PDA

View Full Version : DSU gets a big LB transfer

YoUDeeMan
February 7th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Lavan continues to get transfers that can provide immediate help. Nice size on this LB.

Will the Hornets win the MEAC this year? :eek: :thumbsup:

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070207/SPORTS08/702070366/1002/SPORTS

89Hen
February 7th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Will the Hornets win the MEAC this year?
No. They will choke.

henfan
February 8th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Lavan has really turned a corner with this team in that DSU is finally beginning to do real recruiting of high school seniors, rather than relying so heavily on the JUCO & transfer route, as his two recent predecessors did. It's taken Lavan a couple of years to clean up the mess left by McKenzie and Blacknall (and Delauder's previous DSU admin!), but DSU is definitely headed in the right direction.

No question they'll challenge for the MEAC title this season, barring a rash of injuries to key players. The Hornets will have 2 tough conference road games against HU and SCSU, however. My guess is they'll be pre-season #2 behind Hampton; possibly #3 behind SCSU.

YoUDeeMan
February 8th, 2007, 08:45 AM
No question they'll challenge for the MEAC title this season, barring a rash of injuries to key players. The Hornets will have 2 tough conference road games against HU and SCSU, however. My guess is they'll be pre-season #2 behind Hampton; possibly #3 behind SCSU.

You have to like the attitude of Headan, the new LB:

"Just to get the opportunity to blitz again is going to be fun," said Headen, who is friends with former Hornets players Stephon Hopkins and Tyrone Kelly, who also attended Renaissance. "I want to win. I felt this was the best chance to win a championship. We know we'll win it [Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference]."

He's got confidence. Now, if the Hornets can back it up.....:eyebrow:

henfan
February 8th, 2007, 09:12 AM
What's prevented DSU from winning conference championships over the last three season has been lack of depth caused by key injuries. Depth takes time to develop and Lavan has only had, really, two recruiting classes. The talent level wasn't quite there when Lavan arrived but he's quickly gotten it up to snuff for MEAC play.

IMO, DSU is still a good 2 years away from being a solid FCS program and one that can regulary win MEAC titles. Lavan's building a good foundation.

Bulldog87
February 8th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Good job DSU but SCSU will take the MEAC for the next few years. I can see us winning a playoff game or two if the coaching staff can get things right.