PDA

View Full Version : MVFC Survivor Pool

Pages : [1] 2

BisonTru
September 27th, 2017, 03:55 PM
Pick a weekly winner. Once you've picked a team you can't use that team for the remainder of the conference season.

One note: Illinois State and Missouri State played last week. ISU plays Northern Arizona in a few weeks and that game will be included. Edit: You may pick ISU, but not Northern Arizona.

Place your picks and I'll update weekly on who's still alive.

- - - Updated - - -

My pick this week: North Dakota State

POD Knows
September 27th, 2017, 03:57 PM
South Dakota State, #bookit baby #bookit

TheKingpin28
September 27th, 2017, 04:20 PM
SIU

ST_Lawson
September 27th, 2017, 04:48 PM
NDSU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CappinHard
September 27th, 2017, 05:39 PM
South Dakota State, #bookit baby #bookit

This is smart. Win-win for you... Either your hex works and you get the satisfaction of SDSU losing, or you survive the week.

RabidRabbit
September 27th, 2017, 05:42 PM
ILL St for this Rabbit.

POD Knows
September 27th, 2017, 05:42 PM
This is smart. Win-win for you... Either your hex works and you get the satisfaction of SDSU losing, or you survive the week.
That is how I roll and that is why my predictions usually suck

CappinHard
September 27th, 2017, 05:46 PM
Illinois State

I feel like most people are just going to fade Indiana State and Missouri State all year, except for the week where they play each other. With the strength of the conference this year, it would be really interesting to have a survivor pool where you had to pick one team per week that would lose. Those decisions would get really tough.

BisonFan02
September 27th, 2017, 06:26 PM
Gimme NDSU......or whoever is playing Misery this week. :D

Southern Bison
September 27th, 2017, 06:37 PM
Illinois State

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

BirdistheWord
September 27th, 2017, 07:52 PM
Illinois State

Sycamore62
September 27th, 2017, 08:26 PM
WIU

cx500d
September 27th, 2017, 08:30 PM
SIU

Coyote Fan
September 27th, 2017, 08:35 PM
I am not taking any chances week 1

North Dakota State for me

cx500d
September 27th, 2017, 08:36 PM
I am not taking any chances week 1

North Dakota State for me

I get it; each week some homer is going to pick whomever is playing misery state....good strategy I guess.

BisonTru
September 27th, 2017, 08:56 PM
I get it; each week some homer is going to pick whomever is playing misery state....good strategy I guess.

That strategy took out quite a few last year. Time will tell.

DA BEAR
September 27th, 2017, 08:59 PM
NDSU

The Yo Show
September 27th, 2017, 09:50 PM
NDSU

Penguin Nation
September 27th, 2017, 11:04 PM
UNI

djohnk
September 27th, 2017, 11:05 PM
NDSU

JSUSoutherner
September 27th, 2017, 11:52 PM
ISUr

Got all my picks for the season lined lined up and planned out.

Schism55
September 27th, 2017, 11:58 PM
Burning the best pick, NDSU, in the first week seems like a bad idea.
Illinois St. for this guy.

mango433
September 28th, 2017, 08:34 AM
Illinois State

Redbird007
September 28th, 2017, 08:48 AM
Illinois State

Hard not to pick Illinois State this week given the way their schedule toughens up for the remainder of the season.

Bison56
September 28th, 2017, 09:04 AM
Illinois State

Sycamore62
September 28th, 2017, 09:08 AM
man, all you guys picking Illinois State. Im only gonna have to outpick a couple guys next week

Mayville Bison
September 28th, 2017, 01:24 PM
I'll use the same plan I have for Lawson's pickem game

ISUr

UpstateBison
September 28th, 2017, 01:43 PM
Illinois State

UNIFanSince1983
September 28th, 2017, 01:49 PM
Well I am going out on a limb and may be done quick.

ISU Light

BisonTru
September 28th, 2017, 02:05 PM
Well I am going out on a limb and may be done quick.

ISU Light

Blue or Red? I don't want to assume what light means.

Schism55
September 28th, 2017, 02:07 PM
Billy Joel sang it best.....And we will all, go down, together :D

JSUSoutherner
September 28th, 2017, 02:12 PM
man, all you guys picking Illinois State. Im only gonna have to outpick a couple guys next week

If ISUb beats ISUr I'll change my avatar to what ever you want it to be until ISUb loses.

UNIFanSince1983
September 28th, 2017, 02:12 PM
Blue or Red? I don't want to assume what light means.

Light is Blue, Heavy is Red xdrunkyx

BisonTru
September 28th, 2017, 03:10 PM
Too many people picking ISUr.

I'm changing my pick to: NDSU

Sycamore62
September 28th, 2017, 03:14 PM
If ISUb beats ISUr I'll change my avatar to what ever you want it to be until ISUb loses.

i assume you peeked a our game next week right?

JSUSoutherner
September 28th, 2017, 03:35 PM
i assume you peeked a our game next week right?
No but I assume it's NDSU? In that case, until the playoffs start.

SUPharmacist
September 28th, 2017, 04:59 PM
SIU

Evolution Prime
September 28th, 2017, 05:24 PM
Western Illinois

Carolina010
September 28th, 2017, 07:06 PM
NDSU

dewey
September 28th, 2017, 08:55 PM
My pick NDSU

Dewey

Coyote Fan
September 28th, 2017, 11:30 PM

It isn't just because it's Missouri State but we are talking about the consensus worst team in the conference playing at the best team. Obviously Illinois State is the next in line but Indiana State hasn't been too bad so there is at least some risk there. I will save the Red Birds until a different week but I am confident that there will be a next week.

Thumper 76
September 29th, 2017, 12:38 AM
I’ll go with........WIU.

Redbird007
September 29th, 2017, 01:18 AM
I’ll go with........WIU.

Like it Thumper but believe that is not a survivor bet rather that is "I am going to either go down in flames instantly or materially set myself up long term to win the pool".

For the record I spoke with a successful Chicago Catholic League high school football coach/FCS fan that feels WIU has "solid talent at spots" but also is "thin and vulnerable at several positions and lacks overall depth" that will hurt them against talented teams. For this bet the question is...is USD for real and talented? He predicts WIU will flame out in the MVC games. That said I would be the first to admit that I know basketball only but love watching football and I am a novice on football talent evaluation. Same coach did tell me last year, when WIU was hot early, that they would not not perform well in the MVC and would be surprised if they made the playoffs. I did go on record on this site last year stating his advice and it turned out correct. We shall see and I hope I am wrong for Lawson's sake!.

Thumper 76
September 29th, 2017, 05:52 AM
Like it Thumper but believe that is not a survivor bet rather that is "I am going to either go down in flames instantly or materially set myself up long term to win the pool".

For the record I spoke with a successful Chicago Catholic League high school football coach/FCS fan that feels WIU has "solid talent at spots" but also is "thin and vulnerable at several positions and lacks overall depth" that will hurt them against talented teams. For this bet the question is...is USD for real and talented? He predicts WIU will flame out in the MVC games. That said I would be the first to admit that I know basketball only but love watching football and I am a novice on football talent evaluation. Same coach did tell me last year, when WIU was hot early, that they would not not perform well in the MVC and would be surprised if they made the playoffs. I did go on record on this site last year stating that his advice and it turned out correct. We shall see and I hope I am wrong for Lawson's sake!.

I’ve watched both of the teams, and that’s who I felt comfortable with. There’s a couple different teams to pick just as risky. You’re making it out to be like I picked Misery St over NDSU.

Mattymc727
September 29th, 2017, 08:30 AM
SIU

ST_Lawson
September 29th, 2017, 08:34 AM

For the record I spoke with a successful Chicago Catholic League high school football coach/FCS fan that feels WIU has "solid talent at spots" but also is "thin and vulnerable at several positions and lacks overall depth" that will hurt them against talented teams. For this bet the question is...is USD for real and talented? He predicts WIU will flame out in the MVC games. That said I would be the first to admit that I know basketball only but love watching football and I am a novice on football talent evaluation. Same coach did tell me last year, when WIU was hot early, that they would not not perform well in the MVC and would be surprised if they made the playoffs. I did go on record on this site last year stating his advice and it turned out correct. We shall see and I hope I am wrong for Lawson's sake!.

That's a surprising opinion to me actually. I'm curious to hear what positions he's talking about where we lack overall depth...QB maybe?

Personally, I'm not real worried about just about any other position on the field other than that. We've got a ton of experience on the lines, even into the backups, a great LB corps (we were the only MVFC team with two LBs getting preseason recognition), and DBs that have significantly improved over last year in large part due to bringing in a couple of talented senior transfers and the return of someone who was injured pretty much all of last year. Because of this, most of our starters last year are our backups this year at that position. We have probably the most versatile offense I've seen Western have in a long time with two really good RBs, a fast WR who can both catch and run the ball effectively, and the most TE production we've seen in the last decade (a few years ago, our total TE production for the entire season was 2 catches for 11 yards). Honestly, it's just a fun team to watch this year.

QB feels like the one "weak spot" to me, but that's mostly because we haven't seen QB2 much so far (threw a couple of passes in the Tennessee Tech game, mostly just handed off the ball in the Coastal Carolina game).

I'm not saying he's wrong...I don't think we really know for sure yet...I'm just interested in knowing why he thinks that because it's a criticism that I haven't really heard about our team so far.

Redbird007
September 29th, 2017, 10:04 AM
That's a surprising opinion to me actually. I'm curious to hear what positions he's talking about where we lack overall depth...QB maybe?

Personally, I'm not real worried about just about any other position on the field other than that. We've got a ton of experience on the lines, even into the backups, a great LB corps (we were the only MVFC team with two LBs getting preseason recognition), and DBs that have significantly improved over last year in large part due to bringing in a couple of talented senior transfers and the return of someone who was injured pretty much all of last year. Because of this, most of our starters last year are our backups this year at that position. We have probably the most versatile offense I've seen Western have in a long time with two really good RBs, a fast WR who can both catch and run the ball effectively, and the most TE production we've seen in the last decade (a few years ago, our total TE production for the entire season was 2 catches for 11 yards). Honestly, it's just a fun team to watch this year.

QB feels like the one "weak spot" to me, but that's mostly because we haven't seen QB2 much so far (threw a couple of passes in the Tennessee Tech game, mostly just handed off the ball in the Coastal Carolina game).

I'm not saying he's wrong...I don't think we really know for sure yet...I'm just interested in knowing why he thinks that because it's a criticism that I haven't really heard about our team so far.

I am not likely to run into him anytime soon so it will be hard to find out.

ST_Lawson
September 29th, 2017, 10:24 AM
I am not likely to run into him anytime soon so it will be hard to find out.

Fair enough. I hope his evaluation is incorrect, but I suppose we'll start to find out over the next couple of weeks.

clenz
September 29th, 2017, 10:30 AM
I'm submitted my picks for the entire season right now

SIU
WIU
SDSU
YSU
NDSU
USD
MSU
ISUB

MTfan4life
September 29th, 2017, 10:31 AM
North Dakota State

Redbird007
September 29th, 2017, 04:50 PM
Fair enough. I hope his evaluation is incorrect, but I suppose we'll start to find out over the next couple of weeks.

Your exactly right. Many teams in the MVC have set themselves up to have a great regular season including WIU and ISU. We will soon find out who is truly worthy of the rankings. ISU looks good on paper but they have not done anything of significance on the field this season to validate their ranking and actually their next two games are not against any ranked opponent either.

dgtw
September 29th, 2017, 06:31 PM
Illinois State.

Bisonator
September 29th, 2017, 08:23 PM
Illinois State

BisonTru
October 1st, 2017, 07:11 PM
24 survive, 10 eliminated

BirdistheWord
Illinois State

Bison56
Illinois State

Bisonator
Illinois State

BisonFan02
North Dakota St

BisonTru
North Dakota St

CappinHard
Illinois State

Carolina010
North Dakota St

Coyote Fan
North Dakota St

DA BEAR
North Dakota St

Dewey
North Dakota St

dgtw
Illinois State

djohnk
North Dakota St

JSUSoutherner
Illinois State

mango433
Illinois State

Mayville Bison
Illinois State

MTfan4life
North Dakota St

Penguin Nation
Northern Iowa

RabidRabbit
Illinois State

Redbird007
Illinois State

Schism55
Illinois State

Southern Bison
Illinois State

ST_Lawson
North Dakota St

The Yo Show
North Dakota St

UpstateBison
Illinois State

clenz
Southern Illinois

cx500d
Southern Illinois

Evolution Prime
Western Illinois

Mattymc727
Southern Illinois

POD Knows
South Dakota St

SUPharmacist
Southern Illinois

Sycamore62
Western Illinois

TheKingpin28
Southern Illinois

Thumper76
Western Illinois

UNIFanSince1983
Indiana State

JSUSoutherner
October 1st, 2017, 07:14 PM
How'd that work out for ya?

#LongLiveCocky

cx500d
October 1st, 2017, 07:22 PM
How'd that work out for ya?

#LongLiveCocky

Took a swing for the fence and whiffed!

CappinHard
October 2nd, 2017, 02:17 PM
SDSU

UNIFanSince1983
October 2nd, 2017, 02:18 PM
It was a good run while it lasted ;)

Evolution Prime
October 2nd, 2017, 02:56 PM
I didn't want to play anyways...

Sycamore62
October 2nd, 2017, 03:15 PM
It isn't just because it's Missouri State but we are talking about the consensus worst team in the conference playing at the best team. Obviously Illinois State is the next in line but Indiana State hasn't been too bad so there is at least some risk there. I will save the Red Birds until a different week but I am confident that there will be a next week.

How about let SIU beat us once before saying we are next in line.

Sycamore62
October 2nd, 2017, 03:25 PM
Took a swing for the fence and whiffed!

Nobody remembers Barry Bonds or Mark McGuire striking out.

UpstateBison
October 2nd, 2017, 03:54 PM
NDSU

BirdistheWord
October 2nd, 2017, 03:57 PM
SDSU

RabidRabbit
October 2nd, 2017, 03:58 PM
NDSU

ST_Lawson
October 2nd, 2017, 04:07 PM
Illinois State

mango433
October 2nd, 2017, 04:17 PM
I'm taking a swing.

Youngstown State.

Mayville Bison
October 2nd, 2017, 04:23 PM
NDSU

Penguin Nation
October 2nd, 2017, 04:27 PM
Illinois State.

cx500d
October 2nd, 2017, 04:44 PM
Nobody remembers Barry Bonds or Mark McGuire striking out.

#22 and #43 respectively. Reggie Jackson is still the leader.

JSUSoutherner
October 2nd, 2017, 07:30 PM
North Dakota State please

Yotes21
October 2nd, 2017, 08:32 PM
#22 and #43 respectively. Reggie Jackson is still the leader.

Barry is #54. His father Bobby is #22.

Thumper 76
October 2nd, 2017, 08:40 PM
Jesus Christ and his team of Mini Ditkas

dewey
October 2nd, 2017, 08:40 PM
South Dakota State for me please.

Dewey

TheKingpin28
October 2nd, 2017, 08:46 PM

Oh you mean Carson Wentz and the 2015 Bison defense? :D

Carolina010
October 2nd, 2017, 09:29 PM
SDSU

ST_Lawson
October 2nd, 2017, 10:12 PM

The '85 Bears?...who are you talking about?
I think you've finally gone off the deep end, Thump.

Thumper 76
October 3rd, 2017, 01:34 AM
The '85 Bears?...who are you talking about?
I think you've finally gone off the deep end, Thump.

Finally? Man I’ve been swimming out here for years.

POD Knows
October 3rd, 2017, 08:32 AM
24 survive, 10 eliminated

BirdistheWord
Illinois State

Bison56
Illinois State

Bisonator
Illinois State

BisonFan02
North Dakota St

BisonTru
North Dakota St

CappinHard
Illinois State

Carolina010
North Dakota St

Coyote Fan
North Dakota St

DA BEAR
North Dakota St

Dewey
North Dakota St

dgtw
Illinois State

djohnk
North Dakota St

JSUSoutherner
Illinois State

mango433
Illinois State

Mayville Bison
Illinois State

MTfan4life
North Dakota St

Penguin Nation
Northern Iowa

RabidRabbit
Illinois State

Redbird007
Illinois State

Schism55
Illinois State

Southern Bison
Illinois State

ST_Lawson
North Dakota St

The Yo Show
North Dakota St

UpstateBison
Illinois State

clenz
Southern Illinois

cx500d
Southern Illinois

Evolution Prime
Western Illinois

Mattymc727
Southern Illinois

POD Knows
South Dakota St

SUPharmacist
Southern Illinois

Sycamore62
Western Illinois

TheKingpin28
Southern Illinois

Thumper76
Western Illinois

UNIFanSince1983
Indiana State

I should get a special exemption to get back into this, I fell on the sword and used my #bookit power to take out SDSU, that should count for something. :D

Bison56
October 3rd, 2017, 02:26 PM
SDSU

cx500d
October 3rd, 2017, 04:45 PM
Barry is #54. His father Bobby is #22.

Barry Bobby potato potahto

- - - Updated - - -

I should get a special exemption to get back into this, I fell on the sword and used my #bookit power to take out SDSU, that should count for something. :D

That seems kind of like a contrarian point of view to yourself.

Yotes21
October 3rd, 2017, 06:15 PM
Hey when the knower of all slips up I had to take my shot.

POD Knows
October 3rd, 2017, 06:35 PM
Barry Bobby potato potahto

- - - Updated - - -

That seems kind of like a contrarian point of view to yourself.Yea, I don't get your reply.

cx500d
October 3rd, 2017, 07:03 PM
Yea, I don't get your reply.

Well you #bookedIt, which meant you were really picking YSU, but then you committed to SDSU on this thread which is contrarian to your supernatural pick of YSU. You really doomed yourself. I just picked the wrong team.

Southern Bison
October 3rd, 2017, 07:05 PM
NDSU

TheKingpin28
October 3rd, 2017, 07:37 PM
No, I really believed that SDSU would win, I poured my heart and soul into that game and assured victory when I bet the ranch and #bookit. I don't just drop a #bookit deal on a team I think should win, I usually back that #bookit deal with bets supporting my #bookit pic, I didn't in this case which is rare but well, it is complicated.

He does not understand how the #bookit works. It is the mysterious power that pisses of SDSU fans and gives the FCS the love it needs and deserves.

POD Knows
October 3rd, 2017, 07:45 PM
He does not understand how the #bookit works. It is the mysterious power that pisses of SDSU fans and gives the FCS the love it needs and deserves.You got to say in character and invest and give part of your soul to the process. It doesn't just work because I make a few posts, it is commitment to the cause at hand and a part of me dies every time it is successful.

TheKingpin28
October 3rd, 2017, 07:47 PM
You got to say in character and invest and give part of your soul to the process. It doesn't just work because I make a few posts, it is commitment to the cause at hand and a part of me dies every time it is successful.

Have you seen how much I have aged over the past year or so? I feel dead on the inside. #bookit

Bisonator
October 3rd, 2017, 08:00 PM
I'll take NDSU this week.

Coyote Fan
October 3rd, 2017, 08:12 PM
I gotta go with South Dakota State this week

DA BEAR
October 3rd, 2017, 09:19 PM
SDSU

BisonTru
October 3rd, 2017, 09:33 PM
Not a fan of going with the crowd, but I'm going to have to go with

South Dakota St

djohnk
October 3rd, 2017, 10:25 PM
SDSU

Thumper 76
October 3rd, 2017, 10:55 PM
Not a fan of going with the crowd, but I'm going to have to go with

South Dakota St

All of you need to knock this **** off right now

MTfan4life
October 3rd, 2017, 11:32 PM
South Dakota State

Schism55
October 3rd, 2017, 11:49 PM
I'll take SDSU this week as well.
If the Jacks don't come out full of piss and vinegar and put a beating on the Salukis, going to be a looong fall in Brookings.

Thumper 76
October 4th, 2017, 02:50 AM
South Dakota State

I'll take SDSU this week as well.
If the Jacks don't come out full of piss and vinegar and put a beating on the Salukis, going to be a looong fall in Brookings.

https://68.media.tumblr.com/4a1ffb627b8c203dab471ca0a37f0289/tumblr_mhx7z8ehoe1s5w9a4o1_500.gif

BisonFan02
October 4th, 2017, 08:13 AM
**** it. Gimme SDSU. #Bookit

Sycamore62
October 4th, 2017, 08:17 AM
All of you need to knock this **** off right now

I know I was wrong last week but Ill take SDSU

mango433
October 4th, 2017, 08:46 AM
I hate all of you picking SDSU

Sycamore62
October 4th, 2017, 08:47 AM
I think week one you should be able to take one team running the table or pick a team each week.

Redbird007
October 4th, 2017, 02:28 PM
NDSU

dgtw
October 4th, 2017, 03:54 PM
North Dakota State

The Yo Show
October 4th, 2017, 07:26 PM
I'll take SDSU

BisonFan02
October 6th, 2017, 07:12 AM
Bump?

mmiller_34
October 6th, 2017, 08:10 AM
Illinois State

Professor Chaos
October 6th, 2017, 08:47 AM
I'm not in the game but I'll take SDSU.

TheKingpin28
October 6th, 2017, 03:34 PM
Bump?

Did someone say "bump"?

Penguin Nation
October 8th, 2017, 07:42 PM
Illinois State.

Nope. I'm out. I tied my cart to the wrong damn horse.

BisonTru
October 8th, 2017, 07:49 PM
Nope. I'm out. I tied my cart to the wrong damn horse.

Thanks for the honesty. My bad. 4 eliminated.

Edit: I screwed up the scoresheet.

ST_Lawson
October 8th, 2017, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the honesty. My bad. 4 eliminated.

I'm out too. I had NDSU last week...

NDSU

Which was fine, but then Illinois State this week...

Illinois State

Stupid Redbirds....losin' their stupid game.

JSUSoutherner
October 8th, 2017, 09:02 PM
Not worried about having used ISUr and NDSU. All according to plan.

I'll take the Leathernecks this week for 200, Alex.

BisonTru
October 8th, 2017, 09:12 PM
I'm out too. I had NDSU last week...

Which was fine, but then Illinois State this week...

Stupid Redbirds....losin' their stupid game.

Ok.... So I must of screwed something up when I sorted the spreadsheet cuz your the third screw up and I just looked and my week one pick is wrong.

Sorry folks. I'll sort this out and have it shortly.

ST_Lawson
October 8th, 2017, 09:13 PM
Ok.... So I must of screwed something up when I sorted the spreadsheet cuz your the third screw up and I just looked and my week one pick is wrong.

Sorry folks. I'll sort this out and have it shortly.

Probably accidentally sorted just one column rather than all together. I do it every now and then too...fairly common error.

BisonTru
October 8th, 2017, 09:24 PM
Probably accidentally sorted just one column rather than all together. I do it every now and then too...fairly common error.

Yep. That's exactly what I did. Anyway, like first posted three people are eliminated I just eliminated the wrong posters. Oops. Here's the corrected results. Thanks for everyone letting me know about the errors and if you see anymore let me know.

BirdistheWord
Illinois State
South Dakota St

Bison56
Illinois State
South Dakota St

Bisonator
Illinois State
North Dakota St

BisonFan02
North Dakota St
South Dakota St

BisonTru
North Dakota St
South Dakota St

CappinHard
Illinois State
South Dakota St

Carolina010
North Dakota St
South Dakota St

Coyote Fan
North Dakota St
South Dakota St

DA BEAR
North Dakota St
South Dakota St

Dewey
North Dakota St
South Dakota St

dgtw
Illinois State
North Dakota St

djohnk
North Dakota St
South Dakota St

JSUSoutherner
Illinois State
North Dakota St

Mayville Bison
Illinois State
North Dakota St

MTfan4life
North Dakota St
South Dakota St

RabidRabbit
Illinois State
North Dakota St

Redbird007
Illinois State
North Dakota St

Schism55
Illinois State
South Dakota St

Southern Bison
Illinois State
North Dakota St

The Yo Show
North Dakota St
South Dakota St

UpstateBison
Illinois State
North Dakota St

mango433
Illinois State
Youngstown St

Penguin Nation
Northern Iowa
Illinois St

ST_Lawson
North Dakota St
Illinois St

MTfan4life
October 8th, 2017, 09:26 PM
BisonTru
North Dakota St
North Dakota St

Benefits of running the game, I guess. ;)

BisonTru
October 8th, 2017, 09:37 PM
[/TD]

[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Benefits of running the game, I guess. ;)

SOB. I'm really ****ing **** up this evening. Anyway fixed AGAIN.

ST_Lawson
October 8th, 2017, 09:54 PM

I am too...kinda screwed up posting my MVFC Week 6 in Review article for The FCS Wedge this evening.

Schism55
October 8th, 2017, 10:06 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26265&stc=1

TheKingpin28
October 8th, 2017, 10:12 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26265&stc=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDS6izhk1ZE

Coyote Fan
October 8th, 2017, 10:21 PM
This week I will take Western Illinois as my pick to defeat Missouri State

BisonFan02
October 8th, 2017, 10:22 PM
Gimme WIU

djohnk
October 9th, 2017, 01:28 AM
WIU

Mayville Bison
October 9th, 2017, 10:05 AM
WIU it is

ST_Lawson
October 9th, 2017, 10:06 AM
Why does it feel like all these WIU picks are going to somehow doom us?

Mayville Bison
October 9th, 2017, 10:08 AM

Then you should obviously pick MSU (would be funnier if you weren't eliminated...)

Bison56
October 9th, 2017, 10:29 AM
USD

CappinHard
October 9th, 2017, 11:15 AM
WIU

I like to think of it being pronounced like this:

Give me 2 claps and a WIU...

https://media.giphy.com/media/yUI3a7RwLhOFy/200.gif

BisonTru
October 9th, 2017, 12:12 PM

Thumps had the same bad feeling. Didn't matter, they crushed SIU.

I'm going to go away from the crowd some and go with.

South Dakota

Southern Bison
October 9th, 2017, 12:31 PM
WIU

Nice FUBAR on the spreadsheet. Surprised you didn't follow your Queen's lead...
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171009/79ab400808b9e8f088cdda5078a87691.gif

RabidRabbit
October 9th, 2017, 12:49 PM
I'll go for USD this week.

UpstateBison
October 9th, 2017, 03:51 PM
SDSU

BirdistheWord
October 9th, 2017, 11:04 PM
WIU

Bisonator
October 10th, 2017, 09:49 AM
I'll take WIU this week.

MTfan4life
October 10th, 2017, 01:48 PM
Western Illinois

Carolina010
October 10th, 2017, 09:55 PM
Illinois State

Schism55
October 10th, 2017, 10:13 PM
I'll take Western Illinois.

dewey
October 10th, 2017, 11:01 PM
I'll take Western Illinois.

Dewey

The Yo Show
October 11th, 2017, 01:23 PM
WIU for me

DA BEAR
October 11th, 2017, 07:41 PM
I will take WIU

Redbird007
October 13th, 2017, 10:35 AM
South Dakota (not state)

ST_Lawson
October 13th, 2017, 10:47 AM
South Dakota (not state)

South Dakota's not a state?

https://i.imgur.com/bQa9Iwh.gif

Redbird007
October 13th, 2017, 02:42 PM
South Dakota's not a state?

https://i.imgur.com/bQa9Iwh.gif
Not Saturday...that day they better be a winning football team!

dgtw
October 14th, 2017, 04:05 AM
Western Illinois

BisonTru
October 16th, 2017, 02:34 PM
19 Survive, 2 eliminated

BirdistheWord
Illinois State
South Dakota St
Western Illinois

Bison56
Illinois State
South Dakota St
South Dakota

Bisonator
Illinois State
North Dakota St
Western Illinois

BisonFan02
North Dakota St
South Dakota St
Western Illinois

BisonTru
North Dakota St
South Dakota St
South Dakota

CappinHard
Illinois State
South Dakota St
Western Illinois

Coyote Fan
North Dakota St
South Dakota St
Western Illinois

DA BEAR
North Dakota St
South Dakota St
Western Illinois

Dewey
North Dakota St
South Dakota St
Western Illinois

dgtw
Illinois State
North Dakota St
Western Illinois

djohnk
North Dakota St
South Dakota St
Western Illinois

JSUSoutherner
Illinois State
North Dakota St
Western Illinois

Mayville Bison
Illinois State
North Dakota St
Western Illinois

MTfan4life
North Dakota St
South Dakota St
Western Illinois

RabidRabbit
Illinois State
North Dakota St
South Dakota

Redbird007
Illinois State
North Dakota St
South Dakota

Schism55
Illinois State
South Dakota St
Western Illinois

Southern Bison
Illinois State
North Dakota St
Western Illinois

The Yo Show
North Dakota St
South Dakota St
Western Illinois

Carolina010
North Dakota St
South Dakota St
Illinois State

UpstateBison
Illinois State
North Dakota St
South Dakota St

REMINDER: YOU CAN'T PICK A TEAM YOU'VE ALREADY USED. I may scan the sheet to make sure nobody has a duplicate pick, but ultimately that is on you. If you do that will be an automatic elimination if it hasn't been fixed by game times.

JSUSoutherner
October 16th, 2017, 03:00 PM
South Dakota State this week for me please.

BisonTru
October 16th, 2017, 03:04 PM
I'm going to have to roll with Southern Illinois

djohnk
October 16th, 2017, 03:11 PM
Southern Illinois for me this week

Schism55
October 16th, 2017, 04:04 PM
Only lost 2??
Rabble Rabble :D

CappinHard
October 16th, 2017, 04:24 PM
NDSU

MTfan4life
October 16th, 2017, 05:03 PM
Southern Illinois

Coyote Fan
October 16th, 2017, 05:30 PM
Going with Southern Illinois this week.

DA BEAR
October 16th, 2017, 09:01 PM
Southern Illinois

dewey
October 16th, 2017, 09:24 PM
Southern Illinois for me please.

Dewey

Southern Bison
October 16th, 2017, 11:43 PM
Southern Illinois

Bison56
October 17th, 2017, 06:31 AM
Southern Illinios

Mayville Bison
October 17th, 2017, 09:44 AM
South Dakota State please

BirdistheWord
October 17th, 2017, 04:25 PM
SIU

CappinHard
October 17th, 2017, 04:35 PM
Looks like the Salukis need to lose this week.

https://media.tenor.com/images/7f1293992cc3f55cc68ec269bc38a1d4/tenor.gif

JSUSoutherner
October 17th, 2017, 04:39 PM

No kidding. That would be more than ideal.

BisonTru
October 17th, 2017, 06:24 PM

I really really didn't want to take them, but my hands are tied. My only other option is taking YSU on the road to hot UNI.

Oh well, this thing will get a lot easier to grade when they lose.

Bisonator
October 18th, 2017, 10:39 AM
Give me SIU this week

RabidRabbit
October 18th, 2017, 01:11 PM
SDSU this 10/21 weekend

Schism55
October 18th, 2017, 02:58 PM
Salukis for moi please.

Redbird007
October 18th, 2017, 11:34 PM
South Dakota State

dgtw
October 19th, 2017, 04:44 PM
I'll take a chance with Southern Illinois. I don't want to get stuck late in the season being forced to pick them when they are playing a really good team.

BisonFan02
October 20th, 2017, 12:38 PM
Gimme SIU.

BisonTru
October 20th, 2017, 12:41 PM
WIU for me

Just missing your pick for this week.

CappinHard
October 20th, 2017, 12:43 PM
I'll take a chance with Southern Illinois. I don't want to get stuck late in the season being forced to pick them when they are playing a really good team.

...like when they play Missouri State in a couple weeks? xeyebrowx

dgtw
October 21st, 2017, 06:56 AM
...like when they play Missouri State in a couple weeks? xeyebrowx

I’m just in this for fun. I don’t follow the MVFC so I have to look at the standings before making my pick. I also haven’t looked ahead at future schedules so I do fear painting myself into a corner by the last week.

The Yo Show
October 21st, 2017, 11:54 AM
SIU this week for me.

dgtw
October 22nd, 2017, 06:44 AM
I think everyone survived this week.

BisonTru
October 23rd, 2017, 09:23 PM
I think everyone survived this week.

Yep.

BirdistheWord
Illinois State
South Dakota St
Western Illinois
Southern Illinois

Bison56
Illinois State
South Dakota St
South Dakota
Southern Illinois

Bisonator
Illinois State
North Dakota St
Western Illinois
Southern Illinois

BisonFan02
North Dakota St
South Dakota St
Western Illinois
Southern Illinois

BisonTru
North Dakota St
South Dakota St
South Dakota
Southern Illinois

CappinHard
Illinois State
South Dakota St
Western Illinois
North Dakota St

Coyote Fan
North Dakota St
South Dakota St
Western Illinois
Southern Illinois

DA BEAR
North Dakota St
South Dakota St
Western Illinois
Southern Illinois

Dewey
North Dakota St
South Dakota St
Western Illinois
Southern Illinois

dgtw
Illinois State
North Dakota St
Western Illinois
Southern Illinois

djohnk
North Dakota St
South Dakota St
Western Illinois
Southern Illinois

JSUSoutherner
Illinois State
North Dakota St
Western Illinois
South Dakota St

Mayville Bison
Illinois State
North Dakota St
Western Illinois
South Dakota St

MTfan4life
North Dakota St
South Dakota St
Western Illinois
Southern Illinois

RabidRabbit
Illinois State
North Dakota St
South Dakota
South Dakota St

Redbird007
Illinois State
North Dakota St
South Dakota
South Dakota St

Schism55
Illinois State
South Dakota St
Western Illinois
Southern Illinois

Southern Bison
Illinois State
North Dakota St
Western Illinois
Southern Illinois

The Yo Show
North Dakota St
South Dakota St
Western Illinois
Southern Illinois

JSUSoutherner
October 23rd, 2017, 09:53 PM
Lame.

Give me South Dakota this week.

BisonFan02
October 23rd, 2017, 09:58 PM
**** it....Give me Missouri State.

Coyote Fan
October 23rd, 2017, 11:32 PM
I will take my South Dakota Coyotes this week.

BisonFan02
October 24th, 2017, 12:12 AM

Who else wants to grow a pair? Take the Bears. #bookit

Sycamore62
October 24th, 2017, 08:53 AM

this is as safe as any time. we have lost enough players that some of our commits are going to be starting in this game. I hope they dont have HS playoff games

Bison56
October 24th, 2017, 09:25 AM
I will take MSU

CappinHard
October 24th, 2017, 11:33 AM
USD

JSUSoutherner
October 24th, 2017, 01:13 PM
You know the sad part? I'm willing to bet the people picking MSU are more likely to survive than the ones picking USD.

Southern Bison
October 24th, 2017, 02:28 PM
The next 3 weeks...Mo State (10/28), YSU (11/4), UNI (11/11).

If I make it to the last weekend, it's down to USD or SDSU.

DA BEAR
October 24th, 2017, 04:40 PM
MSU

dewey
October 24th, 2017, 04:50 PM
I will take South Dakota this weekend.

Dewey

BirdistheWord
October 24th, 2017, 06:42 PM
NDSU

Bisonator
October 24th, 2017, 06:50 PM
Missouri State

Coyote Fan
October 24th, 2017, 07:01 PM
You know the sad part? I'm willing to bet the people picking MSU are more likely to survive than the ones picking USD.

I will take that bet. I say the Coyotes beat the Salukis worse then the Bears beat the Trees assuming both teams win.

Mayville Bison
October 25th, 2017, 09:12 AM
MSU please

RabidRabbit
October 25th, 2017, 03:52 PM
MSU either continue or go down with majority.

djohnk
October 26th, 2017, 07:37 AM
usd 4 me

Redbird007
October 26th, 2017, 08:26 AM
Missouri State

Sycamore62
October 26th, 2017, 08:49 AM
I was surprised that 5 Dimes has us as a pick em with Missouri St

The Yo Show
October 26th, 2017, 01:48 PM
South Dakota for me this week

UNIFanSince1983
October 26th, 2017, 02:11 PM
I was surprised that 5 Dimes has us as a pick em with Missouri St

Good or bad surprised?

dgtw
October 26th, 2017, 02:51 PM
Missouri State

Sycamore62
October 26th, 2017, 03:01 PM
Good or bad surprised?

at this point pleasantly. i compared our starting 11 to the starting 11 week 1. not good.

clenz
October 26th, 2017, 03:20 PM
Pugh predicted MSU by 5
Massey has ISUb by 3 with 55% confidence

Basically a toss up

BisonTru
October 26th, 2017, 03:43 PM
Youngstown State

Sycamore62
October 26th, 2017, 04:02 PM
Pugh predicted MSU by 5
Massey has ISUb by 3 with 55% confidence

Basically a toss up

I gotta lean toward MSU. I know the game only matters to fans of each school and the guys who picked them in this. I just think we have been too beaten up. we have too many people playing too much and some of them should be watching a better player instead of starting.

Schism55
October 26th, 2017, 04:12 PM
Missouri St please

MTfan4life
October 26th, 2017, 04:42 PM
I'll take South Dakota

ST_Lawson
October 26th, 2017, 07:23 PM
I gotta lean toward MSU. I know the game only matters to fans of each school and the guys who picked them in this. I just think we have been too beaten up. we have too many people playing too much and some of them should be watching a better player instead of starting.

I think you're probably right on this. Early in the season, I would have said it'd be a tossup, but with all the injuries and stuff you guys have, I think MSU has the edge...not by a ton, but it is an edge.

dgtw
October 27th, 2017, 09:36 PM
By my count:
Missouri St 11
USD 7
NDSU 1
YSU 1

BisonTru
October 28th, 2017, 10:56 PM
****!

1 eliminated - yours truly.

Decided to go against the pack and so far this year that hasn't worked out well. In the last four weeks we've only eliminated 6 posters. Nice work guys.

BirdistheWord
Illinois State
South Dakota St
Western Illinois
Southern Illinois
North Dakota St

Bison56
Illinois State
South Dakota St
South Dakota
Southern Illinois
Missouri St

Bisonator
Illinois State
North Dakota St
Western Illinois
Southern Illinois
Missouri St

BisonFan02
North Dakota St
South Dakota St
Western Illinois
Southern Illinois
Missouri St

CappinHard
Illinois State
South Dakota St
Western Illinois
North Dakota St
South Dakota

Coyote Fan
North Dakota St
South Dakota St
Western Illinois
Southern Illinois
South Dakota

DA BEAR
North Dakota St
South Dakota St
Western Illinois
Southern Illinois
Missouri St

Dewey
North Dakota St
South Dakota St
Western Illinois
Southern Illinois
South Dakota

dgtw
Illinois State
North Dakota St
Western Illinois
Southern Illinois
Missouri St

djohnk
North Dakota St
South Dakota St
Western Illinois
Southern Illinois
South Dakota

JSUSoutherner
Illinois State
North Dakota St
Western Illinois
South Dakota St
South Dakota

Mayville Bison
Illinois State
North Dakota St
Western Illinois
South Dakota St
Missouri St

MTfan4life
North Dakota St
South Dakota St
Western Illinois
Southern Illinois
South Dakota

RabidRabbit
Illinois State
North Dakota St
South Dakota
South Dakota St
Missouri St

Redbird007
Illinois State
North Dakota St
South Dakota
South Dakota St
Missouri St

Schism55
Illinois State
South Dakota St
Western Illinois
Southern Illinois
Missouri St

Southern Bison
Illinois State
North Dakota St
Western Illinois
Southern Illinois
Missouri St

The Yo Show
North Dakota St
South Dakota St
Western Illinois
Southern Illinois
South Dakota

BisonTru
North Dakota St
South Dakota St
South Dakota
Southern Illinois
Youngstown St

Carolina010
North Dakota St
South Dakota St
Illinois State

UpstateBison
Illinois State
North Dakota St
South Dakota St

mango433
Illinois State
Youngstown St

Penguin Nation
Northern Iowa
Illinois St

ST_Lawson
North Dakota St
Illinois St

clenz
Southern Illinois

cx500d
Southern Illinois

Evolution Prime
Western Illinois

Mattymc727
Southern Illinois

POD Knows
South Dakota St

SUPharmacist
Southern Illinois

Sycamore62
Western Illinois

TheKingpin28
Southern Illinois

Thumper76
Western Illinois

UNIFanSince1983
Indiana State

JSUSoutherner
October 28th, 2017, 11:00 PM
Bye Felicia.

I'll take SIU this week.

Southern Bison
October 28th, 2017, 11:06 PM
****!

1 eliminated - yours truly.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171029/c555b53cd830adafafa1f61f307c8382.jpg

dgtw
October 30th, 2017, 08:06 PM
South Dakota

Sycamore62
October 30th, 2017, 08:51 PM
This is the week to take ISUb. unless Youngstown can pass the ball

CappinHard
October 30th, 2017, 10:54 PM
Missouri State

I had SIU pegged for this week, but with the injuries, I think MSU can win this game.

Coyote Fan
October 31st, 2017, 01:54 AM
It is a scary week but I will take Illinois State

dewey
October 31st, 2017, 07:58 AM
I will take Youngstown State this weekend.

Dewey

Bison56
October 31st, 2017, 09:15 AM
NDSU

RabidRabbit
October 31st, 2017, 10:40 AM
YSU this week 11/4

Bisonator
October 31st, 2017, 11:55 AM
Youngstown State

djohnk
October 31st, 2017, 09:02 PM
I'll take YSU

Redbird007
October 31st, 2017, 09:27 PM
Gotta take YSU.

BirdistheWord
November 1st, 2017, 09:59 AM
YSU

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Mayville Bison
November 1st, 2017, 10:06 AM
Gonna gamble with SIU

DA BEAR
November 1st, 2017, 07:02 PM
YSU

Schism55
November 3rd, 2017, 01:16 AM
YSU for this guy.

BisonFan02
November 3rd, 2017, 11:19 AM
YSU

The Yo Show
November 4th, 2017, 10:29 AM
YSU

JSUSoutherner
November 4th, 2017, 08:56 PM
Well fellas, it's been fun.

dgtw
November 4th, 2017, 10:29 PM
Well fellas, it's been fun.

A real bloodbath today.

CappinHard
November 5th, 2017, 01:09 AM
Do I get extra credit for calling an MSU win? They were 17 point dogs.

ST_Lawson
November 5th, 2017, 09:18 AM
Do I get extra credit for calling an MSU win? They were 17 point dogs.

Good lord....17 point underdogs? That's insane. Do they not pay attention to injuries or anything? I would have thought SIU without Straub would have been nearly even with MSU or maybe with a slight (2-3 point) advantage. I would have taken MSU in that all day. There's no way SIU was going to stay 17 points ahead of MSU with their current situation.

JSUSoutherner
November 5th, 2017, 09:30 AM
Good lord....17 point underdogs? That's insane. Do they not pay attention to injuries or anything? I would have thought SIU without Straub would have been nearly even with MSU or maybe with a slight (2-3 point) advantage. I would have taken MSU in that all day. There's no way SIU was going to stay 17 points ahead of MSU with their current situation.

I knew about the injuries. But I figured a SIU could beat the MVFC equivalent of Murray State.

CappinHard
November 5th, 2017, 01:25 PM
I would have taken MSU in that all day. There's no way SIU was going to stay 17 points ahead of MSU with their current situation.

xnodx

Southern Bison
November 7th, 2017, 07:29 AM
Is there an updated scorecard after this weekend?

dewey
November 7th, 2017, 11:44 AM
Come on Tru.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26442&stc=1

Just busting your chops. Good job on running this.

Dewey

BisonTru
November 7th, 2017, 03:57 PM
12 survive, 6 eliminated

BirdistheWord
Illinois State
South Dakota St
Western Illinois
Southern Illinois
North Dakota St
Youngstown St

Bisonator
Illinois State
North Dakota St
Western Illinois
Southern Illinois
Missouri St
Youngstown St

BisonFan02
North Dakota St
South Dakota St
Western Illinois
Southern Illinois
Missouri St
Youngstown St

CappinHard
Illinois State
South Dakota St
Western Illinois
North Dakota St
South Dakota
Missouri St

DA BEAR
North Dakota St
South Dakota St
Western Illinois
Southern Illinois
Missouri St
Youngstown St

Dewey
North Dakota St
South Dakota St
Western Illinois
Southern Illinois
South Dakota
Youngstown St

djohnk
North Dakota St
South Dakota St
Western Illinois
Southern Illinois
South Dakota
Youngstown St

RabidRabbit
Illinois State
North Dakota St
South Dakota
South Dakota St
Missouri St
Youngstown St

Redbird007
Illinois State
North Dakota St
South Dakota
South Dakota St
Missouri St
Youngstown St

Schism55
Illinois State
South Dakota St
Western Illinois
Southern Illinois
Missouri St
Youngstown St

Southern Bison
Illinois State
North Dakota St
Western Illinois
Southern Illinois
Missouri St
Youngstown St

The Yo Show
North Dakota St
South Dakota St
Western Illinois
Southern Illinois
South Dakota
Youngstown St

Bison56
Illinois State
South Dakota St
South Dakota
Southern Illinois
Missouri St
North Dakota St

Coyote Fan
North Dakota St
South Dakota St
Western Illinois
Southern Illinois
South Dakota
Illinois St

dgtw
Illinois State
North Dakota St
Western Illinois
Southern Illinois
Missouri St
South Dakota

JSUSoutherner
Illinois State
North Dakota St
Western Illinois
South Dakota St
South Dakota
Southern Illinois

Mayville Bison
Illinois State
North Dakota St
Western Illinois
South Dakota St
Missouri St
Southern Illinois

MTfan4life
North Dakota St
South Dakota St
Western Illinois
Southern Illinois
South Dakota
No Pick

dewey
November 7th, 2017, 04:43 PM
Northern Iowa for me please.

Dewey

CappinHard
November 7th, 2017, 04:50 PM
Northern Iowa Panthers

I have to post this because this guy's Panther noise is the best (it's at 0:09, but if you haven't seen the whole thing, I recommend indulging). I think Clenz needs to make a video like this for his Panthers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3qC9NKDt0c

clenz
November 7th, 2017, 06:13 PM
He’s factually wrong.

Panthers are not black.

Also, for reference panthers do not roar. They are the only species of large cat that can’t roar.

They are barely a large cat at all, actually.

The Yo Show
November 7th, 2017, 06:16 PM
If you are speaking of specifically, a black panther, my mind was just blown by Wikipedia "A black panther is the melanistic color variant of any big cat species. Black panthers in Asia and Africa are leopards, and those in the Americas are black jaguars." xdrunkyx

Also, Clenz I'm sure you have a lot of information on this topic, and I'm probably wrong and could use your clarification (which on a sidenote I distinctly remember you giving information on panthers before) but I found this: "There are four big cats that can roar: lion, tiger, leopard and jaguar - all of which belong to the genus Panthera. In these species, the epihyal bone, part of the voice box, is replaced by a ligament. This can be stretched, creating a larger sound-producing passage and thus a wider range of pitch." that is from discover wildlife magazine.

Also found, according to bing definition:
pan·ther

NOUN

panthers (plural noun)

a leopard, especially a black one.

NORTH AMERICAN

a cougar.

Which seems to fit the above, with the exception that according to the bing definition, it would be a cougar in north America... which fits what you said because Cougars cannot roar (also verified by bing).

Ultimately, this creates a conundrum. If you are using the definition of panther for a largish black cat it depends on where you are in the world as to whether you could say whether or not the "panther" you are referring to is likely to roar. Apparently, if it is in the US, and it is indeed a black jaguar, then yes this panther can roar. If it is a black cougar it cannot and if you are in Asia then they always can roar.

The Yo Show
November 7th, 2017, 07:00 PM
I'll take Illinois State

*** this is an edit on 11-7-17, as I had originally taken UNI. I had to switch to Illinois State when I realized they had to be my pick either this week or next week and I prefer their chances this week. I have picked well, but didn't really do a good job to set up the final picks it seems. So for complete clarification my pick is Illinois State***

BirdistheWord
November 7th, 2017, 07:04 PM
UNI

Bisonator
November 7th, 2017, 07:28 PM
UNI

clenz
November 7th, 2017, 08:59 PM
If you are speaking of specifically, a black panther, my mind was just blown by Wikipedia "A black panther is the melanistic color variant of any big cat species. Black panthers in Asia and Africa are leopards, and those in the Americas are black jaguars." xdrunkyx

Also, Clenz I'm sure you have a lot of information on this topic, and I'm probably wrong and could use your clarification (which on a sidenote I distinctly remember you giving information on panthers before) but I found this: "There are four big cats that can roar: lion, tiger, leopard and jaguar - all of which belong to the genus Panthera. In these species, the epihyal bone, part of the voice box, is replaced by a ligament. This can be stretched, creating a larger sound-producing passage and thus a wider range of pitch." that is from discover wildlife magazine.

Also found, according to bing definition:
pan·ther

NOUN

panthers (plural noun)

a leopard, especially a black one.

NORTH AMERICAN

a cougar.

Which seems to fit the above, with the exception that according to the bing definition, it would be a cougar in north America... which fits what you said because Cougars cannot roar (also verified by bing).

Ultimately, this creates a conundrum. If you are using the definition of panther for a largish black cat it depends on where you are in the world as to whether you could say whether or not the "panther" you are referring to is likely to roar. Apparently, if it is in the US, and it is indeed a black jaguar, then yes this panther can roar. If it is a black cougar it cannot and if you are in Asia then they always can roar.

Panthera is a scientific genus species of the cat family. Because of that the term “panther” gets over used. A black panther is a generic term for, as you found, a melanistic cat. In the America’s a black panther is a jaguar. It is NOT a melanistic panther.

A panther is the exact same animal as a mountain lion, cougar, puma and catamount. Those are all literally the same exact animal. Just a different name for it. There has never been a melanistic variation of this species of cat recorded. Ever. It doesn’t exist. There is no such thing as a panther that is black. It doesn’t exist.

It should be called a black jaguar, but due to it happening to different species of cats around the world - BUT NEVER TO AN ACTUAL PANTHER - they use the generic term Panther.

There is a significant difference that proves this. Look at the face of a panther

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171108/51d583912e4889ff2f1357783d4dc8d2.jpeg

Notice how sleek it is. Now google pictures of black panthers.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171108/804c606b3b026580ee3b45aaee016945.jpeg

Notice how much larger that is? It’s because it’s a ****ing jaguar - which are significantly bigger than a panther.

AAMOF black panthers aren’t actually black. They still have their spots. It just depends on the angle the light is hitting them if you’ll see them.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171108/6067a89d7438a70dfa3732a394886d6f.jpeg

Notice how that animal looks nothing like a mountain lion - aka a panther?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171108/a901b26def27789f3f92dd52b9502426.jpeg

Leopard vs panther...again massive difference

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171108/7fedd2a3d095f45e4d8609fefd8b401c.jpg

To close black panther is a misnomer, and 99.99693% of people are too lazy to care. There is no such thing as a panther that is black. The phrase black panther is a lazy/Lehman way to refer to a jaguar in America and a leopard in Asia. Also, none of the melanistic versions of those animals are actually black.

Panthers are very...very....small compared to the other large cats. There is a decent sized group of scientists that believe they should be removed from the large cat list.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171108/73df6f6ddd0f56946b831bce2f86049a.jpeg

ST_Lawson
November 7th, 2017, 09:27 PM
Annual MVFC thread devolves into lengthy pizza discussions.
MVFC Survivor pool thread becomes Animal Planet.

I love this place.

CappinHard
November 7th, 2017, 11:27 PM
He’s factually wrong.

Panthers are not black.

Also, for reference panthers do not roar. They are the only species of large cat that can’t roar.

They are barely a large cat at all, actually.

This has been very informative and interesting. However, he does match the roar that the Carolina Panthers use (albeit incorrectly) to a T. Plus, none of this stops you from creating a new and improved Northern Iowa Panthers version that features accurate panther related rhymes. I'll get a kickstarter page going so we can do this right.

CappinHard
November 7th, 2017, 11:40 PM
I'm guessing you wish UNI's mascot was more like FIU's or Pittsburgh's then?

Redbird007
November 8th, 2017, 03:36 AM
Western Illinois University

RabidRabbit
November 8th, 2017, 05:51 AM
Uni for 11/11 games.

clenz
November 8th, 2017, 08:11 AM
I'm guessing you wish UNI's mascot was more like FIU's or Pittsburgh's then?
Yes. 100%. I'm well known in the UNI world as despising our logo, our use of yellow over old gold, and being "just okay" with the use of a jaguar as our mascots at games. Promoting our panther mascot as jaguar is speciest and ignorant. We actually have panthers in the state of Iowa. We have confirmed sightings within the last month or two. It's not like we don't have them and haven't seen them.

His sound of a panther isn't too far off given he's a human trying to keep a relative beat. Panthers squeak, purr and scream, they don't roar. This next video is also misnamed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1n6LAxY7uY&t=8s

There's a reason that pioneers, and Native Americans, believed in the spooky **** in the dark hundreds of years ago. Imagine hearing that **** in the middle of the night and not knowing what it was. Add a bobcat catterwalling on top of it.

The sound he made is the stereotypical scream that pretty much every panther themed team uses is a mountain lion scream. In itself that isn't factually incorrect.

ST_Lawson
November 8th, 2017, 08:51 AM
There's a reason that pioneers, and Native Americans, believed in the spooky **** in the dark hundreds of years ago. Imagine hearing that **** in the middle of the night and not knowing what it was. Add a bobcat catterwalling on top of it.

We have a mountain lion in our area too that's been sighted a few times in the last year or so. I've heard it screaming before from the woods near my house. I knew what it was and it still freaked me the hell out.

clenz
November 8th, 2017, 09:07 AM
Annual MVFC thread devolves into lengthy pizza discussions.
MVFC Survivor pool thread becomes Animal Planet.

I love this place.
Notice how the threads that derail into interesting topics are the MVFC topics.

Safe to say we keep this place cool.

clenz
November 8th, 2017, 09:21 AM
We have a mountain lion in our area too that's been sighted a few times in the last year or so. I've heard it screaming before from the woods near my house. I knew what it was and it still freaked me the hell out.
I read it in the comment section across a few different youtube videos but they genuinely sound like a woman being brutally beaten/raped in the middle of the night. It's horrifying. Seriously, we have the internet and know what it is and it's still enough to stop someone in fear and **** their pants. Imagine being the pioneers, or even generations after the first ones, to be in make shift houses/tents/shacks/etc... and hearing that ****. You have no idea what the **** that is. Couple that with all of the other sounds that were around the plains and mountains and you certainly get some pretty trumped up stories about monsters and ghosts pretty quick.

I'm normally not this anal about animals, their sounds, and color but the panther has always intrigued the **** out of me. Their size in relation to the other big cats, the range that they inhabit - even today, the range of sounds they make from sounding like a house cat to sounding like a big cat, their look, just...for some reason they are the one animal that has always been "my animal". The misinformation about them is insane, and I believed all of it until I started doing some looking on it for a 6th grade science project. It was then I started getting hooked on the truth of the panther. They are so incredibly close to a "house cat" yet so very different. They are a "big cat" yet so very different.

I've started taking a liking to bobcats recently and just starting to really dig into them. The fact that people have, and continue, to successfully domesticate them to live with their other cats and dogs is crazy. Those ****ers can take down things like deer, elk, etc... Yet they live just like a standard house cat. It's just nuts.

What the video starting where I have it and for about 20-30 seconds. You can see it just knows that the other house cat has no chance even though it's showing it's fighting side. The fact the bobcat makes is great

https://youtu.be/aESAKt3teu0?t=55s

ST_Lawson
November 8th, 2017, 09:29 AM
I've started taking a liking to bobcats recently and just starting to really dig into them. The fact that people have, and continue, to successfully domesticate them to live with their other cats and dogs is crazy. Those ****ers can take down things like deer, elk, etc... Yet they live just like a standard house cat. It's just nuts.

What the video starting where I have it and for about 20-30 seconds. You can see it just knows that the other house cat has no chance even though it's showing it's fighting side. The fact the bobcat makes is great

https://youtu.be/aESAKt3teu0?t=55s

That is crazy. The bobcat is like "this is my counter now, bitch" and the housecat is pretty much "is there any way I can get out of this alive?"

I'm not really a big fan of having non-domesticated animals as in-house pets though. Any animal with claws and teeth can be dangerous, including domesticated ones, but to have something like a bobcat living in your house?...just seems a bit risky to me.

djohnk
November 8th, 2017, 06:25 PM
UNI for me

DA BEAR
November 8th, 2017, 06:46 PM
UNI please