PDA

View Full Version : HBCU: Hampton To Join Big South

DFW HOYA
November 16th, 2017, 05:52 AM
If true, the Pirates would join Tennessee State as the only Division I HBCU's not playing in the MEAC or SWAC. (corrected).

https://hbcusports.com/2017/11/16/hampton-reportedly-preparing-to-bolt-meac-for-big-south-conference/

RootinFerDukes
November 16th, 2017, 05:55 AM
Very curious to know their justification in doing so. I think you meant they’re the only D1 hbcu not in the meac or swac.
Isn’t Tuskegee an hbcu? I’m sure there are others. Virginia State and Virginia Union in D2. Winston-Salem State all come to mind.

JaxSinfonian
November 16th, 2017, 06:49 AM
Very curious to know their justification in doing so. I think you meant they’re the only D1 hbcu not in the meac or swac.
Isn’t Tuskegee an hbcu? I’m sure there are others. Virginia State and Virginia Union in D2. Winston-Salem State all come to mind.

Tuskegee is DII.

ASU33
November 16th, 2017, 08:05 AM

All of the schools mentioned are D2

walliver
November 16th, 2017, 08:40 AM
I suspect this is primarily a non-football issue. The MEAC stretches from Delaware to Daytona To Tallahassee. That is a lot of travel for all sports. The Big South, outside of football is confined to Virginia and the Carolinas.

The Big South in football is very small with only 5-6 conference games a year, leaving Hampton with multiple slots to fill with historic rivals and “classics”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Professor
November 16th, 2017, 08:50 AM
I suspect this is primarily a non-football issue. The MEAC stretches from Delaware to Daytona To Tallahassee. That is a lot of travel for all sports. The Big South, outside of football is confined to Virginia and the Carolinas.

The Big South in football is very small with only 5-6 conference games a year, leaving Hampton with multiple slots to fill with historic rivals and “classics”.

They gonna save a lot of money in Olympic sport travel

Sitting Bull
November 16th, 2017, 08:54 AM
Hampton just FYI recently started men's lacrosse, the only HBC to do so.

i think Hampton has a vision that goes beyond H and B. This is a great move for them.

fc97
November 16th, 2017, 09:08 AM

i think Hampton has a vision that goes beyond H and B. This is a great move for them.

This may be the kick the Delaware State needs to make the same move that they've been discussing for years.

Panther88
November 16th, 2017, 09:10 AM

What is "goes beyond H and B?" xconfusedx

Sitting Bull
November 16th, 2017, 09:28 AM
What is "goes beyond H and B?" xconfusedx

Being lumped in a group defined as historical and black.

The Big South is much more diverse.

ASU33
November 16th, 2017, 09:31 AM

Conferences affiliation doesn't change that and Hampton isn't trying to change that either.

Professor
November 16th, 2017, 09:33 AM

Hampton is saving money with travel. That's all this about. Going to a regional conference from a conference that stretches from Delaware to Florida.

aceinthehole
November 16th, 2017, 10:11 AM
This may be the kick the Delaware State needs to make the same move that they've been discussing for years.

I hope so, I think they would make a nice addition to the Northeast Conference.

Closest member (and travel partner) would be Mt. St. Mary's in Maryland, there are easy bus trips to Pennsylvania (SFU and RMU) and the metro NYC area (FDU, LIU, Wagner, St. Francis-Brooklyn, and SHU). Longest trip would be to Bryant, but still a bus ride away.

http://www.northeastconference.org/common/controls/image_handler.aspx?thumb_id=15&image_path=/images/2016/7/18/NEC_Map1516.jpg

Lion1983
November 16th, 2017, 10:13 AM
Hampton is saving money with travel. That's all this about. Going to a regional conference from a conference that stretches from Delaware to Florida.

So they are trading Delaware to Florida for New Jersey to Alabama and possibly Florida in the future? To save money.......

walliver
November 16th, 2017, 10:19 AM
So they are trading Delaware to Florida for New Jersey to Alabama and possibly Florida in the future? To save money.......

Monmouth, Kennesaw, and North Alabama are not full members of the Big South. Only the football team would have to travel long distances.

Lion1983
November 16th, 2017, 10:33 AM
Monmouth, Kennesaw, and North Alabama are not full members of the Big South. Only the football team would have to travel long distances.

The way it's going, with Upstate joining the Big South, and not a lot of prospects for the A-Sun, It wouldn't be a stretch to say Kennesaw and North Alabama could be full members in the near future. And what if Stetson decides to add scholarships?

fc97
November 16th, 2017, 10:34 AM
I hope so, I think they would make a nice addition to the Northeast Conference.

Closest member (and travel partner) would be Mt. St. Mary's in Maryland, there are easy bus trips to Pennsylvania (SFU and RMU) and the metro NYC area (FDU, LIU, Wagner, St. Francis-Brooklyn, and SHU). Longest trip would be to Bryant, but still a bus ride away.

I guess the difference is that they haven't been in contact with the NEC, where the Big South and Delaware State have been negotiating for longer than Hampton has.

It's strange, Big South has only really lost Liberty (football only) and Coastal and short-timers Elon, VMI and Birmingham Southern. They've pulled in Campbell again, Gardner-Webb for all sports, Longwood, Presbyterian and now USC Upstate and Hampton. It's like they are prepping themselves for some other shift that they're expecting.

With the rate at which the A-Sun schools are moving out, I'm not sure if it is far fetched to think Kennesaw, UNA, Stetson and Jacksonville might become full members.

Professor
November 16th, 2017, 10:39 AM

Exactly , all other sports are in NC , SC and VA

aceinthehole
November 16th, 2017, 10:53 AM
I guess the difference is that they haven't been in contact with the NEC, where the Big South and Delaware State have been negotiating for longer than Hampton has.

I know that DSU and the NEC were in some discussions years ago that fell through. This goes back more than a few years and I'm not sure which side wasn't ready, but there has been some talk between them.

With the Big South now at 12 members, I can't see them adding more full members so either Hampton was their first choice or DSU isn't ready to leave the MEAC just yet. We shall see.

WestCoastAggie
November 16th, 2017, 10:58 AM
I just hope this doesn't turn into a "lets pick off the MEAC" kind of day.

WileECoyote06
November 16th, 2017, 11:19 AM
I just hope this doesn't turn into a "lets pick off the MEAC" kind of day.
The MEAC should have picked off the Big South.

I hope MEAC schools will show some pride and refuse to play them for a while. I hate when we play in Hampton anyway. . .they're notorious for bad spots and phantom fouls.

WestCoastAggie
November 16th, 2017, 11:27 AM

I hope MEAC schools will show some pride and refuse to play them for a while. I hate when we play in Hampton anyway. . .they're notorious for bad spots and phantom fouls.

You know we will schedule these guys, right?

Panther88
November 16th, 2017, 11:36 AM

Has nothing to do w/ nothing. Hampton was born, matriculated as, and will die w/ the federal designation as an HBCU. I'm sure their alums agree w/ that. All HBCUs have diversity so I'm not understanding your angle. xconfusedx

kdinva
November 16th, 2017, 11:46 AM
Big South FB members beginning in 2019:

Hampton, Gardner-Webb, Campbell, Presbyterian (??), Charleston Southern, Monmouth, Kennesaw State and North Alabama.

should be competitive!

WestCoastAggie
November 16th, 2017, 11:53 AM
Big South FB members beginning in 2019:

Hampton, Gardner-Webb, Campbell, Presbyterian (??), Charleston Southern, Monmouth, Kennesaw State and North Alabama.

should be competitive!

Hampton will also have 4-5 games to schedule. They'll definitely try to play Norfolk State and Howard yearly with A&T and NCCU as much as they can.

van
November 16th, 2017, 11:55 AM
Georgetown always looking for a game

DTSpider
November 16th, 2017, 11:59 AM
This seems like a good move for Hampton. Lower costs and they have OOC flexibility in football to pick up NSU and others.

REALBird
November 16th, 2017, 12:25 PM
I would agree that this seems like a great move for Hampton in the moment. Curious to see what future Big South expansion looks like and when/IF proposed new members come up whether this will still be good in the long run.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 16th, 2017, 12:32 PM
What does Norfolk State do? No school is more screwed by this move more than them.

Lion1983
November 16th, 2017, 12:37 PM
What does Norfolk State do? No school is more screwed by this move more than them.

Maybe they are next to the Big South?

Professor
November 16th, 2017, 12:45 PM

They were on life support at one time right?

ASU33
November 16th, 2017, 01:33 PM
Dear MEAC Brethren,

We're ready when you are!

Signed, Hornet Nation

Anthony215
November 16th, 2017, 01:37 PM
Travel wise this makes the most sense for Hampton. As for OCC games I'm sure they'll have no problem getting MEAC/SWAC opponents as well as maintain their rivalry games with Norfolk State & Howard. They actually can sell recruits on playing the traditional HBCU's while also playing a money game against an FBS school yearly while competing for a national championship since the Big South champion gets the automatic bid into the playoffs.

Professor
November 16th, 2017, 01:45 PM
Dear MEAC Brethren,

We're ready when you are!

Signed, Hornet Nation

Come on and bring Bama A&M with you

ASU33
November 16th, 2017, 01:47 PM
Come on and bring Bama A&M with you

Its been talked about before!

WileECoyote06
November 16th, 2017, 01:58 PM
Travel wise this makes the most sense for Hampton. As for OCC games I'm sure they'll have no problem getting MEAC/SWAC opponents as well as maintain their rivalry games with Norfolk State & Howard. They actually can sell recruits on playing the traditional HBCU's while also playing a money game against an FBS school yearly while competing for a national championship since the Big South champion gets the automatic bid into the playoffs.

Tennessee State's been selling this for years. Hasn't gotten them any closer to a FCS championship. I think this is about two things: travel and basketball.

WestCoastAggie
November 16th, 2017, 02:36 PM
Tennessee State's been selling this for years. Hasn't gotten them any closer to a FCS championship. I think this is about two things: travel and basketball.

That and a rumored growing relationship with Liberty University.

PantherRob82
November 16th, 2017, 02:58 PM
That and a rumored growing relationship with Liberty University.
Joking or serious?

ASU33
November 16th, 2017, 02:59 PM
Joking or serious?

No that was dead serious!

Mr.Loco
November 16th, 2017, 05:07 PM

They are diverse now.... but the MEAC should worry about SCSU.

CHIP72
November 16th, 2017, 05:46 PM

There are multiple conferences in D2, like the CIAA, that are all-HBCU. Additionally, there are a few D2 HBCU schools, like Cheyney, that play in non-HBCU leagues.

ASU33
November 16th, 2017, 05:51 PM
There are multiple conferences in D2, like the CIAA, that are all-HBCU. Additionally, there are a few D2 HBCU schools, like Cheyney, that play in non-HBCU leagues.

Chowan is a non-HBCU that's a member of the CIAA, the SIAC is the other D2 HBCU league

CHIP72
November 16th, 2017, 06:06 PM
Chowan is a non-HBCU that's a member of the CIAA, the SIAC is the other D2 HBCU league

Hmm, I did not know Chowan was a non-HBCU. They must play in the CIAA for geography purposes (which makes sense considering a large number of CIAA teams are in North Carolina).

WestCoastAggie
November 16th, 2017, 06:24 PM
Maybe a non-HBCU joins the MEAC.

cx500d
November 16th, 2017, 07:27 PM
Maybe a non-HBCU joins the MEAC.

Yeah I'm sure there are a lot that would jump at not playing for a real championship

PantherRob82
November 16th, 2017, 08:23 PM
Yeah I'm sure there are a lot that would jump at not playing for a real championship

...and playing for money? It wouldn’t shock me.

cx500d
November 16th, 2017, 08:27 PM
...and playing for money? It wouldn’t shock me.

They would be ineligible because its the HBCU "Championship"