PDA

View Full Version : UNH @ #1 JMU

jmufan999
October 25th, 2017, 12:28 PM
third time these teams have met in the last two years. according to Houston, Knight is much improved so he will be a real test for our defense. O'Connor sounds like he's killing it as well. I believe Rob Ambrose also singled out O'Connor as being a really special player.

JMU's defense has been nasty, and here's a stat that jumps off the page. The Dukes have only allowed 8 red zone trips all season. UNH gets to the red zone about 4 times per game, so something will have to give.

Mattymc727
October 25th, 2017, 03:01 PM
This could get ugly for UNH. Cant turn the ball over and would need exceptional offensive line play to keep it close (which hasn't been a strong suit this year). Defensively, UNH may hold up ok, but not for long if the offense cant score.

jmufan999
October 25th, 2017, 03:17 PM
This could get ugly for UNH. Cant turn the ball over and would need exceptional offensive line play to keep it close (which hasn't been a strong suit this year). Defensively, UNH may hold up ok, but not for long if the offense cant score.

you hit the nail on the head. fortunately for UNH, JMU has become a turnover machine on offense this year. I watched a bit of the 2nd JMU/UNH game last year, and heard "that is only Schor's 4th interception this year." he's already thrown 8 this year, although not all have been his fault. the point is that we'll probably turn it over about two times in this game. you'll need to score TDs on a short field when that happens. FGs won't cut it.

th0m
October 25th, 2017, 03:19 PM
you hit the nail on the head. fortunately for UNH, JMU has become a turnover machine on offense this year. I watched a bit of the 2nd JMU/UNH game last year, and heard "that is only Schor's 4th interception this year." he's already thrown 8 this year, although not all have been his fault. the point is that we'll probably turn it over about two times in this game. you'll need to score TDs on a short field when that happens. FGs won't cut it.

We've definitely turned it over a bunch more this year but we're still well in the plus column on takeaways. Of course, last week helped!

jmufan999
October 25th, 2017, 03:23 PM
We've definitely turned it over a bunch more this year but we're still well in the plus column on takeaways. Of course, last week helped!

Bob. Mother. F***ing. Trott.

Thank you, Spatters. Thank you for Bob MF'ing Trott.

th0m
October 25th, 2017, 03:34 PM
I was just going over the CAA stat sheet: http://static.caasports.com/custompages/stats/FB/2017/confldrs.htm

Lots of things stand out, like you said the redzone defense, but something else, protecting the QB will be huge for UNH. They got sacked 23 times for 156yds lost, almost double that of JMU. Add to that we lead the sacks by stat as well with 24 on the year...

HENJOHN
October 25th, 2017, 06:03 PM
JMUs Offense gets alot of attention and Schor and company are really good but I was even more impressed with JMUs Defense. They are nasty and fast and play with a chip. Going to be hard for UNH down there against that D.

jmu007
October 25th, 2017, 06:38 PM
JMU’s defense has been fun to watch this year. By far the strength of the 2017 team. I’m really pumped to see them take on UNH this week.

RootinFerDukes
October 25th, 2017, 06:47 PM
JMUs Offense gets alot of attention and Schor and company are really good but I was even more impressed with JMUs Defense. They are nasty and fast and play with a chip. Going to be hard for UNH down there against that D.

Our defense is outplaying our offense so far this season. The opposite of last season to this point. Our D didn’t start clicking until week 11 of the regular season.

KPSUL
October 25th, 2017, 08:29 PM
A New Hampshire win might take divine intervention, or at least a 4-1 turnover advantage. JMU is that good and really hitting stride now. Although I'll be there and hoping for the best. I do think it will take a team with some offensive fire power plus a fair amount of good fortune. For all the good defensive teams in the CAA this season, there is a shortage of offense. I'd say UNH, Richmond and Elon all have a punchers chance. I'd put SB at the top of the list, but they don't play the Dukes in the regular season.

Mattymc727
October 26th, 2017, 06:34 AM
It really comes down to the UNH oline for me. Its just not very good right now. Lot of young guys and too much rotation this season. Knight has certainly been improving, and they do have good receiving talent too, but if they cant protect Knight or run the ball, it doesn't matter.

Don't forget the trick play element. UNH has never been wary to use some of its craziest plays against better talent to help even the score. If this game is close in the 3rd quarter, id expect the unexpected...

Regardless, hopefully both teams don't get anyone hurt. We are at a crucial time of the season for injuries. Could derail a season now.

jmufan999
October 26th, 2017, 07:26 AM
Don't forget the trick play element. UNH has never been wary to use some of its craziest plays against better talent to help even the score. If this game is close in the 3rd quarter, id expect the unexpected...

no question, and i'm assuming the first TD will be followed by a "surprise" two point conversion (really shouldn't be much of a surprise at this point). although I believe you guys kicked a PAT last year on the first TD, then went for 2 on the second TD drive.

UNHWildcat18
October 26th, 2017, 09:45 AM
I just hope UNH keeps it close, can't afford a blowout loss.

jmufan999
October 26th, 2017, 10:07 AM
no question, and i'm assuming the first TD will be followed by a "surprise" two point conversion (really shouldn't be much of a surprise at this point). although I believe you guys kicked a PAT last year on the first TD, then went for 2 on the second TD drive.

it also wouldn't shock me to see a surprise onside kick. maybe to open the game? going to have to take some chances. probably a ton of 4th down conversion attempts, too.

jmu007
October 26th, 2017, 10:18 AM
I expect this game to take a turn to the conservative until the ice gets broken on the scoreboard. If either team goes up 2 score, this could get crazy really fast. Out of curiosity, is UNH rolling the QB a lot this year given the commentary in previous posts about the O-Line or is it more straight ahead read-option like years past?

I ask, because it seems like JMU has gotten a lot of turnovers when QB's roll towards the sideline this year.

UNH72Plus
October 26th, 2017, 10:21 AM
third time these teams have met in the last two years. according to Houston, Knight is much improved so he will be a real test for our defense. O'Connor sounds like he's killing it as well. I believe Rob Ambrose also singled out O'Connor as being a really special player.

JMU's defense has been nasty, and here's a stat that jumps off the page. The Dukes have only allowed 8 red zone trips all season. UNH gets to the red zone about 4 times per game, so something will have to give.

Unfortunately, UNH has had some major miscues in the red zone with stupid penalties, sacks, and poor play calling.

The offense seems to be getting more in sync with a young line playing really well against a decent Towson defense last week. The #3 and #5 running backs ran for 187 and 104 yards respectively last week and Knight threw 4 TD passes.

The defense also played very well against a poor Towson offense and has started to get some key players back on the field after suffering early injuries. However, it looks like last year 3rd team All-CAA safety sophomore Pop Lacey will miss another game.

I don't think anyone up here is predicting a UNH win, but we'd like to see a decent effort. Particularly after the totally inexplicable, humiliating loss to Holy Cross earlier in the year. As others have stated, a hard fought game with no injuries would be nice.

caa51
October 26th, 2017, 11:34 AM
It really comes down to the UNH oline for me. Its just not very good right now. Lot of young guys and too much rotation this season. Knight has certainly been improving, and they do have good receiving talent too, but if they cant protect Knight or run the ball, it doesn't matter.

Regardless, hopefully both teams don't get anyone hurt. We are at a crucial time of the season for injuries. Could derail a season now.

UNH at the top of the CAA in many offensive categories, the OL must be doing something right. As for too much rotation the same 5 guys have played together 6 of their 7 games. Doesn't sound like too much rotation to me!!!

KPSUL
October 26th, 2017, 12:36 PM
I expect this game to take a turn to the conservative until the ice gets broken on the scoreboard. If either team goes up 2 score, this could get crazy really fast. Out of curiosity, is UNH rolling the QB a lot this year given the commentary in previous posts about the O-Line or is it more straight ahead read-option like years past?

The vast majority of UNH pass plays are designed out of the pocket. Knight rolls out normally to avoid the rush when the blocking breaks down. After watching Mike Houston's Tuesday press conf., he got it pretty accurate about Knight, albeit with a bit of exaggeration. Knight throws "ok" on the move, but certainly not yet as good as we heard from Coach Houston, or as good as Bryan Schor. He has gotten a lot better at deciding when to scramble and when to just throw the ball away - last season he took sacks that he is not taking this year. When he is on the run he is very elusive.

I come down on your side in terms of the game starting with relatively conservative play. There will be no 1st Qtr on-side kicks or going for 4th and 1 on their own side of the fifty. Going for two has become a UNH trademark, so whether we like it or not, that is likely to happen: IF we score a TD in the 1st half.

Dukie95
October 26th, 2017, 12:55 PM
The local beat writer does a weekly preview podcast. It is excellent. Includes interviews from JMU's O and D coordinators and McDonnell. Definitely worth a listen.

https://t.co/w92RYgOmrj

WCU-Cats!
October 26th, 2017, 02:46 PM
mike houston just keeps on rolling

RootinFerDukes
October 26th, 2017, 06:14 PM
A New Hampshire win might take divine intervention, or at least a 4-1 turnover advantage. JMU is that good and really hitting stride now. Although I'll be there and hoping for the best. I do think it will take a team with some offensive fire power plus a fair amount of good fortune. For all the good defensive teams in the CAA this season, there is a shortage of offense. I'd say UNH, Richmond and Elon all have a punchers chance. I'd put SB at the top of the list, but they don't play the Dukes in the regular season.

The problem with those offense teams is their defenses are suspect. Stony brook may be more balanced overall, but balanced and productive enough to beat JMU?

KPSUL
October 26th, 2017, 06:40 PM
The problem with those offense teams is their defenses are suspect. Stony brook may be more balanced overall, but balanced and productive enough to beat JMU?

I'm not saying that any of the mentioned teams will or should beat JMU, just that they have a chance. SB has all the offensive weapons, but IMO they still play a little too conservatively on that side of the ball. Their defense may lack a stand-out like Victor Ochi, but it is loaded with 2016 2nd and 3rd Team All Conference players. We won't see it unless it happens in the playoffs, but they could be the toughest CAA match-up for JMU.

caribbeanhen
October 26th, 2017, 07:12 PM

So James Madison's going undefeated this year ?

How would you feel about playing Delaware again and round two of the playoffs ?

RootinFerDukes
October 26th, 2017, 08:51 PM

If we play to our potential, yes 11-0 isn’t out of the question. I think our greatest chance of a loss (UD or VU) is behind us.
Our four remaining opponents have some of the lower end defenses so far this season in the caa. Our defense is looking like the league’s best except perhaps statistically trailing VU and UD in rushing D, albeit not by much.
SB or UD are possibilities to be sent to Harrisonburg due to regionalization. They sent unh the last two years (or would have). They’ll certainly send the two closer schools.

StrikeJMU
October 26th, 2017, 08:52 PM

I'd love to watch the 3rd best defense in the CAA play the Dukes.

caribbeanhen
October 26th, 2017, 09:30 PM
I'd love to watch the 3rd best defense in the CAA play the Dukes.

third best in the CAA equals fifth best in the country,

Probably be a good debate on why so many of the top defenses are in the CAA
is it really the defense of lack of talent on offense

jmufan999
October 27th, 2017, 09:28 AM
Our defense is looking like the league’s best except perhaps statistically trailing VU and UD in rushing D, albeit not by much.

no we're ahead of UD there, too. 3 ypc for JMU with 4 TDs allowed, 3.23 ypc for UD with 4 TDs. very close.

Probably be a good debate on why so many of the top defenses are in the CAA
is it really the defense of lack of talent on offense

i'd lean toward the second part. I don't see a lot of elite QB play this year. but maybe i'm wrong and the defenses are just that good. kind of hard to tell.

jmu007
October 27th, 2017, 11:41 AM
Considering the OOC play of JMU, VU, and UD vs ECU , Temple, and VA Tech respectively, I'd argue the defensive play is just that good so far. At least for those top 3 units.

Punchy
October 27th, 2017, 12:34 PM
Will this game be televised? I think it will be a good one!

jmufan999
October 27th, 2017, 12:38 PM
Will this game be televised? I think it will be a good one!

believe it's on Madizone only. jmusports.com/madizone (I think)

KPSUL
October 27th, 2017, 01:55 PM
i'd lean toward the second part. I don't see a lot of elite QB play this year.

I second this minority opinion. Certainly there are some good defensive teams in the CAA, but We don't have as many quality QBs as we did 3-4 years ago. You also can't truly evaluate any defense totally separate from the offense and special teams. One complements the play of the other two.

KPSUL
October 27th, 2017, 02:02 PM

IF Delaware makes the playoffs, and IF they get to the 2nd round, you might want to wish for a different round 2 opponent. I understand though, you guys haven't been in a long while and you've likely forgotten what it is all about.

jmufan999
October 27th, 2017, 03:22 PM
I second this minority opinion. Certainly there are some good defensive teams in the CAA, but We don't have as many quality QBs as we did 3-4 years ago. You also can't truly evaluate any defense totally separate from the offense and special teams. One complements the play of the other two.

let's put it this way: who's winning the CAA POY?

th0m
October 27th, 2017, 03:26 PM
I'd say Lauletta is the frontrunner, Josh Mack as an outsider?

iBOsbu
October 27th, 2017, 03:37 PM
JMU wins by 4 touchdowns.

caribbeanhen
October 27th, 2017, 03:46 PM
IF Delaware makes the playoffs, and IF they get to the 2nd round, you might want to wish for a different round 2 opponent. I understand though, you guys haven't been in a long while and you've likely forgotten what it is all about.

if all of that happens, Delaware will have nothing to lose and James Madison Will be the ones that are sweating bullets

KPSUL
October 27th, 2017, 07:41 PM
if all of that happens, Delaware will have nothing to lose and James Madison Will be the ones that are sweating bullets

Mike Houston thrives under any kind of pressure.

jmufan999
October 27th, 2017, 07:43 PM

agree on Lauletta, i bet Schor would be #2, though. QBs always tend to get the nod especially when winning. tough exercise to pick POY this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dwtime
October 28th, 2017, 01:45 PM
No delusions about this one, I hope we are competitive.

dwtime
October 28th, 2017, 01:46 PM

I would put UNH's WR O'Connor up against anyone at this point. 883 yds, 9 TDs, 14.7 yds per catch, 126 yds per game.

dwtime
October 28th, 2017, 05:37 PM
UNH defense put up a great effort today. Bad special teams and not scoring when inside the red zone was UNH's undoing. JMU has a great defense, not sure they have enough offense to go all the way this year but I will be cheering them on as the go into the playoffs.

jmu007
October 28th, 2017, 05:45 PM
Best defense in jmu history. Today cemented it. Finally got the shutout they’ve been fighting for all year.

Mattymc727
October 28th, 2017, 06:18 PM
Exactly what we thought. UNH May hang for a bit, but the offense was exposed by a great JMU defense. I think Both teams could win out and there may be a rematch (not that I want one...)

Dukie95
October 29th, 2017, 07:19 AM
Yeah. JMU's offense misses Abdullah more than we thought they would. Their defense, though....if you haven't been watching JMU, you might not realize how great they've been if you're just looking at stats and scores. W&M was also basically a shutout with two late garbage-time TDs (one was a lucky bounce)

Completely took O'Connor out of this game.

jmu007
October 29th, 2017, 07:30 AM
Actually, take away late garbage time scores and turnovers / special teams scores and the defense has pitches 3 or 4 shutouts this season. They really are fun to watch.

DirtyDukes
October 29th, 2017, 03:18 PM
JMU O is running probably 20% of the playbook.