PDA

View Full Version : Hampton president says leaving MEAC ‘is a risk, but it’s not a gamble’

WestCoastAggie
November 17th, 2017, 02:10 PM
Hampton president says leaving MEAC ‘is a risk, but it’s not a gamble’
Harvey said that each of his coaches favored the move to the Big South. “I was the holdout,” he said. “But we thought, and the coaches thought, that this would be a good thing for their programs.”
The coaches are gambling, or hoping, that Hampton’s affiliation with a predominantly white conference will help with the recruitment of talented athletes that HBCUs have been losing to predominantly white schools. The MEAC is ranked 32nd in conference power rankings. The Big South is 21st.

https://theundefeated.com/features/hampton-hbcu-leaving-meac-for-big-south-conference/

kdinva
November 17th, 2017, 02:16 PM
Hampton president says leaving MEAC ‘is a risk, but it’s not a gamble’

https://theundefeated.com/features/hampton-hbcu-leaving-meac-for-big-south-conference/

with a predominantly white conference

maybe with regards to baseball and swimming and soccer.....

WestCoastAggie
November 17th, 2017, 02:23 PM
maybe with regards to baseball and swimming and soccer.....

Think overall "student body."

th0m
November 17th, 2017, 02:27 PM

So you think Hampton wants to shy away from being HBCU? Or recruit African American athletes that do not necessarily want to compete in a HBCU conf?

Seems like the former is something that goes beyond just athletics.

kdinva
November 17th, 2017, 02:30 PM

got it!

WestCoastAggie
November 17th, 2017, 02:39 PM
So you think Hampton wants to shy away from being HBCU? Or recruit African American athletes that do not necessarily want to compete in a HBCU conf?

No. HBCU runs in their blood, just like A&T, NCCU, Norfolk State, etc... However, we all are competing for the best and the brightest students locally, nationally and globally. A&T is also fighting for research dollars and in many aspects are only behind UNC and NC State for that kind of funding in North Carolina.

However, we just haven't been attracting the best student-athletes collectively, regardless of race, gender and nationally. A&T is fighting to improve it's athletes it recruits; and that Celebration Bowl money, along with the FBS guarantees have helped tremendously. Even our basketball teams are turning back around towards the upside.

Hampton's Dr. Harvey has his own plans to improve the odds of landing quality student-athletes his own way; leaving the MEAC.

PantherRob82
November 17th, 2017, 03:39 PM

Hampton recruiting visits:
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26537&stc=1

katss07
November 17th, 2017, 03:48 PM
It will be interesting to see Hampton competing for the playoffs. In the MEAC they could, but never really did. I think this will help them immensely.

Will UNA be going to the Big South next year too?

ASU33
November 17th, 2017, 04:03 PM
This was about Dr.Harvey and his ability or inability to throw his weight around anymore. Usually when Hampton threatens to leave the MEAC caves to their demands, this time the MEAC told them to GTFO. This thing has been brewing for almost a decade.

WestCoastAggie
November 17th, 2017, 05:11 PM
This was about Dr.Harvey and his ability or inability to throw his weight around anymore. Usually when Hampton threatens to leave the MEAC caves to their demands, this time the MEAC told them to GTFO. This thing has been brewing for almost a decade.

Allegedly, the deal with Dr. Harvey and the Big South was made about a year ago.

NorthChuckSouth
November 17th, 2017, 05:12 PM
I’m surprised the big south is 21st....

but, welcome to the conference to all Hampton alumni and fans.. looking forward to having y’all!

WestCoastAggie
November 17th, 2017, 05:12 PM

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/glee/images/2/22/Peter_done.gif/revision/latest?cb=20130317021235

WileECoyote06
November 17th, 2017, 05:17 PM
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/glee/images/2/22/Peter_done.gif/revision/latest?cb=20130317021235

It was well-timed and apropos. xlolx

PantherRob82
November 17th, 2017, 06:21 PM
What did Hampton want that the MEAC didn’t cave to?

PantherRob82
November 17th, 2017, 06:23 PM
It was well-timed and apropos. xlolx
If it crossed a line then I’m the first to say ‘my bad’. I thought it was appropriate at that point in the conversation. I have a black friend, so it’s okay. xcoffeexxpeacex

WestCoastAggie
November 17th, 2017, 06:34 PM
If it crossed a line then I’m the first to say ‘my bad’. I thought it was appropriate at that point in the conversation. I have a black friend, so it’s okay. xcoffeexxpeacex

Oh naw... The "Blazing Saddles" Reference is a perfect quip for the whole "Hampton to the Big South" thing. It fits.

ASU33
November 17th, 2017, 07:15 PM

Lmao!

ASU33
November 17th, 2017, 07:19 PM
Harvey was anti Celebration Bowl. He wanted the MEAC to expand and split into divisions to cut down on travel. There's quite a few other things also.

PantherRob82
November 17th, 2017, 08:01 PM
Harvey was anti Celebration Bowl. He wanted the MEAC to expand and split into divisions to cut down on travel. There's quite a few other things also.

Both of those things make sense. I guess he gets his way with this move. If no one shuns them for OOC games then I think it could be a good move. If they can’t get their rivals to do home and homes or classics with them then this idea might tank real quick.

UNAPride
November 17th, 2017, 08:15 PM
It will be interesting to see Hampton competing for the playoffs. In the MEAC they could, but never really did. I think this will help them immensely.

Will UNA be going to the Big South next year too?

UNA will begin their transition next season but won't play in the Big South until 2019.

The Lions faced off against Hampton a couple of times in the D2 playoffs back in the day.

katss07
November 17th, 2017, 08:25 PM
UNA will begin their transition next season but won't play in the Big South until 2019.

The Lions faced off against Hampton a couple of times in the D2 playoffs back in the day.

Could develop a fun rivalry once both teams get good. I fully expect UNA to be better before Hampton is though, which is sad. The Pirates have not done anything in what seems like forever.

WileECoyote06
November 17th, 2017, 08:27 PM

Every source I've read has said he was pro-Celebration Bowl. The three schools against the Celebration Bowl were rumored to be A&T, NCCU, and SSU.

WileECoyote06
November 17th, 2017, 08:28 PM
Could develop a fun rivalry once both teams get good. I fully expect UNA to be better before Hampton is though, which is sad. The Pirates have not done anything in what seems like forever.

To hear Harvey tell it, the better caliber recruits are gonna start rolling in next year. xcoffeex

UNAPride
November 17th, 2017, 08:44 PM

I will be fun to see what rivalries develop with these schools.

UNA will hopefully reignite old rivalries/foes with others in FCS like Jax State and Alabama A&M, which is only an hour from Florence. We play A&M right off the bat in 2018 and 2019.

Lion1983
November 17th, 2017, 08:51 PM
I will be fun to see what rivalries develop with these schools.

UNA will hopefully reignite old rivalries/foes with others in FCS like Jax State and Alabama A&M, which is only an hour from Florence. We play A&M right off the bat in 2018 and 2019.

Hopefully, I sure do miss playing A&M. Looking forward to Hampton as well. I hope they can travel to Florence well.

ASU33
November 17th, 2017, 10:35 PM
Hopefully, I sure do miss playing A&M. Looking forward to Hampton as well. I hope they can travel to Florence well.

Hampton doesn't travel well but you'll get quite a contingency from A&M in Florence though.

Lion1983
November 18th, 2017, 01:01 AM
Hampton doesn't travel well but you'll get quite a contingency from A&M in Florence though.
Tons of A&M alum here in Florence. That's what made it a great rivalry, and only being down the road a bit.

WestCoastAggie
November 18th, 2017, 02:55 AM
Both of those things make sense. I guess he gets his way with this move. If no one shuns them for OOC games then I think it could be a good move. If they can’t get their rivals to do home and homes or classics with them then this idea might tank real quick.

The funny thing is Dr. Harvey voted for the damn game both times, while A&T’s Chancellor Martin and NCCU’s Chancellor voted no both times.

dgtw
November 18th, 2017, 07:22 AM
If this is what they want, I wish them well. I just hope the Big South doesn’t let them play one less conference game like the OVC does with Tennessee State.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

walliver
November 18th, 2017, 10:55 AM
If this is what they want, I wish them well. I just hope the Big South doesn’t let them play one less conference game like the OVC does with Tennessee State.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If anything, the Big South has a problem of too few conference games, hence their relatively weak OOC schedules. It is hard for them to play decent OOC FCS teams once the other conferences start conference play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

aceinthehole
November 18th, 2017, 11:19 AM
If anything, the Big South has a problem of too few conference games, hence their relatively weak OOC schedules. It is hard for them to play decent OOC FCS teams once the other conferences start conference play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yep and you also have Patriot and NEC teams each looking for 5 non-conference games each year. The effect for NEC teams has been at least one D-II home game and 4 FCS opponents for each school.

The only way to avoid the D-II is to schedule a PFL team (like SHU), and a few teams are adding FBS foes.

Big Dawg
November 21st, 2017, 11:49 AM
I'm not really gonna miss Hampton all that much, and to be honest, this might signal the beginning of the end of the MEAC as other schools may start looking at other options.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Delaware State try to leave soon...and SSU is already dropping back down to D2.

woffordgrad94
November 21st, 2017, 12:54 PM
I thought a risk and a gamble were about the same thing.

ASU33
November 21st, 2017, 01:52 PM
I'm not really gonna miss Hampton all that much, and to be honest, this might signal the beginning of the end of the MEAC as other schools may start looking at other options.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Delaware State try to leave soon...and SSU is already dropping back down to D2.

Delaware State has been talking about leaving for years. Not sure if anyone would miss them either

- - - Updated - - -

I thought a risk and a gamble were about the same thing.

As did I

Professor
November 21st, 2017, 01:54 PM
This is nothing but a ploy by Hampton to get into the CAA. They want to be on the same level as JMU and William and Mary