PDA

View Full Version : DE shocks the world and Signs with the SWAC

SUjagTILLiDIE
February 6th, 2007, 10:13 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Despite holding offers from Boston College, Michigan State, Tennessee, Cincinnati, Akron and others, Upper Marlboro (Md.) Gwynn Park defensive end Jeremiah Martin has decided to go another way. The 6-foot-1, 220-pounder made a commitment today to Prairie View.

http://rivals100.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=638801

ASU Kep
February 6th, 2007, 10:28 PM

Prairie View.

PRAIRIE VIEW?!?!?

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

ASU Kep
February 6th, 2007, 10:29 PM
Good for them, though. It's about time SOMETHING good happened for 'em.

TexasTerror
February 6th, 2007, 10:34 PM
We sure this guy is going to be academically eligible?

Saw an article on Florida's recruiting class of 2002. Lots of those guys didn't make it academically and ended up at lower division schools...

Not saying this against the SWAC, PVA&M or whatever, but we've seen how several SWAC schools seem to sign these classes of 30+ each year, only for a lot of them not to get their act together academically...

SUjagTILLiDIE
February 6th, 2007, 10:39 PM

Saw an article on Florida's recruiting class of 2002. Lots of those guys didn't make it academically and ended up at lower division schools...

Not saying this against the SWAC, PVA&M or whatever, but we've seen how several SWAC schools seem to sign these classes of 30+ each year, only for a lot of them not to get their act together academically...
Must you always hate.: smh : :nono: Congrats would have been nice.

TexasTerror
February 6th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Must you always hate.: smh : :nono: Congrats would have been nice.

I don't know the whole story...as JayRob on SWACPage says, "I'll believe it when I see it." We must wait to see if this student-athletes hits the field. xcoffeex

I've seen quite a few of these recruiting classes, especially from the SWAC in the last few years. While being stunned by the sheer numbers (several SWAC classes featuring 30+) and quality of athletes, once the fall started and rosters were released, were these individuals there? :read:

youwouldno
February 7th, 2007, 12:45 AM
Academic issues, guaranteed. No rational person would ever pick Prairie View over Tennessee etc.

unknown-swac
February 7th, 2007, 01:35 AM
Academic issues, guaranteed. No rational person would ever pick Prairie View over Tennessee etc.
:rolleyes:

February 7th, 2007, 03:04 AM

Not saying this against the SWAC, PVA&M or whatever, but we've seen how several SWAC schools seem to sign these classes of 30+ each year, only for a lot of them not to get their act together academically...Good question. xcoffeex

Lionsrking
February 7th, 2007, 03:53 AM

Can't speak this particular kid but usually what happens in situations like this is either they won't qualify academically, they wait too late and have their offers pulled or never had written offers in the first place.

Pitbull
February 7th, 2007, 06:50 AM

Give me a break...What's wrong w/ a top athlete deciding to support an HBCU instead of a D-1A PWC ......?

SC State just had a guy decommit from Colorado to sign w/ the BullDawgs... :hurray: It happens....I hope to see it happen more....Especially when kids see the kind of crap that happened at Clemson on MLK Day... :mad:

jstate83
February 7th, 2007, 09:06 AM
What did ya'll expect here......................anything less.: smh :

jstate83
February 7th, 2007, 09:09 AM

Idiot.....................There is more to life than just football.

Everyone is not impressed with fake offers and dreams a TENNESSE run's at you.:rolleyes:
And believe me, the SEC sell's kid's whoppers down here.
Remember Albert Means and Alabama.

Guess a RATIONAL PERSON would have bought all that pay for a recruit crap.

SUjagTILLiDIE
February 7th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Academic issues, guaranteed. No rational person would ever pick Prairie View over Tennessee etc.Tennessee can't offer the HBCU experience like PVU can. :thumbsup:

Dane96
February 7th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Guys, I think a little slack here should be given. I dont think the posters are saying there is something fishy simply because the kid chose HBCU over a FBS team.

Unless I am wrong, I think most are confused over the CHOICE OF THE HBCU SCHOOL ITSELF; I dont think it would be much of a story if the kid chose another HBCU as kids make choices for all kinds of reasons.

That being said, as Prairie View is a traditionally BAD PROGRAM, the choice of PV is the question...not the choice of an HBCU.

Also, the way it was posed originally, that this kid SHOCKED THE WORLD...begs posters to reply with questions as the the original poster looked for shock value with the post. If he had not, you would have just seen "X signed with Prairie View", opposed to "X SHOCKS THE WORLD...SIGNS WITH PRAIRIE VIEW."

SpartanLegion
February 7th, 2007, 09:37 AM
I'm glad to see Prairie View finally get a serious blue chipper. So he's from Upper Marlboro, huh? I'm gonna see if I can find some more info on him. I know that school is way, way down deep in the heart of PG county.

Peems
February 7th, 2007, 09:51 AM
hopefully he'll shine so he can get a shot at the big leagues.

TexasTerror
February 7th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Guys, I think a little slack here should be given. I dont think the posters are saying there is something fishy simply because the kid chose HBCU over a FBS team.

Unless I am wrong, I think most are confused over the CHOICE OF THE HBCU SCHOOL ITSELF; I dont think it would be much of a story if the kid chose another HBCU as kids make choices for all kinds of reasons.

It's not confusion...

It's the same thing every year. Watch some of these SWAC classes swell with loads of names. Those of us who follow FCS knows it happened last year to some major extremes (again, Jackson St's class being the front-runner). Yet, we hear the same old rhetoric about how these "great athletes" have signed.

I said it happens across the board. I brought up the University of Florida where half of their #1 class from a few years back dropped off the face of the planet before they got to the playing field or pretty soon after due to academics. It's the nature of the game. It happens at Jackson St and Florida. Happens all across the board, though it seems more and more of these FBS schools are looking out for who they sign before they do so.

Since I know attacks against SHSU are coming (besides the usual TT is racist remarks), let me say that there was an article about SHSU recently that said, "we may be the first group of fans in all of collegiate athletics that puffs out its chest in abject pride at the recruit that we didn’t get because he couldn’t pass our academic requirements. " (http://www.katfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4489)

Dane96
February 7th, 2007, 10:09 AM
TT...relax. I watch FCS. Again, re-read the premise of my post.

Dane96
February 7th, 2007, 10:10 AM
And I know of the HBCU recruiting classes. 7 out of 15 Srs. of my high school team went HBCU. Some were academic casualties (one kid had UVA all but locked up, another the same at Notre Dame....both ended up at FAMU.)

If the title was "BIG TIME DE signs with Hampton," or "TOP DE signs with GRAMBLING," no one would be discussing this for two reasons: A) NO SHOCK VALUE IN THE POST TITLE...and B) those are historically good football schools.

You, and the original poster, are taking this to a whole NEW LEVEL THAT DOES NOT NEED TO EXIST.

jstate83
February 7th, 2007, 10:11 AM
It's not confusion...

It's the same thing every year. Watch some of these SWAC classes swell with loads of names. Those of us who follow FCS knows it happened last year to some major extremes (again, Jackson St's class being the front-runner). Yet, we hear the same old rhetoric about how these "great athletes" have signed.

I said it happens across the board. I brought up the University of Florida where half of their #1 class from a few years back dropped off the face of the planet before they got to the playing field or pretty soon after due to academics. It's the nature of the game. It happens at Jackson St and Florida. Happens all across the board, though it seems more and more of these FBS schools are looking out for who they sign before they do so.

Since I know attacks against SHSU are coming (besides the usual TT is racist remarks), let me say that there was an article about SHSU recently that said, "we may be the first group of fans in all of collegiate athletics that puffs out its chest in abject pride at the recruit that we didn’t get because he couldn’t pass our academic requirements. " (http://www.katfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4489)

If the shoe fit's...........etc.
Your brilliant enough to figure out the rest. xlolx

You act like SHSU is academic U and the rest of us peasent's don't know what we doing.xlolx

And could you point out which guy's at JSU that didn't play or IS NOT THERE RIGHT NOW ready to suit up.:nod:

Since you know more than us, especially about hbcu's since that's your favorite subject, tell me about my players.:thumbsup:

I'll be waiting. :rolleyes: xcoffeex

TexasTerror
February 7th, 2007, 10:47 AM
According to Matt D's column last year post recruiting...

Jackson State - The large numbers give the Tigers a strong class, with 14 transfers and more than 40 freshmen solidifying the roster.

Looking at JSU's roster...I see 29 freshmen (may be off a number or two)...

Does that include all those "more than 40 freshmen" plus redshirt freshmen (players who had already redshirted)? Your looking at 10-15 guys already not on the roster, even more if the redshirt freshmen were included.

http://www.jsutigers.com/?section=roster&sprt=football

Thank you...

SUjagTILLiDIE
February 7th, 2007, 10:50 AM

Does that include all those "more than 40 freshmen" plus redshirt freshmen (players who had already redshirted)? Your looking at 10-15 guys already not on the roster, even more if the redshirt freshmen were included.

Thank you...Some of those Freshmen were props and are not going to be on the roster until fall 07.

jstate83
February 7th, 2007, 10:53 AM

Thank you...

See answer above.

And YOU.....YOURSELF MR. EXPERT still have not shown me the guy's that are not there.

LIST THEM.

THANK YOU. :rolleyes:

jstate83
February 7th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Some of those Freshmen were props and are not going to be on the roster until fall 07.

He fail to understand what was going on here last year.
Most of those player's were a base for this year.

Our recruiting class is smaller this year going after specific needs..........Olmen, DLmen and D-backs.

Mr. Know it all though still gonna see it his way instead of taking care of his own.
Then again....SHSU is ACADEMIC U................They don't red-shirt or take a recruit's that not a 4.0 student. xlolx
Dude's obsessed.xlolx

Panther88
February 7th, 2007, 11:35 AM

Who knows youwouldnotknow. lol

I guess I was one of those "irrational" ones who told ut-austin, txa&m b/cs, shsu, uofh, uofokl, oklst, tx tech, and ucla among others to suck my d!ck when they were swooning to make me a WR/DB after I was considered a blue-chip QB/ATH leaving Tx in the early 80s (my jr year after losing to "mojo" in the state semis). lol Actually, I hasten to state that I was much, much smarter than most in my decision(s). The community couldn't understand why I shunned those "big" schools while desiring the "small" non-namebrand school. But, I was smart enough to recognize when someone or some entity was desiring to use me and of course, I wasn't having it @ the great age of 17. xlolx

Send a congrats and leave it @ that. If you're actually capable of such. xidiotx Jealousy is going to stop some of your hearts from beating. lol

3rd Coast Tiger
February 7th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Good Luck next season Prairie View (after the Labor Day holiday)! :thumbsup:

By the way, I turned Texas A&M, UH and McNeese down for an athletic scholarship. Does that make me irrational?

Panther88
February 7th, 2007, 11:39 AM
He fail to understand what was going on here last year.
Most of those player's were a base for this year.

Our recruiting class is smaller this year going after specific needs..........Olmen, DLmen and D-backs.

Mr. Know it all though still gonna see it his way instead of taking care of his own.
Then again....SHSU is ACADEMIC U................They don't red-shirt or take a recruit's that not a 4.0 student. xlolx
Dude's obsessed.xlolx

JS83? Don't listen to texas terrorist. lol This dude rides shsu's gonads so hard until I'd thought he'd been impregnated 50 times over already. xlolx

I pass by and through shsu on my way home quite a bit and even have a relative there now working in the football area. :read: :thumbsup: (wish I were kidding, but I'm not xlolx ) I'd love to find time to dig up dirt on "non-academic U" and post but it wouldn't serve a purpose. All ol' boy would and could do is cry, bytch, and moan about it to the admins and I would be silenced from this site because I posted truths.

I still haven't forgotten about the "hook-up" w/ DDTerry. I'll have laptop in hand so he himself can see firsthand how his proud "alums" cutup. lol xlolx So, so, so accessible.... xlolx

Panther88
February 7th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Good Luck next season Prairie View (after the Labor Day holiday)! :thumbsup:

By the way, I turned Texas A&M, UH and McNeese down for an athletic scholarship. does that make me irrational?

They don't know how foolish, dumb, and stupid they sound C-LeB. lol Those who are intelligent look through the smokescreen. lol

Doofus stupid people I tell ya'. lolxidiotx :bang:

jmuroller
February 7th, 2007, 11:42 AM
See answer above.

And YOU.....YOURSELF MR. EXPERT still have not shown me the guy's that are not there.

LIST THEM.

THANK YOU. :rolleyes:

He doesn't have to list them..the proof is right there. There are AT LEAST 15 LESS freshman on the roster than were signed the previous year. Where are they? He doesn't have to list them.

You can go the Prop route also...but are you telling me that JSU signed around 10-15 Props? That would embarassing to a program to say the least...especially the University also.

Instead of asking TT to list the players...why don't YOU explain where these players went?

Panther88
February 7th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Maybe the crickets have the answer. :confused:

Hey crickets! *chirp* *chirp* Why would a kid from a state perennial power/major high school after just leading his squad to the state semis... make the top 50 football blue-chip "watch" list (there was zero rivals.com in the early 80s lol).... sporting a 4.42 gpa (on a 4.0 scale).... turn down offers from FBS schools like UCLA? lol Granted, it's true that the kid's uncle was on the coaching staff and pulled some strings, but still... why would a kid growing up in the backyard of texas a&m/univ texas-austin/univ houston turn all FBS offers down after being courted so heavily? :confused:

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Right. The ice wasn't cold enough on those campuses. lol xlolx :thumbsup:

jstate83
February 7th, 2007, 12:21 PM
He doesn't have to list them..the proof is right there. There are AT LEAST 15 LESS freshman on the roster than were signed the previous year. Where are they? He doesn't have to list them.

You can go the Prop route also...but are you telling me that JSU signed around 10-15 Props? That would embarassing to a program to say the least...especially the University also.

Instead of asking TT to list the players...why don't YOU explain where these players went?

Ya'll the mofo's with all the answers comming from people that have never set foot in Jackson. xlolx

Show me the list and tell me I don't see these guy's on campus on a weekly basis.

Man.......Until you set foot in Jackson Mississippi on Jackson State Campus, you can't tell me SHAT.xlolx
Until you start giving donations and supporting JSU, your opinion don't mean shat.xlolx

You mofo's are obsessed with anything that you think can throw a bad light on HBCU's.:nod:
How many times have you seen me posting wether or not I GAF if SHSU or JMU even exist.:eek:
Worry bout yo own school.:nod:

Let me worry bout mine.:nod:
You will never support it or set foot on JSU's campus so why do you think I need to finish what Texas Terrorist started or explain anything to someone like you. xlolxxlolx

jstate83
February 7th, 2007, 12:24 PM
JS83? Don't listen to texas terrorist. lol This dude rides shsu's gonads so hard until I'd thought he'd been impregnated 50 times over already. xlolx

I pass by and through shsu on my way home quite a bit and even have a relative there now working in the football area. :read: :thumbsup: (wish I were kidding, but I'm not xlolx ) I'd love to find time to dig up dirt on "non-academic U" and post but it wouldn't serve a purpose. All ol' boy would and could do is cry, bytch, and moan about it to the admins and I would be silenced from this site because I posted truths.

I still haven't forgotten about the "hook-up" w/ DDTerry. I'll have laptop in hand so he himself can see firsthand how his proud "alums" cutup. lol xlolx So, so, so accessible.... xlolx

Man..................They don't bother me.xlolx
I luv it when they expose themselves like the GHETTO PARTY students that "didn't mean any harm". xlolx

Panther88
February 7th, 2007, 12:58 PM
I luv it when they expose themselves like the GHETTO PARTY students that "didn't mean any harm". xlolx

Ya' know... after leaving the GHETTO/BROTHA PARTY lol that "didn't mean any harm" lol, these are the same dumb ****s will wear a "brothas" jersey/last name across their back on game day and root for him like their very life depended on it. :confused: Can't even identify w/ themselves and want to be accepted and identified w/ a "brotha" AND his last name?

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

Pitbull
February 7th, 2007, 12:59 PM

Hopefully we are seeing a trend w/ 3-4-5 star athletes signing w/ HBCUs....They will learn there is no experience like the Black College/Univiersity Experience... :smiley_wi

Panther88
February 7th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Hopefully we are seeing a trend w/ 3-4-5 star athletes signing w/ HBCUs....They will learn there is no experience like the Black College/Univiersity Experience... :smiley_wi

:smiley_wi lol

I knew it in 1984. lol xlolx :nod: Smarter than most! :thumbsup:

3rd Coast Tiger
February 7th, 2007, 01:01 PM
They will learn there is no experience like the Black College/Univiersity Experience...

Be careful!! You might be asked to explain yourself on what you meant by that.

Pitbull
February 7th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Be careful!! You might be asked to explain yourself on what you meant by that.

No problem... :cool:

youwouldno
February 7th, 2007, 01:21 PM
If a true superstar player was set on going to a HBCU, why not go to one with a decent team? Grambling, Hampton, etc., I can understand. Prairie View? I'm not buying it.

And no amount of insult-laden gibberish changes the fact that SWAC teams take a huge number of players, knowing a lot of them aren't going to make it. They aren't the only ones, of course, but that doesn't change anything.

jstate83
February 7th, 2007, 01:25 PM

We got an O-lineman that had full offers from Oklohoma St, Colorado, and Houston.

He was supposed to sign with Houston but signed with us instead.:nod:
Closer to home
One of the top O-linmen in the state..........On track to meet requirement's.
6'3", 300lbs, rated out at 94 and had 68 pancakes this year.

Don't wanna say too much because I don't want them saying he's not a "rational" thinker. xlolx

jstate83
February 7th, 2007, 01:28 PM
If a true superstar player was set on going to a HBCU, why not go to one with a decent team? Grambling, Hampton, etc., I can understand. Prairie View? I'm not buying it.

And no amount of insult-laden gibberish changes the fact that SWAC teams take a huge number of players, knowing a lot of them aren't going to make it. They aren't the only ones, of course, but that doesn't change anything.

Same question to you.

EVERY PLAYER IN YOUR CONFERENCE AND SCHOOL HIT'S THE FIELD IMMEDIATLY.
Am I right.
Nothing but 3.5 to 4.0's right.

I'll be waiting. xlolx

I wish I knew who you repped so I would at least have an idea of who you are.
But since you don't want your school identified, I'll just have to take you at your "word". xlolx

Panther88
February 7th, 2007, 01:33 PM

Dude, U have 2 B 1 of the most clueless individuals to ever grace the world wide spider-thing. lol IMO, your statements and assertions are very irrational. I'm speaking w/ a non-athlete. lol

I was ONE of those "superstars" and I chose right vs white along w/ others who came in w/ me. However, I subsequently chose not to play ball anymore for varying reasons (health related). It's not my job to "sell" PVAMU to anyone who is clueless, such as yourself. In our community, we know where PVAMU stands and what it offers. That and your tax dollars lol is all that matters to us. xlolx

And, my statements were meant directly the way I typed them. Interpret as you please. xcoffeex

CCU97
February 7th, 2007, 01:34 PM
What it really boils down to is what school an athelete is comfortable playing and being a student. I completely respect any athelete who choose a school because the fit is better. The majority of students who end up transfering to another school is because the fit wasn't right for them...atheletes are a little different on the transfering so they should make sure to begin with that this is where they want to be. Congrats to PV on a great pick up...surprising or not...

bandl
February 7th, 2007, 01:34 PM

Despite holding offers from Boston College, Michigan State, Tennessee, Cincinnati, Akron and others, Upper Marlboro (Md.) Gwynn Park defensive end Jeremiah Martin has decided to go another way. The 6-foot-1, 220-pounder made a commitment today to Prairie View.

I saw this kid play two seasons ago (not this season, I believe he was declared ineligible because of the '8 semester rule' this past season) and he was a beast, a man among boys it seemed. He's also got a slew of accolades/awards in the area. Wherever he ends up, he will definitely be an asset. :twocents:

Panther88
February 7th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Same question to you.

EVERY PLAYER IN YOUR CONFERENCE AND SCHOOL HIT'S THE FIELD IMMEDIATLY.
Am I right.
Nothing but 3.5 to 4.0's right.

I'll be waiting. xlolx

I wish I knew who you repped so I would at least have an idea of who you are.
But since you don't want your school identified, I'll just have to take you at your "word". xlolx

He's shamed J83. lol Of course we know he's a harvard grad. lol 3.98 gpa and all. xidiotx

Where's terrorist? I enjoy that "guys" banter. lol He reminds me of folx from my home area. Non-athletic, square/corny/stiff as hell, and think they have all the answers to all problems. xlolx

youwouldno
February 7th, 2007, 01:37 PM
I'm a Furman alum. We have one of the highest graduation rates of any college program in America. In many of our football classes, not a single player becomes an academic casualty.

Now, I'm sensitive to the fact that different universities have different missions and policies when it comes to admissions. Not every school is going to graduate 95%+ of its players. My only point was that SWAC teams sign a lot of talent that never will see the field... so it's premature to be bragging about them.

jstate83
February 7th, 2007, 01:41 PM
What it really boils down to is what school an athelete is comfortable playing and being a student. I completely respect any athelete who choose a school because the fit is better. The majority of students who end up transfering to another school is because the fit wasn't right for them...atheletes are a little different on the transfering so they should make sure to begin with that this is where they want to be. Congrats to PV on a great pick up...surprising or not...

Thank you...........Much respect cause that's the correct answer.

I know Derrick Brook's had ton's of trouble at Tennessee acting out.
When that dude hit Jackson States campus, he was a totally different person.

For the first time in his college carear, he said he finally felt like he fit in.
He said he never got that feeling at Tennessee.

Dude hasn't got so much as a jaywalking ticket to this date in Jackson and is hitting the classes.

Panther88
February 7th, 2007, 01:42 PM
I'm a Furman alum. We have one of the highest graduation rates of any college program in America. In many of our football classes, not a single player becomes an academic casualty.

Now, I'm sensitive to the fact that different universities have different missions and policies when it comes to admissions. Not every school is going to graduate 95%+ of its players. My only point was that SWAC teams sign a lot of talent that never will see the field... so it's premature to be bragging about them.

Stay on task son! I wanna' talk about this "irrrational" choice stuff you alluded to earlier. lol

Why was I so "irrational?" lol There was no such category as "dual-threat qb" during my day and if so, I probably would've shined stat-wise due to that massive HS o-line I had. So.... again I ask... why was someone like me "irrational" for choosing the way I did? lol FBS offers and all turned down. Why?

CITFAN
February 7th, 2007, 01:42 PM
[QUOTE=ASU Kep] PRAIRIE VIEW?!?!?

Congrats.:hurray:

CCU97
February 7th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Thanks j83....I have worked for colleges for the past 9 years and have been able to see what works and what doesn't and the fit usually will be the deciding factor or success...Brooks is a perfect example.

jstate83
February 7th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Thanks j83....I have worked for colleges for the past 9 years and have been able to see what works and what doesn't and the fit usually will be the deciding factor or success...Brooks is a perfect example.

The reason I beleive him is because he never blammed the University of Tennessee for any of the trouble he got into.

It just was not a "right" fit for him and to any kid that's 18 years old, leaving home for BIG TIME U can put up a smokescreen to what's best for THEM.

They see all the light's and national glitter but when they get there, something dosn't click with some.

youwouldno
February 7th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Stay on task son! I wanna' talk about this "irrrational" choice stuff you alluded to earlier. lol

Why was I so "irrational?" lol There was no such category as "dual-threat qb" during my day and if so, I probably would've shined stat-wise due to that massive HS o-line I had. So.... again I ask... why was someone like me "irrational" for choosing the way I did? lol FBS offers and all turned down. Why?

I don't know you and don't particularly care to. What struck me as odd is that someone would be good enough to play for Tennessee, but not good enough to play for Alabama A&M, Grambling, Hampton, or SC State. This really should not be hard to understand. And yes I do think it's irrational to pick a HBCU with a horrible team instead of a HBCU with a good team or a SEC program.

Panther88
February 7th, 2007, 01:59 PM
I don't know you and don't particularly care to. What struck me as odd is that someone would be good enough to play for Tennessee, but not good enough to play for Alabama A&M, Grambling, Hampton, or SC State. This really should not be hard to understand. And yes I do think it's irrational to pick a HBCU with a horrible team instead of a HBCU with a good team or a SEC program.

Oh, you would've known me and would've WANTED to know me if I'd ran the offense for your team. :smiley_wi I'm most certain. :read:

Maybe other schools didn't attempt to recruit the kid. For goodness sake, he's in Maryland. Why would smaller FCS schools in the "south" go ALL the way to Md for a kid when there are kids in this region just as good if not better?

Just be thankful that you're not the kid nor his parents. It's not your job or your right to agree or disagree w/ their decision. And, for whatever reason(s) that caused them to choose like they did, it's on them and it's acceptable. Univ tenn, your school lol xlolx, and others weren't to his liking. Don't try to demean the kid because if he'd signed @ your school, you'd be on your knees in front of him w/ your mouth full. :smiley_wi You know it's true. :thumbsup:

youwouldno
February 7th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Like I said, Furman doesn't sign players with academic issues. And that's gross... find a little class somewhere, eh?

3rd Coast Tiger
February 7th, 2007, 02:09 PM
For all we know, this young man could have had a parent, relative or mentor as a Prairie View alum.

Or he could may want to major in engineering, nursing, become a veterinarian, etc...

He could have been told of the days of Prairie View's glory and wants to be THE GUY that turns the university back to it's ways of dominating the SWAC and beyond.

He may actually be using football as a tool to get a sound education and not let football use him.

Good luck Prairie View!

jstate83
February 7th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Like I said, Furman doesn't sign players with academic issues. And that's gross... find a little class somewhere, eh?

You the one that came up in this thread showing yo UPPITY FURMAN ARSE.xlolx

Yo need to FIND some class or at least fake like you received some common sense at home.:nod:

youwouldno
February 7th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Oh I'm sorry for intruding with some reality "in this thread," which I didn't realize was for selected posters only. Seriously though, the insults and lewd references are not very becoming of what I assume are adults...

jstate83
February 7th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Oh I'm sorry for intruding with some reality "in this thread," which I didn't realize was for selected posters only. Seriously though, the insults and lewd references are not very becoming of what I assume are adults...

WHOO.......:eek: ........That uppity stick is moving further and further up that arse.xlolx

(Fool come in, start shat, now wanna act like he's beyond getting talked about.)

Panther88
February 7th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Oh I'm sorry

Yes. This I do agree w/. You are indeed VERY sorry.

Now, apologize! :thumbsup: :smiley_wi xlolx :deadhorse:

Panther88
February 7th, 2007, 02:37 PM
WHOO.......:eek: ........That uppity stick is moving further and further up that arse.xlolx

(Fool come in, start shat, now wanna act like he's beyond getting talked about.)

xlolx :nod:

youwouldno
February 7th, 2007, 03:20 PM
What, are you guys 12 years old? Sad. If you can graduate from some of these places, I can't imagine how so many athletes flunk out...

Panther88
February 7th, 2007, 03:29 PM
What, are you guys 12 years old? Sad. If you can graduate from some of these places, I can't imagine how so many athletes flunk out...

Quit while you're still behind son! :nod: I can't imagine being a potential recruit considering a school that produces people like you. lol

Come back. :smiley_wi

jstate83
February 7th, 2007, 03:29 PM

Last time I checked...............THOSE PLACES were called UNIVERSITIES.:eyebrow:

With your mentality, I can see how so many fool's at school's like yours would think a GHETTO or BLACKFACE party would not be seen as harmful...................YEAR after YEAR. :eyebrow:

And what's sad is a FOOL like YOU keep comming back to this thread for MORE.xlolx

I would think that an UPPITY FURMAN MAN like yourself would have the intelligence to move the he!! on.xlolx

NO COMMON SENSE. xlolx

jstate83
February 7th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Quit while you're still behind son! :nod: I can't imagine being a potential recruit considering a school that produces people like you. lol

Come back. :smiley_wi

And the Church say....................:bow:

Panther88
February 7th, 2007, 03:32 PM
This boy is clueless.

I wanted some of the other coney heads "who did not mean any harm" lol to appear but I assume they have enough semblance of intelligence not to respond or support this boy's drivel. lol

jstate83
February 7th, 2007, 03:35 PM
This boy is clueless.

I wanted some of the other coney heads "who did not mean any harm" lol to appear but I assume they have enough semblance of intelligence not to respond or support this boy's drivel. lol

Yep......................I have had my fun with him/ her/heSHE...............Whatever it is.xlolx

Let it post.:thumbsup:
After all...................We really value it's opinion.xlolx

lizrdgizrd
February 7th, 2007, 03:37 PM
For all we know, this young man could have had a parent, relative or mentor as a Prairie View alum.

Or he could may want to major in engineering, nursing, become a veterinarian, etc...

He could have been told of the days of Prairie View's glory and wants to be THE GUY that turns the university back to it's ways of dominating the SWAC and beyond.

He may actually be using football as a tool to get a sound education and not let football use him.

Good luck Prairie View!
It could be that he sees a chance to play from day one at PV rather than sit a year at a school with more depth. I'd think a chance to start as a true freshman would make an impression on a kid who's a competitor.

Pitbull
February 7th, 2007, 03:52 PM
We got an O-lineman that had full offers from Oklohoma St, Colorado, and Houston.

He was supposed to sign with Houston but signed with us instead.:nod:
Closer to home
One of the top O-linmen in the state..........On track to meet requirement's.
6'3", 300lbs, rated out at 94 and had 68 pancakes this year.

Don't wanna say too much because I don't want them saying he's not a "rational" thinker. xlolx

That's what I'm talking about...Kids are starting to realize also you can be noticed at the D1-AA level....if you show out on the field.....i.e. Robert Porche' (SCSU) drafted #25 overall in the 1st round by the Detroit Lions back in the early 90's..... :D

Panther88
February 7th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Yep......................I have had my fun with him/ her/heSHE...............Whatever it is.xlolx

Let it post.:thumbsup:
After all...................We really value it's opinion.xlolx

10-4. This is overly true! :thumbsup:

youwouldno
February 7th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Just for the sake of accuracy, the controversial party you reference was at Clemson, which is not the same university as Furman.

jstate83
February 7th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Just for the sake of accuracy, the controversial party you reference was at Clemson, which is not the same university as Furman.

I know they had one at Clemson, and Auburn, and Ole Miss, and Memphis, and etc.
They have one or two every year at these "racially sensative places" and claim they meant no harm or didn't know it was harmful..................Right.:rolleyes:
Bet mommy and Daddy give the same answer when their true colors are exposed just like their little bigot's of the future.

The Ghetto party I was referencing was in at a PWC in TEXAS. :rolleyes:
Read and understand before you try and correct someone.

youwouldno
February 7th, 2007, 04:30 PM
What do those have to do with anything?

jstate83
February 7th, 2007, 04:37 PM
What do those have to do with anything?

Go home dude...........dudet.......whatever. :rolleyes:

youwouldno
February 7th, 2007, 04:39 PM
I am at home.

jstate83
February 7th, 2007, 04:42 PM
I am at home.

Good.
Now do this.

Find a gas line, turn it on, insert in mouth, and wait for the surprise. :rolleyes:

youwouldno
February 7th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the advice. It's obvious you learned that lesson from experience...

sfjackster
February 7th, 2007, 04:52 PM
A RB who was at Tennessee transfered to Dakota Wesleyan which is a NAIA school a couple years ago. So it does happen.

jstate83
February 7th, 2007, 04:57 PM
A RB who was at Tennessee transfered to Dakota Wesleyan which is a NAIA school a couple years ago. So it does happen.

All the time.

There have been more kids transferring out of 1-A in the last 3 or 4 years than I have seen in a while.

Guess the message is getting through.
Go to big time u, set on the bench or go somewhere you can play and show the next level what you have. :nod:

Panther88
February 7th, 2007, 04:59 PM

Clemson...Furman...Tarleton State...Georgia Tech... Alabama.... what's the real difference here? xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

youwouldno
February 7th, 2007, 05:01 PM
They're all better schools than where you went?

Panther88
February 7th, 2007, 05:03 PM
They're all better schools than where you went?

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHA!!!!

Beneath me son! T-totally beneath me. I know factually (via PM of course ;)) that Furman alumni cannot be (are not) happy w/ you son. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

youwouldno
February 7th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Right on pal...

jmuroller
February 7th, 2007, 05:05 PM
JState83....so I guess whenever someone points something out about a HBCU immediatley they are racist and a bigot? How many NLI's are Jstate signing this year? Serious question.

Panther88
February 7th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Right on pal...

~snicker~

Furman alums, come get your boy or boy-ette lol. :D They(he) should've publicly reprimanded you vs sending an apologetic PM for your insipid behavior. lol

Panther88
February 7th, 2007, 05:09 PM
JState83....so I guess whenever someone points something out about a HBCU immediatley they are racist and a bigot? How many NLI's are Jstate signing this year? Serious question.

Dude, did you just READ what you typed? Damn.

How about this: (food for thought)
"JState83....so I guess whenever someone points something out about a university that just HAPPENS TO BE AN HBCU, immediatley they are racist and a bigot? "

Did that fly over your head? Some of you... SMGDH... I just don't understand how recruits of color would lower themselves to be in or around people like some of you in a college setting.

youwouldno
February 7th, 2007, 05:12 PM
~snicker~

Furman alums, come get your boy or boy-ette lol. :D They(he) should've publicly reprimanded you vs sending an apologetic PM for your insipid behavior. lol

Oh and, for the record, I'm pretty sure you're lying about the PM. It's a little harder to trick intelligent people than that...

And the gay insinuations are childish and somewhat in contradiction with your erstwhile concern over prejudice...

rcny46
February 7th, 2007, 05:18 PM
I'm surprised that BC,for one, would pursue,let alone make an offer,to someone who was questionable academically.Their admissions standards are high,and I can't see them wasting their time and recruiting budget on a ?.I'm no authority on another point,but 6'1'',and 220 lbs.seems quite a bit smaller than the usual bowl subdivision program would be interested in,even allowing for the positives a player might bring.

jmuroller
February 7th, 2007, 05:25 PM

"JState83....so I guess whenever someone points something out about a university that just HAPPENS TO BE AN HBCU, immediatley they are racist and a bigot? "

Did that fly over your head? Some of you... SMGDH... I just don't understand how recruits of color would lower themselves to be in or around people like some of you in a college setting.

Your choice of words and insults really makes you seem immature and childish. Do you read your posts before you press send? You make it seem like if you are a minority then going to a non-HBCU school would mean lowering their standards. I'm lost at what you are saying here. I guess if you can't answer honest and simple questions that are brought to you on here...just resort to tell them to give you oral sex.

Panther88
February 7th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Oh and, for the record, I'm pretty sure you're lying about the PM. It's a little harder to trick intelligent people than that...

And the gay insinuations are childish and somewhat in contradiction with your erstwhile concern over prejudice...

Still clueless and still biting. I'll bring the 257lb wght line next time. ;)

xlolx I don't mind reading all 27 ~snicker~ of your chromosones but I have bigger fish to fry. ;) :thumbsup: Have @ it. You Furman grad you! :eek: ;)

youwouldno
February 7th, 2007, 05:32 PM
So you admit to being a liar?

Panther88
February 7th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Your choice of words and insults really makes you seem immature and childish. Do you read your posts before you press send? You make it seem like if you are a minority then going to a non-HBCU school would mean lowering their standards. I'm lost at what you are saying here. I guess if you can't answer honest and simple questions that are brought to you on here...just resort to tell them to give you oral sex.

Get over yourself boy. I knew it would fly over your head. Shallow...

Actually, einstein (lc for respect), it was you who threw the initial insult. I followed suit. Still don't see it do you? Look @ your first post if you doubt.:read:

Here, let me spell it out for you since you are either pretending to be damn dumb or you really are just damn dumb. :D As a potential recruit, I would THOROUGHLY investigate the SOCIAL environment of whatever school was slobbing my knob for my "special" (read: athletic) services. I can ALMOST guarantee you that NO minority recruit will EVER experience racism on an HBCU campus. Wouldn't you agree? Therefore, I (me, first person singular, ego, sunt ,summa, et al) do not UNDERSTAND how ANY minority recruit would EVER LOWER themselves to accept an offer @ an institution that they have an INKLING of knowledge as to their social infrastructure (read: bigots, racists, conf flags, etc). What occurred recently @ Tarleton St and Furman university lol are prime examples of what I'm referring to.

Hope that's plain as mud. Get mad. But you'll never get even. lol

Panther88
February 7th, 2007, 05:34 PM
So you admit to being a liar?

No. Do you want me to cut and paste? I'll ask ol' boy for permission first though. :D Just to make you look even more stupid than what you appear to be. :D

youwouldno
February 7th, 2007, 05:35 PM
No. Do you want me to cut and paste? I'll ask ol' boy for permission first though. :D Just to make you look even more stupid than what you appear to be. :D

I just want to know who it was... I don't care what they said.

Panther88
February 7th, 2007, 05:37 PM
I just want to know who it was... I don't care what they said.

On the real tip, that's between you and whomever. I'm not getting into the middle of any serious issue you have w/ your own alums.

I'm out on that note because I see where this is going. No thx.

youwouldno
February 7th, 2007, 05:41 PM
On the real tip, that's between you and whomever. I'm not getting into the middle of any serious issue you have w/ your own alums.

I'm out on that note because I see where this is going. No thx.

You lied about the whole thing. Ridiculous.

Dane96
February 7th, 2007, 06:01 PM

Actually, einstein (lc for respect), it was you who threw the initial insult. I followed suit. Still don't see it do you? Look @ your first post if you doubt.:read:

Here, let me spell it out for you since you are either pretending to be damn dumb or you really are just damn dumb. :D As a potential recruit, I would THOROUGHLY investigate the SOCIAL environment of whatever school was slobbing my knob for my "special" (read: athletic) services. I can ALMOST guarantee you that NO minority recruit will EVER experience racism on an HBCU campus. Wouldn't you agree? Therefore, I (me, first person singular, ego, sunt ,summa, et al) do not UNDERSTAND how ANY minority recruit would EVER LOWER themselves to accept an offer @ an institution that they have an INKLING of knowledge as to their social infrastructure (read: bigots, racists, conf flags, etc). What occurred recently @ Tarleton St and Furman university lol are prime examples of what I'm referring to.

I have stayed out of this for quite the bit because the entire argument is sensless especially since it got away from the real question of why the kid chose Prairie View over some other better HBCU's in football. Of course, like someone said, there could be family, educational, or coaching reasons for doing so.

This comment above, however, I dont get. There are many state schools in the south who have boosters or fans who are idiot racists. Heck, even up North we have racist fans. However we see minorities signing up left and right to play for some of these schools.

I just dont get your comment...but I understand your premise of being aware of social atmosphere on a campus prior to choosing. That being said, your proclamation that an HBCU will have no racist tendancies, while most likely correct, also implies that there are many problems at other schools. If that was the case, there would be a reduction of the number of minorities at these non-HBCU's. Clearly, that is not the case as minority participation in football has outpaced non-minority participation for the past 15-20 years at these non-HBCU's.

Let's drop this thread....and stop the insults. The kid chose Prairie View for whatever his reasons were.

Panther88
February 7th, 2007, 06:15 PM
I have stayed out of this for quite the bit because the entire argument is sensless especially since it got away from the real question of why the kid chose Prairie View over some other better HBCU's in football. Of course, like someone said, there could be family, educational, or coaching reasons for doing so.

This comment above, however, I dont get. There are many state schools in the south who have boosters or fans who are idiot racists. Heck, even up North we have racist fans. However we see minorities signing up left and right to play for some of these schools.

I just dont get your comment...but I understand your premise of being aware of social atmosphere on a campus prior to choosing. That being said, your proclamation that an HBCU will have no racist tendancies, while most likely correct, also implies that there are many problems at other schools. If that was the case, there would be a reduction of the number of minorities at these non-HBCU's. Clearly, that is not the case as minority participation in football has outpaced non-minority participation for the past 15-20 years at these non-HBCU's.

Let's drop this thread....and stop the insults. The kid chose Prairie View for whatever his reasons were.

For whatever reason, I've found that athletes are "sheltered" from "normal" campus happenings/environments. They're treated like kings/queens; therefore, they will not be subjected to the same atmosphere that "normal" students endure. Would you find this correct? For example, I would think that student-athletes @ Clemson would give a rats fat arse what happened off campus, etc as their sole focus is football/basketball/etc. I think that's true. I could be wrong, but given the "sample" of players I've spoken w/ and to, I've found this to be true.

Panther88
February 7th, 2007, 06:15 PM
You lied about the whole thing. Ridiculous.

You're looked down on by @ least one of your own. Perfect.

xlolx

youwouldno
February 7th, 2007, 06:21 PM
You're looked down on by @ least one of your own. Perfect.

xlolx

No, I already told you that I'm too smart to be tricked by someone with an IQ of 25. You'll just have to do better.

Dane96
February 7th, 2007, 06:30 PM
For whatever reason, I've found that athletes are "sheltered" from "normal" campus happenings/environments. They're treated like kings/queens; therefore, they will not be subjected to the same atmosphere that "normal" students endure. Would you find this correct? For example, I would think that student-athletes @ Clemson would give a rats fat arse what happened off campus, etc as their sole focus is football/basketball/etc. I think that's true. I could be wrong, but given the "sample" of players I've spoken w/ and to, I've found this to be true.

Completely agree. Heck, when recruited you are shown "the good stuff." Therefore, the only true way a player can get a feel is from the opinion of future teammates or friends who attend schools.

There is racism on every campus (outside of the HBCU's) in some way, shape, or form. It is a microcosm (sp?) of our society. That being said, the point about Clemson (or South Carolina...or Georgia, et al) is well taken. There are some idiots out there who may or may not make these kids life unbearable, however SO MANY KIDS CHOOSE TO LIVE OUTSIDE OF THE BUBBLE that the HBCU school would provide.

My point: IT IS RARE THAT ANY PROSPECTIVE STUDENT ATHLETE IS GOING TO WITNESS, HEAR, OR FALL PREY TO BLATENT RACISM ON A NON-HBCU CAMPUS, hence it is in those rare occasions that I would understand a kid choosing an HBCU over a non-HBCU TOP FCS school or FBS school.

Of course there are incidents, but again, South Carolina just picked up the Top 5 recruiting class in the country. That state is, as we all know, being boycotted to an extent. I would bet more than 50% of that recruting class is formed by minorities.

Thus, I think the choice of a going to an HBCU over another school that may be bigger, more well-known, better in football, etc. would come down, MORE OFTEN THAN NOT, to other reasons than it would for a RACIST/BIGOT attitude since MOST OF THOSE ATTITUDES are usually latent.

JohnStOnge
February 7th, 2007, 06:35 PM
My first thought wasn't academics...it was size. You have to wonder about a 6'1", 220 pound defensive end being seriously pursued by BCS league schools. That's even small for a linebacker at that level.

jstate83
February 7th, 2007, 07:17 PM

For all the intelligence that you JM poster's claim to have, you sure can't comprehend what you read.

Ya'll come in with your bullshat implications, then act like a hoe that lie and cry when you get called on it trying to get sympathy.

Like I told the last JM fool, until you set foot in Jackson on Jackson State's Campus, give donations and actively support JSU, you nor your opinion means shat.xlolx

I'm just entertaining you fool's getting laugh's.xlolx

jstate83
February 7th, 2007, 07:20 PM

Panther.xlolx
I highlighted the key word so these 2 would SPECIFICALLY know where to start looking for the answer.
Here's a 2nd clue...................A MIRROR. xlolx

I was trying to let all that JM INTELLIGENCE these 2 clown's claim to have, figure out what I was talking about.
After all...............According to the first JM fool:

YOU and I WENT TO ONE OF THOSE PLACES FOR AN EDUCATION......................Not a UNIVERSITY. xlolx

TexasTerror
February 7th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Saw this...

Jeremiah Martin (LB/DE, 6-2, 240, Brandywine, Md./Gwynn Park HS)

A Rivals.com two-star recruit….an all-state selection his junior year….at outside linebacker he recorded 24 sacks….registered 123 tackles and six pass deflections…also played at running back and scored four TD’s….an all-county selection….also recruited by Boston College, Michigan State, Cincinnati, Tennesse and Akron.

http://www.swacpage.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=69184

-----------
A two-star recruit? I'm not as impressed as I once was. There's quite a few FCS schools that have a few two-star recruits in the fold. What does recruited by mean? Did he have offers or just some contact?

Looking at SHSU's recruiting class, we have a two-star rated player who is WALKING ON to the team! In addition, we have four other two-star rated players and a four-star rated player (a transfer from the University of Texas). That's just off the list of 12 that we knew heading into signing day.

I'm not as impressed anymore...whether academics is or isn't involved, a two-star recruit doesn't really strike a chord with me. A four or five-star recruit would catch my eyes, a three-star recruit may get a quick glance...

FYI, Texas State - San Marcos signed a three-star recruit and every school in the SLC signed atleast one, if not more two-star recruits rated by Rivals and/or PelicanPreps...

SUjagTILLiDIE
February 7th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Saw this...

Jeremiah Martin (LB/DE, 6-2, 240, Brandywine, Md./Gwynn Park HS)

A Rivals.com two-star recruit….an all-state selection his junior year….at outside linebacker he recorded 24 sacks….registered 123 tackles and six pass deflections…also played at running back and scored four TD’s….an all-county selection….also recruited by Boston College, Michigan State, Cincinnati, Tennesse and Akron.

http://www.swacpage.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=69184

-----------
A two-star recruit? I'm not as impressed as I once was. There's quite a few FCS schools that have a few two-star recruits in the fold. What does recruited by mean? Did he have offers or just some contact?

Looking at SHSU's recruiting class, we have a two-star rated player who is WALKING ON to the team! In addition, we have four other two-star rated players and a four-star rated player (a transfer from the University of Texas). That's just off the list of 12 that we knew heading into signing day.

I'm not as impressed anymore...whether academics is or isn't involved, a two-star recruit doesn't really strike a chord with me. A four or five-star recruit would catch my eyes, a three-star recruit may get a quick glance...

FYI, Texas State - San Marcos signed a three-star recruit and every school in the SLC signed atleast one, if not more two-star recruits rated by Rivals and/or PelicanPreps...
You know how the recruiting rating game goes. Sign with the instate school, its an increase in stars. Sign with a school out of state, decrease in stars. You know the game. Last week he wasn't a 2 star athlete. :cool:

TexasTerror
February 7th, 2007, 10:29 PM
You know how the recruiting rating game goes. Sign with the instate school, its an increase in stars. Sign with a school out of state, decrease in stars. You know the game. Last week he wasn't a 2 star athlete. :cool:

How many stars was he last week? Stars falling from the sky from Maryland to Texas? Maybe that explains the fiancee, she's from Maryland, but happened to fall perfectly into this Texan's heart! :thumbsup:

jmuroller
February 7th, 2007, 10:53 PM
For all the intelligence that you JM poster's claim to have, you sure can't comprehend what you read.

Ya'll come in with your bullshat implications, then act like a hoe that lie and cry when you get called on it trying to get sympathy.

Like I told the last JM fool, until you set foot in Jackson on Jackson State's Campus, give donations and actively support JSU, you nor your opinion means shat.xlolx

I'm just entertaining you fool's getting laugh's.xlolx

Allright...lets get this straight. I simply restated a fact..not an opinion...a fact. How many NLI's did Jackson St sign last year? And of that amount (somewhere in the 30+ range) how many were on the team come August? No bull**** implications, an honest question. Prove me wrong if I am. That happens on a routinely basis at numerous schools every year. I don't see where I am trying to get sympathy in any of this. I could care less if you care about my opinion.

What does me stepping on Jackson St's campus, or coming to Jackson, or even supporting JSU have anything to do with this? Once again, an honest question. I don't understand that one.

Basically you saw my first post and immediately tagged me a racist and a bigot. It's whatever you want to think. I'm safe in knowing what I am.

Actually, einstein (lc for respect), it was you who threw the initial insult. I followed suit. Still don't see it do you? Look @ your first post if you doubt.

Here, let me spell it out for you since you are either pretending to be damn dumb or you really are just damn dumb. As a potential recruit, I would THOROUGHLY investigate the SOCIAL environment of whatever school was slobbing my knob for my "special" (read: athletic) services. I can ALMOST guarantee you that NO minority recruit will EVER experience racism on an HBCU campus. Wouldn't you agree? Therefore, I (me, first person singular, ego, sunt ,summa, et al) do not UNDERSTAND how ANY minority recruit would EVER LOWER themselves to accept an offer @ an institution that they have an INKLING of knowledge as to their social infrastructure (read: bigots, racists, conf flags, etc). What occurred recently @ Tarleton St and Furman university lol are prime examples of what I'm referring to.

Get mad? Explain to me why I would get mad? Get even?...I have nothing to get even to.

Panther..I understand what you are saying...but I just don't agree with all of it. Of course a minority would be subjected to zero racism at a HBCU. But how can you not understand a minority recruit signing with school A, instead of school B, when B is an HBCU and A is not. I graduated from JMU and we have a small minority population, but a growing one. JMU prides its self in having a growing Diversity Program that takes large strides every year. Maybe I'm just to narrow sighted to realize, but by no means is JMU a hostile place for minorities. Anyways..enough taking up for my Alma Mater.

I looked at my first post. The only real part that could be construed as an insult is when I stated if JSU took 10-15 props that would, and should be embarassing to the University. I can understand maybe a handful...but that many? Anybody that thinks that many Props are OK needs to rethink their academic values. I'm all for giving kids a second chance...but there comes a point when to much is to much. Again, obviously I am reading something wrong here.

I can't believe I even stuck my head in this thread....that's what I get for having a day off from work for snow. You guys have fun this offseason.

To make clear..I have absolutely no opinion about the original post. Great for Tarleton St. to sign a player like that. I could care less why went there. Maybe he met some hot female on his visit and fell in love? Who knows. Good luck to them also....

Mr. Tiger
February 7th, 2007, 11:35 PM
What does me stepping on Jackson St's campus, or coming to Jackson, or even supporting JSU have anything to do with this? Once again, an honest question. I don't understand that one.

I looked at my first post. The only real part that could be construed as an insult is when I stated if JSU took 10-15 props that would, and should be embarassing to the University.

The problem with your statement is that you just have no clue as to what really happened to Jackson State's program before last season. I won't bore you with a JSU history lesson, but let's just say that some universities would never recover on the field from the last few years prior to the hiring of Coach Rick Comegy in 2006. And to fully understand what happened and how it happened you had to witness it because telling you about it won't have the same effect.

As for the player signing with Prairie View, some of you have to understand that Prairie View is an excellent school. PV has a fine engineering department, one of the best in the country, and a rich tradition on and off the football field. Prairie View beat Southern University and the SWAC Champion this past season. Maybe this young man decided that instead of being just another player with a number on his back at Tennessee, he would go to PV. :thumbsup:

GeauxLions94
February 8th, 2007, 12:23 AM

Good move for Martin. BTW, here's the Jag Class from the Baton Rouge Morning Advocate

SU Lands 14 with more help on the way (http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/5681841.html)

GeauxLions94
February 8th, 2007, 12:28 AM
Prairie View??? Prairie View???

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/_photos/2005-01-20-mora.jpg

Panther88
February 8th, 2007, 09:16 AM
My first thought wasn't academics...it was size. You have to wonder about a 6'1", 220 pound defensive end being seriously pursued by BCS league schools. That's even small for a linebacker at that level.

Sends a powerful message that he chose PV over everyone else doesn't it? :bawling: I'll ask for myself. I'm sure those BCS type schools really wanted to waste their time pursuing this guy and/or tracking him. ;)

Some of you are severely stuck on dumb like that youwouldnotknow dude. lol

jstate83
February 8th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Allright...lets get this straight. I simply restated a fact..not an opinion...a fact. How many NLI's did Jackson St sign last year? And of that amount (somewhere in the 30+ range) how many were on the team come August? No bull**** implications, an honest question. Prove me wrong if I am. That happens on a routinely basis at numerous schools every year. I don't see where I am trying to get sympathy in any of this. I could care less if you care about my opinion.

You don't understand..........What a shock. xlolx

Basically you saw my first post and immediately tagged me a racist and a bigot. It's whatever you want to think. I'm safe in knowing what I am.

Fellow........................You missing the point.
You have honestly put it in your mind that I actually GAF about anything you have said.xlolx
You honestly think I care about convincing YOU of anything.

I could care less...........You just comic entertainment for me.xlolx
Don't care if you don't understand today, tomorrow, next decade. xlolx
Glad you safe knowing what you are..........Go be it.
I won't ever meet you in life so why should I care.

Get over your IMPORTANT self. xlolx

jstate83
February 8th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Sends a powerful message that he chose PV over everyone else doesn't it? :bawling: I'll ask for myself. I'm sure those BCS type schools really wanted to waste their time pursuing this guy and/or tracking him. ;)

Some of you are severely stuck on dumb like that youwouldnotknow dude. lol

ANYWHO.................Panther88.xlolx
Check this out.:thumbsup:

Tigers out-hustle COUGS for McGill. (http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070208/SPORTS030101/702080346/1073/SPORTS)

"I was crazy - I couldn't even think straight," McGill said. "I was going to Houston one day in my mind, then Jackson the next. It truly felt like I was going insane."

"It was tough on me - I'm not going to lie," McGill said. "When I told the Houston coach I wasn't going to go there yesterday, I thought he was going to die right there on the phone. Making this decision wasn't easy because I liked both schools a lot."

Panther88
February 8th, 2007, 10:13 AM
ANYWHO.................Panther88.xlolx
Check this out.:thumbsup:

Tigers out-hustle COUGS for McGill. (http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070208/SPORTS030101/702080346/1073/SPORTS)

"I was crazy - I couldn't even think straight," McGill said. "I was going to Houston one day in my mind, then Jackson the next. It truly felt like I was going insane."

"It was tough on me - I'm not going to lie," McGill said. "When I told the Houston coach I wasn't going to go there yesterday, I thought he was going to die right there on the phone. Making this decision wasn't easy because I liked both schools a lot."

Nice catch J83. :thumbsup: Surely the reason he chose JState was because of academic issues and univ of houston was pretty much wasting their time recruiting this guy and all. xidiotx LOL

Such idiots in this forum. lol

lizrdgizrd
February 8th, 2007, 10:13 AM
I know this has little to do with the original question, but is it a true statement that racism doesn't exist on HBCU campuses?

youwouldno
February 8th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Of course it's not a true statement.

lizrdgizrd
February 8th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Of course it's not a true statement.
I'll wait to hear from some folks who are more intimately connected to HBCU campuses before I accept that statement as fact.

Appstate29
February 8th, 2007, 10:29 AM
6'1 220 is a little small, but he looks like he plays lights out, they were saying the same thing about Freeney a while back.

About the whole why choose a small program over an SEC school thing, ASU had a situation that might have been like this one this year. We had been recruiting this CB out of Tennesee and he verbally committed to us. Then Clemson lost 2 of their CBs to other schools, so they swooped in at the last minute (they hadn't shown any interest before) and offered him and he took it. Actually clemson took 2 of our recruits, but that one verbally committed before he decided to take clemsons offer. Maybe PV had been recruiting this guy all along, then Tenn. loses some high powered DE recruits and tries to swoop in at the last minute and take him away, and he decides to stay with the guys that have stuck with him.

youwouldno
February 8th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Why? Are you unaware of human nature?

jstate83
February 8th, 2007, 10:37 AM
I know this has little to do with the original question, but is it a true statement that racism doesn't exist on HBCU campuses?

Then why ask a dumb arse question like that then.
Either your the most sheltered person in the world or you just another "baiter" trying to get more shat started.

Mofo's on this board is a trip. xlolx

jstate83
February 8th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Nice catch J83. :thumbsup: Surely the reason he chose JState was because of academic issues and univ of houston was pretty much wasting their time recruiting this guy and all. xidiotx LOL

Such idiots in this forum. lol

Yep.................Another one just entered with another LOADED question that any adult with an IQ over 2 would know the answer too.
I sure he didn't mean any harm though. xlolx

Anyway..................This guy was going back and fourth with us and Houston.
I'm glad he decided to come to JSU.
We needed this guy and all the other OL-men BAAAAAAAAD. :thumbsup:

youwouldno
February 8th, 2007, 10:43 AM
The problem is that jstate and panther88 don't have IQs over 2...

Bulldog87
February 8th, 2007, 10:44 AM

Let's drop this thread....and stop the insults. The kid chose Prairie View for whatever his reasons were.Agreed. One of the issues that causes some of this is a lack of historical understanding when some of these kids get into this situtation. Everyone isn't the same but lot's of kids are blinded by the bright lights,money,girls and different things that some small colleges can't offer and find out later that this enviornment isn't for them. Some kids just adapt and fit in well. Not picking on Furman as I would later encounter the same thing at USC,back in the early 80's Furman signed a guy that I grew up with like a brother to play football there. When we played up there while I was a student at then SCSC after the game we had occasion to attend a few parties with the FU students. They were nice enough but when we ran across the KA frat that carries the Confederate Flag as one of it's symbols the scene became very uncomfortuable. Ironically my frat Kappa Alpha Psi wears the same colors as Kappa Alpha but clearly that's where the similarities end. My nehibor loved his FU experience and things like this never seemed to bother him. Personally I couldn't take this stuff on a daily basis but to each his own where that's concerned. As far as racism at HBCU's yes it does exist. I've explained here before that as Blacks many of us have some internal racism ie Lightskin vs darkskin,city folk vs country folk etc. Some of even feel that we're more like whites than blacks ie the old saying "the whiteman's ice is colder". Quite often some kids and there familes will state proudly that they'll never allow their kid to attend an HBCU even their own Alma Mater's. This type of scenario is probably the reason that the orginal poster somewhat gleefully worded his post in the manner that he did. It sucks to hear your nehibor that went to SCSU state"I have to give my money to USC now. I'm going to send my kid there. SCSU nor anyother HBCU isn't good enough. Mond you when this guy went to SCSU he couldn't get into any PWC in SC. When some of us HBCU folk come off as racist it's probably more frustration from things like this than anything else. BTW that'Former Bulldog" is no longer allowed on my property.xlolx

jstate83
February 8th, 2007, 10:47 AM
The problem is that jstate and panther88 don't have IQs over 2...

Yep..............And the problem with you is that you been sucking mom's tit a little too long.:nod:
Go play kiddy..........You tired, weak, and basically a brat with nothing more to do than troll on a computer.:nod:
Not even entertaining anymore. xlolx

So posty on .......................Knock yourself out mommas boy:thumbsup:

youwouldno
February 8th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Yep..............And the problem with you is that you been sucking mom's tit a little too long.:nod:
Go play kiddy..........You tired, weak, and basically a brat with nothing more to do than troll on a computer.:nod:
Not even entertaining anymore. xlolx

So posty on to yourself.......................:thumbsup:

I am pretty tired actually. Studying for my law school classes takes a toll. Better advice than your standard suggestion of providing oral sex to football players.

lizrdgizrd
February 8th, 2007, 10:49 AM
As far as racism at HBCU's yes it does exist. I've explained here before that as Blacks many of us have some internal racism ie Lightskin vs darkskin,city folk vs country folk etc. Some of even feel that we're more like whites than blacks ie the old saying "the whiteman's ice is colder". Quite often some kids and there familes will state proudly that they'll never allow their kid to attend an HBCU even their own Alma Mater's. This type of scenario is probably the reason that the orginal poster somewhat gleefully worded his post in the manner that he did. It sucks to hear your nehibor that went to SCSU state"I have to give my money to USC now. I'm going to send my kid there. SCSU nor anyother HBCU isn't good enough. Mond you when this guy went to SCSU he couldn't get into any PWC in SC. When some of us HBCU folk come off as racist it's probably more frustration from things like this than anything else. BTW that'Former Bulldog" is no longer allowed on my property.xlolx
Thanks for taking my question seriously and answering it honestly. It's a shame when some people don't bother taking the time to help some of us understand situations we're not exposed to.

bandl
February 8th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Agreed. One of the issues that causes some of this is a lack of historical understanding when some of these kids get into this situtation. Everyone isn't the same but lot's of kids are blinded by the bright lights,money,girls and different things that some small colleges can't offer and find out later that this enviornment isn't for them. Some kids just adapt and fit in well. Not picking on Furman as I would later encounter the same thing at USC,back in the early 80's Furman signed a guy that I grew up with like a brother to play football there. When we played up there while I was a student at then SCSC after the game we had occasion to attend a few parties with the FU students. They were nice enough but when we ran across the KA frat that carries the Confederate Flag as one of it's symbols the scene became very uncomfortuable. Ironically my frat Kappa Alpha Psi wears the same colors as Kappa Alpha but clearly that's where the similarities end. My nehibor loved his FU experience and things like this never seemed to bother him. Personally I couldn't take this stuff on a daily basis but to each his own where that's concerned. As far as racism at HBCU's yes it does exist. I've explained here before that as Blacks many of us have some internal racism ie Lightskin vs darkskin,city folk vs country folk etc. Some of even feel that we're more like whites than blacks ie the old saying "the whiteman's ice is colder". Quite often some kids and there familes will state proudly that they'll never allow their kid to attend an HBCU even their own Alma Mater's. This type of scenario is probably the reason that the orginal poster somewhat gleefully worded his post in the manner that he did. It sucks to hear your nehibor that went to SCSU state"I have to give my money to USC now. I'm going to send my kid there. SCSU nor anyother HBCU isn't good enough. Mond you when this guy went to SCSU he couldn't get into any PWC in SC. When some of us HBCU folk come off as racist it's probably more frustration from things like this than anything else. BTW that'Former Bulldog" is no longer allowed on my property.xlolx
You don't post much Bulldog, but when you do you're a damn fine poster. :nod: Thanks for the insight. Rep points for you. :thumbsup:

Appstate29
February 8th, 2007, 10:56 AM
As far as racism at HBCU's yes it does exist. I've explained here before that as Blacks many of us have some internal racism ie Lightskin vs darkskin,city folk vs country folk etc. Some of even feel that we're more like whites than blacks ie the old saying "the whiteman's ice is colder". Quite often some kids and there familes will state proudly that they'll never allow their kid to attend an HBCU even their own Alma Mater's. This type of scenario is probably the reason that the orginal poster somewhat gleefully worded his post in the manner that he did. It sucks to hear your nehibor that went to SCSU state"I have to give my money to USC now. I'm going to send my kid there. SCSU nor anyother HBCU isn't good enough. Mond you when this guy went to SCSU he couldn't get into any PWC in SC. When some of us HBCU folk come off as racist it's probably more frustration from things like this than anything else. BTW that'Former Bulldog" is no longer allowed on my property.xlolx

I think its a sign of the times more than anything. As much as I lament the gradual decline of HBCUs, other schools are now actively recruiting blacks and other minorities. They are pushing very hard for this. As more and more blacks go to more mainstream colleges, HBCUs become less and less important. To hear Panther88 though, he'd rather have the schools back in the 60s segregated by race, which I think would be a huge misstep.

Tribe4SF
February 8th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Wow! Another thread that hit a steep downslope.:(

If you read Jeremiah's comments on his choice, his reasons are very understandable. He wants to play right away because he missed his senior year...he was very comfortable at PVU...he didn't trust what alot of schools were telling him...if you're good enough, the NFL will find you.

Here's to Jeremiah!!!:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Panther88
February 8th, 2007, 11:30 AM
I think its a sign of the times more than anything. As much as I lament the gradual decline of HBCUs, other schools are now actively recruiting blacks and other minorities. They are pushing very hard for this. As more and more blacks go to more mainstream colleges, HBCUs become less and less important. To hear Panther88 though, he'd rather have the schools back in the 60s segregated by race, which I think would be a huge misstep.

Show me where I said that boy! Show me. I'll be waiting. I'm not certain about that perceived "decline" that you speak of either. We've gotten stronger academically over the years but it's the athletics that's faultered due to integration. Can't refute history.

Sorry if I stepped on your pale toes by telling the truth about the antagonistic environment and unsocial environment that does indeed exist on quite a few of your campii. (sic lol)

Next!

Sir William
February 8th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Bottom line...if Prairie View landed a good recruit, congrats to Prairie View and good luck. But remember, one good player does not equal a good team.

Let's end this thread by agreeing on two facts:

One...Martin Luther King was a great American and a great man for whom we all can be thankful.

Two...OJ did it.

Laugh, take it easy, and move on.

citdog
February 8th, 2007, 03:35 PM
When we played SCSU in 1989 the President of the O'Burg Little Dogs sent our President a letter demanding that The Citadel not play "Dixie" or have any flags of the glorious, former Confederacy present. Gen. Grimsley sent her a letter back saying that if SCSU's defense was any good they wouldn't hear "Dixie" we won like EVERY time we have played the O'Burg Little Dogs. Game was in Columbia because of Hugo.

SU Jag
February 8th, 2007, 03:39 PM

I diagree 100%! Overall student population at HBCU are up, way up! The only kids who arent really attending are these "elite" black football and basketball players. Check the stats out App! HBCUs are soaring right now, so much that the enrollment of whites are on a real increase. HBCUs are more important now as they ever were!

citdog
February 8th, 2007, 04:03 PM
If that was true then the final four this year will be FAMU, GSU, SCSU, and Howard. Don't see that happening!

SU Jag
February 8th, 2007, 04:06 PM
If that was true then the final four this year will be FAMU, GSU, SCSU, and Howard. Don't see that happening!

You obviously didnt read my post!xcoffeex

lizrdgizrd
February 8th, 2007, 04:07 PM
You obviously didnt read my post!xcoffeex
You forgot to put HOOOAH! at the end of it. He just ignores them without that. :smiley_wi

SU Jag
February 8th, 2007, 04:10 PM
You forgot to put HOOOAH! at the end of it. He just ignores them without that. :smiley_wi

Got cha!:nod:

citdog
February 8th, 2007, 04:40 PM
He's right!

lizrdgizrd
February 8th, 2007, 05:12 PM
He's right!
See, SU Jag, he noticed that post! But he won't see this one. :smiley_wi xlolx

Dane96
February 8th, 2007, 06:39 PM
I diagree 100%! Overall student population at HBCU are up, way up! The only kids who arent really attending are these "elite" black football and basketball players. Check the stats out App! HBCUs are soaring right now, so much that the enrollment of whites are on a real increase. HBCUs are more important now as they ever were!

That is a loaded statement. APPS ARE UP EVERYWHERE. In fact, public schools are becoming more and more selective because of the APP increase. Getting into "STATE U" is much more difficult than applying and your in.

WHY?

More children are being born....

Mr. Tiger
February 8th, 2007, 08:09 PM

You are correct. Many HBCUs have seen enrollment increases over the last 5 to 10 years and it has nothing to do with more children being born. xlolx. Many HBCUs have been actively recruiting international and white students and working hard to improve diversity. Many have redefined or updated their missions to attract students who would have been headed to other schools. This has led to the higher enrollment figures.

Dane96
February 8th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Good lord. Mr. Tiger, I work with THE MONITOR on a daily basis. The MONITOR IS THE BIBLE WITH COLLEGIATE STATISTICS. It is based in Cambridge, MA.

Facts, are, there are more students, physical students, now that ever before. Hence, the population is growing. Students, are being rejected because of over fulfillment of their Universities.

Hence, schools which would be NON-TRADITIONAL at some schools, e.g. White and International students at an HBCU, are looking for OTHER OPTIONS besides good Ol' State U or a "FAMOUS" private school.

Additionally, Unvirsities are becoming more and more program specific. Hence, a student may go to a school because of a program, even if he/she would be non-traditional at that school.

Finally, a college degree is much like a high school degree in the 70's and 80's these days. Increasingly, graduate school has become of great importance and thus, we see students going anywhere for undergrad and being more specific with graduate school choices (much like students in the 70's and 80's and 90's were with undergrad choices.

For the record, Jackson State was a client of mine...so I understand the dynamics. Howard...one of my biggest clients. I worked for what was the largest Collegiate Servicing company in the world (a publicaly traded corp) as a SENIOR MANAGER. I dealt with this stuff for many years.

Believe me, more babies being born has adversely overloaded our institutions.

SU Jag
February 8th, 2007, 09:08 PM

Damn! As I read that more and more, I'm like WTF?:confused: :eek: Where in the hell are you getting this info?

BigApp
February 8th, 2007, 09:53 PM
I think this kid will win SWAC POTY and DPOTY 4 consecutive years, lead them to 4 straight SWAC championships and 4 consecutive white AND black National Championships, win the Heisman, and 1st team All-American (white and black) 4 years in a row.

then, he'll be the #1 overall draft pick, be All-Pro every year he plays professionally, a 1st ballot Hall of Famer, and win 10 Super Bowl MVP's.

Mr. Tiger
February 8th, 2007, 11:32 PM
Good lord. Mr. Tiger, I work with THE MONITOR on a daily basis. The MONITOR IS THE BIBLE WITH COLLEGIATE STATISTICS. It is based in Cambridge, MA.

Facts, are, there are more students, physical students, now that ever before. Hence, the population is growing. Students, are being rejected because of over fulfillment of their Universities.

Hence, schools which would be NON-TRADITIONAL at some schools, e.g. White and International students at an HBCU, are looking for OTHER OPTIONS besides good Ol' State U or a "FAMOUS" private school.

Additionally, Unvirsities are becoming more and more program specific. Hence, a student may go to a school because of a program, even if he/she would be non-traditional at that school.
Finally, a college degree is much like a high school degree in the 70's and 80's these days. Increasingly, graduate school has become of great importance and thus, we see students going anywhere for undergrad and being more specific with graduate school choices (much like students in the 70's and 80's and 90's were with undergrad choices.

For the record, Jackson State was a client of mine...so I understand the dynamics. Howard...one of my biggest clients. I worked for what was the largest Collegiate Servicing company in the world (a publicaly traded corp) as a SENIOR MANAGER. I dealt with this stuff for many years.

Believe me, more babies being born has adversely overloaded our institutions.

My statement was also based on years of on-the-job experience and research, but I will not go into my resume. I was merely pointing out that many HBCUs have redefined their missions and created new programs to attract more students. Sure, there is a larger pool of students, traditional and non-traditional, out there, I agree with that statement, but if say Jackson State did not redefine itself from an institution that focused on the field of Education, no matter how large the pool of college-bound students has grown, JSU's enrollment would not increase.

grizband
February 9th, 2007, 12:48 AM
In response to the statement earlier that HBCUs are the only universities where a black student will feel no racism, I pose this question: would a white student who attended an HBCU experience racism as a member of the minority on campus? If so, would this racism be an effect of inherrent feelings of the blacks on campus towards whites, or would it be due to belonging to the minority?

jstate83
February 9th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Amazing how a thread about P.View getting a quality athelete has been spun into an indictment on the Quality of an HBCU education, Black Racism, and how HBCU's are becomming less important.

I just gotta laugh....................xlolx

Oh...............and BTW:xlolx
JSU has white student's all over the place on a day to day basis.
Believe it or not........WE ALSO HAVE WHITE PROFESSOR'S and PROFESSIONAL'S ON LOAN from various businesses and institutions teaching our students.: smh :

I have not seen one WHITE FACE PARTY, ONE WALLY CLEVER PARTY, ONE ACT LIKE A SPOILED WHITE SURBURB KID PARTY, or 1 PROTEST ABOUT WHITE STUDENTS GETTING INTO JSU ON THE "RAISE THE NON-BLACK STUDENT POPULATION ON JSU CAMPUS PROGRAM" set out in the guidelines of the AYRES Lawsuit.:eyebrow:

Unreal. xlolx

jstate83
February 9th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Damn! As I read that more and more, I'm like WTF?:confused: :eek: Where in the hell are you getting this info?

Handed down from Uncle Festus.xlolx

3rd Coast Tiger
February 9th, 2007, 10:43 AM
This is sad.... typical.... but still sad.

Bulldog87
February 9th, 2007, 11:20 AM
When we played SCSU in 1989 the President of the O'Burg Little Dogs sent our President a letter demanding that The Citadel not play "Dixie" or have any flags of the glorious, former Confederacy present. Gen. Grimsley sent her a letter back saying that if SCSU's defense was any good they wouldn't hear "Dixie" we won like EVERY time we have played the O'Burg Little Dogs. Game was in Columbia because of Hugo.You won the battle not the war. The other battles took place on your soil. The "Big Dogs" are opposed to coming to Orangeburg. Sorry,I forgot that Johhny Reb doen't like venture NORTH of Summerville but so often. See his road record at Wofford,App State,Furman etc.. A few games in the beautiful confines of Oliver C. Dawson Bulldog Stadium will likely end in similiar fashion for the Lowcountry pups.xlolx Carry on.

citdog
February 9th, 2007, 12:01 PM
I really enjoy beating y'all. I would be happy to write another W in pen on the schedule.

Bulldog87
February 9th, 2007, 12:50 PM
I really enjoy beating y'all. I would be happy to write another W in pen on the schedule.We'll send you guys an invite to Orangeburgfor a game in the next couple of seasons and roll out the garnet and blue carpet for you.:smiley_wi

grizband
February 9th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Amazing how a thread about P.View getting a quality athelete has been spun into an indictment on the Quality of an HBCU education, Black Racism, and how HBCU's are becomming less important.

I just gotta laugh....................xlolx

Oh...............and BTW:xlolx
JSU has white student's all over the place on a day to day basis.
Believe it or not........WE ALSO HAVE WHITE PROFESSOR'S and PROFESSIONAL'S ON LOAN from various businesses and institutions teaching our students.: smh :

I have not seen one WHITE FACE PARTY, ONE WALLY CLEVER PARTY, ONE ACT LIKE A SPOILED WHITE SURBURB KID PARTY, or 1 PROTEST ABOUT WHITE STUDENTS GETTING INTO JSU ON THE "RAISE THE NON-BLACK STUDENT POPULATION ON JSU CAMPUS PROGRAM" set out in the guidelines of the AYRES Lawsuit.:eyebrow:

Unreal. xlolx
I wasn't implying that whites would feel racism, just wanted to get the opinion of someone who would know more about HBCUs than myself, since I know virtually nothing about the subject. By the way, I agree that this thread has taken a wild tangent from the original topic, about Prairie View getting a great recruit. Congrats to them for picking up this sought after player.

BLUE TIGER
February 10th, 2007, 12:12 AM
Agreed. One of the issues that causes some of this is a lack of historical understanding when some of these kids get into this situtation. Everyone isn't the same but lot's of kids are blinded by the bright lights,money,girls and different things that some small colleges can't offer and find out later that this enviornment isn't for them. Some kids just adapt and fit in well. Not picking on Furman as I would later encounter the same thing at USC,back in the early 80's Furman signed a guy that I grew up with like a brother to play football there. When we played up there while I was a student at then SCSC after the game we had occasion to attend a few parties with the FU students. They were nice enough but when we ran across the KA frat that carries the Confederate Flag as one of it's symbols the scene became very uncomfortuable. Ironically my frat Kappa Alpha Psi wears the same colors as Kappa Alpha but clearly that's where the similarities end. My nehibor loved his FU experience and things like this never seemed to bother him. Personally I couldn't take this stuff on a daily basis but to each his own where that's concerned. As far as racism at HBCU's yes it does exist. I've explained here before that as Blacks many of us have some internal racism ie Lightskin vs darkskin,city folk vs country folk etc. Some of even feel that we're more like whites than blacks ie the old saying "the whiteman's ice is colder". Quite often some kids and there familes will state proudly that they'll never allow their kid to attend an HBCU even their own Alma Mater's. This type of scenario is probably the reason that the orginal poster somewhat gleefully worded his post in the manner that he did. It sucks to hear your nehibor that went to SCSU state"I have to give my money to USC now. I'm going to send my kid there. SCSU nor anyother HBCU isn't good enough. Mond you when this guy went to SCSU he couldn't get into any PWC in SC. When some of us HBCU folk come off as racist it's probably more frustration from things like this than anything else. BTW that'Former Bulldog" is no longer allowed on my property.xlolx

In other words black folks wouldn't matter today if not for HBCU's. We'd be pushing brooms at Furman, Ole Miss, Tennessee, and etc. talking bout " I wonder when they gone let us go to school." I guess the education that Oprah got from an HBCU meant nothing as well. There are "only" 3 black billionaires in America and 2 of them are HBCU alumni.

My wife is at Vanderbilt on full scholarship earning a PhD in molecular biology, and she is taking heavy abuse from white folks every week. They can't get over the fact that she's a black female, has a BS and MS in biology from Jackson State, four kids, a son who recently had a third heart surgery, and manages to rank in the top of her class. She tells me all the time how she miss being at JSU. Why? She didn't have to put up with all the insults.

BTW, her dream job is to become a full-time professor at JSU. Now thats what I call giving back to the community. Help those that have helped you and yours. This is what those young athletes don't understand. Somebody paved the way for them, but they could care less because they'd rather be bought.

Sir William
February 10th, 2007, 08:15 AM
My wife is at Vanderbilt on full scholarship earning a PhD in molecular biology, and she is taking heavy abuse from white folks every week. They can't get over the fact that she's a black female, has a BS and MS in biology from Jackson State, four kids, a son who recently had a third heart surgery, and manages to rank in the top of her class. She tells me all the time how she miss being at JSU. Why? She didn't have to put up with all the insults.

You know, a person can go to any city (like Nashville, for example...or New York City, or Atlanta, or Chicago, etc) and find whatever he's looking for. If he looks for crime, hostility, drugs, cynicism, etc., he will find it. On the other hand, if he's looking for kindness, ethical behavior, optimism, etc., he will find that too.

Maybe your wife has simply found that for which she is looking. If indeed, your wife is as "accomplished" as you say she is, I would think she would be a little less childishly sensitive and a little more honorably mature. If she is so sensitive to any look, word, or gesture that she comes home everyday boo-hooing that somebody has hurt her wee little feelings, then maybe she ought to just quit Vandy. :bawling: (I seriously doubt Vandy and its people are the problem.)

People who constantly complain about how they are treated in life need to get a life, grow up quickly and get an understanding that nobody owes them anything, including respect...that must be earned through character; it most certainly is never earned through bitter languishing and whining, regardless of how many academic degrees one may have attained.

Until the return of Christ, there will always be an element of racism in society...and on all sides of the color spectrum. Racism is wrong, but at the same time a reality. Yet, not all are racists. The bottom line: grow up, wise up, and quit your moaning, or you'll never get anywhere in life, even with a doctoral degree in molecular biology. A real HBCU alum would agree and would be ashamed of this whole thread.

Panther88
February 10th, 2007, 11:46 AM
You know, a person can go to any city (like Nashville, for example...or New York City, or Atlanta, or Chicago, etc) and find whatever he's looking for. If he looks for crime, hostility, drugs, cynicism, etc., he will find it. On the other hand, if he's looking for kindness, ethical behavior, optimism, etc., he will find that too.

Maybe your wife has simply found that for which she is looking. If indeed, your wife is as "accomplished" as you say she is, I would think she would be a little less childishly sensitive and a little more honorably mature. If she is so sensitive to any look, word, or gesture that she comes home everyday boo-hooing that somebody has hurt her wee little feelings, then maybe she ought to just quit Vandy. :bawling: (I seriously doubt Vandy and its people are the problem.)

People who constantly complain about how they are treated in life need to get a life, grow up quickly and get an understanding that nobody owes them anything, including respect...that must be earned through character; it most certainly is never earned through bitter languishing and whining, regardless of how many academic degrees one may have attained.

Until the return of Christ, there will always be an element of racism in society...and on all sides of the color spectrum. Racism is wrong, but at the same time a reality. Yet, not all are racists. The bottom line: grow up, wise up, and quit your moaning, or you'll never get anywhere in life, even with a doctoral degree in molecular biology. A real HBCU alum would agree and would be ashamed of this whole thread.

holy ****!

Dane96
February 10th, 2007, 12:29 PM
I am shocked this thread is still open.

GoldandBlack
February 10th, 2007, 01:07 PM

Ditto - can't decide whether the thread should be moved to AGS Lounge or FCS Smack - it's a long way from Prarie View, that's for sure.: smh :

GOTOREROS
February 10th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Can't we all just get along?????

Sir William
February 10th, 2007, 01:38 PM

My sentiments exactly.

BLUE TIGER
February 10th, 2007, 06:17 PM

Yep, you're one of them too.xcoffeex