PDA

View Full Version : Delaware Stadium Upgrade Plans

93henfan
November 9th, 2017, 01:35 PM
Not as dazzling as I had hoped, but a step in the right direction. The Athletic Performance Center is the centerpiece. Adjoining it will be a two-tiered luxury/press structure over the home (west) stands with a very nice new Stadium Club. Additional phases will add capacity to the north end zone and a larger video board centered over the NEZ stands.

http://delawarefirst.udel.edu/priorities/athletics-facilities/

http://delawarefirst.udel.edu/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Stadium_1040x505.jpg
http://delawarefirst.udel.edu/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/AthleticsPriority_Carousel_IMG6.jpg
http://delawarefirst.udel.edu/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/AthleticsPriority_Carousel_IMG4.jpg
http://delawarefirst.udel.edu/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Athletic-Center-pic-1.jpg

93henfan
November 9th, 2017, 01:39 PM
And the news you were all really waiting for....

THIS MIGHT BE END OF THE PISS WALL!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Delaware Stadium Renovations
Phase 1 will focus on the west side of the stadium and will include:

Chair backs added to the three middle sections
New Stadium Club space with bar, food and access to exclusive Club seating
Enhanced press box, including a game day production studio and coaches' booths
Upgraded restrooms and concessions to improve the fan experience

Pinnum
November 9th, 2017, 01:40 PM
Renderings are typically used for marketing and show the best case scenario and all the things they would like to have with the actual product often being a pared down version. This may be the first rending for a stadium, that I have seen, where the rendering has empty seats in the stands...

ASU33
November 9th, 2017, 01:40 PM
Nice!xthumbsupx

TheKingpin28
November 9th, 2017, 02:06 PM
Will this be done by 2019? Just asking for a friend. :D

ursus arctos horribilis
November 9th, 2017, 02:11 PM
So after seeing several of these over the last decade plus do you think this one will really happen?

UNHWildcat18
November 9th, 2017, 02:22 PM
That’s awesome! The more CAA upgrades the better! Just don’t leave for the MAC when you are done xthumbsupx

93henfan
November 9th, 2017, 02:30 PM
So after seeing several of these over the last decade plus do you think this one will really happen?

Yes, I do, but here's a primer:

For UD, there was only one false start on this. I believe it was around 2007 or so, but I could be mistaken on the exact year. Watercolor renderings were released of much grander plans than these that never came to fruition. This included a much larger press/luxury suite structure, an APC in the NW corner of the stadium, and a horseshoeing of the north end zone. 30k estimated seating. In addition, there was a planned promenade connecting the South Campus (where the Stadium resides) with the main campus.

About the same time, the University instituted the UDAF and forced mandatory seat donations on season ticket holders, while delivering nothing. The administration also started ruining the gameday experience. Busting students hard for drinking in lots. Banning kegs for anyone. Not letting fans go back to the parking lot at halftime and reentering for 2nd half (that was the way we rolled). Forcing people out of the lots quickly after games. Not letting Trumpet Man play his trumpet. Letting the CSC Security contractor rough up fans, including senior citizens.

Then along comes 2008, the economy tanks, and blue collar northern Delaware suffers an unprecedented waive of economic despair: GM Wilmington plant closes for good; Chrysler Newark plant closes for good; all the auto part suppliers to the plants closed; DuPont was reeling and eventually merged with Dow; MBNA bank folded (you had to live in Delaware to know how much they dominated the Newark and Wilmington areas and employed tens of thousands), and on and on.

Then came 2011 and Delaware football started sucking for six years straight. A national championship winning coach was shown the door by a President (Harker) who didn't really give two terds about UD football. We went through two clueless ADs. Times were bad.

Along comes 2015. HOPE! Harker was finally moved out. Assanis is in! He values sports. He likes football. He hires an AD who has balls even though she is a woman. She fires coaches who need to be fired. Mr. Energy himself, coach Dave Brock, is shown the door midseason! WOOT!

People are really rallying behing the new Prez and AD. They want UD football back. They are making things happen.

So yes, this will get done.

93henfan
November 9th, 2017, 02:39 PM
Will this be done by 2019? Just asking for a friend. :D

You all will be sitting on the other side, in the sun. In early September. Don't melt! :D

LuckyKat
November 9th, 2017, 02:42 PM
good stuff

Dukie95
November 9th, 2017, 02:50 PM
Not sure about those ghosts. I get that you can save money by going with the haunted option, but....

TheKingpin28
November 9th, 2017, 03:04 PM
You all will be sitting on the other side, in the sun. In early September. Don't melt! :D

As long as I can drink beer and watch the Bison win, then it is all good over here.

caribbeanhen
November 9th, 2017, 03:53 PM
Can they Photoshop a quarterback down on the field

PAllen
November 9th, 2017, 03:57 PM
But where are you going to put the trailer?

93henfan
November 9th, 2017, 04:02 PM
Can they Photoshop a quarterback down on the field

Don’t forget the O-line!

RootinFerDukes
November 9th, 2017, 04:22 PM
May you all never win another game for touching that national pissing monument. You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 9th, 2017, 04:31 PM
Yes, I do, but here's a primer:

For UD, there was only one false start on this. I believe it was around 2007 or so, but I could be mistaken on the exact year. Watercolor renderings were released of much grander plans than these that never came to fruition. This included a much larger press/luxury suite structure, an APC in the NW corner of the stadium, and a horseshoeing of the north end zone. 30k estimated seating. In addition, there was a planned promenade connecting the South Campus (where the Stadium resides) with the main campus.

About the same time, the University instituted the UDAF and forced mandatory seat donations on season ticket holders, while delivering nothing. The administration also started ruining the gameday experience. Busting students hard for drinking in lots. Banning kegs for anyone. Not letting fans go back to the parking lot at halftime and reentering for 2nd half (that was the way we rolled). Forcing people out of the lots quickly after games. Not letting Trumpet Man play his trumpet. Letting the CSC Security contractor rough up fans, including senior citizens.

Then along comes 2008, the economy tanks, and blue collar northern Delaware suffers an unprecedented waive of economic despair: GM Wilmington plant closes for good; Chrysler Newark plant closes for good; all the auto part suppliers to the plants closed; DuPont was reeling and eventually merged with Dow; MBNA bank folded (you had to live in Delaware to know how much they dominated the Newark and Wilmington areas and employed tens of thousands), and on and on.

Then came 2011 and Delaware football started sucking for six years straight. A national championship winning coach was shown the door by a President (Harker) who didn't really give two terds about UD football. We went through two clueless ADs. Times were bad.

Along comes 2015. HOPE! Harker was finally moved out. Assanis is in! He values sports. He likes football. He hires an AD who has balls even though she is a woman. She fires coaches who need to be fired. Mr. Energy himself, coach Dave Brock, is shown the door midseason! WOOT!

People are really rallying behing the new Prez and AD. They want UD football back. They are making things happen.

So yes, this will get done.
That is really great news 93 and I am happy for UD fans and for this program. As you know I am a bit of a fan that was gained through much respect of the program and I hated to see it flailing over the last years. I don't even feel like quantifying them as you already have. I know/knew this whole story as it unfolded but aprpeciate the refresher course on the time line for anyone that has not been around long enough to know what this program means to FCS...it is a much better division when UD is great.

This board was a better place with UD fans all over it as well.xthumbsupx

Tubby Raymond
Wing T
Darryl Brown

As much as I respect em', screw those guys and that damn system! xlolx

BTW, as an addendum, I've heard people say that UM should start doing some of that stupid, stupid **** in the 2nd paragraph. I've had these arguments here as well but if UM tried for one second to do any of that dumb **** I'd be fine with seeing them administration go through that same thing UD did.

93henfan
November 9th, 2017, 05:23 PM
May you all never win another game for touching that national pissing monument. You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Ya know, I never valued the "Places" feature in iPhoto until just now. I once took and posted one of the only known pictures of the GWOP (that's "Grand Wall of Piss" for the uninitiated). Unfortunately, I hosted it on Photobucket and we all know what happened to them.

Anyway, I have almost 50,000 pictures in my Mac photo library and trying to locate the GWOP pic would have been mind numbing. Fortunately, I zoomed in to Newark, DE on "Places" and found this:

https://i.imgur.com/Dm9WY9Zl.jpg

93henfan
November 9th, 2017, 05:27 PM
Some day I'll have to do a panorama.

kdinva
November 9th, 2017, 05:33 PM
Dismantle this and send it to CitDog.......for sentimental purposes...

Ya know, I never valued the "Places" feature in iPhoto until just now. I once took and posted one of the only known pictures of the GWOP (that's "Grand Wall of Piss" for the uninitiated). Unfortunately, I hosted it on Photobucket and we all know what happened to them.

Anyway, I have almost 50,000 pictures in my Mac photo library and trying to locate the GWOP pic would have been mind numbing. Fortunately, I zoomed in to Newark, DE on "Places" and found this:

93henfan
November 9th, 2017, 05:34 PM
Dismantle this and send it to CitDog.......for sentimental purposes...

It had better not leave South Campus of UD, or there will be a general uproar.

caribbeanhen
November 9th, 2017, 06:36 PM

i've heard several hen fans tell stories of going in there with sandals or flip-flops on

katss07
November 9th, 2017, 07:47 PM
Bowers Stadium is literally a 14,000 seat pee wall.

Renovations look good. Wish SHSU would move on plans to re do out place.

JayMYou
November 9th, 2017, 09:00 PM

Took this picture after the JMU game at Delaware... can you tell where our fans preferred to take a deuce?

https://i.imgur.com/B3M4pB2.jpg

JayMYou
November 9th, 2017, 09:02 PM
I posted this on JMU's board as well. Hopefully this movement by Delaware leads to better things for both of us.

https://i.imgur.com/mGsNqki.jpg

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 9th, 2017, 09:08 PM
I posted this on JMU's board as well. Hopefully this movement by Delaware leads to better things for both of us.

Turn on ESPNU right now!

http://images.amcnetworks.com/ifc.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Billy-Madison-12.gif

93henfan
November 9th, 2017, 09:24 PM

I'm all for it, but I'm in the decided minority on GoHens in that regard.

Go...gate
November 10th, 2017, 01:31 AM
Those plans look great! Congratulations!

UNHWildcat18
November 10th, 2017, 06:31 AM

Thats awesome lol. But please dont’t leave us, even if you did I hope no one would replace you guys, leave the conference at 10 for football.

Henny
November 10th, 2017, 08:27 AM
LOL!!! This is hilarious. I was at the UD game in Harrisonburg last year and I can safely say if JMU isn't FBS ready (and now with the new arena), I don't know what it!!

RootinFerDukes
November 10th, 2017, 08:34 AM
LOL!!! This is hilarious. I was at the UD game in Harrisonburg last year and I can safely say if JMU isn't FBS ready (and now with the new arena), I don't know what it!!

Shy of perhaps App State, what recent move up in the last 10-15 years was more ready than JMU? The only requirement is an administration that has the balls to do it.

Terry2889
November 10th, 2017, 09:12 AM
Shy of perhaps App State, what recent move up in the last 10-15 years was more ready than JMU? The only requirement is an administration that has the balls to do it.

Georgia Southern WAS ready... They had great success initially and seemed poised to become a solid long-term program. Don't know what happened over the last two years but their collapse has been meteoric. I was watching them play App State last night and they seem lost out there. Apparently the coach that they hired is terrible baed on the conversations with had with some of their fans on our message board.

POD Knows
November 10th, 2017, 09:47 AM

https://i.imgur.com/Dm9WY9Zl.jpgOK, I always thought this was some type of urban legend or a running joke but I guess it exists, my question, how does it work? Do you simply piss on the wall and gravity takes over or do you stand in a big circle and piss into the drain. And I agree with the sentiment, this thing needs to be preserved somewhere.

RootinFerDukes
November 10th, 2017, 10:03 AM
OK, I always thought this was some type of urban legend or a running joke but I guess it exists, my question, how does it work? Do you simply piss on the wall and gravity takes over or do you stand in a big circle and piss into the drain. And I agree with the sentiment, this thing needs to be preserved somewhere.

You piss on the wall and hope someone else's piss doesn't splash back on you (or your own really). There's a thin layer of water streaming down the bottom half of the wall into a little drain.

POD Knows
November 10th, 2017, 10:07 AM
You piss on the wall and hope someone else's piss doesn't splash back on you (or your own really). There's a thin layer of water streaming down the bottom half of the wall into a little drain.Why didn't they just put a gutter or something in there to funnel the piss to a common drain. There is a piss wall at SDSU in Brookings that we have had to use a couple times because they never have enough ****ters but this formalized piss wall is the greatest thing ever. Need to start a petition to save the Piss Wall.

I hope that wall is still there when NDSU comes to visit in 2019, I am going to wear that wall out.

cx500d
November 10th, 2017, 11:27 AM
I hope that wall is still there when NDSU comes to visit in 2019, I am going to wear that wall out.

You don’t need to suffer in silence.... there is medicine and non surgical or radiation options for your “condition”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

POD Knows
November 10th, 2017, 11:32 AM
You don’t need to suffer in silence.... there is medicine and non surgical or radiation options for your “condition”

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkNo condition, it just be the overwhelming desire to get rid of a bunch of rented beer.

cx500d
November 10th, 2017, 11:33 AM
Oh I figgered it was due to your elderly condition.

MR. CHICKEN
November 10th, 2017, 11:35 AM
....AN' WHEN DUH HEATS ON......NUFFIN LIKE....DUH SCENT UH BEER PEE.......WAFTIN'.....THRU DUH NOSE HAIRS............xnodx........BRAWK!

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26460&stc=1

POD Knows
November 10th, 2017, 11:37 AM
Oh I figgered it was due to your elderly condition.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI get the first three for free and then I piss once for every beer after that, just like I did in high school.

cx500d
November 10th, 2017, 11:37 AM
I resemble that.....

ElCid
November 10th, 2017, 12:16 PM
OK, I always thought this was some type of urban legend or a running joke but I guess it exists, my question, how does it work? Do you simply piss on the wall and gravity takes over or do you stand in a big circle and piss into the drain. And I agree with the sentiment, this thing needs to be preserved somewhere.

You serious Clark?xrotatehx

93henfan
November 10th, 2017, 12:30 PM

Lol, nope, you don’t piss inward. You piss on the marble wall. The piping you see mid-wall has low pressure jets of water that cascade down the marble. You also can’t really see it in the picture but there’s a channel all the way around the bottom of the marble to flow the piss away. There’s about a two inch elevated platform that you can see that everyone stands on to piss. Again, facing the wall, not toward each other. Hahah.

It’s really a marvel of 1950s engineering.

PAllen
November 10th, 2017, 12:36 PM
Lol, nope, you don’t piss inward. You piss on the marble wall. The piping you see mid-wall has low pressure jets of water that cascade down the marble. You also can’t really see it in the picture but there’s a channel all the way around the bottom of the marble to flow the piss away. There’s about a two inch elevated platform that you can see that everyone stands on to piss. Again, facing the wall, not toward each other. Hahah.

It’s really a marvel of 1950s engineering.

Last time I was at UD for a game, the low pressure water wasn't running, so it was just gravity. It was like standing in a walk in urinal.

93henfan
November 10th, 2017, 12:40 PM
Last time I was at UD for a game, the low pressure water wasn't running, so it was just gravity. It was like standing in a walk in urinal.

How much did you have to drink? Was there a roll of toilet paper bolted to one of the walls?

POD Knows
November 10th, 2017, 01:30 PM
You serious Clark?xrotatehx
Serious about what, preserving it? No not really

caribbeanhen
November 10th, 2017, 02:28 PM
First time I saw the pee wall It was 1976 and I was 13 years old, due to my higher intensity stream at that time I probably got a little bit of the backsplash. I always remembered the uniqueness of the river of pee but looking at it today I would be afraid to go in there for the thought of a George Michael or a peewee ( pun intended) Herman hanging out in there

RootinFerDukes
November 10th, 2017, 02:31 PM
....AN' WHEN DUH HEATS ON......NUFFIN LIKE....DUH SCENT UH BEER PEE.......WAFTIN'.....THRU DUH NOSE HAIRS............xnodx........BRAWK!

Chickens have nose hair? You learn something new every day.

cx500d
November 10th, 2017, 06:34 PM

Must have had a nice smell....

- - - Updated - - -

First time I saw the pee wall It was 1976 and I was 13 years old, due to my higher intensity stream at that time I probably got a little bit of the backsplash. I always remembered the uniqueness of the river of pee but looking at it today I would be afraid to go in there for the thought of a George Michael or a peewee ( pun intended) Herman hanging out in there

Sounds like you got the same affliction as POD

caribbeanhen
November 10th, 2017, 06:53 PM
Must have had a nice smell....

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like you got the same affliction as POD

don't tell me that .......POD is ancient.

cx500d
November 10th, 2017, 07:02 PM
don't tell me that .......POD is ancient.

You are older than me too....

caribbeanhen
November 10th, 2017, 07:28 PM
You are older than me too....

i'm hearing that more frequently lately

cx500d
November 10th, 2017, 07:36 PM
i'm hearing that more frequently lately

at your age, you are lucky to hear anything....

caribbeanhen
November 10th, 2017, 07:52 PM
at your age, you are lucky to hear anything....

Funny you mention hearing, 10% VA disability rating for hearing loss

TheKingpin28
November 10th, 2017, 07:53 PM
From page 4 and on wards I could have skipped reading, and I would feel better about myself.

caribbeanhen
November 10th, 2017, 07:54 PM
From page 4 and on wards I could have skipped reading, and I would feel better about myself.

Is that because you don't measure up at the P wall?

cx500d
November 10th, 2017, 08:01 PM

He has stage fright.

TheKingpin28
November 10th, 2017, 08:30 PM

He has stage fright.

TMI occurred in this thread.

cx500d
November 10th, 2017, 08:35 PM
You seem a little squeamish... a city boy.

caribbeanhen
November 10th, 2017, 08:42 PM
TMI occurred in this thread.

Too much information running around my brain

too much information driving me insane

damn good song

The police

POD Knows
November 10th, 2017, 08:46 PM
don't tell me that .......POD is ancient.I am seasoned

Attila the Hen
November 10th, 2017, 08:59 PM
Just to set the record straight, the announcement says nothing about getting rid of the whizz wall. It talks about upgrading the restrooms. From what I understand, this would entail adding a whizz wall to the ladies room to comply with Title IX. I've been told the administration is agreeable to such upgrades. Of course there will be some strings attached.

caribbeanhen
November 10th, 2017, 09:02 PM
I am seasoned

isn't that what the Indians did with their elders before they passed

TheKingpin28
November 10th, 2017, 09:05 PM
You seem a little squeamish... a city boy.

This part is true.

Too much information running around my brain

too much information driving me insane

damn good song

The police

I have always enjoyed The Police.

caribbeanhen
November 10th, 2017, 09:15 PM
This part is true.

I have always enjoyed The Police.

i'm impresed that somebody at your young age is familiar with that song, it's a very high energy song and works to get the blood flowing in the morning

in fact, due to the average age of the Delaware fan , that song is piped into the Pee room at Delaware stadium to get something else flowing

ElCid
November 10th, 2017, 09:19 PM
Funny you mention hearing, 10% VA disability rating for hearing loss

I don't know how I kept my hearing. Doc said I had my 1985 baseline intact when I retired. Don't know how with all that jet engine noise for so many years. My wife would argue with the doc as well ... because she says I never hear her.xlolx Hmm.

ElCid
November 10th, 2017, 09:20 PM
Just to set the record straight, the announcement says nothing about getting rid of the whizz wall. It talks about upgrading the restrooms. From what I understand, this would entail adding a whizz wall to the ladies room to comply with Title IX. I've been told the administration is agreeable to such upgrades. Of course there will be some strings attached.

Wow, you could sell tickets to that.

caribbeanhen
November 10th, 2017, 09:46 PM
I don't know how I kept my hearing. Doc said I had my 1985 baseline intact when I retired. Don't know how with all that jet engine noise for so many years. My wife would argue with the doc as well ... because she says I never hear her.xlolx Hmm.

What did the VA say about it ? Hearing doesn't get better it just gets progressively worse, after I retired my first rating was 0% disabled but five years later it was 10%

cx500d
November 10th, 2017, 11:21 PM

My hearing is also not bad based on hearing tests (I often wore double hearing protection). What I do have, which unfortunately hearing tests don't do much for, is really bad ringing. When its quiet, like at night, the ringing is very loud, so I have to use a white noise generator to drown out the ringing otherwise I can't sleep.

93henfan
November 11th, 2017, 07:26 AM
Timeline revealed in this article by UD beat writer Kevin Tresolini:

Construction will not begin until Delaware has raised all the money, which they hope to conclude by the end of the 2018 football season.

The plan is to have the grandstand seating plus the upper sections of the building, containing the club suites and seating and press box area, done by the 2019 football season. The first home game that year is Sept. 7 against Delaware State.

The rest of the athletic performance center project would be concluded in time for the 2020 season.

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/sports/college/ud/2017/11/11/delaware-stadium-receive-long-awaited-facelift-cost-60-million/843762001/

93henfan
November 11th, 2017, 07:27 AM
While we're talking about hearing, mine is (no pun intended) shot. Thousands of SAW rounds without hearing protection during my days in the Marine Corps. Didn't apply for a disability rating.

cx500d
November 11th, 2017, 07:37 AM
While we're talking about hearing, mine is (no pun intended) shot. Thousands of SAW rounds without hearing protection during my days in the Marine Corps. Didn't apply for a disability rating.

It’s a very cumbersome process where all the burden of proof is on you. I havent either despite a bunch of other things wrong

93henfan
November 11th, 2017, 07:40 AM
DelawareOnline also did a pretty cool photo retrospective in the article I linked a few posts back. Here is a sampling:

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/86c8ae62cfef3f6afc42796e6e547ca17d4bc2c0/c=221-0-3860-2736&r=x393&c=520x390/local/-/media/2017/11/09/Wilmington/Wilmington/636458328517943243-fb55-delaware-stadium.jpeg

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/c7ea3772b7686107846570389e0bd9c0ca07370c/c=185-0-2816-1978&r=x393&c=520x390/local/-/media/2017/11/10/Wilmington/Wilmington/636459242088451797-stand-reconstruct-70.JPG

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/113543ed5388da5715b3a4be6701e245d637e668/c=0-58-3000-2314&r=x393&c=520x390/local/-/media/2017/11/10/Wilmington/Wilmington/636459241410467105-DE-stadium-71.JPG

1973 - Chrysler plant in background
https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/9aafcda90b5d9b945420c501ca905d0d6068a4d7/c=170-0-2531-1775&r=x393&c=520x390/local/-/media/2017/11/10/Wilmington/Wilmington/636459241220144665-DE-Stad-10-73.JPG

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/6a46bbaae5efed88f6d4c559ee3778a1c8f7e73c/c=0-79-3000-2335&r=x393&c=520x390/local/-/media/2017/11/10/Wilmington/Wilmington/636459241178492131-DE-Stad-5-84.JPG

https://photos.smugmug.com/Sports/Featured-Photos-Sports/i-nH5m5Dt/1/fab24a6e/S/DSC00611-S.jpg

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/b1f0dfd96c1d82ce1609063e78c224ea4a8ca4e4/c=401-0-3577-2388&r=x393&c=520x390/local/-/media/2017/11/10/Wilmington/Wilmington/636459242312626671-UD-Stadium-panoramic-hi-res-12-dp-.JPG

RootinFerDukes
November 11th, 2017, 07:44 AM

I feel like they aren’t going to appreciate the piss wall to the same degree we do.

caribbeanhen
November 11th, 2017, 08:26 AM
It’s a very cumbersome process where all the burden of proof is on you. I havent either despite a bunch of other things wrong

For 93 hen, El Cid and CX,

I didn't really think the process for applying for VA disability was that bad but then again I've been in Puerto Rico for like 15 years now so just being able to go to a US government agency where they speak English was good enough for me

basically the 0% rating allowed me to get hearing aids complements of the VA

now 10 years later I'm up to 10% for hearing which basically the VA pays 10% of my military retirement and that that 10 % is tax free which is better than nothing

I encourage you 3 to apply and get the benefits you deserve for serving your country

by the way 93 thank you for posting those pictures of Delaware stadium through the years. I love the angle pitch that was put in a 1970 hopefully that can stay that way

blukeys
November 11th, 2017, 09:16 AM
i'm impresed that somebody at your young age is familiar with that song, it's a very high energy song and works to get the blood flowing in the morning

in fact, due to the average age of the Delaware fan , that song is piped into the Pee room at Delaware stadium to get something else flowing
I guess I am one of those "older" fans right now. I was on diuretics for two and a half years. I never needed any songs to get something flowing.

caribbeanhen
November 11th, 2017, 09:38 AM
I guess I am one of those "older" fans right now. I was on diuretics for two and a half years. I never needed any songs to get something flowing.

i'm just glad you got to become an older fan blukey

93henfan
November 12th, 2017, 09:47 AM
A bit of a development after the game yesterday. In the post-game presser, our AD was brought to the podium after Coach Rocco. She stated that the entire home (west) stands of Delaware Stadium will be torn down and a new west side will be built along with the APC and club/press levels. This is getting exciting! Her salient remarks are at 27:23 here: https://www.facebook.com/DelawareBlueHensFootball/videos/10156015603298203/

In addition, the University has already raised $48M of the $60M in just two days following the announcement.

blackhen
November 12th, 2017, 11:13 AM
for those worried about the GWOP rumor is they are not getting rid of it but moving it outside for those who want to keep using it.

93henfan
November 12th, 2017, 11:28 AM
for those worried about the GWOP rumor is they are not getting rid of it but moving it outside for those who want to keep using it.

I hope they bronze it and put it around the Raymond, Murray, and Nelson statues. The three Delaware head coaches in the College Football Hall of Fame can urinate happily in perpetuity.

MR. CHICKEN
November 12th, 2017, 12:30 PM
....TA DUH HEARIN'-LY....CHALLENGED......AH BLAME DUH.....MOTT THE HOOPLE...... 8-TRAX.......IN MAH VEHICLES...........HUH?....WHAT?....xsighx....BRAW K!

Schism55
November 12th, 2017, 12:53 PM
Awesome news for Delaware!!
Congrats!!

BlueHenSinfonian
November 12th, 2017, 01:00 PM
I'd rather see upgrades/updates to the current grandstands than see them tear them down and rebuild because with current building codes they won't be able to build them as steep as they currently are. Still, a new APC is a good thing, and depending on what they do with the rest of the stadium it could work, I just hope they don't reduce capacity.

93henfan
November 12th, 2017, 01:16 PM
I'd rather see upgrades/updates to the current grandstands than see them tear them down and rebuild because with current building codes they won't be able to build them as steep as they currently are. Still, a new APC is a good thing, and depending on what they do with the rest of the stadium it could work, I just hope they don't reduce capacity.

The capacity of the west stands will undoubtedly be reduced with wider seats and with some of the top rows surrendered to the Stadium Club. This may be recouped a bit by curvature of the stands (curves are longer than a straight line from goal line to goal line). Pro's to curvature are better sight lines for folks from the 20 yard line out (current sections A, B, F, G). Cons are that first rows in C,D,E will be pushed back several feet.

We're in conjecture world at this point though. Chrissy said that they can now "start design", so these renderings are very rudimental concepts at this point. They were done by artists and people who know how to plug the art into a rendering program. Once the design gets going, we'll see some drawings that are closer to what will actually be built, backed by engineering. I'm hopeful that the next drawings will be the stunning stuff I was hoping for last week.

Longhorn
November 12th, 2017, 01:41 PM
Better than a poke in the eye I suppose. Given the length of time UD's administration has taken to commit to doing something...anything...the plans (or at least the architectural renderings of them) are a little underwhelming.

Considering UD's stadium and die-hard fan-base once ruled our level of FB I was honestly hoping their administration would finally step-up and knock this one out of the park. These plans strike me as more of a single or stretch double at best. Then again, with Rocco in place, perhaps this is the beginning of a real turn-around.

As hard as I've been on UD (as noted by the many UD faithful who despise me and my past comments about the Hens, and my derogatory predictions offered up 8+ years ago about the downward spiral of their FB program) I respect the institution. UD is a great FB rival too, and their return to being a legit contender makes the CAA a more interesting conference. A JMU/UD alliance (with UD's improved stadium) would also make an attractive combo to a G5 league.

Congrats on the announcement, and hopefully the plans will get built soon.

93henfan
November 12th, 2017, 01:52 PM
Better than a poke in the eye I suppose. Given the length of time UD's administration has taken to commit to doing something...anything...the plans (or at least the architectural renderings of them) are a little underwhelming.

Considering UD's stadium and die-hard fan-base once ruled our level of FB I was honestly hoping their administration would finally step-up and knock this one out of the park. These plans strike me as more of a single or stretch double at best. Then again, with Rocco in place, perhaps this is the beginning of a real turn-around.

As hard as I've been on UD (as noted by the many UD faithful who despise me and my past comments about the Hens, and my derogatory predictions offered up 8+ years ago about the downward spiral of their FB program) I respect the institution. UD is a great FB rival too, and their return to being a legit contender makes the CAA a more interesting conference. A JMU/UD alliance (with UD's improved stadium) would also make an attractive combo to a G5 league.

Congrats on the announcement, and hopefully the plans will get built soon.

This thing has evolved already in the past three days. You can pretty much already throw away the drawings I posted on Pg 1. The entire west stands are coming down and being rebuilt. Donations are coming in much faster than expected: $48M in two days. We won't be saddling our students with exorbitant fees like JMU did. I'm not sure what the exact figure was for you guys, but somebody said it was only maybe $6M in donations and the rest loaded on students and taxpayers? Not sure if that's even accurate, but if it is that's pretty sad.

Keep in mind that we're a state flagship university with a lot of very wealthy alumuni who've been fans for decades and we've always had historical success and support. We had almost 24K fans at a game 44 years ago. This sort of thing isn't new for us. With this blip of a six year drought fading in the rearview, we'll once again take our rightful place at the top of the CAA and get our 7th national championship. If we have to use you tools to get a sweet FBS deal, we're not opposed to that either.

Longhorn
November 15th, 2017, 08:43 PM
This thing has evolved already in the past three days. You can pretty much already throw away the drawings I posted on Pg 1. The entire west stands are coming down and being rebuilt. Donations are coming in much faster than expected: $48M in two days. We won't be saddling our students with exorbitant fees like JMU did. I'm not sure what the exact figure was for you guys, but somebody said it was only maybe $6M in donations and the rest loaded on students and taxpayers? Not sure if that's even accurate, but if it is that's pretty sad.

Keep in mind that we're a state flagship university with a lot of very wealthy alumuni who've been fans for decades and we've always had historical success and support. We had almost 24K fans at a game 44 years ago. This sort of thing isn't new for us. With this blip of a six year drought fading in the rearview, we'll once again take our rightful place at the top of the CAA and get our 7th national championship. If we have to use you tools to get a sweet FBS deal, we're not opposed to that either.

As to be expected, your numbers regarding the money donated for JMU’s facility upgrades are off (low), and the snide comment about loading the cost of building JMU’s stadium “on students and taxpayers” is also off. For starters, VA taxpayers aren’t paying a dime for varsity athletic facilities (as a matter of law). As for student fees (which are used to pay down the bonded debt) the comparative full costs of attending JMU vs. UD show JMU is still a better bargain and less expensive to attend.

Regarding the rest of your overly sensitive blarney, put a sock in it until you get it built (I’ll be surprised if anything is in place before 2020), and put a team on the field that can post back-to-back winning seasons. Afterwards, it still remains to be be seen if UD’s dying fanbase can rebound to average anything close to 18k, much less return to match your pie-in-the sky days of “almost 24k” from 44 years ago. Seriously? You’re trying to pass off attendance stats from over four decades ago? Talk about a delusional boast. Typical UD silliness. And your “blip” of mediocrity isn’t in the review mirror quite yet. UD’s return to relevance is welcome (if your team. earns it), but UD’s place in the pecking order of present-day CAA and FCS FB is somewhere behind JMU.

Henny
November 15th, 2017, 09:17 PM
So much Horesh..t in the above post I don't know where to begin. Delaware's upgrades are being paid by wealthy alumni (and matched by UD). UD now has a $1.5BB endowment hence the match. JMU couldn't dream of raising money this way. (But it had to come from somewhere - thank your students and tax payers). Also if you don't think Delaware's facilities, other than the stands will now be on par with JMU, you're in total denial.

Oh and by the way, we're 80% of the way there and ahead of schedule. Most of phase 1 will be done by the beginning of the 2019 season.

Still don't think UD is making the playoffs this year?

ngineer
November 15th, 2017, 09:54 PM
And the news you were all really waiting for....

THIS MIGHT BE END OF THE PISS WALL!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Delaware Stadium Renovations
Phase 1 will focus on the west side of the stadium and will include:

Chair backs added to the three middle sections
New Stadium Club space with bar, food and access to exclusive Club seating
Enhanced press box, including a game day production studio and coaches' booths
Upgraded restrooms and concessions to improve the fan experience

Cannot take away the Pee Wall. "We all pee at U of D!" Maybe they can 'bronze' it...

Longhorn
November 18th, 2017, 04:20 PM
Still don't think UD is making the playoffs this year?

Ah, I wouldn’t put money on it. How many years in a row would that make it (saying UD is left out of playoffs)?

th0m
November 18th, 2017, 04:39 PM
So much Horesh..t in the above post I don't know where to begin. Delaware's upgrades are being paid by wealthy alumni (and matched by UD). UD now has a $1.5BB endowment hence the match. JMU couldn't dream of raising money this way. (But it had to come from somewhere - thank your students and tax payers). Also if you don't think Delaware's facilities, other than the stands will now be on par with JMU, you're in total denial.

Oh and by the way, we're 80% of the way there and ahead of schedule. ?

you're bragging about the wealth of your alumni, and these plans are the best you can come up with?