PDA

View Full Version : Hauck Signs the Dotted Line

TexasTerror
February 10th, 2007, 06:25 AM
Hauck is going to renegotiate after this coming year. Seems a bit low for a base salary at Montana, even with all those extras thrown in. Hopefully he can take care of himself and his assistants better...

---------------
Hauck signs 1-year deal

By Gazette News Services
MISSOULA - Montana football coach Bobby Hauck signed a one-year contract Friday, rejecting a three-year deal the school offered last fall.

The contract calls for a base salary of $124,200, plus radio and television and football camp revenue, incentives for attendance and academic success and other benefits. It includes an option to re-negotiate a multiyear deal after the 2007 football season, athletic director Jim O'Day said Friday.

"It should end any speculation or distraction and will give us more time to address areas within the proposed three-year agreement that might be of concern to Bobby or the university," O'Day said.

Hauck objected to the buyout clause that required UM be paid 100 percent of the remainder of the contract should Hauck leave for another job. He has also said his assistant's salaries were too low.

http://www.billingsgazette.net/articles/2007/02/10/sports/local/56-hauck.txt

Ronbo
February 10th, 2007, 12:10 PM
He got a $15,000 bonus for making it to the semi's this year, plus he makes good money from the TV, Radio, and Football Camps. That $124,000 is probably $200,000 with all things added in. He also gets a complimentary 2007 SUV to drive year round.

Cleets
February 10th, 2007, 12:13 PM
The Griz could get a big name coach... I never understood why they hired Hauck...

?

-

th0m
February 10th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Names don't win games.

Cleets
February 10th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Names don't win games.

True Dat...

I'm just sayin' there are only a handful of programs at our level (1-aa) that could capture a real big program guy, the Griz are one of them...

Not criticizing them just wondering...

-

Sir William
February 10th, 2007, 12:22 PM
He got a $15,000 bonus for making it to the semi's this year, plus he makes good money from the TV, Radio, and Football Camps. That $124,000 is probably $200,000 with all things added in. He also gets a complimentary 2007 SUV to drive year round.

Heck, I'd be happy to coach the Griz in beautiful big sky country at Wa-Griz stadium for that kind of package. I'd even do everything I could to schedule App, Furman, JMU, YSU, etc. My resume is in the mail.

From a Furman alum to Griz nation: I was at the 2001 championship game between the Paladins and the Griz, and one thing I took away from that game (besides the heartbreaking loss) was that Montana has great fans who have class. (Wasn't at the MSU-Furman playoff game this year, but I heard that MSU fans are pretty nice too.) Anyway, I bleed Furman purple, but I cheer for the Griz too...unless we play ya. :)

February 10th, 2007, 09:05 PM
I'm just sayin' there are only a handful of programs at our level (1-aa) that could capture a real big program guy, the Griz are one of them...Well, our level (FBS) has a bunch of "big program"s that have "big program" coaches. Hauck is a Montana guy, it is a no-brainer for him to be UM's coach... and his brother to be there too. Montana went to great lengths to get Hauck what he wanted and this deal will get done or Bobby will be gone.

Mr. C
February 10th, 2007, 11:32 PM
I wonder if this is marriage destined for divorce. Hauck is gambling a lot on this season. But if he comes up big and makes it to Chattanooga, he will have some bargaining chips. Ever since his comments in 2004, I've expected his remaining time to be short in Missoula.

Peems
February 11th, 2007, 06:06 PM
I wonder if this is marriage destined for divorce. Hauck is gambling a lot on this season. But if he comes up big and makes it to Chattanooga, he will have some bargaining chips. Ever since his comments in 2004, I've expected his remaining time to be short in Missoula.

we all expect him to be gone soon. this deal means one thing...we do the same **** next year. Next year will be his best team to date and if he wins the big one, he will be gone. he already threw his hat in for a couple of jobs and once he has all the "chips" he will be gone, dont expect Hauck to stick around(hell dont expect any griz coach to stick around: smh : ) but it goes with the territory

jmuroller
February 11th, 2007, 06:32 PM
He makes 75k in incentives? Thats alot.

GOKATS
February 11th, 2007, 07:46 PM
He makes 75k in incentives? Thats alot.

Very doubtful, probably more in the $20-30 range. Consider the source.:smiley_wi

Ronbo
February 11th, 2007, 10:45 PM
Well smart arse. When Hauck was at $105K base he was taking in $150K with TV, Radio, and Camp salaries. That was before any playoff incentives. Now he has a raise to $124,000 plus he made $15,000 for making the semi's. He should be around $184,000 now with playoff money and $170,000 without.

Proud Griz Man
February 11th, 2007, 11:32 PM

If the Griz win 80% -90% of their games, his players get good grades and graduate, and the program is run in a clean manner, why wouldn't Bobby Hauck be sought after by other schools?

Gambling? If he makes it to Chattanooga he has bargaining power. If he doesn't, then what?

Mr. C
February 12th, 2007, 12:17 AM
If the Griz win 80% -90% of their games, his players get good grades and graduate, and the program is run in a clean manner, why wouldn't Bobby Hauck be sought after by other schools?

Gambling? If he makes it to Chattanooga he has bargaining power. If he doesn't, then what?
He had a chance to negotiate a longer deal and didn't accept it. There seems to be some acrimony between Hauck and some of the Montana people. If the Griz don't make it deep into the playoffs, there are going to be a lot of unhappy folks in Missoula. He hasn't improved his job security, which has been a key source of his displeasure at things.

Tailbone
February 12th, 2007, 01:43 AM
He had a chance to negotiate a longer deal and didn't accept it.

Actually, i don't think there was any negotiating involved. O'day made an offer to be accepted or rejected - Hauck rejected it. I suspect the deal killer was more a case of an unreasonable buy-out clause than anything else, It's basically a one sided deal that makes any career movement more difficult and does little to provide for his assistants. If the offer is actually what I understand it to be....I wouldn't sign it either and don't blame him for his decision.

There seems to be some acrimony between Hauck and some of the Montana people.

Can you be more specific? I'm sure there are those who feel that he should place loyalty to the University and the State above what's best for his family and staff. I'm sure that there are those who resent his directness with regards to his career ambitions. I know there are many (fans) who feel that they could do a better job of coaching (especially as it pertains to making staff personnel decisions......meaning replacing the OC)

If the Griz don't make it deep into the playoffs, there are going to be a lot of unhappy folks in Missoula.

That's true every year, what else is new? Incredibly, there are folks who would be unhappy with the resulting situation if the Griz were to win another NC (as it would mean that Hauck might stay longer). Some people aren't happy unless they're.....unhappy.

He hasn't improved his job security, which has been a key source of his displeasure at things.

Job security is an illusion, especially in a place like Montana.
A 3 year contract provides little to the head coach and nothing to the assistants (Axman, the QB coach, was paid 15K last year....3 years of that will only result in poverty)

Bottom line: the contract sucked and was designed to extort money from anyone who would hire Hauck. If that isn't a reasonable basis for acrimony, I don't know what is!

February 12th, 2007, 01:57 AM
... Bottom line: the contract sucked and was designed to extort money from anyone who would hire Hauck. If that isn't a reasonable basis for acrimony, I don't know what is!C'mon tailbone, post some facts here please. Extortion is a big word without proof.

Tailbone
February 12th, 2007, 09:37 AM
C'mon tailbone, post some facts here please. Extortion is a big word without proof.

Hah! you've asked me to ascribe a motive to an event that hasn't yet occured - a tough order for even God or Captain Cat (are they one and the same, or does God just think he's the Captain?). In any event, the 100% buy-out is not merely unprecedented, it's punitive. If extortion is defined as an "exorbitant charge", or "unjust exaction" (Definition (wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn)) then the terms of this contract definitely qualify.

Grizzaholic
February 13th, 2007, 02:25 PM

With the current schedule, if we win 80%-90% of our games we just might crack the top 25.