PDA

View Full Version : South Dakota at Nichols State

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Coyote Fan
November 19th, 2017, 06:25 PM
This should be an interesting game. I think if the venues were switched this one would solidly go in the win column for the Coyotes. Since Nichols is the host I could see either team winning. The Coyotes at one point in the season appeared to be clearly the better team but are very much trending down at this point. The Coyotes are one of those teams that could win by 4 touchdowns or lay and egg and be taken out themselves by a couple of scores.

I think Nichols either wins a close one decided in the fourth quarter or the Coyotes have the game well in hand prior to the final quarter. If Nichols is within 1 score going into the fourth I like their chances to pull it out.

cx500d
November 19th, 2017, 06:28 PM
This should be an interesting game. I think if the venues were switched this one would solidly go in the win column for the Coyotes. Since Nichols is the host I could see either team winning. The Coyotes at one point in the season appeared to be clearly the better team but are very much trending down at this point. The Coyotes are one of those teams that could win by 4 touchdowns or lay and egg and be taken out themselves by a couple of scores.

I think Nichols either wins a close one decided in the fourth quarter or the Coyotes have the game well in hand prior to the final quarter. If Nichols is within 1 score going into the fourth I like their chances to pull it out.

Agree... USD is either going to click, or they are going to self destruct.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 19th, 2017, 06:30 PM
Is Streveler healthy right now?

cx500d
November 19th, 2017, 06:32 PM

He seemed fine yesterday. He does so much though that I think he fades a bit at the end of games; he has to be gassed doing that much scrambling and throwing on the run. Its got to affect his accuracy at the end. He is an amazing athlete, though.

Coyote Fan
November 19th, 2017, 06:35 PM

Bob Nielson in the press conference on Saturday said that Streveler could barely hold a football because his hand was so swollen in the week leading up to the game. That explains why he didn't look like himself throwing the football. He was way off on his throws because of it. The Coyotes actually ran the football quite effectively against the Jacks and if they can do that again they can be ok. If the Coyotes are to win they need to show the Southerners what the big mid west boys can do along the line of scrimmage.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 19th, 2017, 06:37 PM
Bob Nielson in the press conference on Saturday said that Streveler could barely hold a football because his hand was so swollen in the week leading up to the game. That explains why he didn't look like himself throwing the football. He was way off on his throws because of it. The Coyotes actually ran the football quite effectively against the Jacks and if they can do that again they can be ok. If the Coyotes are to win they need to show the Southerners what the big mid west boys can do along the line of scrimmage.

If Steveler can run effectively, the Coyotes win by 2 TDs. He's hard to game plan for, especially for a team not use to seeing a guy like him.

geaux_sioux
November 19th, 2017, 06:41 PM
That would explain why he wore gloves for the first time that I’ve seen.

katss07
November 19th, 2017, 06:54 PM
IMHO, there is too much turmoil within the USD program. They get into the playoffs, but are coming off losing 4 of 5. 2 of those loses are to average teams. ISUr is average at best and UNI is a decent team, but nothing special. Throw in the rapist stuff and the program is an absolute mess. Slowly but surley, they are self destructing. Now they face a tough opponent, on the road in Louisiana.

Meanwhile, Nicholls has to feel great. I promise no team is happier to be playing on Thanksgiving weekend than the Colonels. Despite a tough loss to SELA, thay have played okay all season. They have not lossed at home all season long. If they get some students to stick around, they could have a 7,000 plus crowd. They are in great position and have nothing to lose.

I think USD keeps it close for a bit, but after a while Nicholls pulls away.

Prediction: Nicholls 38-24 SD

FargoBison
November 19th, 2017, 07:02 PM
USD is so reliant in Streveler, if he is on they could torch Nicholls and if he isn't they could get torched.

I'm more skeptical about them if they win, not sure that team has a lot of gas left in the tank and that could be spell trouble in back to back longish road games.

PantherRob82
November 19th, 2017, 07:04 PM
USD wins by 14 plus or loses by 3.

Yote 53
November 19th, 2017, 07:30 PM
Turmoil? LOL, you guys have no clue. So you know what is going on inside a program from behind a keyboard located hundreds of miles away. Ok.

alvin.kmiec
November 19th, 2017, 07:38 PM
If one program that deserves to be in the playoffs it’s Nicholls. A program that went from the worst to one of the best in the FCS this year I am happy for them. They have been thought a lot of things over the years from hurricanes to state budget cuts that was going to cut the football program. I sure wish we didn’t have to face them in the second round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

one_armed_man
November 19th, 2017, 07:50 PM
Central Arkansas didn't play Nicholls this year so I don't have that to lean on. I know that if the same team that played TA&M shows up, it will be NSU by two scores.

TheRealJacks
November 19th, 2017, 07:56 PM
USD by a lot

UpstateBison
November 19th, 2017, 08:17 PM
This is a game that is the Coyotes to lose. Nichols beat IW, HB, ACU & NWST by a combined 26 points. SHSU put 66 on them. If Streveler is healthy, Yotes by 3 scores. Go Yotes.

X-Factor
November 19th, 2017, 08:23 PM
USD by 17 or more

BEAR
November 19th, 2017, 08:39 PM
I don't even know why this is a thread. I mean if any MVFC school can't beat a fourth place Softland conference cream puff team.....then I just don't know about the perceived strength of the MVFC anymore...xlolx

UpstateBison
November 19th, 2017, 08:47 PM
It is fun to discuss these games. Serious question. When was the last time a seeded SLC team won a quarterfinal game?

katss07
November 19th, 2017, 09:02 PM
Turmoil? LOL, you guys have no clue. So you know what is going on inside a program from behind a keyboard located hundreds of miles away. Ok.

Rape issues and losing 4 of 5 is an issue. Or are you okay with these things as a Coyote fan.

semobison
November 19th, 2017, 09:18 PM
Rape issues and losing 4 of 5 is an issue. Or are you okay with these things as a Coyote fan.

First of all in your previous post you said USD lost to two average teams. 3 of their 4 losses are to playoff teams and they beat WIU a playoff team. In their loss to UNI they had a 490 to 283 total yard advantage. Late turnovers cost them. Against SDSU Saturday they had a 583-386 total yardage advantage and lost by 3. The Yotes led the Valley in total offense. Defense is their biggest issue but I doubt Nichols will be able to outscore them!

Sammy94
November 19th, 2017, 09:28 PM
USD wins but how in the hell did Nicholls win the bid for this game?

igo4uni
November 19th, 2017, 09:29 PM
i predict USD by 9

katss07
November 19th, 2017, 09:32 PM
First of all in your previous post you said USD lost to two average teams. 3 of their 4 losses are to playoff teams and they beat WIU a playoff team. In their loss to UNI they had a 490 to 283 total yard advantage. Late turnovers cost them. Against SDSU Saturday they had a 583-386 total yardage advantage and lost by 3. The Yotes led the Valley in total offense. Defense is their biggest issue but I doubt Nichols will be able to outscore them!

I understand the Yotes are a good team. But I think Nicholls will come out and beat them. Just my prediction, and I get why people think SD will win. Also sets up a fun matchup with SHSU (which Bearkats would win in my sorta biased opinion). But I think that, completely unbiased, Nicholls will advance. They have a decent defense and despite one bad preformance against SHSU, they had a great year by Colonel standards. At home, all the issues that are adding up off on defense, I thin Nicholls comes out winners.

semobison
November 19th, 2017, 09:39 PM
I understand the Yotes are a good team. But I think Nicholls will come out and beat them. Just my prediction, and I get why people think SD will win. Also sets up a fun matchup with SHSU (which Bearkats would win in my sorta biased opinion). But I think that, completely unbiased, Nicholls will advance. They have a decent defense and despite one bad preformance against SHSU, they had a great year by Colonel standards. At home, all the issues that are adding up off on defense, I thin Nicholls comes out winners.

Well, any given Saturday. Yotes are interesting, could be one and done if they turn the ball over but they also have the offensive power to make a deep run.

BEAR
November 19th, 2017, 09:41 PM
It is fun to discuss these games. Serious question. When was the last time a seeded SLC team won a quarterfinal game?

Even better question would be when was the last time the SLC got 4 or 5 teams in the playoffs like some conferences do? The more teams included the better chance the conference has to make it past certain rounds. Getting two in annually leaves little chance for that to happen.

cx500d
November 19th, 2017, 09:41 PM
The big thing about the Yotes, which is different than YSU, is they kick their rapists off the team. As such, their secondary may be suspect, though they seemed to handle SDSU better than we did.

katss07
November 19th, 2017, 09:43 PM
CollegeSportsMadness, a site that I tend to find very informative and typically near spot on with their predictions, has USD by 2 touchdowns. They say if the USD quarterback is beaten up, Nicholls should win. Looks like we have a situation where health affects a teams outcome. Its really too bad. It will help Nicholls and or SHSU, but you never want a guy hurt going into the playoffs. Enemy team or not, hope he gets a bit better for the game Saturday.

lionsrking2
November 19th, 2017, 09:50 PM
This is a good matchup for Nicholls and I expect they'll win this game at home. They should be able to put up some points and have the team speed and athleticism on defense to slow down the Yotes offense. Thibodaux is also a tough place to play.

cx500d
November 19th, 2017, 09:53 PM
This is a good matchup for Nicholls and I expect they'll win this game at home. They should be able to put up some points and have the team speed and athleticism on defense to slow down the Yotes offense. Thibodaux is also a tough place to play.

There it is: #SouthernSpeed

Yotes might as well give up now.

lionsrking2
November 19th, 2017, 09:53 PM
USD wins but how in the hell did Nicholls win the bid for this game?

Easy. I'm sure they got some help with the bid from local businesses and they'll sell the tickets. They've got the fever in Thibodaux.

lionsrking2
November 19th, 2017, 09:54 PM

Southern or not, they have plenty of team speed.

TheKingpin28
November 19th, 2017, 09:58 PM

I miss the #SouthernSpeed argument days.

igo4uni
November 19th, 2017, 10:12 PM
Thibodaux is also a tough place to play.

also a tough place to spell

igo4uni
November 19th, 2017, 10:13 PM
also a tough place to spell

and pronounce

UpstateBison
November 19th, 2017, 10:17 PM
Even better question would be when was the last time the SLC got 4 or 5 teams in the playoffs like some conferences do? The more teams included the better chance the conference has to make it past certain rounds. Getting two in annually leaves little chance for that to happen.

You avoided my question. Only 8 teams get seeded. Does not matter how many conference teams make the playoffs.

cx500d
November 19th, 2017, 10:22 PM
and pronounce

Also, 75% of the people in that Parish have the last name of Thibodeaux (I guess they got tired of writing it on postal envelopes back in the day so abbreviated the town name for simplicity). The other 25% have the last name of Boudreaux.

McNeese75
November 19th, 2017, 10:41 PM
and pronounce

And get to xnodx

Yotes are gonna know they are deep in bayou country down there. Some strange juju **** goes on in that town when you play there.

ming01
November 19th, 2017, 10:41 PM
USD by 10-14

Bisonwinagn
November 19th, 2017, 10:57 PM
Easy. I'm sure they got some help with the bid from local businesses and they'll sell the tickets. They've got the fever in Thibodaux.

Wish they would release the bids. I would of thought USD would bid extra high being it's their first time in the playoffs. Doesn't help them much playing on the road. Really disappointed in the amount of money they were willing to spend.

Bisonoline
November 19th, 2017, 11:02 PM
Wish they would release the bids. I would of thought USD would bid extra high being it's their first time in the playoffs. Doesn't help them much playing on the road. Really disappointed in the amount of money they were willing to spend.

I think the bids had to be in at the beginning of the season.

JayJ79
November 19th, 2017, 11:07 PM
Also, 75% of the people in that Parish have the last name of Thibodeaux (I guess they got tired of writing it on postal envelopes back in the day so abbreviated the town name for simplicity). The other 25% have the last name of Boudreaux.

what about Boucher?

UpstateBison
November 19th, 2017, 11:08 PM
Pretty easy. Take the over.

cx500d
November 19th, 2017, 11:49 PM
what about Boucher?

Funny you should bring that up. Their QB is named Boucher. Here's his pic:

https://m.popkey.co/b43ffa/oryX4.gif

CappinHard
November 20th, 2017, 12:22 AM

I hope the odds makers have the same sentiment as you and a few others... I would take USD in a heart beat and laugh all the way to the bank. Unfortunately, they won't think that way. The spread will be around 17, which is what I think USD wins by.

JayJ79
November 20th, 2017, 12:42 AM
Funny you should bring that up. Their QB is named Boucher. Here's his pic:

https://m.popkey.co/b43ffa/oryX4.gif

well, they are a state university in south central (kinda) Louisiana.

sgt smash
November 20th, 2017, 01:11 AM
USD is going to boat race that entire corner of the bracket. They are the second best team on that side of the bracket.

Hood
November 20th, 2017, 01:54 AM
Go figure the one year we host a playoff game, I have to work.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 20th, 2017, 05:14 AM
Go figure the one year we host a playoff game, I have to work.

Easy...sick day...xnodx

POD Knows
November 20th, 2017, 07:55 AM
I got Nichols in this game, no idea why other than the fact that I think USD has forgotten how to win. I think USD is a better football team but the grind of the last three weeks takes a toll. I wouldn't be surprised however, if USD came out and took these guys down by 40 or so, they are just a real hard team to peg.

ElCid
November 20th, 2017, 08:08 AM
I got Nichols in this game, no idea why other than the fact that I think USD has forgotten how to win. I think USD is a better football team but the grind of the last three weeks takes a toll. I wouldn't be surprised however, if USD came out and took these guys down by 40 or so, they are just a real hard team to peg.

All really good points and I was thinking the same things. So I went somewhere in the middle and I got SD by 14 right now. I will rethink that but will probably go with my first impression.

Bison56
November 20th, 2017, 08:11 AM

Never fails xlolx

POD Knows
November 20th, 2017, 08:22 AM
All really good points and I was thinking the same things. So I went somewhere in the middle and I got SD by 14 right now. I will rethink that but will probably go with my first impression.USD should have beaten SDSU this past weekend but they find ways to lose, that happens with programs that have no real tradition of winning. Last Saturday's game was their Super Bowl for the year, they lost and they might phone it in this weekend, but who knows. I bet Nicholls was thinking they were out of the playoff hunt and got in while USD backed into the playoffs, that creates a different mindset at game time.

clenz
November 20th, 2017, 08:59 AM
I think the bids had to be in at the beginning of the season.
Week 7 or 8 actually.

katss07
November 20th, 2017, 09:06 AM
USD should have beaten SDSU this past weekend but they find ways to lose, that happens with programs that have no real tradition of winning. Last Saturday's game was their Super Bowl for the year, they lost and they might phone it in this weekend, but who knows. I bet Nicholls was thinking they were out of the playoff hunt and got in while USD backed into the playoffs, that creates a different mindset at game time.

This is what I am banking on. I think Nicholls will come out with energy. Being in Nicholls helps, as USD has to travel and NSU gets to stay home. I think Nicholls will come out with energy and Forecade will have a great game. I think USD will get down early and pack it in. Their defense is suspect and their QB is banged up. Plus, a cold team entering the playoffs is not typically going to do great. USD has faced many better teams that Nicholls (four or five maybe) but they lost 4 of those games and are not playing well. Backing into the playoffs is not good.

Yote 53
November 20th, 2017, 09:42 AM
The big thing about the Yotes, which is different than YSU, is they kick their rapists off the team. As such, their secondary may be suspect, though they seemed to handle SDSU better than we did.

To be clear, they are alleged rapists. We need to do a better job as a country of not convicting people in the court of public opinion before they have had their day in court and all evidence is heard. None of us know what happened there and the allegations could be true, they could be false. That said, yes, they were kicked off the team for a violation of team rules. That rule? Putting themselves in this position in the first place. They should be kicked off and it is doubtful they will ever be back.

Yote 53
November 20th, 2017, 09:47 AM
USD should have beaten SDSU this past weekend but they find ways to lose, that happens with programs that have no real tradition of winning. Last Saturday's game was their Super Bowl for the year, they lost and they might phone it in this weekend, but who knows. I bet Nicholls was thinking they were out of the playoff hunt and got in while USD backed into the playoffs, that creates a different mindset at game time.

I can tell you what the mindset is, relief. A chance for a fresh start. Everybody is 0-0 now and every team in the field has a chance to win the title. Frankly, it's time for some redemption. USD going to take out a few weeks worth of frustration on Nichols.

Sammy94
November 20th, 2017, 09:49 AM
USD is going to boat race that entire corner of the bracket. They are the second best team on that side of the bracket.

Come on now. I don't think Sam has ever lost a playoff game at home.

POD Knows
November 20th, 2017, 09:56 AM
I can tell you what the mindset is, relief. A chance for a fresh start. Everybody is 0-0 now and every team in the field has a chance to win the title. Frankly, it's time for some redemption. USD going to take out a few weeks worth of frustration on Nichols.I hope so but I didn't pick you guys which is probably a good thing for USD.

Daytripper
November 20th, 2017, 10:08 AM

2015 SHSU team defeated Colgate. What's your point?

Evolution Prime
November 20th, 2017, 10:20 AM
South Dakota - 52
Nicholls State - 13

POD Knows
November 20th, 2017, 10:53 AM
South Dakota - 52
Nicholls State - 13This would be hilarious

Sammy94
November 20th, 2017, 11:00 AM
2015 SHSU team defeated Colgate. What's your point?

2015 Sam did it but it was a #4 McNeese. Colgate was terrible that year. We also beat a seeded Villanova team the year before that but don't really know what past games mean for 2017.

Daytripper
November 20th, 2017, 11:02 AM
2015 Sam did it but it was a #4 McNeese. Colgate was terrible that year.

I thought McNeese was the second round game in Lake Charles..

Sammy94
November 20th, 2017, 11:06 AM
I thought McNeese was the second round game in Lake Charles..

It was they were the #4 seed that year.

CappinHard
November 20th, 2017, 11:08 AM
This is what I am banking on. I think Nicholls will come out with energy. Being in Nicholls helps, as USD has to travel and NSU gets to stay home. I think Nicholls will come out with energy and Forecade will have a great game. I think USD will get down early and pack it in. Their defense is suspect and their QB is banged up. Plus, a cold team entering the playoffs is not typically going to do great. USD has faced many better teams that Nicholls (four or five maybe) but they lost 4 of those games and are not playing well. Backing into the playoffs is not good.

They just took the #5 seed to the wire, losing by 3... I don't know if you can classify that as "not playing well".

Daytripper
November 20th, 2017, 11:08 AM
It was they were the #4 seed that year.

His original question was when was the last time a seeded SLC team won a quarterfinal game? Colgate.

Sammy94
November 20th, 2017, 11:10 AM
His original question was when was the last time a seeded SLC team won a quarterfinal game? Colgate.

That would be Villanova in 2014. How in the hell did that Colgate team make it that far? Who did they beat?

clenz
November 20th, 2017, 11:12 AM
They just took the #5 seed to the wire, losing by 3... I don't know if you can classify that as "not playing well".
Led UNI with 3 minutes left in that game as well.
Beat Western Illinois

Really, Illinois State was their only real let down of a game.

Sammy94
November 20th, 2017, 11:13 AM
I'm wrong on both, Sam was not seeded either year.

Daytripper
November 20th, 2017, 11:38 AM
I'm wrong on both, Sam was not seeded either year.

Yeah. My bad, also.. I forgot that we weren't seeded.

jacksfan29
November 20th, 2017, 11:39 AM

Look back at the history of SDSU v USD in their dome. They always play us close, even when they suck. SDSU did not play well on Saturday, even the coaches admitted as much.

USD are on their heels, 1-4 to finish the season does not inspire confidence. They were absolutely hammered in Fargo. That was just ugly. They do not look good, he's hurting and they do not play well away from that dome. They play ugly, sloppy, chippy and dirty (especially #44) football. If Nicholl's can throw the ball and have any speed USD could be in trouble.

katss07
November 20th, 2017, 11:47 AM
Look back at the history of SDSU v USD in their dome. They always play us close, even when they suck. SDSU did not play well on Saturday, even the coaches admitted as much.

USD are on their heels, 1-4 to finish the season does not inspire confidence. They were absolutely hammered in Fargo. That was just ugly. They do not look good, he's hurting and they do not play well away from that dome. They play ugly, sloppy, chippy and dirty (especially #44) football. If Nicholl's can throw the ball and have any speed USD could be in trouble.

Don’t bet on Nicholls being able to throw the ball. They couldn’t do it against SELA. But SELA has a better defensive unit than South Dakota as a whole. Yes, I have watched 3 USD games this season. ISUr, NDSU and some of SDSU game. All of the games they were less than impressive. Many teams kept it closer with the Bison than USD did. I understand the loss to SDSU, the Jacks are good. But they shouldn’t have lossed to ISUr.

Any USD fans making the trip? Also what is the word about the Coyote quarterback?

PantherRob82
November 20th, 2017, 11:48 AM
I love that this thread is basically NDSU vs SHSU. xlolx

Yote 53
November 20th, 2017, 11:49 AM
It's a proxy war.

Sammy94
November 20th, 2017, 12:43 PM
If USD wins, I will love the fact they have back to back long road trips. Nicholls must have went to a Manning to fork over some dough.

clenz
November 20th, 2017, 12:51 PM
If USD wins, I will love the fact they have back to back long road trips. Nicholls must have went to a Manning to fork over some dough.
I would bet USD didn't bid much. At the time bids were due USD was 6-0 or 6-1. Didn't think they'd need to bid much/at all.

The long trip thing shouldn't be ignored. It's why I'm confused why USD/UNI weren't flipped.

UNI is hosting Monmouth then going to SDSU on a bus.

Since Monmouth is already on a plane why not send them to USD (since they'd be locked into 2 trips to SD anyway). UNI would have out bid Nicholls.

UNI hosts Nicholls then to SHSU
USD hosts Monmouth then to SDSU on a bus

It takes out back to back long trips for everyone involved (unless Monmouth pulled a big upset over either UNI or USD)

katss07
November 20th, 2017, 12:56 PM

Yeah, no idea how or why Nicholls is hosting a first round game. You’d think USD would push to host a game, but I’m guessing they maybe thought they had a first round bye. This team’s slide has been crazy and unfortunate.

Back to back longs trips could hurt USD, but I don’t think it would have a huge affect. Streveler’s health is what I would be worried about for the Coyotes. If he gets hurt in a win, they are toast against the Kats. If he gets hurt early in the game, Nicholls has a shot. If he is good to go, you would have to hope he doesn’t get hit. If he isn’t, its up to the backup. Coyotes O-Line has a big job to do on Saturday.

Bison56
November 20th, 2017, 01:15 PM
Yeah, no idea how or why Nicholls is hosting a first round game. You’d think USD would push to host a game, but I’m guessing they maybe thought they had a first round bye. This team’s slide has been crazy and unfortunate.

Back to back longs trips could hurt USD, but I don’t think it would have a huge affect. Streveler’s health is what I would be worried about for the Coyotes. If he gets hurt in a win, they are toast against the Kats. If he gets hurt early in the game, Nicholls has a shot. If he is good to go, you would have to hope he doesn’t get hit. If he isn’t, its up to the backup. Coyotes O-Line has a big job to do on Saturday.

that's not how it works.

clenz
November 20th, 2017, 01:17 PM
that's not how it works.
Right but I thought the same thing.

Bids are due in like week 7 or 8.

At that point USD was 6-0 or 6-1 and ranked in the top 5.

It's entirely possible their AD went "We'll be seeded so it won't matter" and simply didn't bid or just did the minimum.

Yote 53
November 20th, 2017, 01:22 PM
Clenz, that is not how our AD thinks and not how anybody at USD thinks. We know the MVFC is a meatgrinder. Look at the schedule and see @UNI, @NDSU, SDSU and say "nah, we good, we gonna win out". No way anybody at USD thought that. Remember, we're a school that basically bought all the home games we could for a women's basketball tournament. Guarantee we put up a good bid for football.

I'm betting somebody at Nicholls stepped up and put up an out of reach bid.

mango433
November 20th, 2017, 01:28 PM

It really hasn't been that crazy. Their first 6 opponents had a combined record of 26-40 and their win over Bowling Green isn't that impressive considering they are 2-9. The final 5 games, their opponents had a record of 36-19, which includes a 6-5 Illinois State team and a 4-7 Southern Illinois team. Basically all of their in conference wins game against the bottom half of the league, with the exception of Western Illinois.

katss07
November 20th, 2017, 01:33 PM
It really hasn't been that crazy. Their first 6 opponents had a combined record of 26-40 and their win over Bowling Green isn't that impressive considering they are 2-9. The final 5 games, their opponents had a record of 36-19, which includes a 6-5 Illinois State team and a 4-7 Southern Illinois team. Basically all of their in conference wins game against the bottom half of the league, with the exception of Western Illinois.

Obviously they have no real good wins outside of Western Illinois. BGSU win is decent but nothing special. I still would have expected them to win two or three of the last five and earn a seed. But to win only ONE game? I think it is a bit crazy. And now they are facing a good team in the playoffs, on the road, in round one.

I guess what I am saying is, if I told someone on here two months ago that USD would be playing an 8-3 Nicholls team in on the road in round one, would they call me crazy? I think they would.

goyotes
November 20th, 2017, 01:35 PM
Clenz, that is not how our AD thinks and not how anybody at USD thinks. We know the MVFC is a meatgrinder. Look at the schedule and see @UNI, @NDSU, SDSU and say "nah, we good, we gonna win out". No way anybody at USD thought that. Remember, we're a school that basically bought all the home games we could for a women's basketball tournament. Guarantee we put up a good bid for football.

Agree 100% with 53. But then again, maybe USD, knowing that other teams not used to playing in domes seem to have a lot of cramping issues, decided in the spirit of good sportsmanship to forfeit any home field advantage.

katss07
November 20th, 2017, 01:40 PM

Probably so. Just thought maybe an issue on the USD AD’s part but I guess that doesn’t work that way. Nicholls has a decent fan base and I’m sure they wanted to host round one. It is crazy enough that they got in for the first time in 30 years, so a home game means a lot to this program. I mean look at the SELA game. They basically filled Strawberry Stadium by themselves. Just think it is strange that a Nicholls some how out bid a USD. Coyotes have a good attendance. Only other case I can think of that an SLC team has outbid a power conference team for a round one game was last season in the game between UCA and ISUr.

Maybe what it comes down to, USD played Bowling Green. Nicholls played Texas A&M.

Yote 53
November 20th, 2017, 01:52 PM
Well, I know that USD beat Bowling Green. What was the Nicholls v Texas A&M result?

clenz
November 20th, 2017, 01:59 PM
Well, I know that USD beat Bowling Green. What was the Nicholls v Texas A&M result?
Are you really trying to compare TAMU to Bowling Green?

That's like saying

"We beat North Dakota in the OOC, how did your game against Northern Iowa turn out"

semobison
November 20th, 2017, 02:05 PM

What is crazy is in their losses to UNI and SDSU they had over 200 yards more total offense in both games. The Bison handled them fairly easy and then I looked at the stats and the Yotes had 440 yards of offense....but only 14 points. Their offense and especially Streveler are good!

Thumper 76
November 20th, 2017, 02:10 PM
I’ve seen how badly a big loss to end the season can affect a team in their playoff game. In 15 when SDSU blew a chance at a seed at WIU they came out flatter than a week old open can of pop against Montana and didn’t wake up till the second half, then it was too late. I wouldn’t be surprised with any result in this game tbh.

This is true. Every game at the dome the last three times have been close no matter how awful the puppies have been.

That's like saying

"We beat North Dakota in the OOC, how did your game against Northern Iowa turn out"

You mean it’s like saying “we beat Drake in our OOC, how did your game vs UNI turn out”.

LuckyKat
November 20th, 2017, 02:11 PM
Come on now. I don't think Sam has ever lost a playoff game at home.

Never,

Yote 53
November 20th, 2017, 02:13 PM

That's like saying

No. I was asking what the result of the game was because I have no idea. I assume aTm won or I would have heard about it because Kevin Sumlin would have been fired the next day. I was wondering if it was a close game that somebody would draw some sort of comparison. If it was a blowout I don't know why it was brought up, anyone can get blown out by a P5 school, there's nothing special in that.

McNeese75
November 20th, 2017, 02:22 PM
No. I was asking what the result of the game was because I have no idea. I assume aTm won or I would have heard about it because Kevin Sumlin would have been fired the next day. I was wondering if it was a close game that somebody would draw some sort of comparison. If it was a blowout I don't know why it was brought up, anyone can get blown out by a P5 school, there's nothing special in that.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=400933852

(https://www.sbnation.com/2017/9/9/16282238/nicholls-state-texas-am-updates-game-2017-upset)https://www.sbnation.com/2017/9/9/16282238/nicholls-state-texas-am-updates-game-2017-upset

Yote 53
November 20th, 2017, 02:25 PM
10 point game. I did not know that.

clenz
November 20th, 2017, 02:28 PM
What is crazy is in their losses to UNI and SDSU they had over 200 yards more total offense in both games. The Bison handled them fairly easy and then I looked at the stats and the Yotes had 440 yards of offense....but only 14 points. Their offense and especially Streveler are good!
UNI's game plan almost backfired until it didn't and then ended up working perfectly.

Not let him run. Put a spy on him. Don't crash the DEs on the rush. If he wants to roll the pocket force him to do so 5+ yards behind the LOS. It worked. He had 5 carries for -8 yards

That meant he had a lot of time to throw and early in the game he racked up a ton of yards as the mid depth zones stayed open. Safeties deep and LBs flat for a run.

Yes, he had 401 passing. 79 came on the final drive of the game after UNI was up by 11 and the drive took from the 2:30 mark to the 15 second in the game mark. It took him 14 pass attempts to get those 79 yards. His average per attempt was 7 - same as Sam "checkdown" Bradford last year. His average completion was 11. UNI's offense didn't have the same yards but it ran 30 less plays on the game (87-57) and UNI averaged 10 yards per attempt and 15 per completion. Efficiency wasn't their strength - nor has it been.

Look at the drive chart of that UNI game and USD's yards came in the first half. They had 300 of their 490 in the first half. Their first drive of the third quater was their final points until clean up time. By the 13 minute mark of the third quarter USD had 346 of their 490 yards. Add in the 79 mop up yards and they had 65 yards in their 6 second half possession.

First half possessions went
TD
FUMBLE
FG
FG
FG
TD - first drive of the third quarter came on short field after a punt..

UNI knew if they kept getting to Steveler, even if it wasn't a sack, and forced him to drop back 60 plus times (like he did vs UNI and ISUr the week before) that eventually that offense would break. They aren't designed for that.

Sure enough, the second half rolled around and USD's offense just stopped working. The staff didn't know what to call. You could see plays being run that weren't a comfort zone for that offense. You could see Streveler struggle making the reads to a 4th or 5th option. He started forcing to his first read. Results? The drives that ended by Pick in the endzone because UNI's coverage baited him into the throw. A check-down to a guy that got lit the **** up by a charging safety that caused a fumble. A pick 6 from forcing sped up reads and being behind.

Steveler can move the ball really well, especially when they are clicking. They get a ton of yards but they aren't always efficient at it moving the ball. As good as their RZ scoring percentage is, they haven't been putting a ton of points up lately to go with the yards.

katss07
November 20th, 2017, 02:32 PM
I’m not referring to the outcome, I’m refering to the money made in each game. It think that had an effect on who hosted this game.

Yote 53
November 20th, 2017, 02:41 PM
Never thought about that being a factor. A game aTm would definitely pay more. I have to think that a playoff bid is not in the budget and is something that, if you throw up a big number, it would be fiscally responsible to have donor money backing it in case your attendance doesn't hit the number you need.

Yote 53
November 20th, 2017, 02:44 PM
Clenz is right, USD's offense isn't built on efficiency. It's built on tempo, putting up a ton of plays, and overwhelming the opponent.

semobison
November 20th, 2017, 02:49 PM
UNI's game plan almost backfired until it didn't and then ended up working perfectly.

Not let him run. Put a spy on him. Don't crash the DEs on the rush. If he wants to roll the pocket force him to do so 5+ yards behind the LOS. It worked. He had 5 carries for -8 yards

That meant he had a lot of time to throw and early in the game he racked up a ton of yards as the mid depth zones stayed open. Safeties deep and LBs flat for a run.

Yes, he had 401 passing. 79 came on the final drive of the game after UNI was up by 11 and the drive took from the 2:30 mark to the 15 second in the game mark. It took him 14 pass attempts to get those 79 yards. His average per attempt was 7 - same as Sam "checkdown" Bradford last year. His average completion was 11. UNI's offense didn't have the same yards but it ran 30 less plays on the game (87-57) and UNI averaged 10 yards per attempt and 15 per completion. Efficiency wasn't their strength - nor has it been.

Look at the drive chart of that UNI game and USD's yards came in the first half. They had 300 of their 490 in the first half. Their first drive of the third quater was their final points until clean up time. By the 13 minute mark of the third quarter USD had 346 of their 490 yards. Add in the 79 mop up yards and they had 65 yards in their 6 second half possession.

First half possessions went
TD
FUMBLE
FG
FG
FG
TD - first drive of the third quarter came on short field after a punt..

UNI knew if they kept getting to Steveler, even if it wasn't a sack, and forced him to drop back 60 plus times (like he did vs UNI and ISUr the week before) that eventually that offense would break. They aren't designed for that.

Sure enough, the second half rolled around and USD's offense just stopped working. The staff didn't know what to call. You could see plays being run that weren't a comfort zone for that offense. You could see Streveler struggle making the reads to a 4th or 5th option. He started forcing to his first read. Results? The drives that ended by Pick in the endzone because UNI's coverage baited him into the throw. A check-down to a guy that got lit the **** up by a charging safety that caused a fumble. A pick 6 from forcing sped up reads and being behind.

Steveler can move the ball really well, especially when they are clicking. They get a ton of yards but they aren't always efficient at it moving the ball. As good as their RZ scoring percentage is, they haven't been putting a ton of points up lately to go with the yards.

I agree about USD's efficiency. NDSU held them 4 times on 4th down when they were across mid field. Hence, only 14 points! But when they get rolling, it's scary!

katss07
November 20th, 2017, 02:56 PM
Clenz is right, USD's offense isn't built on efficiency. It's built on tempo, putting up a ton of plays, and overwhelming the opponent.

An efficient offense helps in the playoffs. Trust me, SHSU’s offense ran into a brick wall in JMU. This season, our offense is consistently scoring. Briscoe isn’t putting up crazy numbers because we run the ball more, which is great. Bulmer and Avery are both guys that can do damage. For people who haven’t watched an SHSU game all year, we are more balanced. I think that in a game against USD, that would give us an edge. We are efficient, but are built for track meets.

Once you’re in the playoffs, the put up 50 points and win stuff doesn’t work. You need a defense to go far. That is something USD and SHSU don’t really have. I think our D might be a bit better, but who knows. I think this year, the bracket is right for us to make a run. But once we play against NDSU (if we get past JSU, KSU or Samford) we will have a very tough time. But we can’t focus on those teams. Have to focus on how to stop USD or Nicholls. I know our defense can do it! If they show up an our offense is consistent, we will win.

clenz
November 20th, 2017, 02:57 PM
I was hoping my post didn't come off in a way I didn't mean it.

USD's offense is really good when it's clicking. Even when it's not it's still well above average - thanks pretty much entirely to Streveler. It's just never really struck me as being overly efficient over the full course of a game.

Offenses like USD's are built that way. Look at TCU, Okie State, Oregon when they were using it, OU, etc... When they are on they are scary. When one cog gets just a little jamed things tend to go sideways even if yards are picked up.

Yotes21
November 20th, 2017, 02:59 PM
I was hoping my post didn't come off in a way I didn't mean it.

USD's offense is really good when it's clicking. Even when it's not it's still well above average - thanks pretty much entirely to Streveler. It's just never really struck me as being overly efficient over the full course of a game.

Offenses like USD's are built that way. Look at TCU, Okie State, Oregon when they were using it, OU, etc... When they are on they are scary. When one cog gets just a little jamed things tend to go sideways even if yards are picked up.

What killed USD in the game against UNI was settling for field goals and the last fumble that was questionable. Anyways, can we get some info on Nicholls?

clenz
November 20th, 2017, 03:05 PM
What killed USD in the game against UNI was settling for field goals and the last fumble that was questionable. Anyways, can we get some info on Nicholls?
That touches on the efficiency piece.

katss07
November 20th, 2017, 03:16 PM
Nicholls has a good but not great QB. Forecade, the quarterback, is fairly efficient. I think turnovers have been an issue, but with the USD defense playing the way it has been, interceptions may not be an issue. He is duel threat and can run. They have a great running game. Multiple guys who can hurt you. Very old school type of run game. I formation is not uncommon. The defense has been okay, but when they go up against a team that can score they have issues. They are good enough to keep the offense in the game.

katss07
November 20th, 2017, 04:04 PM
Opening Vegas Line

USD the favorite by 20.5

Give Nicholls some respect. Three touchdowns is too much, especially since this is an at large vs at large game, not a bottom tier auto qualifying team.

clenz
November 20th, 2017, 04:11 PM
Opening Vegas Line

USD the favorite by 20.5

Give Nicholls some respect. Three touchdowns is too much, especially since this is an at large vs at large game, not a bottom tier auto qualifying team.
Pugh has it at 41-17 USD
http://www.compughterratings.com/CFB/simulations/Nicholls%20St-vs-South%20Dakota

Massey has it 41-21 USD @ 92% certainty
https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=7262&s=295489

katss07
November 20th, 2017, 04:24 PM
I just don’t get it...no respect for Nicholls. They are a good team. A few bad losses but a quality team and program. I don’t see USD blowing them out like that. And if they do, I think SHSU gets them in round 2. Just don’t see USD getting out of the Huntsville/Jacksonville brakcet thing.

clenz
November 20th, 2017, 04:28 PM
When you look at the teams Nicholls got their wins from you'd see why there isn't a ton of respect...based on Massey's ratings

#169 McNeese State by 2
#270 NW Louisiana by 4
#279 SF Austin by 21
#311 Abilene Christian by 9
#338 Prairie View by 22
#375 Lamar by 27
#395 Incarnate Word by 7
#408 Houston Baptist by 6

Not exactly dominating wins over really bad teams.

Avg Opp 283
Avg MOV 10

Meanwhile as bad as USD's front half was that loaded their wins here are their opponent ranks

#72 Western Illinois by 5
#97 Youngstown State by 3
#152 Bowling Green by 8
#200 North Dakota by 38
#305 Indiana State by 50
#305 Drake by 70

The worst team USD playd would be the 4th best team NSU played and USD beat those teams by an average of 60

oh they also beat Southern Illinois by 42 who is #160

katss07
November 20th, 2017, 04:30 PM
When you look at the teams Nicholls got their wins from you'd see why there isn't a ton of respect...based on Massey's ratings

#169 McNeese State by 2
#270 NW Louisiana by 4
#279 SF Austin by 21
#338 Prairie View by 22
#375 Lamar by 27
#395 Incarnate Word by 7

Avg Opp 283
Avg MOV 10

I guess this is understandable. But this is the playoffs. ANYTHING can happen!! I’m sticking with my Nicholls prediction.

POD Knows
November 20th, 2017, 04:30 PM

#169 McNeese State by 2
#270 NW Louisiana by 4
#279 SF Austin by 21
#338 Prairie View by 22
#375 Lamar by 27
#395 Incarnate Word by 7

Avg Opp 283
Avg MOV 10Yea, and these guys are in ahead of EWU. Wow, over half of those teams would probably lose to high quality Texas high school teams. That might be hyperbole but that schedule is pretty sad.

clenz
November 20th, 2017, 04:31 PM
I added an edit a few people probably will miss so I'll repost it here

Meanwhile as bad as USD's front half was that loaded their wins here are their opponent ranks

#152 Bowling Green by 8
#200 North Dakota by 38
#305 Indiana State by 50
#305 Drake by 70

The worst team USD playd would be the 4th best team NSU played and USD beat those teams by an average of 60

EDIT...oh they also beat Southern Illinois by 42 who is #160

cx500d
November 20th, 2017, 04:35 PM

#169 McNeese State by 2
#270 NW Louisiana by 4
#279 SF Austin by 21
#338 Prairie View by 22
#375 Lamar by 27
#395 Incarnate Word by 7

I see your point. Sam Houston beat PVA&M by only 13, also ACU by 9 & NW La by 4 (amazing coincidence), SFA by 9.....

beerkat
November 20th, 2017, 05:04 PM

From the 2 1/2 games I saw of Nicholls they like to run the majority of the time then try to hit play action passes over the top to pick up big chunks of yards. They don't usually do any tempo or anything too exotic, they just line up and try to beat you. They also will try to run the play clock down and shorten the game. Fourcade is a solid qb and is only a sophomore so he will be a threat for a couple more years. On defense I thought they had a pretty good defensive line for stopping the run. Again nothing too fancy on that side of the ball. If you can hit big plays against them you can do some damage but it is tough to sustain a long drive against them. They seem to want to play close games against everybody and try to win it in the 4th quarter. Also playing down on the bayou there are always strange things that happen and calls that don't go the visiting teams way, Nicholls and Sela have some weird voodoo going on down there so be ready for that.

Of course none of that matters because a computer said South Dakota will win by 20, but I could see Nicholls squeaking one out 31 to 28

cx500d
November 20th, 2017, 05:07 PM
From the 2 1/2 games I saw of Nicholls they like to run the majority of the time then try to hit play action passes over the top to pick up big chunks of yards. They don't usually do any tempo or anything too exotic, they just line up and try to beat you. They also will try to run the play clock down and shorten the game. Fourcade is a solid qb and is only a sophomore so he will be a threat for a couple more years. On defense I thought they had a pretty good defensive line for stopping the run. Again nothing too fancy on that side of the ball. If you can hit big plays against them you can do some damage but it is tough to sustain a long drive against them. They seem to want to play close games against everybody and try to win it in the 4th quarter. Also playing down on the bayou there are always strange things that happen and calls that don't go the visiting teams way, Nicholls and Sela have some weird voodoo going on down there so be ready for that.

Of course none of that matters because a computer said South Dakota will win by 20, but I could see Nicholls squeaking one out 31 to 28

#ButtSouthernSpeedTM

katss07
November 20th, 2017, 05:08 PM

I agree with this prediction. Again, Nicholls does nothing fancy. But a solid defensive unit and a running game might take care of USD.

JSUSoutherner
November 20th, 2017, 05:12 PM
I agree with this prediction. Again, Nicholls does nothing fancy. But a solid defensive unit and a running game might take care of USD.

Too bad Nicholls doesn't have a defense then.

beerkat
November 20th, 2017, 05:23 PM
#ButtSouthernSpeedTM

#buttsagarin #buttmassey #buttmvfcisthegreatestconferenceinhistory

katss07
November 20th, 2017, 05:34 PM
Too bad Nicholls doesn't have a defense then.

Ever considered that the South Dakota defense might not be able to stop Nicholls?

I guess I should change what I said, wasn’t clear.

Any team who can out score them can beat South Dakota.

Katfan
November 20th, 2017, 05:34 PM
I miss the #SouthernSpeed argument days.
We once saved it for later rounds, but since we haven’t made it lately, I guess we had to break it out early this year

cx500d
November 20th, 2017, 05:35 PM
Ever considered that the South Dakota defense might not be able to stop Nicholls?

I guess I should change what I said, wasn’t clear.

They lost quite a few rapists on their D recently, so they are depleted.

katss07
November 20th, 2017, 05:37 PM
Were the rapists even good?

clenz
November 20th, 2017, 05:39 PM
Were the rapists even good?

1 all conference DB and 1 reserve DB

katss07
November 20th, 2017, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the football related answer...

cx500d
November 20th, 2017, 05:49 PM

I thought they lost 3?

ST_Lawson
November 20th, 2017, 05:50 PM

The all-conference DB caught the interception to end WIU's final drive against them. Without that pick, it's entirely possible they don't beat WIU and don't make the playoffs.

So yes, regardless of legal status, Rambo is a pretty good DB.

clenz
November 20th, 2017, 06:47 PM
I thought they lost 3?

Third party was not a football player

katss07
November 20th, 2017, 06:52 PM
Why is one of the players smiling in the mug shot? A little creepy.

Hurts to lose an All Conference DB. On and off the field, that kinda thing as to hurt a team emotionally. Tough thing to get through. A dude you know and go into battle with everyday is a rapist.

cx500d
November 20th, 2017, 06:56 PM
Why is one of the players smiling in the mug shot? A little creepy.

Hurts to lose an All Conference DB. On and off the field, that kinda thing as to hurt a team emotionally. Tough thing to get through. A dude you know and go into battle with everyday is a rapist.

I have to give credit to USD, at least they were kicked off the team. Its not like they were driving up to, say, Brookings and actively recruiting criminals and driving them back to campus like another MVFC school did.

Yotes21
November 20th, 2017, 07:26 PM
Third party was not a football player

Yes he was. Yotes lost both starting DBs with one being a senior 3 year starter and Rambo the All Conference corner. The other was a top reserve and was an average player. The senior player who you are thinking of was not charged but was let go because he was there.

cx500d
November 20th, 2017, 08:16 PM
Yes he was. Yotes lost both starting DBs with one being a senior 3 year starter and Rambo the All Conference corner. The other was a top reserve and was an average player. The senior player who you are thinking of was not charged but was let go because he was there.

Thats what I thought....Any team that loses that many rapists is probably done for.

JayJ79
November 20th, 2017, 08:29 PM

so the key to winning the game is scoring more points than your opponent?
wow, that's deep

cx500d
November 20th, 2017, 08:30 PM
wow, that's deep

That's a classic Maddenism

katss07
November 20th, 2017, 08:33 PM
wow, that's deep

Yep! Cause, you know what they day, offense wins championships! Ask Phil Longo.

Fair enough. SHSU will beat USD if it comes to a track meet. That was my point.

CappinHard
November 21st, 2017, 12:10 AM

Is it just me, or are you trying to convince yourself that Nicholls will win because you are scared that USD is going to win and you might get beat by them?

cx500d
November 21st, 2017, 12:13 AM
Is it just me, or are you trying to convince yourself that Nicholls will win because you are scared that USD is going to win and you might get beat by them?

Sounds like it....They are more confident beating a Softland conference member because the Softland teams don't tend to hang 60+ points on them...

katss07
November 21st, 2017, 12:22 AM
I don’t know. Maybe I am without knowing myself, but I think Nicholls will actually win this game. And the offense wins championships was an SHSU joke, not something about SDSU, although they don’t have much of a defensive unit either. If I am being honest with myself I guess we should prep for USD, but I genuinely think that Nicholls wins this game.

Is it just me (it isn’t) or do you really like to mess with SHSU fans? Just stating my opinion on this game.

Hood
November 21st, 2017, 01:17 AM
In an ideal world, the USD team is overlooking Nicholls (with two Ls *ahem*) and not just a lot of the spectators. I think most of the Nicholls fan base is just, "Happy to be here."

CappinHard
November 21st, 2017, 01:46 AM
I don’t know. Maybe I am without knowing myself, but I think Nicholls will actually win this game. And the offense wins championships was an SHSU joke, not something about SDSU, although they don’t have much of a defensive unit either. If I am being honest with myself I guess we should prep for USD, but I genuinely think that Nicholls wins this game.

Is it just me (it isn’t) or do you really like to mess with SHSU fans? Just stating my opinion on this game.

I know it wasn't about SDSU and I could care less that you're an SHSU fan, I was just trying to rationalize the fact that you really think Nicholls is going to win this game.

JSUSoutherner
November 21st, 2017, 06:18 AM
I know it wasn't about SDSU and I could care less that you're an SHSU fan, I was just trying to rationalize the fact that you really think Nicholls is going to win this game.
He also thinks the Bearkats have a defense and an unstoppable juggernaut offense that are Frisco bound. xcoffeex

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 21st, 2017, 06:25 AM

SHSU's defense has been crap since the Bison's 1st championship and true to form they are #94 in the FCS this year giving up 418 yards/game......and that is against the Softland....xrolleyesx

If USD can get by Nicholls then Sammy will have its hands full against USD.

If Streveler stays healthy throughout the playoffs, IMO, USD beats both Softland teams they face.

JSUSoutherner
November 21st, 2017, 06:26 AM
SHSU's defense has been crap since the Bison's 1st championship and true to form they are #94 in the FCS this year giving up 418 yards/game......and that is against the Softland....xrolleyesx

If USD can get by Nicholls then Sammy will have its hands full against USD.

If Streveler stays healthy throughout the playoffs, IMO, USD beats both Softland teams they face.
But... but... Brisocoe!!!!! :D

Serpentor
November 21st, 2017, 06:31 AM
I wonder how Last Chance U's Roland Ollie feels after leaving a school that's now in the playoffs. Hey D1 schools, he's still available if you need him!

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 21st, 2017, 06:33 AM
But... but... Brisocoe!!!!! :D

SHSU's last three playoff opponents have completely boat raced them....ones with good defenses. What was the JSU score? 150 to 6 or 7...xlolx

USD's defense is not great but they can be decent. They did pretty good against SDSU last weekend but got gashed by NDSU.

I'd like to see USD and JSU. JSU has a good defense. Like to see how they defend Streveler.

JSUSoutherner
November 21st, 2017, 06:36 AM
SHSU's last three playoff opponents have completely boat raced them....ones with good defenses. What was the JSU score? 150 to 6 or 7...xlolx

USD's defense is not great but they can be decent. They did pretty good against SDSU last weekend but got gashed by NDSU.

I'd like to see USD and JSU. JSU has a good defense. Like to see how they defend Streveler.
Same way we defend everyone probably.

Play man and send heat.

Bison56
November 21st, 2017, 06:54 AM
I wonder how Last Chance U's Roland Ollie feels after leaving a school that's now in the playoffs. Hey D1 schools, he's still available if you need him!

Ugh that show is so frustrating.

Redbird 4th & short
November 21st, 2017, 07:28 AM
Reality check .. let's look at Nicholls St last 6 games:

Oct 7 .. beat 4-7 NWLA by 4 at home .. Massey #74
Oct 14 .. beat 2-9 Abilene by 9 at home .. Massey #88
Oct 28 .. beat 1-10 Incarnate by 7 on road .. Massey #107
Nov 4 .. beat 1-10 Houston Bapt by 7 at home ..Massey #108
Nov 11 .. beat 4-7 SFA by 21 on road .. Massey #77 ...congrats on 1 ok win against weak team
Nov 18 .. loss to 6-5 SELA by 4 on road .. Massey #49

Best Win ?

Aug 31 .. 13 weeks ago .. beat 9-2 McNeese St by 2 at home .. Massey #32, and did not get playoff bid for similarly very weak performances against very weak schedule. More amazingly .. this is their ONLY win against a team with a team with winning record, even while playing in a weak conference.

Best Loss ?

Sep 9 .. 12 weeks ago .. lost to 7-4 Texas A&M by 10 on road .. Massey FBS #29 .. very nice loss, though 12 weeks ago

Be very thankful for your highly questionable at large bid, and that you are further getting home game, and getting a banged up Streveler, and a defense that suspended 3 players including 2 starters, and a team whose gotten pretty beat up playing the best MVFC teams the last 5 weeks.

Your planets are aligning .. don't embarrass the FCS selection committee ... at home, no less !!

p.s. thinking UNH Scarano cut a deal with Southland .. this is a rediculously bad at large bid, regardless of who wins this game

POD Knows
November 21st, 2017, 07:48 AM

Nov 11 .. beat 4-7 SFA by 21 on road .. Massey #77 ...congrats on 1 ok win against weak team

Best Win ?

Aug 31 .. 13 weeks ago .. beat 9-2 McNeese St by 2 at home .. Massey #32, and did not get playoff bid for similarly very weak performances against very weak schedule. More amazingly .. this is their ONLY win against a team with a team with winning record, even while playing in a weak conference.

Best Loss ?

Sep 9 .. 12 weeks ago .. lost to 7-4 Texas A&M by 10 on road .. Massey FBS #29 .. very nice loss, though 12 weeks ago

Be very thankful for your highly questionable at large bid, and that you are further getting home game, and getting a banged up Streveler, and a defense that suspended 3 players including 2 starters, and a team whose gotten pretty beat up playing the best MVFC teams the last 5 weeks.

Your planets are aligning .. don't embarrass the FCS selection committee ... at home, no less !!

p.s. thinking UNH Scarano cut a deal with Southland .. this is a rediculously bad at large bid, regardless of who wins this gameAgree, I actually think this at large is worse than the UNH one in some respects.

katss07
November 21st, 2017, 08:42 AM
Now that I think about it, how in the world are Nicholls and USD playing each other as the “last two in teams” and we have Weber St playing WIU, probably the first two teams to miss out on seeds. No regionalization in those two games.

katss07
November 21st, 2017, 08:52 AM

Our last three playoff games have not been good. I don’t think it will be that way in round two, but I have doubts. Once we get to JSU, we are in some serious trouble. I think we have the offense to score on them actually. The issue is, can we? Probably not to be honest. I hope so though.

SHSU’s defense isn’t great but can be decent. PJ Hall is a hell of a lot better than anyone they have on D. ACU’s defense isn’t great but can be decent, just like Robert Morris’ defense. You can literally say that about any team.

USD vs JSU would be fun. I think that if we get to the point of USD playing Sam, that would be a great close game (unless you like good defense).

JSUSoutherner
November 21st, 2017, 09:09 AM
Our last three playoff games have not been good. I don’t think it will be that way in round two, but I have doubts. Once we get to JSU, we are in some serious trouble. I think we have the offense to score on them actually. The issue is, can we? Probably not to be honest. I hope so though.

SHSU’s defense isn’t great but can be decent. PJ Hall is a hell of a lot better than anyone they have on D. ACU’s defense isn’t great but can be decent, just like Robert Morris’ defense. You can literally say that about any team.

USD vs JSU would be fun. I think that if we get to the point of USD playing Sam, that would be a great close game (unless you like good defense).
That's an interesting comment considering the third best player on our defense is going to the Senior Bowl.

katss07
November 21st, 2017, 09:11 AM
That's an interesting comment considering the third best player on our defense is going to the Senior Bowl.

Talking about the USD defense...sorry need to be more specific.

JSUSoutherner
November 21st, 2017, 09:13 AM
Talking about the USD defense...sorry need to be more specific.
Gotcha. My bad.

Yote 53
November 21st, 2017, 09:32 AM
I think the committee stuck USD in the pod they did because they saw an MVFC team that was limping and they were thinking they could then ensure at least one or two non-MVFC team would make the semifinals while still being able to spread them around and not do the unfair thing and stack them all on the same side of the bracket. Last thing they want to see is 3 or 4 semifinalists all from the same conference. Little did they know they just let the Coyote in the hen house and Yotes are going to feast. This is just the lineup of games we need to build some serious momentum in these playoffs.

A lot of you guys are hanging your hats on USD's "weak defense" or that Streveler might be hurt. Good luck with that. Our backup QB played one game this year. Came in emergency duty during the first series against Southern Illinois. Without taking #1 reps all week and having to play in a game he did not expect to play in he only led the team to a 49-0 win. 49 points, from the backup. Shutout, by the defense. Yeah, we got gashed by some of the best teams in the MVFC, but we also shut down some MVFC teams too, and we're not going to be playing any MVFC teams in this pod we're in. So good luck with all that. SHSU fans, JSU fans, KSU, Samford, you guys have good reason to be worried.

My biggest concern is not so much the opponents, it's the travel. Going on the road is hard and to run the table we're going to have to travel some long distances in 3 consecutive weeks and play in some unfamiliar places against unfamiliar opponents. That's hard to do. The reward for all that, a likely matchup with the Bison in Fargo. Coming off the gauntlet we just ran, this team may run out of steam.

caribbeanhen
November 21st, 2017, 09:34 AM
And get to xnodx

Yotes are gonna know they are deep in bayou country down there. Some strange juju **** goes on in that town when you play there.

alright... I'm gonna have to watch this one....

katss07
November 21st, 2017, 09:51 AM
I think the committee stuck USD in the pod they did because they saw an MVFC team that was limping and they were thinking they could then ensure at least one or two non-MVFC team would make the semifinals while still being able to spread them around and not do the unfair thing and stack them all on the same side of the bracket. Last thing they want to see is 3 or 4 semifinalists all from the same conference. Little did they know they just let the Coyote in the hen house and Yotes are going to feast. This is just the lineup of games we need to build some serious momentum in these playoffs.

A lot of you guys are hanging your hats on USD's "weak defense" or that Streveler might be hurt. Good luck with that. Our backup QB played one game this year. Came in emergency duty during the first series against Southern Illinois. Without taking #1 reps all week and having to play in a game he did not expect to play in he only led the team to a 49-0 win. 49 points, from the backup. Shutout, by the defense. Yeah, we got gashed by some of the best teams in the MVFC, but we also shut down some MVFC teams too, and we're not going to be playing any MVFC teams in this pod we're in. So good luck with all that. SHSU fans, JSU fans, KSU, Samford, you guys have good reason to be worried.

My biggest concern is not so much the opponents, it's the travel. Going on the road is hard and to run the table we're going to have to travel some long distances in 3 consecutive weeks and play in some unfamiliar places against unfamiliar opponents. That's hard to do. The reward for all that, a likely matchup with the Bison in Fargo. Coming off the gauntlet we just ran, this team may run out of steam.

I’ve never seen somebody more confident in their team after they have lost four of five game. This isn’t Southern Illinois. Nicholls and SHSU will feast upon your secondary if they are not ready. Briscoe and Fourecade are good quarterbacks. Weak defenses don’t work in the playoffs, hence the Kats recent early exits. If your backup comes in, don’t expect him to do well against Nicholls. The Bearkats have a better offense than anyone in thr MVFC. Sorry to tell the truth, but if we stop you four times on defense (which we can) you guys are f***ed. S

Yote 53
November 21st, 2017, 09:58 AM
Did you just claim to have a better defense than any team in the MVFC? Holy cripes.

The reason I'm confident is because I don't see any MVFC teams in our pod until the semis. Simple as that.

beerkat
November 21st, 2017, 10:12 AM
did you just read the word offense and translate it to mean defense?

Yote 53
November 21st, 2017, 10:20 AM
LOL. Sure did! And that statement is false too. USD and NDSU were two of the best offenses in the entire country throughout the year. Statistically speaking we didn't drop off until we, gasp, started playing each other. And I would stack up SDSU's offense against any team in the country as well, the fakers that they are and all.

lionsrking2
November 21st, 2017, 11:10 AM

Best Win ?

Best Loss ?

p.s. thinking UNH Scarano cut a deal with Southland .. this is a rediculously bad at large bid, regardless of who wins this game

Nicholls is the type of team that will play up/down to the level of their competition. The Sam game got away from them on the road, but they're fast and athletic on defense, have some playmakers on offense, and play well at home. This game will be a lot closer than most think.

katss07
November 21st, 2017, 11:16 AM
Nicholls is the type of team that will play up/down to the level of their competition. The Sam game got away from them on the road, but they're fast and athletic on defense, have some playmakers on offense, and play well at home. This game will be a lot closer than most think.
Truest statement in this thread. People continue to underestimate Nicholls. They have a good duel threat qb, a run game, and a good defense. I don’t know if they win this game, but I sure as hell know they will keep this closer than anybody expects them to. The SHSU game got away from them. This game will be much different.

CappinHard
November 21st, 2017, 11:34 AM
I’ve never seen somebody more confident in their team after they have lost four of five game. This isn’t Southern Illinois. Nicholls and SHSU will feast upon your secondary if they are not ready. Briscoe and Fourecade are good quarterbacks. Weak defenses don’t work in the playoffs, hence the Kats recent early exits. If your backup comes in, don’t expect him to do well against Nicholls. The Bearkats have a better offense than anyone in thr MVFC. Sorry to tell the truth, but if we stop you four times on defense (which we can) you guys are f***ed. S

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/500x/64519442/strong-in-this-one-the-delusion-is.jpg

katss07
November 21st, 2017, 11:45 AM
https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/500x/64519442/strong-in-this-one-the-delusion-is.jpg

Ya can’t help yourself can ya? I can’t wait to see the reaction on here when USD gets beat.

Bison56
November 21st, 2017, 11:50 AM

Are they fast, or southern speed fast?

CappinHard
November 21st, 2017, 12:10 PM
Ya can’t help yourself can ya? I can’t wait to see the reaction on here when USD gets beat.

When you're spouting off ridiculous conjectures... no... I can't help myself.

beerkat
November 21st, 2017, 12:16 PM

"USD lost because the quarterback was hurt and playing in a wheelchair, and the first string secondary was out because they all take after their father, Harvey Weinstein"

Yotes21
November 21st, 2017, 12:44 PM
In an ideal world, the USD team is overlooking Nicholls (with two Ls *ahem*) and not just a lot of the spectators. I think most of the Nicholls fan base is just, "Happy to be here."

I'm not overlooking Nicholls...I really know nothing about them so it is hard for me to say how the game will go. I'd rather have a discussion on the actual game rather than 2 SHSU fans talking junk.

Bison56
November 21st, 2017, 01:02 PM
I'm not overlooking Nicholls...I really know nothing about them so it is hard for me to say how the game will go. I'd rather have a discussion on the actual game rather than 2 SHSU fans talking junk.

Its the playoffs, its when the SHSU fans come out of hiding for a couple weeks.

Daytripper
November 21st, 2017, 01:09 PM

Your posts are so original..

PurpleStreamers
November 21st, 2017, 01:09 PM

Thread winner! Shut it down. KC and the boys and Soft Houston fans will have their shot again next week (which should've been this week but we'll let it slide) to see if they can shut us all up at last. Hint - they can't.

katss07
November 21st, 2017, 01:31 PM

Well here are some things to know about Nciholls.

Historically, Nicholls is a cellar dweller in the SLC. Rarley recruits chose Nicholls over McNeese and other Louisiana schools. The Colonels have only made the playoffs 4 times, their last appearance being in 2005. Last season, most people knew something was different about this group. This year they put it together and are returning Nicholls State football to the playoffs. Despite winning 5 of their last 6, they lost their final game. It was against a tough Southeastern Louisiana team, but they should have won. They snuck into the playoffs.

Nicholls is a run first team on offense. They have picked up over 600 total yards on the ground over the past couple of games. Southeastern had trouble stopping them on the ground, at that is one of the Lions strengths.
Watch out for RB Thaj Smith, he is a beast. If Nicholls O-Line is ready to go and healthy, USD could have some trouble up front. And if their defense is what everyone is saying, Smith could be in for a big day. Four different guys have gained 100 plus yards in a game on the ground this year for them. Also, expect Nicholls’ leading rusher, Kyran Irvin, to be back for this game.

Chase Fourcade quarterbacks the Colonels. He is a duel threat guy who can RUN. He is only a sophomore, so he will be a problem for a couple more years now for opposing SLC teams. Nicholls has no real “elite” guys at WR, but Fourcade has an arsenal of 8 different guys he can go to in the air. 6 different guys have over 30 catches. Nicholls also tends to run lots of screen pass plays out of an I formation. Fourcade drops back and dumps it off to a waiting WR or RB. That play worked a few times on SELA.

Here is where the trouble is at for USD. The Colonel defense. They have stand out pass rushers who can get to the quarterback. They did it against SELA. If these rumors of USD’s quarterback being hurt are true, there could be some trouble. Nicholls has 33 sacks on the season. 4 different guys have recorded at least 5 sacks. They have a decent secondary. They do a great job of swarming to the football. No big plays allowed.

Nicholls has two bad losses. A huge loss to a good SHSU team, and an away loss to a decent SELA team. They kept it close with FBS Texas A&M for the whole game, losing by 10. They beat McNeese on a last second field goal. Do not underestimate Nicholls. This is a talented, young football team. If the Coyotes underestimate what they can do defensively, the game could be over at half. This should be a very close game.

cx500d
November 21st, 2017, 01:39 PM

Please use the term correctly:

#SouthernSpeedTM

cx500d
November 21st, 2017, 01:41 PM

Where is The Pud? Have we had a Pud sighting yet?

JSUSoutherner
November 21st, 2017, 02:01 PM
Where is The Pud? Have we had a Pud sighting yet?
Thought he and MK were in the slammer?

cx500d
November 21st, 2017, 02:02 PM
Thought he and MK were in the slammer?

Oh yeah, I forgot about MK....They are alive and well on the Kat board.... I may go over there and do some trolling

JSUSoutherner
November 21st, 2017, 02:04 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot about MK....They are alive and well on the Kat board.... I may go over there and do some trolling
I keep forgetting they have a board.

I wonder if it's as sad as the JSU board currently is....

centennial
November 21st, 2017, 02:26 PM
This will be an interesting game.

On paper Nichols is horribly outmatched. I mean their closest equivalent is Missouri State or SIU in the Valley.

How much do these computer ratings mean?

cx500d
November 21st, 2017, 02:28 PM

The novembrists are alive and well there.... a lot like bisonville without the self respect to back their swagger up.

JSUSoutherner
November 21st, 2017, 02:35 PM
The novembrists are alive and well there.... a lot like bisonville without the self respect to back their swagger up.

I just peeked over there. The thread on how their defense will fair against us made me smile. xlolx

Serpentor
November 21st, 2017, 02:42 PM

I can use a lot of words to describe Bisonville. Self-respect isn't one of them.

beerkat
November 21st, 2017, 02:58 PM

I'd rather talk about the game, too. Once again the usual suspects show up to troll SHSU.

dustinthorn93
November 21st, 2017, 03:01 PM
I think this will be a decently close game. I think Nicholls keeps it really close until a couple minutes left and Streveler makes 1 extra play that makes the difference look worse than it really was. Something like 41-30 wouldn't surprise me.

Hammerhead
November 21st, 2017, 03:18 PM
I just peeked over there. The thread on how their defense will fair against us made me smile. xlolx

I think we heard the same thing two years ago and your team scored 10 points on the Bison defense.

RabidRabbit
November 21st, 2017, 03:20 PM
and pronounce

TIB a doe. Much easier than my initial stab at 20 years ago.

JSUSoutherner
November 21st, 2017, 03:22 PM
I think we heard the same thing two years ago and your team scored 10 points on the Bison defense.

Why do you think it made me smile? Cause I learned first hand that argument is BS and stats don't matter. :D

Yote 53
November 21st, 2017, 03:32 PM
I'd rather talk about the game, too. Once again the usual suspects show up to troll SHSU.

Trolling SHSU, in a thread about Nicholls and USD. Why is that? Why would they even be here? I wonder...

Daytripper
November 21st, 2017, 03:59 PM

SHSU has their "novembrists" sure, but there are fewer of them than there are trolls that wake up seeing orange and feel the need to pleasure themselves at our expense....

LuckyKat
November 21st, 2017, 04:00 PM
Nichols in a good game "The Vodoo"

McNeese75
November 21st, 2017, 04:08 PM
xrolleyesx Speaking of Novemberists xlolx

katss07
November 21st, 2017, 04:34 PM
I think this will be a decently close game. I think Nicholls keeps it really close until a couple minutes left and Streveler makes 1 extra play that makes the difference look worse than it really was. Something like 41-30 wouldn't surprise me.

This wouldn’t surprise me either. Streveler is great. Big dude, I wouldn’t be surprised if he made a few big runs against Nicholls. Have to be careful, he can’t get hurt. He is not one to slide, but he might need to do that against Nicholls if they want to win.

Redbird 4th & short
November 21st, 2017, 04:45 PM
Well here are some things to know about Nciholls.

Historically, Nicholls is a cellar dweller in the SLC. Rarley recruits chose Nicholls over McNeese and other Louisiana schools. The Colonels have only made the playoffs 4 times, their last appearance being in 2005. Last season, most people knew something was different about this group. This year they put it together and are returning Nicholls State football to the playoffs. Despite winning 5 of their last 6, they lost their final game. It was against a tough Southeastern Louisiana team, but they should have won. They snuck into the playoffs.

Nicholls is a run first team on offense. They have picked up over 600 total yards on the ground over the past couple of games. Southeastern had trouble stopping them on the ground, at that is one of the Lions strengths.
Watch out for RB Thaj Smith, he is a beast. If Nicholls O-Line is ready to go and healthy, USD could have some trouble up front. And if their defense is what everyone is saying, Smith could be in for a big day. Four different guys have gained 100 plus yards in a game on the ground this year for them. Also, expect Nicholls’ leading rusher, Kyran Irvin, to be back for this game.

Chase Fourcade quarterbacks the Colonels. He is a duel threat guy who can RUN. He is only a sophomore, so he will be a problem for a couple more years now for opposing SLC teams. Nicholls has no real “elite” guys at WR, but Fourcade has an arsenal of 8 different guys he can go to in the air. 6 different guys have over 30 catches. Nicholls also tends to run lots of screen pass plays out of an I formation. Fourcade drops back and dumps it off to a waiting WR or RB. That play worked a few times on SELA.

Here is where the trouble is at for USD. The Colonel defense. They have stand out pass rushers who can get to the quarterback. They did it against SELA. If these rumors of USD’s quarterback being hurt are true, there could be some trouble. Nicholls has 33 sacks on the season. 4 different guys have recorded at least 5 sacks. They have a decent secondary. They do a great job of swarming to the football. No big plays allowed.

Nicholls has two bad losses. A huge loss to a good SHSU team, and an away loss to a decent SELA team. They kept it close with FBS Texas A&M for the whole game, losing by 10. They beat McNeese on a last second field goal. Do not underestimate Nicholls. This is a talented, young football team. If the Coyotes underestimate what they can do defensively, the game could be over at half. This should be a very close game.

Very few QBs play dual threat as well as Streveler .. be thankful if he is banged up. We chased and hit him mercilessly for 4 quarter in our win over them .. look it up, we had 15 QBHs against him that game. He only had 25 QBHs in all other 10 games combine .. so just 2.5 QBHs per game. We hit him so many times .. he was like frickin Michael Myers in Halloween .. he just kept completing passes on the run and getting back up after every clean hard hit. We won the game, despite him throwing39 for 63 for 400 yards ... but we kept everything underneath and held them to 21 points.

My point being, he is true dual threat .. he sees the field better than most dual threat QBs and makes very good decisions under pressure. You needed to see our game against them to appreciate how effective he is throwing and running. And he can take a hit better than any QB I've seen at this level. I am not exaggerating when I say there were 5 plays I assumed he would have to be taken out for at least a couple plays .. he played every down despite the beating we dealt him.

Plus he's faced several other very good defenses, though none pounded him like we did. Lot of people get dual threat label, and aren't really "dual" threat against good defenses. He is better at it than most.

Be thankful he is banged up .. though he will still get job done, just maybe not be quite as dominant us a healthy Streveler.

katss07
November 21st, 2017, 04:56 PM
What is up with all the total yardage that USD racks up without scoring any points? It seems like they get held to 3 or 4 touchdowns but get 400 yards like its nothing.

cx500d
November 21st, 2017, 04:57 PM
I can use a lot of words to describe Bisonville. Self-respect isn't one of them.

Maybe I should have said self confidence

Redbird 4th & short
November 21st, 2017, 05:01 PM

just way more examples of them playing down than up per my earlier post of their anemic results .. agreed ?

Bison56
November 21st, 2017, 05:01 PM

Why would the JSU board be sad?

katss07
November 21st, 2017, 05:02 PM
just way more examples of them playing down than up per my earlier post of their anemic results .. agreed ?

I have no idea how the FCS committee came up with this one .. worst selection of 2017. Where are the quality wins and quality losses ???????

1 quality win: McNeese
2 quality losses: SHSU, Texas A&M

CappinHard
November 21st, 2017, 05:06 PM

Tfw someone says that McNeese is a quality win...

https://media3.giphy.com/media/3oz8xZvvOZRmKay4xy/giphy.gif

JSUSoutherner
November 21st, 2017, 05:13 PM
Why would the JSU board be sad?
The conspiracy theorists are out in force trying to prove that NDSU jumping us for the 2 seed is some evil plot.

beerkat
November 21st, 2017, 05:13 PM

They were 9-2 and ranked #19 in the last AGS poll, and from what I hear AGS is the best and most accurate poll out there for FCS football.

Redbird 4th & short
November 21st, 2017, 05:14 PM
What is up with all the total yardage that USD racks up without scoring any points? It seems like they get held to 3 or 4 touchdowns but get 400 yards like its nothing.

Note they averaged 38 points per game. Then note all the highly ranked teams they play against .. ones who play serious defense. Add UNI who should be ranked top 15. Count YSU as very good defensive team. Then take off UND, who USD exposed as pretender.

Strength of Schedule matters.

09-02-17
at
Drake
W
77-7 (http://www.mvc.org/football/stats/du-1.htm)
1-0-0
0-0-0
2:58

09-09-17
at
Bowling Green
W
35-27 (http://www.mvc.org/football/stats/bg-usd.htm)
2-0-0
0-0-0
3:37

09-16-17

#10 NORTH DAKOTA
W
45-7 (http://www.mvc.org/football/stats/17sdfb03.htm)
3-0-0
0-0-0
3:08

09-30-17
at
#13 Western Illinois
W
38-33 (http://www.mvc.org/football/stats/wiu0930.htm)
4-0-0
1-0-0
3:51

10-07-17

#3 YOUNGSTOWN STATE
W
31-28 (http://www.mvc.org/football/stats/17sdfb05.htm)
5-0-0
2-0-0
3:24

10-14-17

INDIANA STATE
W
56-6 (http://www.mvc.org/football/stats/17sdfb06.htm)
6-0-0
3-0-0
2:57

10-21-17
at
#24 Illinois State
L
21-37 (http://www.mvc.org/football/stats/ils07.htm)
6-1-0
3-1-0
3:31

10-28-17

SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
W
42-0 (http://www.mvc.org/football/stats/17sdfb08.htm)
7-1-0
4-1-0
3:17

11-04-17
at
Northern Iowa
L
29-34 (http://www.mvc.org/football/stats/unifb09.htm)
7-2-0
4-2-0
3:20

11-11-17
at
#5 North Dakota State
L
14-49 (http://www.mvc.org/football/stats/ndsu10.htm)
7-3-0
4-3-0
2:55

11-18-17

#5 SOUTH DAKOTA STATE
L
28-31 (http://www.mvc.org/football/stats/17sdfb11.htm)
7-4-0
4-4-0
3:26

katss07
November 21st, 2017, 05:20 PM

Tfw you realize McNeese was a top 20 team at the time. IN THE AGS POLLS. Nice attempt at trolling there, got anything else?

Redbird 4th & short
November 21st, 2017, 05:22 PM

how is losing to SHSU by 49 a quality loss ?? Their average margin this year was just 17 points, playing against 69th ranked SOS.

That is a bad loss.

Yotes21
November 21st, 2017, 06:38 PM

That's been the difference in us winning and losing. We have either settled for field goals or turned it over in the redzone over the last 5 weeks. They need to try and go for more deep balls on the 30-40 yard line....Maybe Stev is hurt and is having trouble with the long ball? I don't remember many deep shots the last few weeks.

Bison56
November 21st, 2017, 07:31 PM
The conspiracy theorists are out in force trying to prove that NDSU jumping us for the 2 seed is some evil plot.
You ever look at Bisonville? Lol good stuff

JSUSoutherner
November 21st, 2017, 07:37 PM
Reading Bisonville is like watching a Browns game. You're not sure how it ever got that bad and it's hard to watch.

leatherneck177
November 21st, 2017, 07:56 PM
Now that I think about it, how in the world are Nicholls and USD playing each other as the “last two in teams” and we have Weber St playing WIU, probably the first two teams to miss out on seeds. No regionalization in those two games.

My point from an earlier post, just ridiculous. Should swap USD for WIU, that would look better. WSU and WIU both deserved a better first round matchup. Ridiculous.

caribbeanhen
November 21st, 2017, 08:08 PM
I added an edit a few people probably will miss so I'll repost it here

#152 Bowling Green by 8
#200 North Dakota by 38
#305 Indiana State by 50
#305 Drake by 70

EDIT...oh they also beat Southern Illinois by 42 who is #160

I was going to ask you about that...

Bisonoline
November 21st, 2017, 08:57 PM
Reading Bisonville is like watching a Browns game. You're not sure how it ever got that bad and it's hard to watch.

Yeah but you cant help but look. Its like a car wreck.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 21st, 2017, 09:02 PM

BV....full of meatheads.....xlolx

Some on here are over there also. I like the recruiting threads and Carson Wentz threads.

thebootfitter
November 21st, 2017, 10:29 PM
Note they averaged 38 points per game. Then note all the highly ranked teams they play against .. ones who play serious defense. Add UNI who should be ranked top 15. Count YSU as very good defensive team. Then take off UND, who USD exposed as pretender.

Strength of Schedule matters.

It's the playoffs, so I won't be too surprised by any outcome, but this right here is why if I was forced to put money on the game, it would be placed solidly on USD. (Not sure I'd take that spread, though. Yikes!)

Thumper 76
November 22nd, 2017, 03:51 AM
Yeah but you cant help but look. Its like a car wreck.

God I enjoy the hell out of b’ville though. The split on people who like me and hate me is just fun xlolx

Bison56
November 22nd, 2017, 05:27 AM
God I enjoy the hell out of b’ville though. The split on people who like me and hate me is just fun xlolx

People like you?xeyebrowx

Thumper 76
November 22nd, 2017, 06:42 AM
People like you?xeyebrowx

Sorry, I misspoke. I meant tolerate me xlolx

clenz
November 22nd, 2017, 07:30 AM
Tfw you realize McNeese was a top 20 team at the time. IN THE AGS POLLS. Nice attempt at trolling there, got anything else?
Then UND is a quality win for USD...top 10 at the time of the game....

Just ignore UND finished 3-8

Right?

POD Knows
November 22nd, 2017, 07:37 AM
I can use a lot of words to describe Bisonville. Self-respect isn't one of them.Please provide a few, I want to see if they match mine.

POD Knows
November 22nd, 2017, 07:42 AM
BV....full of meatheads.....xlolx

Some on here are over there also. I like the recruiting threads and Carson Wentz threads.I am not on BV but I read the recruiting threads and I like to reread the GD threads after I have been to the game, it is sometimes awesomely hilarious to read those.

JSUSoutherner
November 22nd, 2017, 07:51 AM

Right?
So we can count UTC and Liberty as quality wins too, right? :D

POD Knows
November 22nd, 2017, 07:53 AM
So we can count UTC and Liberty as quality wins too, right? :DYou can but you will still be seeded #3, hey did you say you were coming to Fargo if JSU can pull off a miracle and make it to the semi's?

katss07
November 22nd, 2017, 08:10 AM

Right?

Is McNeese not 9-2?

caribbeanhen
November 22nd, 2017, 08:13 AM
the MFVC hype machine is hitting on all cylinders in support of the South Dakota QB on this thread, I realize he's a good QB but let's see how he does down in the Bayou on the banks of the La Fourche mudbug creek

katstrapper
November 22nd, 2017, 08:14 AM

Nicholls St has a pretty solid defensive line with the TCU transfer Tevin Lawson leading the way. Lawson is a beast at the line of scrimmage. And their QB Chase Fourcade is very crafty. Don't underestimate this team.

clenz
November 22nd, 2017, 08:17 AM
Is McNeese not 9-2?
That wasn't the qualification given.

You said...and I quote for a second time

UND was #10 IN THE AGS POLLS at the time.

So it's pretty easy to use your justification for UND being a quality win...ready?

Tfw you realize North Dakota was a top 10 team at the time. IN THE AGS POLLS. Nice attempt at trolling there, got anything else?

katss07
November 22nd, 2017, 08:18 AM
Yes, Nicholls has a few big pass rushers who can get to the quarterback. I think four or five different guys have at least five sacks on the year, which is incredible. If the USD quarterback gets hit a few times, USD guys could be in trouble. If what fourthandshort says about the Redbirds getting to the quarterback is true, that could be the key to beating USD.

cx500d
November 22nd, 2017, 08:18 AM
You don't think there are big boys in the south? Nicholls St has a pretty solid defensive line with the TCU transfer Tevin Lawson leading the way. Lawson is a beast at the line of scrimmage. And their QB Chase Fourcade is very crafty. Don't underestimate this team.

You do have some fat boys down there....

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, Nicholls has a few big pass rushers who can get to the quarterback. I think four or five different guys have at least five sacks on the year, which is incredible. If the USD quarterback gets hit a few times, USD guys could be in trouble. If what fourthandshort says about the Redbirds getting to the quarterback is true, that could be the key to beating USD.

The USD QB gets hit all the time because he's a one man offensive machine.

clenz
November 22nd, 2017, 08:19 AM
the MFVC hype machine is hitting on all cylinders in support of the South Dakota QB on this thread, I realize he's a good QB but let's see how he does down in the Bayou on the banks of the La Fourche mudbug creek
Yeah...let's see how he does against a SLC team to see how good he is

Let's ignore what he did to top 12 teams like UNI, NDSU, SDSU, WIU, the FBS team *even if not a good FBS team*. Let's try to judge him on what he does in one game in the playoffs.

In MVFC only games Steveler lead the conference in passing yards per game at 299.5 - next highest was 30 yards behind. He had a TD:INT of over 3:1.

Steveler led the entire MVFC in total offense in MVFC only games at 351 yards per game.

But yeah - he hasn't proven himself quite yet. We need to see it against a Nicholls team that gave up about 480 yards per game to SHSU, McNeese and TAMU...

katss07
November 22nd, 2017, 08:20 AM
That wasn't the qualification given.

You said...and I quote for a second time

UND was #10 IN THE AGS POLLS at the time.

So it's pretty easy to use your justification for UND being a quality win...ready?

Tfw you realize North Dakota was a top 10 team at the time. IN THE AGS POLLS. Nice attempt at trolling there, got anything else?

I do.

McNeese is STILL top 20 in your poll.

caribbeanhen
November 22nd, 2017, 08:22 AM

Let's ignore what he did to top 12 teams like UNI, NDSU, SDSU, WIU, the FBS team *even if not a good FBS team*. Let's try to judge him on what he does in one game in the playoffs.

nah, just want to see him play

katss07
November 22nd, 2017, 08:22 AM

Lets! FCS fans judge players all the team on their playoff preformance. What happens if he throws three picks? People are going to get onto him becuase he had three interceptions. They aren’t going to give him a pass because, hey, you beat Bowling Green in week three.

clenz
November 22nd, 2017, 08:25 AM
I do.

McNeese is STILL top 20 in your poll.
McNeese was not a top 20 team in my poll submission.

clenz
November 22nd, 2017, 08:26 AM
Lets! FCS fans judge players all the team on their playoff preformance. What happens if he throws three picks? People are going to get onto him becuase he had three interceptions. They aren’t going to give him a pass because, hey, you beat Bowling Green in week three.
You? Who is you? Wait...am I a USD fan all of a sudden?

It's possible he throws three picks. He's thrown 5 all year. I suppose he could throw 3 in one game...doesn't seem likely, but you never know.

katss07
November 22nd, 2017, 08:30 AM

It's possible he throws three picks. He's thrown 5 all year. I suppose he could throw 3 in one game...doesn't seem likely, but you never know.

You is the USD quarterback. Nicholls won’t be the best defense he faces all year, but if his hand is as swollen as it was, to the point where he could barely hold the ball? Then yeah he might have trouble. As far as I am concerned, they didn’t beat SDSU with that swollen hand.

goyotes
November 22nd, 2017, 08:32 AM

Welcome aboard Clenz.

JSUSoutherner
November 22nd, 2017, 08:39 AM
You can but you will still be seeded #3, hey did you say you were coming to Fargo if JSU can pull off a miracle and make it to the semi's?
Not sure beating Kennesaw and Sam Houston/ USD would be a miracle, but yeah, if we make it I'll be in Fargo.

cx500d
November 22nd, 2017, 08:45 AM
Not sure beating ... Sam Houston... would be a miracle, but yeah, if we make it I'll be in Fargo.

Seriously? Hello, 62-10

beerkat
November 22nd, 2017, 08:54 AM
great contribution on a Nicholls vs. South Dakota thread, that is why this forum is the best xrolleyesx

McNeese75
November 22nd, 2017, 09:15 AM
You is the USD quarterback. Nicholls won’t be the best defense he faces all year, but if his hand is as swollen as it was, to the point where he could barely hold the ball? Then yeah he might have trouble. As far as I am concerned, they didn’t beat SDSU with that swollen hand.

You are wasting your time arguing with Clenz, He knows EVERYTHING about EVERY Team and assumes is opinion is law. xcoffeex

katstrapper
November 22nd, 2017, 09:16 AM
I am interested in this game because I want to the see the South Dakota QB in action. Pretty solid stats on the year.

clenz
November 22nd, 2017, 09:18 AM
You are wasting your time arguing with Clenz, He knows EVERYTHING about EVERY Team and assumes is opinion is law. xcoffeex
Feel free to tell me what I've said, in this thread, that isn't actually accurate.

JSUSoutherner
November 22nd, 2017, 09:30 AM
Seriously? Hello, 62-10

Which is why I said I dont think it will take a miracle to get to Fargo.

The only thing keeping us from Fargo, IMO, is ourselves. We've had periods were our offense has been in a slump and hitting one of those slumps could take us out. If we play well we shouldn't have a problem getting to Fargo.

Sammy94
November 22nd, 2017, 10:37 AM

The only thing keeping us from Fargo, IMO, is ourselves. We've had periods were our offense has been in a slump and hitting one of those slumps could take us out. If we play well we shouldn't have a problem getting to Fargo.

Yes because past year's results mean a whole lot.xcoffeex

katss07
November 22nd, 2017, 10:39 AM

An elite QB is what is keeping you from Fargo. Horn isn’t the guy JSU needs.

Professor Chaos
November 22nd, 2017, 10:42 AM
I'm too lazy to read through this thread to find out but I wonder how many of these 238 (now 239) posts have been made by Nicholls or USD fans?

I'm going to guess less than 20.

clenz
November 22nd, 2017, 10:43 AM
Put Streveler on JSU's roster and they win the title with ease.....

Yote84
November 22nd, 2017, 10:50 AM

SDSU is a very good team. With a bad throwing hand Streveler still put up 580 yards on offense and took the #5 seed to the wire.

There is no comparing Nichols record, stats, or anything else to USD. Apples to oranges. USD put up those numbers against the best teams in the nation every week in the best conference. The Southland is one of the worst conferences.
Yes, USD lost 4 of 5 to end the year but to playoff teams. Not SE Louisiana. Anything can happen and traveling sucks but the spreads are what they are because of all this. Like someone on here said, Nichols has one win against a team with a winning record (6-5). The rest were one possession wins against 1 or 2 win teams in one of the worst conferences.

katss07
November 22nd, 2017, 10:59 AM
SDSU is a very good team. With a bad throwing hand Streveler still put up 580 yards on offense and took the #5 seed to the wire.

There is no comparing Nichols record, stats, or anything else to USD. Apples to oranges. USD put up those numbers against the best teams in the nation every week in the best conference. The Southland is one of the worst conferences.
Yes, USD lost 4 of 5 to end the year but to playoff teams. Not SE Louisiana. Anything can happen and traveling sucks but the spreads are what they are because of all this. Like someone on here said, Nichols has one win against a team with a winning record (6-5). The rest were one possession wins against 1 or 2 win teams in one of the worst conferences.

The Southland isn’t one of the “worst conferences” three bids in the playoffs and two seeds. Guess what!? We have as many seeds as the MVFC! Wow, right? Secondly, Nicholls has beaten a 9-2 team, so no SELA isn’t their only decent win. Also, since when is ISUr a playoff team. I never said Streveler was not doing well, but I just watched the first half of the South Dakota vs South Dakota State game a while ago, and he was just decent. He has ability to pass and he is a good runner. He won’t be able to take hits this weekend though because, if we are being real, USD is toast without him. Also, it’s not like comparing apples to oranges. Both are playoff teams, and we will see who wins this weekend. No need to make up stats about who NSU has and hasn’t beaten.

caribbeanhen
November 22nd, 2017, 11:02 AM
Put Streveler on JSU's roster and they win the title with ease.....

who is this guy? Armanti?

katss07
November 22nd, 2017, 11:04 AM
Who is better, the USD quarterback or the Richmond quarterback?

Professor Chaos
November 22nd, 2017, 11:04 AM
who is this guy? Armanti?
Better passer (this year at least). Much stronger and more punishing runner. Nearly as fast. Not nearly as elusive.

Who is better, the USD quarterback or the Richmond quarterback?
IMO Lauletta is a better passer but Streveler is more dangerous as a dual threat.

BisonFan02
November 22nd, 2017, 11:08 AM
Streveler is FCS Tebow.

POD Knows
November 22nd, 2017, 11:09 AM
Who is better, the USD quarterback or the Richmond quarterback?Streveler, USD, we have played against them both, the Richmond QB might throw the ball a little better but Streveler is a pure dual threat guy.

POD Knows
November 22nd, 2017, 11:09 AM
Streveler is FCS Tebow.He throws the ball better than Tebow.

mango433
November 22nd, 2017, 11:10 AM

Hold up. Streveler didn't put up 580 yards of offense against SDSU. He had 286 yards passing and 65 yards rushing. USD as a whole may have put up 580 yards of offense but that's because the running backs were gashing SDSU up the middle.

BisonFan02
November 22nd, 2017, 11:10 AM
He throws the ball better than Tebow.

At times, but he does throw alot of ducks into the ground too (injury aided). I'm not saying it as a bad thing. He's a scary collegiate QB.