PDA

View Full Version : Private question

PaladinFan
February 6th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Furman is the only private school to win a FCS national championship title. I think only three private schools have been represented in the Title Game, Furman, Lehigh, and Colgate?

I was looking over the records of all time FBS championships. Exactly how many private schools have won a national championship here? I can come up with...

Miami, Notre Dame, BYU, Syracuse.

Do you throw the military academies in with this? When do we consider the modern era of football to begin, because before the 1930s college football was owned by the Ivies.

Didn't know if this was right. Anyone got anything to add?

UNHWildCats
February 6th, 2007, 07:32 PM
USC is a private school

CITFAN
February 6th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Furman is the only private school to win a FCS national championship title. I think only three private schools have been represented in the Title Game, Furman, Lehigh, and Colgate?

I was looking over the records of all time FBS championships. Exactly how many private schools have won a national championship here? I can come up with...

Miami, Notre Dame, BYU, Syracuse.

Do you throw the military academies in with this? When do we consider the modern era of football to begin, because before the 1930s college football was owned by the Ivies.

Didn't know if this was right. Anyone got anything to add?

I say throw in the Military Academies that means Army won twice waaaay back then...I am partial to military schools of course

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 6th, 2007, 07:52 PM
For FBS, isn't Clemson private? How about Georgia Tech? Aren't they part public/private? When Pitt won their National Title(s) i don't think they were part of the state system in PA.

UNHWildCats
February 6th, 2007, 08:03 PM
For FBS, isn't Clemson private? How about Georgia Tech? Aren't they part public/private? When Pitt won their National Title(s) i don't think they were part of the state system in PA.

Clemson and Tech are both listed as public schools

These are the private schools not listed above that have won National; Championships

Princeton, Harvard, Cornell, Stanford, TCU, SMU, Yale, Dartmouth, Penn, Chicago. That doesnt include the Military Academys

PaladinFan
February 6th, 2007, 09:21 PM
I did not know USC.

Clemson and GT are most definitely not private.

TheValleyRaider
February 6th, 2007, 10:11 PM
Remember, Cornell is part-Public/part-Private. Also, the Military Academies are certainly Public Schools. Their budget comes from the Government and every student's tuition is paid for by the Government. If that's not public, I don't know what is.

ngineer
February 6th, 2007, 10:20 PM

Pitt is a 'state related' university. So it's sort of a hybrid, like Temple.

ngineer
February 6th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Remember, Cornell is part-Public/part-Private. Also, the Military Academies are certainly Public Schools. Their budget comes from the Government and every student's tuition is paid for by the Government. If that's not public, I don't know what is.

Ed. Note: Aren't you referring to SUNY-Ithaca??;)

TheValleyRaider
February 6th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Ed. Note: Aren't you referring to SUNY-Ithaca??;)

The one and only :D :smiley_wi

AggiePride
February 6th, 2007, 10:59 PM
U of San Diego is private, didn't they win the super bowl?

UNHWildCats
February 6th, 2007, 11:04 PM
U of San Diego is private, didn't they win the super bowl?

xlolx xlolx

yup they totally manhandled Payton Manning whos now laying on his parents bed in a fetal position crying.

grizband
February 7th, 2007, 12:06 AM
I am pretty certain Brigham Young is a private school.

PaladinFan
February 7th, 2007, 06:21 AM
I noted BYU in my originial post.

letsgopards04
February 7th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Lafayette won at least a share in 3 titles in the early 20th century

henfan
February 7th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Delaware's a quasi-private, so I'd guess they qualify.

Go...gate
February 7th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Didn't Brown win the NC in 1928? (the "Iron Eleven" - nobody else played all season.)