PDA

View Full Version : Wofford still in good shape/Anyone wanna bet?

woffordgrad94
October 21st, 2017, 04:08 PM
The Samford game was a tough one to take. A lot of unfortunate things happened that went against us. But we gave up over 400 yards passing and we turned the ball over multiple times. You can’t expect to win doing those things no matter how much you want to cry about other crap that happened. So congrats to Samford. They played the better game and got the win today. But I think Wofford is still in great shape. We have only one loss and three games left against the three bottom teams in the SoCon and a money game with South Carolina that’s pretty much irrelevant. I think we could get a chance to see Samford again in the playoffs and avenge our loss, much like we did against The Citadel last year.

In fact, I’m SO confident Wofford will bounce back strong and win the next three (ETSU, Chattanooga, VMI) that I am willing to bet anyone dinner and three big draft beers at their favorite bar/restaurant in SC, NC, or GA that this will happen (sorry, but I’m not going farther away than that). Wofford loses ONE oR MORE of these games, I buy. Wofford wins all three, YOU buy for ME. This offer is open until noon next Saturday...just PM me. And don’t worry...woffordgrad94’s word is GOLD. I lose and I honor it like a man.

SU DOG
October 21st, 2017, 04:12 PM
Wofford is in great shape to probably run the table. Yep, Samford did get some breaks, but realistically the Terriers were due to lose one of those down to the wire nail-biters.

woffordgrad94
October 21st, 2017, 04:14 PM
Yep, when you play every game close, your luck is bound to turn foul on you eventually...that’s just the way it is.

katss07
October 21st, 2017, 04:20 PM
Wofford will win the rest of their FCS games, earn a first round bye. I would be surprised if this team doesn't make it to the quarterfinals. They can hang with the best of em.

PaladinFan
October 21st, 2017, 04:38 PM
Wofford will win the rest of their FCS games, earn a first round bye. I would be surprised if this team doesn't make it to the quarterfinals. They can hang with the best of em.

Oddly enough, Wofford no longer completely controls their destiny.

Samford holds the tiebreaker over them and could win the autobid. The Terriers need to be pulling for Western Carolina, as the Catamounts can help them on tie breakers.

Terrier19
October 21st, 2017, 04:41 PM
Wofford still in great shape....handle business the rest of the way like they have all season and will be sitting in a great spot. The way this game played out will be fuel for the remainder of the season. Made enough mistakes in this one to lose 10 games and still had our shot to win it. I wont even discuss the officiating. It was typical SoCon officiating.

woffordgrad94
October 21st, 2017, 04:41 PM
We need to be pulling for anyone playing Samford first and foremost.

Reign of Terrier
October 21st, 2017, 05:44 PM
As I said in another thread, in spite of all the mistakes we made we were still in a position to win it. It only makes sense to say wofford isn’t a top 10 team if you think the socon is a sub par conference when we have 4 top 25 teams and probably another 1 or 2 in the top 40. I wish we won this game because perfect seasons in the Socon are special and rare if you aren’t app state or Georgia southern.

Wofford will still make the playoffs. Even if we get upset in the next couple of weeks I don’t see it happening more than once and at 8-3 we would have a good enough resume to get in. I don’t know if we will get a bye or what (I would like one and a seed just because it increases probabilities in our favor), but it’s always tough sledding if you’re wofford. We’ve made the playoffs 7 times and only had a seed once.

So yeah this loss sucks but it’s a quality loss (pukes)

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 21st, 2017, 09:17 PM
If you're Western, Furman and Samford, you're Buc fans this week. ETSU represents the best chance for Wofford to lose again.

PaladinFan
October 21st, 2017, 09:19 PM
If you're Western, Furman and Samford, you're Buc fans this week. ETSU represents the best chance for Wofford to lose again.

I think Wofford is the clear favorite in these remaining SoCon games. They’ve also showed a penchant for playing really close contests against their competition. I wouldn’t be shocked to see ETSU and UTC create issues for them.

ElCid
October 21st, 2017, 09:20 PM

I would put a tad bit more money on Chattanooga. Not much more, but some.

woffordgrad94
October 21st, 2017, 09:26 PM
Keep in mind that Wofford fumbled a staggering 7 times today. I don’t think that will happen again this season. And yet we still lost by only 3 to a very good Samford team.

wcugrad95
October 21st, 2017, 11:51 PM
For the record, everybody somehow thinks Samford now controls their own destiny. I am in no way saying this will happen, but if Wofford, Samford, and WCU win-out in league games, the tiebreaker will come down to points allowed (I believe in conference games - but nobody seems to know for absolute sure). The only way to have that 3-way tie is between those teams. HUGE game this coming weekend with WCU and Furman - if the Paladins win then Samford owns the tiebreaker over Wofford and there will be yet another huge showdown between the Paladins and the Bulldogs (seems like a "game of the year" almost every week in the conference). All the teams at the top other than the Terriers have tough games left. Right now between the 1-loss league teams, in SoCon games Wofford is giving up an average of 23.6 ppg, Furman is giving up 21.4, Samford is giving up 20 ppg (have played 1 less conf game), and WCU is giving up 18.6 ppg (but have already played the bottom 3 teams). Lots of drama left, but in my opinion unless something crazy happens I think all 4 of these teams should be playoff-bound if they can find their way to 7+ wins.

woffordgrad94
October 22nd, 2017, 12:54 AM
Just simply “making the playoffs” is not my personal goal for Wofford. I want home games- at least one! And I want a first round bye! Merely making the playoffs isn’t even that much to be proud of anymore, especially with 24 teams going now- just my personal opinion.

wcugrad95
October 22nd, 2017, 01:07 AM
Certainly I don't think anybody wants to just make the playoffs - we all want to get in and see what happens. That is the beauty of a true playoff versus the crappy bowls. But given the SoCon had some lean years there until last season, seeing 3 or 4 teams get in again would be good for the league. And I think all 4 teams we have tied at the top right now are top-25 type teams who deserve a chance to get in and see how good we really are.

woffordgrad94
October 22nd, 2017, 01:12 AM
Certainly I don't think anybody wants to just make the playoffs - we all want to get in and see what happens. That is the beauty of a true playoff versus the crappy bowls. But given the SoCon had some lean years there until last season, seeing 3 or 4 teams get in again would be good for the league. And I think all 4 teams we have tied at the top right now are top-25 type teams who deserve a chance to get in and see how good we really are.
I agree

JHWCUGrad07
October 22nd, 2017, 07:14 AM
For the record, everybody somehow thinks Samford now controls their own destiny. I am in no way saying this will happen, but if Wofford, Samford, and WCU win-out in league games, the tiebreaker will come down to points allowed (I believe in conference games - but nobody seems to know for absolute sure). The only way to have that 3-way tie is between those teams. HUGE game this coming weekend with WCU and Furman - if the Paladins win then Samford owns the tiebreaker over Wofford and there will be yet another huge showdown between the Paladins and the Bulldogs (seems like a "game of the year" almost every week in the conference). All the teams at the top other than the Terriers have tough games left. Right now between the 1-loss league teams, in SoCon games Wofford is giving up an average of 23.6 ppg, Furman is giving up 21.4, Samford is giving up 20 ppg (have played 1 less conf game), and WCU is giving up 18.6 ppg (but have already played the bottom 3 teams). Lots of drama left, but in my opinion unless something crazy happens I think all 4 of these teams should be playoff-bound if they can find their way to 7+ wins.

This is how they will determine the winner in the event.

http://www.soconsports.com/fls/4000/socon/Championships/Tie-Breaking/Tie-breaking_Procedures_Football.pdf

youcanbankit
October 22nd, 2017, 08:17 AM
Wofford is the best team in the Socon when you factor in the coaching, players, facility and how they are carrying themselves this year. I dont see them losing again in the conference. First rate team and University. They will go into the playoffs no doubt. Samford was very lucky to win yesterday.

wcugrad95
October 22nd, 2017, 08:44 AM
Wofford has the wins, but outside of the Presby game every contest has been a 1-possession ballgame that easily could have gone the other way - including this game against Samford. I know they play that style, and have found a way to pull out those games (until Saturday). i do expect Wofford to win their remaining SoCon games and possibly have a seed and first round bye at 9-2. But I honestly don't think there is a huge difference in the 4 teams currently tied at the top. If any of them beat the other I don't think anybody would consider that some kind of major upset.

KPSUL
October 22nd, 2017, 09:16 AM
Wofford may be the best the SoCon has to offer, but they've been a borderline Top 8 team all season The Samford game does little to change that. I moved them from 5th to 7th, but I'm not sure they are really that good. With a favorable bracket and a first round bye, they might make it into the Quarterfinals, but not beyond that.

clenz
October 22nd, 2017, 09:18 AM
Your next 3 games are horrifically bad teams.

No **** you’ll win those.

That’s like a MVFC school losing to NDSU and going “I bet anyone we win our next three vs Missouri State, Indiana State and Southern Illinois”

woffordgrad94
October 22nd, 2017, 09:31 AM
Your next 3 games are horrifically bad teams.

No **** you’ll win those.

That’s like a MVFC school losing to NDSU and going “I bet anyone we win our next three vs Missouri State, Indiana State and Southern Illinois”
That’s exactly why I offered the bet...

woffordgrad94
October 22nd, 2017, 09:33 AM
Wofford may be the best the SoCon has to offer, but they've been a borderline Top 8 team all season The Samford game does little to change that. I moved them from 5th to 7th, but I'm not sure they are really that good. With a favorable bracket and a first round bye, they might make it into the Quarterfinals, but not beyond that.
That would be top 8. Exactly where we finished last year. I could live with that, though I’d obviously like more.

wcugrad95
October 22nd, 2017, 09:37 AM

Interesting take on where you are putting the Terriers. Are you keeping them ahead of Samford? And are you putting Samford ahead of WCU? Given the games we have seen, I would have all 3 lumped together. If you think Wofford is #7, I'd argue the other two would have to be very close by.

KPSUL
October 22nd, 2017, 09:41 AM
Interesting take on where you are putting the Terriers. Are you keeping them ahead of Samford? And are you putting Samford ahead of WCU? Given the games we have seen, I would have all 3 lumped together. If you think Wofford is #7, I'd argue the other two would have to be very close by.

Sam 9, Westies 20.

tenNesseeCat
October 22nd, 2017, 09:52 AM

I don't know that they are THE best the SoCon has to offer. It looks to me like there are 3 other SoCon teams that are right there. All present their own unique styles that can be problematic for opponents, as well as weaknesses that can be exploited. I think JMU and NDSU, then 3 through about 10 are all pretty close. Maybe even some of the 11-20 are close. I may be wrong, maybe it's my SoCon glasses, but there seems to be a lot of parity this year.

woffordgrad94
October 22nd, 2017, 09:55 AM
I think one or more SoCon teams could make playoff runs. I agree that Samford, WCU and Furman are very comparable teams to the Terriers. And maybe even The Citadel. Getting 4 in is a legit possibility for the conference, and all four are good enough to advance IMO.

SU DOG
October 22nd, 2017, 10:05 AM
Hey, I'd bet that the SoCon All-Star Team would whip any other conference's. LOL!

woffordgrad94
October 22nd, 2017, 10:09 AM
Hey, I'd bet that the SoCon All-Star Team would whip any other conference's. LOL!
Not gonna make that claim!

wcugrad95
October 22nd, 2017, 10:29 AM
Sam 9, Westies 20.

Wow! Just pointing out that WCU beat Samford. I think these 3 teams (and Furman is going to prove to be right there) should be very close to one another given fairly similar records and too close to call results between them. It might change drastically, and obviously Wofford is best-positioned to finish with a 7-1 SoCon record. But I am interested in the 11-spot difference between Samford and WCU compared to a 2-spot difference between the other 2?

Milktruck74
October 22nd, 2017, 10:54 AM
Chattanooga's Defense looked pretty good against Citadel yesterday. They shut down the dive, and strung out the pitch pretty well. They played very disciplined assignment football. I foresee The Mocs D giving Wofford some Heartburn....However, I don't think our Offense can score, so the yappy dogs don't have to be too productive to win. If we can find some offense in the next two weeks.......things might be different.

wcugrad95
October 22nd, 2017, 11:00 AM
In games where things haven't gone sideways for the Mocs, the D is more than capable of keeping them in a game. They have a hard time when turnovers or other things cause the game to get out of hand and when they have to keep going back out there it can become demoralizing. Wofford doesn't tend to blow teams out, so if the Freshman QB can clean-up his turnovers, I would agree with others that UTC is Wofford's biggest remaining test. I believe Wofford will win all 3, but that ***could*** be a JSU/UTC kinda game that might be kind of ugly, but could still be close to the end.

walliver
October 22nd, 2017, 11:35 AM

Actually, a SoCon all-star team would be a mess. The range of offensive philosophies are so different that any of the top 4 would beat the hodge-podge all-star team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

KPSUL
October 22nd, 2017, 11:41 AM
Wow! Just pointing out that WCU beat Samford. I think these 3 teams (and Furman is going to prove to be right there) should be very close to one another given fairly similar records and too close to call results between them. It might change drastically, and obviously Wofford is best-positioned to finish with a 7-1 SoCon record. But I am interested in the 11-spot difference between Samford and WCU compared to a 2-spot difference between the other 2?

I may have been too generous to Samford. All the teams I had from 9 thru 22 were 5-2 or 6-1 teams from the FCS top 4 conferences, except for 4-3 UNI and undefeated NC A&T. You could have made a case for WCU to be higher, I get it, but it is totally subjective.

youcanbankit
October 22nd, 2017, 11:44 AM
Actually, a SoCon all-star team would be a mess. The range of offensive philosophies are so different that any of the top 4 would beat the hodge-podge all-star team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Good point Walliver.....Totally Agree

wcugrad95
October 22nd, 2017, 11:47 AM
I may have been too generous to Samford. All the teams I had from 9 thru 22 were 5-2 or 6-1 teams from the FCS top 4 conferences, except for 4-3 UNI and undefeated NC A&T. You could have made a case for WCU to be higher, I get it, but it is totally subjective.

Appreciate the candid response. It is all at least a little subjective, but at least at FCS we do get to find out on the field. Outside of a couple of automatic qualifiers who probably don't deserve it, hard to argue that you aren't finding a real champion through the FCS playoffs - the teams who realistically can win it all will be given the chance. And regarding the SoCon teams, I wouldn't be surprised at all if any of these teams meet again that the games won't be very close and the outcomes could all be opposite of what we saw in the regular season.