PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 10-16

JALMOND
October 16th, 2017, 09:46 PM
Just when things start making sense, something happens that throws everything in to a big flux again. Weber State, emerging as the strong lead dog, then falls flat on their noses at home. Halfway home and what do we really know about the Big Sky? Here are this week's power rankings (last week in parenthesis). As usual, all are up for discussion as this is just my opinion only. Have at it.

1. Northern Arizona (2)---Last week won at Portland State 42-20, this week UC-Davis at home---One minute it looks like the Lumberjacks are struggling, the next minute the are totally in control, somehow marching towards another win. Somehow, they are just getting it done. Heading home this weekend.

2. Eastern Washington (3)---Last week beat Montana State at home 31-19, this week at Southern Utah---Sending shivers through the conference, the Eagles seem to have shaken off their early season rust and once again are soaring to new heights. Heading on the road this weekend to meet a quality opponent.

3. Montana (4)---Last week beat North Dakota at home 41-17, this week bye---The Grizzlies came thundering in to their home with an impressive win over reeling North Dakota. Feeling really good about themselves, this week they draw the short straw and will take this weekend off.

4. Weber State (1)---Last week lost to Southern Utah at home 32-16, this week at Cal Poly---The Wildcats were feeling pretty good about themselves, right up to when they lost their quarterback. Now, after taking one on the chin, they hit the road for what should be an easy one, unless they don't have their quarterback.

5. Montana State (5)---Last week lost at Eastern Washington 31-19, this week at Northern Colorado---The Bobcats woke up late and tried to make a game last weekend, but the deficit was too much to overcome. So close, but they are now looking at having to possibly win out for a shot at the playoffs.

6. Sacramento State (6)---Last week beat Idaho State at home 41-21, this week at North Dakota---The Hornets returned to winning by getting a strong win at home, and thus continue their surprising season. This week, they get their shot at struggling North Dakota.

7. Southern Utah (8)---Last week won at Weber State 32-16, this week Eastern Washington at home---The Thunderbirds are really quite unpredictable and may be the wrench that keeps getting thrown around here. They get another shot at dethroning a heavyweight this weekend at home.

8. UC-Davis (7)---Last week bye, this week at Northern Arizona---The Aggies took a much needed bye last weekend and now feel refreshed and eager to continue their surprising season this weekend. But they have to head out on the road and meet up with one of the conference's strong teams.

9. North Dakota (9)---Last week lost at Montana 41-17, this week Sacramento State at home---The Hawks were feeling good after a strong win, only to come crashing back down to earth last weekend. They head home this weekend and face one of the upstarts in the conference.

10. Idaho State (10)---Last week lost at Sacramento State 41-21, this week Portland State at home---The Bengals hope for a magical season took a big hit last week as they could not get a big win on the road. They return home this weekend against a relatively weaker opponent.

11. Northern Colorado (11)---Last week bye, this week Montana State at home---The Bears have got to be thinking that they are better than this, but the ball just hasn't gone their way. Taking last week off, they should be well rested and eager to take down one of the conference's better teams.

12. Portland State (12)---Last week lost to Northern Arizona at home 42-20, this week at Idaho State---There the Vikings were feeling really good about themselves and thinking they can get the upset, then the same old things started happening. They now go on the road, looking for their first win.

13. Cal Poly (13)---Last week bye, this week Weber State at home---The saving grace for the Mustangs was that they were able to take last week off and get refocused on the season. However, they get a wounded but strong conference foe coming in to town this weekend.

RECAP: 1-4 bunched up at the top, 5 on an island, 6-8 gaining, 9-11 losing ground, 12-13 falling.

jadmt
October 17th, 2017, 08:48 AM
I would move SU up to #4, eastern up to #1 and nau and UM tied for #2, next week will really be changed as ewu looses and watch CP pull one off.

JALMOND
October 17th, 2017, 09:02 AM
I would move SU up to #4, eastern up to #1 and nau and UM tied for #2, next week will really be changed as ewu looses and watch CP pull one off.

As good as their win was against Weber, I still can't look past SUU's ugly loss to Sacramento State. It looked like a repeat of the Oregon game. They beat EWU and I probably could think the Sac State game was a hiccup type of game.

SactoHornetFan
October 17th, 2017, 09:12 AM
1) EWU...The Eagles showed they can be somewhat contained, but not stopped on offense against MSU.
2) NAU...The Jacks did what they needed to do against a PSU team that seems to be a shell of what they were two years ago.
3) WSU...With Cantwell, they are nearly unstoppable. Without him, they are very vulnerable.
4) UM...The Grizzlies would be higher with a 5-2 record if it wasn't for their soft non-conference schedule.
5) SAC...The Hornets were able to rest up during the bye and took it to ISU on Homecoming. Now have to win on the road, this week at hurting UND.
6) SUU...Who is SUU: team that beat Weber (although to be fair I think the Wildcats would have won if Cantwell wasn't injured) or the team that lost to SAC?
7) MSU...The Bobcats can pound the ball on the ground...too bad their defense is just getting pounded by the opposition.
8) UCD...Just like SUU, who is UCD: the team that looked good against UND and EWU (a narrow loss at home) or the team that got absolutely exposed at Weber?
9) UNC...The Bears need to have consistent play and stop the unforced errors. Will they get a chance with MSU at home this week?
10) ISU...The good news for ISU: they won at Nevada. The bad news: that will likely be their season highlight as their OL gave up 6 sacks in back to back weeks against UM and SAC.
11) UND...The injuries and lack of depth are finally showing for UND and they can't stop the run (SAC loves to run) and the pass (giving up at least 300 yards last three weeks including two games with 400+).
12) PSU...BarneyBall is BarneyByeBye at this point. The theme this year for them is: Close, but no cigar.
13) CP...Poly is banged up, beat up and burnt up at this point. Will this be the curtain call for Walsh and crew with Weber coming to town?

SactoHornetFan
October 17th, 2017, 09:14 AM
As good as their win was against Weber, I still can't look past SUU's ugly loss to Sacramento State. It looked like a repeat of the Oregon game. They beat EWU and I probably could think the Sac State game was a hiccup type of game.

I just think we are a much better team than SUU and their win at SFA is now proving to be not as quality because those Jacks are garbage right now in the Southland.

kalm
October 17th, 2017, 09:15 AM
Most teams will struggle without their starting QB and Tyler didn't play against SAC. That doesn't excuse the 300+ rushing they gave up but still...if we're going to use it with Weber...

And what if Sac is actually kind of good?

kalm
October 17th, 2017, 09:16 AM
I just think we are a much better team than SUU and their win at SFA is now proving to be not as quality because those Jacks are garbage right now in the Southland.

Garbage that played two top 10 teams tight.

SactoHornetFan
October 17th, 2017, 09:18 AM
Garbage that played two top 10 teams tight.

That's like saying PSU played the Zoobs and Beavs tight, in the end it still doesn't matter.

Grizalltheway
October 17th, 2017, 09:29 AM
Most teams will struggle without their starting QB and Tyler didn't play against SAC. That doesn't excuse the 300+ rushing they gave up but still...if we're going to use it with Weber...

And what if Sac is actually kind of good?

Hey, we lost our starting QB for the season. :D

Yes I realize we're very fortunate to have someone like Jensen as our back up.

jadmt
October 17th, 2017, 09:29 AM
They beat UNI they are for real. the sac game was a fluke. they have a pretty nice schedule here on out. They win this week and by the time they play NAU, Nau will have fallen apart.

With out your starting QB there to score points your defense is going to ultimately suffer some unless your backup is actually better but that is not the case for most teams especially SU or nau or und etc.

jadmt
October 17th, 2017, 09:33 AM

very unfortunate for Phillips because it is bad for him but we get a better QB and more wins as a result.

kalm
October 17th, 2017, 09:37 AM
That's like saying PSU played the Zoobs and Beavs tight, in the end it still doesn't matter.

Its not everything but of course it matters at least a little. Sac intrigues me and you may be right about being better but should we throw out your garbage wins against ICW and ISU because SUU still has the better resume at this point?

SactoHornetFan
October 17th, 2017, 09:47 AM
Its not everything but of course it matters at least a little. Sac intrigues me and you may be right about being better but should we throw out your garbage wins against ICW and ISU because SUU still has the better resume at this point?

We went toe-to-toe with Weber (take away that first quarter and its a different game) and nearly went it with you guys until the 4th. Bottom line is we have to win on the road...starting this week at UND. Those guys can't stop the run and our defense plays lights out ball. Take away the Eastern game (we all know that skews the stats more than any other school) and we are holding teams to 317 yards total. Not bad for a team that gave up over 500 yards a game last year. Plus, in our 5 FCS games so far, we have had over 500 yards a game in offense for all except the Weber game. Getting better every week.

kalm
October 17th, 2017, 09:55 AM
We went toe-to-toe with Weber (take away that first quarter and its a different game) and nearly went it with you guys until the 4th. Bottom line is we have to win on the road...starting this week at UND. Those guys can't stop the run and our defense plays lights out ball. Take away the Eastern game (we all know that skews the stats more than any other school) and we are holding teams to 317 yards total. Not bad for a team that gave up over 500 yards a game last year. Plus, in our 5 FCS games so far, we have had over 500 yards a game in offense for all except the Weber game. Getting better every week.

Agreed. Quite a bit of balance there on both sides of the ball and on offense between pass and run. Plus, Thompson is super impressive. To be honest, that's true of many in the conference this year. Perhaps no great teams and there will be some cannibalization, but 7-8 teams that are all capable of being playoff caliber if not picking up a win or two in the post season.

BadlandsGrizFan
October 17th, 2017, 10:14 AM

Ya were playing a Freshman people......

Montana finishes playing 3 of their last 4 against top 5 Big Sky teams.....should be interesting.

nevadagriz
October 17th, 2017, 10:25 AM
1. ewu
2.nau
t3 Montana, wsu
5.suu
6.sac
7.davis
8.isu
9. msu
10.no co
11. und
12 psu
13. poly

F'N Hawks
October 17th, 2017, 03:17 PM

You are extremely delusional about the state of Hornet football. That's all.

Also, beating UND is not some benchmark this year. You will be playing against a bunch of walk-ons and freshman. If you lose.......

veinup
October 17th, 2017, 05:16 PM
Ya were playing a Freshman people......

Montana finishes playing 3 of their last 4 against top 5 Big Sky teams.....should be interesting.

yup. i could see us losing three out of four.

geaux_sioux
October 17th, 2017, 05:21 PM
We should be at 13 wearing cement shoes.

Grizalltheway
October 17th, 2017, 05:24 PM
You taking action on that?

veinup
October 17th, 2017, 05:42 PM
You taking action on that?

hahahahaha. no. xdrunkyx

jadmt
October 17th, 2017, 08:35 PM

funny I see us winning 3 of 4 for sure and very likely 4 of 4. totally different vibe on campus lately.

grizband
October 17th, 2017, 11:45 PM

funny I see us winning 3 of 4 for sure and very likely 4 of 4. totally different vibe on campus lately.
Both scenarios are plausible, although losing 3 of 4 would surprise me slightly more.

kalm
October 18th, 2017, 07:47 AM

Campus vibe is worth a couple of wins at least!

jadmt
October 18th, 2017, 10:27 AM
Campus vibe is worth a couple of wins at least!

It's been reported to be worth 4 regular season wins and at least 1 play off win........

BadlandsGrizFan
October 18th, 2017, 11:15 AM
Current look in on campus in Missoula

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU3p6mz-uxU

Silenoz
October 18th, 2017, 11:39 AM
I see, you're a student. That may be the issue here. You're too young to remember when we played defense.

srgrizizen
October 18th, 2017, 12:18 PM
We should be at 13 wearing cement shoes.

Tough year with all your injuries, You'll be back.

jadmt
October 18th, 2017, 01:50 PM
I see, you're a student. That may be the issue here. You're too young to remember when we played defense.

I wish :). I have been following the Griz since they played at Dornblazer at South ave and Higgins LOL. I work on Campus and see somethings others might not. The defense only needs to hold the other team to less points than the offense is scoring. That said the D is shoring up and the O is going to keep scoring.

Grizalltheway
October 18th, 2017, 02:26 PM
I wish :). I have been following the Griz since they played at Dornblazer at South ave and Higgins LOL. I work on Campus and see somethings others might not. The defense only needs to hold the other team to less points than the offense is scoring. That said the D is shoring up and the O is going to keep scoring.

I agree to a certain extent, but you also have to keep the opponents in mind, particularly UND. Now if we can stop Weber and NAU from running all over us, I'll start to really believe.

veinup
October 18th, 2017, 03:29 PM
Current look in on campus in Missoula

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU3p6mz-uxU

seems that things have changed a bit since my day. maybe i should go back for a post grad degree..

jadmt
October 22nd, 2017, 03:42 PM
well what do you think LOL Going to be SUU and the Griz come playoff time.

I Bleed Purple
October 22nd, 2017, 04:02 PM
well what do you think LOL Going to be SUU and the Griz come playoff time.

Doesn't Montana have two conference losses?

veinup
October 22nd, 2017, 04:11 PM

just 1 so far (vs EWU).

griz, EWU, SUU, Weber, Sac all have 1 loss in conference.

I Bleed Purple
October 22nd, 2017, 04:12 PM
just 1 so far (vs EWU).

Oh, sorry, I must have time traveled to next week.

jadmt
October 22nd, 2017, 04:13 PM

nope and they won't either.

veinup
October 22nd, 2017, 04:13 PM

hahah. maybe so. xdrunkyx

soon the cream will rise to the top. exciting time.

Grizalltheway
October 22nd, 2017, 04:18 PM
I hope your boys are planning on scoring more than 17 next weekend.;)

jadmt
October 22nd, 2017, 04:18 PM

You will have to be traveling much further into the future before you see the Griz loose again and it won't be a conference game. Go Griz.

EllsworthGriz
October 22nd, 2017, 06:52 PM
that is what MSU tried to do for years. works ok in the Big Sky, but when you play the CAA or the Missouri Valley conference the dream ends and reality smacks you in the nads.