PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Academic Honor Roll

DFW HOYA
February 7th, 2007, 06:10 AM
This was announced over the weekend but I didn't see it posted.

http://patriotleague.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/020207aaa.html

To qualify, the student-athlete must have earned a 3.2 or better grade average from the fall semester. The number by school:

Georgetown (32)
Bucknell (18)
Holy Cross (16)
Fordham (14)
Lehigh (11)
Colgate (8)
Lafayette (7)

Fordham
February 7th, 2007, 08:06 AM
wow, I didn't realize Georgetown was so easy.

(j/k, dfw - kudos on some great results there.)

Pard4Life
February 7th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Wow that's an unusually poor showing for us...

Lehigh Football Nation
February 7th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Don't look now P4L, Hillside Avenue is going to come over here from the Lehigh Voy board and say how Lafayette is sacrificing academics to have a champion football team... :rolleyes:

cosmo here
February 7th, 2007, 11:03 AM
This was announced over the weekend but I didn't see it posted.

http://patriotleague.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/020207aaa.html

To qualify, the student-athlete must have earned a 3.2 or better grade average from the fall semester.

Also to qualify you need to earn a letter. As qualifications to letter differ by school, this isn't exactly "apples to apples" as far as how the team GPA stacks up. Traditionally Bucknell letters just about everybody, I would guess Kelly did something like that at Georgetown also. Not a criticism, just constructive information.

Pard94
February 7th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Don't look now P4L, Hillside Avenue is going to come over here from the Lehigh Voy board and say how Lafayette is sacrificing academics to have a champion football team... :rolleyes:

Pardon my French but that guy is a complete putz.

ngineer
February 7th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Also to qualify you need to earn a letter. As qualifications to letter differ by school, this isn't exactly "apples to apples" as far as how the team GPA stacks up. Traditionally Bucknell letters just about everybody, I would guess Kelly did something like that at Georgetown also. Not a criticism, just constructive information.

Yes, I was going to point that out. Georgetown and Bucknell were playing a lot of 'youngsters' getting letters. I know Tavani doesn't play very many freshman (which IMO is good) unless they show they can really do something and handle the academics. When I played, we had freshman football which I still think is a better idea. Gives students a year to transition into balancing the academics and the time athletics require.
That being said, Big Kudos to the Bulldogs and Bison, because regardless of the number of 'youngins' playing, they're doing well in the classroom:thumbsup:

letsgopards04
February 7th, 2007, 03:04 PM
wow, I didn't realize Georgetown was so easy.

(j/k, dfw - kudos on some great results there.)

Based on the basketball team, I would the academic requirements for athletes may be a tad less than the general population. (ie Allen Iverson)

Fordham
February 7th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Whoa <distancing myself from above commentary>. While they may have made some exceptions for their marquee sport, I don't think there is anything at all that shows that G-town has done anything whatsoever to accomodate their football (or other athletic teams) players in any similar fashion.

LBPop
February 7th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Whoa <distancing myself from above commentary>. While they may have made some exceptions for their marquee sport, I don't think there is anything at all that shows that G-town has done anything whatsoever to accomodate their football (or other athletic teams) players in any similar fashion.

I have no idea how Coach Kelly awarded letters this season, but I can tell you that Coach Benson before him was pretty liberal. So the increase at Georgetown is a pleasant surprise. I can tell you that for a while now Georgetown has been recruiting many of the same kids that the rest of the PL has been recruiting...just not as successfully. How that relates to the academic honor roll is more than I can figure out.

I think I can say this with some confidence. There are a bunch of good students taking the field each Saturday representing the PL schools. :hurray:

Georgetown may have had the most with a 3.2, but maybe Lafayette is loaded with a bunch of 3.1s. Who knows...who cares?

DFW HOYA
February 7th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Based on the basketball team, I would the academic requirements for athletes may be a tad less than the general population. (ie Allen Iverson)

Not much of an argument when you're going back to, say, 1994?

For the record, Allen Iverson qualified per the NCAA guidelines well before his off the court issues--he was never a Prop 48 case.

letsgopards04
February 8th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Yes I'm sure he did but the average person who will not bring millions of dollars to the school has to get top 10% SAT scores to have a decent shot of getting in. But this is the Patriot League and you should be proud of having this accomplishment. After all, the academic floor for the PL is said to be higher than the Ivies.

bison137
February 8th, 2007, 04:24 PM

I don't have a list of anyone's lettermen, but I can comment on the 18 Bucknell players on the list. Ten were full-time starters, two were part-time starters, one was the starting QB the year before and missed most of this year with an injury, two others were reserves who saw regular playing time, and the final three were seniors who didn't play much.

As I mentioned, I don't have a list of lettermen, but if "just about everyone" at BU was given a letter it defies all the odds that there are no freshmen, sophomores, or juniors who didn't see regular playing time on the list. There were about 48 players in this category and not one made the honor roll. So either these 48 players who didn't normally play were, against all odds, MUCH worse academically than the starters, where almost 50% were on this list, or else there were about 48 players who did not letter (out of 93).

Realistically speaking it's a no-brainer that either half the team didn't letter or else that to qualify for the PL academic honor roll it takes more than just a letter.

cosmo here
February 8th, 2007, 04:50 PM
I don't have a list of anyone's lettermen, but I can comment on the 18 Bucknell players on the list. Ten were full-time starters, two were part-time starters, one was the starting QB the year before and missed most of this year with an injury, two others were reserves who saw regular playing time, and the final three were seniors who didn't play much.

Thanks for looking into this, I amend my previous statement :thumbsup:

LBPop
February 9th, 2007, 03:24 PM
At the risk of causing "Paralysis by Analysis", here's what I see from Georgetown's List:
7 from the list started at least two games this season (5 were consistent starters when healthy)
16 from the list were listed either #1 or #2 on the depth chart for the last game of the season
7 from the list were freshmenI don't know what it took to earn a letter from Georgetown this season, but I do have a sense of what it took to earn a 3.2. I prefer to applaud the fact that 107 bleepin' football players from a 7 team Division I conference got a 3.2 or better. And at these schools, they EARNED that 3.2. :hurray:

ngineer
February 9th, 2007, 10:49 PM
At the risk of causing "Paralysis by Analysis", here's what I see from Georgetown's List:
7 from the list started at least two games this season (5 were consistent starters when healthy)
16 from the list were listed either #1 or #2 on the depth chart for the last game of the season
7 from the list were freshmenI don't know what it took to earn a letter from Georgetown this season, but I do have a sense of what it took to earn a 3.2. I prefer to applaud the fact that 107 bleepin' football players from a 7 team Division I conference got a 3.2 or better. And at these schools, they EARNED that 3.2. :hurray:

Absolutely--gosh, I remember how hard it was for me--especially as a freshman studying at night while my entire body ached,....Thanks for the memories...: smh : ;)