PDA

View Full Version : Gateway meeting with Dakota schools on 2.19.07

igo4uni
February 6th, 2007, 09:33 PM
"Discussions will take on a more serious tenor Feb. 19 when officials from all the affected parties meet face to face.

"I would characterize our interest as serious and mutual," said Gateway Conference commissioner Patty Viverito.

"It's really been a case of, 'We've got an opportunity here that might be to our mutual benefit, and let's explore this.' It's been more of an open dialogue than us courting them or them lobbying us."

http://www.wcfcourier.com/articles/2007/02/06/sports/local/doc45c896a1451f6421017164.txt

No_Skill
February 6th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Can't wait to see what comes out of this.

BisBison
February 6th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Crossing my fingers too. But I liked the comment about getting the Dakota schools now on our terms, rather than waiting a few years and trying to get in on their terms.

HI54UNI
February 6th, 2007, 10:05 PM
I hope the Gateway can make this work! :thumbsup:

89rabbit
February 6th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Just needed to correct a fact about our attendance at the end of the story.

SDSU avg. 9,652 fans for our home games last season.

http://gojacks.sdstate.edu/fbstats2006.htm

February 6th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Hear Patty Viverito talk all through this on CSN WAVES

WYOBISONMAN
February 6th, 2007, 11:20 PM
Let's DO IT!!

BearsCountry
February 7th, 2007, 12:04 AM
I hope the Gateway can make this work! :thumbsup:

I hope so too, my schools adminstration might block it though. :(

Fresno St. Alum
February 7th, 2007, 12:23 AM
Why would the schools in the Gateway want to block it? When you have a 7 member conference you are at risk of not existing in the near future, ask the NCC. I have heard rumors of S.Illinois going to the MAC and Missouri St. going to the Sun Belt, just rumors now but could become true someday.

BearsCountry
February 7th, 2007, 01:08 AM
Why would the schools in the Gateway want to block it? When you have a 7 member conference you are at risk of not existing in the near future, ask the NCC. I have heard rumors of S.Illinois going to the MAC and Missouri St. going to the Sun Belt, just rumors now but could become true someday.

Its not the threat of losing members, its competition for the most part. Gateway is a war every week, dog eat dog conference. They really dont want to add 2 more members to lose out on the playoff spots that they have.

Also add to the rumors that MVC might remerge on the FBS level.

Fresno St. Alum
February 7th, 2007, 02:02 AM
Your whole conference might move to I-A? Where did you hear that? When will it happen.

February 7th, 2007, 02:55 AM
Hear Patty Viverito talk all through this on CSN WAVEShttp://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=82353

Patty sez it will be announced 2/19 or by June if 2008 GFC is in the cards for the NDSU/SDSU.

February 7th, 2007, 03:02 AM
Your whole conference might move to I-A? Where did you hear that? When will it happen.He said the MVC might go FBS. Drake, Illinois St, Indiana St, MSU, UNI, SIU. xcoffeex

crunifan
February 7th, 2007, 01:35 PM
To be honest, having the MVC as a FBS conference would be the next and best step in having the MVC viewed as one of the premeire conferences in the nation. Especially if they could become competitive at that level.

But, who knows if that will every happen.

DUPFLFan
February 7th, 2007, 02:19 PM
He said the MVC might go FBS. Drake, Illinois St, Indiana St, MSU, UNI, SIU. xcoffeex

I am sure that Drake will not be going FBS... :eyebrow:

February 7th, 2007, 02:35 PM
I am sure that Drake will not be going FBS... :eyebrow:and neither will the MVC add football and go FBS any time soon.:twocents:

SO ILLmatic
February 7th, 2007, 04:55 PM

SIU is fully committed to the Valley & the Gateway. Even after the past couple of years we have had success in football, it is still a daunting task to get fans in the seats. That may change as we continue to improve and get our new stadium, but the ground hasnt even been broken yet.

Also the MAC would want probably want us for all sports. Its hard to find a school & team more committed to basketball than SIU. But who knows what the future holds? If another conference shake up takes place, alot of schools may find themselves in different places.

But in terms of the Dakota's, I know a couple of posters have stated that SIU may vote no on expansion. I know that the SIU administration, AD, coaches, & fans support the Dakota's coming to the Gateway in 08.

Fresno St. Alum
February 7th, 2007, 05:09 PM
The MAC wants SIU and W.Kentucky for all sports. If that happens kick Temple football out of another conference. Put Temple in the CAA, they might win 1 or 2 that way.

bigd
February 7th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Will the Dakotas ever join the MVC?

RabidRabbit
February 7th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Will the Dakotas ever join the MVC?

NDSU/SDSU are a year from starting in the Mid-Con. I believe there are huge penalties to move out before 10 years in Mid-COn.

Personally, I see the Mid-Con getting converted into an equal conference with the MoValley by then. (I also see UND/USD in the Mid-Con in about 4-7 years) :thumbsup:

Alrighty fellow xDSU'er's blast away xlolx xlolx

Bison05
February 7th, 2007, 06:07 PM
NDSU/SDSU are a year from starting in the Mid-Con. I believe there are huge penalties to move out before 10 years in Mid-COn.

Personally, I see the Mid-Con getting converted into an equal conference with the MoValley by then. (I also see UND/USD in the Mid-Con in about 4-7 years) :thumbsup:

I think the Mid-con would be lucky to be a 2 bid conference in 10 years, let alone on the same level as the MVC. I can guarentee you that if NDSU ever got an invite from the MVC, we would accept in a sec, no matter how high the penalty was.

Hammersmith
February 7th, 2007, 06:27 PM
FYI, the penalty for leaving the Mid-Con before the 2015-16 season(8 years) will be $500,000. MVC would be worth it, Big Sky would not.

Fresno St. Alum
February 7th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Both would be worth it, the MidCon is just as bad as the ASC. If a couple of MVC teams leave like SIU and Mo St. to the MAC or Sun Belt whatever they XDSU's could get in

BearsCountry
February 7th, 2007, 08:15 PM
SIU wont be going to MAC or MSU to the Sun Belt. MSU would move to CUSA in heartbeat though. I still think you will see the MVC restart football at the FBS level. Why? To give the league the major conference feel that it needs to complete what it has started with basketball. Most of you have no clue what it feels like to be close to the majors so FCS and Mid-Major status fits you.

igo4uni
February 7th, 2007, 10:11 PM
Most of you have no clue what it feels like to be close to the majors so FCS and Mid-Major status fits you.

That is a very condescending statement. I would prefer to stay in FCS for football because we have the chance to play for a national championship every year.

igo4uni
February 9th, 2007, 10:29 PM
That is a very condescending statement. I would prefer to stay in FCS for football because we have the chance to play for a national championship every year.

yes, i agree. igo4uni is a brilliant poster.

February 10th, 2007, 02:15 AM
...Most of you have no clue what it feels like to be close to the majors so FCS and Mid-Major status fits you.The smack board is over there Mr. Major xidiotx ----------------->

Mountaineer
February 10th, 2007, 02:33 AM
Most of you have no clue what it feels like to be close to the majors so FCS and Mid-Major status fits you.

xlolx xlolx

Indeed, when I think of major basketball teams in major power conferences the Missouri State (or is Soutwest, Northeast, Westeast Missouri State?) basketball team leaps instantly to mind. :rolleyes: ;)

SO ILLmatic
February 10th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Actually in terms of basketball, a majority of the sports analysts & reporters consider the Valley to now be the 7th MAJOR conference in the country. In terms of fans that support Valley teams, we would rather be referred to as a major conference than a mid-major conference.

MplsBison
February 10th, 2007, 01:25 PM

No blasting needed, your analysis is correct.

crunifan
February 10th, 2007, 03:33 PM
xlolx xlolx

Indeed, when I think of major basketball teams in major power conferences the Missouri State (or is Soutwest, Northeast, Westeast Missouri State?) basketball team leaps instantly to mind. :rolleyes: ;)

Yeah, only getting four teams in the NCAA tournament last year. Only two to the Sweet Sixteen. Oh utterly boring is life in MVC basketball.

I mean, when you see all over dozen or so games on ESPN, people really wonder why Missouri State, or is is Southwest? on TV they wonder who is playing. I mean, it's almost like being Appalachian State. Most people don't even know it's a school!:eek:

Shockerman
February 10th, 2007, 03:59 PM
xlolx xlolx

Granted, they will always be SWMOSTU in my heart, but how many sweet sixteens elite eights or final fours has your school been to? Have they ever won a game in the dance? You can mock MO-State about their Football but please, lay off the basketball talk.

Mountaineer
February 10th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Yeah, only getting four teams in the NCAA tournament last year. Only two to the Sweet Sixteen. Oh utterly boring is life in MVC basketball.

I mean, when you see all over dozen or so games on ESPN, people really wonder why Missouri State, or is is Southwest? on TV they wonder who is playing. I mean, it's almost like being Appalachian State. Most people don't even know it's a school!:eek:

Hey, I only call it like I see it. If the MVC wants to consider themselves "big boy" basketball, feel free to do so. :thumbsup: Sweet 16. Wow! First and second round exits. Sweet!

However, to the general populace it doesn't fly, especially down here in ACC and SEC land. xlolx

A lot of people have no idea about many of the teams in the FCS unless they're flagships of the state so that's nothing new. My two years at UNI - I was constantly asked "Northern Idaho, Northern Indiana?" so I wouldn't consider the Panthers having fantastic name recognition either. :read: xcoffeex

Mountaineer
February 10th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Granted, they will always be SWMOSTU in my heart, but how many sweet sixteens elite eights or final fours has your school been to? Have they ever won a game in the dance? You can mock MO-State about their Football but please, lay off the basketball talk.

ASU has never been past the first round. xlolx xlolx But then I've never claimed ASU to be anywhere near a basketball school.

Just saying - 65 teams make in it - generally 2 are actually going to be remembered by most folks as the years go by. :thumbsup:

BigApp
February 10th, 2007, 04:37 PM
The MAC wants SIU and W.Kentucky for all sports.

WKentucky just joined the SunBelt for all sports.

Shockerman
February 10th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Hey, I only call it like I see it. If the MVC wants to consider themselves "big boy" basketball, feel free to do so. :thumbsup: Sweet 16. Wow! First and second round exits. Sweet!

However, to the general populace it doesn't fly, especially down here in ACC and SEC land. xlolx

A lot of people have no idea about many of the teams in the FCS unless they're flagships of the state so that's nothing new. My two years at UNI - I was constantly asked "Northern Idaho, Northern Indiana?" so I wouldn't consider the Panthers having fantastic name recognition either. :read: xcoffeex

We have you guys coming to Koch arena for Bracket Busters. Wonder if you will remember us after your beat down! Joking aside, APP has my envy as they run a great football program, and Football is king.

Fresno St. Alum
February 12th, 2007, 03:06 AM
WKentucky just joined the SunBelt for all sports.
I'm aware of WKU going I-A and being in the sun belt, but for 3 years I've heard that if WKU and or SIU moved I-A that the MAC was very interested in them. I don't know how much Temple being in the MAC for football screws with that, but we'll see.

bcrawf
February 12th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Have they ever won a game in the dance? You can mock MO-State about their Football but please, lay off the basketball talk.

UNI has won a game in the Dance. 14-seed UNI beat 3-seed Missouri in 1990. 77-74 on a last second three by Maurice Newby...

We have been to the last three and are 0-3 with all three losses coming by 5 points. Lost to 3-seed Georgia Tech (National Runner-Up), 6-seed Wisconsin (Elite 8), and 7-seedGeorgetown (Sweet 16)

BearsCountry
February 12th, 2007, 11:50 AM
UNI has won a game in the Dance. 14-seed UNI beat 3-seed Missouri in 1990. 77-74 on a last second three by Maurice Newby...

We have been to the last three and are 0-3 with all three losses coming by 5 points. Lost to 3-seed Georgia Tech (National Runner-Up), 6-seed Wisconsin (Elite 8), and 7-seedGeorgetown (Sweet 16)

Talking about App State not UNI.

bcrawf
February 12th, 2007, 11:55 AM
I am an idiot, sorry...

BisBison
February 12th, 2007, 12:39 PM
actually the title of this thread is "Gateway meeting with the Dakota schools on 2.19.07". That's my concern at this time. Is the vote going to happen this month or not? Any input from those of you in the "know"?