PDA

View Full Version : Footballscoop.com really doesn't understand a whole lot about the FCS it would appear

ursus arctos horribilis
November 19th, 2017, 06:39 PM
I ask any of you that follow FCS fairly closely...how does this article make sense?

http://footballscoop.com/news/fcs-playoff-committees-explanation-large-teams-left-may-set-dangerous-precedent/

A 16 team playoff seems like kind of a critically uninformed error to start. Then acting as if playing 3 FBS teams will/would/should not put you in danger of missing a playoff field? How long have we all know that this is a definite danger along with scheduling a D2 when you have an FBS game?

It really misses the point that you put yourself in grave danger if you overdo it with either FBS or D2 and you need to balance a schedule for best outcomes in order to have a quality resume at the end of the year.

They talk about scheduling cupcakes and the problem with that but they completely miss the point that a fairly weak conference schedule along with the FBS losses sort of doomed them.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 19th, 2017, 06:46 PM
AP, IMO, was way behind all the bubble teams for a spot. Nice story but they didn't beat anyone.

FargoBison
November 19th, 2017, 06:49 PM
Agreed, Austin Peay had zero quality wins and their schedule was a major limiting factor in them being able to get a quality win.

The argument for APSU is that they had four quality losses which is a ridiculous argument when you have nothing to show for being able to say you can beat a good team. The committee was consistent, EWU also had no wins over playoff teams and also was left sitting home despite four losses to really good teams.

Professor Chaos
November 19th, 2017, 06:52 PM
Yeah, that article doesn't make much sense. In fact everyone who's making a big deal over APSU getting left out is completely ignoring the fact that they had no quality wins. Why aren't they stumping for McNeese? They won 8 FCS games also. The committee chairman even said in his interview with the NDSU radio guys that APSU had no good wins and that's why they were left out. And for the love of God scoring 30 points on UCF doesn't matter when you give up 70!

I think the more dangerous precedent is the committee rewarding teams scheduling the FCS cupcakes the article refers to and leaving out a team like EWU who scheduled a tough FCS OOC game like NDSU. Having top tier FCS OOC matchups is even more important to help with team differentiation come playoff time than FBS games are.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 19th, 2017, 06:53 PM
AP, IMO, was way behind all the bubble teams for a spot. Nice story but they didn't beat anyone.

My thought as well. I really like their story and love to see a team climb up and make noise but in the end you have to compare things out and the emotion of the story can not override the realities of what happened and like it or not they just did not have a quality win to point to.

Professor Chaos
November 19th, 2017, 06:53 PM
Agreed, Austin Peay had zero quality wins and their schedule was a major limiting factor in them being able to get a quality win.

The argument for APSU is that they had four quality losses which is a ridiculous argument when you have nothing to show for being able to say you can beat a good team. The committee was consistent, EWU also had no wins over playoff teams and also was left sitting home despite four losses to really good teams.
They were consistent for EWU but not for NAU.

Bisonator
November 19th, 2017, 06:54 PM
AP scheduled for the money. Blame their administration.

TheKingpin28
November 19th, 2017, 06:55 PM
I read it and clearly he does not understand how the committee thinks, but let's be honest do any of us after some questionable choices year in and year out. That said, he is doing what some people on here do, look at records and only the W-L against the FCS while excluding the conference or who they lost to. This is quite lazy and show how uninformed he really is. Who cares if a program is turned around? Sustain it and prove that it was not a fluke (I am looking at you ISUb, ISUo, UND, etc...) and come back the following year and show that the committee missed something. The problem is right here with this:

Whoa. Hang on a second? So because Austin Peay scheduled some guarantee games that will help their football operating and recruiting budget tremendously instead of scheduling cupcake FCS teams to simply get a win, they’re ultimately penalized? I fail to see how that logic makes sense.

He believes that it is alright to know you will go 1-2 or 0-3 while trying to pay for your expenditures so that should not have any bearing on the committee's views. I, and many on here, accept that that is wrong. If you want to be a program that needs the money to sustain football, that is fine, but understand, it will come back to bite you. I don't think any team has ever won 8 games and lost to 3 FBS teams in the same season. He is also ignoring the fact that Peay struggled with UTM (7-0), an awful SEMO (38-31), an atrocious TTU (35-28) and their only game to prove they weren't a fluke, JSU, they got manhandled (14-34). This sums it up:

because they played the FBS teams, they didn’t play any additional FCS opponents and forgo an opportunity there to beat an FCS opponent out of conference

He misses the point that Johnson made, that since they did not challenge themselves amongst their peers, they made it clear they were in it for the money and not for the playoffs/championship. That is just my take but he clearly has not been following the FCS for long enough, or he is under the assumption that the only thing that matters is the W-L against the FCS and FBS losses have no bearing even if they are the entire OOC, were just for the money, and they went 0-3.

PaladinFan
November 19th, 2017, 06:56 PM
If you schedule more than 1 FBS game, you run the risk of being left out of the post season because it narrows your margin of error in FCS play.

To me, this is just catacheism. If you want to play multiple FBS teams, you’d better be ready to beat pretty much everyone else.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 19th, 2017, 07:00 PM
Yeah, that article doesn't make much sense. In fact everyone who's making a big deal over APSU getting left out is completely ignoring the fact that they had no quality wins. Why aren't they stumping for McNeese? They won 8 FCS games also. The committee chairman even said in his interview with the NDSU radio guys that APSU had no good wins and that's why they were left out. And for the love of God scoring 30 points on UCF doesn't matter when you give up 70!

I think the more dangerous precedent is the committee rewarding teams scheduling the FCS cupcakes the article refers to and leaving out a team like EWU who scheduled a tough FCS OOC game like NDSU. Having top tier FCS OOC matchups is even more important to help with team differentiation come playoff time than FBS games are.

Completely agree and wanted to mention EWU putting together a decent schedule was one of the things a selection committee alluded to as a benefit a few years back wasn't it? So last week on the show the guys were going back & forth over the selections and they both agreed that the committee does emphasize different things and it is not a very standard practice. SOS was one thing that is normally a reliable spot....but as you pointed out in several spots it did not carry the day for some teams but I think they also have to be expected to win a game or two against that quality schedule.

Reign of Terrier
November 19th, 2017, 07:01 PM
Yeah, you know this one was full of it when it said that a MEAC team should have been considered.

This is basic FCS History IMO

Bisonoline
November 19th, 2017, 07:05 PM
I ask any of you that follow FCS fairly closely...how does this article make sense?

http://footballscoop.com/news/fcs-playoff-committees-explanation-large-teams-left-may-set-dangerous-precedent/

A 16 team playoff seems like kind of a critically uninformed error to start. Then acting as if playing 3 FBS teams will/would/should not put you in danger of missing a playoff field? How long have we all know that this is a definite danger along with scheduling a D2 when you have an FBS game?

It really misses the point that you put yourself in grave danger if you overdo it with either FBS or D2 and you need to balance a schedule for best outcomes in order to have a quality resume at the end of the year.

They talk about scheduling cupcakes and the problem with that but they completely miss the point that a fairly weak conference schedule along with the FBS losses sort of doomed them.
"""
"
Whoa. Hang on a second? So because Austin Peay scheduled some guarantee games that will help their football operating and recruiting budget tremendously instead of scheduling cupcake FCS teams to simply get a win, they’re ultimately penalized? I fail to see how that logic makes sense.
That could set an interesting precedent when FCS programs look to fill their schedule in the coming years. They may effectively have to choose between a guarantee game to help their operating and recruiting budgets, or a shot at an FCS win that moves their bottom line very little in the hopes of making the playoff field, and then having some limitations when it comes to hitting the road to recruit, or to retain and quality attract coaches, or upgrade facilities.."""

Its not like this is a new issue. Teams love the money games but know for the most part it wont help them at the end of the season. What this guy doesnt understand is you have to have Balance in your scheduling. To figure that out the school must figure out what their priorities are. Then schedule accordingly.

Calling AP this years darling is a stretch and in no way should influence the metrics on their selection.

BisonTru
November 19th, 2017, 07:09 PM
Austin Peay until this season was a cupcake that I'm sure many FCS teams would gladly have brought in for a guarantee. They took more money to have FBS games. They needed to beat one if then or JSU to get a spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ursus arctos horribilis
November 19th, 2017, 07:10 PM
If you schedule more than 1 FBS game, you run the risk of being left out of the post season because it narrows your margin of error in FCS play.

To me, this is just catacheism. If you want to play multiple FBS teams, you’d better be ready to beat pretty much everyone else.

Or at least have a high level of confidence that you will win your conference autobid and knowing that this was unlikely you only have the one other choice.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 19th, 2017, 07:37 PM
Yeah, you know this one was full of it when it said that a MEAC team should have been considered.

This is basic FCS History IMO

Yeah comparing that one as an example was fairly WTFish.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 19th, 2017, 07:38 PM
"""
"
That could set an interesting precedent when FCS programs look to fill their schedule in the coming years. They may effectively have to choose between a guarantee game to help their operating and recruiting budgets, or a shot at an FCS win that moves their bottom line very little in the hopes of making the playoff field, and then having some limitations when it comes to hitting the road to recruit, or to retain and quality attract coaches, or upgrade facilities.."""

Its not like this is a new issue. Teams love the money games but know for the most part it wont help them at the end of the season. What this guy doesnt understand is you have to have Balance in your scheduling. To figure that out the school must figure out what their priorities are. Then schedule accordingly.

Calling AP this years darling is a stretch and in no way should influence the metrics on their selection.

While reading it this commercial was all I was thinking of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FFG1NqKzCg

Bisonoline
November 19th, 2017, 08:13 PM
While reading it this commercial was all I was thinking of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FFG1NqKzCg

Correct. Sums it up nicely.

kalm
November 19th, 2017, 08:14 PM
Austin Peay until this season was a cupcake that I'm sure many FCS teams would gladly have brought in for a guarantee. They took more money to have FBS games. They needed to beat one if then or JSU to get a spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is some precedence for this. In 2006, Portland State went 7-4 and 7-2 against DI competition. They beat New Mexico and lost to Cal and Oregon OOC. They finished 6-2 in Big Sky play (better than this year's OVC competition), but had no marquee wins other than the FBS win against UNM. They didn't get an at large.

Kingpin's post is spot on and I'm troubled by the attention ESPN paid APSU and the committee listing them as one of the first two out. Their "quality wins are lower than several teams who didn't get in below them. This argument for APSU is simply emotionally based. They were so bad but now they're better. Great story but that has nothing to do with the metrics mentioned publicly in the media by the committee as well as the handbook. History should matter very little in the selection process. There's enough data points by the end of each season for the selection process to be a cold calculation based on reason and knowable facts rather than things like emotion and history.

Where the author raises a legitimate point is in the scheduling disparity. Teams that need the money are going to schedule more money games. Due to geography, quality programs out west (who don't have the gate like Montana and Montana State) are going to have a more difficult time scheduling weak FCS opponents (MEAC, Big South, Patriot, NEC, SWAC, Pioneer) which is what the committee seems to be rewarding.

Neither of those two circumstances change the reality of comparing resumes based on quantifiable data points like SoS and quality wins. If you need the money or have geographical challenges to scheduling OOC FCS games that's just the rub.

Dismiss all of those excuses and base selections primarily off record, SoS, and quality wins and losses. It requires some time and diligence, but that's achieved every week by 100's of passionate fans on this board for no pay and it's not impossible.

igo4uni
November 19th, 2017, 08:53 PM
There is some precedence for this. In 2006, Portland State went 7-4 and 7-2 against DI competition. They beat New Mexico and lost to Cal and Oregon OOC. They finished 6-2 in Big Sky play (better than this year's OVC competition), but had no marquee wins other than the FBS win against UNM. They didn't get an at large.

Kingpin's post is spot on and I'm troubled by the attention ESPN paid APSU and the committee listing them as one of the first two out. Their "quality wins are lower than several teams who didn't get in below them. This argument for APSU is simply emotionally based. They were so bad but now they're better. Great story but that has nothing to do with the metrics mentioned publicly in the media by the committee as well as the handbook. History should matter very little in the selection process. There's enough data points by the end of each season for the selection process to be a cold calculation based on reason and knowable facts rather than things like emotion and history.

Where the author raises a legitimate point is in the scheduling disparity. Teams that need the money are going to schedule more money games. Due to geography, quality programs out west (who don't have the gate like Montana and Montana State) are going to have a more difficult time scheduling weak FCS opponents (MEAC, Big South, Patriot, NEC, SWAC, Pioneer) which is what the committee seems to be rewarding.

Neither of those two circumstances change the reality of comparing resumes based on quantifiable data points like SoS and quality wins. If you need the money or have geographical challenges to scheduling OOC FCS games that's just the rub.

Dismiss all of those excuses and base selections primarily off record, SoS, and quality wins and losses. It requires some time and diligence, but that's achieved every week by 100's of passionate fans on this board for no pay and it's not impossible.

well said

ElCid
November 19th, 2017, 09:04 PM
This guy is obviously not well informed. People really need to do a better job researching. Or he actually had an agenda. He found what he thought was an interesting angle. Unfortunately it just turned out to be fake news. Something that is not just relegated to politics apparently.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 19th, 2017, 10:54 PM
So Richard Johnson's actual words are fake news?

"We also looked at head-to-head rankings, and because they played the FBS teams, they didn’t play any additional FCS opponents and forgo an opportunity there to beat an FCS opponent out of conference.“

This comes off as chastising APSU for scheduling. First of all, the UCF game was only on the schedule to do a favor to UCF after their cancelled game and they got a waiver to do so - so, it's not like APSU was harming anyone by scheduling that game, and without the cancellation, they would have been 8-3. Second, was it unreasonable to schedule 2 FBS teams? Teams do this all the time - and the person who write the article said so. Should scheduling 2 FBS games be something that's punished? It sure sounded like Richard Johnson was saying that APSU was punished for scheduling 3 FBS teams, even though one was granted because of a special waiver. Which IS ridiculous. Why aren't they being considered as an 8 D-I win team, as they should be?

I had APSU in my bracket because I thought the 2nd placed OVC team would be in the field over a 7-4 team like, say, Northern Arizona. I also think APSU's wins over Tennessee State and UT-Martin should have been more valued than they actually were. But more than that, APSU is exactly the sort of story that would have made the FCS playoffs a lot more fun and interesting. A Samford/APSU first round matchup would have been different and interesting. Instead, we get Samford playing a team they've already faced. Yawn.

JayJ79
November 19th, 2017, 11:11 PM
I just get a chuckle that the guys name is Richard Johnson.
cuz I'm sophisticated like that.

ming01
November 19th, 2017, 11:49 PM
And whats to stop other teams from scheduling 2-3 Fbs teams regardless of how you fare if the committee favors it? Glad they didnt reward them for it. There were other deserving teams.

kalm
November 20th, 2017, 12:10 AM

"We also looked at head-to-head rankings, and because they played the FBS teams, they didn’t play any additional FCS opponents and forgo an opportunity there to beat an FCS opponent out of conference.“

This comes off as chastising APSU for scheduling. First of all, the UCF game was only on the schedule to do a favor to UCF after their cancelled game and they got a waiver to do so - so, it's not like APSU was harming anyone by scheduling that game, and without the cancellation, they would have been 8-3. Second, was it unreasonable to schedule 2 FBS teams? Teams do this all the time - and the person who write the article said so. Should scheduling 2 FBS games be something that's punished? It sure sounded like Richard Johnson was saying that APSU was punished for scheduling 3 FBS teams, even though one was granted because of a special waiver. Which IS ridiculous. Why aren't they being considered as an 8 D-I win team, as they should be?

I had APSU in my bracket because I thought the 2nd placed OVC team would be in the field over a 7-4 team like, say, Northern Arizona. I also think APSU's wins over Tennessee State and UT-Martin should have been more valued than they actually were. But more than that, APSU is exactly the sort of story that would have made the FCS playoffs a lot more fun and interesting. A Samford/APSU first round matchup would have been different and interesting. Instead, we get Samford playing a team they've already faced. Yawn.

Very valid points.

Professor Chaos
November 20th, 2017, 06:56 AM

I don't have a problem with the message that playing multiple FBS games is bad. That leaves a team with 1 or 0 OOC spots for FCS games. You know what makes the committee's very difficult job easier? Having a good sample size of OOC games to compare FCS teams and conferences. That's why I don't like the Southland's 9 game conference schedule, I don't like D2 games, and I don't like more than 1 FBS game on the schedule per season.

And calling Tennessee St and UT Martin good wins is very very generous. Looking for excuses to put APSU in the field for the "story" is just sad IMO. This ain't pro wrastlin'.

Cocky
November 20th, 2017, 07:27 AM
I don't have a problem with the message that playing multiple FBS games is bad. That leaves a team with 1 or 0 OOC spots for FCS games. You know what makes the committee's very difficult job easier? Having a good sample size of OOC games to compare FCS teams and conferences. That's why I don't like the Southland's 9 game conference schedule, I don't like D2 games, and I don't like more than 1 FBS game on the schedule per season.

And calling Tennessee St and UT Martin good wins is very very generous. Looking for excuses to put APSU in the field for the "story" is just sad IMO. This ain't pro wrastlin'.
Tn State probably has the best FBS win of any FCS team. Win over them is as good as a win over SD, YSU, ISUr, Furman, Montana, EWU or Richmond. Their only losses were in conference. Tn State had one the best defenses in the nation and very talented. UTM only had one OOC loss to Ole Miss. The OVC teams with a winning record had one FCS loss, EIU v ISUr.

The committees issue is not valuing winning enough. SOS is bull**** when teams like JSU cant get others, in our area, to schedule games. Tell the NDSU AD to schedule a series with us. Our AD will accept today. But he has no need to wait by the phone because NDSU wont be calling.

Professor Chaos
November 20th, 2017, 07:50 AM
Tn State probably has the best FBS win of any FCS team. Win over them is as good as a win over SD, YSU, ISUr, Furman, Montana, EWU or Richmond. Their only losses were in conference. Tn State had one the best defenses in the nation and very talented. UTM only had one OOC loss to Ole Miss. The OVC teams with a winning record had one FCS loss, EIU v ISUr.

The committees issue is not valuing winning enough. SOS is bull**** when teams like JSU cant get others, in our area, to schedule games. Tell the NDSU AD to schedule a series with us. Our AD will accept today. But he has no need to wait by the phone because NDSU wont be calling.
So Tennessee St had a good win. They were also Tennessee Tech's only win of the year (which happened the week after Austin Peay squeaked by TSU by 4). OOC UT Martin played hapless Chattanooga (without Bennefield) and a D2 so I'd hope they only had the one OOC loss to Ole Miss. UTM also has a horrendous loss of their own to 3-8 Murray St (which was Murray's only D1 win other than the aforementioned TTU). That was also the week after Austin Peay squeaked by UTM by 7. Neither of those teams are very good so it's not a big deal in terms of playoff consideration that Austin Peay has 1 score wins over each.

As far as NDSU talking to JSU that just happened in the offseason prior to 2016 but JSU didn't want to come up to Fargo for the 2016 FCS Kickoff probably because NDSU didn't want to return the trip and/or play in future FCS Kickoff games. I'd guarantee NDSU would be open for a home/home with JSU but the earliest they could play a road game would be 2021 or 2023. I doubt there's many schools in the FCS that NDSU hasn't talked to in the last 4 years about scheduling a game but getting them to agree to a road game is going to take some doing (or else be scheduled several years in advance).

JSUSoutherner
November 20th, 2017, 07:57 AM
So Tennessee St had a good win. They were also Tennessee Tech's only win of the year (which happened the week after Austin Peay squeaked by TSU by 4). OOC UT Martin played hapless Chattanooga (without Bennefield) and a D2 so I'd hope they only had the one OOC loss to Ole Miss. UTM also has a horrendous loss of their own to 3-8 Murray St (which was Murray's only D1 win other than the aforementioned TTU). That was also the week after Austin Peay squeaked by UTM by 7. Neither of those teams are very good so it's not a big deal in terms of playoff consideration that Austin Peay has 1 score wins over each.

As far as NDSU talking to JSU that just happened in the offseason prior to 2016 but JSU didn't want to come up to Fargo for the 2016 FCS Kickoff probably because NDSU didn't want to return the trip and/or play in future FCS Kickoff games. I'd guarantee NDSU would be open for a home/home with JSU but the earliest they could play a road game would be 2021 or 2023. I doubt there's many schools in the FCS that NDSU hasn't talked to in the last 4 years about scheduling a game but getting them to agree to a road game is going to take some doing (or else be scheduled several years in advance).

You sure? I'm 98% sure we already had UTC lined up in the kickoff game before the offseason even started.

Edit: never mind, I got my years mixed up.

Still don't remember hearing anything about a potential NDSU matchup.

ElCid
November 20th, 2017, 08:02 AM
APSU had no premier wins. Look at the OVC ranks in any computer rating. They had lots of wins to mediocre teams and losses to mediocre FBS and one very good FCS. IF they had had another FCS team, vs yet another FBS, then they might have another win and it might have been against a good team, or they might have been curb stomped.......but they didn't so we will never know. They had no idea that they would nearly run their FCS competition when they made this schedule. Their recent history said otherwise. They got two, then three FBS to give their finances a shot. Good on them to get flush in cash and turn things around maybe. The fact that they did well overall in W/Ls, and appear to be turning around, was/is a bonus, but in no way made them playoff ready or worthy. Case closed.

The fact that this guys was trying to spin this into something it was not makes it fake. It had no basis in the reality of FCS football AND APSU recent history.

Professor Chaos
November 20th, 2017, 08:03 AM
You sure? I'm 98% sure we already had UTC lined up in the kickoff game before the offseason even started.

Edit: never mind, I got my years mixed up.

Still don't remember hearing anything about a potential NDSU matchup.
I believe it was pushed for by ESPN (since it would've been an FCS Championship rematch) but the schools couldn't come to an agreement because JSU wanted a return game that NDSU didn't want to agree to. I believe JMU was in the conversation also but talks broke down for the same reason. Eventually Charleston Southern agreed to do it for a $300K (or maybe slightly over) guarantee.

POD Knows
November 20th, 2017, 08:05 AM

Dismiss all of those excuses and base selections primarily off record, SoS, and quality wins and losses. It requires some time and diligence, but that's achieved every week by 100's of passionate fans on this board for no pay and it's not impossible.xhurrayxxhurrayx

kalm
November 20th, 2017, 08:14 AM
Tn State probably has the best FBS win of any FCS team. Win over them is as good as a win over SD, YSU, ISUr, Furman, Montana, EWU or Richmond.

The committees issue is not valuing winning enough. SOS is bull****

xlolx

You're just like the selection committee I guess...unwilling to drill down even a little to see the resume for what it is.

Georgia State is a good win because they're 6-3! They do not have a single win against a team with a winning record and the combined record of the teams they've won against is 15-57. This includes one score wins against 2-9 Coastal and 1-9 Georgia Southern. xrotatehx

But let's pretend that SoS is bull****. Drake should have been one of the last in or first out. Kennesaw should be a seed!

xlolx

Professor
November 20th, 2017, 08:28 AM
Hmm a team penalized due to trying to help put money to their bottom line. But then that same team has to bid to the NCAA. Interesting

cx500d
November 20th, 2017, 04:59 PM
xlolx

You're just like the selection committee I guess...unwilling to drill down even a little to see the resume for what it is.

Georgia State is a good win because they're 6-3! They do not have a single win against a team with a winning record and the combined record of the teams they've won against is 15-57. This includes one score wins against 2-9 Coastal and 1-9 Georgia Southern. xrotatehx

But let's pretend that SoS is bull****. Drake should have been one of the last in or first out. Kennesaw should be a seed!

xlolx

Drake?

Lorne_Malvo
November 20th, 2017, 05:05 PM
Grave danger?
Is there another kind?

Sorry I couldn't help myself. :)

kalm
November 20th, 2017, 06:56 PM
Drake?

Sarcasm?

cx500d