PDA

View Full Version : Question for JMU and Chatty fans

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 29th, 2017, 09:12 AM
Am I going to absolutely hate my offensive coordinator in a year or two? I am not feeling great about JD.

jmu007
October 29th, 2017, 09:27 AM
HAHAHAHAHA, if only I could pull up an archive of the old CAAZone from 2010 - 2013. Long story short, yes.

Mocs123
October 29th, 2017, 09:34 AM
I never really liked Durden, but his results were pretty good. We averaged 404 yards per game last year (202 rushing and 202 passing) but had some pretty good players.

While he was there we had 2 really good QB’s who could run in Jacob Huesman and Alejandro Bennifield and 2 really good, physical backs in Keon Williams and Derrick Craine.

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 29th, 2017, 09:36 AM
HAHAHAHAHA, if only I could pull up an archive of the old CAAZone from 2010 - 2013. Long story short, yes.

Give me the long story if you have time. I have time to read it.

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 29th, 2017, 09:38 AM
I never really liked Durden, but his results were pretty good. We averaged 404 yards per game last year (202 rushing and 202 passing) but had some pretty good players.

While he was there we had 2 really good QB’s who could run in Jacob Huesman and Alejandro Bennifield and 2 really good, physical backs in Keon Williams and Derrick Craine.

Why didn't you like Durden, in spite of good results?

Your second statement is what gives me some hope although it is disappointing that we can do this much oddball stuff with a pocket passer as good as Lauletta.

jmu007
October 29th, 2017, 09:40 AM
JMU's offense was solid - very good under Durden twice. 2004 - 2006 and 2008. Both of those periods happened to coincide with Justin Rascati and Rodney Landers at QB. (2 of the top 5 QB's in JMU history)

If Richmond has in roads on a great mobile QB recruit, things may work out fine. If not, you'll be watching a lot of 2 yard zone ready plays that look like nobody knows how to read a DE. It really comes down to having very specific personnel to run the offense.

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 29th, 2017, 09:47 AM
If Richmond has in roads on a great mobile QB recruit, things may work out fine. If not, you'll be watching a lot of 2 yard zone ready plays that look like nobody knows how to read a DE. It really comes down to having very specific personnel to run the offense.

Thanks. We have seen plenty of that 2 yard run play stuff this year. I'm hopeful we might show some more balance next year with Kevin Johnson at QB.

jmu007
October 29th, 2017, 09:53 AM
I was happy to see Kyle Lauletta healthy to start the year for that very reason. Had he not been ready to start the year I thought Johnson may get in and show that he's a better fit for the offense. Would've been a shame given Lauletta's career.

Now all that being said, full disclosure, I hope Keven Johnson turns out to be Justin Thorpe 2.0 xpeacex

RootinFerDukes
October 29th, 2017, 11:16 AM
Durden was the OC during the end of mickey’s tenure and we were losing so much due to a mediocre at best offense.
It’s debatable if Mickey would overrule the excessively conservative play calling himself or if durden was just a bad OC.
Since he saw some success at UTC, chances are he was being controlled by Mickey.

JMad03
October 29th, 2017, 11:40 AM
If they play like we did in '08... no. But any other year... YES. There was always a lot of debate on his playcalling. Some thought Mickey had a lot of say in that. One of the most infuriating things was the constant sideline checks. Didn't matter if it was the beginning of the game or 2 mins left we had sideline checks practically every play.
I got so frustrated that I started writing down every offensive drive to see if I was just overreacting. In the years where our offense struggled, we had a LOT of drives that were 3 and outs. A lot of drives were run-run-run. He loved options and screen passes. The passing game either seemed to be screens or deep bombs and very little in between. We were VERY happy to see him go.
I do think his offense is really based on confidence in the QB. Lauletta is one hell of a QB and I would probably be concerned about a drop off at talent and the impact that may have. I do think

kdinva
October 29th, 2017, 06:42 PM
Durden should have been offered the VMI job in January of 2008, when Jim Reid left Lex for the Dolphins.....

chattownmocs
October 30th, 2017, 03:12 AM
It's very debateable. To me he's better at adjusting after halftime to what the defense is doing than coming out with a creative gameplan that keeps the defense on its heels from the very beginning.