PDA

View Full Version : Is the SoCon really happy with the Furman resurgence?

Purpleglasses
November 7th, 2017, 11:53 AM
This is a valid question for this board.
I see a few Furman Fans posting on this board and all are happy with where our program is going and how they have done this season.

There are a few fans of other teams that are also respectful, and recognize the achievements of the Paladins this season.
Then there are the CIT fans, and others that (while it kills them to do so) say that Furman is vastly improved, do so with clenched teeth, and hoping for a rapid demise.

However, I believe that the vast majority of the SoCon had rather not rattle Furman's Slumber...

case in point...Alabama Crimson Tide
In the whole of the SEC Alabama is, by a large margin, the Bell Cow...and always has been....National Championships in the 60's, 70's, 90's and since 2008 they are what they are. Conference Championships in every decade, etc. The Traditional Power.
They had a little nap from 80-92 (end of the Bear and through caugh caugh Bill Curry) until Gene Stallings came in and woke them up for a little bit, and then in 2007 when Saban came in, woke them up, and dared them to go back to sleep.

Many a College football fan and rival schools during these off years would stay very quiet when they walked past Alabama's Bedroom, tip toeing around so as not to awake them because they all knew when the Giant awoke, he was going to be around for a long time, and thus, would suck in all the others success, and put an end to it.
This is exactly what happend with Nick Saban came to Tuscaloosa, and the domination is evident.

in the SoCon...the only real football history and power is Furman University...
Conference Championships, National Championships, Playoff appearances, Winning seasons...you name it, but, of the current members of the SoCon, Furman is heads and tails above all other schools...
I believe most SoCon fans and schools (outside of the Furman contingent) are all uneasy just like the rest of College Football during Alabama's slumber...The SoCon knows that once the ship is rolling at Furman, they need to watch out.
Furman has the resources, facilities, talent, and the history/tradition that makes for a long run of dominance... the Giant seems to be stirring....

now ElCid, CITDog, YT, and others, will automatically tear down this post, just to again try to put Furman back to bed, and keep them out of their "rented out playground" but....guys...I think you are about to see that Furman is poised and ready to return to our rightful place in the SoCon.
Coach Hendrix has done a tremendous job with these Players, and the Staff he has put into place.
Playoff run this year or not...the attitude, and personality of the Furman Paladins has changed, and very very good things are happening (if you are on our ship)

call me crazy, but I see a long run of success coming our way, and the SoCon had better be ready...

Reign of Terrier
November 7th, 2017, 12:07 PM
Oh my God, you guys win 6 games and you're already comparing yourself to Alabama

For **** Sake

PaladinFan
November 7th, 2017, 12:08 PM
Good grief. This doesn't matter.

Purpleglasses
November 7th, 2017, 12:11 PM
not comparing us to alabama...just the resurgence of a traditional power is all.
I think a healthy Furman Program is a dangerous thing for the rest of the SoCon is all...

phoenix3
...in the SoCon...the only real football history and power is Furman University...
Conference Championships, National Championships, Playoff appearances, Winning seasons...you name it, but, of the current members of the SoCon, Furman is heads and tails above all other schools...
I believe most SoCon fans and schools (outside of the Furman contingent) are all uneasy just like the rest of College Football during Alabama's slumber...The SoCon knows that once the ship is rolling at Furman, they need to watch out.
Furman has the resources, facilities, talent, and the history/tradition that makes for a long run of dominance... the Giant seems to be stirring....
^^^^ This. Just my own personal opinion, but I think the SoCon needs a Furman resurgence. The conference has become gradually more obscure since the departure of App State and GA Southern, for lack of a "bell cow". Wofford has been respectable, but just doesn't carry the same weight.

PaladinFan
not comparing us to alabama...just the resurgence of a traditional power is all.
I think a healthy Furman Program is a dangerous thing for the rest of the SoCon is all...

Furman hasn't done a thing this year besides not embarrass themselves, as had become common place the last few years.

MR. CHICKEN
November 7th, 2017, 12:17 PM
.......ROSE COLORED GLASSES.....IS UH GRASSHOPPERAH.....WHO..... NEEDS TA BE.......BROUGHT ALONG.....SLOWLAH........AWK!

SU DOG
November 7th, 2017, 12:18 PM
I like your enthusiasm, but I do wonder what it is that you want us "other" SoCon fans to say? I think we all agree that Coach Hendrix has done an awesome job. Your Bama analogy might be a bit far-fetched, however. LOL! Do FU fans also recognize and comment on the job done at Western Carolina? It helps all of us when other SoCon teams are strong, and most on here are probably intelligent enough to recognize that point. For example, I sincerely hope that VMI can rise to a ccompetitive level soon. Good for Furman, and sincere CONGRATS on the nice turnaround, but maybe a little constraint in tooting your own horn would be wise?

Mattymc727
November 7th, 2017, 12:24 PM
Where is Citdog when you need him?

PaladinFan
November 7th, 2017, 12:25 PM
I like your enthusiasm, but I do wonder what it is that you want us "other" SoCon fans to say? I think we all agree that Coach Hendrix has done an awesome job. Your Bama analogy might be a bit far-fetched, however. LOL! Do FU fans also recognize and comment on the job done at Western Carolina? It helps all of us when other SoCon teams are strong, and most on here are probably intelligent enough to recognize that point. For example, I sincerely hope that VMI can rise to a ccompetitive level soon. Good for Furman, and sincere CONGRATS on the nice turnaround, but maybe a little constraint in tooting your own horn would be wise?

WCU's a little different. They had an all-conference caliber offense and horrific defense. Furman was just all around bad.

Purpleglasses
November 7th, 2017, 12:28 PM
Thanks SUDog...and I and many other Furman Fans do recognize what WCU has done this year, and their turn around...remember we were both picked at the back of the pack this year.

I also know that we have a conference of young teams...Program wise...Mercer, ETSU...Talent wise...Furman, CIT, WCu, Mercer, ETSU and then there is CHAT (am mystery this season) and VMI
and a strong Wofford...and unbelievably talented SU team.

The Alabama analogy is easy for me, being from Alabama, and raised an Alabama Fan...Traditional Power kind of thing.

I also think that a stronger Furman team, means a stonger SoCon....
A stronger SoCon means more talent in the SoCon...
More talent in the SoCon, means....you get the drift.

main point, is that it seems that Furman is waking up from out nap...

Reign of Terrier
November 7th, 2017, 12:28 PM
To seriously answer your question:

There's something of a tailwind bias here (thinking things are great now and will continue to be so and picking at the information that affirms that claim while glossing over the information that contradicts it). I'll admit in 2013/2014, when App State and GSU were leaving the conference, I thought Wofford was a shoe in to be a perennial champion. After all, who was going to beat us? Furman hadn't made the playoffs in like 8 years; Mercer was a start up; Chattanooga was improving but we hadn't lost to them when having a winning season; the streak was still alive at the Citadel; VMI is VMI; etc.

It didn't turn out that way.

FCS football is pretty fluid because outside of a few programs on the top (JMU, NDSU, etc) and a mass of them on the bottom, talent is pretty equal. There are plenty of examples of coaches coming to no-name programs (Charleston Southern, Southeast Missouri State on the top of my head) and two years taking them to the playoffs or going on a run.

As a conference opponent, I don't view Furman as some sleeping giant like the SEC looks at Alabama. You're not Bama and for reasons that are too long to list, will never be Bama at this level. Only Bama is Bama at any school and few teams have the resources to tower over the division at this level (I don't think Furman is one of them). They are a conference opponent with a lot of potential, but you could say the same of Chattanooga, Citadel, Wofford and Samford.

People forget that Georgia Southern didn't go the national championship for the last 10 years + of their years at FCS. App State had quite a few first and second round exits after Armanti graduated. They weren't the same team IMO. To be "like Bama" or any perennial power, you have to consistently recruit and retain supremely talented players compared to the rest of the conference. Bama can do that. You can't really do that at the FCS (though NDSU is comparable to Bama, I'd argue their success is attributed to talent yes, but not supreme talent; they've had the stars align with them with a great system and great homefield advantage).

Now, as for "Furman is the only team with history," that's just a dumb argument. If this were 10 years ago, you'd have a point. Most people and incoming players don't care what happened in the 1990s unless you have the hardware to prove (which admittedly, 1988 was a good year to you, but that's the only thing you have going relative to the rest of the conference).

Since 2007 (frame used because it was 10 years ago, I recognize y'all had good teams up to 2006 but that's the point), Furman has made the playoffs ONCE. They aren't a lock this year. In that time, Wofford has made it 6 times (likely a 7th this year, Chattanooga 3 times, Citadel twice and Samford twice (they are on the bubble as well). Each of those teams have won the Socon more times than Furman has during that stretch, and all of them except *maybe* Chattanooga (because they were really really good and the conference was down I'd argue from 2013-2015) and Wofford (who is pretty high right now, all things considered) has a reasonable expectation that they'll improve going into next year and beyond. That looks more like a competitive conference that Furman will contribute to; it does not look like a conference that Furman will dominate or pull a Bama.

I don't care about your history, given all that.

Reign of Terrier
November 7th, 2017, 12:37 PM
As I've said many times, the difference between the Socon today and 10 years ago is that we're more clustered. We don't have as many bottom feeders, but we don't have a team as great as App State circa 2005-2009 either. I don't think Furman (or anyone in the socon for that matter) can be that team, just because I think that particular team/program had a strategic edge (fast pace spread before it was cool) and athletic prowess that you're just not going to replicate easily.

For the longest time, the Socon was App State, GSU, Furman, 3 meh teams and 3 bottom feeders (Chatt, Western, Elon) and then it was App State, Wofford, Elon, 4 meh teams and 2 bottom feeders (Chatt, Western)

Now it's 4 good teams, 4 meh teams and VMI. But the meh teams are a lot more competitive with the 4 good teams. Any team expecting to run the table over night is probably going to be a meh team. Unlike 10 years ago, all of the supposed bottom feeders have the expectations to win, or at least not a tradition of losing, so it's going to be hard for any team to consistently demoralize another like App used to do to Chattanooga, Wofford to the Citadel, or Georgia Southern to Western.

I'd also argue that even though we saw Western, Chattanooga and the Citadel improve into great teams and conference champions between 2013 and 2015, the conference was pretty down. A weak Furman and weak Wofford make everyone look less good.

ElCid
November 7th, 2017, 12:39 PM
Yeah, I have never been fair in discussing SOCON teams. Good observation Purplepukeglasses. Try again.

Purpleglasses
November 7th, 2017, 12:40 PM
And there it is YT...
Wofford likes to use the last 10 yrs as its litmus test because it helps solidify them at the top of the conference (which they are presently)
The whole point of the post was that Furman has been asleep the last 10 yrs (one playoff appearance).
Now it seems we are waking up...and the playoffs are very possible this season...
Furman (no matter how you like it) is a TRADITIONAL SoCon power...and National Contender (not the last 10 yrs, but again remember the nap)

I dont think WC wants to play Furman again (which is entirely possible), I think Wofford was extremely fortunate to get Furman the first game of the season...our team has changed a lot since that hot September afternoon.

SU DOG
November 7th, 2017, 12:41 PM
Actually JSU in the OVC would be a prime example of a current team completely dominating a conference.

Bison56
November 7th, 2017, 12:44 PM
Quit crying ��

Purpleglasses
November 7th, 2017, 12:47 PM
SoCon Championships by Current Members
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26443&stc=1
SoCon Championships by Former Members
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26444&stc=1

PaladinFan
November 7th, 2017, 12:51 PM
To seriously answer your question:

There's something of a tailwind bias here (thinking things are great now and will continue to be so and picking at the information that affirms that claim while glossing over the information that contradicts it). I'll admit in 2013/2014, when App State and GSU were leaving the conference, I thought Wofford was a shoe in to be a perennial champion. After all, who was going to beat us? Furman hadn't made the playoffs in like 8 years; Mercer was a start up; Chattanooga was improving but we hadn't lost to them when having a winning season; the streak was still alive at the Citadel; VMI is VMI; etc.

It didn't turn out that way.

FCS football is pretty fluid because outside of a few programs on the top (JMU, NDSU, etc) and a mass of them on the bottom, talent is pretty equal. There are plenty of examples of coaches coming to no-name programs (Charleston Southern, Southeast Missouri State on the top of my head) and two years taking them to the playoffs or going on a run.

As a conference opponent, I don't view Furman as some sleeping giant like the SEC looks at Alabama. You're not Bama and for reasons that are too long to list, will never be Bama at this level. Only Bama is Bama at any school and few teams have the resources to tower over the division at this level (I don't think Furman is one of them). They are a conference opponent with a lot of potential, but you could say the same of Chattanooga, Citadel, Wofford and Samford.

People forget that Georgia Southern didn't go the national championship for the last 10 years + of their years at FCS. App State had quite a few first and second round exits after Armanti graduated. They weren't the same team IMO. To be "like Bama" or any perennial power, you have to consistently recruit and retain supremely talented players compared to the rest of the conference. Bama can do that. You can't really do that at the FCS (though NDSU is comparable to Bama, I'd argue their success is attributed to talent yes, but not supreme talent; they've had the stars align with them with a great system and great homefield advantage).

Now, as for "Furman is the only team with history," that's just a dumb argument. If this were 10 years ago, you'd have a point. Most people and incoming players don't care what happened in the 1990s unless you have the hardware to prove (which admittedly, 1988 was a good year to you, but that's the only thing you have going relative to the rest of the conference).

Since 2007 (frame used because it was 10 years ago, I recognize y'all had good teams up to 2006 but that's the point), Furman has made the playoffs ONCE. They aren't a lock this year. In that time, Wofford has made it 6 times (likely a 7th this year, Chattanooga 3 times, Citadel twice and Samford twice (they are on the bubble as well). Each of those teams have won the Socon more times than Furman has during that stretch, and all of them except *maybe* Chattanooga (because they were really really good and the conference was down I'd argue from 2013-2015) and Wofford (who is pretty high right now, all things considered) has a reasonable expectation that they'll improve going into next year and beyond. That looks more like a competitive conference that Furman will contribute to; it does not look like a conference that Furman will dominate or pull a Bama.

I don't care about your history, given all that.

I do think Furman is well positioned for the future, and I say that trying to look as un-homerish as possible. Looking at the conference, I make a few observations.

I think Wofford has a bit of a ceiling. Mike Ayers has done a marvelous job with what he has, and is pound for pound one of the most talented coaches in the FCS. At the same time, the gritty short-haired dog philosophy and operating as the perennial underdog isn't going to beat good teams in the post season. Everyone respects Wofford, but no one really fears them. The Citadel sort of falls in the same boat. Good teams, but eventually run into programs with good coaching and more talent.

WCU and Samford are wait and sees for me. Both teams have a lot of talent and a lot of potential, but both play a brand of what I call "hero" ball. That is, they lean heavily on one or two guys to carry a bunch of water for them. Maybe the "next man up" can replace Hodges, or maybe Samford is destined to Elon's fate after Scott Riddle graduated. I have no idea. I can see it going both ways.

UTC has the ability to dominate this conference. I'm not sure what their future will be under Arth. I don't think they know either.

Mercer, too, has a lot going for it. In a very short time they've accumulated a lot of talented players. I think Bobby Lamb is what he is at this point, after 13 or 14 seasons he's spent most of that time as a .500 coach. Mercer may eventually be left with the situation Samford was sort of in with Pat Sullivan. They owe a great debt to the head coach, but there's some concern about whether he's the guy that is going to elevate the program to where they want to be.

What I like about what Furman is doing is getting back to basics. Hendrix is an offensive line maven, and you can see an immediate improvement up front for the Paladins. Good, physical, blocking up front does not go into a slump. Maybe they are the Hideo Nomo of the SoCon right now - using smoke and mirrors to fool folks until the rest of the conference adjusts. I do think you can do a whole lot of damage with the physical brand of football they are embracing and a good group of coaches.

PaladinFan
November 7th, 2017, 12:54 PM
Also, I think 2018 is going to be a banner year for the SoCon. There is A LOT of talent coming back in this conference.

Reign of Terrier
November 7th, 2017, 12:55 PM
And there it is YT...
Wofford likes to use the last 10 yrs as its litmus test because it helps solidify them at the top of the conference (which they are presently)
The whole point of the post was that Furman has been asleep the last 10 yrs (one playoff appearance).
Now it seems we are waking up...and the playoffs are very possible this season...
Furman (no matter how you like it) is a TRADITIONAL SoCon power...and National Contender (not the last 10 yrs, but again remember the nap)

I dont think WC wants to play Furman again (which is entirely possible), I think Wofford was extremely fortunate to get Furman the first game of the season...our team has changed a lot since that hot September afternoon.

So because y'all are having one good year, you're Bama now?

Wofford fans don't prefer the last 10 years because it makes us look good (I'll go back to 2002 in our ~fourth year as full D1 program; since then we've had more conference titles than losing seasons; Furman can't say that) but because it's actually relevant. Before the last 10 years, do you know how many current members of the Socon were still in the conference? 4 of 8 teams.

No one cares about what Furman did in the 90s or 80s because so much has changed since then.

If you want to pretend your Bama or whatever and expect domination over the next decade because you've won 6 games, feel free, but there's plenty of reasons to doubt it or be humble just because the dynamics of the conference have changed.

But what annoys me is this homerism masquerading as reasonableness and the dismissal of skepticism as simply jaded bias.

SU DOG
November 7th, 2017, 12:55 PM
As I've said many times, the difference between the Socon today and 10 years ago is that we're more clustered. We don't have as many bottom feeders, but we don't have a team as great as App State circa 2005-2009 either. I don't think Furman (or anyone in the socon for that matter) can be that team, just because I think that particular team/program had a strategic edge (fast pace spread before it was cool) and athletic prowess that you're just not going to replicate easily.

For the longest time, the Socon was App State, GSU, Furman, 3 meh teams and 3 bottom feeders (Chatt, Western, Elon) and then it was App State, Wofford, Elon, 4 meh teams and 2 bottom feeders (Chatt, Western)

Now it's 4 good teams, 4 meh teams and VMI. But the meh teams are a lot more competitive with the 4 good teams. Any team expecting to run the table over night is probably going to be a meh team. Unlike 10 years ago, all of the supposed bottom feeders have the expectations to win, or at least not a tradition of losing, so it's going to be hard for any team to consistently demoralize another like App used to do to Chattanooga, Wofford to the Citadel, or Georgia Southern to Western.

I'd also argue that even though we saw Western, Chattanooga and the Citadel improve into great teams and conference champions between 2013 and 2015, the conference was pretty down. A weak Furman and weak Wofford make everyone look less good.

These are some good points YT. I also wonder if our other SoCon teams were catching up to GASO and Appy before their departure? Samford was actually 3-2 vs the Eagles, and as has been said, after Edwards left, ASU wasn't the same. Would those 2 teams have continued their dominance in the SoCon had they stayed? I actually have my doubts.

Reign of Terrier
November 7th, 2017, 12:59 PM
I think Wofford running a gimmick option offense holds us back (it was necessary at one time, but I don't think so anymore) and I'd much rather see us run a power I pro-set like most MVFC teams/Bama/UGA/kind of what Furman runs.

But as an institutional criticism I don't think there's anything that differentiates Furman/Wofford/Samford in terms of their potential as programs (academics, campus culture, etc), just because they are so similar. Like in basketball, Chattanooga, ETSU and Western have the potential to be great every year and Mercer is a hybrid between those two groups. Unfortunately, I think VMI and the citadel are the ones with the ceiling

Purpleglasses
November 7th, 2017, 01:00 PM
YT I think you have been flea dipped one too many times...
again...not Bama...just the comparison of "Traditional Power" in a conference, after a dormant period.
I am so sorry to confuse you, I know you're breed is a little paranoid...

Purpleglasses
November 7th, 2017, 01:02 PM
"But as an institutional criticism I don't think there's anything that differentiates Furman/Wofford/Samford in terms of their potential as programs (academics, campus culture, etc), just because they are so similar. Like in basketball, Chattanooga, ETSU and Western have the potential to be great every year and Mercer is a hybrid between those two groups. Unfortunately, I think VMI and the citadel are the ones with the ceiling"

YT, you are dead on with this comment...I would even add in CIT (as much as it pains me) Academics wise...NOT CAMPUS!

PaladinFan
November 7th, 2017, 01:08 PM
I think Wofford running a gimmick option offense holds us back (it was necessary at one time, but I don't think so anymore) and I'd much rather see us run a power I pro-set like most MVFC teams/Bama/UGA/kind of what Furman runs.

But as an institutional criticism I don't think there's anything that differentiates Furman/Wofford/Samford in terms of their potential as programs (academics, campus culture, etc), just because they are so similar. Like in basketball, Chattanooga, ETSU and Western have the potential to be great every year and Mercer is a hybrid between those two groups. Unfortunately, I think VMI and the citadel are the ones with the ceiling

Furman used to have the market cornered on championship level D1 football at a small liberal arts college in the south. There are a lot more entrants into that market now.

I do think that there are a lot of similarities among some of the current SoCon members. I think Furman has a few advantages with Greenville being such an impressive city. I don't know if those advantages actually show up in recruiting, though.

Reign of Terrier
November 7th, 2017, 01:09 PM
*your

Your metaphor falls short for a few reasons:

1) it's unsubstantiated that big programs go into "sleep" or whatever you want to call it. Maybe Furman peddles around at 7-4/8-3 for the rest of time; there's nothing written into the universe that says this "sleeping giant" thing is a rule or that Furman qualifies as a sleeping giant.

2) There are a lot of variables that contribute to a program's success and any comparison between a private FCS school and a public SEC FBS school are fundamentally flawed, full stop.

3) there's a lot more parity in FCS than FBS, especially in conference play(less teams, everyone plays each other). Arguably, many P5 teams benefit from such a matchup because they don't have to play everyone in their conference

4) It's harder to win a national title in FCS than FBS because because #3 and the size of the playoffs. That's what makes the NDSU runs and App State runs so special (I have a personal hypothesis that home field advantage is a strong contributor to playoff success, and I think teams like Wofford, Samford and Furman are going to be disadvantaged accordingly)

So I don't doubt that Furman will do well in the next decade or so under Hendrix, but I don't see them as the next coming of App State circa 2005-2009 or Paul Johnson's GSU teams

I won't admit you're more impressive as a program until I actually see results in wins and conference championships, because right now there's no reason to think that Furman sticks out more than anyone else.

PaladinFan
November 7th, 2017, 01:09 PM
These are some good points YT. I also wonder if our other SoCon teams were catching up to GASO and Appy before their departure? Samford was actually 3-2 vs the Eagles, and as has been said, after Edwards left, ASU wasn't the same. Would those 2 teams have continued their dominance in the SoCon had they stayed? I actually have my doubts.

Both App and GSU finished middle of the pack in the SoCon in 2013. A lot of excuses were made from them, but that GSU team also was the one that beat Florida. Couldn't beat Furman but could beat Florida?

Both of those teams finished at the top of the SunBelt the next season.

Reign of Terrier
November 7th, 2017, 01:11 PM
Furman used to have the market cornered on championship level D1 football at a small liberal arts college in the south. There are a lot more entrants into that market now.

I do think that there are a lot of similarities among some of the current SoCon members. I think Furman has a few advantages with Greenville being such an impressive city. I don't know if those advantages actually show up in recruiting, though.

Right now, I think if Furman does better than Wofford/Samford it's on coaching philosophy. We will run the option so long as Ayers is here (and maybe so long as Lang is as well), but the original justification was that we could recruit the athletes necessary to compete with GSU, App, or even Furman, etc.

Now that's just not true.

PaladinFan
November 7th, 2017, 01:11 PM
*your

Your metaphor falls short for a few reasons:

1) it's unsubstantiated that big programs go into "sleep" or whatever you want to call it. Maybe Furman peddles around at 7-4/8-3 for the rest of time; there's nothing written into the universe that says this "sleeping giant" thing is a rule or that Furman qualifies as a sleeping giant.

2) There are a lot of variables that contribute to a program's success and any comparison between a private FCS school and a public SEC FBS school are fundamentally flawed, full stop.

3) there's a lot more parity in FCS than FBS, especially in conference play(less teams, everyone plays each other). Arguably, many P5 teams benefit from such a matchup because they don't have to play everyone in their conference

4) It's harder to win a national title in FCS than FBS because because #3 and the size of the playoffs. That's what makes the NDSU runs and App State runs so special (I have a personal hypothesis that home field advantage is a strong contributor to playoff success, and I think teams like Wofford, Samford and Furman are going to be disadvantaged accordingly)

So I don't doubt that Furman will do well in the next decade or so under Hendrix, but I don't see them as the next coming of App State circa 2005-2009 or Paul Johnson's GSU teams

I won't admit you're more impressive as a program until I actually see results in wins and conference championships, because right now there's no reason to think that Furman sticks out more than anyone else.

Well, just as a reminder, App had to beat Furman in the semi-finals just to make it to the national title game in 2005. The absence of one patch of ice on the Kidd Brewer turf was probably the difference in who played (and, frankly won) the national title that year.

I get your point, but unlike everyone else in the SoCon, Furman has already been that team. Now, whether they can be that team again is left to be seen.

JSUSoutherner
November 7th, 2017, 01:14 PM
Actually JSU in the OVC would be a prime example of a current team completely dominating a conference.

I don't know about completely dominating... we only have 30 wins in row. xcoffeex

PaladinFan
November 7th, 2017, 01:16 PM
Right now, I think if Furman does better than Wofford/Samford it's on coaching philosophy. We will run the option so long as Ayers is here (and maybe so long as Lang is as well), but the original justification was that we could recruit the athletes necessary to compete with GSU, App, or even Furman, etc.

Now that's just not true.

While I don't consider the offense gimmicky, Wofford is probably not a serious national contender threat running their offense. It is too one dimensional, and if a team figures it out, it is too difficult for them to move the ball.

I understand that Wofford could compete with GSU now, but I do not think they have the same athletes. I'm not sure anyone could put the same athletic talent on the field GSU could.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know about completely dominating... we only have 30 wins in row. xcoffeex

Up until the last two weeks, I think, UTC had looked better against Jacksonville State than anyone they'd seen in the SoCon (outside of VMI). JSU is talented, but I think they'll have their hands full if they see one of the SoCon teams in the postseason.

FUGameBreaker
November 7th, 2017, 01:20 PM
Any team that tries to nearly double their listed stadium seating capacity by counting grass hills will never accomplish a national title run

Looking at you Wofford

tenNesseeCat
November 7th, 2017, 01:21 PM
"hero ball" because we have two really talented players that stand out? What about Young and Spencer? They both have done quite well when asked to fill in. What about Hill and Robinson, he's now our all time leading receiver. Riddle was an all socon LB as well as Sexton at TE, even though he hasn't played much.

I understand that we still have a past to overcome, and run D needs to improve. Maybe a trip to the playoffs will help the former, and retaining a solid DC will help the latter.

As to the whole FU thing, I'm happy to see FU improve. It helps the socon, but I don't fear their history.

ASU33
November 7th, 2017, 01:21 PM

That's impressive!

wcugrad95
November 7th, 2017, 01:23 PM
A couple of things. Of course I'll lead with a point about WCU. We certainly made a big turnaround from last season, but we will now have at least 7 wins in 3 of the last 4 seasons. We have finally turned a corner of getting over the last coaching regime. So WCU can still have bad seasons, but this is not an "out of nowhere" team.

As for the rest of it, I do think it is a little pompous to make the SoCon resurgence about a single team. What is good for the conference is for us to collectively and routinely have 4 or more ranked teams. It would be better for all of us to have a bunch of 7 and 8 win teams, and then a bunch of other teams who are at least around .500. When the conference was so highly regarded was when we had multiple teams in the top 12 or so in the early-season rankings, and there was a thought 1 or more could not only win a playoff game, but could realistically expect to get to the semis and see what happens. No doubt historically that has been Furman, but we got 4 teams into the playoffs last year. So I don't think this is about a team - it is about the collective.

So it is great that a well-known brand like Furman is poised to regain some of that mojo, but the SoCon is better when we have lots of capable teams.

FUGameBreaker
November 7th, 2017, 01:24 PM
On a serious note, when Clay I was hired I expected this type of conversation eventually, but not this soon, so I am thrilled to see it unfold in year 1

JSUSoutherner
November 7th, 2017, 01:26 PM
Up until the last two weeks, I think, UTC had looked better against Jacksonville State than anyone they'd seen in the SoCon (outside of VMI). JSU is talented, but I think they'll have their hands full if they see one of the SoCon teams in the postseason.
Fun fact: Since Grass got here JSU is 5-0 vs. the SoCon

Reign of Terrier
November 7th, 2017, 01:26 PM
I don't know, there's a lot of examples of Wofford coming close in the playoffs. Our best team was arguably 2008 and that team lost to #1 ranked JMU in Harrisonburg on a bad fourth down spot. Who knows how far we go in that post season if that turns out different. Wofford's been to the playoffs 7 times and lost to the champ, the runner up or the #1 seed in 4 of them. GSU, The infamous no-kneel kickoff was the difference against UNI and a fumbled snap on a punt was the difference against Richmond were the other two. Our problem has been main homefield. If we get it, we go on a run, but when we get sent across the country (we've only boarded one flight for the playoffs and won) we don't play our best.

We've adjusted our offense in the last few years to incorporate more passing and it's shown results this year. I think it's worth noting that 10 years ago our offense was averaging about 2 touchdowns more per game than it is now. It takes a lot of converging factors to win a national title and the stars just haven't aligned for us yet.

Reign of Terrier
November 7th, 2017, 01:28 PM
On a serious note, when Clay I was hired I expected this type of conversation eventually, but not this soon, so I am thrilled to see it unfold in year 1

The only people taking this conversation seriously are like 5 Furman fans

PaladinFan
November 7th, 2017, 01:31 PM
Fun fact: Since Grass got here JSU is 5-0 vs. the SoCon

I may be wrong, but with Grass as head coach it appears JSU is 4-0 with every win over the same team (UTC).

The Cats
November 7th, 2017, 01:32 PM
This is a valid question for this board.
I see a few Furman Fans posting on this board and all are happy with where our program is going and how they have done this season.

There are a few fans of other teams that are also respectful, and recognize the achievements of the Paladins this season.
Then there are the CIT fans, and others that (while it kills them to do so) say that Furman is vastly improved, do so with clenched teeth, and hoping for a rapid demise.

However, I believe that the vast majority of the SoCon had rather not rattle Furman's Slumber...

case in point...Alabama Crimson Tide
In the whole of the SEC Alabama is, by a large margin, the Bell Cow...and always has been....National Championships in the 60's, 70's, 90's and since 2008 they are what they are. Conference Championships in every decade, etc. The Traditional Power.
They had a little nap from 80-92 (end of the Bear and through caugh caugh Bill Curry) until Gene Stallings came in and woke them up for a little bit, and then in 2007 when Saban came in, woke them up, and dared them to go back to sleep.

Many a College football fan and rival schools during these off years would stay very quiet when they walked past Alabama's Bedroom, tip toeing around so as not to awake them because they all knew when the Giant awoke, he was going to be around for a long time, and thus, would suck in all the others success, and put an end to it.
This is exactly what happend with Nick Saban came to Tuscaloosa, and the domination is evident.

in the SoCon...the only real football history and power is Furman University...

now ElCid, CITDog, YT, and others, will automatically tear down this post, just to again try to put Furman back to bed, and keep them out of their "rented out playground" but....guys...I think you are about to see that Furman is poised and ready to return to our rightful place in the SoCon.
Coach Hendrix has done a tremendous job with these Players, and the Staff he has put into place.
Playoff run this year or not...the attitude, and personality of the Furman Paladins has changed, and very very good things are happening (if you are on our ship)
call me crazy, but I see a long run of success coming our way, and the SoCon had better be ready...

Comparing Furman to Alabama in football takes a BIG set of balls......

Maybe that's why some folks are not wild about a Furman resurgance......

JSUSoutherner
November 7th, 2017, 01:33 PM
I may be wrong, but with Grass as head coach it appears JSU is 4-0 with every win over the same team (UTC).

I counted the 2013 win over Samford in the first round. Grass was the OC.

As a head coach Grass is:

4-0 vs SoCon
29-0 vs. OVC
4-0 vs. Big South
1-1 vs. Southland
0-2 vs. MVFC

38-3 against FCS competition.

FUGameBreaker
The only people taking this conversation seriously are like 5 Furman fans

Apparently one Terrier fan as well, who has more posts in this thread than anybody

PaladinFan
General rule: There's only one program in the country you can compare to Alabama, and that's Clemson. Even then, it's probably a stretch.

FUGameBreaker
November 7th, 2017, 01:38 PM
General rule: There's only one program in the country you can compare to Alabama, and that's Clemson. Even then, it's probably a stretch.

How about the Patriots then, over the years Furman is probably more in line with that level of talent

Reign of Terrier
November 7th, 2017, 01:39 PM
Apparently one Terrier fan as well, who has more posts in this thread than anybody

Furman fans are asking the question and I'm saying "No" in as many ways as I can with as many words as I can.

Also Furman sucks

The Cats
November 7th, 2017, 01:39 PM
And there it is YT...

I can assure you, WCU wants another shot.

Reign of Terrier
November 7th, 2017, 01:40 PM

4-0 vs SoCon
29-0 vs. OVC
4-0 vs. Big South
1-1 vs. Southland
0-2 vs. MVFC

Before Grass made Jacksonville a perennial playoff winner the main criticism of OVC was that they quite literally couldn't beat anyone in the playoffs. They were compared to the MEAC

ElonFirefighter
November 7th, 2017, 01:42 PM
For Furman University Christian Knights sake!!!!!!

PaladinFan
November 7th, 2017, 01:44 PM
Before Grass made Jacksonville a perennial playoff winner the main criticism of OVC was that they quite literally couldn't beat anyone in the playoffs. They were compared to the MEAC

I'm not sure anyone but JSU can beat anyone in the playoffs still.

I enjoyed the Gamecocks last visit to Paladin Stadium in the postseason, though.

PaladinFan
November 7th, 2017, 01:46 PM

4-0 vs SoCon
29-0 vs. OVC
4-0 vs. Big South
1-1 vs. Southland
0-2 vs. MVFC

Well, if that's the standard, then Clay Hendrix is 3-0 against Jacksonville State.

JSUSoutherner
November 7th, 2017, 01:49 PM
I'm not sure anyone but JSU can beat anyone in the playoffs still.

I enjoyed the Gamecocks last visit to Paladin Stadium in the postseason, though.

Depends on the matchups. I could see EIU and APSU winning a first round game given someone from the Patriot league or alike. But yeah. No one else in the conference is to the point of having potential to make deep playoff runs. I could see APSU there in a couple years if Healy keeps the train rolling.

SCPALADIN
November 7th, 2017, 02:09 PM
Who the #$%@ cares what fans of other programs think...good grief.

This is an embarrassing thread.

SU DOG
November 7th, 2017, 02:19 PM
Since this thread has morphed somewhat anyhow, I will offer a couple of comments about JSU. They have earned their ranking as one of the best FCS teams in the country. Are they as good as last year? In watching them so far I would have to say no. It is hard to replace some of those great players that are gone. They will also lose, IMO. their top guns from this year. The first two that comes to mind are Roc Thomas on offense and Darius Jackson on defense. Both may very well be playing on Sunday next year. If I'm correct, the middle three of the O-Line will also be gone. JSU somehow does a great job of redshirting. Their seniors are usually mostly all 5th year players. I sure don't know what they have coming up, and of course they are well coached, but I will be surprised if they can continue their dominance in the future as they have for the past few seasons. As for this year, and how far they can go, I think they will make a long Playoff run, but with the schedule they have played who really knows?

FUGameBreaker
November 7th, 2017, 02:27 PM
Who the #$%@ cares what fans of other programs think...good grief.

This is an embarrassing thread.

Ill take the FU resurgence and this thread, over the embarrassment of the prior 3 years of losing any day

CockyGeek
November 7th, 2017, 02:43 PM
They're not even the best purple team in the conference

walliver
November 7th, 2017, 02:48 PM
I've been on this board since 2003 and even remember its predecessor board.

This is the most ridiculous thread posted since the days of the Toreros of San Diego as a national power.

The Decembrists came early this year.

PaladinFan
November 7th, 2017, 02:55 PM
I've been on this board since 2003 and even remember its predecessor board.

This is the most ridiculous thread posted since the days of the Toreros of San Diego as a national power.

The Decembrists came early this year.

Yeah, but you didn't answer the question. Are you really happy with Furman's resurgence?

JSUSoutherner
November 7th, 2017, 02:58 PM
Since this thread has morphed somewhat anyhow, I will offer a couple of comments about JSU. They have earned their ranking as one of the best FCS teams in the country. Are they as good as last year? In watching them so far I would have to say no. It is hard to replace some of those great players that are gone. They will also lose, IMO. their top guns from this year. The first two that comes to mind are Roc Thomas on offense and Darius Jackson on defense. Both may very well be playing on Sunday next year. If I'm correct, the middle three of the O-Line will also be gone. JSU somehow does a great job of redshirting. Their seniors are usually mostly all 5th year players. I sure don't know what they have coming up, and of course they are well coached, but I will be surprised if they can continue their dominance in the future as they have for the past few seasons. As for this year, and how far they can go, I think they will make a long Playoff run, but with the schedule they have played who really knows?

Honestly, I think we're better than last year. The offense doesn't have the big ol' flashy stats and 50 points a week that the 2015 edition did but I think we are much more efficient and better balanced than last year. Last year it seemed our only two offensive options were throw deep to Barge and the read option with Eli. This year we're moving the chains more often and spreading the ball more. We're not as much of a two-trick pony this year. More like a 5-6 trick pony. :D

The defense is pretty much the same bunch from last year. Moving Siran Neal to corner really helped us out in the secondary after losing Hill to the Ravens. After forcing 9 takeaways last year teams have also learned to stop testing Marlon Bridges over the top. Everybody seems to focus in on Darius Jackson but the fun thing is we have a whole stable of guys on the DL who are as disruptive as he is. We rotate a lot and Darius comes in and out of the game. There's not a drop off. Hagler at nickle has also stepped up and I think he's playing at an AA level as well.

We also have a kicker for once. Which would have been nice to have 787 days ago. xcoffeex

You mentioned the redshirts...
We lose Roc, Darius, Lea, Cline, and our center. Of those guys I'm most worried about replacing the center. The depth that Grass has been able to have on this team across the board is the reason we keep winning and why I'm not as concerned about losing a guy like Roc or Darius. We've got more. It's next man up. We replaced Pope and Landrum well with Darius and Roc. The wheels will keep rolling. We've got some quality players we were able to redshirt.

I'm sure some MVFC snob will point to our losses but since Grass has been here we've only lost to teams that went to Frisco and a semifinalist... so...

Is it December yet?

FUGameBreaker
November 7th, 2017, 03:00 PM
They're not even the best purple team in the conference

October 28th, 2017 (The game that WCU dubbed the battle for purple supremacy)

AshevilleApp2
November 7th, 2017, 03:06 PM
Congratulations Furman on the beginnings of a comeback in national relevance! From an outside (recent) perspective this is good for the conference as a whole. Add this to the general improvement of the other programs in recent years, and hopefully the SOCON will return to the elite 2 or 3 conference status from previous years.

Purpleglasses
November 7th, 2017, 03:08 PM
[/QUOTE]
October 28th, 2017 (The game that WCU dubbed the battle for purple supremacy)

in their media guide it will be marked:
The Battle for Purple Supremacy * (Weather Impairment, and our QB was injured in the 2nd qtr, and Furman Flopped ALOT)

FUGameBreaker
November 7th, 2017, 03:17 PM
in their media guide it will be marked:
The Battle for Purple Supremacy * (Weather Impairment, and our QB was injured in the 2nd qtr, and Furman Flopped ALOT)[/QUOTE]

Haha yep!

I remember that QB, he's the skinny kid our D Lineman crushed with a sack into submission, when we were already up 7-0

OL FU
November 7th, 2017, 03:26 PM
I'm as happy as anyone with this year's results. I think Clay and staff have been remarkable. But maybe it's because I'm an old Furman University Christian Knight but I have seen a lot of ups and downs. Maybe not quite as long of a stretch of downs or mediocrity as the last 10 years, but they have come and gone.

Here's to keeping the coaching staff and keeping things moving forward.

Now I will retire again for a couple of days.:)

Purpleglasses
November 7th, 2017, 03:31 PM
well lets ask it this way...
What SoCon Programs are the biggest benefactor from Furman's absence at the top of the conference?

Chatt- Nope, Furman recruits a different player and typically do not take transfers
ETSU- Furman recruits a different player
Western Carolina-See Chatt
Wofford- Same prep player recruited, and same academic standards
Samford- Same prep player recruited, similar academically, loves transfers
Mercer- Similar to Samford also loves them some transfers
CIT- Similar Athlete
VMI- Similar Athlete

I would say that the athletes that Samford (minus the transfers), Wofford, and Mercer (to some degree) should be a little harder to get when Furman has a consistently winning program.

Mocs123
November 7th, 2017, 03:42 PM
I have always thought Furman posters here were respectful, knowledgeable, and helpful, but most of the posters I have seen the past few weeks I have never seen before.

Furman is probably the SoCons best “name” brand so it is probably good for the conference overall. There is only so much room at the top however and a lot of good teams in the conference who want that top spot.

And for all your academic flack that you give Chattanooga, Huesman recruited smart kids and I am pretty sure we had a better APR than Furman several years and led the conference in FB APR twice recently.

PaladinNation
November 7th, 2017, 03:44 PM
well lets ask it this way...
What SoCon Programs are the biggest benefactor from Furman's absence at the top of the conference?

Chatt- Nope, Furman recruits a different player and typically do not take transfers
ETSU- Furman recruits a different player
Western Carolina-See Chatt
Wofford- Same prep player recruited, and same academic standards
Samford- Same prep player recruited, similar academically, loves transfers
Mercer- Similar to Samford also loves them some transfers
CIT- Similar Athlete
VMI- Similar Athlete

I would say that the athletes that Samford (minus the transfers), Wofford, and Mercer (to some degree) should be a little harder to get when Furman has a consistently winning program.

I would say that Furman under Hendrix appears to be recruiting less and less against Wofford. For a while there -under Bobby Lamb after Clay left - Wofford ate our lunch on recruits. In 2017 and so far this recruiting season Furman appears to be recruiting against the military academies, CAA, Citadel, Chatty and Samford. The biggest difference your seeing right now is the athletic focus on defensive recruiting.

The topic of this thread… makes me feel squirmy… Furman, IMO still has a long ways to go to be back to our perceived glory years. To YT's point times have changed.

Furman during the 10 year slide… was poorly supported by the admin. Our stadium looked and felt old. Our team lost an identity. Our recruiting made some poor judgements on talent and burned a ton of scholarship dollars on some men that never saw the field.

Clay lets the actions on the field speak… we (FU fans) need to do the same. Stay humble my brothers, we've had a great season.

Purpleglasses
November 7th, 2017, 03:48 PM
Try again Mocs on Academics...

http://web1.ncaa.org/maps/aprRelease.jsp

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26445&stc=1
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26446&stc=1

PaladinFan
November 7th, 2017, 03:50 PM
I would say that Furman under Hendrix appears to be recruiting less and less against Wofford. For a while there -under Bobby Lamb after Clay left - Wofford ate our lunch on recruits. In 2017 and so far this recruiting season Furman appears to be recruiting against the military academies, CAA, Citadel, Chatty and Samford. The biggest difference your seeing right now is the athletic focus on defensive recruiting.

The topic of this thread… makes me feel squirmy… Furman, IMO still has a long ways to go to be back to our perceived glory years. To YT's point times have changed.

Furman during the 10 year slide… was poorly supported by the admin. Our stadium looked and felt old. Our team lost an identity. Our recruiting made some poor judgements on talent and burned a ton of scholarship dollars on some men that never saw the field.

Clay lets the actions on the field speak… we (FU fans) need to do the same. Stay humble my brothers, we've had a great season.

It seems counter intuitive, but I've heard the same thing. Furman is not running into Wofford much on the recruiting trail.

I was encouraged by Hendrix's statement early on that he's not going to waste scholarships on players that are not cut out to play at Furman. He will keep scholarships in his "pocket" until the right player comes along. I really like that, as a bad signee at a place like Furman is a big and expensive mistake.

FUwolfpacker
November 7th, 2017, 04:00 PM
I have always thought Furman posters here were respectful, knowledgeable, and helpful, but most of the posters I have seen the past few weeks I have never seen before.

I believe this happens once any team starts to improve. Since you are a UTC fan, chattownmocs comes to mind. Unfortunately, the ones who have come out for us have posted some pretty embarrassing stuff so far.

And for all your academic flack that you give Chattanooga, Huesman recruited smart kids and I am pretty sure we had a better APR than Furman several years and led the conference in FB APR twice recently.

UTC's APR has improved dramatically in the last decade. I have to admit I had forgotten it had gotten that low. Since the 2012-2013 year, their numbers are near the likes of Furman, Wofford, and Samford. However, according to the NCAA site, that's not true. Wofford, Samford, or Mercer (had a 1000 the year of their first report) have led the last 5 years. I haven't seen a lot of the "we're smarter than you because our APR is better!" stuff thrown around here in a while (granted I haven't been as involved here in a long time), nor should it be. Most of the SoCon programs have all seen APR improvements recently, and there isn't a dramatic difference between most of them at this point. To be fair though, those numbers from 2004-2006 were pretty horrendous.

FUwolfpacker
November 7th, 2017, 04:02 PM

This.

Reign of Terrier
November 7th, 2017, 04:03 PM
I honestly don't follow Wofford recruiting, so I can't comment on it.

Having said and probably being the only one here who has graduated from a socon school of high academic caliber in the last 3 years, I can say with certainty that, though our players aren't dumb by any stretch, any school in the socon who says that academics is a barrier to success on the field don't understand how college admissions work (college admissions counselers don't look just at grades or test scores)

Reign of Terrier
November 7th, 2017, 04:07 PM
My pet theory is that Ayers will probably retire in the next 3 years or so and we're going to see a huge change with Wade Lang at the helm, and the style of players we're recruiting is just the beginning. I think we're more athletic than we were 5 years ago, especially on DL and with RBs/receivers. It kind of correlates with us changing our offensive system to be more spread and pass, less option, etc.

I don't have really much to base the Lang bit on, but it feels like this system is a "Wofford system" not a Mike Ayers system just because we have like 2-3 assistants who have been with the program for 15 years

FUGameBreaker
November 7th, 2017, 04:28 PM

That's a pretty generic assessment, good bit of Moc fans not posting this year since early season, and probably won't be back until you guys start winning again, I think most same can be said for every program, and understandably

Reign of Terrier
November 7th, 2017, 06:56 PM
That's a pretty generic assessment, good bit of Moc fans not posting this year since early season, and probably won't be back until you guys start winning again, I think most same can be said for every program, and understandably

To be fair, said annoying Moc fan posted an "oh no we suck again" meme before leaving which seemed like he was being a good sport

gofurman
November 7th, 2017, 07:26 PM
Oh my God, you guys win 6 games and you're already comparing yourself to Alabama

For **** Sake

YT, I agree Purpleglasses post comes off wrong.. and I am a huge FU fan. I get his point but it gets lost w the Bama references etc. One of those thigs where he has a good point but probably shoulda toned it down a little.

I think it should be put this way: Most objective observers would agree (and by objective I have YoungTerrier and many others from Woff, Samford, Western etc) that yes, a resurgent Furman is clearly good for the SoCon

Aren't we all better served if there are several good teams >? YES. Here's a tactful way to say it.. Would we (Socon) rather be viewed as BigSouth or the CAA. Clearly the CAA. And we are close (FU loses to ELon by 3). And each year Furman is strong helps this.

Another point is I think it is good to have one or two easy teams. hard to get up for a big game each week. That's why I actually think it's good we have VMI. No offense meant but everyone needs a game "off". And not that VMI can't beat you - just a level below.

Yes, FU has more tradition, that's factual. Only National Champ in CURRENT SoCon. THREE National Title appearances - 85, 88, 2001.. Most SoCon Titles (13).

And we need more of that. Wofford is helping by making the playoffs as has Citadel recently. Now if we can get WCU and Samford in the mix (overall, not any one year) then we have 4/5 strong teams... and Mercer may get right in there soon.. and ETSU is improving fast...

What really helps is that once in the playoffs - that the teams win a game or three... a little fear I have with Wofford right now that YT etc seem to agree with

stay humble is right. I have posted three or four times: we won 3 games last year.. we have already doubled that.. we are young... let's be happy w where we are - while I would LOVE the playoffs we have gained a lot of respect back based on coaching and the physical north-south game we are imposing. But there is no reason to get under people's skin. Most FU guys on here are good guys and pretty reasonable (see the posts just prior to mine).. unfortunately everyone makes mistakes and I think the original poster meant well - it just wasn't worded right. His theme - that a good FU is good for the SoCon is right in my opinion.

gofurman
November 7th, 2017, 07:44 PM

It seems counter intuitive, but I've heard the same thing. Furman is not running into Wofford much on the recruiting trail.

I was encouraged by Hendrix's statement early on that he's not going to waste scholarships on players that are not cut out to play at Furman. He will keep scholarships in his "pocket" until the right player comes along. I really like that, as a bad signee at a place like Furman is a big and expensive mistake.

---------------------------------------
Yeah, it's kind of odd. We are running a hybrid option - so you would think we would now run up against Wofford MORE in recruiting (option / academics).. instead our signees have not listed Wofford for the most part nearly as much as in the past. Not a 'dis on Wofford in the least. Just an oddity

I noticed that too. Academies - which I like! good kids who can contribute at moderate FBS level - and a few other schools like CAA which is good talent. We just lost our QB recruit to JMU so at least I know we are going for the top ones.. We have a recruit on roster we beat JMU for.. but here is a typical list: Richmond, Samford, AFA, Army, Navy, Elon, FU - chose FU

Purpleglasses
November 8th, 2017, 08:18 AM
To defend, again, my posting and thinking.
Never did I say that Furman was Alabama.
I only used Alabama as an example of the Traditional Power (traditional based on historical record) of a Conference, that had a down period before resurgence.
As GoFurman also agreed, Furman is that Traditional Power (historical record) of the SoCon.

Never will Furman be as dominant as Alabama has been with the parity of FCS and SoCon Football
But a resurgence of the Furman Program is (in my opinion) only a good thing for the SoCon.

If Furman does (and I believe it will) return to a Perennial Playoff team with Coach Hendrix and adding another strong program to the SoCon list of winning programs year in and year out, this will bring better players not just to Furman, but also to other SoCon Schools. The best want to play the best. It will not be the SoCon of the past 10 yrs where it would be Wofford, Chatt, citadel, Samford vying for Playoff spots.

This yr for example, Furman and WCU (who preseason would have suspected these two) complicating the playoff picture.
Mercer is not that far away either, and who knows what ETSU will do.

The SoCon has Parity, and now with Furman and WCU, the potential of Mercer, and Chatt always being loaded with talent...the SoCon could again approach what the MVFC has done the past 10 yrs. From Top to almost the bottom (sorry VMI) it is pretty stout.

To me, that is a welcomed sight...To Furman Fans, we say Finally something to expect again, after hoping and wishing for so long.

I would think the reasonable SoCon fans would say the same, but it will come at the expense of your recent dominance being interrupted from time to time...are you good with that?

Smitty
November 8th, 2017, 08:22 AM
Holy crap what a thread...

I think the biggest benefit for the conference is success year after year. The MVFC is considered the best currently because they are maintaining their success and winning championships. If the SoCon can get more than 2 teams in the poll at the beginning of the year and win their OOC games, that would be the best. It doesn't matter if Furman is back or not...

LarryBoy
November 8th, 2017, 08:31 AM
To defend, again, my posting and thinking.
Never did I say that Furman was Alabama.
I only used Alabama as an example of the Traditional Power (traditional based on historical record) of a Conference, that had a down period before resurgence.
As GoFurman also agreed, Furman is that Traditional Power (historical record) of the SoCon.

Never will Furman be as dominant as Alabama has been with the parity of FCS and SoCon Football
But a resurgence of the Furman Program is (in my opinion) only a good thing for the SoCon.

If Furman does (and I believe it will) return to a Perennial Playoff team with Coach Hendrix and adding another strong program to the SoCon list of winning programs year in and year out, this will bring better players not just to Furman, but also to other SoCon Schools. The best want to play the best. It will not be the SoCon of the past 10 yrs where it would be Wofford, Chatt, citadel, Samford vying for Playoff spots.

This yr for example, Furman and WCU (who preseason would have suspected these two) complicating the playoff picture.
Mercer is not that far away either, and who knows what ETSU will do.

The SoCon has Parity, and now with Furman and WCU, the potential of Mercer, and Chatt always being loaded with talent...the SoCon could again approach what the MVFC has done the past 10 yrs. From Top to almost the bottom (sorry VMI) it is pretty stout.

To me, that is a welcomed sight...To Furman Fans, we say Finally something to expect again, after hoping and wishing for so long.

I would think the reasonable SoCon fans would say the same, but it will come at the expense of your recent dominance being interrupted from time to time...are you good with that?

Purpleglasses, you did ask some interesting questions, so it’s not that your post was unwarranted.

But,

A) Whether or not you meant to “compare Furman to Alabama,” (relative to FCS) that’s really just not somewhere anyone should go. The wolves will come out. Don’t even say “Alabama,” unless the sentence is “But yeah, we would get stomped by Alabama.”

B) Most everyone on AGS has taken note of the surge of overexcited Furman fans that have come out of the woodwork during Furman’s 6-game winning streak. A winning streak notwithstanding, now is not the time to think about “A Furman resurgence.” On the inside of the Furman bubble, we’re all excited. We see good things. We feel like the trend points toward continued success. It feels so much better than what has been going on during the last decade. But outside the Furman bubble, people look at these posts and think “geez, where do they get off?” Furman hasn’t accomplished anything yet. We could finish 6-5 really, really easily.

If Furman makes a playoff run, then there will probably be context to talk about a Furman resurgence.

I’m really not trying to stomp on anyone’s enthusiasm (I know it may seem that way, as I’ve made a few posts talking about this as of late), but within the context of this actually-decent football community, be careful to not prematurely take a victory lap. You’ll end up eating way more crow than you’d like. Though some people are cool with that. And if you’re cool with that, then you do you.

As for me, I think it’s good to not get ahead of myself and accidentally annoy everyone else. So instead, I guess I’m just annoying my fellow Furman fans. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PaladinFan
November 8th, 2017, 08:35 AM
I'm just hoping the same folks come back here and take their medicine if Furman loses.

Purpleglasses
November 8th, 2017, 08:40 AM
I'll be here...and just because I am a new Contributor to the forum, does not mean that by any means I am a fair weather blow-hard...
I also am not the Furman Fan that is always waiting for the other shoe to drop...I am an optimist, pessimism does not pay, and only cost you...
I am active on another forum, and I also like to have threads that actually have a life, and conversation.

and as always Go Din's

PaladinFan
November 8th, 2017, 08:45 AM
I'll be here...and just because I am a new Contributor to the forum, does not mean that by any means I am a fair weather blow-hard...
I also am not the Furman Fan that is always waiting for the other shoe to drop...I am an optimist, pessimism does not pay, and only cost you...
I am active on another forum, and I also like to have threads that actually have a life, and conversation.

and as always Go Din's

By all means, Furman fans are welcome. I just find a lot of team's fans that show up on this forum in the good times tend to disappear in the bad times.

longtimemocfan
November 8th, 2017, 08:46 AM
Actually the bigger story would be seeing Western Carolina make the playoffs. It’s been correct me if I’m wrong 1983 ?. It’s good to see the resurgence as a whole for the SoCon. Nothing wrong with parity. Next year could see even more of it. I just hope it’s more like last year 4 playoff teams.

wcugrad95
November 8th, 2017, 08:54 AM
1983 as the only appearance by WCU - we parlayed that into a run to the Championship game, but really left all we had on the field in a semifinal win against..... Furman. Western has had a number of other close calls since then, but every time we have come up short with only 7 wins and often a late season loss (3 of the 4 years I was there we had playoff chances with 2 weeks to go - this year we will have at least 7 wins for 3 out of the past 4 seasons).

walliver
November 8th, 2017, 09:06 AM
Yeah, but you didn't answer the question. Are you really happy with Furman's resurgence?

I really don't worry that much as long as they lose to us.

The SoCon has been somewhat rudderless since the large heathen universities left. Chatty and Sammy have been good, but never dominant. Consistently good programs are good for the conference.

On the other hand, I remember the FU excitement after the 2013 finish, and the letdown of 2014, 2015 and 2016. I'll worry about how good Furman is in December, at the earliest.

walliver
November 8th, 2017, 09:09 AM
Actually the bigger story would be seeing Western Carolina make the playoffs. It’s been correct me if I’m wrong 1983 ?. It’s good to see the resurgence as a whole for the SoCon. Nothing wrong with parity. Next year could see even more of it. I just hope it’s more like last year 4 playoff teams.

I remember when, for years, most power rankings were easy to do be simply placing Sammy at 5th, Citadel at 6th, WCU, Chatty at 7th and 8th (in either order) and VMI/Elon at #9. The times they are a'changing.

Reign of Terrier
November 8th, 2017, 09:37 AM
To be clear though: even if Furman makes the playoffs and goes on a run, I'm not going to say they're "back" until I see some more success (if they win the national title this year I will retract this statement, but I don't think they will).

I think a lot of their success this year has to do with PJ Blazejowski who is a very very good QB who was underused in Fowler's tenure. He's the rare combination that can run and pass and I'll be interested to see if Hendrix continues to recruit that sort of player.

There are a lot of examples of coaches coming in, winning with prior coaches' players and laying an egg with their own recruits. I think that's highly unlikely with Hendrix, but worth keeping in the back of one's mind. I think a more likely explanation is that Blazejowski is the Jaybo Shaw of Furman right now, and Furman's going to fine after he graduates, but going forward it will be a different offensive attack

PaladinFan
November 8th, 2017, 10:06 AM
To be clear though: even if Furman makes the playoffs and goes on a run, I'm not going to say they're "back" until I see some more success (if they win the national title this year I will retract this statement, but I don't think they will).

I think a lot of their success this year has to do with PJ Blazejowski who is a very very good QB who was underused in Fowler's tenure. He's the rare combination that can run and pass and I'll be interested to see if Hendrix continues to recruit that sort of player.

There are a lot of examples of coaches coming in, winning with prior coaches' players and laying an egg with their own recruits. I think that's highly unlikely with Hendrix, but worth keeping in the back of one's mind. I think a more likely explanation is that Blazejowski is the Jaybo Shaw of Furman right now, and Furman's going to fine after he graduates, but going forward it will be a different offensive attack

Blazejowski is a completely different player this year than he has been in the past. His decision making and recognition are off the charts. He threw an interception against WCU that was quite honestly one of the only bad decisions I have seen him make all season.

Furman had a commit from a really good looking QB from NC named Hayden Mann. Mann was offered by James Madison after committing to Furman, and flipped his commitment to the Dukes last week. Mann was a good combination of running and passing, which is where I think Furman will try to focus.

Actually, I could see Furman using next year as a time to look at a transfer QB. Furman will return virtually everyone off this roster, but the one glaring question mark will be at QB (sort of the same situation we were in after the 2003 season when Martin arrived). With the current roster, though, we do have a R-JR named Harris Roberts.

Roberts is a different player, and 4 inches taller than Blazejowski, but Furman has run him out there in every game this season. One thing I like that Hendrix has done this year is get the backup QB in the game when he can. Roberts has a good arm and can run a good bit, so it is nice to see the coaching staff evaluate him in game situations.

BearDownMU
November 8th, 2017, 10:30 AM
I honestly don't follow Wofford recruiting, so I can't comment on it.

Having said and probably being the only one here who has graduated from a socon school of high academic caliber in the last 3 years, I can say with certainty that, though our players aren't dumb by any stretch, any school in the socon who says that academics is a barrier to success on the field don't understand how college admissions work (college admissions counselers don't look just at grades or test scores)

As someone who was an Assistant Director of Admission at a SoCon (now) school and also worked with athletic recruiting for 4 years (and was an athletic recruit himself back in the day), I don't know that I agree with your sentiment.

longtimemocfan
November 8th, 2017, 10:39 AM
I'm just hoping the same folks come back here and take their medicine if Furman loses.

The “bandwagon fans” oh yes everybody has them, but not too many return after adversity hits.

longtimemocfan
November 8th, 2017, 10:41 AM
I remember when, for years, most power rankings were easy to do be simply placing Sammy at 5th, Citadel at 6th, WCU, Chatty at 7th and 8th (in either order) and VMI/Elon at #9. The times they are a'changing.

Haven’t broke it all down, but I think most of the teams will get only better next year.

walliver
November 8th, 2017, 10:49 AM
Haven’t broke it all down, but I think most of the teams will get only better next year.

You're probably right. One thing about the SoCon the last few years is that most teams are "young", and I wonder where all the seniors went. Most teams have a few key seniors, but there are few senior-dominated teams like those common 10 years ago. The graduate transfer rule has had some effect, but it seems as if every team is recruiting younger players who beat out the older guys for playing time.

Reign of Terrier
November 8th, 2017, 10:51 AM
As someone who was an Assistant Director of Admission at a SoCon (now) school and also worked with athletic recruiting for 4 years (and was an athletic recruit himself back in the day), I don't know that I agree with your sentiment.

I'm not going to pretend to know the nuances of college admissions, but my point was that exceptions are made everywhere and good athletes aren't as bad grade-wise as people think. Not saying that Socon schools will let just anyone play/go to school there, just that the high brow Wofford/Furman people (let's be real, that's who do it) who feign their academic standards as a giant hurdle are sandbagging in more ways than one.

Reign of Terrier
November 8th, 2017, 10:54 AM
Also, I'd bank on competitiveness in the Socon for the next 3-5 years in every team but VMI (they don't have the resources right now to be competitive as some VMI posters have pointed out). The fact that every team in the conference except VMI *expects to be competitive* goes a long way for heart.

I remember many Western Carolina and Chattanooga teams who would just give up in the second or third quarter if they were down 3 scores or so (if you can find the film of the 2008 Wofford-Chattanooga game that was televised, the commentators talk about it and it's obvious once they do so). You wouldn't see that now.

BearDownMU
November 8th, 2017, 10:55 AM
I'm not going to pretend to know the nuances of college admissions, but my point was that exceptions are made everywhere and good athletes aren't as bad grade-wise as people think. Not saying that Socon schools will let just anyone play/go to school there, just that the high brow Wofford/Furman people (let's be real, that's who do it) who feign their academic standards as a giant hurdle are sandbagging in more ways than one.

Certainly it may be overstated, and I can only speak regarding Mercer, because that's where I worked, but I can tell you this, Mercer has a minimum standard for admission specifically attached to grades and scores, and we could absolutely not make exceptions for athletes. And I know for a fact that minimum standard is higher than some other schools in the conference, and around the region for that matter. There were more than a few angry phone calls I had with coaches because we denied a highly desirable recruit based on their academic record, and they ended up at another school in the conference.

Now, does that make it monumentally harder to recruit? Debatable. But it certainly doesn't make it easier.

ElCid
November 8th, 2017, 11:01 AM
You're probably right. One thing about the SoCon the last few years is that most teams are "young", and I wonder where all the seniors went. Most teams have a few key seniors, but there are few senior-dominated teams like those common 10 years ago. The graduate transfer rule has had some effect, but it seems as if every team is recruiting younger players who beat out the older guys for playing time.

Yeah, it seems like everyone is young. Our D was kind of older, but our O had many F, RSF, and So on it. I think it was like 16 out 22 on the O two deep. Have to check. Going to be a few interesting years coming up.

Reign of Terrier
November 8th, 2017, 11:03 AM
Certainly it may be overstated, and I can only speak regarding Mercer, because that's where I worked, but I can tell you this, Mercer has a minimum standard for admission specifically attached to grades and scores, and we could absolutely not make exceptions for athletes. And I know for a fact that minimum standard is higher than some other schools in the conference, and around the region for that matter. There were more than a few angry phone calls I had with coaches because we denied a highly desirable recruit based on their academic record, and they ended up at another school in the conference.

Now, does that make it monumentally harder to recruit? Debatable. But it certainly doesn't make it easier.

For what it's worth, Furman and Wofford are now test-optional (Furman's been for a few years, Wofford just recently and had been debating it behind the scenes for a couple years which suggests to me SAT/ACT weren't as weighted as they could be--but that's speculative).

I just think anyone who says that academics are a barrier to success underestimates the academic standards of other institutions and academic achievement capability of good athletes. Without the dumb jock stereotype it probably wouldn't be a thing. At my high school, all of the athletes who went D1 (Quinshad Davis, UNC, Shonquelle Byars, Presbyterian) and had the best chances of doing so on the field were also great in the classroom.

PaladinFan
November 8th, 2017, 11:04 AM
Yeah, it seems like everyone is young. Our D was kind of older, but our O had many F, RSF, and So on it. I think it was like 16 out 22 on the O two deep. Have to check. Going to be a few interesting years coming up.

Furman had a bunch of seniors last year and stunk. By no means were we young.

We are definitely young this year. I don't know if Furman is the youngest team in the FCS, but I bet they are pretty daggum close.

kdinva
November 8th, 2017, 11:33 AM
The fact that every team in the conference except VMI *expects to be competitive*......

some things I have heard second-hand from Lexington.

**The brass has told Coach Wach that a set percentage of his roster has to be Virginia kids. IE: If a grant in aid comes down to a kid from out of state who was 2nd team All-State, versus a Virginia kid who was only 1st team All-Conference, the Va. kid had to be offered....and signed.

**VMI does not get the full allowed 20 hours/week to coach the players....

**and this is fact: 9th semester players/cadets have to still take 12 credit hours, not the NCAA approved 6 to still play sports as a R-Sr....VMI loses about 5 kids each May because of this VMI rule....

ElCid
November 8th, 2017, 11:55 AM

**The brass has told Coach Wach that a set percentage of his roster has to be Virginia kids. IE: If a grant in aid comes down to a kid from out of state who was 2nd team All-State, versus a Virginia kid who was only 1st team All-Conference, the Va. kid had to be offered....and signed.

**and this is fact: 9th semester players/cadets have to still take 12 credit hours, not the NCAA approved 6 to still play sports as a R-Sr....VMI loses about 5 kids each May because of this VMI rule....

These are not all bad things, just standards and policies. I will never bash standards. If you can't get it done being you, changing just to win means, you aren't winning.

PaladinFan
November 8th, 2017, 11:59 AM
These are not all bad things, just standards and policies. I will never bash standards. If you can't get it done being you, changing just to win means, you aren't winning.

There's no question VMI is under different restrictions, but why stay in the SoCon? Isn't that sort of why they left in the first place?

I'm not bashing VMI here, but realistically, what are they adding right now? They are the longest road trip for virtually every conference school and are getting hammered in nearly every sport.

wcugrad95
November 8th, 2017, 12:01 PM
I always marvel at the dedication kids have at places like VMI and Citadel. I know they are getting a "free" education at quality institutions that they will benefit from, but many of those kids could get that at another school where they don't have all of the additional requirements put on them. I want to beat you guys every time we play either of you, but as a former (short-lived) college player who knows the rigors placed on athletes, I salute all the kids in all of the sports playing at both these schools.

Reign of Terrier
November 8th, 2017, 12:17 PM
If I were VMI I would seriously consider the D2 or D3 route. Take the money you lose for scholarships and put to pay better coaches (I feel like at that level that's what matters)

smallcollegefbfan
November 8th, 2017, 12:22 PM

It is not dangerous LOL. It is a good thing. Furman needs to win and be successful. If Wofford and Furman don't play well then the league is definitely going to be thin. UTC has fallen back to what they were before Huesman and now it is just Samford and The Citadel if you guys and Wofford had not bounced back into top 25 powers. The only thing that you guys winning hurts is the changes of Citadel and Mercer having playoff caliber teams but I expect you guys to be in the top 25 and when you aren't worthy of a vote I'm disappointed. You guys are like Montana, NDSU, Delaware, Sam Houston State, NC A&T, UNI, UNH, etc who I come to expect to have a top 25 program.

smallcollegefbfan
November 8th, 2017, 12:23 PM
If I were VMI I would seriously consider the D2 or D3 route. Take the money you lose for scholarships and put to pay better coaches (I feel like at that level that's what matters)

I agree. Citadel and VMI would be good in the SAC with Newberry, Wingate, Mars Hill, etc. I feel like one change that needs to come to CFB is that schools who are alike should be together or go where they fit in financially in terms of budget and money they make.

Reign of Terrier
November 8th, 2017, 12:27 PM
I agree. Citadel and VMI would be good in the SAC with Newberry, Wingate, Mars Hill, etc. I feel like one change that needs to come to CFB is that schools who are alike should be together or go where they fit in financially in terms of budget and money they make.

The difference between the Citadel and VMI is 1) I'm pretty sure the Citadel has more support for their athletics and 2) Charleston > Lexington ANNNNYYYYY DAY

PaladinFan
November 8th, 2017, 12:30 PM
The difference between the Citadel and VMI is 1) I'm pretty sure the Citadel has more support for their athletics and 2) Charleston > Lexington ANNNNYYYYY DAY

As a practical matter, I'm sure their fans are tired of losing.

The SoCon hasn't always been stuffed full of great football programs, but most of those that weren't good in football were generally good in something else. I don't see that with VMI and I don't really see it changing either.

ElCid
November 8th, 2017, 12:34 PM

If you think The Citadel has the same issues. You do not have a clue.

tenNesseeCat
November 8th, 2017, 02:21 PM
xwhistlex...drop VMI and add JSU...xwhistlex

somewhere, citdog be like...
https://static.squarespace.com/static/51b3dc8ee4b051b96ceb10de/51ce6099e4b0d911b4489b79/51ce61b3e4b0d911b449db1b/1323042587933/1000w/explodingheadmont.png

I was a little confused when the SoCon brought VMI back, on both accounts. If I remember correctly, they played some pretty exciting basketball though. I feel similar to wcugrad95, I have a lot of respect for those guys schedules and commitment. Do most grads go on to the military?

kdinva
November 8th, 2017, 05:36 PM

I bet every other school in the NCAA, including the Ivies, uses all 20 hours for the team, and no other school makes 9th semester students/cadets take 12 hours.....it is a policy (not standard) that needs adjusting.

How many Citadel 9th semester students (who play sports) take 12 hours? I bet zero....

kdinva
November 8th, 2017, 05:37 PM
.....I was a little confused when the SoCon brought VMI back, on both accounts. If I remember correctly, they played some pretty exciting basketball though. I feel similar to wcugrad95, I have a lot of respect for those guys schedules and commitment. Do most grads go on to the military?

about 60% of VMI grads go into the Military, including Reserves....

AshevilleApp2
November 8th, 2017, 05:37 PM
Both App and GSU finished middle of the pack in the SoCon in 2013. A lot of excuses were made from them, but that GSU team also was the one that beat Florida. Couldn't beat Furman but could beat Florida?

Both of those teams finished at the top of the SunBelt the next season.

App finished 6-5 the next season, not near the top of the Sun Belt.

FUGameBreaker
November 8th, 2017, 06:01 PM
How I feel about Furman's resurgence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiUO_Vxv4sI

Reign of Terrier
November 8th, 2017, 07:33 PM
I bet every other school in the NCAA, including the Ivies, uses all 20 hours for the team, and no other school makes 9th semester students/cadets take 12 hours.....it is a policy (not standard) that needs adjusting.

How many Citadel 9th semester students (who play sports) take 12 hours? I bet zero....

I'm pretty sure Wofford super seniors (what we call fifth years) do. You need to be a full-time student to live on campus (as 90% of the students do for all 4 + years, which includes seniors). To do so it's 12 hours.

I could be wrong though.

gofurman
November 8th, 2017, 08:09 PM

I admire your standards. Hope you can get a little better in football but sometimes schools w tough things (like VMI) ought to focus on bball where 2 or 3 guys can make it happen. Just a note to say I admire VMI and their kids.

curious - you play football there?

gofurman
November 8th, 2017, 08:14 PM

and as always Go Din's

agree with that - I see you on that other forum.. I think it's the one you are talking about

ElCid
November 9th, 2017, 06:58 AM

I get it. I have spoken to a bunch of VMI grads and these items have always been a sore spot with many of them.

But on a lighter note, ..... I was a only a 4 year man and I took 12 my 8th semester. Loaded up junior year and got ahead where able because I wanted to be sure I had plenty of time for frivolity at the end. 24 hours is a killer.

soconjohn5
November 11th, 2017, 08:36 PM
Let's be clear here....Furman just beat the two-time defending SoCon champs 56-20...They have the fastest coach to 200 wins in HS football history on staff, and he had more state titles than losses in his career....Furman is back whether anyone wants to acknowledge it or not...Wofford should be worried...Citadel should be worried...Furman has pretty much out-schemed every opponent it has faced this season, just like the days of Satterfield, Sheridan and Johnson...Not saying Furman is Bama, but in the history of this league...No other program holds a candle to Furman....That's just facts...That's reality....Now, there are excellent coaches and athletes in the SoCon, but I would put Furman's staff and athletes up against any current staff and athletes in this league...They have proven that this season so far.

Reign of Terrier
November 11th, 2017, 09:14 PM
Oh God here we go again.

Reign of Terrier
November 11th, 2017, 09:17 PM
I will say this though: The reason why Furman is/will be successful has nothing to do with the fact that they won a bunch of games in the 80s/90s or that they wear purple and are called Furman.

It's because they have a damn good coach and the execute their offensive gameplan

PaladinFan
November 11th, 2017, 09:21 PM
I will say this though: The reason why Furman is/will be successful has nothing to do with the fact that they won a bunch of games in the 80s/90s or that they wear purple and are called Furman.

It's because they have a damn good coach and the execute their offensive gameplan

Well, true. The head coach was part of the success in the 80s and 90s of course.

soconjohn5
November 11th, 2017, 10:36 PM
Exactly my point Paladinfan...And George Quarles was also an important part of that success as a player in the late 1980s.

FUGameBreaker
November 11th, 2017, 11:18 PM
Dins Roll!

gofurman
November 12th, 2017, 03:44 AM

I agree. However, Everyone always says Furman was great in 80s/90s. We played for the national title in 2001. That is the most recent national title appearance of any current SoCon member yet somehow is always forgotten. Only Western has played for national title of other SoCon teams and that way before 2001

We were in the semifinals and lost a heartbreaker at App in 2005 on goal line where ingle Martin just slipped walking into endzone for the win. App won title in next game. We could easily have won a natty in 2004 or 2005. In 2004 we lost by one point to JMU who cruised to the title after our game. We were walking into endzone to win and fumbled or we beat JMU. Later heard their coach say Furman was the toughest out in playoffs that year.