PDA

View Full Version : Football Rivals From Fifty-Three Yards, Friends For Life

FUBeAR
October 16th, 2017, 10:52 AM
http://furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/2017-18/releases/20171016guvhx3

Our God has a way about things....

Clay Hendrix and Bobby Lamb, two Commerce, Ga., boys of the same age who for years lived a flop wedge from each other on Dogwood Trail, shared a love and passion for the game that would shape their lives almost from the start.

At Commerce High School, they suited up for Bobby's father, Ray Lamb, and experienced tremendous success — a defining quality that would become ingrained in them as players, and later as coaches, husbands, and fathers. There was the 1981 2A state championship, made possible by Lamb the all-state quarterback and Hendrix the standout offensive guard, which provided a springboard to the opportunity and world of college football.

Outside of Georgia and Georgia Tech and a couple of historically black schools, college football playing opportunities in the Peach State in early 1980s were limited. Georgia Southern was a teacher's school essentially with a club team playing Jacksonville's police squad; Georgia State, a commuter's haven known for its MBA program but little else; and Kennesaw State, a sleepy, mostly-rural school with nothing more than a Civil War battlefield name. There was no football at Mercer, Shorter, or Rhinehart. Hard to imagine given the state of Georgia's longstanding passion for the football.

So the two decided on Furman University in Greenville, S.C., seventy five miles up Interstate 85...

bonarae
October 16th, 2017, 05:35 PM
Great post. Thanks for sharing.

OL FU
October 16th, 2017, 08:12 PM
So FUBeAr. You are quick with the post but you should let me write your thread titled for you in the future-:)

FUBeAR
October 16th, 2017, 08:44 PM
So FUBeAr. You are quick with the post but you should let me write your thread titled for you in the future-:)

I'll let Hunter know that you are not a fan of his work. ;)

Bisonoline
October 16th, 2017, 09:21 PM
http://furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/2017-18/releases/20171016guvhx3

Our God has a way about things....

Clay Hendrix and Bobby Lamb, two Commerce, Ga., boys of the same age who for years lived a flop wedge from each other on Dogwood Trail, shared a love and passion for the game that would shape their lives almost from the start.

At Commerce High School, they suited up for Bobby's father, Ray Lamb, and experienced tremendous success — a defining quality that would become ingrained in them as players, and later as coaches, husbands, and fathers. There was the 1981 2A state championship, made possible by Lamb the all-state quarterback and Hendrix the standout offensive guard, which provided a springboard to the opportunity and world of college football.

Outside of Georgia and Georgia Tech and a couple of historically black schools, college football playing opportunities in the Peach State in early 1980s were limited. Georgia Southern was a teacher's school essentially with a club team playing Jacksonville's police squad; Georgia State, a commuter's haven known for its MBA program but little else; and Kennesaw State, a sleepy, mostly-rural school with nothing more than a Civil War battlefield name. There was no football at Mercer, Shorter, or Rhinehart. Hard to imagine given the state of Georgia's longstanding passion for the football.

So the two decided on Furman University in Greenville, S.C., seventy five miles up Interstate 85...

Great story!

Go...gate
October 16th, 2017, 11:07 PM
What a terrific story.

OL FU
October 17th, 2017, 08:57 AM
I'll let Hunter know that you are not a fan of his work. ;)

xlolx I love itxthumbsupx