Southland Playoff chances and team records:

Team, Conf., Overall, Games Left
UCA: 5-0, 6-1 McNeese, Lamar, UIW, ACU
SLU: 5-1, 5-3 Sam, McNeese, Nicholls
McNeese: 4-1 6-1, UCA, SLU, NWST, Lamar
SHSU: 4-1, 6-1 SLU, UIW, ACU, HBU
Nicholls: 4-1, 5-2 UIW, HBU, SFA, SLU

All other teams have 5 or more losses

4 teams with only ONE conference loss! The conference picture may clear up next week when McNeese goes to Conway and Sam goes to SLU. If UCA wins then they may have the easiest road to finish the year. If they lose then there will likely be 3 teams with just one loss. But there are a few other scenarios where 3 teams have one loss. But in the end I think SLC teams will devour each other.

SLU has a tough road but win out and they have a resume beating some two top 25 teams and 8-3
McNeese has UCA then SLU..tough patch. Worse case for them is 8-3 IMO.
Sam gets by SLU and they run the table IMO and go 10-1.
Nicholls could go 9-2 if they run the table.
UCA has to get by McNeese then they should win out...maybe go 10-1. Big maybe.

My picks:

HBU
Nicholls
SFA
UCA
SLU

bonarae
October 22nd, 2017, 02:04 AM
HBU
Nicholls
SFA
UCA
SLU

Serpentor
October 22nd, 2017, 09:22 AM
NWST at HBU
Nicholls at UIW
SFA at Lamar
McNeese at UCA
SHSU at SLU

Wildcat1997
October 22nd, 2017, 01:45 PM
All games Oct. 28, 2017

NWST at HBU
Nicholls at UIW
SFA at Lamar
McNeese at UCA
SHSU at SLUNWST
Nicholls
SFA
UCA
SHSU
Thankfully ACU has a bye this week because we sure as heck need it.

katss07
October 22nd, 2017, 02:10 PM
I just can't see SELA beating SHSU...

TheRevSFA
October 22nd, 2017, 05:05 PM

Game isn’t in Huntsville and SLU has been playing great football

Nickels
October 22nd, 2017, 05:29 PM
Have you watched any games this year other than Nicholls? Other than extreme athleticism at WR and PJ, there's nothing special about this Kat team.

Daytripper
October 22nd, 2017, 06:06 PM
NWST at HBU
Nicholls at UIW
SFA at Lamar
McNeese at UCA
SHSU at SLU

katss07
October 22nd, 2017, 07:16 PM
Have you watched any games this year other than Nicholls? Other than extreme athleticism at WR and PJ, there's nothing special about this Kat team.
SELA has done nothing to impress me this season. I think we win this game, big. Maybe they can keep it close for a quarter, but our O will take over the game. Keeler gets them ready for games like these. I would like it if he got them up for teams like JMU, but I think the boys will be ready for the Lions.

TheRevSFA
October 22nd, 2017, 09:30 PM
SELA has done nothing to impress me this season. I think we win this game, big. Maybe they can keep it close for a quarter, but our O will take over the game. Keeler gets them ready for games like these. I would like it if he got them up for teams like JMU, but I think the boys will be ready for the Lions.

Have you actually watched SLU?

katss07
October 22nd, 2017, 09:36 PM
Have you actually watched SLU?
Watched them play Bethune Cookman and UCA. Was not impressed by their performance in those games. Also watched a quarter of their game against HBU, but its HBU.

McNeese72
October 22nd, 2017, 11:03 PM
Watched them play Bethune Cookman and UCA. Was not impressed by their performance in those games. Also watched a quarter of their game against HBU, but its HBU.

Was that back when their QB was injured? I know they had some injury problems at QB early in the season.

Doc

McNeese75
October 22nd, 2017, 11:20 PM
NWST at HBU - Pick em
Nicholls at UIW - Colonels should cruise
SFA at Lamar - Lamar is just bad
McNeese at UCA -Homer pick. This is the week the rubber meets the road for the Cowboys. We will find out if the D is real but the odds go with the Bears on the stripes.
SHSU at SLU - This one could be a horse race. If the Kats do not show up big time they will not go home happy.

Sammy94
October 23rd, 2017, 07:58 AM
NWST at HBU
Nicholls at UIW
SFA at Lamar
McNeese at UCA
SHSU at SLU

BEAR
October 23rd, 2017, 10:11 AM
I'm looking at a couple of games this week: McNeese at UCA and SHSU at SLU. Nicholls also at the top of the conference plays a game against UIW that I think they should win.

Let's loook at McNeese coming to UCA:

McNeese's Schedule: 6-1,4-1

at Nicholls, Loss 35-37- Toss up game. Nicholls is good. Could have gone either way but Cowboys came up short.
Home D2 Florida Tech, win by 21- Did what you were supposed to do.
at Alcorn State, win by 7- Tough game. But a W is a W.
Home HBU, win by 15- HBU has a good defense but no offense. Good win.
at SFA win by 35- Wow. I don't know what you did to get this margin of win. Great win margin wise.
at ACU win by 6- Um. What happened?
at UIW win by 48- Bam the Cowboys woke up. Good win.

at UCA next.

UCA's Schedule: 6-1,5-0

at #18 FBS Kansas State, Loss by 35 - Went as expected to at the time a top 20 FBS team. Got the paycheck.
at Murray State, Win by 28- Not much compettion in that one for an OOC FCS opponent. Good win.
HOME SLU- win by 32- Lions were without their QB. Good win.
HOME SHSU- win by 11- Bearkats seemed to have lost chemistry. Injuries a factor. Good win against #3 FCS.
at HBU win by 20- Huskies have a good defense but no offense. Again Bears offense has trouble starting. A good win.
Home SFA win by 4- Bears offense having problems again. Sustains drives but no points. Escapes SFA. Ok win.
at NWST win by 28- Offense decides to show up last 3 minutes of first half and rest of game. Good win.

Who had the harder schedule?

UCA by far.
UCA- An FBS school, #3 FCS, SLU
McNeese- a D2 team, a Nicholls loss, and a SWAC team.

When comparing opponents it gets tricky:

McNeese beat SFA by 35 while UCA beat them by 4. (Interesting)
McNeese beat HBU by 15 while UCA beat them by 20. (draw)

Side note: What did McNeese do to SFA that UCA couldn't? Or was it just the traditional trap game mentality for UCA.

Stats: Keep in mind the harder schedule listed above. So far I don't think we can determine McNeese's true playing ability against the FCS unless you want to look at the Nicholls game....maybe.

UCA is the least sacked team with only 5 allowed but has the most sacks on the year with 25.
It's a draw on scoring offense with about 34 each.

Here's a number that stood out to me that emphasis the easier schedule for McNeese:

Defense allowed Yards per game:
1. McNeese: 250
2. UCA: 349

That is taking account of EVERY game the two teams have played this year.

Now let's look at it for a conference view only:

1. McNeese 189
2. UCA 330

See the difference!

McNeese controlled the clock vs. Nicholls for 40 minutes allowing Nicholls only 20 minutes and the Colonels got just over 300 yards and 2 more points than the Cowboys.

UCA has played what was supposed to be a team in SHSU that averaged 50 + points per game and nearly 600 yards per game (or something like that) and took that one at home. They also played a Kansas State team and doubled them on first downs and had over 400 yards offense. Sadly it was the first game of the year and it was against an FBS school. But it gave Bear fans hope of an offense showing up this year even with the lopsided score.

So the big question is this: UCA stepped up against the top teams in the conference and had a good game statistically against a top 20 FBS team at the time, but McNeese's schedule has been somewhat lacking and the tough team they played, even though they beat them statistically, won.

Pros: UCA is at home.
Cons: EVERY team will get up for UCA now they lead the conference.
Pros: UCA has played a tougher schedule.
Cons: Sometimes its not about Xs and Os but about Jimmys and Joes. We saw that with the SFA game.

Factors: Are there any injuries to either team that could influence this outcome?

Playoffs: If UCA loses I believe they should win out and go 9-2 and likely share the conference title and make the playoffs. If McNeese loses, I don't see a way with the schedule being so light that they make the playoffs because SHSU should make it and they also have Nicholls that is right there and Nicholls holds the head to head.

Big weekend in Conway for sure!

Thoughts? Any Bearkat fans want to do one for your game?

McNeese75
October 23rd, 2017, 10:33 AM
Nice analysis Bear. Bottom line here is McNeese has to win to advance to the post season. There is a revenge factor in the air after last year but I doubt that will make any difference in the outcome. I just hope we don't get beat 35-0 again xpeacex

BEAR
October 23rd, 2017, 10:43 AM
Nice analysis Bear. Bottom line here is McNeese has to win to advance to the post season. There is a revenge factor in the air after last year but I doubt that will make any difference in the outcome. I just hope we don't get beat 35-0 again xpeacex

Hey its a new year. I don't think its very often an SLC team goes undefeated in conference. We could pull out another win Saturday and go to UIW and lay an egg. It's happened before. I'm just ready to see some football.

Note: I will be serving chili at the tailgate. You are welcome to come get some. I'll see if I can get some deer meat for it instead of the generic ground beef.

LIONFAN07
October 23rd, 2017, 11:16 AM

Yea Bethune and UCA our QB was out with an injury sustained in the 4th quarter against UL Lafayette game. We had our chances against Bethune to win in 2nd half but just couldn't make the plays offensively. They pulled redshirt off a freshmen against UCA because his skill set fits more of what our OC wants to do. But he was still a freshmen getting his first action on the road against a team like UCA.

Past is the past and we have played good over these last few weeks. I know we have played the bottom of the Southland in this stretch so I'm not surprised we won these games but how we have won them has really impressed me. Some of these teams were playing really well on defense coming in and we had the output we had was impressive.

As far as this game I'm not sure what to expect. Sam has an offense with big time fire power. Our defense is gonna have to play the game of the year. Hopefully it is a good game. We have no room for error. Safe travels to Bearkat fans traveling to Hammond.

McCowboys
October 23rd, 2017, 11:29 AM
NWST at HBU
Nicholls at UIW
SFA at Lamar
McNeese at UCA
SHSU at SLU

I have noticed that many picks for this season (not just yours, Sammy) have favored the visiting team(s). That is interesting.
What has you favoring McNeese over UCA? Do you know something or is it just wishful thinking? :-)

BEAR
October 23rd, 2017, 01:00 PM
Woah. I knew the Bears were winning games in conference...but I'll have to double check the numbers in this gif...not sure on it.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DMwKTp-VwAAp9U-.jpg:large

Daytripper
October 23rd, 2017, 01:06 PM
Woah. I knew the Bears were winning games in conference...but I'll have to double check the numbers in this gif...not sure on it.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DMwKTp-VwAAp9U-.jpg:large

I think we have only beaten you once in-conference during that time, but I may be wrong on that.

Sammy94
October 23rd, 2017, 01:10 PM
I have noticed that many picks for this season (not just yours, Sammy) have favored the visiting team(s). That is interesting.
What has you favoring McNeese over UCA? Do you know something or is it just wishful thinking? :-)

Wishful thinking, but I really think its a good possibility that all away teams may pull off victories.

BEAR
October 23rd, 2017, 01:29 PM
I think we have only beaten you once in-conference during that time, but I may be wrong on that.

Twice. 2015 and 2016.
McNeese has the other win.

Katfan
October 23rd, 2017, 02:34 PM
Nwst
Nichol
sfa
uca
shsu

msupokes1
October 23rd, 2017, 03:12 PM
I'm looking at a couple of games this week: McNeese at UCA and SHSU at SLU. Nicholls also at the top of the conference plays a game against UIW that I think they should win.

Let's loook at McNeese coming to UCA:

McNeese's Schedule: 6-1,4-1

at Nicholls, Loss 35-37- Toss up game. Nicholls is good. Could have gone either way but Cowboys came up short.
Home D2 Florida Tech, win by 21- Did what you were supposed to do.
at Alcorn State, win by 7- Tough game. But a W is a W.
Home HBU, win by 15- HBU has a good defense but no offense. Good win.
at SFA win by 35- Wow. I don't know what you did to get this margin of win. Great win margin wise.
at ACU win by 6- Um. What happened?
at UIW win by 48- Bam the Cowboys woke up. Good win.

at UCA next.

UCA's Schedule: 6-1,5-0

at #18 FBS Kansas State, Loss by 35 - Went as expected to at the time a top 20 FBS team. Got the paycheck.
at Murray State, Win by 28- Not much compettion in that one for an OOC FCS opponent. Good win.
HOME SLU- win by 32- Lions were without their QB. Good win.
HOME SHSU- win by 11- Bearkats seemed to have lost chemistry. Injuries a factor. Good win against #3 FCS.
at HBU win by 20- Huskies have a good defense but no offense. Again Bears offense has trouble starting. A good win.
Home SFA win by 4- Bears offense having problems again. Sustains drives but no points. Escapes SFA. Ok win.
at NWST win by 28- Offense decides to show up last 3 minutes of first half and rest of game. Good win.

Who had the harder schedule?

UCA by far.
UCA- An FBS school, #3 FCS, SLU
McNeese- a D2 team, a Nicholls loss, and a SWAC team.

When comparing opponents it gets tricky:

McNeese beat SFA by 35 while UCA beat them by 4. (Interesting)
McNeese beat HBU by 15 while UCA beat them by 20. (draw)

Side note: What did McNeese do to SFA that UCA couldn't? Or was it just the traditional trap game mentality for UCA.

Stats: Keep in mind the harder schedule listed above. So far I don't think we can determine McNeese's true playing ability against the FCS unless you want to look at the Nicholls game....maybe.

UCA is the least sacked team with only 5 allowed but has the most sacks on the year with 25.
It's a draw on scoring offense with about 34 each.

Here's a number that stood out to me that emphasis the easier schedule for McNeese:

Defense allowed Yards per game:
1. McNeese: 250
2. UCA: 349

That is taking account of EVERY game the two teams have played this year.

Now let's look at it for a conference view only:

1. McNeese 189
2. UCA 330

See the difference!

McNeese controlled the clock vs. Nicholls for 40 minutes allowing Nicholls only 20 minutes and the Colonels got just over 300 yards and 2 more points than the Cowboys.

UCA has played what was supposed to be a team in SHSU that averaged 50 + points per game and nearly 600 yards per game (or something like that) and took that one at home. They also played a Kansas State team and doubled them on first downs and had over 400 yards offense. Sadly it was the first game of the year and it was against an FBS school. But it gave Bear fans hope of an offense showing up this year even with the lopsided score.

So the big question is this: UCA stepped up against the top teams in the conference and had a good game statistically against a top 20 FBS team at the time, but McNeese's schedule has been somewhat lacking and the tough team they played, even though they beat them statistically, won.

Pros: UCA is at home.
Cons: EVERY team will get up for UCA now they lead the conference.
Pros: UCA has played a tougher schedule.
Cons: Sometimes its not about Xs and Os but about Jimmys and Joes. We saw that with the SFA game.

Factors: Are there any injuries to either team that could influence this outcome?

Playoffs: If UCA loses I believe they should win out and go 9-2 and likely share the conference title and make the playoffs. If McNeese loses, I don't see a way with the schedule being so light that they make the playoffs because SHSU should make it and they also have Nicholls that is right there and Nicholls holds the head to head.

Big weekend in Conway for sure!

Thoughts? Any Bearkat fans want to do one for your game?

Great analysis. McNeese is a completely different team than the one who played Nicholls the first game of the year. I don't mean that in a positive or negative way. In game 1 we were physically out of shape and it was noticeable that our conditioning wasn't there. We moved the ball well but were not effective in the red zone. We played well on defense but gave up some huge chunk plays that kept them in the game when we had a chance to put it away.

Defensively we have appeared to get better as the season has gone on but the level of competition has not been great. Our young DB's have gotten better each week. Offensively it has not been real good all season. I believe our offense has given up more points over the last 4 games than our defense has.

This game will tell if we are a contender or a pretender. To be honest, I am not sure what we are at this point. Hopefully it will be a good game.

BEAR
October 23rd, 2017, 03:22 PM
Great analysis. McNeese is a completely different team than the one who played Nicholls the first game of the year. I don't mean that in a positive or negative way. In game 1 we were physically out of shape and it was noticeable that our conditioning wasn't there. We moved the ball well but were not effective in the red zone. We played well on defense but gave up some huge chunk plays that kept them in the game when we had a chance to put it away.

Defensively we have appeared to get better as the season has gone on but the level of competition has not been great. Our young DB's have gotten better each week. Offensively it has not been real good all season. I believe our offense has given up more points over the last 4 games than our defense has.

This game will tell if we are a contender or a pretender. To be honest, I am not sure what we are at this point. Hopefully it will be a good game.

That's what I'm trying to figure out about McNeese. Every team starts out slow. UCA lost 26 seniors last year I believe. Team chemistry wasn't there for the Kansas State game. It wasn't there when McNeese played Nicholls it appears. But since then the Cowboys have played easier teams BUT BUT is their defense better even with the easier teams?

I can say this for sure. The cowboys will be facing a pretty good defense this saturday. Our offense, just like yours, is sloooooow to start. I just hope we get going early so we don't have to play catchup like we did with SFA. It will be two slow offenses and two decent defenses it looks like...xlolx

McNeese75
October 23rd, 2017, 04:17 PM
That's what I'm trying to figure out about McNeese. Every team starts out slow. UCA lost 26 seniors last year I believe. Team chemistry wasn't there for the Kansas State game. It wasn't there when McNeese played Nicholls it appears. But since then the Cowboys have played easier teams BUT BUT is their defense better even with the easier teams?

I can say this for sure. The cowboys will be facing a pretty good defense this saturday. Our offense, just like yours, is sloooooow to start. I just hope we get going early so we don't have to play catchup like we did with SFA. It will be two slow offenses and two decent defenses it looks like...xlolx

You don't think the Cowboy coaching staff spent the open week developing the game plan for UIW do you :D

McCowboys
October 23rd, 2017, 04:52 PM

My opinion: Nicholls was a long time ago and so much was going on (Thursday night game, hurricane, injuries, etc.)

Since then, except for SFA and UIW, it seems as though McNeese has played to the level of the competition. The injuries have helped our defense build depth, and thank God for our defense! But I don't think to this point the Cowboys have faced a balanced offense like UCA with both a potent rushing and passing expertise.

I'm sure the Cowboys have not forgotten the 0-35 score from last year. Maybe not revenge, but certainly a reminder that they have to play their best against a quality team.

It's not ever easy playing on the road, but the Cowboys have won twice on the birthday cake field. It may not look so good (in my opinion), but it is sure a better field than the worn out turf in Cowboy Stadium.

Like most of the games between the Bears and Cowboys (excluding last year), the game should come down to turnovers and lucky breaks. There have certainly been some wild plays in this series.

Hopefully Tabary will be up to the pressure and the Cowboys can keep it close going into the fourth quarter.

SFA 93
October 23rd, 2017, 06:57 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26348&stc=1

McCowboys
October 24th, 2017, 07:50 AM
Wishful thinking, but I really think its a good possibility that all away teams may pull off victories.

That matchup in Hammond could sure be a barnburner! Can either team stop the other? Whose defense will show up? Kats air attach versus Lions rushing attack.

Two potentially exciting matches -- McNeese/UCA and Sam Houston/SLU -- to look forward to. So far, it looks like the favored team in both contests is favored by about a touchdown. What's the weather forecast for Hammond this weekend? Conway, Arkansas will be a little bit chilly, but little chance of rain from the forecasts I have seen.

LIONFAN07
October 24th, 2017, 07:59 AM
That matchup in Hammond could sure be a barnburner! Can either team stop the other? Whose defense will show up? Kats air attach versus Lions rushing attack.

Two potentially exciting matches -- McNeese/UCA and Sam Houston/SLU -- to look forward to. So far, it looks like the favored team in both contests is favored by about a touchdown. What's the weather forecast for Hammond this weekend? Conway, Arkansas will be a little bit chilly, but little chance of rain from the forecasts I have seen.

Hammond forecast is similar 53 at kickoff and falling into the 40s. Rain in the area but rain chances go way down at kickoff.

Last time we played Sam in 2014 playoffs it was a defensive battle. This game will be complete opposite.

BEAR
October 24th, 2017, 08:11 AM
6 p.m. Kickoff temp: 52 degrees
6:18 sunset
6:19 playing temp 45 degrees
8:00 upper 30s

It gets cold in Conway QUICK.

McNeese75
October 24th, 2017, 09:29 AM
6 p.m. Kickoff temp: 52 degrees
6:18 sunset
6:19 playing temp 45 degrees
8:00 upper 30s

It gets cold in Conway QUICK.

Those temps only affect the fans. Those are perfect temps for players (without rain of course)

BEAR
October 24th, 2017, 10:09 AM
Those temps only affect the fans. Those are perfect temps for players (without rain of course)

Well that's good news. As I've said, its the last weekend of muzzleloading deer hunting season. The stands will be empty anyway. I guess weather will not be a factor...xlolx

BEAR
October 24th, 2017, 10:22 AM
SLC teams with playoff hopes % chances to win remaining games according to Massey:

SHSU: SLU 65%, IUW 98%, ACU 90%, HBU 99%.
UCA: McNeese 73%, Lamar 99%, IUW 99%, ACU 96%
SLU: SHSU 35%, McNeese 41%, Nicholls 53%
Nicholls: IUW 93%, HBU 98%, SFA 70%, SLU 47%
McNeese: UCA 27%, SLU 59%, NWST 89%, Lamar 96%

Oct. 28th games:

UCA is favored over McNeese by 7
Sam is favored over SLU by 4.
Nicholls is favored over UIW by 21.
NWST favored over HBU by 11.
SFA is favored over Lamar by 13.

BNATION
October 24th, 2017, 11:23 AM
We will see what SHSU is made of Saturday. This team has been jekyll and hyde, this year. Will have to win out and perform in the playoffs. Dont forget SHSU really dominated the second half against UCA and if they meet in the playoffs i think you will see a much different outcome. They are very talented though no doubt and hoping they go far in the playoffs for the conference.

BEAR
October 24th, 2017, 12:26 PM
We will see what SHSU is made of Saturday. This team has been jekyll and hyde, this year. Will have to win out and perform in the playoffs. Dont forget SHSU really dominated the second half against UCA and if they meet in the playoffs i think you will see a much different outcome. They are very talented though no doubt and hoping they go far in the playoffs for the conference.

Dominated is something I have to question. SHSU scored 13 while UCA scored 10.
*Sam scored more in the first half. 17
*With 5:06 left in the third quarter Sam's offense scored a TD.. but 10 minutes of the 15 had already passed in that quarter.
*With 12:23 left in the 4th quarter the Sam offense scored another TD but did nothing after that..nearly a whole quarter.
So basically Sam's offense was unable to score for 22 minutes of the second half due to self inflicted wounds or UCA constantly running the ball.
*UCA was on Sams side of the field all but once in the second half. Sadly, just like Briscoe, Hildebrand threw a bunch of incomplete passes and we had to punt.
*SHSU special teams in the second half allowed long runs by kickoff/punt returners and missed an extra point..and um...failed to punt with a bounce off the punters helmet.

What made it feel like momentum swinging the Kats way was the fact that Hildebrand had 10 of his 13 incompletions in the second half really shortening drives (WISH i COULD SEE HOW THOSE WERE INCOMPLETE BUT SAM HAD ONLY 4 PASS BREAKUPS ALL GAME) and the defense was worn out facing 89 plays during the game. I just don't see how the Kats dominated. The Kats are talented and if they can get Briscoe healthy they will need to get that highly touted preseason defense to show up. But if they face another team like JMU, the results will be the same.

Is there a way the Kats dominated the second half that I am missing as a Bear fan?

BNATION
October 25th, 2017, 08:12 AM
Ill tell you my reasoning. second half stats lean towards the Kats in a big way. We had 32-20 1st downs. Until UCA's late 4th quarter score they were not able to do much. You could see your couchs posture as SHSU crept back in, he looked like he was about to throw up. Two gimmie scores were the difference. Hope to see these two teams meet again in the playoffs. Again i think you will see a much different result. Kudos to bears they played inspired turnover free football.

SHSU second Half possessions.
Interception
Touchdown
Touchdown
Fumbled Punt=Only UCA Touchdown from SHSU 17
Punt
Downs

UCA Possessions
Field Goal
Punt
Punt
Punt
Touchdown/Fumbled punt
Punt

Dominated is something I have to question. SHSU scored 13 while UCA scored 10.
*Sam scored more in the first half. 17
*With 5:06 left in the third quarter Sam's offense scored a TD.. but 10 minutes of the 15 had already passed in that quarter.
*With 12:23 left in the 4th quarter the Sam offense scored another TD but did nothing after that..nearly a whole quarter.
So basically Sam's offense was unable to score for 22 minutes of the second half due to self inflicted wounds or UCA constantly running the ball.
*UCA was on Sams side of the field all but once in the second half. Sadly, just like Briscoe, Hildebrand threw a bunch of incomplete passes and we had to punt.
*SHSU special teams in the second half allowed long runs by kickoff/punt returners and missed an extra point..and um...failed to punt with a bounce off the punters helmet.

What made it feel like momentum swinging the Kats way was the fact that Hildebrand had 10 of his 13 incompletions in the second half really shortening drives (WISH i COULD SEE HOW THOSE WERE INCOMPLETE BUT SAM HAD ONLY 4 PASS BREAKUPS ALL GAME) and the defense was worn out facing 89 plays during the game. I just don't see how the Kats dominated. The Kats are talented and if they can get Briscoe healthy they will need to get that highly touted preseason defense to show up. But if they face another team like JMU, the results will be the same.

Is there a way the Kats dominated the second half that I am missing as a Bear fan?

BEAR
October 25th, 2017, 08:48 AM
xlolx Yeah, coach always looks like that in a close game. What hurt UCA was NOT getting that TD just before half and settling for a FG and giving the ball back to SHSU who drove in a 2 minute offense for a TD. Can't swap FGs for TDs.

What I was confused about was the Bearkats Oline being totally worn out and UCAs Dline suddenly having a second wind as the fourth quarter progressed. After the Kats last touchdown run with 12:23 left in the fourth the fans didn't want the kats to have the ball back because our D had their hands on their hips after 70+ plays.
But suddenly for 3 series the UCA defense stepped up and the kats oline looked like the ones worn as they only got 3 yards in 16 plays, Briscoe had 8 incomplete passes, and UCA had 3 sacks.

Throughout the game UCA had 11 pass breakups, 3 sacks, 6 tackles for loss, and two INTs (they probably dropped 4 more INTs as well) Briscoe didn't look right throughout the game.

SHSU's last 3 possesions of the game:

SHSU
4th
SHSU17
10:28
PUNT
SHSU17
09:24
DOWNS
6-0
1:04

SHSU
4th
SHSU34
08:26
KO
SHSU43
06:08
PUNT
6-9
2:18

SHSU
4th
SHSU46
03:44
PUNT
SHSU40
03:09
DOWNS
4-(-6)
0:35

The playoffs are gonna be fun!

BNATION
October 25th, 2017, 09:08 AM
Agreed, don't know what happened to the O line in the 4th, they were looking much better in the second half until then. I was very impressed with UCA's pass rush, y'all have some real athletes on your D line. Briscoe has not really looked himself this year in general. He has missed a lot of gimme touchdowns that last year were strikes and seems to be in his head a lot. His stats look fine but that's because we throw so much and against some weaker teams he has padded them immensely. This SHSU is good not great. They seem to be a year off on defense.

xlolx Yeah, coach always looks like that in a close game. What hurt UCA was NOT getting that TD just before half and settling for a FG and giving the ball back to SHSU who drove in a 2 minute offense for a TD. Can't swap FGs for TDs.

What I was confused about was the Bearkats Oline being totally worn out and UCAs Dline suddenly having a second wind as the fourth quarter progressed. After the Kats last touchdown run with 12:23 left in the fourth the fans didn't want the kats to have the ball back because our D had their hands on their hips after 70+ plays.
But suddenly for 3 series the UCA defense stepped up and the kats oline looked like the ones worn as they only got 3 yards in 16 plays, Briscoe had 8 incomplete passes, and UCA had 3 sacks.

Throughout the game UCA had 11 pass breakups, 3 sacks, 6 tackles for loss, and two INTs (they probably dropped 4 more INTs as well) Briscoe didn't look right throughout the game.

SHSU's last 3 possesions of the game:

SHSU
4th
SHSU17
10:28
PUNT
SHSU17
09:24
DOWNS
6-0
1:04

SHSU
4th
SHSU34
08:26
KO
SHSU43
06:08
PUNT
6-9
2:18

SHSU
4th
SHSU46
03:44
PUNT
SHSU40
03:09
DOWNS
4-(-6)
0:35

The playoffs are gonna be fun!

one_armed_man
October 26th, 2017, 01:53 AM
NWST
Nicholls
SFA
UCA
SHSU

BEAR
October 26th, 2017, 02:11 PM
Nicholls at UIW, Saturday, 2 p.m., CT, UIW-TV

Online:
https://portal.stretchinternet.com/uiw/

Talent:
Chris Reyes, play-by-play
Jamie Valdez, analyst

Northwestern State at Houston Baptist, Saturday, 6 p.m. CT, Southland Digital Network

Online:
http://Southland.org/live (http://www.southland.org/live)
Southland Conference apps for iPhone, Android, Apple TV, Roku and Amazon Fire TV

Talent:
Lonnie King, play-by-play
Tyler Boyd, analyst
-
Stephen F. Austin at Lamar, Saturday, 6 p.m. CT, ESPN3

Online:
http://WatchESPN.com (http://www.espn.com/watch/search/lamar)
WatchESPN and ESPN apps

Talent:
Dan Greshman, play-by-play
Lemont Williams, analyst

McNeese at Central Arkansas, Saturday, 6 p.m. CT, ESPN3

Online:
http://WatchESPN.com (http://www.espn.com/watch/search/mcneese)
WatchESPN and ESPN apps

Talent:
Jeff Brightwell, play-by-play
Stan Humphries, analyst
Tatum Everett, reporter

Sam Houston State at Southeastern Louisiana, Saturday, 7 p.m. CT, ESPN3

Online:
http://WatchESPN.com (http://www.espn.com/watch/search/southeastern)
WatchESPN and ESPN apps

Talent:
Lyn Rollins, play-by-play
Rene Nadeau, analyst
Abby Morris, reporter

BEAR
October 28th, 2017, 12:42 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26370&stc=1

Hood
October 28th, 2017, 07:30 PM
Fairly certain the Nicholls @ UIW game was broadcast by the UIW AV club. The two gentlemen providing commentary did not do a bad job, but they definitely had very young voices.

I really cannot get a good vibe on the Nicholls defense. UIW should not have lit them up for all those points.

SFA 93
October 28th, 2017, 10:00 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DNRXxlCVQAAj36A.jpg

Serpentor
October 28th, 2017, 10:11 PM
Tight one going on in Hammond. Bearkats up 33-23 with 8:21 left.

Serpentor
October 28th, 2017, 10:35 PM
33-23 Bearkats final. SELA's offensive was tough to shut down.