PDA

View Full Version : SDSU and NDSU rankings

ASU33
November 7th, 2017, 01:19 PM
I see that North Dakota State is still ranked ahead of South Dakota State in the polls despite losing to the Jackrabbits by 12 on Saturday. Is this simply a 1 loss vs 2 loss deal or does the fact that a season ago the Bison lost to the Jackrabbits at home but won by 26 when it mattered play into the heads of voters?

Professor Chaos
November 7th, 2017, 01:26 PM
I think it's the fact that both teams are in the same conference having played almost identical conference schedules (and played similar OOC schedules as well) and one is 8-1 (5-1) while the other is 7-2 (4-2) despite the latter team having the head-to-head win.

I don't mind people ranking NDSU below SDSU this week and taking the "wait and see" approach. But if NDSU wins this week against USD I think they should be ranked ahead of SDSU after that (even if SDSU also wins).

katss07
November 7th, 2017, 01:28 PM
For one, I dont like how far the polls are dropping NDSU. But if you are going to move them one spot ahead of SDSU, it doesn't seem fair. Jacks beat em, they should be in front of the Bison. Personally, I would still have NDSU in the top 3, while moving SDSU to 5.

DirtyDukes
November 7th, 2017, 01:38 PM
I think it's the fact that both teams are in the same conference having played almost identical conference schedules (and played similar OOC schedules as well) and one is 8-1 (5-1) while the other is 7-2 (4-2) despite the latter team having the head-to-head win.

I don't mind people ranking NDSU below SDSU this week and taking the "wait and see" approach. But if NDSU wins this week against USD I think they should be ranked ahead of SDSU after that (even if SDSU also wins).
That's where I was at - I know NDSU is probably higher than I have ranked but I also felt like I should rank them behind SDSU with a 12 point win. I plan on bumping them back up if they take care of business against USD

CappinHard
November 7th, 2017, 01:58 PM
I see that North Dakota State is still ranked ahead of South Dakota State in the polls despite losing to the Jackrabbits by 12 on Saturday. Is this simply a 1 loss vs 2 loss deal or does the fact that a season ago the Bison lost to the Jackrabbits at home but won by 26 when it mattered play into the heads of voters?

Imo, ranking NDSU lower than SDSU right now would mean that people are being a little to reactionary when making their polls. You have to look at the season as a whole, and if you do, there's no way you would rank NDSU behind SDSU. As others have said, if we had to seed this week, NDSU would clearly get seeded above SDSU. If that's the case, why would they be lower in a poll? Isn't a poll supposed to be a reflection of the whole season and what we would hope the seeds would be based on? (I know, the selection committee has other agendas to tailor their seeds to, but ideally)

dewey
November 7th, 2017, 01:59 PM

Agree with this. If NDSU wins this week and next they would be 6-1 against the top 25 (according to Supe's how they fared spreadsheet). I still think that is a better resume than Jacksonville State and Central Arkansas even though they have zero FCS losses. Central Arkansas has a few good wins but what is JSU's best win? Liberty? Austin Peay?

JSU and Central Arkansas have a lower strength of schedule (see Supe's how they fared spreadsheet).

Simply put NDSU has a better total resume than SDSU, JSU and Central Arkansas.

I realize I am biased but I believe what I said above is fact and not my opinion.

Dewey

Jacks02
November 7th, 2017, 02:16 PM
SDSU won the head to head at home, but I think NDSU has the better resume when looking at the season as a whole.

SDSU is playing its best ball of the season, but I don't think you can overlook the two losses to YSU and UNI.

Based on that, I would have a tough time moving SDSU ahead in the rankings, despite Saturday's result.

ASU33
November 7th, 2017, 02:17 PM
Agree with this. If NDSU wins this week and next they would be 6-1 against the top 25 (according to Supe's how they fared spreadsheet). I still think that is a better resume than Jacksonville State and Central Arkansas even though they have zero FCS losses. Central Arkansas has a few good wins but what is JSU's best win? Liberty? Austin Peay?

JSU and Central Arkansas have a lower strength of schedule (see Supe's how they fared spreadsheet).

I realize I am biased but I believe what I said above is fact and not my opinion.

Dewey

Can't argue against any of this!

Redbird 4th & short
November 7th, 2017, 04:15 PM

Dewey

100% agreed, but also better than SHSU ... shows how lazy and ill informed the STATS and FCP polls are ... no brainer than NDSU should have stayed #2 .. JSU, UCA, and SHSU .. all 8-1 like NDSU, but all 3 have played much weaker schedules are winning by less margin against that weaker schedule then NDSU.

So because NDSU lost more recently .. clearly superior results for first 8 games doesn't matter ? That JSU, UCA, and SHSU all finish against 3 straight cream puffs allows them to move up ???????

MVFC is 1 of 3 weeks into the most competitive 3 week grinder it has ever seen .. war of attrition. FCS selection committee better take note of the stark difference in SOS. Don't punish teams for playing clearly tougher SOS in conference.

- JSU: https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=3606&s=295489

- UCA: https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=1351&s=295489

- SHSU: https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=6981&s=295489

Toughest MVFC closing schedules the last 3 weeks:

- NDSU: https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=5545&s=295489

- SDSU: https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=7268&s=295489

- USD: https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=7262&s=295489

- ISU: https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=3449&s=295489

Plus other 2 playoff contenders have it much easier for last 2 games .. though still tougher than JSU, UCA, and SHSU

- WIU: https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=8754&s=295489

- UNI: https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=5641&s=295489

I like that FCS is doing these 2 top 10s for last and this coming weekend .. would like better if they did 3 to close season - not sure why they aren't doing before the final week. But transparency is a good thing.

WestCoastAggie
November 7th, 2017, 04:21 PM
SDSU won the head to head at home, but I think NDSU has the better resume when looking at the season as a whole.

SDSU is playing its best ball of the season, but I don't think you can overlook the two losses to YSU and UNI.

Based on that, I would have a tough time moving SDSU ahead in the rankings, despite Saturday's result.

But UNI and YSU are towards the top of the Massey and Sagarin polls, including their SOS polls.

JSUSoutherner
November 7th, 2017, 05:09 PM

Dewey

Interesting you couldn't answer a question without bringing up two unrelated team's SOS.

dewey
November 7th, 2017, 05:13 PM
Interesting you couldn't answer a question without bringing up two unrelated team's SOS.Fair enough. IMHO NDSU should be ranked above SDSU because NDSU has a better overall resume than SDSU.

Clear enough?

Dewey

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

JSUSoutherner
November 7th, 2017, 05:25 PM
Fair enough. IMHO NDSU should be ranked above SDSU because NDSU has a better overall resume than SDSU.

Clear enough?

Dewey

I agree. I still have NDSU at 2.

dewey
November 7th, 2017, 05:26 PM
I agree. I still have NDSU at 2.As do I.

Dewey

JimmyJack
November 7th, 2017, 05:50 PM
Fair enough. IMHO NDSU should be ranked above SDSU because NDSU has a better overall resume than SDSU.

Clear enough?

Dewey

Agree completely. NDSU lost one game. On the road. To a good team playing their best football of the year. SDSU blew it twice, including once to a team that has dropped off a cliff.

cx500d
November 7th, 2017, 06:34 PM
Now I feel bad for dropping NDSU like a rock..... However it seems like SDSU is starting to gel, whereas NDSU seemed confused...I guess a handfull of turnovers will do that...