PDA

View Full Version : Tales from the Recruiting Trail - UCA

TexasTerror
February 10th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Really enjoyed this article from the Log Cabin Democrat out of Conway, AR regarding UCA recruiting. I'll post the first tale, which I think speaks to what many of you say about FCS recruiting (talking to FBS players now who may eventually transfer) and you guys can click on the link to read the rest...

---------------
BUILDING A SAFETY NET: UCA coach Clint Conque calls it "insurance recruiting."

During one trip late in the process, Conque stopped by a high school to visit a standout wide receiver he knew he wasn't going to get (who eventually signed with Tennessee) to congratulate the youngster on his decision and wish him well in the future. Conque said school officials, used to seeing high-profile coaches from big-name schools, had trouble figuring him out. "They kept asking me if I was from UCLA or something," he said. "They couldn't connect with UCA."

It's a matter of maintaining a relationship and a line of communication. And just in case things don't work out at School A, the youngster knows where to find Conque. He and his staff have a good track record of getting transfers who have made an impact.

A bunch of marriage contracts were signed Wednesday. UCA has 27 new ones. Realistically, some of those will not work out - for dozens of reasons from personal life to coaching changes. It's the same everywhere.

"Several players go to bigger schools and things just don't work out in the end," Conque said. "And sometimes, a youngster just needs a breath of fresh air. Look at the Furman and James Madison and Youngstown State and Montana, teams that are very successful on our level. They have a long-term success rate of transfers."

http://www.thecabin.net/stories/021007/spo_0210070035.shtml

Lionsrking
February 10th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Really enjoyed this article from the Log Cabin Democrat out of Conway, AR regarding UCA recruiting. I'll post the first tale, which I think speaks to what many of you say about FCS recruiting (talking to FBS players now who may eventually transfer) and you guys can click on the link to read the rest...

---------------
BUILDING A SAFETY NET: UCA coach Clint Conque calls it "insurance recruiting."

During one trip late in the process, Conque stopped by a high school to visit a standout wide receiver he knew he wasn't going to get (who eventually signed with Tennessee) to congratulate the youngster on his decision and wish him well in the future. Conque said school officials, used to seeing high-profile coaches from big-name schools, had trouble figuring him out. "They kept asking me if I was from UCLA or something," he said. "They couldn't connect with UCA."

It's a matter of maintaining a relationship and a line of communication. And just in case things don't work out at School A, the youngster knows where to find Conque. He and his staff have a good track record of getting transfers who have made an impact.

A bunch of marriage contracts were signed Wednesday. UCA has 27 new ones. Realistically, some of those will not work out - for dozens of reasons from personal life to coaching changes. It's the same everywhere.

"Several players go to bigger schools and things just don't work out in the end," Conque said. "And sometimes, a youngster just needs a breath of fresh air. Look at the Furman and James Madison and Youngstown State and Montana, teams that are very successful on our level. They have a long-term success rate of transfers."

http://www.thecabin.net/stories/021007/spo_0210070035.shtml

I think most of us do that. I know our coaches routinely throw their hat in the ring with higher profile recruits because you never know how things will turn out. Obviously you don't want to dip into your budget or short yourself time with someone you can get, but it's worth a try if you don't have to go out of your way.

BobbyMo
February 10th, 2007, 11:41 PM
Obviously you don't want to dip into your budget or short yourself time with someone you can get, but it's worth a try if you don't have to go out of your way.

Not much to add, but i think this is standard. Depending on what level you are at, you always make reaches. You know you do not really have shot, but if they are local boys you might be able to get them on the "rebound".