PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Pick 'em - Week 12

carney2
November 11th, 2017, 02:54 PM
Johnny Carson’s Carnac the Magnificent would end his act by saying “I have in my hand the final envelope.” The audience would then erupt in prompted cheers to indicate that they were glad the act was ending. Bearing that in mind,

I present below the final slate of games for this historically bad (atrocious, abominable, mediocre, dreadful, horrid, sorry, rotten, pitiful, incompetent, painful, crappy, awful, terrible, lousy, deplorable, unspeakable …) season of Patriot League football.

[I now pause for the cheers. Take as long as you like.]

LAFAYETTE @ LEHIGH (Number 153)
COLGATE @ GEORGETOWN
BUCKNELL @ FORDHAM

Bye: Holy Cross (Season Finished)

Game of the Week: Lafayette @ Lehigh. It’s tradition. It’s a legitimate “I hate ‘em” rivalry. The stands will be packed. It will be watched across the country and, I believe, in some foreign countries on special TV hookups. Thousands and thousands actually care who wins this game. It’s the Patriot League’s version of a bowl game. I now defy you to tell me one thing – anything – about either of those other games that distinguishes it from a high school scrimmage in early August. Go ahead … I’m waiting.

I’m bringing this up for the 5th, 6th, 10th, … 20th time: How is it that a confederation of old and respected eastern colleges and universities, each with a storied athletic program, has only one traditional game to hype on the final Saturday of the football season? We can’t find even one other matchup to throw out there as something special? That bunch in Center Valley needs to pull their heads out of their butts.

bonarae
November 11th, 2017, 03:13 PM
Clearly, the Patriot has been overshadowed by our FCS brethren south of the Potomac and west of the Alleghenies, especially in social media and in forums like this one.

Lehigh
Colgate
Fordham

Lehigh'98
November 11th, 2017, 03:16 PM
Colgate Bucknell and HC Fordham should be final game each year. Colgate- Lehigh week prior.

LehighU11
November 11th, 2017, 03:19 PM
Agreed. My guess is that rather than creating another attractive rivalry game, the PL instead avoids slighting Colgate or critical associate member Fordham with a bye or one of the 2 teams that could care less about fielding a competitive team every year. This is one of the problems of a 7 team league with 2 associate members.

Holy Cross vs. Colgate would be natural, given that they are 2 of the top 4 most storied football programs in the League. I'd prefer that over HC vs. Fordham, another worthy matchup, since Colgate should not face Bucknell, Georgetown, or the resurgent BYE to finish the season every year.

My ideal week 12:
Lehigh vs. Lafayette
Colgate vs. Holy Cross
Fordham vs. Georgetown
Bucknell ends the season early to focus basketball. You know, the sport that matters in Lewisburg.

RichH2
November 11th, 2017, 03:32 PM
Agreed. My guess is that rather than creating another attractive rivalry game, the PL instead avoids slighting Colgate or critical associate member Fordham with a bye or one of the 2 teams that could care less about fielding a competitive team every year. This is one of the problems of a 7 team league with 2 associate members.

Holy Cross vs. Colgate would be natural, given that they are 2 of the top 4 most storied football programs in the League. I'd prefer that over HC vs. Fordham, another worthy matchup, since Colgate should not face Bucknell, Georgetown, or the resurgent BYE to finish the season every year.

My ideal week 12:
Lehigh vs. Lafayette
Colgate vs. Holy Cross
Fordham vs. Georgetown
Bucknell ends the season early to focus basketball. You know, the sport that matters in Lewisburg.

Like it :).

Sader87
November 11th, 2017, 04:04 PM
Colgate-HC makes more sense historically but I think HC-Fordham makes more sense institutionally and logistically.

We sort of make light of this issue to a degree but it really has hurt HC football (and others in the PL) in not having a "rivalry game"....HC has now been without one for ovah 30 years since the BC series ended in 1986....every season since then, in one way, shape or form has just sort of ended in a "poof" (like it did today) against a different school every year most years.

RichH2
November 11th, 2017, 05:41 PM
Up to your ADs to press the issue with Center Valley.

BucBisonAtLarge
November 11th, 2017, 06:56 PM
We recently endured our two years with the final week bye. (At least it feels recent.) In the fog of history, the school now called Bucknell was founded by Baptist missionaries from a Hamilton, NY institution, now called Colgate. That regular season-ending matchup sounds good to me, snowy tundra and all.

I am 34-14 thus far...

Bucknell- A homer pick, for sure. The turnover gods have already done their worst.
Lehigh- Go Pards
Colgate- cuz I read the papers

ngineer
November 11th, 2017, 10:38 PM
Colgate should win in a walk. Although I remember a number of years ago when 'gate had a very good team with a great back which went on to the, then, IAA playoffs, that almost stubbed their toe in D.C. and barely got away with a 21-20 win (something close to that). Hoyas will play respectable D, but will tire. Raiders roll in the second half. 38-6

The Bison make a trip to the Bronx Zoo and hope not to be detained. What Fordham team shows up? This could be a tight game and turnovers determining winner. My sense is that Bucky has a bit more incentive with a winning season on the line. Bucknell, 19-17.

Laughyette has shown a nice defense this year, which has given them better results than I think most expected in this new transition. Because of that, they can 'hang around' and hope for some turnover gods to provide opportunities for an inept offense. Lehigh's D has made inept offenses look vibrant this year (see Georgetown) and even Bucky scored some points. However, the Mountain Hawk D has shown some improvement of late and but for the four turnovers in the Bronx, they would be coming in undefeated in the PL. With the championship on the line, I cannot fathom Lehigh not coming out with fire in their eyes and focused. As of now, long range forecast is projecting a 50% chance of rain. That could change and typically, such forecasts tend to 'speed up', so here's hoping for a wet Friday. Lehigh nails third straight Rivalry win, 38-17.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 11th, 2017, 11:11 PM
My ideal week 12:

Lehigh vs. Lafayette
Colgate vs. Cornell
Holy Cross vs. BU
Georgetown vs. Loyola
Fordham vs. Columbia
Bucknell vs. Penn

Bonus game:

Brown vs. URI

PAllen
November 11th, 2017, 11:24 PM
My ideal week 12:

Lehigh vs. Lafayette
Colgate vs. Cornell
Holy Cross vs. BU
Georgetown vs. Loyola
Fordham vs. Columbia
Bucknell vs. Penn

Bonus game:

Brown vs. URI

Might as well throw Rutgers Princeton into the mix as well.

CHIP72
November 12th, 2017, 06:22 AM
My ideal week 12:

Lehigh vs. Lafayette
Colgate vs. Cornell
Holy Cross vs. BU
Georgetown vs. Loyola
Fordham vs. Columbia
Bucknell vs. Penn

Bonus game:

Brown vs. URI

Penn should always close with Princeton IMO, just like they do in basketball.

CHIP72
November 12th, 2017, 06:27 AM
Hey, question for everyone - based on the Patriot League tiebreakers, am I correct in saying the Colgate wins the Patriot League title if Lehigh loses to Lafayette, regardless what the Red Raiders do against Georgetown? It looks like in a 3-way tie (Colgate, Lafayette, Lehigh in this case, if Lafayette beats Lehigh and Colgate loses to Georgetown), if the 3 teams in the tie all went 1-1 against one another, the next tiebreaker step is result against the 4th place team, then against the 5th place team and so on. Colgate would win the tiebreaker in that scenario even if they lose to Georgetown because the Hoyas will finish last in the league. (Obviously, Colgate also wins the league by having the best league record if they beat Georgetown and Lafayette defeats Lehigh.) Is the above correct?

van
November 12th, 2017, 08:08 AM
Hey, question for everyone - based on the Patriot League tiebreakers, am I correct in saying the Colgate wins the Patriot League title if Lehigh loses to Lafayette, regardless what the Red Raiders do against Georgetown? It looks like in a 3-way tie (Colgate, Lafayette, Lehigh in this case, if Lafayette beats Lehigh and Colgate loses to Georgetown), if the 3 teams in the tie all went 1-1 against one another, the next tiebreaker step is result against the 4th place team, then against the 5th place team and so on. Colgate would win the tiebreaker in that scenario even if they lose to Georgetown because the Hoyas will finish last in the league. (Obviously, Colgate also wins the league by having the best league record if they beat Georgetown and Lafayette defeats Lehigh.) Is the above correct?

yeah, and a hugh comet hits the earth and knocks us into Mars orbit and we pinball off Mars and the polar cap freezes all the way to Key West

carney2
November 12th, 2017, 08:11 AM
Colgate-HC makes more sense historically

The brain dead schedule makers think so much of this matchup that it's been scheduled for Saturday, September 1st next season.

Which brings up a critical question that no one has addressed: is there a central scheduling body for the League, or is everyone on their own?

Roll 'gate
November 12th, 2017, 08:14 AM
LAFAYETTE @ LEHIGH - If lehigh drops this game somehow, someway then the ol saying of on any given Saturday will truly live up to its name. Not sure Lafayette could score on air let alone an actual defense (7 points against gtown, 0 against colgate). Pains me greatly to say but brown birds will be sent off for a first round playoff massacre.
COLGATE @ GEORGETOWN - Colgate will look to put up back to back goose eggs up defensively, and I expect them to be able to do it.
BUCKNELL @ FORDHAM - A game that has zero meaning for either side. Which team cares less? I expect Bucky to pack it in first.

LehighU11
November 12th, 2017, 08:16 AM

Believe so, but it won't happen. The 2 times Lafayette has beaten Lehigh in the past 9 meetings have been when LC has the best player on the field and arguably in the Patriot League (Ross Scheuerman). When Lehigh has the best player in the PL, these games aren't close. See Lum in 2011 and Shafnisky in 2015 and 2016. Bragalone is that player this year. Lafayette has 4 games with negative rushing yardage this season, so this could be a similar game to 2011 when the LC fans went back to the parking lot at halftime to drown their sorrows.

RichH2
November 12th, 2017, 08:17 AM
The brain dead schedule makers think so much of this matchup that it's been scheduled for Saturday, September 1st next season.

Which brings up a critical question that no one has addressed: is there a central scheduling body for the League, or is everyone on their own?
Center Valley does the PL schedules.

CHIP72
November 12th, 2017, 08:33 AM

yeah, and a hugh comet hits the earth and knocks us into Mars orbit and we pinball off Mars and the polar cap freezes all the way to Key West

Believe so, but it won't happen. The 2 times Lafayette has beaten Lehigh in the past 9 meetings have been when LC has the best player on the field and arguably in the Patriot League (Ross Scheuerman). When Lehigh has the best player in the PL, these games aren't close. See Lum in 2011 and Shafnisky in 2015 and 2016. Bragalone is that player this year. Lafayette has 4 games with negative rushing yardage this season, so this could be a similar game to 2011 when the LC fans went back to the parking lot at halftime to drown their sorrows.

Believe me, I think it is unlikely Lehigh loses at home to Lafayette, and even more unlikely Colgate loses anywhere to Georgetown, but I wanted to be clear on the tiebreaker scenario. I looked into it to begin with just to see if Lehigh could afford to lose to Lafayette in any scenario, or if Lehigh couldn't make the playoffs whether or not Lafayette could.

carney2
November 12th, 2017, 08:47 AM
LAFAYETTE @ LEHIGH (Number 153) – If you can score 14 points against Lafayette you win because the Lafayette offense can’t keep up. Lehigh can score 14 points. Actually, Lehigh’s No-D may allow Lafayette’s offense its highlight reel day for 2017 and they may even spin the scoreboard to 14 – or more, but it won’t prevent the rout.

COLGATE @ GEORGETOWN – Actually, people should care about this because the Raiders need to win, just in case … Does anyone think they won’t? Does anyone think Georgetown will score?

BUCKNELL @ FORDHAM – If any game ever deserved to be cancelled due to lack of interest, this is it.

CHIP72
November 12th, 2017, 08:54 AM
COLGATE @ GEORGETOWN – Actually, people should care about this because the Raiders need to win, just in case … Does anyone think they won’t? Does anyone think Georgetown will score?

Actually, Colgate does not need to win to keep their Patriot League championship hopes alive; they need a Lehigh loss and only a Lehigh loss to win the PL title, due to the Patriot League's 3-way tiebreaker rules for football. Colgate's game is actually meaningless with regard to the PL title picture.

Pards Rule
November 12th, 2017, 09:42 AM
Am ready for my 38th straight L-L game, with the pard too going to all 37 so far! Whats the spread on this one.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 12th, 2017, 10:11 AM
Understand that I my suggestion for the end-of-the-year games was mostly a gag, but in all seriousness, why not come up with some arrangement to end like this (assuming BU and Loyola don't shock the world and start football again):

Lehigh vs. Lafayette
Colgate vs. Cornell
Holy Cross vs. Georgetown
Fordham vs. Columbia
Bucknell vs. Penn
Brown vs. URI

Regional rivalries the week before Thanksgiving would be really good draws, I think, year in and year out, and it takes a bunch of bad matchups the last weekend of the year and makes them into decent games.

The best new additions would be Colgate/Cornell and Brown/URI, which are contested generally in September but would be great season-enders. And I sensed some enthusiasm for Fordham/Columbia to be rekindled on Rose Hill - they really should play each other every year, and if it were a season-ending game I think it would do even better.

Admittedly Penn/Bucknell is a bit of a reach but Penn/Cornell hasn't exactly been a pulse-racing season-ender for the Quakers either, and Dartmouth/Princeton has blossomed into its own sort-of weird rivalry on its own. If they wanted to break that up, you could make it Dartmouth/UNH and Princeton/Penn to end the year, but then Bucknell is left in the cold and would have to end against St. Francis (PA) or Duquesne.

DFW HOYA
November 12th, 2017, 11:24 AM
Understand that I my suggestion for the end-of-the-year games was mostly a gag, but in all seriousness, why not come up with some arrangement to end like this (assuming BU and Loyola don't shock the world and start football again):

Lehigh vs. Lafayette
Colgate vs. Cornell
Fordham vs. Columbia
Bucknell vs. Penn
Brown vs. URI

Lehigh vs. Lafayette
Colgate vs. Bucknell
Holy Cross vs. Fordham
Georgetown vs. Villanova
Richmond-William & Mary
Boston U-Northeastern

Now, if only there was a conference to accommodate this...

ColgateTD
November 12th, 2017, 11:29 AM
Admittedly Penn/Bucknell is a bit of a reach but Penn/Cornell hasn't exactly been a pulse-racing season-ender for the Quakers either, and Dartmouth/Princeton has blossomed into its own sort-of weird rivalry on its own. If they wanted to break that up, you could make it Dartmouth/UNH and Princeton/Penn to end the year, but then Bucknell is left in the cold and would have to end against St. Francis (PA) or Duquesne.

Back in the day Cornell/Penn was the big rivalry and Princeton/Dartmouth also has historic tradition. Talk to many of the old geezers on this board and you will find this is true..i.e. myself eating hamburger sandwiches at tailgates in the Palmer Stadium parking lot.

Regarding this year's PL Championship: "In our hearts we all know Colgate is the real PL Champion"...:)

kdinva
November 12th, 2017, 12:17 PM
LAFAYETTE 20 @ LEHIGH 31
COLGATE 34 @ GEORGETOWN 17
BUCKNELL 23 @ FORDHAM 21

DFW HOYA
November 12th, 2017, 12:40 PM
COLGATE 34 @ GEORGETOWN 17

Appreciate the optimism. Aside from two outliers (Princeton, Lehigh), Georgetown averages 7.8 ppg in its other eight games this season.

Hoyas have not scored more than 14 on the Red Raiders in any of the last four meetings.

cx500d
November 12th, 2017, 07:36 PM
LEHIGH
COLGATE
BUCKNELL

ngineer
November 12th, 2017, 07:46 PM

I believe the PL tries to set up their schedule a few years in advance, but by having the schools submit any existing contracts with OOC teams in order to work around if not clear the first five weeks of the season.

ngineer
November 12th, 2017, 07:54 PM
Back in the day Cornell/Penn was the big rivalry and Princeton/Dartmouth also has historic tradition. Talk to many of the old geezers on this board and you will find this is true..i.e. myself eating hamburger sandwiches at tailgates in the Palmer Stadium parking lot.

Regarding this year's PL Championship: "In our hearts we all know Colgate is the real PL Champion"...:)

That is true. Penn/Cornell was a huge rivalry when the Ivy was 'big time'. It carried over for a few decades, but then Cornell has just withered on the Ivy vine. Due to proximity, one would think Penn/Princeton is a 'natural' rivalry, but Princetonians look down on Penn.

Colgate Raider Redux
November 12th, 2017, 11:24 PM
Continued from week 11

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/SeamusLight/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Lehigh Football Nation http://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/SeamusLight/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?p=2565313#post2565313)
It is a real shame that, if Lehigh wins next weekend, Colgate will probably not get a serious look as an at-large playoff candidate. If Lehigh wins the championship, they'll have 1 loss to an FBS, 1 loss to Richmond (who gave JMU everything they could handle today), Furman (in the conversation for a playoff seed), and their worst loss of the season, to Lehigh.

Colgate will get zero credit for beating Cal Poly, who people now forget was ranked before the beginning of the season, because the Mustangs became a dumpster fire this year, and all their PL victories.

ASSUMING I'VE ACCURATELY INTERPRETED LFN's SENTENCES, I OFFER THE FOLLOWING:

I observed a couple of things this weekend that reduced my interest in a playoff game for 'gate this year: 1. In contrast to gate's other PL opponents this year, Laffy's defense presented some challenges for Breneman. This reminded me that he's only a frosh. ( Laffy's D is good and was disruptive to gate's O. It was 'gate's D that produced some points and a shutout to compensate for Breneman's troubles. ). Gate's ytd performance, within this year's weak league environment, doesn't portend great results right now against the stiffer competition one might expect in the playoffs. It was after all, baptism by fire when rookie Breneman was thrown into games with Richmond, @Buffalo, Furman and @Cornell. And he looked very much like a rookie. Brenneman didn't play against @Cal Poly. 2. On another note, I have observed that Lehigh's D does appear to be improving.
So, maybe destiny should be allowed to just play out this season ?

The entire 'gate team ( O, D, Special teams ) is coming back almost in tact next year ( some medical 5th years included ) . Led by a more experienced sophomore qb next year, this unusually young group might better improve their skills against tougher opponents via week-to-week methodical preparation for their 2018 O.O.C. competition: @Furman, @Wm & Mary, @New Hampshire, @Army West Point & Cornell. Given a choice, a on-off playoff game for this developing team doesn't seem that attractive. Colgate's tradition of scheduling a series of O.O.C. stretch games over a multi-week period early in the season is designed for performance enhancement through on-going coaching. It's a Plan. Not a random ( group of ) game(s). That becomes obvious when juxtaposed with the PL results later in the season.

It's difficult to assess what impact on confidence or growth might result now from being thrown in with a playoff game @Delaware, @New Hampshire, @etc. with just a week's preparation. Gate ( 7-4 ) would, at best, be a border-line playoff team this year. But, they have nothing more to prove this season; everyone will be back. I now have no qualms about giving Lehigh its just desserts as PL Champs. Nor am I looking for justice from the officiating gods. I'll just become a playoff spectator, with no dog in the fight, THIS YEAR.

carney2
November 13th, 2017, 09:53 AM
I started the discussion about scheduling, but it's time to get back to the moment. Some thoughts about Lafayette @ Lehigh this week:

Lafayette's defensive coordinator, Luke Thompson, should, and probably will, concentrate on limiting Bragalone's impact on the game. That will make things easier for Mayes' passing game. Mayes has not been as impressive as I thought he'd be, but his three top receivers make him a threat at all times. The Lafayette defense is good, but cannot cope with the consistent 3-and-outs presented to it by the offense. If that continues, this will be over early and often.

We all know that the Lehigh defense is virtually non-existent. So is the Lafayette offense. Which will prevail? Lafayette's problem, in its 8th consecutive year, is the offensive line. They're not going to suddenly get better, but are they good enough to move a few Lehigh pseudo-defenders? If yes, the offense could switch from horizontal (flat passes, screens and quick outs) to something more vertical (a semblance of a running game and a passing game that has time to look downfield). Lafayette's best receiver, Matt Mrazic, has been invisible all year. Make him a factor and things change. If the Lafayette offense can move the chains this could be interesting for a while.

A Lehigh victory will put them in the playoffs - probably against Stony Brook or Delaware. Either of those teams will hang at least 55 points on this hapless Squawk defense.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 13th, 2017, 10:10 AM
Delaware would be the best matchup for Lehigh competitively imo. The UD offense is not very good good. It's probably as good as 'Nova's when the Wildcats were healthy. I can see Lehigh's defense holding them to the mid to upper 30's. The Hen's defense would get after Mayes and force him into some terrible throws. I'd be perfectly happy with a Delaware-Lehigh game. I'd call it UD 37-24.

Stony Brook would be a brutal matchup. They'd run for 350+ yards and physically beat up on the Mountain Hawks. 52-27

I don't think it's any secret that Mayes is a bit of fantasy football monster. His stat lines are almost always impressive but if you watch him play his decision making and footwork are sketchy. The confident player that could make ALL the throws that existed when Mayes would fill has not consistently been on display as a starter. The ability to full game plan for him obviously contributes to some of that. His best game of the year was against Villanova. Like Shafnisky, Mayes will enter his senior season with things still to prove imo. I think Breneman deserves 1st team All-PL.

van
November 13th, 2017, 11:31 AM
Delaware would be the best matchup for Lehigh competitively imo. The UD offense is not very good good. It's probably as good as 'Nova's when the Wildcats were healthy. I can see Lehigh's defense holding them to the mid to upper 30's. The Hen's defense would get after Mayes and force him into some terrible throws. I'd be perfectly happy with a Delaware-Lehigh game. I'd call it UD 37-24.

Stony Brook would be a brutal matchup. They'd run for 350+ yards and physically beat up on the Mountain Hawks. 52-27

I don't think it's any secret that Mayes is a bit of fantasy football monster. His stat lines are almost always impressive but if you watch him play his decision making and footwork are sketchy. The confident player that could make ALL the throws that existed when Mayes would fill has not consistently been on display as a starter. The ability to full game plan for him obviously contributes to some of that. His best game of the year was against Villanova. Like Shafnisky, Mayes will enter his senior season with things still to prove imo. I think Breneman deserves 1st team All-PL.

Owl, take a look at the Gate Pard game, Breneman looked rather pedestrian against them, but I do agree with you comment about Mayes decision making

- - - Updated - - -

any word on Wadsworth? saw he was on crutches last week, big loss for Pards

Franks Tanks
November 13th, 2017, 11:52 AM
Owl, take a look at the Gate Pard game, Breneman looked rather pedestrian against them, but I do agree with you comment about Mayes decision making

- - - Updated - - -

any word on Wadsworth? saw he was on crutches last week, big loss for Pards

He didn't have a very good game against the Pards. Colgate managed 27 points mostly due to 3 Lafayette turnovers, and the fact that the Lafayette D was on the field all day.

Wadsworth will most likely be out. This doesn't seem possible but the Lafayette offense is getting worse by the week. Just getting to double digits this week will be a small miracle.

Kramden
November 13th, 2017, 11:53 AM
Continued from week 11

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/SeamusLight/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Lehigh Football Nation http://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/SeamusLight/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?p=2565313#post2565313)
It is a real shame that, if Lehigh wins next weekend, Colgate will probably not get a serious look as an at-large playoff candidate. If Lehigh wins the championship, they'll have 1 loss to an FBS, 1 loss to Richmond (who gave JMU everything they could handle today), Furman (in the conversation for a playoff seed), and their worst loss of the season, to Lehigh.

Colgate will get zero credit for beating Cal Poly, who people now forget was ranked before the beginning of the season, because the Mustangs became a dumpster fire this year, and all their PL victories.

ASSUMING I'VE ACCURATELY INTERPRETED LFN's SENTENCES, I OFFER THE FOLLOWING:

I observed a couple of things this weekend that reduced my interest in a playoff game for 'gate this year: 1. In contrast to gate's other PL opponents this year, Laffy's defense presented some challenges for Breneman. This reminded me that he's only a frosh. ( Laffy's D is good and was disruptive to gate's O. It was 'gate's D that produced some points and a shutout to compensate for Breneman's troubles. ). Gate's ytd performance, within this year's weak league environment, doesn't portend great results against stiffer competition right now. ( It was after all, baptism by fire when rookie Breneman was thrown into games with Richmond, @Buffalo, Furman and @Cornell. And he looked very much like a rookie. Brenneman didn't play against @Cal Poly. ) 2. On another note, I have observed that Lehigh's D does appear to be improving.
So, maybe destiny should be allowed to just play out this season ?

The entire 'gate team ( O, D, Special teams ) is coming back almost in tact next year ( some medical 5th years included ) . Led by a more experienced sophomore qb next year, this unusually young group might better improve their skills against tougher opponents via week-to-week methodical preparation for their 2018 O.O.C. competition: @Furman, @Wm & Mary, @New Hampshire, @Army West Point & Cornell. Given a choice, a playoff game for this developing team doesn't seem that attractive. Colgate's tradition of scheduling a series of O.O.C. stretch games over a multi-week period early in the season is designed for performance enhancement through on-going coaching. It's a Plan. Not a random ( group of ) game(s). That becomes obvious when juxtaposed with the PL results later in the season.

It's difficult to assess what impact on confidence or growth might result now from being thrown in with a playoff game @Delaware, @New Hampshire, @etc. with just a week's preparation. Gate ( 7-4 ) would, at best, be a border-line playoff team this year. But, they have nothing more to prove this season; everyone will be back. I now have no qualms about giving Lehigh its just desserts as PL Champs. Nor am I looking for justice from the officiating gods. I'll just become a playoff spectator, with no dog in the fight, THIS YEAR.

this post is very spot on.

Lafalumni29
November 13th, 2017, 12:35 PM
You fell hook line and sinker for Carney's post. He got you talking about the playoffs already!! Good job Carney!xdrunkyx

van
November 13th, 2017, 12:38 PM
You fell hook line and sinker for Carney's post. He got you talking about the playoffs already!! Good job Carney!xdrunkyx

Yeah, at 4-6, we are overconfident, LOL

TheValleyRaider
November 13th, 2017, 04:51 PM
And so it ends. First, my thanks to carney for putting this up every week, and putting up with this display every week as well.

3-0 last week, looking for another strong finish to the 2017 campaign. Overall at 35-18. Like the rest of the League, not one of my stronger seasons, but a good weekend here would make me feel better heading into 2018. Or the playoffs...

Lafayette at Lehigh Lehigh I don't really care to partake in the usual sturm und drang that characterizes much of these threads, though our overall record speaks for itself. It has not been a banner year by any stretch, and perhaps Lehigh is the champion we deserve, if not the champion we (or at least I) would want. There is an argument to be made that Lehigh is not the League's strongest team, and it would not be the first time that complaints have been made about a supposedly lesser champion, but the rules are what they are, and Lehigh (with a win here) would have done what needed doing for the crown. Oh, right, this game. Much as I would like to see the Leopards pull it out (and I am less confident in this pick than I normally would be), the better team almost always wins here. The Hawks are the better team.

Colgate at Georgetown Colgate I second some of the comments from this thread about the bright future of Raider football. The schedule turned out to be not quite as tough as anticipated, and while many eyes will be on the score from Bethlehem, business must be attended to in DC first. Have to win to make the other one matter. A second consecutive shutout is likely on the table for the Raider D, which gives them a bit more to play for than usual given the circumstances. I can't really talk up the Hoyas' chances much in this one, as they have looked toothless against Bucknell and Lafayette, who the 'Gate has handled in their most recent games.

Bucknell at Fordham Bucknell In a matchup with nothing in particular on the line, I'm inclined to go for the team with a little something on the line. A Bison win gives them a 6-5 season, their first winning record since 2014, and 4 such seasons in 8 years under Joe Susan. For a school that seems to care more about the rest of their athletics department, that would be a nice feather in the cap for the Lewisburg boys. On the other side, Fordham has a little soul-searching to do after plummeting this season. The Rams' ups and downs show how closely tied they are to their changing coaches. One risky note here: Fordham has won the last 4 matchups with the Bison, and 6 of the last 8. In that sense, it would be a mild upset to see Bucknell win.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 13th, 2017, 04:58 PM
Valley,

Colgate still earns their 9th PL Championship with a win over Georgetown. I personally believe that a sub .500 team should not be eligible for the playoffs but that's not my decision to make. Either Colgate should go or the league should forfeit their bid and be told to do better next year.

Colgate has had a better year but top to bottom I'm not sure they're really any better than Lehigh. I think both teams would fair about the same in the playoffs. Competitive with the right matchup, blow out loss against the wrong one. Slim to no chance to win....

Lehigh Football Nation
November 13th, 2017, 05:17 PM
It is insane to think that an FCS playoff game wouldn't be a positive experience for either Lehigh or Colgate should they go. Isn't the whole point of the playoffs to figure out how you stand against the best and to put the best foot forward for your team and your school? It doesn't always work out that way, but I'd much rather have the team have that opportunity if it's available.

Having said that Lehigh has the capability of losing this week to Lafayette and making them look like all-stars. I know this because I saw this team play at Wagner and if that team takes the field this Saturday, Colgate will be practicing on Thanksgiving.

TheValleyRaider
November 13th, 2017, 05:17 PM
Valley,

Colgate still earns their 9th PL Championship with a win over Georgetown. I personally believe that a sub .500 team should not be eligible for the playoffs but that's not my decision to make. Either Colgate should go or the league should forfeit their bid and be told to do better next year.

Colgate has had a better year but top to bottom I'm not sure they're really any better than Lehigh. I think both teams would fair about the same in the playoffs. Competitive with the right matchup, blow out loss against the wrong one. Slim to no chance to win....

Arguably, I would say if they had a better year, they are the better team, though it is a little more complicated than that. I suspect the Raiders are a little better, but they lost the one that made a difference.

Yes, it would certainly be a co-championship if the Raiders eke one out against Georgetown. Worth celebration, certainly, but given what is on the line with the playoff birth, it's hard not to be frustrated at coming up short in that regard.

While I understand the belief behind a "no-losing-record" rule, I think a conference should keep the autobid regardless of record, and I am even less supportive of the League picking a champion like that. It certainly does not reflect well on us that a team with a losing record would get in, but the rules for winning are pretty straightforward. Should they win, Lehigh will have done that, and deservedly so. I don't see any reason to change the rules because they happened to be poor OOC. If they really weren't that good, someone else in the League should have beaten them.

More than a few folks here have complained about "lesser" Colgate teams winning past titles in past years, so I reserve the right to pretend to whine (if only a little) ;)

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 13th, 2017, 05:26 PM
It is insane to think that an FCS playoff game wouldn't be a positive experience for either Lehigh or Colgate should they go. Isn't the whole point of the playoffs to figure out how you stand against the best and to put the best foot forward for your team and your school? It doesn't always work out that way, but I'd much rather have the team have that opportunity if it's available.

Having said that Lehigh has the capability of losing this week to Lafayette and making them look like all-stars. I know this because I saw this team play at Wagner and if that team takes the field this Saturday, Colgate will be practicing on Thanksgiving.

Depends on what you consider a positive experience. I personally don't think the Lehigh players, coaching staff or fans are interested in another embarrassing playoff performance. Last year's game was a complete nightmare and given how this year's season has gone that taste hasn't really been erased. Plus, the PL is horrible this season so that makes sending a 5-6 team that much more embarrassing. The further ridicule the league will receive on a national level, and justifiably, will certainly not be positive. As will the growing perception the league's addition of scholarships has done nothing to improve the on-field product. Which, to this point is true. Otherwise, I'm not interested in the playoff participation trophy anymore. Lehigh should be able to send a much better product into the playoffs than this team. Every Mountain Hawk team that has made the playoffs to this point has won at least 9 games.

I like the IL model in basketball. There ultimately should be a premium on regular season success.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 13th, 2017, 05:42 PM
Depends on what you consider a positive experience. I personally don't think the Lehigh players, coaching staff or fans are interested in another embarrassing playoff performance. Last year's game was a complete nightmare and given how this year season has gone that taste hasn't really been erased. Plus, the PL is horrible this season so that makes sending a 5-6 team that much more embarrassing. The further ridicule the league will receive on a national level, and justifiably, will certainly not be positive. As will the growing perception the league's addition of scholarships has done nothing to improve the on-field product. Which, to this point is true. Otherwise, I'm not interested in the playoff participation trophy anymore. Lehigh should be able to send a much better product into the playoffs than this team. Every Mountain Hawk team that has made the playoffs to this point has won at least 9 games.

I like the IL model in basketball. There ultimately should be a premium on regular season success.

I'm looking for a win against the pussycats this weekend, and if that happens, I'm looking for a game with house money against some FCS playoff team. It is not a foregone conclusion that the playoff performance would be something embarrassing.

Overall I am very much against embarrassing football performances by Lehigh football teams in any context

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 13th, 2017, 05:56 PM
I'm looking for a win against the pussycats this weekend, and if that happens, I'm looking for a game with house money against some FCS playoff team. It is not a foregone conclusion that the playoff performance would be something embarrassing.

Overall I am very much against embarrassing football performances by Lehigh football teams in any context

I'm with you that on beating Lafayette! This team isn't good enough to take anything for granted! I mentioned in another post that I don't think Lehigh would get blown out by every opponent either. It's all about matchups. But the possibility of another UNH mess certainly exists.

Colgate Raider Redux
November 13th, 2017, 06:08 PM
Isn't the whole point of the playoffs to figure out how you stand against the best and to put the best foot forward for your team and your school?
Respectfully, I believe Colgate has the luxury this year of taking a longer term view of putting "the best foot forward."

DFW HOYA
November 13th, 2017, 07:29 PM
Colgate at Georgetown Colgate I second some of the comments from this thread about the bright future of Raider football. The schedule turned out to be not quite as tough as anticipated, and while many eyes will be on the score from Bethlehem, business must be attended to in DC first. Have to win to make the other one matter. A second consecutive shutout is likely on the table for the Raider D, which gives them a bit more to play for than usual given the circumstances. I can't really talk up the Hoyas' chances much in this one, as they have looked toothless against Bucknell and Lafayette, who the 'Gate has handled in their most recent games.

Last week was the first time since 1976 the Hoyas have been shut out in consecutive games. The last time it happened in three consecutive weeks? 1932, or the year Colgate went undefeated, and unscored upon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1932_Colgate_Red_Raiders_football_team

TheValleyRaider
November 13th, 2017, 07:36 PM
Last week was the first time since 1976 the Hoyas have been shut out in consecutive games. The last time it happened in three consecutive weeks? 1932, or the year Colgate went undefeated, and unscored upon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1932_Colgate_Red_Raiders_football_team

But not against Georgetown, so that's something new, right?

TheValleyRaider
November 13th, 2017, 07:42 PM
Lehigh vs. Lafayette
Colgate vs. Cornell
Fordham vs. Columbia
Bucknell vs. Penn
Brown vs. URI

I actually like the Cornell game being in October like it usually is. Not every rivalry game needs to be a season-ender. If we are thinking about end of season rivals, though, maybe we take Brown? Bring back the old Baptist season-ending rivalry, perhaps?

If it were to be a conference matchup, I guess I'd prefer Holy Cross or Bucknell. But yeah, I am broadly in agreement that the League should encourage additional final weekend matchups like this one.

Thinking out loud here, it does seem like FCS has inter-conference rivalry games early in the season (thinking the RI/NYC examples up here), contra FBS who keeps its rivalry games at the end. Or maybe it's just the ACC-SEC ones (Florida, South Carolina, Georgia).

Go...gate
November 13th, 2017, 07:48 PM
Valley,

I was uncertain about this, but looking back, Colgate and Fordham were officially deemed PL co-champions in '02, with the Rams earning the playoff bid by virtue of beating the Red Raiders. It would be nice to see Colgate earn a share of the league title and we will pull for the Engineers in the tournament. And let's face it - if Lehigh gets hot and scores a lot of points in their playoff game (which they can certainly do) anything can happen.

TheValleyRaider
November 13th, 2017, 09:01 PM
I was uncertain about this, but looking back, Colgate and Fordham were officially deemed PL co-champions in '02, with the Rams earning the playoff bid by virtue of beating the Red Raiders. It would be nice to see the Red Raiders earn a share of the league title and we will pull for the Engineers in the tournament. And let's face it - if Lehigh gets hot and scores a lot of points in their playoff game (which they can certainly do) anything can happen. Strange things can happen in the Tournament.

Given what came the following year, I would sign up for a repeat in '17-'18 xnodx

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 14th, 2017, 08:13 AM
I was uncertain about this, but looking back, Colgate and Fordham were officially deemed PL co-champions in '02, with the Rams earning the playoff bid by virtue of beating the Red Raiders. It would be nice to see the Red Raiders earn a share of the league title and we will pull for the Engineers in the tournament. And let's face it - if Lehigh gets hot and scores a lot of points in their playoff game (which they can certainly do) anything can happen. Strange things can happen in the Tournament.

Lehigh has 3 Co-Championships under their belt.

1999 - Lehigh (10-1, 5-1), Colgate (10-1, 5-1)
2004 - Lehigh (9-2, 5-1), Lafayette (8-3, 5-1)
2006 - Lehigh (6-5, 5-1), Lafayette (6-5, 5-1)

van
November 14th, 2017, 08:20 AM
LAFAYETTE @ LEHIGH, at home with championship on the line, expect Pards D to give us fits but since Ross graduated I don't see Pards scoring enough to pull it out, on to Newark

COLGATE @ GEORGETOWN, gonna be ugly in DC

BUCKNELL @ FORDHAM, might be a close game as buffs D is solid

31-22 on the year

RichH2
November 14th, 2017, 12:26 PM
We may not be relevant this year but I'll be damned if we slip to page 2. :)

DFW HOYA
November 14th, 2017, 12:52 PM
COLGATE @ GEORGETOWN, gonna be ugly in DC

Maybe the biggest reason why Georgetown is staring at a 10 game losing streak: "25:31".

That's the average time of possession this year, dead last in I-AA. Put another way, the Georgetown defense is on the field, on average, almost ten minutes more than the offense every game. That's an extra two, three or four possessions per game. Take that times 11 games, and that's a discrepancy of nearly two hours over the course of a season, not to mention the wear and tear on talent.

Georgetown is missing four key defensive starters from the opener of the season and the Hoyas are 119th of 123 teams on the ground. That's what awaits the Red Raiders Saturday.

ngineer
November 14th, 2017, 11:02 PM
Maybe the biggest reason why Georgetown is staring at a 10 game losing streak: "25:31".

That's the average time of possession this year, dead last in I-AA. Put another way, the Georgetown defense is on the field, on average, almost ten minutes more than the offense every game. That's an extra two, three or four possessions per game. Take that times 11 games, and that's a discrepancy of nearly two hours over the course of a season, not to mention the wear and tear on talent.

Georgetown is missing four key defensive starters from the opener of the season and the Hoyas are 119th of 123 teams on the ground. That's what awaits the Red Raiders Saturday.

I just realized the "Hamiltons" could call themselves the "Red C's".....xsmiley_wix

ColgateTD
November 15th, 2017, 11:43 AM
Colgate over G'town - the Raiders continue their march to a co-PL Championship but in a bittersweet way.
Bucknell over the Rams - Bucky rises from the ashes to give us a preview of the juggernaut they will be next season.
Lafayette over Lehigh - Upset special: in this rivalry throw records out the window,; anything can happen, and will.

Bonus Pick:
Salisbury over Avon Old Farms

Gangtackle11
November 15th, 2017, 11:44 AM
Lafayette - just because
Colgate
Fordham

Ivytalk
November 16th, 2017, 05:05 AM
Lehigh
Colgate
Bucknell

ColgateTD
November 16th, 2017, 09:52 AM
There is talk of bad weather in PA. How will this affect the LU and LC games?

Bump

LehighU11
November 16th, 2017, 10:11 AM
There is talk of bad weather in PA. How will this affect the LU and LC games?

Bump
The forecast has improved, with just a touch of late afternoon rain on Saturday according to Accuweather. As bad as LC's passing game is, their run game is worse. Even with our shaky D, I'd expect a wet game to be of no more harm to Lehigh than to Lafayette.

The improved forecast has also allowed for SRO tickets to be released. This is just the 3rd or 4th time in the past 6 games at Goodman for L-L that this has happened, even when dry conditions were expected and average attendance was higher.

Roll 'gate
November 17th, 2017, 05:23 AM
Wet ... Dry ... It won't matter the weather. I get the whole rivalry piece of the puzzle that anyone can win the L-L ... BUT the best running back in the league going up against arguably the second worst defense in the league. Short of a true collapse at Goodman the brown birds should be cruising to a comfortable victory.

Lafalumni29
November 17th, 2017, 06:26 AM
Wet ... Dry ... It won't matter the weather. I get the whole rivalry piece of the puzzle that anyone can win the L-L ... BUT the best running back in the league going up against arguably the second worst defense in the league. Short of a true collapse at Goodman the brown birds should be cruising to a comfortable victory.
Dude...seriously? Did you say that with a straight face? The ONLY reason we’re not number one in PL defense is because the O leaves them on the field too long. ��*♂️

LehighU11
November 17th, 2017, 07:00 AM
Dude...seriously? Did you say that with a straight face? The ONLY reason we’re not number one in PL defense is because the O leaves them on the field too long. ��*♂️
Really. Lafayette arguably has the best defense in the league, and is certainly in the top 2. Bucknell is the only other team in the conversation.

The Pards have allowed just 4 TDs in 5 PL games! Meanwhile, their offense has thrown 3 pick-sixes in PL action. The Nova game looks bad, but when the offense loses yards on every other drive and leaves the field in a matter of seconds, that gives the D no chance.

Pards Rule
November 17th, 2017, 08:41 AM
Really. Lafayette arguably has the best defense in the league, and is certainly in the top 2. Bucknell is the only other team in the conversation.

The Pards have allowed just 4 TDs in 5 PL games! Meanwhile, their offense has thrown 3 pick-sixes in PL action. The Nova game looks bad, but when the offense loses yards on every other drive and leaves the field in a matter of seconds, that gives the D no chance.

Spot on 11...Damn if we can just get an offense going a final day. Maybe surprise start for another QB?

Franks Tanks
November 17th, 2017, 08:42 AM
The Lafayette D has been outstanding in league games. We held Colgate to 260 yards of total offense last week, and Brenneman was something like 5-14 for 92 yards and 2 picks. However, 3 ints of our own put Gate in great field position on several occasions.

We just cant move the ball. I expect our D to play stout for a portion of the game, but we will not score enough. I think it will be a quality game, but final will be something like 31-14 Lehigh, with the game being very close until the 4th. I predict a late int or two that gives Lehigh some easy scores toward the end of the game.

Lafalumni29
November 17th, 2017, 09:46 AM
Spot on 11...Damn if we can just get an offense going a final day. Maybe surprise start for another QB?

Garrett is new, but we know he sticks to his decisions like a stubborn mule. Maybe you have some inside info? xsmiley_wix I would LOVE to see one of the other Frosh get a shot. I just don't think this game is the time. It blows my mind the 6'5' Ohio kid (with FBS offers btw) that can run hasn't gotten a snap!!!

Our D should give them fits and they will score. However, the key to this game is our O. Do we finally finish drives? Does Garrett try to stretch the field instead of dink and dunk?

Franks Tanks
November 17th, 2017, 10:27 AM
Garrett is new, but we know he sticks to his decisions like a stubborn mule. Maybe you have some inside info? xsmiley_wix I would LOVE to see one of the other Frosh get a shot. I just don't think this game is the time. It blows my mind the 6'5' Ohio kid (with FBS offers btw) that can run hasn't gotten a snap!!!

Our D should give them fits and they will score. However, the key to this game is our O. Do we finally finish drives? Does Garrett try to stretch the field instead of dink and dunk?

I understand where you guys are coming from, but starting positions are earned in practice (mostly spring and fall camp) and Coach Garrett said that O' Malley distinguished himself from the moment practice started. I agree that I thought the kid from Ohio would be his guy, but he appears buried in the depth chart. I believe Northrup is 2nd, and some combination of Davis, Mussina and McCrum after that. To my knowledge no other QB played a snap this year, and don't think that will change barring injury. Its most concerning that Sean seems to be regressing, however it may be due to the fact that opposing defenses know we cant run the ball at all and they are blitzing is to death, which is very hard on a young QB. The Lehigh D is quote vulnerable to the run, but even considering this I don' think we get anywhere near 100 yards as a team (which hasn't happened all year).

Lehigh'98
November 17th, 2017, 10:34 AM
Can't wait to watch the battle for the worst unit in PL. Lafayette O vs. Lehigh D. I'm going to pull all my hair out if we hold Lafayette to under 21 and people start saying how much the D has improved over the last part of the season.

Franks Tanks
November 17th, 2017, 10:54 AM
Can't wait to watch the battle for the worst unit in PL. Lafayette O vs. Lehigh D. I'm going to pull all my hair out if we hold Lafayette to under 21 and people start saying how much the D has improved over the last part of the season.

Lafayette is dead last in the county in total offense at 217 yards per game (Bucknell and Georgetown are also in the bottom 11). We are next to last in rushing offense at 24 yards per game (Miss Valley State somehow has -11 per game). We have 240 yards rushing all year! Ross Scheurman, Erik Marsh and Tom Costello have had more yards in single games against Lehigh! Lehigh is 3rd from the bottom in total defense. It's remarkable really, but I think the Lafayette O takes the cake here. Scoring 21 points tomorrow will be a minor miracle.

Pards Rule
November 17th, 2017, 11:09 AM

No inside info but if OMalley is struggling give another QB a start... Might be a Drew Reed scenario for a day!

Go...gate
November 17th, 2017, 11:26 AM
Lafayette vs. Lehigh, like Army - Navy and Harvard - Yale, is a one game season. I'm picking Lehigh, but if the Lafayette kids are charged up and play well, this could be a hell of a football game.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 17th, 2017, 11:50 AM
Wedge's Week 12 take

http://thefcswedge.com/a-look-at-what-is-happening-around-the-country/patriot-league-week-12-preview-2/

Lafalumni29
November 17th, 2017, 12:32 PM
No inside info but if OMalley is struggling give another QB a start... Might be a Drew Reed scenario for a day!

Yes!! Let's hope for the best!

We're missing some key players. Wadsworth is still in a full leg brace. Guidice ('cuse transfer) out. Mitchell (starting corner) was out last week. I don't know the status of Mitchell this week.

DFW HOYA
November 17th, 2017, 12:37 PM
Wedge's Week 12 take

http://thefcswedge.com/a-look-at-what-is-happening-around-the-country/patriot-league-week-12-preview-2/

"On paper the only way Colgate loses this game is if they literally don’t show up."

Go...gate
November 17th, 2017, 01:19 PM
"The once proud Georgetown football program is struggling and there’s very little reason for optimism without more of a commitment from the administration."

How I wish GU would step up, even in some modest fashion.

RichH2
November 17th, 2017, 02:32 PM
Lehigh not gonna be easy
Gate
Fordham
Lehigh D again is crucial. No cheap TDs. O will wear down Pard D eventually but D has to limit Pards offense.

Go...gate
November 17th, 2017, 10:51 PM
Lehigh 33, Lafayette 28

Colgate 23, Georgetown 7

Fordham 20, Bucknell 14

Bonus Pick:

Dartmouth 28, Princeton 14

Leopard Loyalist
November 17th, 2017, 11:21 PM
A difficult season, 35-18 overall. But I think others have worse records, so I am going to throw caution to the winds and make a pick on #153 that seems guaranteed to lower my season percentage overall. But what the heck.
LAFAYETTE @ LEHIGH (Number 153) An unmoving force meets a movable object. Or something like that.
COLGATE @ GEORGETOWN Has there been an easier pick all year??
BUCKNELL @ FORDHAM Coin toss with the edge to the team that might want a winning season

Neighbor2
November 18th, 2017, 03:55 AM
Colgate over Georgetown
Fordham over Bucknell

Lehigh over Lafayette by 17 points. Unless . . . . . Lafayette puts too much pressure on Mayes and the Lehigh QB becomes so rattled he passes out a few gifts. Even then, Lehigh wins a nail-biter.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 18th, 2017, 10:23 AM
Before it's too late. I'm going to add up my yearly total after the games today

Lehigh
Fordham
Colgate

DFW HOYA
November 18th, 2017, 12:12 PM
No shutout for Georgetown today.

Colgate 0
Georgetown 10
8:49 1st

TheValleyRaider
November 18th, 2017, 12:43 PM
Colgate 7
Georgetown 10
End 1st

First play from scrimmage was a pick-6 for the Hoyas. They got a FG off a short field on the next drive. Raiders held the ball for basically the rest of the 1st quarter, picking up a TD from Holland. Sluggish start for the Raiders, but credit to Georgetown's defense, which has flown around quite a bit.

DFW HOYA
November 18th, 2017, 01:13 PM
Georgetown back to its old ways. Couldn't get a play in...in a two minute drill.

TheValleyRaider
November 18th, 2017, 01:18 PM
Colgate 21
Georgetown 10
Halftime

Raiders more in control now. A pair of toe-tapping TDs from Ives have Colgate in front. Score is favorable in Bethlehem, all in front of Colgate right now

TheValleyRaider
November 18th, 2017, 01:26 PM
Also, because someone cares, I'm sure...

Bucknell 3
Fordham 7
Late 3rd

DFW HOYA
November 18th, 2017, 01:30 PM
Colgate 21
Raiders more in control now. A pair of toe-tapping TDs from Ives have Colgate in front. Score is favorable in Bethlehem, all in front of Colgate right now

A rare admission from the Stadium announcers that the Georgetown offensive play calling is awful.

DFW HOYA
November 18th, 2017, 01:38 PM
Georgetown's opening possession: 3rd and 10, so go for a four yard pass.

Gate83
November 18th, 2017, 02:05 PM
Turn out the lights in DC, 35-10 end of the 3rd. Ives with another Sportscenter catch for the last TD

TheValleyRaider
November 18th, 2017, 02:07 PM
Colgate 35
Georgetown 10
End 3rd

Yeah, not much more to say about this one. Raiders in control, League title just 15 minutes away

Meanwhile getting tight at Goodman...

DFW HOYA
November 18th, 2017, 02:21 PM
Turn out the lights in DC, 35-10 end of the 3rd. Ives with another Sportscenter catch for the last TD
The lights were out in week three!

TheValleyRaider
November 18th, 2017, 02:35 PM
Colgate 35
Georgetown 10
Final

Patriot League Champions :)

DFW HOYA
November 18th, 2017, 02:38 PM
Georgetown's 16:14 time of possession may be the lowest ever recorded for this team. Amazing.

Total yards: 414-140.

ColgateTD
November 18th, 2017, 02:41 PM
Good luck to the Hoyas going forward. They showed some moxie today at the end of the game going all out even when the game was out of reach. Better days lie ahead.

As for 'Gate - congrats on the co-championship (at least)

PeacockRaider
November 18th, 2017, 02:42 PM
A Shame the best team in the league is not going to the playoffs

TheValleyRaider
November 18th, 2017, 02:42 PM
Also final:
Bucknell 9
Fordham 20

DFW HOYA
November 18th, 2017, 02:44 PM
Good luck to the Hoyas going forward. They showed some moxie today at the end of the game going all out even when the game was out of reach. Better days lie ahead.

When?

van
November 18th, 2017, 02:46 PM

have some crackers with that whine

PeacockRaider
November 18th, 2017, 02:47 PM
I feel bad for Georgetown because their administration doesn't give them a chance, which is odd because they pushed the move out of the MAAC. If they put resources into the team they could be a perennial patriot league power. As it stands I am surprised they don't look in the Pioneer league.

Gate83

True. But since we can't rewrite the past, in what looked at the start to be a rebuilding year... I'll take a co-championship, almost the whole team coming back next year, and a QB that looks like he has a chance to be one of our best over the next 3 years. Lots to look forward to in the Chenango valley!

PeacockRaider
have some crackers with that whine
Hah go watch the game tape

DFW HOYA
November 18th, 2017, 02:48 PM
I feel bad for Georgetown because their administration doesn't give them a chance, which is odd because they pushed the move out of the MAAC. If they put resources into the team they could be a perennial patriot league power. As it stands I am surprised they don't look in the Pioneer league.

Maybe they should look at the Big South. The conference seems to be open to new entrants.

And we've got a whole off season to discuss it, but I reject the argument that "resources" are holding back this team.

aceinthehole
November 18th, 2017, 02:51 PM

I agree, but 'Gate should be the preseason favorites to win the Patriot next year.

PeacockRaider
November 18th, 2017, 02:54 PM
Ace, congrats on the NEC title!

LU808
November 18th, 2017, 02:54 PM
You are what your record says you are.....

Lafalumni29
November 18th, 2017, 02:58 PM

Ha! True words because we suck and should’ve won!! Garrett went conservative in the 2nd half!

Sader87
November 18th, 2017, 02:59 PM
It's ovah....now kill any remnants of this PL season with fire.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 18th, 2017, 03:04 PM

Colgate over the long haul is marginally better because they limit their mistakes but at the end of the day both teams aren't capable of notching a meaningful win on the national level. The whole league desperately needs to improve...

PeacockRaider
November 18th, 2017, 03:09 PM
Colgate over the long haul is marginally better because they limit their mistakes but at the end of the day both teams aren't capable of notching a meaningful win on the national level. The whole league desperately needs to improve...

I disagree. Compare ooc games and results. If Colgate would have legit lost to Lehigh that's the way it goes, but the ridiculousness that the game was officiated makes me feel the team was slighted.

DFW HOYA
November 18th, 2017, 03:12 PM
The whole league desperately needs to improve...

Never mind the major rebuilding ahead at Fordham and Holy Cross, Bucknell ever stuck in the middle, and Georgetown already in range of 0-11 next year. If Lehigh wins, all is good in Center Valley. This league is not going to significantly improve in 2018.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 18th, 2017, 03:13 PM
I disagree. Compare ooc games and results. If Colgate would have legit lost to Lehigh that's the way it goes, but the ridiculousness that the game was officiated makes me feel the team was slighted.

What about the OOC play? Colgate played poorly and Lehigh played worse. I would be shocked be Colgate would have done better than 1-4 with Lehigh's OOC schedule. Colgate beat hapless Cal Poly and Cornell. Two teams that are a combined 4-15.

Both teams need to get better......

PeacockRaider
November 18th, 2017, 03:15 PM
Disappointing years for Holy Cross and Fordham for sure. I thought they would have been much better this year.

PeacockRaider
November 18th, 2017, 03:20 PM
What about the OOC play? Colgate played poorly and Lehigh played worse. I would be shocked be Colgate would have done better than 1-4 with Lehigh's OOC schedule. Colgate beat hapless Cal Poly and Cornell. Two teams that are a combined 4-15.

Both teams need to get better......

2-3 with losses to Buffalo, Richmond, & Furman is much better than 0-5 with losses to the Ivy league and Wagner

I do suspect both teams will be better next year.

RichH2
November 18th, 2017, 03:24 PM
2-3 with losses to Buffalo, Richmond, & Furman is much better than 0-5 with losses to the Ivy league and Wagner

Geez sure hope so. Hell, the entire PL needs to improve.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 18th, 2017, 03:25 PM

You got run off the field by Furman and Buffalo in the first half. Richmond and 'Nova equal. Yale is 9-1 and IL Champs. Monmouth is currently 9-1 and in the Top 25. I'm not following.

I don't think Lehigh will much better without overhauling the coaching staff. Colgate might be better but I'll be interested to see what their final record is. They traditionally struggle in the OOC.

PeacockRaider
November 18th, 2017, 03:37 PM
You got run off the field by Furman and Buffalo in the first half. Richmond and 'Nova equal. Yale is 9-1 and IL Champs. Monmouth is currently 9-1 and in the Top 25. I'm not following.

I don't think Lehigh will much better without overhauling the coaching staff. Colgate might be better but I'll be interested to see what their final record is. They traditionally struggle in the OOC.
You've conveniently left out 17 pt loses to Wagner and UPenn and Monmouth is currently getting waxed. Lehigh doesn't have a defense and thus doesn't have a shot in the playoffs, I think Colgate would fair much better. Also Afriiye missed the entire ooc games other than Cal Poly.

Go...gate
November 18th, 2017, 09:43 PM

No true post-mortems are appropriate right now. The playoffs are ahead. I am pulling for the Engineers.

CHIP72
November 18th, 2017, 10:01 PM
You've conveniently left out 17 pt loses to Wagner and UPenn and Monmouth is currently getting waxed. Lehigh doesn't have a defense and thus doesn't have a shot in the playoffs, I think Colgate would fair much better. Also Afriiye missed the entire ooc games other than Cal Poly.

Penn had a reasonably good team this year and was only a small number of plays from potentially winning the Ivy League.

I do agree Lehigh's loss to Wagner is both inexplicable and indefensible.

Go...gate
November 18th, 2017, 10:45 PM

With the exception of the years when David Roach was AD, we have always played a strong schedule going back to the founding of the program. That will not change, nor will Colgate's efforts to play stretch games.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 18th, 2017, 10:55 PM
With the exception of the years when David Roach was AD, we have always played a strong schedule going back to the founding of the program. That will not change, nor will Colgate's efforts to play stretch games.

I know! You say that over and over! But you have to win these games. Colgate loses these games far, far more often then they win. I don't see what basically amounts to scheduling losses (to this point) is commendable. What's commendable and will get you respect is winning them. No one is going to respect Colgate for scheduling games you can't win! It's the definition of insanity!

Go...gate
November 18th, 2017, 10:59 PM
I know! You say that over and over! But you have to win these games. Colgate loses these games far, far more often then they win. I don't see what basically amounts to scheduling losses (to this point) is commendable. What's commendable and will get you respect is winning them. No one is going to respect Colgate for scheduling games you can't win! It's the definition of insanity!

Let's agree to disagree on this. I sincerely wish the Engineers success in the playoffs!