PDA

View Full Version : AGS Top 25 - How They Fared Week 9 2017

superman7515
October 28th, 2017, 11:50 PM
Not even Halloween yet and I'm already seeing Christmas commercials for Air Wick, because nothing says the holidays like trying to cover the stench of another season missing the playoffs with pine scented air freshener and egg nog. Can't get a quarterback for Christmas, you'll shoot your eye out.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SS1YQ0RKdkJefoQc3f6CEytD0Scx0hfv-CFb6mZiLHA/edit?usp=sharing

Probably going to be bit slow getting the Sagarin/Massey updated tomorrow (okay, maybe not Massey, but Sagarin has been dragging his knuckles this season). If you notice any errors, shoot me a PM, I don't always see it if you comment in the thread.

Enjoy!

BEAR
October 29th, 2017, 12:08 AM
Thanks again Supe! xdrunkyx

TheBoyWhoSeaWolf
October 29th, 2017, 12:10 AM
One little correction I found - Stony Brook has 6 Division I wins, not 5

LehighU11
October 29th, 2017, 06:44 AM
Thanks once again! Noticed that South Dakota is listed as 7-0, rather than 7-1. The loss is shown in their conference record (4-1), though.

jmu007
October 29th, 2017, 07:32 AM
Thanks for the great info once again this week.

Side bar: Can I just rank the top 15 and mark everyone else as "Not Worthy"? I feel like that is where I am at this point. =)

RootinFerDukes
October 29th, 2017, 07:41 AM
Some teams may stay ranked this week, not because they should be ranked, but because no one else on the radar wants to be ranked either.

Son of Eli
October 29th, 2017, 07:52 AM
Time to rank 6-1 Yale. Only loss was by one point on the road.

mainejeff
October 29th, 2017, 08:19 AM
I think that it's time to stick a fork in Youngstown State, no?

Professor Chaos
October 29th, 2017, 08:22 AM
I don't think there's any question that that's the case at this point. 3-5 overall, lost 4 of 5 in conference, and the "well all their losses are close" argument went out the window yesterday.

RootinFerDukes
October 29th, 2017, 08:28 AM
I will admit that last week I kind of rolled my eyes at Montana and New Hampshire being thrown out of the poll despite not losing, in favor of two mvfc teams.
Both of those teams proved this week that maybe they really shouldn’t be ranked after all.

MR. CHICKEN
October 29th, 2017, 08:30 AM
.......SEVERAL CUPS UH COFFEE.........6 TINS...UH MOUNTAIN DEW.....&....COUPLE UH DIET PILLS.......AN'....I STILL DON'T......FEEL LIKE........RE-ARRANGIN'......DUH LIST........:(...AWK!

Professor Chaos
October 29th, 2017, 08:32 AM
I will admit that last week I kind of rolled my eyes at Montana and New Hampshire being thrown out of the poll despite not losing, in favor of two mvfc teams.
Both of those teams proved this week that maybe they really shouldn’t be ranked after all.
Illinois St proved they shouldn't be ranked this week?

PantherRob82
October 29th, 2017, 08:34 AM

I'm a hard maybe on this one. The last 3 weeks have looked good and at least you guys scheduled 3 of the PL teams that are normally a little better. Unfortunately the whole PL sucks this year.

TheKingpin28
October 29th, 2017, 08:35 AM

I think he was referring to UNH and UM

PantherRob82
October 29th, 2017, 08:35 AM

For sure. No doubt.

- - - Updated - - -

I think he means Montana and UNH.

Professor Chaos
October 29th, 2017, 08:41 AM
I think he was referring to UNH and UM

For sure. No doubt.

- - - Updated - - -

I think he means Montana and UNH.
Ah, well in any case there's probably a couple fringe MVFC teams (YSU and UNI) moving out of the top this week also.

RootinFerDukes
October 29th, 2017, 08:48 AM

Montana and unh were the two teams I was referring to. Sorry if confusing.

RootinFerDukes
October 29th, 2017, 08:50 AM
Ah, well in any case there's probably a couple fringe MVFC teams (YSU and UNI) moving out of the top this week also.

Yep ysu and uni aren’t ranked teams through 8 weeks imo.

Reign of Terrier
October 29th, 2017, 08:53 AM
I think Monmouth, Kennesaw and Furman deserve a ranking

WestCoastAggie
October 29th, 2017, 08:57 AM
Monmouth and Kennesaw State will get looks in the polls this week.

Despite their loss, UNI should still be ranked. Illinois State should be ranked too. And don't forget about Furman.

Austin Peay needs to win out for their playoffs hopes to stay alive.

But here's my big question this week: where do you rank Northern Arizona? Top 5? Top 10? Where?

REALBird
October 29th, 2017, 08:59 AM
Doesn’t erase the double digit losses to NAU or SIU, but double digit wins over USD and YSU should be enough to spring Illinois State up a few spots. The MVFC Gods give and they take! Meat grinder.

PantherRob82
October 29th, 2017, 09:02 AM

Kennesaw State doesn't deserve ****. I compared their resume to Monmouth and if either of them deserve consideration at this point it is Monmouth, and that is debatable.

If voters aren't just sliding teams around, I think Furman should be fairly highly ranked right now.

PantherRob82
October 29th, 2017, 09:08 AM
Monmouth made it in my vote this week. First three out were Grambling, Yale, and Duquesne. This was the longest I spent on any vote this season. A lot of resume comparisons since teams have beat each other. I basically threw out past polls and started from scratch. 1 and 2 were easy, tough from there. I've watched a lot of teams this season and we'll see how November goes.

TheKingpin28
October 29th, 2017, 09:16 AM
The top 5, I believe is a lock with only 1 and 2 debatable as to what order. 3-5 should remain the same. Elon stays with a convincing win over Nova. SHSU and Wofford, by virtue of everyone else sucking, get to stay in the top 10 and after that, it becomes damn hard to figure out where to place teams.

cx500d
October 29th, 2017, 09:27 AM

Why, who have they played? What's the ranking for, so they can make the FCS playoffs? Maybe if you should try for the Celebration bowl.

kalm
October 29th, 2017, 09:29 AM

Despite their loss, UNI should still be ranked. Illinois State should be ranked too. And don't forget about Furman.

But here's my big question this week: where do you rank Northern Arizona? Top 5? Top 10? Where?

Both NAU and SUU should be top 10.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 29th, 2017, 09:34 AM

Maybe.

At least the EWU defense had a breather of a game against Bye this week.

Give that 117/123 ranked defense a break.

Professor Chaos
October 29th, 2017, 09:36 AM
I think Monmouth is deserving of a top 25 spot. I don't know if Kennesaw has showed me enough yet but I gave them consideration. Furman absolutely should be in the top 25 (easily IMO).

Yep ysu and uni aren’t ranked teams through 8 weeks imo.
I ended up still ranking UNI this week. There just wasn't much to keep them out at the bottom of the poll.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 29th, 2017, 09:37 AM
I think Monmouth is deserving of a top 25 spot. I don't know if Kennesaw has showed me enough yet but I gave them consideration. Furman absolutely should be in the top 25 (easily IMO).

I think I put Kennesaw at 24 or 25 this week.

Daytripper
October 29th, 2017, 09:38 AM
I tend to think of rankings in tiers. Throughout the season I have had NDSU and JMU as the only teams in the top tier with a group of about 10-12 in the second tier. UCA is now borderline top tier.

TheKingpin28
October 29th, 2017, 09:41 AM

I'd give you top 15 for sure, but there could be one team who snuck back in to the top 10 due to other teams not wanting to be in the top 10.

Reign of Terrier
October 29th, 2017, 09:45 AM
When I say a team needs consideration, I am well aware of the arguments against them being ranked. At the same time, I think those arguments are applicable to with some ranked teams as well. In the case of Kennesaw, they're 7-1 and their 1 loss was to Samford by 5 in week one in a rain storm. They played terrible against D2 North Greenville, but they've also won 4 straight by double digits. They are a team steadily improving. I think the third year a program restarts is a key year as there is more steady improvement from 2 to 3 than 1 to 2.

PantherRob82
October 29th, 2017, 09:46 AM

That's where I’m at now.

PantherRob82
October 29th, 2017, 09:51 AM
When I say a team needs consideration, I am well aware of the arguments against them being ranked. At the same time, I think those arguments are applicable to with some ranked teams as well. In the case of Kennesaw, they're 7-1 and their 1 loss was to Samford by 5 in week one in a rain storm. They played terrible against D2 North Greenville, but they've also won 4 straight by double digits. They are a team steadily improving. I think the third year a program restarts is a key year as there is more steady improvement from 2 to 3 than 1 to 2.

But Samford’s stock is dropping and they have no good wins. Seems like you always argue against good losses, and all they have for a resume is an okay loss.

FCSFBFAN
October 29th, 2017, 09:54 AM

Massey Composite Rankings has SUU, NAU and EWU 8, 9 and 10. Maybe the Stats Poll will have them break in at # 25. AGS, Sagarin and Massey have it right the others are a joke.

POD Knows
October 29th, 2017, 09:58 AM
I think that it's time to stick a fork in Youngstown State, no?Yep

kalm
October 29th, 2017, 09:59 AM
I'd give you top 15 for sure, but there could be one team who snuck back in to the top 10 due to other teams not wanting to be in the top 10.

Remove the FBS losses and they are both one loss teams like, for example SHSU and Wofford, but with top 10 SOS's and better wins.

Reign of Terrier
October 29th, 2017, 10:01 AM
But Samford’s stock is dropping and they have no good wins. Seems like you always argue against good losses, and all they have for a resume is an okay loss.

Yeah but most teams are limited by their scheduling for quality wins. You have to ask yourself under what circumstances you'd rank a team and for many of these teams a lot of voters it seems like under no circumstances should a team such as Kennesaw be ranked. I'm not arguing for good losses as the sole criterion or that Kennesaw should be even in the top 15, but winning games should be rewarded to a certain point. Heck, if anything I've argued that there's a limit to quality losses as at a certain point good teams figure out how to win games and bad teams figure out how to lose them.

Let's remember I'm 2-0 in these philosophical discussions; I said Albany and Youngstown probably shouldn't be ranked (especially the former) and look where they are now.

Bisonator
October 29th, 2017, 10:07 AM
How has JMU only played 1 road game against FCS teams? And only 1 game agaisnt a top 25 team?? xconfusedx

katss07
October 29th, 2017, 10:07 AM
NAU? Ill give you SUU, but not NAU. SUU has the win over Weber State, a Weber State team that is no joke. WSU should be a playoff team IMO. Southern Utah also has a pair of big non-con wins against SFA and Northern Iowa. NAU is not deserving of a top 10 spot. They are a good team, just not THAT good. 15 or 14 is where I would rank them. Only good win is against ISUr.

TheKingpin28
October 29th, 2017, 10:09 AM
Remove the FBS losses and they are both one loss teams like, for example SHSU and Wofford, but with top 10 SOS's and better wins.

-SUU got curb stomped by Sac State which is a bad loss, barely got by a decent UNI at home, and barely got by an atrocious Cal Poly at home.

-UNA lost to WIU at home in a blow out fashion.

I will tell you this, one of these teams is in my top 10 and one of them is on the outside looking in, with a different team taking the #9 spot due to a win against the same opponent on the road.

TheKingpin28
October 29th, 2017, 10:11 AM
Yeah but most teams are limited by their scheduling for quality wins. You have to ask yourself under what circumstances you'd rank a team and for many of these teams a lot of voters it seems like under no circumstances should a team such as Kennesaw be ranked. I'm not arguing for good losses as the sole criterion or that Kennesaw should be even in the top 15, but winning games should be rewarded to a certain point. Heck, if anything I've argued that there's a limit to quality losses as at a certain point good teams figure out how to win games and bad teams figure out how to lose them.

Let's remember I'm 2-0 in these philosophical discussions; I said Albany and Youngstown probably shouldn't be ranked (especially the former) and look where they are now.

Yeah after YSU lost most of their o-line and 2 of their QBs, so of course you are going to win this discussion. I tell you this, if ANY team loses that much on their team with no depth, of course they are going to fall out of the T25.

cx500d
October 29th, 2017, 10:26 AM
NAU? Ill give you SUU, but not NAU. SUU has the win over Weber State, a Weber State team that is no joke. WSU should be a playoff team IMO. Southern Utah also has a pair of big non-con wins against SFA and Northern Iowa. NAU is not deserving of a top 10 spot. They are a good team, just not THAT good. 15 or 14 is where I would rank them. Only good win is against ISUr.

SFA???? Seriously? That ranks up there with our noncon win against Robert Morris.

TheKingpin28
October 29th, 2017, 10:27 AM
I felt dirty with my poll this week especially between 21-25 but to a lesser extent 12-25.

This is how I see it:

1-2: Top Tier
3-5: Next Tier
6-8: By virtue of no one else stepping up, they get these spots even if they may not deserve it.
9-11: Too much fluidity and which team is on the outside looking in?
12-20: Will someone step-up in this group instead of just being good enough to warrant votes?
21-25: Who has a dartboard that would be willing to loan it to me?

th0m
October 29th, 2017, 10:27 AM
How has JMU only played 1 road game against FCS teams? And only 1 game agaisnt a top 25 team?? xconfusedx

We've had two road FCS games, W&M and Delaware. As for our opponents not being ranked, you should ask them.

WestCoastAggie
October 29th, 2017, 10:34 AM
Massey Composite Rankings has SUU, NAU and EWU 8, 9 and 10. Maybe the Stats Poll will have them break in at # 25. AGS, Sagarin and Massey have it right the others are a joke.

Massey has Northern Iowa #3, Youngstown State #6. Sagarin also as Northern Iowa #6, and Youngstown State #8.

Having the number 5th and 6th best MVFC teams, including one 3-5, ahead of the number 1 and 2 teams in the Big Sky is a joke.
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/001/023/007/f29.png

kalm
October 29th, 2017, 10:35 AM
-SUU got curb stomped by Sac State which is a bad loss, barely got by a decent UNI at home, and barely got by an atrocious Cal Poly at home.

I will tell you this, one of these teams is in my top 10 and one of them is on the outside looking in, with a different team taking the #9 spot due to a win against the same opponent on the road.

Still, after the top 6, I'm having a tough time finding anyone with a better resume. That's why I used Wofford and SHSU as examples, they've both had multiple squeakers against inferior opponents as well.

And that winless CPU took UNI to OT. Sac state is greatly improved.

JSUSoutherner
October 29th, 2017, 10:38 AM

I didn't realize losing in the last six seconds of a game was considered getting blown out.

TheKingpin28
October 29th, 2017, 10:39 AM
Still, after the top 6, I'm having a tough time finding anyone with a better resume. That's why I used Wofford and SHSU as examples, they've both had multiple squeakers against inferior opponents as well.

And that winless CPU took UNI to OT. Sac state is greatly improved.

I watched part of the Sac St game and yes, they are better, but the top 8 are unfortunately locks since no one else has been a cutthroat team. 9-11 have 3 teams and right now, one of those BS teams are on the outside looking in. When you see my top 11, you will understand based off of who they played via common opponents why I voted the way I did.

TheKingpin28
October 29th, 2017, 10:41 AM
I didn't realize losing in the last six seconds of a game was considered getting blown out.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400950879

Yeah, they got blown out in all facets of the game. So, I need to know what you are taking so I can get some of it.

JSUSoutherner
October 29th, 2017, 10:48 AM
http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400950879

Yeah, they got blown out in all facets of the game. So, I need to know what you are taking so I can get some of it.

"They were one play away from a win, but they also got blown out."

Makes sense.

TheKingpin28
October 29th, 2017, 10:52 AM
"They were one play away from a win, but they also got blown out."

Makes sense.

How the hell do you get 1 play out of 18pts? What are you on? Even if he gets 8, it is still a 2 possession game.

It went like this:

WIU: Punt
NAU: Fumble TD
NAU: TD
WIU: TD
NAU: Punt
NAU: INT
NAU: Downs
WIU: End of Game

Where in the 2nd half was the one play loss?

cx500d
October 29th, 2017, 10:55 AM

What are you talking about? Only mention of blow out was una and wiu. That certainly wasn't won in the last 6 seconds. Go drink some more moonshine

DirtyDukes
October 29th, 2017, 10:58 AM

Fake news

JSUSoutherner
October 29th, 2017, 10:58 AM
How the hell do you get 1 play out of 18pts? What are you on? Even if he gets 8, it is still a 2 possession game.

It went like this:

NAU: Fumble TD
NAU: Punt
NAU: INT
NAU: Downs
WIU: End of Game

Where in the 2nd half was the one play loss?

Saw "UNA" and UNI in your post and thought you were talking about the UNI/WIU game and had misspelled UNI. My bad.

Serpentor
October 29th, 2017, 10:59 AM
The top 5, I believe is a lock with only 1 and 2 debatable as to what order. 3-5 should remain the same. Elon stays with a convincing win over Nova. SHSU and Wofford, by virtue of everyone else sucking, get to stay in the top 10 and after that, it becomes damn hard to figure out where to place teams.

Jesus dude, don't even vote for us in the AGS poll if you're going to be a whiny bitch about it every week. I'd rather be unranked than listen to string-attached complaining every week.

TheKingpin28
October 29th, 2017, 11:00 AM
Saw "UNA" and UNI in your post and thought you were talking about the UNI/WIU game and has misspelled UNI. My bad.

It's alright, I was just trying to figure out what you were talking about. I pulled a POD Knows last night and was #onthegrains when it came to barrister and barista

RootinFerDukes
October 29th, 2017, 11:01 AM

Every week we’re about to play a ranked team and then they conveniently exit the poll right before the match up, sometimes even without losing a game.

FCSFBFAN
October 29th, 2017, 11:01 AM

I saw SUU play yesterday against Northern Colorado. They benefited from 2 early turnovers to go up 13-0 early in the first. A weak UNC team with a new QB played them even from that point forward. I'm not so sure the Weber State is as good as some say they are either.. All I know is that NAU has beat up on their last 6 opponents. One FCS loss, to WIU as they lost their All-American Wide-Receiver in the first few minutes to a season ending injury. That seemed to knock the wind out of NAU in that game and couldn't pull it back together before it was too late.

Since then, they've regrouped and been in control of every game from start to finish. Defense has been the best in the Big Sky and Offense has been top #2 or 3.

cx500d
October 29th, 2017, 11:02 AM
Jesus dude, don't even vote for us in the AGS poll if you're going to be a whiny bitch about it every week. I'd rather be unranked than listen to string-attached complaining every week.

http://78.media.tumblr.com/733363878ebfa45a42eaa131708117f3/tumblr_mlflmxcHsk1qj7jhxo1_250.gif

TheKingpin28
October 29th, 2017, 11:04 AM

Every time you play "equal" competition, you get blown out of the water. So maybe, just maybe, after watching SHSU for 5 years, I am a little skeptical of your team. Do you hear what I am saying? I only vote for your team since everyone else below you decides to not show up. Plus, you needed 59 minutes to beat Northwestern State. I am just being an honest poll voter, not a homer.

PantherRob82
Saw "UNA" and UNI in your post and thought you were talking about the UNI/WIU game and had misspelled UNI. My bad.

Easy to confuse since Northern Arizona is NAU.

TheKingpin28
Every week we’re about to play a ranked team and then they conveniently exit the poll right before the match up, sometimes even without losing a game.

Some of us do not believe in slot voting, if that's alright with you?

cx500d

Good point!

dbackjon
October 29th, 2017, 11:05 AM

8-12 range

Six straight wins by at least two touchdowns

TheKingpin28
October 29th, 2017, 11:06 AM

I will drive 85+ through Iowa and come down there and tell you to buy me breakfast pizza with pineapple on it if you throw me under the bus like that again. :D

cx500d
October 29th, 2017, 11:06 AM

Lame excuse...When was the lost time anywon here ever had a tipo?

dbackjon
October 29th, 2017, 11:10 AM

Again six straight wins by at least two touchdowns including over in Illinois State

The two teams that we lost two are a six in to SBS Arizona and five and three Western Illinois

I don't know if there's anybody in FCS it's played a tougher out of conference schedule than us

dbackjon
October 29th, 2017, 11:13 AM
So how much should you take into account the team improving over the season ?

When NAU lost to western we had just lost our all American receiver

since then Elijah Marks stepped up and our offense of been clicking

caribbeanhen
October 29th, 2017, 11:14 AM
Why, who have they played? What's the ranking for, so they can make the FCS playoffs? Maybe if you should try for the Celebration bowl.

I would watch a bowl game between say Yale versus Grambling

they could call it the homeowners deeds versus southern speed bowl

cx500d
October 29th, 2017, 11:15 AM
So how much should you take into account the team improving over the season ?

When NAU lost to western we had just lost our all American receiver

since then Elijah Marks stepped up and our offense of been clicking

I always take into account improvement, and NAU certainly seems to be on a roll.

caribbeanhen
October 29th, 2017, 11:16 AM
Lame excuse...When was the lost time anywon here ever had a tipo?

Anywon....

Bisonator
October 29th, 2017, 11:18 AM
How is that possible in the mighty CAA? xcoffeex

th0m
October 29th, 2017, 11:20 AM
How is that possible in the mighty CAA? xcoffeex

I blame YSU.

RootinFerDukes
October 29th, 2017, 11:23 AM
Some of us do not believe in slot voting, if that's alright with you?

Our SOS is so strong because we made it that way!

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 29th, 2017, 11:25 AM
Again six straight wins by at least two touchdowns including over in Illinois State

The two teams that we lost two are a six in to SBS Arizona and five and three Western Illinois

I don't know if there's anybody in FCS it's played a tougher out of conference schedule than us

OOC schedule has been impressive. In conference so far....meh.....

UNC
Cal Poly
PSU
Davis
Sac State

Not a murder's row of heavy weights there.

Griz, MSU and SUU will tell if NAU is for real. Montana at home will be tough. NAU doesn't win there much.

aceinthehole
October 29th, 2017, 12:15 PM

Really? Then it is really time to rank Duquesne

Duquesne (7-1; 4-0 NEC)
Best Wins: vs. Saint Francis, at Dayton, at Sacred Heart
Losses: at #11 South Dakota State

Yale (6-1; 3-1 Ivy)
Best Wins: vs. Columbia, at Penn, vs. Holy Cross
Losses: at Dartmouth

katss07
October 29th, 2017, 12:21 PM
Because the committee is giving us their first top 10 Tuesday or Wednesday, I think this question has more weight now.

What Big Sky team will be in the top 10? I think most people expected EWU and UND before the season started, but with both of those teams having bad seasons, what BSC team will be ranked?

TheKingpin28
October 29th, 2017, 12:23 PM
Because the committee is giving us their first top 10 Tuesday or Wednesday, I think this question has more weight now.

What Big Sky team will be in the top 10? I think most people expected EWU and UND before the season started, but with both of those teams having bad seasons, what BSC team will be ranked?

Well since the committee did not care about the 1st rankings, it could be any of the following:

NAU, SUU, EWU, and WSU and it would not surprise me.

aceinthehole
October 29th, 2017, 12:25 PM
Let's compare the league leaders in the Big South, NEC, and Ivy League before we start voting ...

Kennesaw State (7-1; 3-0 Big South)
Best Win: ???
Loss: at #9 Samford

Monmouth (7-1; 2-0 Big South)
Best Win: at Charleston Southern
Loss:L at Albany

Duquesne (7-1; 4-0 NEC)
Best Win: vs. Saint Francis
Loss: at #11 South Dakota State

Yale (6-1; 3-1 Ivy)
Best Win: vs. Columbia
Loss: at Dartmouth

katss07
October 29th, 2017, 12:27 PM
Well since the committee did not care about the 1st rankings, it could be any of the following:

NAU, SUU, EWU, and WSU and it would not surprise me.

Ah, I forget! The committee does not care about the first ranking. I remember the reaction on here after the first ranking last year. If I remember correctly, it was Jax St at one and Sam at two.

RootinFerDukes
October 29th, 2017, 12:36 PM
Part of me kind of hopes JMU gets the #2 ranking this week from the commitee. Whatever it takes to light a fire in them even more.

kalm
October 29th, 2017, 12:38 PM

Both SUU and NAU should be ranked in the top 10.

th0m
October 29th, 2017, 12:43 PM
Part of me kind of hopes JMU gets the #2 ranking this week from the commitee. Whatever it takes to light a fire in them even more.

As far as home games/etc in the playoffs, there is no difference between being #1 or #2

TheKingpin28
October 29th, 2017, 12:51 PM
Ah, I forget! The committee does not care about the first ranking. I remember the reaction on here after the first ranking last year. If I remember correctly, it was Jax St at one and Sam at two.

It was bad.

http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4000&ATCLID=211272047

1. Jacksonville State
2. Sam Houston State
3. Eastern Washington
4. North Dakota State
5. James Madison
6. The Citadel
7. Richmond
8. Chattanooga
9. Charleston Southern
10. Central Arkansas

There was about 0 thought into it, and I expect something like that to happen again.

If the order is not something along the lines of this:

JMU/NDSU
JMU/NDSU
JSU/UCA/USeD
JSU/UCA/USeD
JSU/UCA/USeD
Elon/SHSU/Wofford
Elon/SHSU/Wofford
Elon/SHSU/Wofford
NAU/SDSU/SUU
NAU/SDSU/SUU

it will be further proof that they did not care about their first poll. I organized it by Alpha order for teams who have an argument to be made for that spot, not where I think they should be.

PantherRob82
October 29th, 2017, 01:38 PM
Let's compare the league leaders in the Big South, NEC, and Ivy League before we start voting ...

Kennesaw State (7-1; 3-0 Big South)
Best Win: ???
Loss: at #9 Samford

Monmouth (7-1; 2-0 Big South)
Best Win: at Charleston Southern
Loss:L at Albany

Duquesne (7-1; 4-0 NEC)
Best Win: vs. Saint Francis
Loss: at #11 South Dakota State

Yale (6-1; 3-1 Ivy)
Best Win: vs. Columbia
Loss: at Dartmouth

I did that. That is why Monmouth is the only team in my poll. None of the teams be anyone of note, but at least Monmouth didn’t get the doors blown off and a game against a decent team.

ST_Lawson
October 29th, 2017, 01:55 PM

We're going to have to be really careful starting next year.
UNI, NAU, UNA...all valid teams. Possibly all top 25 in the next few years depending on how well North Alabama transitions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RootinFerDukes
October 29th, 2017, 03:29 PM
It was really tough to decide who to put from 16-25. No one wants it.

Redbird 4th & short
October 29th, 2017, 03:49 PM
.......SEVERAL CUPS UH COFFEE.........6 TINS...UH MOUNTAIN DEW.....&....COUPLE UH DIET PILLS.......AN'....I STILL DON'T......FEEL LIKE........RE-ARRANGIN'......DUH LIST........:(...AWK!

said 90% of coaches on FCP coaches poll ??

gofurman
October 29th, 2017, 05:11 PM
VOTE. FOR. FURMAN.
Six consecutive wins.! Just beat number 11 Western Carolina 28 - 6 at their place at homecoming. Two fullbacks combined for over 300 yards.

6-2 vs FCS now. First two losses by one point to top ten Wofford and by a last second FG to Elon (I feel strongly we would best Elon now... we got down 21-0 on two fumbles in first quarter and came roaring back to lead 31-24 fourth Q). Those are only two FCS losses.

Beat decent Mercer team. Killed number 11 Western Carolina this week etc!!

Furman should be in poll. We are tied w Wofford for FIRST PLACE in the Southern Conference. First place SoCon teams should be ranked

KPSUL
October 29th, 2017, 06:15 PM

Yep, also time to drop JMU out of #1, since at home they could only produce two successful scoring drives, scored zero points while rarely getting the ball out of their half of the field in the second half and had to punt 8 times against the "porous" UNH defense.

kalm
October 29th, 2017, 06:45 PM
VOTE. FOR. FURMAN.
Six consecutive wins.! Just beat number 11 Western Carolina 28 - 6 at their place at homecoming. Two fullbacks combined for over 300 yards.

6-2 vs FCS now. First two losses by one point to top ten Wofford and by a last second FG to Elon (I feel strongly we would best Elon now... we got down 21-0 on two fumbles in first quarter and came roaring back to lead 31-24 fourth Q). Those are only two FCS losses.

Beat decent Mercer team. Killed number 11 Western Carolina this week etc!!

Furman should be in poll. We are tied w Wofford for FIRST PLACE in the Southern Conference. First place SoCon teams should be ranked

A classic example of the need to allow teams a big jump even late in the season after a slow start. Sometimes we under-value performances and this points to why W-L is not everything. They should be approaching top 15 status in everyone's poll.

KPSUL
October 29th, 2017, 06:49 PM
Our SOS is so strong because we made it that way!

The games JMU chose to play were, a 2nd to last place SoCon team, a lower tier MEAC team, and a below average, G5 FBS team. All your other games were scheduled by the conference.

But I was just screwing with you for selling your own conference short by summing up your toughest defensive opponent of the year by writing they should have been dropped from poll last week with a 5-2 record. I still have JMU #1: they've got the best QB in FCS, a solid running game and an awesome defense. As long as they keep winning CAA conference games, by 1 or 40 points, I'll keep them there.

TheKingpin28
October 29th, 2017, 07:21 PM
The games JMU chose to play were, a 2nd to last place SoCon team, a lower tier MEAC team, and a below average, G5 FBS team. All your other games were scheduled by the conference.

But I was just screwing with you for selling your own conference short by summing up your toughest defensive opponent of the year by writing they should have been dropped from poll last week with a 5-2 record. I still have JMU #1: they've got the best QB in FCS, a solid running game and an awesome defense. As long as they keep winning CAA conference games, by 1 or 40 points, I'll keep them there.

So are you in favor of slot voting then? I am asking this as a serious question.

wcugrad95
October 29th, 2017, 07:21 PM
A classic example of the need to allow teams a big jump even late in the season after a slow start. Sometimes we under-value performances and this points to why W-L is not everything. They should be approaching top 15 status in everyone's poll.

Just to have full disclosure, Furman whipped WCU at our place in driving rain with arguably Western's best player on the sideline for the second half due to injury. I am not making excuses, and I'd say given the way the game was going Furman would have won this game by at least a TD and probably more if Adams had played. My point actually was to say AGS valued WCU coming into this week. We had climbed in the polls a little. I made basically this exact comment earlier in the week - Furman was getting the shaft already, and if they beat WCU did it all of the sudden mean Western wasn't any good, or that Furman was way undervalued? I think the jury is out on WCU now based on the health of our QB, but you shouldn't automatically throw a team out until you see what they can do. I'd say the verdict is in on Furman - if the other teams at the top in the SoCon were top-15 kinds of teams, Furman is a top-15 kind of team. They'll have to prove it with games against Samford, Citadel, etc., but in a "right now" poll the Paladins belong.

TheRevSFA
October 29th, 2017, 08:27 PM
Top 3 should be NDSU, JMU, UCA.

beerkat
October 29th, 2017, 08:30 PM
Every time you play "equal" competition, you get blown out of the water. So maybe, just maybe, after watching SHSU for 5 years, I am a little skeptical of your team. Do you hear what I am saying? I only vote for your team since everyone else below you decides to not show up. Plus, you needed 59 minutes to beat Northwestern State. I am just being an honest poll voter, not a homer.

loud and clear, it literally does not matter what shsu does this year you already have your mind made up

BisonTru
October 29th, 2017, 08:33 PM
Top 3 should be NDSU, JMU, UCA.

Disagree. USD and JSU both have strong arguments for that third spot.

gofurman
October 29th, 2017, 08:49 PM

exactly - two heart-breaking losses in our FIRST two games (Furman) w the new head coach etc. by one to top ten Wofford. by last second FG to top ten ELon. Now we reel off SIX STRAIGHT wins including Mercer, Chattanooga (who just beat Samford), number 11 Western Carolina.. we beat Western Carolina at their place at homecoming by 28-6.

I have following polls a long time. I like that here people realize you can't just skim the top 5 scores. Look at it- whoa ! Number 11 just got crushed at their own stadium where they hadn't lost all year.

I wish coaches poll and STATS were as informed as you guys.

*WHen does the AGS poll come out?

TheKingpin28
loud and clear, it literally does not matter what shsu does this year you already have your mind made up

Not even close. You barely beat inferior competition and lose to equal competition, yet you want me to vote for SHSU high? Let me know when you are ready to bring some logic to the discussion and we can continue this.

TheKingpin28
exactly - two heart-breaking losses in our FIRST two games (Furman) w the new head coach etc. by one to top ten Wofford. by last second FG to top ten ELon. Now we reel off SIX STRAIGHT wins including Mercer, Chattanooga (who just beat Samford), number 11 Western Carolina.. we beat Western Carolina at their place at homecoming by 28-6.

I have following polls a long time. I like that here people realize you can't just skim the top 5 scores. Look at it- whoa ! Number 11 just got crushed at their own stadium where they hadn't lost all year.

I wish coaches poll and STATS were as informed as you guys.

*WHen does the AGS poll come out?

Monday mid-morning/noon. Somewhere in there.

centennial
October 29th, 2017, 08:53 PM
I am starting to have a real hard problem rating JMU as 1. They are beating much poorer teams in comparison to NDSU. How do you rate them #1?

Massey
Sagarin

MS Valley St

EWU

Robert Morris

Missouri State

Indiana State

YSU

WIU

UNI

ECU

ETSU

Norfork St

Maine

Delaware

Villanova

W&M

UNH

Average top 4 for NDSU
Massey 95
Sagarin 101

Average top 4 for JMU
Massey 140
Sagarin 133

Not even 1 team played under 100 for JMU. Basically JMU has been not been challenged with harder teams. And to add to this next 3 teams on NDSU average 83 on Sagarin.

Next 3 teams for JMU average 162 on Sagarin. I think we are rating the CAA too high too, objectively I don't see it any better than Big Sky or Southern.

dewey
October 29th, 2017, 08:55 PM
Disagree. USD and JSU both have strong arguments for that third spot.

I could easily understand the USD (they have wins at FBS Bowling Green, at Western Illinois and they play in a significantly stronger conference but JSU I am not sold on them. JSU hasn't beaten a good team yet (Austin Peay is 5-4. Eastern Illinois is also 5-4, Liberty is 4-4...JSU does have UT Martin (currently 4-4)).

Dewey

BisonFan02
October 29th, 2017, 08:57 PM
I am starting to have a real hard problem rating JMU as 1. They are beating much poorer teams in comparison to NDSU. How do you rate them #1?

Massey
Sagarin

MS Valley St

EWU

Robert Morris

Missouri State

Indiana State

YSU

WIU

UNI

ECU

ETSU

Norfork St

Maine

Delaware

Villanova

W&M

UNH

Average top 4 for NDSU
Massey 95
Sagarin 101

Average top 4 for JMU
Massey 140
Sagarin 133

Not even 1 team played under 100 for JMU. Basically JMU has been not been challenged with harder teams. And to add to this next 3 teams on NDSU average 83 on Sagarin.

Next 3 teams for JMU average 162 on Sagarin. I think we are rating the CAA too high too, objectively I don't see it any better than Big Sky or Southern.

I was gonna wait one more week to flip them (pending a NDSU win), but..........

TheKingpin28
October 29th, 2017, 09:01 PM

Massey
Sagarin

MS Valley St

EWU

Robert Morris

Missouri State

Indiana State

YSU

WIU

UNI

ECU

ETSU

Norfork St

Maine

Delaware

Villanova

W&M

UNH

Average top 4 for NDSU
Massey 95
Sagarin 101

Average top 4 for JMU
Massey 140
Sagarin 133

You're not allowed to use facts when talking about the CAA overlords. They will just say you are circlejerking the MVFC which in turn, nullifies any argument that you want to make. We have tried to make this argument earlier about how NDSU's schedule is harder and if they both survive, should be rated #1, but that was met with, well they beat you last year and if they are undefeated, they are #1 until further notice. Welcome to slot-voting at its' finest. I put NDSU in at #1 after the ISUb game and they are showing me how great of a defense they have (best in the FCS and maybe all time) and how their offense just grinds out yards and time off the clock. They are showing how much of a 2nd half team they are with their last 2 game performances.

knit35
October 29th, 2017, 09:04 PM
You're not allowed to use facts when talking about the CAA overlords. They will just say you are circlejerking the MVFC which in turn, nullifies any argument that you want to make. We have tried to make this argument earlier about how NDSU's schedule is harder and if they both survive, should be rated #1, but that was met with, well they beat you last year and if they are undefeated, they are #1 until further notice. Welcome to slot-voting at its' finest. I put NDSU in at #1 after the ISUb game and they are showing me how great of a defense they have (best in the FCS and maybe all time) and how their offense just grinds out yards and time off the clock. They are showing how much of a 2nd half team they are with their last 2 game performances.

I’m fine with ndsu being #1. I’m good with JMU being #2. I would admit I’d enjoy seeing the Bison in Virginia for a playoff game but who cares. See you in Frisco.

cx500d
October 29th, 2017, 09:06 PM

http://battleroyalewithcheese.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Homer_simpsonwoohooo.gif

centennial
October 29th, 2017, 09:07 PM
I don't ****ing care. CAA is a good league but JMU needed to knock off a top 75 FBS team, and a top 10 FCS team in OOC for me to rate them over NDSU with both teams undefeated. Add to that the terrible performance vs UNH.

TheKingpin28
October 29th, 2017, 09:08 PM
I’m fine with ndsu being #1. I’m good with JMU being #2. I would admit I’d enjoy seeing the Bison in Virginia for a playoff game but who cares. See you in Frisco.

Give us a home game in the dome (OOC), and then we will come to Harrisonburg to play at your place. Just tell your AD to give Larsen a call and I can tell you that the Green and Gold will travel to Virginia for that game in droves.

cx500d
October 29th, 2017, 09:09 PM
I don't ****ing care. CAA is a good league but JMU needed to knock off a top 75 FBS team, and a top 10 FCS team in OOC for me to rate them over NDSU with both teams undefeated. Add to that the terrible performance vs UNH.

We didn't knock off any FBS team this year.

centennial
October 29th, 2017, 09:12 PM
Yes, the conferences are far enough that JMU needed to have a nicer OOC. They don't. They played a bottom 5 FBS team, and 2 other terrible teams. EWU would take ECU to the cleaners IMO.

TheKingpin28
October 29th, 2017, 09:13 PM

I hear you completely and that is why I have had them at #2 for a few weeks now as the SOS and ratings between the two are not equal, but I know what the responses will be. I am just glad more people are starting to finally see it.

BisonTru
October 29th, 2017, 09:14 PM
I could easily understand the USD (they have wins at FBS Bowling Green, at Western Illinois and they play in a significantly stronger conference but JSU I am not sold on them. JSU hasn't beaten a good team yet (Austin Peay is 5-4. Eastern Illinois is also 5-4, Liberty is 4-4...JSU does have UT Martin (currently 4-4)).

Dewey

Central Arkansas's signature win is against Sam Houston St who is playing in the same conference and beating the same folks Central Arkansas is. JSU can't really do much else with their schedule. If they didn't have the history of a championship run a couple years ago and they've been at the top of their conference and in the national championship contenders conversation for years now, I'd be a little lower.

Also, of note this is the first week Massey has had Jacksonville St lower than Central Arkansas, but they are only one spot ahead of them. I might switch them moving forward even if they both keep winning, something I'm not afraid to do. Right now, my top 5 are in order JMU, NDSU, JSU, UCA, USD.

RootinFerDukes
Yep, also time to drop JMU out of #1, since at home they could only produce two successful scoring drives, scored zero points while rarely getting the ball out of their half of the field in the second half and had to punt 8 times against the "porous" UNH defense.

You had to get your claws in there at some point. We’ll just overlook the goose egg.

knit35
Give us a home game in the dome (OOC), and then we will come to Harrisonburg to play at your place. Just tell your AD to give Larsen a call and I can tell you that the Green and Gold will travel to Virginia for that game in droves.

That would be awesome. Wish it were that simple, regardless I enjoy playing you guys. I hope the brackets get it close to correc5 and we can play for the chip. In the end rankings don’t matter until the brackets are released. Just be 1 or 2. In the end I’ll just start to call Jeff Bourne non stop to set it up. Stay tuned.

cx500d
October 29th, 2017, 09:15 PM
Yes, the conferences are far enough that JMU needed to have a nicer OOC. They don't. They played a bottom 5 FBS team, and 2 other terrible teams. EWU would take ECU to the cleaners IMO.

I'm not sure EWU could beat CWU this year

BisonTru
October 29th, 2017, 09:19 PM
I'm not throwing my hat in the JMU/NDSU debate, but given the recent history, the strength of their conferences, and the lack of a deserving team behind them. Either one may take a loss and not fall to 3 or worse in my poll. I'm not convinced Elon, Central Ark, or Jacksonville St are better teams even in the hypothetical and they would be the only teams without an FCS loss.

RootinFerDukes
October 29th, 2017, 09:30 PM

Or beat any current top 10 teams in OOC play. The key is to overlook the standards you expect of another team when your own team doesn’t meet them.

centennial
October 29th, 2017, 09:34 PM
Or beat any current top 10 teams in OOC play. The key is to overlook the standards you expect of another team when your own team doesn’t meet them.

What is JMU's best win this year? Multiple MVFC teams have better wins. Running up the score on the the worst teams in D1 football isn't very impressive.

RootinFerDukes
October 29th, 2017, 09:41 PM
What is JMU's best win this year? Multiple MVFC teams have better wins. Running up the score on the the worst teams in D1 football isn't very impressive.

If only the bison got a boost from their valiant message board warrior.

centennial
October 29th, 2017, 09:51 PM
If only the bison got a boost from their valiant message board warrior.
Yes, ad hominem attacks are the answer when presented with facts. IMO JMU is over weighted by the computers because of playing a weak schedule. Not saying that JMU isn't a top 5 team. All I am saying is what is the compelling reason to rate them over NDSU? Because the CAA is down and ECU turned out to be a bust, there is no objective way of rating JMU #1. BTW I have NDSU not #1 multiple times this year, and the previous years. If you have a compelling argument I want to hear it, just no more personal BS attacks.

beerkat
October 29th, 2017, 09:51 PM
Not even close. You barely beat inferior competition and lose to equal competition, yet you want me to vote for SHSU high? Let me know when you are ready to bring some logic to the discussion and we can continue this.

you continue to hold shsu to a different standard than every other team, show me on the doll where jeremiah briscoe touched you

tomq04
October 29th, 2017, 09:53 PM
Finished my poll, I'm ready for a shower.

gofurman
October 29th, 2017, 09:53 PM
Kennesaw State doesn't deserve ****. I compared their resume to Monmouth and if either of them deserve consideration at this point it is Monmouth, and that is debatable.

If voters aren't just sliding teams around, I think Furman should be fairly highly ranked right now.

PantherRob is a Good man. Looks at what a team has done and how they are playing ! 6 straight wins vs FCS. Just waxed number 11 Western Carolina 28-6 at their homecoming. Just Our two fullbacks combined for over 300 yards rushing

TheKingpin28
October 29th, 2017, 10:14 PM
you continue to hold shsu to a different standard than every other team, show me on the doll where jeremiah briscoe touched you

How so?

-I kept NDSU out of the #1 for 6 weeks.
-I voted for UNI 3 out of the 10 weeks.
-I have had UCA in my top 10 for 5 out of 10 weeks.
-I have had Elon in my poll for 7 out of 10 weeks.
-I have dropped ISUr out of my poll and then brought them back in.
-I have had SHSU in the top 10 7 out of 10 weeks and in the top 5 before.
-I have had JMU #1 multiple weeks.
-I have had McNeese (3 weeks) and Nicholls St (2 weeks) in my polls.

Tell me how I am grading them any different. I post my poll week in and week out to be transparent and my polls are damn close to the AGS poll, so I ask you, how do I hold them to a different standard?

citdog
October 29th, 2017, 10:16 PM
[/B]

PantherRob is a Good man. Looks at what a team has done and how they are playing ! 6 straight wins vs FCS. Just waxed number 11 Western Carolina 28-6 at their homecoming. Just Our two fullbacks combined for over 300 yards rushing

xlolx look at furman "fans", who aren't really fans seeing as how they don't show up to games or anywhere else the last decade, begging for votes in multiple threads. SAD

furman sucks

BisonTru
October 29th, 2017, 10:52 PM

Briscoe kicked my dog, so....

Seriously though you guys have a weird persecution complex. You can maybe hint to some homerism as far as teams or conferences, but once you get outside of your own conference collectively there's no reason to have a vendetta against any certain team or conference.

You lost to the only right now playoff team you played, IMO. The Southland is not a tough conference. Your last three games are against teams any playoff team should win blind folded. Kudos on your win against SELA. The Richmond win is looking pretty meh. It is what it is. I'm not sure how the playoff committee will see this, but my angle is you guys are an at large but not a seed unless that pool gets weaker.

I will say you can't control your conference and you guys did schedule what many thought would be a tough Richmond squad to help bolster your SOS. It's just Richmond isn't as good as we thought.

gofurman
October 29th, 2017, 10:55 PM
xlolx look at furman "fans", who aren't really fans seeing as how they don't show up to games or anywhere else the last decade, begging for votes in multiple threads. SAD

furman sucks

I have been at almost every game. Unlike Citadel we don't force attendance by requiring knobs (knobs, really ??? You ever hear the phrase "slob my kn&b ?") to attend games. Weak.

Let it it rest for two weeks until you lose. You just worry about your 3-3 socon team. I'll watch my 5-1 Socon (first place ) team

citdog
October 29th, 2017, 11:13 PM
I have been at almost every game. Unlike Citadel we don't force attendance by requiring knobs (knobs, really ??? You ever hear the phrase "slob my kn&b ?") to attend games. Weak.

Let it it rest for two weeks until you lose. You just worry about your 3-3 socon team. I'll watch my 5-1 Socon (first place ) team

Go furman university christian knight yourself. Wofford is in first place. If EVERY Cadet was awol on a football home Sat we would still outdraw you furple queers by THOUSANDS.

kalm
October 30th, 2017, 05:53 AM
I'm not sure EWU could beat CWU this year

You could be right, they're pretty damn good and EWU transfer QB Reilly Hennessy is tearing up the GNAC.

Agree with the CAA being on par with the BSC. Sagarin and Massey both have the Valley a clear cut #1 with the CAA and BSC a statistical tie. The CAA has more wins but against an easier SoS. The Southern is a little further back.

RootinFerDukes
October 30th, 2017, 06:10 AM
Yes, ad hominem attacks are the answer when presented with facts. IMO JMU is over weighted by the computers because of playing a weak schedule. Not saying that JMU isn't a top 5 team. All I am saying is what is the compelling reason to rate them over NDSU? Because the CAA is down and ECU turned out to be a bust, there is no objective way of rating JMU #1. BTW I have NDSU not #1 multiple times this year, and the previous years. If you have a compelling argument I want to hear it, just no more personal BS attacks.

Personal attack? Calm down there fella. There was nothing personal about that.
The entire back and forth from you began when I pointed out that you’re expecting JMU to fit a set of standards that even your beloved bison don’t meet.
Fbs game? None. Top 10 ooc win, assuming you’re using the more logical current rankings and not “talking about the past”, also not a factor for either team.
How could we meet something that even the bison don’t qualify for? I guess we’re just screwed and should just go ahead and take our rightful place as second best. Defending champions, undefeated and last one to win the head to head game with ndsu be damned! That’s right though, we’re not allowed to talk about the past. Just like a week 2 top 10 ranking is the past.

PantherRob82
October 30th, 2017, 06:17 AM
It’s funny, all this arguing about who should be number one made me question who I had number one in my poll. xlolx

Still James Madison.

katss07
October 30th, 2017, 06:20 AM
No question, JMU is the defending champ and has proved they have it. Until they fall, the Dukes are number 1.

WileECoyote06
October 30th, 2017, 06:28 AM
No question, JMU is the defending champ and has proved they have it. Until they fall, the Dukes are number 1.

That's slot voting! xcoffeex

TheKingpin28
October 30th, 2017, 06:34 AM
That's slot voting! xcoffeex

I tried explaining it, but they choose not to listen.

superman7515
October 30th, 2017, 06:37 AM
Sorry for all the delays this weekend fellas, I bought my first house and this weekend was move out/move in time. I set the computer up Saturday night to get everything typed in, but had to go back to the apartment all day yesterday and last night, so I didn't have computer access or wifi or anything to update. Again, apologies for the delays.

RootinFerDukes
October 30th, 2017, 06:41 AM
Thanks for all you do supe. Also how dare you have a real life.

Serpentor
October 30th, 2017, 06:48 AM
Sorry for all the delays this weekend fellas, I bought my first house and this weekend was move out/move in time. I set the computer up Saturday night to get everything typed in, but had to go back to the apartment all day yesterday and last night, so I didn't have computer access or wifi or anything to update. Again, apologies for the delays.

You mean you don't devote every moment of your life to this website?

WileECoyote06
October 30th, 2017, 07:02 AM
I tried explaining it, but they choose not to listen.

I was being sarcastic.

Professor Chaos
October 30th, 2017, 07:33 AM
I still have JMU as #1 but if NDSU can beat SDSU and USD in the next two weeks (which is far from a given) I don't know how you can keep them out of #1 especially considering JMU has URI and Richmond in that same span.

Some voters get lambasted for preseason prejudice in September and that would be the only excuse to keep JMU at #1 If both they and NDSU are 10-0 come November 12th.

BisonFan02
October 30th, 2017, 08:26 AM

No....I would just call it lazy.

KPSUL
October 30th, 2017, 08:45 AM
So are you in favor of slot voting then? I am asking this as a serious question.

I'm in favor of ranking the team I believe is best as #1. I actually think this whole CAA vs MVFC argument is stupid. We rarely ever play one another and seldom even have common opponents. Whether you like it or not, FCS football has a regional focus. No one has some special insight into the relative strength of teams when their really have no reliable means of comparison. And forget about the Massey and Sagarin data, it is clearly not valid for anything more than a very rough comparison. It is more valid for the P5 FBS teams because the do have more head to head and once removed transitive data to work with. The top pickers using Kentucky Windage in the different AGS Pick-em threads achieve better results selecting FCS winners and losers than Massey and
Sagarin. We have a 24 team playoff to sort all this out after the regular season ends.

Professor Chaos
October 30th, 2017, 08:51 AM
I'm in favor of ranking the team I believe is best as #1. I actually think this whole CAA vs MVFC argument is stupid. We rarely ever play one another and seldom even have common opponents. Whether you like it or not, FCS football has a regional focus. No one has some special insight into the relative strength of teams when their really have no reliable means of comparison. And forget about the Massey and Sagarin data, it is clearly not valid for anything more than a very rough comparison. It is more valid for the P5 FBS teams because the do have more head to head and once removed transitive data to work with. The top pickers using Kentucky Windage in the different AGS Pick-em threads achieve better results selecting FCS winners and losers than Massey and
Sagarin. We have a 24 team playoff to sort all this out after the regular season ends.
There's the rub also. You can vote based on who you think is the most deserving or you can vote based on who you think is the best. If you use the "who I think is best" strategy there's really no objective means anywhere to refute/confirm your position. If you go by the "who I think is most deserving" strategy there's absolutely some value to be had in computer rankings, SOS, comparing best wins, etc. It doesn't mean much in the end due to the playoffs like you allude to but, like rankings in general, it's an interesting talker nonetheless.

Thundar
October 30th, 2017, 08:59 AM
People know on the spreadsheet provided there are some pretty nice numbers if they scroll over?

Take a look and ask yourself if your voting correct..i used to vote in the poll thought they were great to make a call especially close teams

kalm
October 30th, 2017, 09:05 AM
People know on the spreadsheet provided there are some pretty nice numbers if they scroll over?

Take a look and ask yourself if your voting correct..i used to vote in the poll thought they were great to make a call especially close teams

This. If you objectively look at these numbers you can develop a fairly decent poll. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Daytripper
October 30th, 2017, 09:07 AM
If North Carolina A&T wins next week I think I will vote them #1 just to watch AGS implode.....

KPSUL
October 30th, 2017, 09:08 AM
There's the rub also. You can vote based on who you think is the most deserving or you can vote based on who you think is the best. If you use the "who I think is best" strategy there's really no objective means anywhere to refute/confirm your position. If you go by the "who I think is most deserving" strategy there's absolutely some value to be had in computer rankings, SOS, comparing best wins, etc. It doesn't mean much in the end due to the playoffs like you allude to but, like rankings in general, it's an interesting talker nonetheless.

Best vs Deserving? Using one definition of "deserving" I think Columbia, Rhode Island and Missouri State are most deserving, since they haven't had winning seasons in decades. Using another, I think JMU is more deserving since they defeated the #2 team in the playoffs and haven't lost a game since. But personally I like selecting what I think is the "best" team in FCS football as #1. And I think everyone else has the right to do the same.

jmufan999
October 30th, 2017, 09:12 AM
i'm not going to get bent out of shape about the rankings, but some of the justifications are odd. we didn't beat UNH by enough, guess? if the score had been 35-14, no one would have said a word. it's a 21 point win regardless. but because we *only* scored 21, that's worse somehow. but it also ignores the fact that we held a team previously scoring 30 points per game to 0.

again, NOT bent out of shape about it. rank however you want. just saying that reasoning is strange to me.

Professor Chaos
October 30th, 2017, 09:20 AM
Best vs Deserving? Using one definition of "deserving" I think Columbia, Rhode Island and Missouri State are most deserving, since they haven't had winning seasons in decades. Using another, I think JMU is more deserving since they defeated the #2 team in the playoffs and haven't lost a game since. But personally I like selecting what I think is the "best" team in FCS football as #1. And I think everyone else has the right to do the same.
Fine, I'll spell it out for you. Most deserving means who has done more this year to deserve a particular ranking when comparing two teams. Best means whatever you want it to mean. Like I said, there's no objective argument for or against the "I don't care whether they deserve it less or not I think they're better" argument. You can use that same argument to put Columbia into the top 25 this year if you really want. You can vote using whatever methodology you want but there's no denying which one is more objective.

dbackjon
October 30th, 2017, 09:21 AM
No....I would just call it lazy.
Just like the voters who when a team isn't in their preseason top 25, require a higher standard to vote for those teams

RootinFerDukes
October 30th, 2017, 09:48 AM
i'm not going to get bent out of shape about the rankings, but some of the justifications are odd. we didn't beat UNH by enough, guess? if the score had been 35-14, no one would have said a word. it's a 21 point win regardless. but because we *only* scored 21, that's worse somehow. but it also ignores the fact that we held a team previously scoring 30 points per game to 0.

again, NOT bent out of shape about it. rank however you want. just saying that reasoning is strange to me.

It's okay if they only scored 21 or 28 against their conference's teams, because they're SO GOOD and their defenses are THAT STOUT. Any other conference? Yeah that team just sucks and isn't worth putting in the rankings.

You see a trend?

KPSUL
October 30th, 2017, 10:25 AM
Fine, I'll spell it out for you. Most deserving means who has done more this year to deserve a particular ranking when comparing two teams. Best means whatever you want it to mean. Like I said, there's no objective argument for or against the "I don't care whether they deserve it less or not I think they're better" argument. You can use that same argument to put Columbia into the top 25 this year if you really want. You can vote using whatever methodology you want but there's no denying which one is more objective.

Your definition, and your certainly welcome to use it.

POD Knows
October 30th, 2017, 10:29 AM
I still have JMU as #1 but if NDSU can beat SDSU and USD in the next two weeks (which is far from a given) I don't know how you can keep them out of #1 especially considering JMU has URI and Richmond in that same span.

Some voters get lambasted for preseason prejudice in September and that would be the only excuse to keep JMU at #1 If both they and NDSU are 10-0 come November 12th.If the Bison beat both SDSU and USD and JMU remains undefeated, I will probably move NDSU to #1 given the "possible" SOS.

Bison56
October 30th, 2017, 10:29 AM
It's okay if they only scored 21 or 28 against their conference's teams, because they're SO GOOD and their defenses are THAT STOUT. Any other conference? Yeah that team just sucks and isn't worth putting in the rankings.

You see a trend?

If you cry harder it helps sometimes.xbawlingx

Bison56
October 30th, 2017, 10:42 AM
If the Bison beat both SDSU and USD and JMU remains undefeated, I will probably move NDSU to #1 given the "possible" SOS.

If that happens the crying will be epic.xthumbsupx

TheKingpin28
October 30th, 2017, 04:52 PM

Professor beat me to it, but if you vote objectively using analytics, it makes it harder to be "wrong" and/or "biased".

centennial
October 30th, 2017, 05:10 PM
If that happens the crying will be epic.xthumbsupx

It doesn't matter. If NDSU beating 4 teams better than anyone on JMU schedule doesn't matter than 6 won't either.

Hurr durr NDSU lost JMU last year. Hurt durr CAA is better than the MVFC. Hurt durr teams never play each other so we can't really judge them.

Write an email to Massey and Sagarin if you think you have a problem. The funny thing is that most of the people complaining don't even know enough about math to even begin to understand how these ratings work. Because of they did they wouldn't be **** talking them, or they are out right homers.

gofurman
October 30th, 2017, 07:10 PM
Go furman university christian knight yourself. Wofford is in first place. If EVERY Cadet was awol on a football home Sat we would still outdraw you furple queers by THOUSANDS.

AWOL? Please don't insult REAL military institutions by using military terms. You can graduate from the citadel and go sell 'Bath and body works' the next day. All of my Citadel friends (several) defer when I note that fact vs say, the Academies where you owe 4/5 years of military service upon graduation

what kills them is this from my family : http://www.denverpost.com/2009/05/22/west-point-grad-is-7th-of-generations/

THINK about that before any reply. We have had SEVEN CONSECUTIVE generations graduate from West Point - the most of any family in American history!!!! Most. Ever. In. America. - Since the 1830s we have had someone in each generation graduate from West Point. How many consecutive generations has your family had graduate from an academy ? 1 ? Maybe 2? Weak sauce. If you can't at least name family members graduating from an academy in the WW1 era you haven't done much. 😉

Look man, in all seriousness, before you get all defensive please realize it would be a much better look for you - and your pro-military/American slant - to just congratulate my family on this feat instead of taking the defensive route

the longest consecutive streak of graduates at a service academy. EVER

citdog
October 30th, 2017, 07:19 PM
AWOL? Please don't insult REAL military institutions by using military terms. You can graduate from the citadel and go sell 'Bath and body works' the next day. All of my Citadel friends (several) defer when I note that fact vs say, the Academies where you owe 4/5 years of military service upon graduation

what kills them is this from my family : http://www.denverpost.com/2009/05/22/west-point-grad-is-7th-of-generations/

THINK about that before any reply. We have had SEVEN CONSECUTIVE generations graduate from West Point - the most of any family in American history!!!! Most. Ever. In. America. - Since the 1830s we have had someone in each generation graduate from West Point. How many consecutive generations has your family had graduate from an academy ? 1 ? Maybe 2? Weak sauce. If you can't at least name family members graduating from an academy in the WW1 era you haven't done much. 😉

Look man, in all seriousness, before you get all defensive please realize it would be a much better look for you - and your pro-military/American slant - to just congratulate my family on this feat instead of taking the defensive route

That's impressive but what does that have to do with the fact that furman sucks?

citdog
October 30th, 2017, 07:20 PM

That's impressive but what does that have to do with the fact that furman sucks?