PDA

View Full Version : End of APSU Curse.....

Skyhawk71
September 27th, 2017, 04:38 PM
My friends who where at Austin Peay when they dropped scholarship football always referred to the "twenty year curse," and they all believe it has come to an end, albeit may have taken longer than twenty years. 2nd year coach, new stadium & weight room facilities large city close to Nashville, there is the perfect storm for APSU to become relevant in the OVC sooner, rather than later. The Govs are 2-0 vs. FCS opponents, and have brought a spread version of the triple option to the OVC. 2-2, with high offensive production is outstanding, with two FBS losses (Cincy 26-14, Miami (OH) 31-10). This is new and improved APSU football without a doubt. Don't know if there are any APSU Govs on the board, but would like to hear their take, or any Racers that may have seen last weeks game. This Saturday, will be closer than the experts think.........xcoffeex
Offensive:
15/18 Red Zone Scores

6.0 yards per play average

289.5 per game rushing

410.8 per game total offense

Schism55
September 27th, 2017, 05:00 PM
Nice breakdown.
Lord know the OVC needs better teams sooner than later ;)

GodHelpTheBears
September 27th, 2017, 05:25 PM
Nice breakdown.
Lord know the OVC needs better teams sooner than later ;)

It helps APSU that there's really only one great team in their conference. When you play 4 every year, it is very hard to find a crack to try and burst through, especially when you can't really add to the resources you have.

Mocs123
September 27th, 2017, 09:53 PM
Will Healey and Marcus West are both good coaches and fantastic recruiters. I hated to see them both leave Chattanooga, but think they will build a decent program at Peay.

JSUSoutherner
September 27th, 2017, 10:35 PM
Personally I hope UTM wins out (with the exception of JSU, obviously). It would be nice to see APSU finish at 7-4 with a win over TSU and TSU win the rest of their other games not against JSU. If that happened we would probably have 4 ranked OVC teams.

mamberso
September 28th, 2017, 08:52 AM
APSU currently has the 6th rated defense in FCS (YPG). That is especially impressive given they have played two FBS teams (Miami U & Cincinnati) and a traditionally powerful offense (Murray St). If a team has a great defense, they have a chance to win most games. Is APSU's defense great? We'll find out the next two weeks when they play UTM and JSU. But this shouldn't be too much of a surprise. APSU has had excellent recruting classes both of the last two years. It's too bad the ESPN game will be TSU-EIU this week. The game of the week in the conference is clearly UTM-APSU.

JSUSoutherner
September 28th, 2017, 09:04 AM
APSU currently has the 6th rated defense in FCS (YPG). That is especially impressive given they have played two FBS teams (Miami U & Cincinnati) and a traditionally powerful offense (Murray St). If a team has a great defense, they have a chance to win most games. Is APSU's defense great? We'll find out the next two weeks when they play UTM and JSU. But this shouldn't be too much of a surprise. APSU has had excellent recruting classes both of the last two years. It's too bad the ESPN game will be TSU-EIU this week. The game of the week in the conference is clearly UTM-APSU.

Can't really blame the OVC for picking the EIU TSU game. Those two team are traditionally two of the better teams in the conference and these early games were decided in the pre-season. Who would have thought APSU would be possibly contending with a top dog in the OVC? No one.

fmftballmgr
September 28th, 2017, 05:06 PM
I was only ale to listen to the first quarter of the game since I had a class reunion later that night. First quarter they kicked our @$$ and was glad I did not have to listen to any more of it. I thought this year our defense would be better which it is they have had no help from our offense the past couple of weeks. I also thought if we could get our qb situation took care of early we could contend. Opps guess wrong on that one

fmftballmgr
September 28th, 2017, 05:08 PM
Will Healey and Marcus West are both good coaches and fantastic recruiters. I hated to see them both leave Chattanooga, but think they will build a decent program at Peay.

Or they will be picked up by a bigger school before they see the true end result

Milktruck74
September 28th, 2017, 08:02 PM
Glad to see Them doing well. I went on a visit there in 92, 5 of us from the same prep team. They tried really hard (including a trip to the Cat's Meow, or something like that) but non of us wanted to spend the next 4 years losing. I was up there for the Gymnastics State Championship in March and things really had changed. The facilities looked nice. The students seemed to have a little spirit, saw quite a few tshirts and hats with the logo as I walked around. I got the feeling things are turning for them.

Milktruck74
September 28th, 2017, 08:09 PM
Or they will be picked up by a bigger school before they see the true end result

Healey has to win 7 games before he leaves. If he builds a winning program (3 winning seasons or so) he can probably drop into a FBS coordinator slot...and that may be a faster route to a P5 job. He is a hot topic in coaching circles right now, and I'm sure he will have callers after this year (probably had them after last season), but he is still a gamble, and the longer he waits (and wins) the better the offers will get. He is a smart kid, and he has surrounded himself with mentors over the years. He will be a big name soon, but not too soon.

Mike296
September 28th, 2017, 09:07 PM
APSU are on the rise and I'm happy to see it happen now, I've always had a soft spot for them because of the College Hoops 2k games back then where I'd turn them into a powerhouse that could compete with the P5 schools. Looks like JSU might have some competition soon :) .

JSUSoutherner
September 28th, 2017, 09:50 PM
APSU are on the rise and I'm happy to see it happen now, I've always had a soft spot for them because of the College Hoops 2k games back then where I'd turn them into a powerhouse that could compete with the P5 schools. Looks like JSU might have some competition soon :) .
https://media2.giphy.com/media/26BRNewWczBInMDhm/giphy.gif

Mike296
September 28th, 2017, 09:51 PM
https://media2.giphy.com/media/26BRNewWczBInMDhm/giphy.gif

I just opened up another can of worms that I shouldn't have..... god dammit

Sandlapper Spike
September 29th, 2017, 09:52 AM
"spread version of the triple option"

What team would you compare them to in that respect? I'm just curious as to how their offense operates.

JSUSoutherner
September 29th, 2017, 10:17 AM

What team would you compare them to in that respect? I'm just curious as to how their offense operates.

It's more along the lines of a read option offense. Sort of like what JSU was doing with Eli but with a lot more deception. Their offense revolves around the QB run. It's not an offense like Chuck South's because they usually only keep one back in the game but they do use a lot of jet sweeps and the like.

Skyhawk71
September 29th, 2017, 10:54 AM

Not sure, the QB operates like a FB in mid-line veer on the dive read, he will keep dive or give and run an outside option with the wings/ they run speed option with a pass read, they also run with a back in the backfield and qb reads the dive like a regular spread option. It reminds me of hybrid flag football with a man always in motion, you never know what is happening, and unlike last year, they do it really fast. They also run a nice counter option away from motion. I would say that what it does for them is make the defense play base, and not play overly aggressive with the options. I've watched them on internet replays & it looks impressive, it worked well in the first half v. Cincinnati, and Morehead and Murray never really had an answer for it. Sorry for that weak response, maybe Sam Houston when they had the coach that went to GA. Southern, but I don't remember their offense.

fmftballmgr
September 29th, 2017, 11:09 AM
with what APSU did to us first half I am not looking forward to what happens this week with MSU going to Louisville and having to play a Heisman winner.

mamberso
September 30th, 2017, 09:34 PM
APSU 7 UTM 0. Govs are legit. Next week they have a chance to end JSU's OVC winning streak in Clarksville. And they have a shot. APSU has improved dramatically, and JSU is starting to come back to the pack in the OVC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CockyGeek
October 1st, 2017, 08:48 AM
How is JSU starting to come back to the pack? Until they lose a conference game, they're still on top. The rest of the OVC looks like garbage. Maybe Peay will keep it close, but a win over JSU and I'll eat a raw onion.

cx500d
October 1st, 2017, 09:09 AM
How is JSU starting to come back to the pack? Until they lose a conference game, they're still on top. The rest of the OVC looks like garbage. Maybe Peay will keep it close, but a win over JSU and I'll eat a raw onion.

Yeah, the OVC is the SLC of the....well OVC

Mocs123
October 1st, 2017, 09:11 AM
Congrats to Will Healey and Austin Peay. Can I interest you in the Chattanooga job? :)

Milktruck74
October 1st, 2017, 09:47 AM
I could be wrong about Will needing a few winning seasons. A win Next week vs JSU, and He can write his ticket!!! haha.. They are having a great year. Something special is going on in Clarksville. HE has them believing they can (and should) win.

PantherRob82
October 1st, 2017, 10:07 AM
I don't know why a 7-0 win over UTM means they are going to dethrone Jax St.

Mocs123
October 1st, 2017, 10:12 AM
I would be SHOCKED if they beat JSU, but a win over a good UTM team is significant. This is Austin Peay, that was one of the worst teams in FCS. Healey is on to something.

PantherRob82
October 1st, 2017, 10:15 AM
I would be SHOCKED if they beat JSU, but a win over a good UTM team is significant. This is Austin Peay, that was one of the worst teams in FCS. Healey is on to something.

Yeah, any win is a good one for AP, but it's not like UTM was a proven commodity like Jax St

JSUSoutherner
October 1st, 2017, 10:48 AM

Based on what I've seen through 4 games, its going to come down to which QB we play. One of them will get us an L this year unless he fixes his turnover problem. I'm sure you've seen the talk on GJS but if we don't keep the offense moving I don't know that the defense will be able to bail us out 8 weeks in a row like they did last night.

Mike296
October 1st, 2017, 11:52 AM
I honestly think that AP has a shot next week but it all depends on which team shows up against them next week :)

JSUSoutherner
October 1st, 2017, 12:12 PM
I honestly think that AP has a shot next week but it all depends on which team shows up against them next week :)

Troof.

Interesting stat: the only team that has scored more than 10 on us is GT and we held GT to their lowest yardage total of the season by far.

The kicker is the offense: if we play a turnover happy game like we did against TTU or GT it could be a long game for us. If we start the QB that needs to start then it will be a long night for APSU.

I don't see Peay getting more than 10 on offense. Their option stuff won't do diddly against us.

Mike296
October 1st, 2017, 12:14 PM
Troof.

Interesting stat: the only team that has scored more than 10 on us is GT and we held GT to their lowest yardage total of the season by far.

The kicker is the offense: if we play a turnover happy game like we did against TTU or GT it could be a long game for us. If we start the QB that needs to start then it will be a long night for APSU.

I don't see Peay getting more than 10.

Cant argue that logic but Peay could do some damage in the next few years and before too long they could be taking JSU's place at the top of the OVC :)

JSUSoutherner
October 1st, 2017, 12:26 PM
Cant argue that logic but Peay could do some damage in the next few years and before too long they could be taking JSU's place at the top of the OVC :)
Next season worries me. A lot.

Mike296
October 1st, 2017, 12:27 PM
Next season worries me. A lot.

2 horse race for the conference title next year :)

JSUSoutherner
October 1st, 2017, 12:30 PM
2 horse race for the conference title next year :)

Not sure it won't be more. I think we will be extremely vulnerable next year. We're losing 9 starters on defense, half our OL, and Roc. Fortunately, our young guys have been getting plenty of reps.

Schism55
October 1st, 2017, 12:33 PM
I don't know why a 7-0 win over UTM means they are going to dethrone Jax St.
This^^ WTF has Martin done to prove they are a good team? I'll wait....

Mike296
October 1st, 2017, 12:36 PM
Not sure it won't be more. I think we will be extremely vulnerable next year. We're losing 9 starters on defense, half our OL, and Roc. Fortunately, our young guys have been getting plenty of reps.

Did not realize you guys were losing so much. We lose a lot on Defense next year but our offense stays mostly intact only losing one OL and a TE if my memory serves me right

cx500d
October 1st, 2017, 12:58 PM
OVC is weaker then the SLC.

JSUSoutherner
October 1st, 2017, 12:59 PM
I'd take that bet.

TheKingpin28
October 1st, 2017, 01:01 PM

http://www.freeportnewsnetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/shots_fired.jpg

cx500d
October 1st, 2017, 01:08 PM
I'd take that bet.

They have two teams that can compete....OVC has how many? How many games did the OVC win in the playoffs last year?

JSUSoutherner
October 1st, 2017, 01:25 PM
They have two teams that can compete....OVC has how many? How many games did the OVC win in the playoffs last year?

Do they though?

TheKingpin28
October 1st, 2017, 01:28 PM
Do they though?

I mean they do have some sick national runner up gear.

cx500d
October 1st, 2017, 01:32 PM
Do they though?
You didn't answer the rest...Nice deflection with a rhetorical response

JSUSoutherner
October 1st, 2017, 01:39 PM
You didn't answer the rest...Nice deflection with a rhetorical response
I would argue outside if you take UCA, Sammy, and JSU out of the equation the OVC is a deeper league.

Not really a deflection. I can't prove you wrong and you can't prove me wrong. Only way to settle it would to play each other. Maybe we will get some matchups in the playoffs.

mamberso
October 1st, 2017, 01:41 PM

This team is much closer to the Jack Crowe teams of the past than the JSU teams of the past four years. They are showing a general lack of focus, as evidenced by last night. Sure, they beat TTU by 27. But TTU is one of the worst teams in FCS. JSU didn't put them away until late. If your idea of a successful season is to win the conference, then you will be happy at the end of the season. If it's to win a national championship, then you probably won't.

TTUEagles
October 1st, 2017, 09:17 PM
This team is much closer to the Jack Crowe teams of the past than the JSU teams of the past four years. They are showing a general lack of focus, as evidenced by last night. Sure, they beat TTU by 27. But TTU is one of the worst teams in FCS. JSU didn't put them away until late. If your idea of a successful season is to win the conference, then you will be happy at the end of the season. If it's to win a national championship, then you probably won't.

I only watched part of the 1st half, because, my God, TTU is bad - too worried about slogans, "a brand," and other coaching BS vs actual X's and O's, but... that game was over early. Some fluke-y and sloppy turnovers is only reason is was that close (at half). JSU will be fine if they can get out of their own way, like they couldn't in the first half...
TTU will continue to settle for coming in 2nd most games, this year... Can you fire a coach at this level after only 2 seasons?

JSUSoutherner
October 1st, 2017, 09:21 PM
I only watched part of the 1st half, because, my God, TTU is bad - too worried about slogans, "a brand," and other coaching BS vs actual X's and O's, but... that game was over early. Some fluke-y and sloppy turnovers is only reason is was that close (at half). JSU will be fine if they can get out of their own way, like they couldn't in the first half...
TTU will continue to settle for coming in 2nd most games, this year... Can you fire a coach at this level after only 2 seasons?
Unfortunately flukey and sloppy turnovers have been a theme for us this year.

fmftballmgr
October 2nd, 2017, 03:49 PM
Please bring the flukey and sloppy turnovers to the MSU game this year, Untill we find our offense that may be the only chance we have to keep it respectible

fmftballmgr
October 2nd, 2017, 03:53 PM
If they keep winning and finish uper 1/3 of the OVC I don't see Healey being there much longer than 3 or 4 years.

JSUSoutherner
October 2nd, 2017, 04:03 PM
Please bring the flukey and sloppy turnovers to the MSU game this year, Untill we find our offense that may be the only chance we have to keep it respectible
We could give you guys flukey and sloppy turnovers then pick six you three times like we did EKU last year?

fmftballmgr
October 2nd, 2017, 04:26 PM
We could give you guys flukey and sloppy turnovers then pick six you three times like we did EKU last year?

well at least somebody would score while our offense is on the field