PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 to 1-10????

Milktruck74
October 16th, 2017, 06:56 AM
My Mocs are having a tough year. There is a good chance of going 1-10....playoffs 3 years running, conference championships....and BAM a one win season???? What other teams have experienced this type of slide? I know App State had a pretty bad transition year, but they didn't stay down long....who else?

Smitty
October 16th, 2017, 07:19 AM
We haven't gone to the playoffs or won conference championships but Western did go 7-5 in 2014, 7-4 in 2015 and then go 2-9 in 2016

Dukie95
October 16th, 2017, 07:24 AM
Towson was in Frisco in 2013, went 4-8 the next season.

Catamount87
October 16th, 2017, 07:40 AM
My Mocs are having a tough year. There is a good chance of going 1-10....playoffs 3 years running, conference championships....and BAM a one win season???? What other teams have experienced this type of slide? I know App State had a pretty bad transition year, but they didn't stay down long....who else?

We haven't gone to the playoffs or won conference championships but Western did go 7-5 in 2014, 7-4 in 2015 and then go 2-9 in 2016

What's the common denominator, coaching change to coaches with little or no experience at that level or position who end up being in over their head. 2016 WCU had a new, inexperienced DC. 2017 UTC chooses a D-whatever level guy who brings in D-whatever level coaching talent.

PaladinFan
October 16th, 2017, 08:01 AM
I can't help but also wonder if UTC's issue is that the team isn't really Arth's. He has some recruits, sure, but a lot of that group is probably holdovers from the prior administration and a bunch of transfer players. Does a transfer (or a bunch of them) have a lot of loyalty and buy into the new staff?

To the question, I think Georgia Southern went 8-3 in 2005, had an early exit in the post season against Texas State, hired Brian Van Gorder and promptly went 3-8.

DFW HOYA
October 16th, 2017, 08:04 AM
While not in the top 10, an argument can be made for Fordham, from 8-3 in 2016 to 1-6 in 2017.

Cocky
October 16th, 2017, 08:07 AM
I can't help but also wonder if UTC's issue is that the team isn't really Arth's. He has some recruits, sure, but a lot of that group is probably holdovers from the prior administration and a bunch of transfer players. Does a transfer (or a bunch of them) have a lot of loyalty and buy into the new staff?

To the question, I think Georgia Southern went 8-3 in 2005, had an early exit in the post season against Texas State, hired Brian Van Gorder and promptly went 3-8.

Why do people question transfers loyalty but not incoming freshmen? Have any of you every played on a team you were not loyal to or wanted them to win?
Furmans best years recently were with a transfer QB named Ingle Martin who whup our ass with a lot of loyalty.

PaladinFan
October 16th, 2017, 08:19 AM
Why do people question transfers loyalty but not incoming freshmen? Have any of you every played on a team you were not loyal to or wanted them to win?
Furmans best years recently were with a transfer QB named Ingle Martin who whup our ass with a lot of loyalty.

I have no inside knowledge of what is going on in the UTC locker room. I'm saying they have a bunch of transfer players, who were probably sold on UTC with the possibilities of playing time, NFL prospects, and winning. Right now, they aren't winning. They are not a team full of gritty "just happy to be here" types.

Ingle Martin was one of a couple of transfers on the 2004 and 2005 teams. They made up an extremely small portion of the teams roster. Unlike UTC, of course, they were winning a bunch. Any discontentment seems to mask itself with the team is lighting up the scoreboard.

I am not saying that is the case. I am just asking the question. The one major difference between UTC and most other SoCon schools is that they are loaded with transfer players. Maybe it's an x's and o's problem. Maybe it is a problem with the coaching staff being able to motivate the team. If so, why?

Reign of Terrier
October 16th, 2017, 08:36 AM
UTC is getting their butts kicked on the offensive line. It sounds reductionist, but that is the fundamental problem with their team. Their QB is good, but they can't run the ball. Their defense is decent, but you can't hope to win games or keep games in a manageable position if your offense can produce points.

Milktruck74
October 16th, 2017, 09:08 AM
UTC is getting their butts kicked on the offensive line. It sounds reductionist, but that is the fundamental problem with their team. Their QB is good, but they can't run the ball. Their defense is decent, but you can't hope to win games or keep games in a manageable position if your offense can produce points.

I think the defense would be much better with a break that was longer than 4 plays between series.

Bisonator
October 16th, 2017, 09:08 AM
Any one heard from chattownmocs lately?

walliver
October 16th, 2017, 09:33 AM
Georgia Southern fans feel UTC's pain.

Chatty's situation is hard to figure out. Arth is a respected coach. I suspected he might struggle with recruiting at FCS level, but didn't expect this complete breakdown. Maybe if he is able to recruit his type of players he can turn things around. I suspect that the turnover in assistant coaches has played a big role.

CHIP72
October 16th, 2017, 09:42 AM
If you broaden out the group of teams you examine, Southern Mississippi had 18 straight winning seasons between 1994 and 2011 and went 11-2 in 2011. They then went 0-12 in 2012.

In the NFL, one of these seasons isn't like the others:

New England Patriots 1976-1988 records:
1976: 11-3
1977: 9-5
1978: 11-5
1979: 9-7
1980: 10-6
1981: 2-14
1982: 5-4
1983: 8-8
1984: 9-7
1985: 11-5
1986: 11-5
1987: 8-7 (6-6 with the regular players)
1988: 9-7

Catbooster
October 16th, 2017, 09:51 AM
I know of a team that had 1 win in '83, won the national championship in '84 and had 2 wins in '85....xembarrassedxxdontknowx

Milktruck74
October 16th, 2017, 09:54 AM
Georgia Southern fans feel UTC's pain.

Chatty's situation is hard to figure out. Arth is a respected coach. I suspected he might struggle with recruiting at FCS level, but didn't expect this complete breakdown. Maybe if he is able to recruit his type of players he can turn things around. I suspect that the turnover in assistant coaches has played a big role.

I would say that recruiting issues shouldn't show up until the second or even third year....that said, he got some solid recruits this year and a bunch of good transfers. The Freshmen (copeland, nunley, etc) andTransfers (parker, orr) are the lone bright spot.

dgtw
October 16th, 2017, 12:29 PM
Southern Miss was crazy. They went 12-2 and then the new coach goes 0-12. How is that even possible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

centennial
October 16th, 2017, 12:41 PM

NDSU in 2009. 3-9. Bohl almost got fired.

cx500d
October 16th, 2017, 12:43 PM
I know of a team that had 1 win in '83, won the national championship in '84 and had 2 wins in '85....xembarrassedxxdontknowx

Yeah, Montana state was a head scratcher those years

AmsterBison
October 16th, 2017, 12:47 PM

Haha, that'll teach you to hire away an NDSU coach.

If there was an Under Performance Bowl for the FCS, I'm thinking it'd be UND v UTC. Probably shouldn't play a football game though because that would hurt peoples' eyes. Maybe just have a parade.

cx500d
October 16th, 2017, 12:51 PM

If there was an Under Performance Bowl for the FCS, I'm thinking it'd be UND v UTC. Probably shouldn't play a football game though because that would hurt peoples' eyes. Maybe just have a parade.

Earle Solomonson started at MSU in 87, which was a couple years later

Catbooster
October 16th, 2017, 12:53 PM

That was with Dave Arnold. Pretty sure it was after the '85 season that we hired Earle. Don't worry - he made us regret ever hiring him away from NDSU.

F'N Hawks
October 16th, 2017, 04:56 PM
To go from Top 10 to the absolute gutter...that must suck. xcoffeex