PDA

View Full Version : SLC Coaches Turnover Makes SLC Predictions Difficult

TexasTerror
February 12th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Didn't realize that Coach Whitten is second to only Scott Stoker of NWST in terms of longevity at an SLC school...from a Kevin Gore (Daily Sentinel) column...

As we all know, the SLC is a 'battle' every single week of the season as is, regardless of who the coaches are. The rivalries are getting better each season. There's always that cellar dweller knocking off the league's top dog. It's a fun league to follow without question. Road or home. Doesn't matter...
---------------------
Picking next week's league winner will be difficult, not only because of what will be on the field but because of who will be on the sidelines.

The league will feature four first-year head coaches — Harper at SFA, Matt Viator of McNeese, Brad Wright of Texas State and Mike Lucas of Southeastern Louisiana.

The old-timers of the league now are Sam Houston's Todd Whitten, who will begin his third season, and Northwestern State's Scott Stoker, who will begin his sixth season.

The other coach — Central Arkansas' Clint Conque — could be considered a newcomer to the league, as well.

The Bears are joining the league next season.

http://www.lufkindailynews.com/sports/content/region/SFA/stories/2007/02/11/COLUMNsfa.html

Mr. C
February 12th, 2007, 10:58 PM
I don't think you can hardly call Matt Viator a first-year head coach. All he did last year was win the Southland, go to the FCS playoffs and receive a lot of national coach of the year votes.

slycat
February 12th, 2007, 11:00 PM
I don't think you can hardly call Matt Viator a first-year head coach. All he did last year was win the Southland, go to the FCS playoffs and receive a lot of national coach of the year votes.

but it is his first year to do recruiting and spring drills as the head coach.

Purple Pride
February 12th, 2007, 11:25 PM
The other coach — Central Arkansas' Clint Conque — could be considered a newcomer to the league, as well.

The Bears are joining the league next season.

http://www.lufkindailynews.com/sports/content/region/SFA/stories/2007/02/11/COLUMNsfa.html
I love it. Ya'll just keep writing us off.;)

Lionsrking
February 12th, 2007, 11:44 PM

I don't think anyone is writing any school off. This league is too unpredictable from week to week.

Purple Pride
February 12th, 2007, 11:57 PM
I don't think anyone is writing any school off. This league is too unpredictable from week to week.
Everyone except Texas Terror has picked us to finish last in the SLC.:thumbsup:

TexasTerror
February 13th, 2007, 07:25 AM

Hey, I know how to keep the UCA faithful happy! :nod:

I don't think the above article posted makes anything different. No one was writing off UCA in that article and I'm not writing UCA off. Stinks that UCA has to play NWST so early on the schedule due to that NWST/Ole Miss game...

NSUDemon98
February 13th, 2007, 07:43 AM

Not sure how you could consider that "writing you off"...however, ya'll also do your fair share of predicting to finish extremely high your first year. One in the same...

However, you won't have the luxury of dotting your schedule with 4 Div. II squads to ease the load.

JoshUCA
February 13th, 2007, 09:25 AM
However, you won't have the luxury of dotting your schedule with 4 Div. II squads to ease the load.

Very true!!:thumbsup:

February 14th, 2007, 11:37 AM
hey fellas none of these guys are new comers to the slc. vitar, harper and especially lucas who has coached in the slc for how many years. thats why the teams dont drop off after a coach leaves most of them have gotten better and i look for the same from the changes that where made this year. next changes in the league to go will probably be nwstate and nicholls. why? because they both have coaches that are good and could head coach in any league including moving up to 1a. both schools dont know what they have. nw is good every year and competes well outside conference and nicholls is starting to get the same respect from across the country. mainly because their coaches are known beyond the slc and are liked by other programs. why latech just did not go get one of those guys instead of getting someone who does not know la is crazy but i guess thats why they are where they are. i believe nicholls pretty much won in every catagory but score and nwstate probably would have beat them, not to mention the other schools in the conference that would have.

i think the league will be great fun this year, and glad to have a new school in the league. welcome uca! looking forward to seeing how it all plays out. good luck to all the new hc this year!

slycat
February 14th, 2007, 12:36 PM

i just put yall done there since yall lost a lot of senoirs and didnt know quite where to put yall yet. are you returning any big impact players?

Seat16Demon
February 14th, 2007, 03:42 PM

There is no way that anyone can write off UCA, they showed last year in a couple of big wins against SLC schools how ready they are to rumble into the league. You really can't write off any team in this league.
:thumbsup: