PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 10-2

JALMOND
October 2nd, 2017, 09:32 PM
Whew, we finally can put September behind us and for most of the conference, that is a relief. Topsy-turvy, unsure of who is good and who is not so good. Things have to begin to get clear sometime. Maybe this weekend will clear up more things. Here are this week's power rankings for the conference (last week in parenthesis). Should be some good discussion this time around.

1. Weber State (1)---Last week won at Montana State 25-17, this week bye---The Wildcats gain an impressive road win last week, cementing their top spot and giving them confidence as they head in to the bye week. Hopefully it does not slow them down as nothing else seems to slow them.

2. Eastern Washington (3)---Last week beat Sacramento State at home 52-31, this week at UC-Davis---The Eagles gave one of the up and comers a rude awakening last week and seem to have righted the ship. They get another up and comer this week.

3. Northern Arizona (4)---Last week beat Northern Colorado at home 48-20, this week Illinois State (Mo Valley) at home---Still unsure of how good this Lumberjacks team is, even with two good wins to start. They get to step out of conference and play a strong Missouri Valley team.

4. Montana (5)---Last week won at Portland State 45-33, this week at Idaho State---The Grizzlies took advantage of several mistakes and escaped with a convincing win on the road. They will stay on the road this weekend against another conference foe.

5. Montana State (2)---Last week lost to Weber State at home 25-17, this week Portland State at home---In a good showdown between two of the top teams in the conference, the Bobcats came up just short of a win at home. They are feeling good, but they need to recover to get their first home win.

6. Sacramento State (7)---Last week lost at Eastern Washington 52-31, this week bye---The Hornets were hoping to make a name for themselves by playing one of the big boys on the road, but it still was the same old story. Still an impressive start as they head in to the bye week.

7. UC-Davis (11)---Last week beat North Dakota at home 48-24, this week Eastern Washington at home---The Aggies became the latest team to hammer hapless North Dakota in the conference. Is it a sign of good times? They get a strong test this weekend.

8. Southern Utah (8)---Last week bye, this week Cal Poly at home---Recovering from the sting they felt the last time they played, the Thunderbirds had to regroup and therefore the bye came at a good time. They come out of it with a good test this weekend.

9. North Dakota (6)---Last week lost at UC-Davis 48-24, this week Northern Colorado at home---It seems everyone is picking on the injured Hawks team and they just can't seem to catch a break. They head home this weekend just hoping for something good to happen.

10. Idaho State (10)---Last week beat Cal Poly at home 38-34, this week Montana at home---The Bengals got a good win last week to keep the good feelings alive. However, they will have to be good this weekend in order to get a tough home conference win.

11. Northern Colorado (9)---Last week lost at Northern Arizona 48-20, this week at North Dakota---The Bears could not get anything going last week and arrived on the short end. They get their chance this weekend to pile on North Dakota and get a good looking win.

12. Portland State (12)---Last week lost to Montana at home 45-33, this week at Montana State---The Vikings woes don't look like they are going to get any better as they lost at home to one Montana team, now go on the road to face the other Montana team. Yikes!

13. Cal Poly (13)---Last week lost at Idaho State 38-34, this week at Southern Utah---The Mustangs had a lead into the fourth quarter on the road, yet still folded up shop and got hit with a loss. They wish things would get easier but their brutal schedule will not allow that.

RECAP: 1, then 2-5 bunched up, 6-11 a step behind, 12-13 in back.

tomq04
October 3rd, 2017, 12:30 AM
After giving the team the eyeball test last weekend in Cheney and the watching the 2nd half against Montana, EWU is back and playing at nearly the same level as last year. I'm excited to see how UC-Davis stacks up, but I think the sleeping giant has awoke...look out gang.

geaux_sioux
October 3rd, 2017, 12:54 AM
Whew, we finally can put September behind us and for most of the conference, that is a relief. Topsy-turvy, unsure of who is good and who is not so good. Things have to begin to get clear sometime. Maybe this weekend will clear up more things. Here are this week's power rankings for the conference (last week in parenthesis). Should be some good discussion this time around.

1. Weber State (1)---Last week won at Montana State 25-17, this week bye---The Wildcats gain an impressive road win last week, cementing their top spot and giving them confidence as they head in to the bye week. Hopefully it does not slow them down as nothing else seems to slow them.

2. Eastern Washington (3)---Last week beat Sacramento State at home 52-31, this week at UC-Davis---The Eagles gave one of the up and comers a rude awakening last week and seem to have righted the ship. They get another up and comer this week.

3. Northern Arizona (4)---Last week beat Northern Colorado at home 48-20, this week Illinois State (Mo Valley) at home---Still unsure of how good this Lumberjacks team is, even with two good wins to start. They get to step out of conference and play a strong Missouri Valley team.

4. Montana (5)---Last week won at Portland State 45-33, this week at Idaho State---The Grizzlies took advantage of several mistakes and escaped with a convincing win on the road. They will stay on the road this weekend against another conference foe.

5. Montana State (2)---Last week lost to Weber State at home 25-17, this week Portland State at home---In a good showdown between two of the top teams in the conference, the Bobcats came up just short of a win at home. They are feeling good, but they need to recover to get their first home win.

6. Sacramento State (7)---Last week lost at Eastern Washington 52-31, this week bye---The Hornets were hoping to make a name for themselves by playing one of the big boys on the road, but it still was the same old story. Still an impressive start as they head in to the bye week.

7. UC-Davis (11)---Last week beat North Dakota at home 48-24, this week Eastern Washington at home---The Aggies became the latest team to hammer hapless North Dakota in the conference. Is it a sign of good times? They get a strong test this weekend.

8. Southern Utah (8)---Last week bye, this week Cal Poly at home---Recovering from the sting they felt the last time they played, the Thunderbirds had to regroup and therefore the bye came at a good time. They come out of it with a good test this weekend.

9. North Dakota (6)---Last week lost at UC-Davis 48-24, this week Northern Colorado at home---It seems everyone is picking on the injured Hawks team and they just can't seem to catch a break. They head home this weekend just hoping for something good to happen.

10. Idaho State (10)---Last week beat Cal Poly at home 38-34, this week Montana at home---The Bengals got a good win last week to keep the good feelings alive. However, they will have to be good this weekend in order to get a tough home conference win.

11. Northern Colorado (9)---Last week lost at Northern Arizona 48-20, this week at North Dakota---The Bears could not get anything going last week and arrived on the short end. They get their chance this weekend to pile on North Dakota and get a good looking win.

12. Portland State (12)---Last week lost to Montana at home 45-33, this week at Montana State---The Vikings woes don't look like they are going to get any better as they lost at home to one Montana team, now go on the road to face the other Montana team. Yikes!

13. Cal Poly (13)---Last week lost at Idaho State 38-34, this week at Southern Utah---The Mustangs had a lead into the fourth quarter on the road, yet still folded up shop and got hit with a loss. They wish things would get easier but their brutal schedule will not allow that.

RECAP: 1, then 2-5 bunched up, 6-11 a step behind, 12-13 in back.
#9 is generous to say the least. Our roster is straight out of an episode of the walking dead. I expect to lose every game until I see something drastically different.

veinup
October 3rd, 2017, 08:15 AM
After giving the team the eyeball test last weekend in Cheney and the watching the 2nd half against Montana, EWU is back and playing at nearly the same level as last year. I'm excited to see how UC-Davis stacks up, but I think the sleeping giant has awoke...look out gang.

great.. just great. xholyxxholyxxholyx

Iridebikes
October 3rd, 2017, 08:35 AM

I tend to agree with you. Everyone knew we had a ton of talent returning but with so many changes on the coaching staff there were a some unknowns. IMO it looks like the coaching staff is catching up with the athletes and the horse's are being unleashed. Wide receivers, the one area where we had to restock, have started to perform as well. Back to the situation where there are a ton of weapons for the QB to use. Looking forward to the game with UCD. Their offense has been playing well and I want to see how our defense will hold up. After that MSU and Weber. Good conference play this year.

nevadagriz
October 3rd, 2017, 09:25 AM
I believe that Isu should be higher. Other than that, this conference is a mess lol.
Very interesting few weeks coming up.
Shout out to WSU having a great season, and EWU looks great.

kalm
October 3rd, 2017, 09:34 AM
I believe that Isu should be higher. Other than that, this conference is a mess lol.
Very interesting few weeks coming up.
Shout out to WSU having a great season, and EWU looks great.

Agreed. The winner of this week's game in Pokey has a path to the playoffs. The Nevada win (regardless of how much the Pack sucks) is a nice feather in the cap.

wapiti
October 3rd, 2017, 10:24 AM
North Dakota at 9 seems a bit high to me. Until UND can recover from injuries I would put them at 12. Especially after getting beat down by two conference foes.

nevadagriz
October 3rd, 2017, 12:23 PM
North Dakota at 9 seems a bit high to me. Until UND can recover from injuries I would put them at 12. Especially after getting beat down by two conference foes.
I feel bad for UND never seen a BSC team hurt by sooo many injuries.
What could have been!

SochorField
October 3rd, 2017, 01:00 PM
Nervous about EWU....based on how we ***** the bed in Ogden. EWU @ Davis might be one of those whoever-has-the-ball-last games.
Hopefully the home crowd puts Davis over the top (students in town for the second week now).
Looking forward to a good game.

I too feel for UND, they were pretty hapless and its not really a fair fight at this point. They should be ranked below Portland-State.

BadlandsGrizFan
October 3rd, 2017, 01:18 PM
I tend to agree with you. Everyone knew we had a ton of talent returning but with so many changes on the coaching staff there were a some unknowns. IMO it looks like the coaching staff is catching up with the athletes and the horse's are being unleashed. Wide receivers, the one area where we had to restock, have started to perform as well. Back to the situation where there are a ton of weapons for the QB to use. Looking forward to the game with UCD. Their offense has been playing well and I want to see how our defense will hold up. After that MSU and Weber. Good conference play this year.

The real sleeping giant has been asleep now for about 5 years..dont kid yourself.

BadlandsGrizFan
October 3rd, 2017, 01:21 PM
Nervous about EWU....based on how we ***** the bed in Ogden. EWU @ Davis might be one of those whoever-has-the-ball-last games.
Hopefully the home crowd puts Davis over the top (students in town for the second week now).
Looking forward to a good game.

I too feel for UND, they were pretty hapless and its not really a fair fight at this point. They should be ranked below Portland-State.

They spent too much time in the weight room and getting their heads bigger than ever.....at least their starting QBs leg didnt get destroyed.

Iridebikes
October 3rd, 2017, 04:33 PM
The real sleeping giant has been asleep now for about 5 years..dont kid yourself.

Blah, Blah, Blah-blah-blah. UM will return sometime but excuse me if I don't hold my breath while waiting.

Silenoz
October 3rd, 2017, 05:39 PM
Blah, Blah, Blah-blah-blah. UM will return sometime but excuse me if I don't hold my breath while waiting.

Well it's pretty silly to throw "sleeping giant" around when you were ****ty for all of two games. Plus it's not like Montana or Suc State (or anyone else in the Big Sky) play defense so I wouldn't get overly excited yet

I Bleed Purple
October 3rd, 2017, 07:55 PM
Weber plays defense.