PDA

View Full Version : Who will be the next to add or bring back football?

Fresno St. Alum
February 7th, 2007, 05:30 PM
I say E.Tennessee St. since they already had team. As long as they come up with the money soon they should beat out the others.

TexasTerror
February 7th, 2007, 06:08 PM
xcoffeex

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18415

Already seems ETSU is already pretty much in the notion that they are bringing back football.

This poll doesn't really make much sense then... :twocents:

Fresno St. Alum
February 7th, 2007, 06:18 PM
UTSA already said they're bringing it back too, but who will be 1st and things can always be slowed or stopped. Did people like me pick on you in high school or something so now you have to be negative about everything. They have a guy like you on the D-II board called "the gift" he must be your brother. No one likes him.

TexasTerror
February 7th, 2007, 06:21 PM
UTSA already said they're bringing it back too, but who will be 1st and things can always be slowed or stopped. Did people like me pick on you in high school or something so now you have to be negative about everything. They have a guy like you on the D-II board called "the gift" he must be your brother. No one likes him.

UTSA has not said they are bringing it back. UTSA has actually not had football before...

Difference between UTSA and ETSU is that ETSU's President has already gotten the wheels rolling. ETSU has already committed to a time-frame in which things must be completed as they move towards getting football. Specific dates, votes passing and money raised. :twocents:

What's UTSA done? All I have seen is a study...:read:

Fresno St. Alum
February 7th, 2007, 06:29 PM
"UTSA released a report Wednesday from a national consulting firm retained to determine the feasibility of adding NCAA Division I football.

The report outlined steps that UTSA must take to enhance its 16-sport program, including a timeline that calls for the ball club to play its first football game in fall 2010." From the San Antonio Express News.

That looks like a step or a wheel in motion to me. I say the sky is blue, I'm sure you think its purple.

TexasTerror
February 7th, 2007, 06:36 PM
"UTSA released a report Wednesday from a national consulting firm retained to determine the feasibility of adding NCAA Division I football.

How many of these studies have been released over the years? UTSA has added womens' soccer and womens' golf over the last few years, but outside of the study which gives them a timeline, there really has not been much said, especially from the AD side of things like there has been at ETSU...

Fresno St. Alum
February 7th, 2007, 06:42 PM
San Antonio is a big city in a football state. That makes it more likely and not just a random name like Gonzaga adding football, both ETSU and UTSA have a 2010 timeline, lets see if both 1 or neither hit it.

TexasTerror
February 7th, 2007, 06:43 PM
San Antonio is a big city in a football state. That makes it more likely and not just a random name like Gonzaga adding football, both ETSU and UTSA have a 2010 timeline, lets see if both 1 or neither hit it.

Question...

Does 'Big Papa' in Austin like the little one in San Antonio adding football? And does UTSA getting FBS football or football in general hurt Texas State - San Marcos and their move (or intended move) to FBS?

Fresno St. Alum
February 7th, 2007, 06:53 PM
UTSA wouldn't be FBS no way. Ah poor texas St. would have to try harder to get players out of SA poor babies. Texas could care less about UTSA. Texas St. even if they moved up wouldn't get Texas talent. Texas worries about A&M, Baylor, Texas Tech, TCU, and Houston.

TexasTerror
February 7th, 2007, 07:12 PM
UTSA wouldn't be FBS no way. Ah poor texas St. would have to try harder to get players out of SA poor babies. Texas could care less about UTSA. Texas St. even if they moved up wouldn't get Texas talent. Texas worries about A&M, Baylor, Texas Tech, TCU, and Houston.

You check out UTSA discussion? They even have the SLC Commish discussing the possibility of them going FBS as they have made it rather clear that they would be interested in going FBS using FCS as a launching pad.

Texas should worry about UTSA. UTSA is in their system. While it would not hurt them directly, it would definitely ruffle up the system some, just see system politics, especially in the A&M and Texas system to understand that.

No school outside of UTEP, on the complete other side of the state, in the Texas system, have an FBS football squad. In fact, there are no Div I football squads in the UT System outside of the flagship and the El Paso component...

Football talk at UTSA makes Southland worry
Web Posted: 11/30/2006 09:31 PM CST
Jerry Briggs
Express-News Staff Writer

The proposed football program at UTSA already has stirred a discussion about the university's relationship and its future with the Southland Conference.

SLC commissioner Tom Burnett expressed concerns Thursday that UTSA eventually wants to split from the conference for another conference that sponsors Division I-A football.

If that is the case, Burnett said he doesn't know whether the SLC would welcome UTSA as a Division I-AA football member in its first season.

"I don't know what interest we would have in (a program) being in our conference a few years on their way to I-A," Burnett said.

Burnett's concerns surfaced a day after UTSA released a report by a national consulting firm that analyzed its ability to start a Division I football program.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17323

Fresno St. Alum
February 7th, 2007, 07:15 PM
So you say that UTSA would do a quick jump like FAU and FIU. Us and San Jose are the same system so what is the big deal about having more than one football team? Sounds like the UTSA wheels are in motion eh.

TexasTerror
February 7th, 2007, 07:21 PM
So you say that UTSA would do a quick jump like FAU and FIU. Us and San Jose are the same system so what is the big deal about having more than one football team? Sounds like the UTSA wheels are in motion eh.

We've seen how the F_U jumps have worked, eh?

You wouldn't understand unless you've lived here...

California and Texas have completely different system structures. California's system structure may soon be copied by the state of Texas because we have some California fella named Raymund Peredes running the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board...

Ask Prairie View A&M about the issues they've had in the A&M system and ask the Texas components about some of the bonehead decisions that have negatively impacted them for the benefit of the flagship...

Fresno St. Alum
February 7th, 2007, 07:32 PM
The F_U's are young still give them time. S.Florida looked good adding football got them in the Big east. Troy made a bowl soon after joining the Belt.

TexasTerror
February 7th, 2007, 07:38 PM
The F_U's are young still give them time. S.Florida looked good adding football got them in the Big east. Troy made a bowl soon after joining the Belt.

Oy...

Troy State was actually a very respectable FCS program...

You can't say the same for Florida International, an institution that could not even get a winning record while in FCS. They had a high of 5-6 in their first year, but playing four non-schollies or partial schollies will allow that. They were not ready for the jump and their 0-12 record last year justifies that even more...

Florida Atlantic? Okay, they had some success. Unlike their counterparts who are 15-41 in football, FAU is atleast near .500 with a 33-37 mark, which after a 6-14 mark in the first two years, made a Div I playoff run in year three to the semifinals. 9-3 during their transitional year (year #4) and were a decent 5-7 this year in their sixth year of existence.

FAU, not too bad. FIU, they made a mistake...

Fresno St. Alum
February 7th, 2007, 07:42 PM
I remember FAU in the playoffs their last year in I-AA. FIU didn't want to be in the ASC so they were willing to take 0-12 to help their other sports, I guess.

crunifan
February 7th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Wichita State has had a team before, in fact they still have a very nice 30,000 stadium that was renovated in 2002.

http://webs.wichita.edu/gs/graphics/cessnastad.jpg

Sly Fox
February 7th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Have you two ever heard of private messaging?

BearsCountry
February 7th, 2007, 08:16 PM
I wish it was the Shox.

Fresno St. Alum
February 8th, 2007, 01:00 AM
Wichita St. was D-IA and they dropped football in 1987

Fresno St. Alum
February 12th, 2007, 05:16 AM
No love for my poll and ETSU bringing back football

February 12th, 2007, 05:25 AM
No love for my poll and ETSU bringing back footballThere are many threads about ETSU bringing back football, not to mention a long article in the preview mag a couple of years ago. Check out the Chatty board for more.

gvilleapp
March 14th, 2007, 05:04 AM
Ran into a friend last night who is a ETSU alum and he reported they are well into raising the $30 million target they set for restarting football. $15 million for stadium and $15 for other expenses and an endowment. Looks like it will happen with the '10 season.

Where does everyone think the Bucs will land, SoCon, Big South, or OVC? SoCon admission may hinge on the league needing to add someone to replace us and/or GSU if we leave for FBS.

mcveyrl
March 14th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Ran into a friend last night who is a ETSU alum and he reported they are well into raising the $30 million target they set for restarting football. $15 million for stadium and $15 for other expenses and an endowment. Looks like it will happen with the '10 season.

Where does everyone think the Bucs will land, SoCon, Big South, or OVC? SoCon admission may hinge on the league needing to add someone to replace us and/or GSU if we leave for FBS.

I'm not sure. I would lean more towards the Big South or OVC because of their previous issues in the SoCon. Plus, I really think that they have suffered in other sports since moving to the A-Sun. They won the basketball conference convincingly, but haven't been able to win the tournament on their home floor. My prediction is some tough years for the other sports if they move to the SoCon.

BearsCountry
March 14th, 2007, 05:00 PM
I'm going to say OVC over the Big South bc of the Autobid and better geographical rivals.

Golden Eagle
March 14th, 2007, 05:53 PM
The OVC would be glad to have them.

Polywog
March 14th, 2007, 06:41 PM
The Great West may still be looking for teams! xsmiley_wix

BEAR
March 14th, 2007, 08:43 PM
.........I was wondering when the Sam Houston crowd was going to add a vote for SFA.....xwhistlex xnodx xlolx

(Oh the pure hatred between the two..xeekx )

Sly Fox
March 14th, 2007, 09:28 PM
The OVC doesn't have much better geographical rivals than the Big South. And by 2010, the Big South may have that auto bid if some things go down the way we hope.

ChooChoo
March 14th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Now Kennesaw State wants to throw their hat into the ring...
Two years into Division I play, pigskin on Owls horizon
By David Brandt
MDJ Assistant News Editor
KENNESAW - Several universities across the country often have their names immediately associated with their athletic teams.
Especially football.
Especially in Georgia.
Especially when it comes to UGA.
In the coming years, Kennesaw State University hopes to share the Georgia college football limelight with similar symmetry between its name and what officials hope will become a successful football program, often considered a right of passage for most NCAA Division I schools. KSU entered Division I in its 2005-06 year."
Here's the rest of the article. It also mentions Georgia State's current campaign to start a program, and...the AD's hope of joining (I kid you NOT)the Big East.
http://www.mdjonline.com/articles/2007/03/11/268/10250755.txt

Fresno St. Alum
March 15th, 2007, 06:35 PM
I'd like to see ETSU and SIU-Edwardsville in the OVC. 10 FB 12 for B-ball. Since Morehead St. plays in the PL

saluki_in_ohio
March 15th, 2007, 06:49 PM
I would like to see Wichita State bring back football, and we can restore the Missouri Valley Conference name to the Gateway.

BearsCountry
March 15th, 2007, 07:25 PM
I would like to see Wichita State bring back football, and we can restore the Missouri Valley Conference name to the Gateway.

Amen to that.

MplsBison
March 15th, 2007, 07:33 PM
NKU sounds more attractive than SIUE, to me, in regards to OVC expansion.

New 8k arena will be nice.

ETSU to the OVC makes sense.

Fresno St. Alum
March 16th, 2007, 12:00 AM
Yes, NKU does but they haven't started the move up process yet. OVC can't add someone that isn't there. They could wait for them though.

MoreheadEagle
March 16th, 2007, 09:50 AM
NKU and ETSU would be great additions to the OVC. The OVC should drop their football requirement to allow both teams in and then when ETSU brings back football there will be a conference waiting on them. Of course the OVC isn't expanding now or looking to expand next season so Morehead needs to come back into the fold for a 10-team conference in all sports.

MplsBison
March 16th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Any chance of a Morehead football upgrade?

Fresno St. Alum
March 16th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Why does the OVC have a football requirement. Say they add 2 w/fb to get back to 12. There would be 11 for FB and 12 for B-ball. I'd think that a 10 fb 12 bb would be easier to schedule.

MoreheadEagle
March 20th, 2007, 12:01 AM
Any chance of a Morehead football upgrade?

I've heard rumors of "rumblings" and more rumors. We're fixing up our athletics facilities with Jayne Stadium being the jewel in the crown of the upgrades but it remains to be seen if we're getting schollies or have to continue in the PFL. I'd rather be in the OVC but the PFL is nice too.

rufus
March 20th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Please shoot me if the CAA has to kick out a successful affiliate like UMass to make room for Georgia State. Should it ever come to this, I would hope that JMU will already have one foot out the door.

Za-KEE-uS
March 30th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Well since you put 2 SLC teams on there, it looks like Texas A&M CC (http://southland.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/012207aab.html)Might get there first Lamar UTSA. They are just reviewing, but I think it'll happen

Fresno St. Alum
March 31st, 2007, 02:24 AM
Well they got some extra dollars from the NCAA tournament to help with it.

OB55
March 31st, 2007, 06:27 AM
I would like to see The University of Phoenix add football. What would they be called, The Virtuals, The Bytes,..........I know, I know, dumb. :)

MarkCCU
March 31st, 2007, 07:10 AM
I would like to see The University of Phoenix add football. What would they be called, The Virtuals, The Bytes,..........I know, I know, dumb. :)

University of Phoenix online? They'd be the Bytes....

MarkCCU
March 31st, 2007, 07:11 AM
I think Edward Waters should get rid of thier football program. It'd save them money...

texcap
March 31st, 2007, 11:53 PM

Heck, they already have one of the best stadiums in the world! (http://www.azcardinalsstadium.com/). Of course it is just naming rights. xsmiley_wix

Fresno St. Alum
April 1st, 2007, 04:00 AM
I remember Wwhen DeVry had a basketball team and Troy beat them 258-141. It was in 1992. Phoenix would have their asses handed to them in football and basketball.

McTailGator
April 1st, 2007, 09:21 AM

The report outlined steps that UTSA must take to enhance its 16-sport program, including a timeline that calls for the ball club to play its first football game in fall 2010." From the San Antonio Express News.

That looks like a step or a wheel in motion to me. I say the sky is blue, I'm sure you think its purple.

I really don't see UTSA having a FB team by 2010. That is only 4 seasons away. It took Southeastern La. longer to do it and they already had an infustructure inplace due to the fact they had a program in the past.

UTSA has NEVER had a football program ever.

I think Texas A&M-Corpus Christi will beat them to it and start a program in 2011 0r 2012.

BUT, I see Lamar playing in the SLC by 2010. They only need about $4 more million and their President (McNeese Alumn) said they are in.
xcoffeex

appfan2008
April 1st, 2007, 01:29 PM
I really don't see UTSA having a FB team by 2010. That is only 4 seasons away. It took Southeastern La. longer to do it and they already had an infustructure inplace due to the fact they had a program in the past.

UTSA has NEVER had a football program ever.

I think Texas A&M-Corpus Christi will beat them to it and start a program in 2011 0r 2012.

BUT, I see Lamar playing in the SLC by 2010. They only need about $4 more million and their President (McNeese Alumn) said they are in.
xcoffeex
Sounds like texas is looking to add a number of new football schools which is a good thing

GeauxColonels
April 1st, 2007, 08:43 PM
Well since you put 2 SLC teams on there, it looks like Texas A&M CC (http://southland.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/012207aab.html)Might get there first Lamar UTSA. They are just reviewing, but I think it'll happen
Personally, I'm curious to see how the program at Texas A&M - Kingsville might be affected by the start of a program in Corpus Christie. They usually have a great D-II program and the Islanders may be able to attract several players that may have gone to play for the Javelinas.