PDA

View Full Version : Predict the seeds.

Bisonator
November 18th, 2017, 08:36 PM
Put what you think the committee will have for seeds not what you think they should have.

My guess:

1. JMU
2. JSU
3. NDSU
4. UCA
5. SHSU
6. SDSU
7. SUU
8. Wofford

thebootfitter
November 18th, 2017, 08:40 PM
I think the committee is getting a bit more sophisticated. I don't think there's any way NDSU gets lower than two.

You also suggest that they'll have NDSU and SDSU on the same side of the bracket. The new guideline they have this year suggests they won't.

POD Knows
November 18th, 2017, 08:44 PM
1. JMU
2. NDSU
3. UCA
4. JSU
5. SHSU
6. SDSU ( should be the 3 or 4 seed but won't be)
7. SUU
8. Wofford

Bisonator
November 18th, 2017, 08:45 PM
I think the committee is getting a bit more sophisticated. I don't think there's any way NDSU gets lower than two.

You also suggest that they'll have NDSU and SDSU on the same side of the bracket. The new guideline they have this year suggests they won't.
I'd like to believe that but until they actually do it I doubt it.

TheKingpin28
November 18th, 2017, 08:45 PM
This is what it I think it should be:

1. JMU
2. NDSU
3. UCA
4. SDSU
5. JSU
6. SHSU
7. WIU
8. SUU

This is what I think it will be:

1. JMU
2. JSU
3. NDSU
4. UCA
5. SHSU
6. SDSU
7. Wofford
8. SUU

So are 2 seeds from the same conference required to be on opposite sides or was that a myth?

JaxSinfonian
November 18th, 2017, 08:46 PM
I don't think there's any way NDSU gets lower than two.

Agreed. I wouldn't be surprised (or upset) to see the first four ordered this way:

1. JMU
2. NDSU
3. UCA
4. JSU

Utgrizfan
November 18th, 2017, 08:49 PM
Don't get why you would rank SUU so low especially after they dominated Weber State, EWU, NAU and UNI

katss07
November 18th, 2017, 08:51 PM
1. James Madison
2. North Dakota State
3. Jacksonville State
4. Central Arkansas
5. South Dakota State
6. Sam Houston State
7. Southern Utah
8. Wofford
———————————
9. Western Illinois
10. Stony Brook

BisonTru
November 18th, 2017, 09:00 PM
The top 8 are lock in, IMO. The top 4 are also locked in, IMO. The order:

1. James Madison (locked)
2. North Dakota St (I think they've leap frogged with their SOS, but UCA or JSU could be here as well)
3. Central Arkansas (could move up 1 or dn 1)
4. Jacksonville St (like I said top 4 are locked in, this is the farthest down JSU could be, IMO)

-The next four I would strongly guess will be seeded, but the order I'm really up in the air with.

5. Sam Houston St
6. South Dakota St
7. Wofford
8. Southern Utah

ElCid
November 18th, 2017, 09:05 PM
Just a hunch.

1. JMU
2. NDSU
3. JSU
4. UCA
5. SUU
6. SDSU
7. Wofford
8. SHSU

RabidRabbit
November 18th, 2017, 09:06 PM
1 JMU
2 NDSU
3 UCA
4 JSU
5 SDSU
6 SHSU
7 SUU
8 WOFFORD

9 WIU
10 STONY BROOK

We'll see how much regionalism influences sèeds. If regionalism controls, then NDSU/SDSU and UCA/SHSU will be quarterfinalists if win 2nd round.

The Kicker
November 18th, 2017, 09:09 PM
1. James Madison
2. North Dakota St.
3. Central Arkansas
4. Jacksonville St.
5. South Dakota St.
6. Southern Utah
7. Sam Houston St.
8. Stony Brook

WileECoyote06
November 18th, 2017, 09:11 PM
I predict that this new rule against conference mates being on the same side of the bracket is going to wreak havoc on seeding.

1. James Madison
2. Jacksonville State
3. North Dakota State
4. Central Arkansas
5. South Dakota State
6. Southern Utah
7. Sam Houston State
8. Wofford

I believe South Dakota State and Southern Utah should swap, but with NDSU in the 3-seed, SDSU can't be a 6.

Sidebar: JSU was moved to #2 because they have no FCS losses, and their best FCS wins were all on the road.

FargoBison
November 18th, 2017, 09:12 PM
1. JMU
2. NDSU
3. UCA
4. JSU
5. SHSU
6. SDSU
7. SUU
8. Wofford

- - - Updated - - -

I predict that this new rule against conference mates being on the same side of the bracket is going to wreak havoc on seeding.

1. James Madison
2. Jacksonville State
3. North Dakota State
4. Central Arkansas
5. South Dakota State
6. Southern Utah
7. Sam Houston State
8. Wofford

I believe South Dakota State and Southern Utah should swap, but with NDSU in the 3-seed, SDSU can't be a 6.

Apparently this rule was never thing.

BEAR
November 18th, 2017, 09:13 PM
1. JMU
2. NDSU
3. UCA
4. JSU
5. SHSU
6. SDSU ( should be the 3 or 4 seed but won't be)
7. SUU
8. Wofford

I'll second this.

JMU continues to roll.
NDSU has history and plays a tough schedule.
UCA has played far above the level of the SLC this year and looks to be a complete team on a mission.
JSU is getting a ton of respect.
SHSU appears to have it together.
SDSU is better than 6

Professor Chaos
November 18th, 2017, 09:17 PM
1 JMU
2 NDSU
3 UCA
4 JSU
5 SDSU
6 SHSU
7 SUU
8 WOFFORD

9 WIU
10 STONY BROOK

We'll see how much regionalism influences sèeds. If regionalism controls, then NDSU/SDSU and UCA/SHSU will be quarterfinalists if win 2nd round.
Agree with this. Although I can see JSU being a spot or two higher due to some weird obsession the committee has with them (it's almost like their AD is on the committee). Also wouldn't be surprised to see 5 and 6 switched around or 7 and 8 switched around but this is how they should be.

ming01
November 18th, 2017, 09:36 PM

1. James Madison
2. Jacksonville State
3. North Dakota State
4. Central Arkansas
5. South Dakota State
6. Southern Utah
7. Sam Houston State
8. Wofford

Sidebar: JSU was moved to #2 because they have no FCS losses, and their best FCS wins were all on the road.

This rule has been debunked

Utgrizfan
November 18th, 2017, 09:44 PM
SUU will be ahead of SHSU due to SoS

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 18th, 2017, 09:52 PM
1. JMU
2. NDSU
3. SDSU
4. SUU
5. Stony Brook
6. Wofford
7 Jacksonville State

And my shocker:
8. Kennesaw State

The SLC is pretty bad in the Sagarin Ratings (below the Big South). And Kennesaw ran the table in the Big South and boatraced Monmouth.

ElCid
November 18th, 2017, 10:06 PM
1. JMU
2. NDSU
3. SDSU
4. SUU
5. Stony Brook
6. Wofford
7 Jacksonville State

And my shocker:
8. Kennesaw State

The SLC is pretty bad in the Sagarin Ratings (below the Big South). And Kennesaw ran the table in the Big South and boatraced Monmouth.

Interesting but no way UCA gets left out....especially to K St. Stony Brook could surprise though.

dewey
November 18th, 2017, 10:06 PM
1. James Madison
2. North Dakota St.
3. Central Arkansas
4. Jacksonville St.
5. South Dakota St.
6. Southern Utah
7. Sam Houston St.
8. Stony Brook

I will second this list of seeds. Very well done.

Dewey

Reign of Terrier
November 18th, 2017, 10:08 PM
Just as a sidenote, you may hate Wofford's squeaker victories this year, but we are a team alone-at-the-top of our conference with 9 D1 wins. We deserve a seed <shrug emoji>

Bisonwinagn
November 18th, 2017, 10:19 PM
The committee chair has already stated seeded teams will not be changed for any reason. They rank teams as they see fit without regards for conference.

katss07
November 18th, 2017, 10:25 PM
SUU will be ahead of SHSU due to SoS
Your joking, right.

I hope you’re joking. SoS doesn’t matter if you lose the games.
SHSU wins the games. Only loss is to 3 or 4 UCA.

POD Knows
November 18th, 2017, 10:28 PM
Your joking, right.

SHSU wins the games. Only loss is to 3 or 4 UCA.It is the only team you played, SHSU is going to get boat raced early.

Bisonoline
November 18th, 2017, 10:31 PM
The committee chair has already stated seeded teams will not be changed for any reason. They rank teams as they see fit without regards for conference.

Now if we could get them to do that with the rest of the field.

katss07
November 18th, 2017, 10:32 PM
It is the only team you played, SHSU is going to get boat raced early.

Nicholls is good, Richmond is above average and UCA is elite. Only lossed to them by 11 on the stripes, a very tough place to play. Plus, their QB was having a great game and Briscoe wasn’t on his A game. Not making excuses, they were the better team (by a lot) and they very well could still be.

I just don’t think SUU will get a seed over SHSU. SoS matters, but not that much. They won’t hop Sam, and I will be very surprised if we are lower than 6 tomorrow morning.

mmiller_34
November 18th, 2017, 10:33 PM
1. James Madison
2. North Dakota State
3. Central Arkansas
4. Jacksonville State
5. Sam Houston State
6. Southern Utah
7. South Dakota State
8. Wofford

JSUSoutherner
November 18th, 2017, 10:36 PM
I think a lot of people will be mad if we are the two seed.

I'll be laughing all the way to our semifinal exit.

Thumper 76
November 18th, 2017, 10:38 PM

*unless they can use to to get an extra bus trip in the Dakotas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dewey
Your joking, right.

SHSU wins the games. Only loss is to 3 or 4 UCA.

How did that work out for SHSU last year when they were undefeated and the #1 team in the Coaches poll? SOS does matter and it absolutely should matter. You should get rewarded and demoted for SOS.

I could easily see SDSU, Weber, SUU, Wofford ahead of SHSU. SHSU has name recognition but the SOS is terrible

Dewey

mmiller_34
I think a lot of people will be mad if we are the two seed.

I'll be laughing all the way to our semifinal exit.

I can play with that scenario. If JSU were a 2 seed this is how the seeds will look:

1. James Madison
2. Jacksonville State
3. North Dakota State
4. Central Arkansas
5. Sam Houston State
6. South Dakota State
7. Southern Utah
8. Wofford

3 out of 4 potential quarter final match ups being "regional". The Committee is licking their chops.

JSUSoutherner
November 18th, 2017, 10:40 PM
I can play with that scenario. If JSU were a 2 seed this is how the seeds will look:

1. James Madison
2. Jacksonville State
3. North Dakota State
4. Central Arkansas
5. Sam Houston State
6. South Dakota State
7. Southern Utah
8. Wofford
Swap Wofford and SUU and that's what I think we'll see tomorrow.

Wofford would make be a bus trip to JSU.

I know they are for JMU too, but idgaf.

katss07
November 18th, 2017, 11:16 PM
How did that work out for SHSU last year when they were undefeated and the #1 team in the Coaches poll? SOS does matter and it absolutely should matter. You should get rewarded and demoted for SOS.

I could easily see SDSU, Weber, SUU, Wofford ahead of SHSU. SHSU has name recognition but the SOS is terrible

Dewey

I didn’t work out well at all, but you’re completely missing my point. If you have a strong SoS, good for you! Nice job. But if you go 7-4, compared to a team with a weaker SoS that is 10-1 or 9-2, the team with better record will be given a higher seed. I’m not saying SHSU has a great schedule because we don’t. Its much better than last season, but still not as strong as it should be. But we are 10-1, and should be put ahead of 2 or 3 loss Big Sky teams.

I have tons of respect for Stony Brook and SUU. Both are great programs with good fans. I have seen them both play at Bowers. Top notch teams, really. But the committee has already seeded us in past rankings as 5 or 6. If we learned anything last year, its that the committee doesn’t change their seeding much. Last season SHSU killed a good UCA team in the final weekend, but stayed at 5. Last year, the committee’s stubbornness hurt us. This year, it will help. Instead of going to JMU or NDSU, we will be sent to UCA or Jax St or SDSU. All great programs, and those three deserve a lot of credit. But I would rather go to Conway than to Fargo.

Professor Chaos
November 18th, 2017, 11:19 PM
I didn’t work out well at all, but you’re completely missing my point. If you have a strong SoS, good for you! Nice job. But if you go 7-4, compared to a team with a weaker SoS that is 10-1 or 9-2, the team with better record will be given a higher seed. I’m not saying SHSU has a great schedule because we don’t. Its much better than last season, but still not as strong as it should be. But we are 10-1, and should be put ahead of 2 or 3 loss Big Sky teams.

I have tons of respect for Stony Brook and SUU. Both are great programs with good fans. I have seen them both play at Bowers. Top notch teams, really. But the committee has already seeded us in past rankings as 5 or 6. If we learned anything last year, its that the committee doesn’t change their seeding much. Last season SHSU killed a good UCA team in the final weekend, but stayed at 5. Last year, the committee’s stubbornness hurt us. This year, it will help. Instead of going to JMU or NDSU, we will be sent to UCA or Jax St or SDSU. All great programs, and those three deserve a lot of credit. But I would rather go to Conway than to Fargo.
Both Stony Brook and SUU have FBS losses. Those aren't the same as FCS losses in the eyes of the selection committee and their chairman has stated as much this year even. So in reality SHSU, SUU, and SBU are all 1 loss teams and SUU and SBU just have asterisk next to their number in the loss column.

FWIW, I think that will also come into play when comparing NDSU (who has an FCS loss) with UCA and JSU (who don't).

katss07
November 18th, 2017, 11:24 PM
Both Stony Brook and SUU have FBS losses. Those aren't the same as FCS losses in the eyes of the selection committee and their chairman has stated as much this year even. So in reality SHSU, SUU, and SBU are all 1 loss teams and SUU and SBU just have asterisk next to their number in the loss column.

FWIW, I think that will also come into play when comparing NDSU (who has an FCS loss) with UCA and JSU (who don't).

Maybe, but NDSU has a top 10 SoS. If you are going to buy into the SoS argument so much, NDSU should have the two. Honestly, I would be surprised if NDSU was anywhere but at two tomorrow morning. They have a top notch resume, a strong SoS, a quality loss and many good wins. UCA has a good win against SHSU and McNeese. Decent SoS. Jax St has a proven defensive unit, but a weak offense and SoS.

I think the seeds line up like this.
1. JMU
2. NDSU
3. JSU
4. UCA
5. SDSU
6. SHSU
7. SUU
8. Wofford
——————
9. Stony Brook
10. Western Illinois

The Kicker
November 18th, 2017, 11:31 PM
Briscoe isn't on his A game vs a lot of good teams lol. Funny how that happens

Professor Chaos
November 18th, 2017, 11:32 PM
Maybe, but NDSU has a top 10 SoS. If you are going to buy into the SoS argument so much, NDSU should have the two. Honestly, I would be surprised if NDSU was anywhere but at two tomorrow morning. They have a top notch resume, a strong SoS, a quality loss and many good wins. UCA has a good win against SHSU and McNeese. Decent SoS. Jax St has a proven defensive unit, but a weak offense and SoS.

I think the seeds line up like this.
1. JMU
2. NDSU
3. JSU
4. UCA
5. SDSU
6. SHSU
7. SUU
8. Wofford
——————
9. Stony Brook
10. Western Illinois
Agreed with NDSU being at 2 (with my slightly biased point of view :D).

However, if you're buying that SoS argument there I think you need to buy SUU in front of SHSU then too. SUU has wins over 3 sure playoff teams in Weber, UNI, and EWU (yeah, I think EWU is a sure playoff team) and add another quality win against NAU who is on the bubble. They have a somewhat bad loss to Sac St but that loss isn't looking nearly as bad now as it did when it happened. I think their quality wins over SHSU more than make up for that bad loss (which SHSU obviously doesn't have).

WileECoyote06
November 19th, 2017, 03:21 AM
This rule has been debunked

Oh okay. Good, I thought it was a dumb rule.

Professor Chaos
November 19th, 2017, 07:36 AM
Oh okay. Good, I thought it was a dumb rule.
I kinda liked it. That was really the impetus behind the MVFC teams all getting loaded up on one side the bracket in 2015. They seeded Illinois St at #2 and NDSU at #3 so both on the bottom side of the bracket so after that, due to rationalization, they "had" to dump the other MVFC teams playing in the first round down there as well. If it is changing seeds in the top 4 i think that might be a little much (which it would've had to in 2015) but if it switches around the 5/6 seeds or the 7/8 seeds I don't think it would've been a big deal. Last year it would've been uber obvious to switch around UND and SDSU giving SDSU the 7 and UND the 8 to avoid them having to play their respective conference co-champs in the quarters so I think that's a great example of where a rule like this would've made sense.

Daytripper
November 19th, 2017, 09:02 AM
It is the only team you played, SHSU is going to get boat raced early.

They say that every year.... Then we get to the quarters or the semis.

JSUSoutherner
November 19th, 2017, 09:03 AM
They say that every year.... Then we get to the quarters or the semis.
How's that been working out for you?

Daytripper
November 19th, 2017, 09:10 AM
How's that been working out for you?

Same as it has for you.

JSUSoutherner
November 19th, 2017, 09:14 AM
Same as it has for you.
Nah.

I'd rather lose by two scores than get embarrassed by 9 scores.

Plus, pretty sure we put one of those storied beat downs on you guys.

Cocky
November 19th, 2017, 09:15 AM
1 JMU
2 JSU
3 NDSU
4 UCA
5 SUU
6 SDSU
7 SHSU
8 Stony Brook

Daytripper
November 19th, 2017, 09:16 AM
Nah.

I'd rather lose by two scores than get embarrassed by 9 scores.

Plus, pretty sure we put one of those storied beat downs on you guys.

Okay, celebrate those good playoff losses.

JSUSoutherner
November 19th, 2017, 09:18 AM
Okay, celebrate those good playoff losses.
Never said it was a good loss.

I just said theres a difference between losing and getting hilariously skulldragged.

Daytripper
November 19th, 2017, 09:23 AM
Never said it was a good loss.

I just said theres a difference between losing and getting hilariously skulldragged.

No. You piled on when PODKnows suggested we lose early in the playoffs. You are really a troll just like DiryDukes and others who seem obsessed with SHSU.

JSUSoutherner
November 19th, 2017, 09:24 AM
No. You piled on when PODKnows suggested we lose early in the playoffs. You are really a troll just like DiryDukes and others who seem obsessed with SHSU.
I didn't respond to POD's post. I responded to your post.

semobison
November 19th, 2017, 09:28 AM
Briscoe isn't on his A game vs a lot of good teams lol. Funny how that happens

Im going to agree with this.

katss07
November 19th, 2017, 09:42 AM
Im going to agree with this.
He is on his A game enough to win the player of the year award lol.

semobison
November 19th, 2017, 10:02 AM
He is on his A game enough to win the player of the year award lol.

Yup, puts up gawky numbers against poor defenses. Plays poorly when he runs into a defense with a pulse. Individual awards are all about stats...not that impressed!