PDA

View Full Version : Montana Starting Safety Arrested For Felony Assault

ALPHAGRIZ1
October 24th, 2017, 01:00 PM
http://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/griz-safety-justin-strong-arrested-booked-for-felony-assault-in/article_58cc4dd8-e6d0-54c0-8b58-55d70889cbdc.html

Leader of the pack..........

ursus arctos horribilis
October 24th, 2017, 01:07 PM
Wonder if it was a bar fight or do you know more on it Alf?

grizband
October 24th, 2017, 01:12 PM
Fight at a house party, potentially other Griz players there (but not involved); also, potentially a case of self defense. There are all things I've gathered reading egriz this this was announced last night; let's wait for all the details to appear before passing judgement.

dewey
October 24th, 2017, 01:13 PM
This is all that needs to be done right now.

"We need to understand more about what happened," Haslam said. "We don't know enough of the details."

Dewey

ursus arctos horribilis
October 24th, 2017, 01:31 PM
Fight at a house party, potentially other Griz players there (but not involved); also, potentially a case of self defense. There are all things I've gathered reading egriz this this was announced last night; let's wait for all the details to appear before passing judgement.

I always do. I've had assault charges pressed against me for a fight where I was swung on first so until some details come out I don't jump on any know it all type bandwagon. Hell when that happened with the NDSU guy a few years back I was completely on the side of not blaming him for it just because he was one of two and he's more known...that is chicken**** thinking if you ask me.

As it turned out he was defending himselff. Not necessarily gonna believe second hand off of eGriz but I can tell you the winner of a fight is usually the one getting charged no matter how it went down.

But it's also real possible he was a drunk dick and charges are completely legit.

I am not really a big fan of off weekends though because this **** always seems to happen on those interim's.

grizband
October 24th, 2017, 01:35 PM
I always do. I've had assault charges pressed against me for a fight where I was swung on first so until some details come out I don't jump on any know it all type bandwagon. Hell when that happened with the NDSU guy a few years back I was completely on the side of not blaming him for it just because he was one of two and he's more known...that is chicken**** thinking if you ask me.

As it turned out he was defending himselff. Not necessarily gonna believe second hand off of eGriz but I can tell you the winner of a fight is usually the one getting charged no matter how it went down.

But it's also real possible he was a drunk dick and charges are completely legit.

I am not really a big fan of off weekends though because this **** always seems to happen on those interim's.
Didn't mean to imply you would, Ursus! I don't believe everything on egriz, but if you sift through enough you can usually find some semblance of truth xrotatehx Unfortunately, you are correct in your assertion that the winner of a fight is usually the person convicted; sort of during a game, the person who retaliates usually draws the penalty.

ALPHAGRIZ1
October 24th, 2017, 01:39 PM
Wonder if it was a bar fight or do you know more on it Alf?I will call you later and catch you up

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ursus arctos horribilis
October 24th, 2017, 01:55 PM
I will call you later and catch you up

Sweet.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 24th, 2017, 01:56 PM
Didn't mean to imply you would, Ursus! I don't believe everything on egriz, but if you sift through enough you can usually find some semblance of truth xrotatehx Unfortunately, you are correct in your assertion that the winner of a fight is usually the person convicted; sort of during a game, the person who retaliates usually draws the penalty.

I didn't take it that way, was just agreeing with your assessment.xthumbsupx

grizband
October 24th, 2017, 02:37 PM
I will call you later and catch you up

Sweet.
Well now I'm really curious!

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't take it that way, was just agreeing with your assessment.xthumbsupx
Good to know! xthumbsupx

JSUBison
October 24th, 2017, 05:29 PM

That was partially caught on CCTV. IIRC, Travis walks into an alley and the two instigators follow him in there. Couple minutes later Travis walks out, and those dudes that went in the alley after him are no longer following him, lol. CCTV didn't capture what happened in the alley, only had view of the sidewalk.

Lorne_Malvo
October 24th, 2017, 05:34 PM
2 witnesses have the same story, contrary to Strong's.
The kid is screwed and will be lucky not to do time.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 24th, 2017, 05:49 PM
That was partially caught on CCTV. IIRC, Travis walks into an alley and the two instigators follow him in there. Couple minutes later Travis walks out, and those dudes that went in the alley after him are no longer following him, lol. CCTV didn't capture what happened in the alley, only had view of the sidewalk.

Yup, I remember seeing it and being fully on his side on that one.

Lorne_Malvo
October 24th, 2017, 06:05 PM
Yup, I remember seeing it and being fully on his side on that one.

Lol. Following Travis Beck into a dark alley is probably not the choice I would make.

http://www.collegesports360.com/_Media/travis_beck_2011_headshots_med.jpeg

jadmt
October 24th, 2017, 06:15 PM
2 witnesses have the same story, contrary to Strong's.
The kid is screwed and will be lucky not to do time.

are the witnesses independent witnesses or are they buddies of the other party? Too many unknowns right now. Obviously there have not been charges filed yet by the prosecution which could mean a couple of things one of them being not enough evidence to file charges or this other kid is in really bad shape and more serious charges will be filed.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 24th, 2017, 06:16 PM
Lol. Following Travis Beck into a dark alley is probably not the choice I would make.

http://www.collegesports360.com/_Media/travis_beck_2011_headshots_med.jpeg

Doesn't really seem like a move a wiser man makes.

Lorne, how did you get the previous information you posted? Is that out in the net somewhere cuz I haven't really had time to look at anything today outside of this thread.

jadmt
October 24th, 2017, 06:18 PM
Doesn't really seem like a move a wiser man makes.

Lorne, how did you get the previous information you posted? Is that out in the net somewhere cuz I haven't really had time to look at anything today outside of this thread.
it is on the Missoulian.com site so you know it has to be true lol

dbackjon
October 24th, 2017, 07:00 PM
I love reading egriz on things like this to see how many different spins PlayerRep can come up with.

MTfan4life
October 24th, 2017, 08:41 PM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/oct/23/university-of-montana-football-player-accused-of-a/

Pullman police were called shortly after midnight Saturday to a fight on Stadium Way and found a 23-year-old man unresponsive and suffering from severe head injuries...flown to Providence Sacred Heart Medical Center in Spokane to be treated for a skull fracture.
Citing court documents, Pullman Radio News reported that Strong told police the victim tried to assault him when he tried to break up an altercation at a house party. Strong told police he later approached the victim outside and hit him once, knocking him to the ground, and a second time as the victim tried to get up.

Strong reportedly claimed he acted in self-defense, and police noted he had minor facial injuries, the radio station reported. A witness, meanwhile, told police that the victim had been chased by three males and was assaulted even though he held up his hands showing he didn’t want to fight.

Other places report that there was an altercation going on inside and while strong tried to break it up, the victim essentially cheap shot him from behind. Then he, and two WSU students went after the guy and probably did a little overkill on him. It'll be interesting to hear if the other two are on WSU's team as Strong's brother does play for the Cougs. All in all, this is a fight at a college party. Sometimes athlete's are given the opportunity to serve their punishment through suspension and such and given a chance to earn their stripes and respect back. There was a case when I was out in Missoula when a few freshman jumped a guy they thought had wronged them, I think a girl was involved in that belief. Anyway, those guys were in the doghouse for a long time, but after earning their way back, they did end up playing again a couple years down the line. With Strong being a senior, though, I wouldn't be surprised if he has played his last game as a Griz. There's no more eligibility to earn his way back.

jadmt
October 24th, 2017, 09:12 PM
actually Strong said he believed the victim punched him so he and his friends chased him down and beat him. Not really self defense. you run after someone and I doubt a hammer thrower is going to outrun a DB if so that would be pretty embarrassing for the DB. Reading the account is pretty screwed up. Regardless any prosecutor is going to have an easy time disproving a self defense case when the victim was running away. At one point you may have mutual combatants but once somebody is running away that person is more likely able to prove he was acting in self defense. I am not a lawyer but watched some lawyer TV shows......

ALPHAGRIZ1
October 24th, 2017, 09:13 PM
http://static.lakana.com/bmg-kecitv-media-us-east-1/document_dev/2017/10/24/Affidavit%20of%20Probable%20Cause_1508870976791_90 77338_ver1.0.pdf

dewey
October 24th, 2017, 09:19 PM
http://static.lakana.com/bmg-kecitv-media-us-east-1/document_dev/2017/10/24/Affidavit%20of%20Probable%20Cause_1508870976791_90 77338_ver1.0.pdf

The person stated that the cousin played football for Montana State...that is insulting!

Dewey

ursus arctos horribilis
October 24th, 2017, 09:59 PM
If that account is true and I have no reason to believe it is not then he's toast and so should the accomplices be.

You can not be in fear for your well being and chasing the guy that you state you fear. Certainly hope Meying will be Ok but this is really horrible **** man.

Catbooster
October 24th, 2017, 11:23 PM
The person stated that the cousin played football for Montana State...that is insulting to Montana State!

Dewey
FYP You forgot the last few words. ;)

Catbooster
October 24th, 2017, 11:52 PM
That sucks. It seems a lack of judgement for one "fun" night may have a huge negative effect on several young lives.

Thundar
October 25th, 2017, 06:25 AM
actually Strong said he believed the victim punched him so he and his friends chased him down and beat him. Not really self defense. you run after someone and I doubt a hammer thrower is going to outrun a DB if so that would be pretty embarrassing for the DB. Reading the account is pretty screwed up. Regardless any prosecutor is going to have an easy time disproving a self defense case when the victim was running away. At one point you may have mutual combatants but once somebody is running away that person is more likely able to prove he was acting in self defense. I am not a lawyer but watched some lawyer TV shows......

If only you had stayed at Holiday Inn Express, this would be legit

Bisonator
October 25th, 2017, 09:17 AM
If that account is true and I have no reason to believe it is not then he's toast and so should the accomplices be.

You can not be in fear for your well being and chasing the guy that you state you fear. Certainly hope Meying will be Ok but this is really horrible **** man.
Yeah I'm like you and like to wait until facts come out before being too critical but this does not sound good.

dbackjon
October 25th, 2017, 12:55 PM
https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/923239285578272768?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fegriz.com%2Fgrizboard%2Fviewt opic.php%3Ft%3D77771%26start%3D200

Not going to Weber

BadlandsGrizFan
October 25th, 2017, 02:27 PM
I love reading egriz on things like this to see how many different spins PlayerRep can come up with.

Please dont associate PlayaRep with thew rest of egriz...or montana...or humanity.

BisonTru
October 25th, 2017, 02:34 PM
Yeah I think Montana should just move on from this kid. He's a senior iirc. The story doesn't sound good and even if legally he ends up cleared the story isn't going away.

Plus it's not like Stitt isn't going to wear down his defense forcing them to defend 90 plays and most of the clock. Get that awesome offense on the field quicker. :D

Silenoz
October 25th, 2017, 02:47 PM
I've already written him off. Most of the key contributors are young anways, might as well continue to play Epperly or burn a redshirt

dbackjon
October 25th, 2017, 03:26 PM
Please dont associate PlayaRep with thew rest of egriz...or montana...or humanity.

LOL It is just funny how many ways he can twist himself to defend an athlete on anything.

Catbooster
October 25th, 2017, 03:59 PM
Come on, we all know that's the typical Griz fan. I'm sure if I poll BobcatNation they will confirm it.

xeyebrowx

;)

ALPHAGRIZ1
October 25th, 2017, 06:07 PM
Please dont associate PlayaRep with thew rest of egriz...or montana...or humanity.WTF ever that assclowns IS everything that is eGriz. 99% of the posters there are just like him.

In fact you might want to do a quick self evaluation.

We will wait

ALPHAGRIZ1
October 25th, 2017, 06:07 PM
Oh gee.......I wonder who this is.............

http://www.abcfoxmontana.com/story/36684502/second-griz-football-player-a-person-of-interest-in-wsu-assault

jadmt
October 25th, 2017, 06:46 PM
Dumb asses. Hopefully free up scholarships for Montana kids

grizband
October 25th, 2017, 06:52 PM
Dumb asses. Hopefully free up scholarships for Montana kids
Stop it with the "they all need to be Montana kids"

BisonTru
October 25th, 2017, 06:58 PM
Considering you guys don't use fullbacks and tight ends, I wouldn't spend a ton of time recruiting farm/ranch Montana.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grizband
October 25th, 2017, 07:01 PM
Considering you guys don't use fullbacks and tight ends, I wouldn't spend a ton of time recruiting farm/ranch Montana.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We've had plent of skill players, along with lineman and defensive players, from Montana over the years. I just don't subscribe to the belief that everyone on the Griz roster should be native to Montana.

jadmt
October 25th, 2017, 07:26 PM
I agree not all kids need to be Montana kids. Most of the team is made up of good kids. What I don't like is bringing Division I kids in that take scholarships. If there is a reason they are leaving a Division I school there probably is a reason. I think the school needs to do a better job of vetting kids to make sure they don't have baggage. there are many great kids from across the nation lets be picking the kids that are good kids first. Nobody is immune from making mistakes but come on how many mistakes does one have to make before those scholarships need to be passed on to someone else.

jadmt
October 25th, 2017, 08:22 PM
looks like a two game suspension at this point pending further investigation.

POD Knows
October 25th, 2017, 08:26 PM
These guys are going down, they ran outside to catch someone to beat the **** out of him, in self defense?? OK then. Still, innocent until proven guilty.

jadmt
October 25th, 2017, 08:31 PM
I guess it will play out how it plays out. If there is evidence to support felony charges, Strong will be charged but who knows what the witnesses will recollect if anything.

Catbooster
October 27th, 2017, 02:23 AM
Strong suspended for 2 games.
Two other unnamed Grizzly players were with him.
Meyring released from hospital.

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/police-two-other-grizzlies-players-with-strong-during-assault/article_56221477-0cbd-54e9-b8e5-83ae92577ceb.html#tncms-source=home-breaking

veinup
October 27th, 2017, 09:21 AM
what a bummer. way to **** over your team.

hope the victim recovers alright.

wapiti
October 27th, 2017, 09:41 AM
I agree not all kids need to be Montana kids. Most of the team is made up of good kids. What I don't like is bringing Division I kids in that take scholarships. If there is a reason they are leaving a Division I school there probably is a reason. I think the school needs to do a better job of vetting kids to make sure they don't have baggage. there are many great kids from across the nation lets be picking the kids that are good kids first. Nobody is immune from making mistakes but come on how many mistakes does one have to make before those scholarships need to be passed on to someone else.

This implies that UM is not a Div 1 school. UM is a Div 1 school.
I assume you mean you are against bringing in transfers from a FBS school.

jadmt
October 27th, 2017, 10:15 AM
This implies that UM is not a Div 1 school. UM is a Div 1 school.
I assume you mean you are against bringing in transfers from a FBS school.

You are correct I should have said Division 1A FBS school

Grizalltheway
October 27th, 2017, 10:26 AM

Strong left OSU due to lack of playing time and a coaching change. No prior disciplinary issues that I'm aware of.

Silenoz
October 27th, 2017, 11:49 AM
You are correct I should have said Division 1A FBS school
So don't bring in Reese Phillips, Jamaal Jones, Alijah Lee, Keenan Curran, James Banks, Markell Sanders, Craig Ochs, Chad Chalich, Drew Miller, Joe Douglass, Antwan Moutra, Craig Chambers, Kavario Middleton, JD Quinn, Ellis Henderson, Kendrick Van Ackeren, Eric Stoll, Travon Van, etc?

jadmt
October 27th, 2017, 12:13 PM
So don't bring in Reese Phillips, Jamaal Jones, Alijah Lee, Keenan Curran, James Banks, Markell Sanders, Craig Ochs, Chad Chalich, Drew Miller, Joe Douglass, Antwan Moutra, Craig Chambers, Kavario Middleton, JD Quinn, Ellis Henderson, Kendrick Van Ackeren, Eric Stoll, Travon Van, etc?
exactly.

ALPHAGRIZ1
October 27th, 2017, 12:20 PM

Jones, Ochs, Moutra, Douglass and Miller.

The rest were basically worthless and never amounted to much

veinup
October 27th, 2017, 01:09 PM
Jones, Ochs, Moutra, Douglass and Miller.

The rest were basically worthless and never amounted to much

this take is hot.

Grizalltheway
October 27th, 2017, 01:11 PM
this take is hot.
Hot garbage, as usual.

ALPHAGRIZ1
October 27th, 2017, 08:25 PM
Hot garbage, as usual.Yeah......we will wait for the lengthy response of yours listing all the records that have fallen with the players on that list.

Hell combine all their stats and you still might not land in the top 10.

ALPHAGRIZ1
October 28th, 2017, 08:38 AM
Must be quite a list.............I will keep waiting

grizband
October 28th, 2017, 10:18 AM
Good list... but you forgot Tab Perry and Ryan Kessman

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Grizalltheway
October 28th, 2017, 10:48 AM
Yeah......we will wait for the lengthy response of yours listing all the records that have fallen with the players on that list.

Hell combine all their stats and you still might not land in the top 10.

Oh I didn't realize a player had to break records in order to be considered a valuable member of the team. Thanks for enlightening me, oh wise one.

ALPHAGRIZ1
October 28th, 2017, 10:58 AM
Oh I didn't realize a player had to break records in order to be considered a valuable member of the team. Thanks for enlightening me, oh wise one.Way to lower the bar..........the rest of those players are laughable. Records or not they filled space and nothing more.

Just because they are FBS drop downs doesn't make them great football players. Just because somebody at one time said "So and so" is good.....doesnt make them great football players. Hype is hype, it's earned on the gridiron

BisonFan02
October 28th, 2017, 11:26 AM
FBS players do not a championship team make. :D

Keep hitting the reset button with star players and you might strike fools gold here or there.....

ALPHAGRIZ1
October 28th, 2017, 01:55 PM

Keep hitting the reset button with star players and you might strike fools gold here or there.....See.......even 02 gets it! xcoffeex

Silenoz
October 28th, 2017, 09:48 PM
Huh? What percentage of our players have been transfers? Like 5%? So they'd need 5% of the records. How many did Chalich and Jones alone set the last few seasons

And isn't Douglass one of your favorite all-time Griz? I'm not saying relying on them is a good thing, but I appreciate the ones that played at a high level for our program

ALPHAGRIZ1
October 28th, 2017, 11:22 PM
Well we obviously NEED a lot more of those powerhouse FBS drop downs on that list to show up and play for this mediocre team..............they might actually stand out on this Stittshow

Houndawg
October 29th, 2017, 08:34 AM
Way to lower the bar..........the rest of those players are laughable. Records or not they filled space and nothing more.

Just because they are FBS drop downs doesn't make them great football players. Just because somebody at one time said "So and so" is good.....doesnt make them great football players. Hype is hype, it's earned on the gridiron

Still better than the local talent unless we're talking about stump jumpers.xcoffeex

cx500d
October 29th, 2017, 09:15 AM

Keep hitting the reset button with star players and you might strike fools gold here or there.....

That's the main tactic in the Southland Conference.