PDA

View Full Version : NCAA MNF???

Milktruck74
October 16th, 2017, 01:47 PM
Sitting here thinking that I can watch NCAA FB Tue Night, Wed night, Thur Night, occasionally Friday (although I have an issue competing with HS FB), all day Saturday.....not Sunday.........Should NCAA go up against MNF, giventhe issues the the NFL is having pulling in viewers? I heard the Saturday NCAA viewership actually surpassed the Sunday NFL for the first time in forever....thoughts?

Southern Bison
October 16th, 2017, 01:56 PM
Sitting here thinking that I can watch NCAA FB Tue Night, Wed night, Thur Night, occasionally Friday (although I have an issue competing with HS FB), all day Saturday.....not Sunday.........Should NCAA go up against MNF, giventhe issues the the NFL is having pulling in viewers? I heard the Saturday NCAA viewership actually surpassed the Sunday NFL for the first time in forever....thoughts?You'd have to allow a network to "flex" a top-25 matchup from a Saturday to get a large national audience similar to how College Gameday makes their selection on Sundays after the Saturday outcomes. In the NFL, NBC can flex teams from 1pm or 4pm and CBS & FOX can flex a game from 1 pm to the 4:25 slot.

If the host school can handle the logisitics of the schedule change, then I say go for it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ASU33
October 16th, 2017, 02:00 PM
I don't you'd get the fan or student turnout for this to work. Also going up against MNF would be a disaster

phoenix3
October 16th, 2017, 02:29 PM
xthumbsdownxxthumbsdownx

BisonFan02
October 16th, 2017, 02:30 PM
It would be worse than MACtion and whatever else the Sunbelt is trying to do.

Thumper 76
October 16th, 2017, 02:34 PM
This would be horrendous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CockyGeek
October 16th, 2017, 02:41 PM
Only the championship game can be on a Monday!

Lehigh Football Nation
October 16th, 2017, 02:50 PM
Who exactly would televise it? ESPN holds the rights to both MNF and a huge hunk of CFB games. Assuming ESPN doesn't want to cannibalize their own viewership, that would leave the Big 12 or minor conferences televising Monday games. If it's a minor conference, their viewership will be so infinitesimal that it's hardly would reporting or even considering. And the Big 12 isn't bat**** crazy enough to potentially go against a Cowboys game.

lionsrking2
October 16th, 2017, 03:51 PM
Not happening.

CHIP72
October 16th, 2017, 04:32 PM
There are various networks that could televise Monday night college football games - CBSSN, NBCSN, FS1, Stadium, Eleven Sports, etc., but they'd be dumb to do so.

If college football really wants to test its meddle, schedule some games on Sundays. If they are successful, then Congress can modify the Sports Broadcasting Act and allow the NFL to play games on Saturdays during the college football season.

UNIFanSince1983
October 16th, 2017, 04:45 PM
I for one love MACtion and FunBelt games. I wouldn't be opposed. Especially when the NFL gives you games like Indy vs Tennessee in prime time. Or when they force feed the Giants in Prime Time every single week.

Laker
October 16th, 2017, 07:25 PM
I love college football and don't even watch MNF much anymore- or much NFL in general. But no. I think the NFL is idiotic for having all of these terrible Thursday night games. Not good for the fans or the players. More is not always better.

And unlike North Carolina, we should remember that these are student athletes. Give them some time to actually do the first part.

ST_Lawson
October 16th, 2017, 07:26 PM
Do people still actually watch Monday Night Football? Once they went to ESPN, I pretty much forgot it existed.

Laker
October 16th, 2017, 07:37 PM
Do people still actually watch Monday Night Football? Once they went to ESPN, I pretty much forgot it existed.

My cousin Brian (year younger than me, lived a mile away, roommate in junior college and at MSU & grad school) had a tradition of having a pizza while watching the MNF game. Now, I just watch when the Vikings are on. It isn't the event that it once was, with the halftime highlights and carnival atmosphere.

ST_Lawson
October 16th, 2017, 10:05 PM
My cousin Brian (year younger than me, lived a mile away, roommate in junior college and at MSU & grad school) had a tradition of having a pizza while watching the MNF game. Now, I just watch when the Vikings are on. It isn't the event that it once was, with the halftime highlights and carnival atmosphere.

Yea, same here. I'll find a way to watch it when the Bears are on (I don't get ESPN), but otherwise....I don't really give a f***.

And I used to LOVE watching MNF when it was on ABC...didn't matter who was playing.

EDIT - this is what I grew up on...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDpL6n194fY

TheKingpin28
October 16th, 2017, 10:19 PM
Yea, same here. I'll find a way to watch it when the Bears are on (I don't get ESPN), but otherwise....I don't really give a f***.

And I used to LOVE watching MNF when it was on ABC...didn't matter who was playing.

The part in bold is beyond true for me.

Just to hear Al Michaels and John "Boom" Madden call the games were enough for me.

TheKingpin28
October 16th, 2017, 10:20 PM
The part in bold is beyond true for me.

Just to hear Al Michaels and John "Boom" Madden call the games were enough for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0lqXUFL6rE

walliver
October 17th, 2017, 11:50 AM
Monday night games, just like Wednesday and Thursday games, force athletes from the visiting team to miss two days of class (except at UNC) The teams would also have a short week to prepare. It is not a good idea, but perhaps the Sun Belt would go for it. If the game starts at 7PM ET, viewers could use it as a warm-up for MNF. A game starting at 9PM PT might have some attraction on the west coast.

Twentysix
October 17th, 2017, 04:11 PM
I could see Notre Dame pulling this off and pretty much no one else.

Iridebikes
October 17th, 2017, 04:15 PM
Sitting here thinking that I can watch NCAA FB Tue Night, Wed night, Thur Night, occasionally Friday (although I have an issue competing with HS FB), all day Saturday.....not Sunday.........Should NCAA go up against MNF, giventhe issues the the NFL is having pulling in viewers? I heard the Saturday NCAA viewership actually surpassed the Sunday NFL for the first time in forever....thoughts?
Not in favor or this idea. IMO saturation of the market does not improve the product. I'd personally be in favor of cutting college games back to Saturdays only.

cx500d
October 17th, 2017, 09:43 PM
I used to love listening to Dennis Miller's commentary...I think it went right over a lot of people's heads, though.