PDA

View Full Version : Walter Payton Award Watch List gains six nominees | Stats

WestCoastAggie
October 20th, 2017, 08:55 AM
(STATS) - Six players were named midseason additions to the STATS FCS Walter Payton Award Watch List on Wednesday.

The Payton Award, first awarded in 1987 and presented to the FCS offensive player of the year, has watched past winners such as Steve McNair, Tony Romo, Brian Westbrook, John Friesz, Brian Finneran, Jimmy Garoppolo and Cooper Kupp move on to the NFL. A national panel of over 150 sports information and media relations directors, broadcasters, writers and other dignitaries will vote on 25 finalists following the regular season.

The new nominees to the watch list:

Keelan Doss, UC Davis, WR, R-Jr., 6-3, 206, Alameda, California
Ranks first in the FCS in receptions per game (9.3) and receiving yards per game (145) and second in receiving yards (870). Also has caught five touchdowns.

Hayden Hildebrand, Central Arkansas, R-Sr., 6-3, 192, Bossier City, Louisiana
A four-touchdown performance against Sam Houston State has highlighted a season in which Hildebrand has completed over 68 percent of his passes with 14 touchdowns.

Josh Mack, Maine, RB, So., 6-1, 198, Rochester, New York
Bolstered by 255- and 248-yard rushing performances, Mack leads the FCS in rushing yards per game (154.4). He's scored five touchdowns.

Lamar Raynard, North Carolina A&T, QB, R-Jr., 6-4, 200, High Point, North Carolina
Raynard has led the Aggies to a 7-0 start as the FCS leader in passing efficiency (185.5) with 20 touchdown passes against only three interceptions.

Chris Streveler, South Dakota, QB, R-Sr., 6-3, 215, Crystal Lake, Illinois
The Missouri Valley's 2016 newcomer of the year has risen to an even higher level with 25 total touchdowns (17 passing, eight rushing) in the No. 4 Coyotes' 6-0 start.

Roc Thomas, Jacksonville State, RB, R-Sr., 5-11, 193, Oxford, Alabama
The No. 1 offensive option for the Ohio Valley Conference power, Thomas has rushed for 553 yards and six touchdowns and is second on the team in receptions (11).

Preseason nominees for the watch list were quarterbacks Jeremiah Briscoe of Sam Houston State, Taryn Christion of South Dakota State, Case Cookus of Northern Arizona, Gage Gubrud of Eastern Washington, Devlin Hodges of Samford, DeVante Kincade of Grambling State, Kyle Lauletta of Richmond, Anthony Lawrence of San Diego, Tyrell Maxwell of Gardner-Webb and Bryan Schor of James Madison; running backs Chase Edmonds of Fordham, Elijah Ibitokun-Hanks of Albany, John Lovett of Princeton and Detrez Newsome of Western Carolina; fullback Joe Protheroe of Cal Poly; wide receivers Emmanuel Butler of Northern Arizona, Kamron Lewis of Saint Francis, Troy Pelletier of Lehigh, Justin Watson of Penn and Jake Wieneke of South Dakota State; tight end Dallas Goedert of South Dakota State; and offensive tackle Brandon Parker of North Carolina A&T.

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20171018134818127693004

BEAR
October 20th, 2017, 09:05 AM
Hayden Hildebrand had 2 INTs in 5 games completing over 70% of his passes then had a bad game against SFA. But still leads the SLC in stats for the most part. He's a field general that will get a shot at the next level in the CFL but if not he will make one heck of a coach. He understands football and helps create positive team chemistry. His numbers will get even better as the year goes on. Good choice for nominee for this award even if he doesn't win it. The kid can play.

Professor Chaos
October 20th, 2017, 09:09 AM
Strange that they add Roc Thomas (553 yards, 5.8 ypc, 6 TDs) but not Lance Dunn (604 yards, 9.0 ypc, 12 TDs).

Also no Jaelon Acklin at all yet has to be one of the biggest oversights.

TheKingpin28
October 20th, 2017, 09:12 AM
Strange that they add Roc Thomas (553 yards, 5.8 ypc, 6 TDs) but not Lance Dunn (604 yards, 9.0 ypc, 12 TDs).

Yeah I was kind of shocked about Dunn, but maybe they looked at the SOS up to this point and were having none of it. Acklin is a huge swing and a miss for the Payton watch list.

At this point though, IMO, it is Chris Streveler's to lose and it is not even close with how he has almost single handedly (70% of their entire offense) carried USeD to their current position and if he continues this play, will run away with the award.

smallcollegefbfan
October 20th, 2017, 09:45 AM

I think Thomas has to be on there and I agree on the other two. They are on my list.

JSUSoutherner
October 20th, 2017, 10:14 AM
Not bad considering Roc has been on the bench almost 5 of the last 8 quarters.

POD Knows
October 20th, 2017, 10:21 AM

Also no Jaelon Acklin at all yet has to be one of the biggest oversights.Yep, agree 100%

smallcollegefbfan
October 20th, 2017, 10:24 AM
I don't think any of these running backs will win the Payton but as you can see there is a strong group so far.

RB Lance Dunn, North Dakota State, Jr.- 67 carries, 604 yards, 9.0avg, 12 TD, 100.7 yds/gm, 5 catches, 28 yards, 1 TD in 6 games.
RB Ladarius Galloway, UT Martin, Jr.- 114 carries, 629 yards, 5.5avg, 4 TD, 104.8 yds/gm, 13 catches, 123 yards in 6 games.
RB Josh Mack, Maine, Soph.- 112 carries, 772 yards, 6.9avg, 5 TD, 154.4 yds/gm, 14 catches, 63 yards in 5 games.
RB Detrez Newsome, Western Carolina, Sr.- 83 carries, 626 yards, 7.5avg, 7 TD, 125.2 yds/gm, 4 catches, 79 yards in 5 games.
RB Roc Thomas, Jacksonville State, Sr.- 95 carries, 553 yards, 5.8avg, 6 TD, 92.2 yds/gm, 11 catches, 159 yards in 6 games.

Just think this is without Chase Edmonds being healthy and the UND duo has not done as well either.

JSUSoutherner
October 20th, 2017, 10:28 AM
Roc Thomas will fall off until the playoffs if the last two games are any indication of the rest of our regular season cause he will be benched by halftime. We've been getting Tramel Terry and Flakes much more involved the past couple weeks.

My guess is if the YSU game is any indication of what's to come Dunn's days of parading over the worst defenses in the FCS are over.

smallcollegefbfan
October 20th, 2017, 10:36 AM
Roc Thomas will fall off until the playoffs if the last two games are any indication of the rest of our regular season cause he will be benched by halftime. We've been getting Tramel Terry and Flakes much more involved the past couple weeks.

My guess is if the YSU game is any indication of what's to come Dunn's days of parading over the worst defenses in the FCS are over.

The UT Martin running back has tapered off some. He was great early on. If he can put up 3 or 4 big games he comes right back into the conversation.

Professor Chaos
October 20th, 2017, 10:41 AM

And Thomas' days of parading over the worst defenses in the FCS is just beginning...

JSUSoutherner
October 20th, 2017, 10:44 AM
And Thomas' days of parading over the worst defenses in the FCS is just beginning...

No it's not. Like I said, he'll ride the bench for most of it. Grass seems pretty set on getting our 2 and 3 guys some playing time and preserving Roc for the playoffs. We didn't have him for YSU last year and it showed.

The UT Martin running back has tapered off some. He was great early on. If he can put up 3 or 4 big games he comes right back into the conversation.

I noticed that too. Has he been hurt or something? It looked like he wasn't even getting a majority of the snaps.

Professor Chaos
October 20th, 2017, 10:46 AM
No it's not. Like I said, he'll ride the bench for most of it. Grass seems pretty set on getting our 2 and 3 guys some playing time and preserving Roc for the playoffs. We didn't have him for YSU last year and it showed.

And what do you think Dunn did against the cupcakes NDSU played? He had 3 carries (and 4 TDs) against Robert Morris. There's a reason he only has 67 carries on the year and it's not because he's been hurt.

BisonFan02
October 20th, 2017, 10:47 AM

xlolx

JSUSoutherner
October 20th, 2017, 10:49 AM
And what do you think Dunn did against the cupcakes NDSU played? He had 3 carries (and 4 TDs) against Robert Morris.
When did I say it wasn't the same for Dunn? I know what he did against MVSU. He had 3 carries for 3 TDs and that was it.

If you want to pound your chest for Dunn because he eats cupcakes quicker than Roc be my guest.

Professor Chaos
October 20th, 2017, 10:53 AM
When did I say it wasn't the same for Dunn? I know what he did against MVSU. He had 3 carries for 3 TDs and that was it.

If you want to pound your chest for Dunn because he eats cupcakes quicker than Roc be my guest.
You commented that Thomas' numbers will fall off because he's playing cupcakes and will be benched by halftime. You also commented that Dunn's numbers will fall off because he's not playing cupcakes anymore. My point is Dunn didn't need 20+ carries to make mincemeant of his cupcakes and Thomas shouldn't either if he's deserving of being on the Payton watch list.

JSUSoutherner
October 20th, 2017, 10:58 AM
You commented that Thomas' numbers will fall off because he's playing cupcakes and will be benched by halftime. You also commented that Dunn's numbers will fall off because he's not playing cupcakes anymore. My point is Dunn didn't need 20+ carries to make mincemeant of his cupcakes and Thomas shouldn't either if he's deserving of being on the Payton watch list.

I just think it's hilarious you guys tried to knock Briscoes stats last year when he was putting up big numbers against cupcakes but when Dunn puts up big numbers against Cupcakes you guys hail him like he's the second coming of Bo Jackson.

Professor Chaos
October 20th, 2017, 11:01 AM
I just think it's hilarious you guys tried to knock Briscoes stats last year when he was putting up big numbers against cupcakes but when Dunn puts up big numbers against Cupcakes you guys hail him like he's the second coming of Bo Jackson.
You infer far too much. I'm saying if Thomas is deserving of being on the Payton watch list right now so is Dunn. It's pretty simple.

JSUSoutherner
October 20th, 2017, 11:11 AM
You infer far too much. I'm saying if Thomas is deserving of being on the Payton watch list right now so is Dunn. It's pretty simple.
I don't disagree but I wouldn't be whining if Roc weren't. Neither have a shot at winning the thing and neither will/would likely be a finalist.

Professor Chaos
October 20th, 2017, 11:42 AM
I don't disagree but I wouldn't be whining if Roc weren't. Neither have a shot at winning the thing and neither will/would likely be a finalist.
Yeah, that's pretty much the case for any non-QB at this point. It's pretty amazing to me that Kupp won it in 2015. No RB has won it since 2003. Terrance West had probably the greatest season for an RB in FCS history in 2013 and still couldn't beat out Jimmy G from Eastern Illinois that year.

LU808
October 20th, 2017, 12:23 PM
(STATS) - Six players were named midseason additions to the STATS FCS Walter Payton Award Watch List on Wednesday.

The Payton Award, first awarded in 1987 and presented to the FCS offensive player of the year, has watched past winners such as Steve McNair, Tony Romo, Brian Westbrook, John Friesz, Brian Finneran, Jimmy Garoppolo and Cooper Kupp move on to the NFL. A national panel of over 150 sports information and media relations directors, broadcasters, writers and other dignitaries will vote on 25 finalists following the regular season.

The new nominees to the watch list:

Keelan Doss, UC Davis, WR, R-Jr., 6-3, 206, Alameda, California
Ranks first in the FCS in receptions per game (9.3) and receiving yards per game (145) and second in receiving yards (870). Also has caught five touchdowns.

Hayden Hildebrand, Central Arkansas, R-Sr., 6-3, 192, Bossier City, Louisiana
A four-touchdown performance against Sam Houston State has highlighted a season in which Hildebrand has completed over 68 percent of his passes with 14 touchdowns.

Josh Mack, Maine, RB, So., 6-1, 198, Rochester, New York
Bolstered by 255- and 248-yard rushing performances, Mack leads the FCS in rushing yards per game (154.4). He's scored five touchdowns.

Lamar Raynard, North Carolina A&T, QB, R-Jr., 6-4, 200, High Point, North Carolina
Raynard has led the Aggies to a 7-0 start as the FCS leader in passing efficiency (185.5) with 20 touchdown passes against only three interceptions.

Chris Streveler, South Dakota, QB, R-Sr., 6-3, 215, Crystal Lake, Illinois
The Missouri Valley's 2016 newcomer of the year has risen to an even higher level with 25 total touchdowns (17 passing, eight rushing) in the No. 4 Coyotes' 6-0 start.

Roc Thomas, Jacksonville State, RB, R-Sr., 5-11, 193, Oxford, Alabama
The No. 1 offensive option for the Ohio Valley Conference power, Thomas has rushed for 553 yards and six touchdowns and is second on the team in receptions (11).

Preseason nominees for the watch list were quarterbacks Jeremiah Briscoe of Sam Houston State, Taryn Christion of South Dakota State, Case Cookus of Northern Arizona, Gage Gubrud of Eastern Washington, Devlin Hodges of Samford, DeVante Kincade of Grambling State, Kyle Lauletta of Richmond, Anthony Lawrence of San Diego, Tyrell Maxwell of Gardner-Webb and Bryan Schor of James Madison; running backs Chase Edmonds of Fordham, Elijah Ibitokun-Hanks of Albany, John Lovett of Princeton and Detrez Newsome of Western Carolina; fullback Joe Protheroe of Cal Poly; wide receivers Emmanuel Butler of Northern Arizona, Kamron Lewis of Saint Francis, Troy Pelletier of Lehigh, Justin Watson of Penn and Jake Wieneke of South Dakota State; tight end Dallas Goedert of South Dakota State; and offensive tackle Brandon Parker of North Carolina A&T.

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20171018134818127693004

Where the heck is Brad Mayes from Lehigh? He is in the top ten statistically in several categories!

ST_Lawson
October 20th, 2017, 01:03 PM

All of these are true. Acklin isn't getting it, but it'd be nice to have some recognition.

Obviously, we've still got some games to go against some really good teams, but he's currently on pace to have 1,518 receiving yards, 357 rushing yards, 14.7 receiving TDs, and 5.5 rushing TDs.

Those 1,518 yards aren't quite Cooper Kupp-type numbers, but the school record of 1,184 by Lance Lenoir in 2015 is for sure in danger (he's 356 yards away, 71.2 ypg for the remaining 5) and the MVFC record of 1,472 by Wieneke in 2015 (in 12 games) might even be under consideration if he keeps it up (644 yards away, 128.8 ypg for remaining 5...currently averaging 138 ypg).

14-15 TDs would either tie or beat our school record of 14 by Lito Senatus in 2010 (in 13 games). The conference record of 16 is held by Eddie Berlin (UNI, 2000) and Wieneke twice (2014 w/ 14 games and 2016 w/ 13 games).

Since playoffs are counted in those numbers, if we do end up making the playoffs, and especially if we make it a round or two in...he stands a good chance of eclipsing many of those numbers.

He's also on track to beat our school's season receptions record of 83 (Lance Lenoir, 2015) by 1.3 catches.

UNH72Plus
October 20th, 2017, 01:32 PM
I've put in a vote for WR Neil O'Connor from UNH. Through six games he has more yards per game, receptions per game, and TDs than any of the previously listed players. He also is two for two passing with a 60 yard TD.