PDA

View Full Version : The Actual Top 5 (Or who do you NOT want to rematch)

penguinpower
October 17th, 2017, 11:45 PM
So I know that slot voting is a factor in the polls. I am guilty of it myself. That being said, what are your top 5 teams in terms ability. I don't care about the order, just want to know who you think are the top 5 and or who you don't want to play.

penguinpower
October 17th, 2017, 11:47 PM
Mine are :

NDSU
JMU
USD
SDSU
UNI

penguinpower
October 17th, 2017, 11:49 PM
Mine are :

NDSU
JMU
USD
SDSU
UNI

I would have WIU or JSU in there but we won't play them unless we make the playoff

JSUSoutherner
October 18th, 2017, 12:00 AM
Top five teams in terms of ability?

In no particular order:

YSU
JMU
NDSU
JSU
USD

Not sure there's a team I wouldn't like to play or don't think we could beat. To be the best you gotta beat the best or something like that.

woffordgrad94
October 18th, 2017, 03:55 AM
5 Teams I Don’t Want In the Playoffs:
North Dakota State
James Madison
South Dakota
Central Arkansas
Furman

RootinFerDukes
October 18th, 2017, 06:18 AM
The ags top five is spot on currently. I’ll go with those ones.

Professor Chaos
October 18th, 2017, 06:59 AM
I don't really care as long as it's not a regular season rematch in the early rounds of the playoffs. Not a fan of those.

PantherRob82
October 18th, 2017, 07:18 AM
The title of this thread is misleading. You have successfully confused a lot of people.

dewey
October 18th, 2017, 09:19 AM
Here is my top 5.

1: James Madison Dukes
2: North Dakota State Bison
3: South Dakota Coyotes
4: Youngstown State Penguins
5: Central Arkansas Bears

Dewey

Terrier19
October 18th, 2017, 09:22 AM
So I know that slot voting is a factor in the polls. I am guilty of it myself. That being said, what are your top 5 teams in terms ability. I don't care about the order, just want to know who you think are the top 5 and or who you don't want to play.

I wonder Why Wofford is mysteriously left off of the "Top 5" and a Youngstown fan especially....you do remember our double OT game in the playoffs last season right? And Wofford brought most of that team back and has not lost this season......shrugs.....

Bisonator
October 18th, 2017, 09:23 AM
In no particular order:

JMU
NDSU
USD
YSU
WIU

Reign of Terrier
October 18th, 2017, 09:46 AM
Thankfully, the toughest teams in the playoffs we played last year who also have a scheme advantage are probably not going to play us again in the playoffs (Citadel, CSU). It's hard to gauge Wofford against certain competition, especially since we had a 3 year absence from the playoffs. Having said that, here are my 5:

1. JMU: Tough team in general, but Mike Houston knows how to beat an option team (beat us like a drum in Charleston two years ago)
2. NDSU: If we played them at home, I'd like our chances better than in the Fargo Dome or on the "neutral" field in Frisco. NDSU is a great team with an efficient offense/defense on their own accord, but they are almost unbeatable in the Fargo Dome
3. Furman. Though it's *possible* their offensive efficiency is attributable to playing weak teams the last month, I don't think it's *likely.* To quote Les Miles, they are a damn strong football team, if we're going to make comparisons from year-to-year, they are the most "Wofford 2016-like team" right now. They may not be championship worthy, but they can beat my T'Dawgs and probably make it to the quarterfinals.
4. Western Carolina. We beat them once, but they are unbeatable when they hit their stride.
5. Samford. recently has had our number. And we play this week.

There are a lot of good teams in the FCS.

Edit: if the topic of this thread is top 5 overall, I got nothing for you.

Terrier19
October 18th, 2017, 09:55 AM
The title of this thread is misleading. You have successfully confused a lot of people.

FACTS

Peachy Carnahan
October 18th, 2017, 10:16 AM
As I understand this thread, these are the teams I do not want a rematch with: I'm taking this in a little different direction. These are the teams I def do not want to play again because I feel it does nothing for our season other than give our team a breather and allow our reserves to play:

Any D2 or lower team we've played in the last 10 years. Most of the time, these wins with a few notable exceptions can put a team in a bind when it comes to playoff selection...especially when a team finds itself around that 6-7 D1 win mark. I can think of at least 5 teams that fall in this category.

Now here are 5 teams who beat us with whom most Wofford fans are aching to get rematches with:

1. NDSU- A very tough 14-7 game that for a few fumbles we could have won.

2. JMU- A 38-35 slug fest.

3. YSU- An overtime loss last season where we fumbled a pitch going in for the score on 4th down.

4. UNI- A loss where we were in control of the game but made a few terrible plays to snatch defeat from victory.

5. Richmond- We had just defeated Montana out there but came home flat and lost to the Spiders.

All these were playoff losses which intensifies the sting. I just love that level of competition. I hope you don't mind that I took this in a different direction.

Now here are some teams that I hope we don't face early n the playoffs (Assuming we make the playoffs) because we've beat them by the slimmest of margins earlier this year:

1. Furman

2. Western Carolina

3. Citadel

These teams are tough and hungry and can defeat anyone in the country. They are also young and get better with every game.

Silenoz
October 18th, 2017, 11:45 AM
Mine are :

NDSU
JMU
USD
SDSU
UNI

Why?

Maybe that's a rhetorical question because this is an attempt at disguising a MVFC hype thread

CockyGeek
October 18th, 2017, 12:38 PM
That's obvious what this is. Indiana State looking real tough this year.

cx500d
October 18th, 2017, 04:33 PM
That's obvious what this is. Indiana State looking real tough this year.

Yeah, to the NEC, OVC, SLC, BigSouth, etc

Thumper 76
October 18th, 2017, 08:33 PM
I wonder Why Wofford is mysteriously left off of the "Top 5" and a Youngstown fan especially....you do remember our double OT game in the playoffs last season right? And Wofford brought most of that team back and has not lost this season......shrugs.....

Here’s my problem with you Wofford guys. You point at the YSU game and shout “See it was close! So our teams are close!” But now during the season you’ve had nothing but close games and now it’s “Well that’s just what happens with our style of play, we’re amazing”. Y’all need to pick a story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peachy Carnahan
October 18th, 2017, 09:19 PM
Thumper. You are correct...they were close games.

penguinpower
October 19th, 2017, 08:27 AM
Well I think SDSU can be dangerous if they improve on defense. Their offense is so potent that if they get a decent lead they can out score most teams. I know that the games were unusual vs UNI and Youngstown but if they put off a few big wins they are back in the middle of things. I think the talent is there.

woffordgrad94
October 19th, 2017, 01:05 PM
Thumper asked Wofford fans to pick a story. Well here’s my story. For whatever reason, be it playing style or simply team phyche, Wofford plays EVERYONE close...both good and bad teams. That’s my story, and I think the results on the field bear that out. That is both a good and a bad thing, Good because we’re in every game with a chance to win, even against elite competition. And bad because it means one mistake can sink us, even against poor competition. Are we a good team? No doubt. Should we be ranked in the top 10? I think so. There aren’t many unbeaten left. Are we a threat to win it all? I hesitate to say yes to that one right now. I need more convincing. But I digress from the topic of the thread...

Terrier19
October 19th, 2017, 01:40 PM
Here’s my problem with you Wofford guys. You point at the YSU game and shout “See it was close! So our teams are close!” But now during the season you’ve had nothing but close games and now it’s “Well that’s just what happens with our style of play, we’re amazing”. Y’all need to pick a story.

Hold on...I am missing something...That loss to Youngstown in the playoffs @ Youngstown was in Double OT, in a game Wofford controlled from the first whistle...and was the only loss in the last 13 games dating back to last season.....What else needs to be explained to you?? The story is right in front of you....if you cannot comprehend what is in plain sight, its not the story that needs revising.........

Who has said "We're amazing" as you stated?? Show us where that has been said. Wofford is a tough out for any team in the field, that is what we have said and will continue to say. Ranked 5th in the nation also says it for us, being undefeated this season reiterates it, without us needing to explain to you. There is our story that is "PICKED".

PantherRob82
October 19th, 2017, 03:12 PM
Hold on...I am missing something...That loss to Youngstown in the playoffs @ Youngstown was in Double OT, in a game Wofford controlled from the first whistle...and was the only loss in the last 13 games dating back to last season.....What else needs to be explained to you?? The story is right in front of you....if you cannot comprehend what is in plain sight, its not the story that needs revising.........

Who has said "We're amazing" as you stated?? Show us where that has been said. Wofford is a tough out for any team in the field, that is what we have said and will continue to say. Ranked 5th in the nation also says it for us, being undefeated this season reiterates it, without us needing to explain to you. There is our story that is "PICKED".

****ing Octoberists. xlolx

Terrier19
October 19th, 2017, 03:20 PM
****ing Octoberists. xlolx

Which is the best month to discuss the 2-4 PV Panthers?.......shrugs.........I kid I kid......xcoffeex

Professor Chaos
October 19th, 2017, 03:22 PM

A game Wofford controlled from the first whistle??? They were outgained by over 100 yards, had less TOP, didn't complete a pass, and forced YSU to punt only 3 times in 12 possessions. That was a back and forth game if there ever was one but if anyone controlled the game it was YSU.

Terrier19
October 19th, 2017, 03:24 PM
A game Wofford controlled from the first whistle??? They were outgained by over 100 yards, had less TOP, didn't complete a pass, and forced YSU to punt only 3 times in 12 possessions. That was a back and forth game if there ever was one but if anyone controlled the game it was YSU.

Maybe the 9-0 score in the 1st quarter and blocked punt early on was the indicator of leading from the first whistle.......The rest of the game was a helluva game indeed. That was the meaning. And as frustrating as it may be, not completing a pass last season in that game, wasn't some revelation or masterful defense.......passing wasnt in our game plan....as awful as it is to say that.....4th string QB thrust into the starting role that game was a major factor in that.

TheKingpin28
October 19th, 2017, 04:14 PM
Which is the best month to discuss the 2-4 PV Panthers?.......shrugs.........I kid I kid......xcoffeex

This is why you got called an Octoberist.

Terrier19
October 19th, 2017, 04:15 PM
This is why you got called an Octoberist.

OH NOOOOO!!! NOT AN OCTOBERIST.......THE SHOCK......

Terrier19
October 19th, 2017, 04:19 PM
I digress to the OP and the Topic at hand....While Celebrating OCTOBERFEST!!!!!!! xdrunkyxxdrunkyxxdrunkyx

TheKingpin28
October 19th, 2017, 04:32 PM
OH NOOOOO!!! NOT AN OCTOBERIST.......THE SHOCK......

You do realize he is not a true PVAM supporter, right?

PantherRob82
October 19th, 2017, 04:36 PM
You do realize he is not a true PVAM supporter, right?
I’m not sure how he would. xlolx. That’s hella confusing.

Terrier19
October 19th, 2017, 04:38 PM

FAM....xlolxxlolx

Thumper 76
October 19th, 2017, 06:11 PM

When you are upset that you aren’t in someone’s top 5 I would argue that you are arguing that you are “amazing” in the overly dramatic way I used it. Don’t be mad when people question if you’re a top 5 team when you get taken to the wire by Garner Webb who got boat raced by a NCA&T team that nobody is arguing to be top 5, then all of a sudden it becomes “that’s just how we play”. When it’s against a YSU team however, a close game is indicative of how great you are. You don’t get to have both ways. Congrats, you have 13 wins against mostly mediocre competition in a SoCon that is pretty decent overall but very much lacking in the top end firepower that the CAA and MVFC have. So don’t be pissy when people think your top ten but maybe not a for sure top 5 with your results against teams a top five team should throttle.

TheKingpin28
October 19th, 2017, 08:14 PM

Is it?

You do live up to the moniker.

ngineer
October 19th, 2017, 08:49 PM
If we're just talkin' offense, the Lehigh has to be in the top five!xlolxxpeacexxsmiley_wix

Peachy Carnahan
October 19th, 2017, 09:10 PM
Thumper...I understand it is in your best interest to portray the SOCON or anyone outside your conference as an inferior opponent. The game between Wofford and YSU last year was a fantastic game between very good ball clubs. You guys went on to be runner ups in the nation. However Wofford was considered by some to be the 4th best team in the SOCON who had to go through another SOCON team to get to you in the playoffs. I would argue that the Citadel or Chattanooga would have given you guys a run for your money just like we did in that game. I would argue Samford as well but they were pretty banged up when came playoff time. I would also argue, that Furman, WCU, and Samford would do the same this year but those are just my observations. Hopefully the football gods will look down upon us so we can possibly play each other again soon.

Terrier19
October 20th, 2017, 09:05 AM
When you are upset that you aren’t in someone’s top 5 I would argue that you are arguing that you are “amazing” in the overly dramatic way I used it. Don’t be mad when people question if you’re a top 5 team when you get taken to the wire by Garner Webb who got boat raced by a NCA&T team that nobody is arguing to be top 5, then all of a sudden it becomes “that’s just how we play”. When it’s against a YSU team however, a close game is indicative of how great you are. You don’t get to have both ways. Congrats, you have 13 wins against mostly mediocre competition in a SoCon that is pretty decent overall but very much lacking in the top end firepower that the CAA and MVFC have. So don’t be pissy when people think your top ten but maybe not a for sure top 5 with your results against teams a top five team should throttle.

UPSET?? LMAO GTFOH....you take yourself way too seriously.......I couldnt't care any less what you feel or think....the rankings are what they are...seems if anyone is "emotional' about anything its you........I am not a simple "fan" like a lot of the folks in here....I actually have skin in the game if you will.....I like the discussions, its sports, its what happens....you seem a little too emotional about it all.....take a break my friend....have a cold one....on my dime....

Meanwhile I get to enjoy another ranked matchup with my #5 Wofford Terriers hosting #14 Samford in a very important SoCon matchup.....I know it hurts some folks feelings of the conference fanboys of some other conferences that a SoCon member be confident in its team and its results....but it's ok.....plenty of football left.....we will see how it all shakes out....I absolutely love my team and its spot........CHEERS MATE

FWIW...I am good with us being in the Top 10 too....What does any of that mean until the end of the season anyway but for fan discussion / debate? By the way, I love the SoCon teams and feel the SoCon will be a serious threat to teams in the playoffs this season.....

Terrier19
October 20th, 2017, 09:07 AM

I appreciate your ability to see these are simply jokes.....respect.....

PantherRob82
October 20th, 2017, 11:39 AM
I appreciate your ability to see these are simply jokes.....respect.....

Well given that I haven’t used my team’s helmet in like a year and accidentally picked another Panther team... xcoolx

woffordgrad94
October 20th, 2017, 11:42 AM
I thought that was a North Carolina A&T helmet as Panther Rob’s avatar.

Terrier19
October 20th, 2017, 12:38 PM
Well given that I haven’t used my team’s helmet in like a year and accidentally picked another Panther team... xcoolx

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx SHEESH.......well at least we are all on the same page now!!!

Thumper 76
October 20th, 2017, 12:43 PM
UPSET?? .I am not a simple "fan" like a lot of the folks in here....I actually have skin in the game if you will

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

So you played, your kid plays, or you’re a donor.

PantherRob82
October 20th, 2017, 01:52 PM
I thought that was a North Carolina A&T helmet as Panther Rob’s avatar.

But it until he said something, it was Prairieview A&M

TheKingpin28
October 20th, 2017, 03:13 PM

So do you tell him? :D

Thumper 76
October 20th, 2017, 03:21 PM
So do you tell him? :D

No he tells me. Or doesn’t. Either way I don’t lose any sleep over it. He seems to think I’m all fired up xlolx

Terrier19
October 20th, 2017, 03:44 PM

Correct.

Terrier19
October 20th, 2017, 03:45 PM
No he tells me. Or doesn’t. Either way I don’t lose any sleep over it. He seems to think I’m all fired up xlolx

And yet....you are STILL talking about it......albeit with zero emotion....xlolxxlolxxlolx

TheKingpin28
October 20th, 2017, 04:25 PM

I always need a good laugh and I got one out of this.

Catbooster
October 20th, 2017, 04:28 PM
The Actual top five? Probably the same 5 I voted as top five in my poll.

penguinpower
October 21st, 2017, 08:51 AM
Not for slot voters