Nicholls

5-2

Northern Arizona

NR

5-2

Northern Iowa

RV

4-3

Others receiving votes: Delaware (61), Montana (56), Stony Brook (39), Southern Utah (32), Monmouth (31), Kennesaw State (31), The Citadel (5), Dartmouth (4), Southeast Louisiana (4), Columbia (3), N.C. Central (2), Austin Peay (1), Furman (1).

- - - Updated - - -

This poll does not look good. Columbia is only undefeated Ivy and just beat Dartmouth but yet have less receiving votes. UNI is way too low. NCAT and Grambling are both too high. How Delaware and Montana are not ranked is beyond me. I also think Southern Utah should be ranked as well.

Professor Chaos
October 23rd, 2017, 11:19 AM
Like I sad... NC A&T is the most polarizing team in the FCS this year when it comes to rankings.

But this poll has many flaws outside of that. Like UNI well below both SDSU and YSU and Southern Utah inexplicably not ranked.

smallcollegefbfan
October 23rd, 2017, 11:20 AM
This poll looks purely like slot voting. They were not high on Columbia so they could only push them so far up. Coaches need to take this more seriously or stop voting. I love the coaches and appreciate their help with my job but they need to take this more seriously.

wcugrad95
October 23rd, 2017, 11:22 AM
I put something in the other thread on this topic about WCU, but I am also surprised at Furman only getting a single vote. Citadel is getting more votes while Furman only has 1 SoCon loss (a 1-point loss to Wofford). And NCCU is getting more votes than Furman and they are coming off of a loss.

Reign of Terrier
October 23rd, 2017, 11:22 AM
You kind of know this one is BS when 5-3 Furman has less votes than 4-4 Citadel

UNIFanSince1983
October 23rd, 2017, 11:23 AM
What has SDSU done so far that warrants them being 8th still?

melloware13
October 23rd, 2017, 11:25 AM
Duquesne is now a quality win xrotatehx

FargoBison
October 23rd, 2017, 11:26 AM
When is the last time NCA&T beat anyone with a pulse? I mean they were slaughtered by a battered Richmond team in the playoffs last year and they beat a garbage FBS team this year.

Complete joke that a team that wouldn't even finish in the top 6 of the MVFC is #6 in the nation, what a joke of a poll.

smallcollegefbfan
October 23rd, 2017, 11:27 AM
Like I sad... NC A&T is the most polarizing team in the FCS this year when it comes to rankings.

But this poll has many flaws outside of that. Like UNI below both SDSU and YSU and Southern Utah inexplicably not ranked.

I have UNI in the top 10. Polls continue to show me how clueless people are. The record is not what matters. It is who you beat and who you lose to, how much, your talent, health, etc.

In fact, I have UNI, WIU, South Dakota, and NDSU all in the top 10 right now. I have Southern Utah in the top 15 and Southern Illinois in the top 15. How SIU is not in the top 15 is a total joke. Their 3 losses are to UNI, Memphis, and SDSU. I have SDSU and UNI in the top 15 and Memphis is a top 25 FBS team. They only lost to Memphis by two scores. I really believe the top 5 teams in the MVFC right now would win the Patriot League, Pioneer League, SWAC, MEAC, and Ivy League.

FargoBison
October 23rd, 2017, 11:27 AM

They were ranked high once...that is all the slot voters need.

smallcollegefbfan
October 23rd, 2017, 11:28 AM

I have them at 16. They don't deserve to be in the top 10 but with the strength of the MVFC right now they deserve to be in the top 20 for sure.

WestCoastAggie
October 23rd, 2017, 11:29 AM

But this poll has many flaws outside of that. Like UNI well below both SDSU and YSU and Southern Utah inexplicably not ranked.

https://media.tenor.com/images/62cbcc15ba16db2047bc6d97984e36c8/tenor.gif

smallcollegefbfan
When is the last time NCA&T beat anyone with a pulse? I mean they were slaughtered by a battered Richmond team in the playoffs last year and they beat a garbage FBS team this year.

Complete joke that a team that wouldn't even finish in the top 6 of the MVFC is #6 in the nation, what a joke of a poll.

I have 8 MVFC teams ahead of them and NCAT is ranked 20th in my current vote. Charlotte is really bad and probably would not be a top 20 FCS team right now. They had close wins against several MEAC teams who are getting killed by non conference opponents that aren't top 15 in FCS. I almost dropped NCAT out of my top 25 after seeing that it is just parity in some of these other leagues and likely 5-8 teams in some other leagues better than them. I won't drop NCAT as long as they keep winning but it would really help them to turn down the Celebration Bowl and beat someone besides a NEC or Pioneer League champ in the playoffs to get respect in the polls. If they lose a MEAC game I expect even those slot voters to drop them a good 10-15 spots and give them a ceiling of 20 or so. If they were to lose a game I would only drop them another 4-6 slots, depending on how bad they are beaten, because I feel like they are top 30 but no way I can vote them in the top 15 right now based on how close their wins are and the quality of those teams they are beating.

SU DOG
While I'm ecstatic for Samford to be in the uncharted waters of the top 10, I completely agree that Furman and Western Carolina are not being properly respected.

Catbooster
October 23rd, 2017, 11:38 AM
So many things I disagree with in this poll. In the Big Sky, SUU beat Weber, Eastern (and UNI non-conf) and has the same record as UM with a significantly tougher SOS, but is below all of them in voting (not even ranked).

FargoBison
October 23rd, 2017, 11:39 AM
I have 8 MVFC teams ahead of them and NCAT is ranked 20th in my current vote. Charlotte is really bad and probably would not be a top 20 FCS team right now. They had close wins against several MEAC teams who are getting killed by non conference opponents that aren't top 15 in FCS. I almost dropped NCAT out of my top 25 after seeing that it is just parity in some of these other leagues and likely 5-8 teams in some other leagues better than them. I won't drop NCAT as long as they keep winning but it would really help them to turn down the Celebration Bowl and beat someone besides a NEC or Pioneer League champ in the playoffs to get respect in the polls. If they lose a MEAC game I expect even those slot voters to drop them a good 10-15 spots and give them a ceiling of 20 or so. If they were to lose a game I would only drop them another 4-6 slots, depending on how bad they are beaten, because I feel like they are top 30 but no way I can vote them in the top 15 right now based on how close their wins are and the quality of those teams they are beating.

I agree that they should be ranked, don't want to go overboard but at this rate they might end up ranked #2. I'm just shocked at how little effort these voters put in their poll, this would never fly in the FBS.

RowdyRabbit
October 23rd, 2017, 11:41 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfGuEg3PRg4

caribbeanhen
October 23rd, 2017, 11:41 AM
Apparently the new Coaching motto is just lose baby

Delaware can't even crack the top #25

hilarous

Professor Chaos
October 23rd, 2017, 11:43 AM

hilarous
Wow, didn't notice that one but that's just at bad as, if not worse than, missing SUU. Man, this thing is horrendous.

FargoBison
October 23rd, 2017, 11:43 AM

hilarous

Should have scheduled Charlotte instead of Va Tech apparently.

jadmt
October 23rd, 2017, 11:47 AM
makes no sense at all. Montana should be up to 18 or so and so should SUS. EWU should have dropped much further. Oh well next week things will get shook up even more. crazy having a 3-4 team 19 lol.

FargoBison
October 23rd, 2017, 11:50 AM
makes no sense at all. Montana should be up to 18 or so and so should SUS. EWU should have dropped much further. Oh well next week things will get shook up even more. crazy having a 3-4 team 19 lol.

They absolutely should be #19.

Henny
October 23rd, 2017, 11:51 AM

hilarous

What an absolute disgrace. Who ever doesn't think UD is a top 25 team needs their voting revoked or just disband this poll since its not worth anything.

BEAR
October 23rd, 2017, 11:53 AM
https://i.imgflip.com/1y3zyi.jpg

dbackjon
October 23rd, 2017, 11:55 AM
NAU at 24? SUU not ranked?

this poll is the worst I have ever seen.

NAU beat ISUr soundly, morons.

SUU beat three teams you have ranked.

FargoBison
October 23rd, 2017, 11:59 AM
NAU at 24? SUU not ranked?

this poll is the worst I have ever seen.

NAU beat ISUr soundly, morons.

SUU beat three teams you have ranked.

It isn't about who you beat in this poll, it is about where you start out being ranked.

POD Knows
October 23rd, 2017, 11:59 AM

hilarousMaybe it is your fugly helmets that are keeping you out of the Coach's poll.

caribbeanhen
October 23rd, 2017, 12:09 PM
Maybe it is your fugly helmets that are keeping you out of the Coach's poll.

You don't like our helmets POD

that's one thing the aging fan base says can never be changed

DEX
October 23rd, 2017, 12:53 PM

The MEAC champion is obligated to play in the Celebration Bowl. There is no option to turn it down. Admittedly, the strength of schedule just doesn't work in our favor but there's not a lot we can do about that. Gardner Webb was projected to challenge for the BSC championship and we'll never apologize for defeating an FBS team (Charlotte) no matter how bad they are. The only close MEAC win we've had was this weekend vs. Bethune Cookman and their non-conference losses were to fbs teams Miami and FAU.....but I get your point. Realistically we probably should be slotted in the 17 - 20 range.

- - - Updated - - -

The MEAC champion is obligated to play in the Celebration Bowl. There is no option to turn it down. Admittedly, the strength of schedule just doesn't work in our favor but there's not a lot we can do about that. Gardner Webb was projected to challenge for the BSC championship and we'll never apologize for defeating an FBS team (Charlotte) no matter how bad they are. The only close MEAC win we've had was this weekend vs. Bethune Cookman and their non-conference losses were to fbs teams Miami and FAU.....but I get your point. Realistically we probably should be slotted in the 17 - 20 range.

TheKingpin28
October 23rd, 2017, 05:48 PM
This is worse than I thought it was going to be.

grizband
October 23rd, 2017, 06:42 PM
It isn't about who you beat in this poll, it is about where you start out being ranked.
An unfortunate reality with many polls...if you start out unranked, it can be very difficult to work your way into the poll.

Kemo
October 23rd, 2017, 07:10 PM

Nothing but being highly ranked to start the season. Not sure how I feel about slot voting actually benefiting us for once.

On the flip side, though, if SDSU actually manages to get their sh#t together and win out against #14 WIU, #2 NDSU, #21 ISU-Red, and #7 USD, the Jackrabbits still likely won't jump JSU, Central Arkansas, SHSU, or NCA&T without one of them dropping another game, which is just as asinine.

MTfan4life
October 23rd, 2017, 07:22 PM
Week 8 FCS Coaches Poll (Oct. 23, 2017)
2017 Record

Team (First-Place Votes)

James Madison (26)
7-0

North Dakota State
7-0

Jacksonville State
6-1

Central Arkansas
6-1

Sam Houston State
6-1

North Carolina A&T
8-0

South Dakota
6-1

T-8
Samford
5-2

T-8
South Dakota State
5-2

Wofford
6-1

Elon
6-1

Eastern Washington
5-3

Grambling State
6-1

Western Illinois
5-2

Villanova
4-3

New Hampshire
5-2

Richmond
4-3

McNeese
6-1

Youngstown State
3-4

Western Carolina
6-2

Illinois State
5-2

Weber State
5-2

Nicholls
5-2

Northern Arizona
NR
5-2

Northern Iowa
RV
4-3

Others receiving votes: Delaware (61), Montana (56), Stony Brook (39), Southern Utah (32), Monmouth (31), Kennesaw State (31), The Citadel (5), Dartmouth (4), Southeast Louisiana (4), Columbia (3), N.C. Central (2), Austin Peay (1), Furman (1).

- - - Updated - - -

This poll does not look good. Columbia is only undefeated Ivy and just beat Dartmouth but yet have less receiving votes. UNI is way too low. NCAT and Grambling are both too high. How Delaware and Montana are not ranked is beyond me. I also think Southern Utah should be ranked as well.

I see Nicholls is still riding on the coattails of beating McNeese regardless of how bad they lost to Sam Houston. Oh, and I see McNeese is still riding the coattails of beating Sam Houston State. IN 2015!! At least Montana isn't in this poll I'd rather see teams like Stony Brook, Delaware, and Southern Utah in this poll and take out Nicholls, McNeese, New Hampshire. Stony Brook beat New Hampshire 38-24. New Hampshire's best win is what, Maine? Yes, they beat Georgia Southern, but Idaho State beat Nevada, Howard beat UNLV, and Tennessee State beat Georgia State. Do they deserve to be in the poll? No. Neither does New Hampshire until they beat someone of worth. They have two good chances with JMU and Elon, but until then, they are way too high.

It's also pretty apparent that the Celebration Bowl will be a top 10 matchup in both the Coaches and Stats polls...I remember when Hampton went undefeated and got the 3 seed in the FCS playoffs way back when. We all know how that turned out.

I really wish ballots were public. Considering Sam Houston has only 7 less points than UCA, there must be several ballots with SHSU higher than UCA. Just as a quick refresher course for SHSU's rise in the polls. After narrowly beating the powerful Stephen F. Austin, SHSU moved up 11 points. Then, after just barely beating a loaded 1-6 Northwestern State squad, the bearkats gained 48 points!! Now, after taking down national powerhouse Lamar, they moved up 71 more points and started being ranked ahead of UCA in some ballots. That's 130 points and 6 rankings after beating SFA, NWSU, and Lamar, all by unimpressive results. Now, I usually defend Sam Houston, but boy is that terrible. If they get by SELA and then beat Incarnate Word in a couple weeks, will they be getting some #1 votes?!?

blukeys
October 23rd, 2017, 08:03 PM
In fact, I really believe the top 5 teams in the MVFC right now would win the Patriot League, Pioneer League, SWAC, MEAC, and Ivy League.
Isn't this akin to saying that you were the tallest munchkin on the wizard of oz set?

smallcollegefbfan
October 23rd, 2017, 08:23 PM
Isn't this akin to saying that you were the tallest munchkin on the wizard of oz set?

LOL. I am not sure the champ of any of those leagues would beat the top 3 in the SoCon, top 2 in SLC, top 2 in OVC, top 5 in CAA, or even the top 4 in the Big Sky. After seeing the USD vs Princeton game I was not very impressed with the Pioneer League champs. There was a time when I did think they were top 25 worthy back when they had Josh Johnson at QB.

caribbeanhen
October 23rd, 2017, 08:37 PM

not only is the team back but our fans are coming back strong as well

That was funny right there