PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 10-30

JALMOND
October 31st, 2017, 12:57 AM
Are we getting a clear picture now of the Big Sky conference race? I certainly hope so, but one has to wonder, especially with EWU and Montana not exerting their dominance this late in the season. Instead the conference is stuck with the likes of NAU, Weber State and Southern Utah to carry the banner. So here we go. Here are this week's power rankings (last week in parenthesis). Still a lot of football to play.

1. Northern Arizona (1)---Last week beat Sacramento State at home 37-17, this week at Montana---Still no signs of a swoon on the Lumberjacks's part so far this season. They seem to be rolling over everyone that is in front of them. However, they go on the road this week into hostile territory.

2. Southern Utah (3)---Last week won at Northern Colorado 27-14, this week North Dakota at home---So maybe it wasn't quite the strong win the Thunderbirds were hoping for, but at this point a win on the road in the conference is a good win. They come home this week to pick on North Dakota.

3. Weber State (4)---Last week beat Montana at home 41-27, this week at Eastern Washington---No rest for the Wildcats now. After a somewhat impressive win last week, they have to hit the road and play another strong conference heavyweight this weekend. If anything, it should prepare them.

4. Eastern Washington (5)---Last week bye, this week Weber State at home---The week of rest could not come soon enough for the Eagles, especially coming down the stretch starting this weekend with Weber State at home. The Eagles have shown glimpses, they now have to produce.

5. Montana (2)---Last week lost at Weber State 41-27, this week Northern Arizona at home---The strong part of the schedule for the Grizzlies started with a loss on the road last weekend. Thankfully, they return home with a strong opponent coming to town.

6. Montana State (7)---Last week beat Idaho State at home 28-14, this week Kennesaw State (Big South) at home---After a tough conference win at home, the Bobcats take a break from conference play and birng in a good opponent from the Big South. They still need a win to stay playoff eligible.

7. Sacramento State (6)---Last week lost at Northern Arizona 37-17, this week Northern Colorado at home---The Hornets were hoping to take a big step forward this season with a good road win last weekend, but it didn't happen. They now get what should be an easy one this weekend.

8. Idaho State (8)---Last week lost at Montana State 28-14, this week UC-Davis at home---Having looked better than they have in recent memory, the Bengals gave all they had to get a win last week, only to come up short. They come home to maybe an easier opponent.

9. North Dakota (10)---Last week won at Portland State 48-21, this week at Southern Utah---Maybe the Hawks are finally beginning to gel, with all the injuries and such. Or maybe it is that they finally got a feel-good win on the road. Either way, they stay on the road this weekend.

10. UC-Davis (9)---Last week beat Cal Poly at home 31-28, this week at Idaho State---The Aggies have shown they can scare just about anyone, including their own fans. Running a bit hot and cold, they head out on the road this week for a tough showdown. A win would be great.

11. Northern Colorado (11)---Last week lost to Southern Utah at home 27-14, this week at Sacramento State---One week the Bears offense looks great, but they can't stop anyone. The next week the defense shuts down the opponent, yet the offense can't get on track. Which team will show up this weekend.

12. Cal Poly (13)---Last week lost at UC-Davis 31-28, this week Portland State at home---Again, so close and again, not quite for the Mustangs. Rallying for a chance at a nice road win, they just fall short of their goal. Still their best shot at a win has to be this weekend as they return home.

13. Portland State (12)---Last week lost to North Dakota at home 48-21, this week at Cal Poly---Things going from bad to worse for the Vikings. What seemed like their best shot at a win disappeared in a sea of miscues. They've got another good shot at a win, but they have to go on the road to get it.

RECAP: 1-3 setting the pace, 4-6 just a step behind, 7-10 fading a bit, 11 alone, 12-13 off the pace.

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2017, 05:22 AM
EWU will be the third team in a row coming off a bye week to play Weber.

kalm
October 31st, 2017, 07:53 AM
Davis should be no lower than 8th and as high as 6th.

POD Knows
October 31st, 2017, 08:03 AM
Davis should be no lower than 8th and as high as 6th.At a minimum, they should be above UND. Ah, that felt good, I always can tell it is going to be a good day and when I can jab the F'Hawkers

wapiti
October 31st, 2017, 01:09 PM
Looks pretty good, except that I too would probably put You See Davis in front of UND

F'N Hawks
October 31st, 2017, 02:21 PM
What ever happened to Sac's QB Thompson, he hasn't played the last two weeks. Is he done?

jadmt
October 31st, 2017, 02:46 PM
I would drop NAU to 5 and just move the rest up a notch. SUU is probably the best right now.

mvemjsunpx
October 31st, 2017, 04:10 PM
I would drop NAU to 5 and just move the rest up a notch. SUU is probably the best right now.

No, just no.

BadlandsGrizFan
October 31st, 2017, 04:36 PM
EWU will be the third team in a row coming off a bye week to play Weber.

Ya it worked so well for us..lolol

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2017, 04:49 PM
Ya it worked so well for us..lolol

You know who Weber played after its bye?

Southern Utah.

Was an L.

mvemjsunpx
October 31st, 2017, 06:15 PM
You know who Weber played after its bye?

Southern Utah.

Was an L.

Apparently the bye-week hangover is even greater than the Griz hangover. xchinscratchx

JALMOND
October 31st, 2017, 08:17 PM
Apparently the bye-week hangover is even greater than the Griz hangover. xchinscratchx

Portland State played Davis after a bye. We are still trying to figure out what happened.xconfusedx

JALMOND
October 31st, 2017, 08:21 PM
The issue with UND and Davis was pretty much the same reason for moving Poly up past Portland State. Davis, keeping a winless team within reach on your home field versus UND, keeping a winless team at bay for most of the second half on the road. I know Davis has the head to head win, but that was a while ago. In this case, I went with a more recent assessment.

slostang
October 31st, 2017, 08:25 PM
That same winless team Davis kept within reach last week only lost to your #2 rank team on the road by 6 and Davis beat UND by 24 points in the head to head match up.

JALMOND
October 31st, 2017, 08:53 PM
That same winless team Davis kept within reach last week only lost to your #2 rank team on the road by 6 and Davis beat UND by 24 points in the head to head match up.

That same winless team probably isn't going to be winless after this weekend.xlolx

TheRealJacks
October 31st, 2017, 09:01 PM

Why is that

tomq04
October 31st, 2017, 09:23 PM
Why is that

I suspect he was joking about the standard 'end of year' collapse that NAU usually experiences.

jadmt
November 1st, 2017, 07:48 AM
I suspect he was joking about the standard 'end of year' collapse that NAU usually experiences.
Correct. If by chance they don't fall apart and win Saturday I'll say they are deserving of the top spot. I am a Griz fan but I actually kind of hope Sauers pulls off a miracle season. If we loose Saturday I hope he goes all the way as he does deserve it. Maybe he kids are playing extra hard for him but still going to be tough to win at WGS.

jadmt
November 4th, 2017, 08:29 PM
As predicted nau melt down. I actually felt sorry for Jerome as I think he actually thought they might win this game. Both teams looked pretty pathetic tho

mvemjsunpx
November 4th, 2017, 08:45 PM
As predicted nau melt down. I actually felt sorry for Jerome as I think he actually thought they might win this game. Both teams looked pretty pathetic tho

Nobody should feel bad for Case Cookus, though. xcoffeex