PDA

View Full Version : SHSU Commitments

TexasTerror
February 7th, 2007, 09:13 AM
SHSU fans and I will do what we can to post updates as they occur, or you can just check out this site...

http://www.gobearkats.com/football/signings.html

SHSU will be signing roughly 20 players today...

Already in the fold with HS commitments to be announced later...transfers and JUCOs...

JORDAN BOWERSOX OL 6-3 290 Wichita KS/Coffeyville CC
CHRIS BROWN DE 6-3 218 Texarkana/Texas HS/Texas
RYAN GLOSTON DE 6-2 275 Houston/Westside HS/Blinn College
OLUFEMI OGUNDARE RB 5-8 200 Houston/Bellaire HS/Eastern Michigan
TREY PAYNE WR 5-9 170 LaMarque/LaMarque HS/ Baylor
DERRICK RAYMER Punter 6-1 215 Goodland KS/ Garden City CC
FRANK SIMON LB 5-11 225 Chickasha, OK/ Northeastern Oklahoma

jstate83
February 7th, 2007, 09:22 AM
So everyone of the players that is going to be signed will hit the field this fall.

No academic issues or transfer problems with the juco's that didn't get the job done comming out of highschool right?:rolleyes:

Peems
February 7th, 2007, 09:52 AM
SHSU fans and I will do what we can to post updates as they occur, or you can just check out this site...

http://www.gobearkats.com/football/signings.html

SHSU will be signing roughly 20 players today...

Already in the fold with HS commitments to be announced later...transfers and JUCOs...

JORDAN BOWERSOX OL 6-3 290 Wichita KS/Coffeyville CC
CHRIS BROWN DE 6-3 218 Texarkana/Texas HS/Texas
RYAN GLOSTON DE 6-2 275 Houston/Westside HS/Blinn College
OLUFEMI OGUNDARE RB 5-8 200 Houston/Bellaire HS/Eastern Michigan
TREY PAYNE WR 5-9 170 LaMarque/LaMarque HS/ Baylor
DERRICK RAYMER Punter 6-1 215 Goodland KS/ Garden City CC
FRANK SIMON LB 5-11 225 Chickasha, OK/ Northeastern Oklahoma

is bomar going to be getting one of your scholarships?

TexasTerror
February 7th, 2007, 09:56 AM
So everyone of the players that is going to be signed will hit the field this fall.

No academic issues or transfer problems with the juco's that didn't get the job done comming out of highschool right?:rolleyes:

JState83...

All these guys are already on campus, taking classes and will partake in spring drills. They have already qualified academically which has allowed their transfer papers to go through and let them partake in classes and eventually spring drills.

These are these HS players who start losing offers from FBS because they can't cut it academically...though we may get a few of those later, but doubtful considering..."The athletic department of SHSU is so steeped in respect for the grade point average that we don’t even whine when one of the other conference schools gets the tailback with lightening speed, infallible instincts and NFL size. If he isn’t a serious student, we don’t need him. For the serious scholar-athlete, we have Chris Thompson." (Credit: Huntsville Item).

SHSU not only has won the SLC Commish Cup for all-around sports success, SHSU leads the SLC in GPA and Commish Honor Roll selections. This is an athletic department serious about academics. Just ask the SLC All-Academic basketball squad last year. SHSU had five of the ten players selected, while finishing 2nd in conference. Four of those five are back this year. Should be another slam dunk! :hurray:

is bomar going to be getting one of your scholarships?

Bomar was already on the roster last year...

Peems
February 7th, 2007, 09:58 AM
JState83...

All these guys are already on campus, taking classes and will partake in spring drills. They have already qualified academically which has allowed their transfer papers to go through and let them partake in classes and eventually spring drills.

These are these HS players who start losing offers from FBS because they can't cut it academically...though we may get a few of those later, but doubtful considering..."The athletic department of SHSU is so steeped in respect for the grade point average that we don’t even whine when one of the other conference schools gets the tailback with lightening speed, infallible instincts and NFL size. If he isn’t a serious student, we don’t need him. For the serious scholar-athlete, we have Chris Thompson." (Credit: Huntsville Item).

SHSU not only has won the SLC Commish Cup for all-around sports success, SHSU leads the SLC in GPA and Commish Honor Roll selections. This is an athletic department serious about academics. Just ask the SLC All-Academic basketball squad last year. SHSU had five of the ten players selected, while finishing 2nd in conference. Four of those five are back this year. Should be another slam dunk! :hurray:

i understand but in the case of Quinn at UM. he was on the team, enrolled in classes, but did not have a scholarship yet. so i guess my question is...Did Bomar have a scholarship when he joined the team last year or will he be receiving one of the scholarships for this year?

TexasTerror
February 7th, 2007, 10:01 AM
i understand but in the case of Quinn at UM. he was on the team, enrolled in classes, but did not have a scholarship yet. so i guess my question is...Did Bomar have a scholarship when he joined the team last year or will he be receiving one of the scholarships for this year?

Not sure on that front, but Bomar will be getting a scholarship this year. He may not show up on any of our signing/recruiting lists because he was on the team last year and an active participant at that...outside of playing on the field...

jstate83
February 7th, 2007, 10:06 AM
JState83...

Well see. ;)
I'm gonna make sure I focus on the TEXAS "Ivy League" school. xlolx

Panther88
February 7th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Well see. ;)
I'm gonna make sure I focus on the TEXAS "Ivy League" school. xlolx

You may wanna' come on down 290 J83. lol There's nothing on IH45 except Dallas and Willis/Conroe/The Woodlands/Houston. Everything in between is a waste. lolxlolx :nod:

Spooney-Cat
February 7th, 2007, 02:04 PM
You may wanna' come on down 290 J83. lol There's nothing on IH45 except Dallas and Willis/Conroe/The Woodlands/Houston. Everything in between is a waste. lolxlolx :nod:

Hah, hilarious! :hurray:

TexasTerror
February 7th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Kats fill the needs on special teams, defensive line and get two QBs to fill the depth once we graduate a few QBs this coming year...

Complete Bearkat Football Signing List
Jordan Bowersox OL 6-3 290 Tr Wichita, KS / Heights HS (Coffeyville CC)
Jeremy Butcher Athlete 5-11 188 HS Missouri City / Marshall HS
Chris Brown DE 6-3 218 Tr Texarkana / Texas HS (Texas)
Calvin Caad CB 6-0 190 HS Seguin / Seguin HS
Chris Crockett OT 6-4 275 HS Converse / Judson HS
Kash David LB 6-3 225 HS Georgetown / Georgetown HS
Edward Decambre DE 6-3 230 Hs Austin / Austin HS
Ryan Gloston DE 6-2 275 Tr Houston / Westside HS (Blinn JC)
Daniel Glover TE 6-2 225 HS Texarkana / Texas HS
Andrew Lester DT 6-1 285 HS Spring / Klein Oak
Olufemi Ogundare RB 5-8 200 Tr Houston / Bellair HS (Eastern Michigan)
Trey Payne WR 5-9 170 Tr LaMarque / LaMarque HS (Baylor)
Derrick Raymer P 6-1 215 Tr Goodland, KS / Goodland HS (Garden City CC)
Frank Simon LB 5-11 225 Tr Chickasha, OK / Chickasha HS (Northeast Oklahoma)
Isaiah Sneed RB 5-11 192 HS Seguin / Seguin HS
Randy Stewart DB 5-11 192 HS Magnolia / Magnolia HS
Travis Watson OL 6-4 290 HS Norman, OK / North HS
Taylor Weidman QB 6-2 180 HS Sagniaw / Boswell HS
Jeff Welch QB 5-11 185 HS Cypress / Cypress Falls HS
Chris Williams WR 6-2 185 HS Alvin / Alvin HS

http://bearkats.shsu.edu/football/signings.html

blackfordpu
February 7th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Kats fill the needs on special teams, defensive line and get two QBs to fill the depth once we graduate a few QBs this coming year...

Complete Bearkat Football Signing List
Jordan Bowersox OL 6-3 290 Tr Wichita, KS / Heights HS (Coffeyville CC)
Jeremy Butcher Athlete 5-11 188 HS Missouri City / Marshall HS
Chris Brown DE 6-3 218 Tr Texarkana / Texas HS (Texas)
Calvin Caad CB 6-0 190 HS Seguin / Seguin HS
Chris Crockett OT 6-4 275 HS Converse / Judson HS
Kash David LB 6-3 225 HS Georgetown / Georgetown HS
Edward Decambre DE 6-3 230 Hs Austin / Austin HS
Ryan Gloston DE 6-2 275 Tr Houston / Westside HS (Blinn JC)
Daniel Glover TE 6-2 225 HS Texarkana / Texas HS
Andrew Lester DT 6-1 285 HS Spring / Klein Oak
Olufemi Ogundare RB 5-8 200 Tr Houston / Bellair HS (Eastern Michigan)
Trey Payne WR 5-9 170 Tr LaMarque / LaMarque HS (Baylor)
Derrick Raymer P 6-1 215 Tr Goodland, KS / Goodland HS (Garden City CC)
Frank Simon LB 5-11 225 Tr Chickasha, OK / Chickasha HS (Northeast Oklahoma)
Isaiah Sneed RB 5-11 192 HS Seguin / Seguin HS
Randy Stewart DB 5-11 192 HS Magnolia / Magnolia HS
Travis Watson OL 6-4 290 HS Norman, OK / North HS
Taylor Weidman QB 6-2 180 HS Sagniaw / Boswell HS
Jeff Welch QB 5-11 185 HS Cypress / Cypress Falls HS
Chris Williams WR 6-2 185 HS Alvin / Alvin HS

http://bearkats.shsu.edu/football/signings.html

From what I hear, this kid was a steal!:hurray:

TexasTerror
February 7th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Kats have four players from Oklahoma and Kansas...

Kats haven't had too many players from outside of state. Quite a few kids from OK and KS the last two years. Good to see more out of state recruiting...

TexasTerror
February 8th, 2007, 07:30 AM
From the hometown fishwrap...

Bearkats ink 20 new football prospects

SHSU adds seven transfers, 13 high school players
Cody Stark
Assistant Sports Editor

The Sam Houston State football team came away with quite a haul after Wednesday’s national signing day.

The Bearkats reloaded with 20 new players, seven transfers and 13 high school seniors. Last season, SHSU only had room for 12 recruits, but with a larger graduating class in 2006, the numbers were up this time around.

SHSU head coach Todd Whitten said earlier in the week that the 2007 class would have a better mix of prospects on both sides of the ball. After his first season in 2005, the Bearkats signed only 12 players, eight of which came on the defensive side including five in the secondary.

http://www.itemonline.com/sports/local_story_039004737.html?keyword=secondarystory

blackfordpu
February 8th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Whitten sounds very pleased and optimistic about his class. I have to say, it is pretty impressive. We'll see how it comes together on the field.

Panther88
February 8th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Why is SHSU playing 2 div II schools this fall? :confused:

W/ all the talent you guys have, surely you could've done better than this. I think PV has an open date on Sep 15th or 22nd (not really sure yet). :read:

TexasTerror
February 8th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Whitten sounds very pleased and optimistic about his class. I have to say, it is pretty impressive. We'll see how it comes together on the field.

I think we're all optimistic about it. You got Bomar for a good two years and I think that helped get the Kats a few players who might not normally sign with SHSU. We've definitely got a bit of publicity and I think the Kats have shown they can adapt the offense based on what kind of players we have, whether ir running or receiving. Granted, getting quality receivers has never been a problem, but it doesn't hurt...

blackfordpu
February 8th, 2007, 09:21 PM
I think we're all optimistic about it. You got Bomar for a good two years and I think that helped get the Kats a few players who might not normally sign with SHSU. We've definitely got a bit of publicity and I think the Kats have shown they can adapt the offense based on what kind of players we have, whether ir running or receiving. Granted, getting quality receivers has never been a problem, but it doesn't hurt...

You mean "We" don't you? :rotateh: ;)