PDA

View Full Version : Top 25 Demographics

ElonFirefighter
September 25th, 2017, 11:40 AM
I know our conference is one of the choices as we make our selection so I assume the data is being gathered. Is there a way to get a breakdown to the number of voters(avid) in each conference?

BisonFan02
September 25th, 2017, 11:48 AM
xcoffeex :D

ursus arctos horribilis
September 25th, 2017, 02:25 PM
Yes. I will get it in a bit for you.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 25th, 2017, 02:32 PM
Week 4:

Voters By Conference:
Big Sky Conference 9
Big South Conference 1
Colonial Athletic Association 21
Independent 1
Ivy League 1
Mid-Eastern Athletic conference 1
Missouri Valley Football Conference 26
Northeast Conference 1
Ohio Valley Conference 2
Patriot League 5
Pioneer Football Conference 0
Southern Conference 6
Southland Conference 5
Southwestern Athletic Conference 1

ElonFirefighter
September 25th, 2017, 03:18 PM
Week 4:

Voters By Conference:

Pioneer Football Conference 0

I guess that is the reason no Pioneer football teams in the polls ;). Thanks surprised SoCon is so low and its so top heavy from two conferences.

POD Knows
September 25th, 2017, 03:20 PM
I guess that is the reason no Pioneer football teams in the polls ;). Thanks surprised SoCon is so low and its so top heavy from two conferences.Yea, our polling wouldn't have anything to do with FCS OOC records or anything, nah, just conference bias. Got it.

Thumper 76
September 25th, 2017, 03:22 PM
I guess that is the reason no Pioneer football teams in the polls ;). Thanks surprised SoCon is so low and its so top heavy from two conferences.

Weak attempt to prove MVFC favoritism noted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BisonFan02
September 25th, 2017, 03:24 PM

It was noted in post #2....

POD Knows
September 25th, 2017, 03:27 PM
It was noted in post #2....Yea, we knew where this was headed. BTW, wasn't Elon that school that Al Pacino was going to burn down in Scent of a Woman? :D

ElonFirefighter
September 25th, 2017, 03:27 PM

Not trying to prove MVFC biases just saying im surprised SoCon isn't higher. I know they lost a lot of voters when App/GSU left but I figured there would be more. Personally I'd love to see it more evenly spread between all the power conferences, ie those with multiple Teams in the rankings. If there is a Biases its not as much as a purposeful one but more coming from the skewed coverage of the teams you follow.

BisonFan02
September 25th, 2017, 03:29 PM
Not trying to prove MVFC biases just saying im surprised SoCon isn't higher. I know they lost a lot of voters when App/GSU left but I figured there would be more. Personally I'd love to see it more evenly spread between all the power conferences, ie those with multiple Teams in the rankings. If there is a Biases its not as much as a purposeful one but more coming from the skewed coverage of the teams you follow.

It's not though.....we've been through this before. I know someone did the exercise before and found just about ZERO conference bias when it is calculated by only members of 1 conference versus the consensus poll.

Thumper 76
September 25th, 2017, 03:31 PM

So: I'm not saying there bias but there's bias from being more familiar with your conference teams. Talk about talking out of both sides of your mouth. You know a lot of us make an effort to actually watch games for teams we vote on.

ElonFirefighter
September 25th, 2017, 03:35 PM
It's not though.....we've been through this before. I know someone did the exercise before and found just about ZERO conference bias when it is calculated by only members of 1 conference versus the consensus poll.

I was just curious as the spread of the voters. I understand the AGS has been proven the most accurate poll looking at progress through the season and the final. The conference bias I am referring to is more in line of how I gave Furman more credit in there loss to us due to my feeling we are underrated, same with not nixing Richmond for the same reason. I have more knowledge in the CAA and can make a more analytical decision that goes beyond just numbers.

ElonFirefighter
September 25th, 2017, 03:40 PM
Other than my Pioneer Comment I didn't intend this to be smack. As most national polls list where the voters are coming from I was only inquiring on the same. It not intended to put any voter down as many voters put far more time into this than I have available. Im sorry if you took this as an insult

ElCid
September 25th, 2017, 03:50 PM
Other than my Pioneer Comment I didn't intend this to be smack. As most national polls list where the voters are coming from I was only inquiring on the same. It not intended to put any voter down as many voters put far more time into this than I have available. Im sorry if you took this as an insult

They have some thin skins sometimes. I knew what you meant. We do have a fairly unbiased poll. But I think it may appear more biased due to some comments made by folks than it actually is.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 25th, 2017, 03:52 PM

Why? It is always that way. Years back it was top heavy with the SoCon due to GSU and App St. being in the mix all the time. It's bound to be tipped in the direction of the two most exciting conferences at this time is what I am saying.

POD Knows
September 25th, 2017, 03:54 PM
Other than my Pioneer Comment I didn't intend this to be smack. As most national polls list where the voters are coming from I was only inquiring on the same. It not intended to put any voter down as many voters put far more time into this than I have available. Im sorry if you took this as an insultWe didn't, we are just breaking your balls but I got to confess, I admitted that I wasn't real familiar with your program so I did a little research, brought myself up to speed a little bit and I put you in the poll.

ElonFirefighter
September 25th, 2017, 04:01 PM
We didn't, we are just breaking your balls but I got to confess, I admitted that I wasn't real familiar with your program so I did a little research, brought myself up to speed a little bit and I put you in the poll.

Just wanted to make sure. And as for not knowing about our program, the bias here is minimal. Voters read posts people argue for there team. So you may not know about a Team and could overlook them rising up, but they will be on your radar far sooner due to the posters (On the Bandwagon). In some of these other polls, (STATS, Coaches) it appears the voters are on an island.

The Pud
September 25th, 2017, 05:59 PM
Just wanted to make sure. And as for not knowing about our program, the bias here is minimal. Voters read posts people argue for there team. So you may not know about a Team and could overlook them rising up, but they will be on your radar far sooner due to the posters (On the Bandwagon). In some of these other polls, (STATS, Coaches) it appears the voters are on an island.

I have to agree with you on this. I scratch my head sometimes when I see these polls. Like this weeks Stats poll that has Richmond ahead of you guys (Elon) when you just beat them.

cx500d
September 25th, 2017, 06:02 PM
Yea, we knew where this was headed. BTW, wasn't Elon that school that Al Pacino was going to burn down in Scent of a Woman? :D

I'm embarrassed for you that you actually watched Scent of a Woman

The Pud
September 25th, 2017, 06:03 PM
I'm embarrassed for you that you actually watched Scent of a Woman

That is a classic film sir!! One of my favourites!

Reign of Terrier
September 25th, 2017, 06:10 PM
Holy **** there are so few Socon people. I trust the methods of the people running the poll, but damn

NorthChuckSouth
September 25th, 2017, 06:30 PM
Holy **** there are so few Socon people. I trust the methods of the people running the poll, but damn

I don't want to hear it xlolx

KPSUL
September 25th, 2017, 07:24 PM
Yea, we knew where this was headed. BTW, wasn't Elon that school that Al Pacino was going to burn down in Scent of a Woman? :D

Nope, the Bard School in New Hampshire. No such place by the way.

POD Knows
September 25th, 2017, 10:05 PM
I'm embarrassed for you that you actually watched Scent of a WomanI use that same joke every time I want to make fun of some private school someplace, I need to get new material.

POD Knows
September 25th, 2017, 10:05 PM
Nope, the Bard School in New Hampshire. No such place by the way.I know, read my reply to CX500, my material is getting stale.

cx500d
September 25th, 2017, 10:07 PM
I use that same joke every time I want to make fun of some private school someplace, I need to get new material.

That’s good that your are publicly secure in your @manhood

BucBisonAtLarge
September 25th, 2017, 11:18 PM
I voted Elon two weeks in a row. This week's ballot is in the thread. I am mystified.
What is your case here?
AGS picked Elon 21
STATS picked Elon 23
College Football Madness 25
Coaches poll they were at 27, outside the Top 25.
I generally trust this adhoc crew of nerds as the best poll.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 25th, 2017, 11:22 PM
Intellectually and analytically the 5 Patriot League voters and 1 Ivy League voter are really like 20 MVFC voters? :Dxdrunkyx

Signed,
A Temple grad...

BisonFan02
September 25th, 2017, 11:49 PM
Intellectually and analytically the 5 Patriot League voters and 1 Ivy League voter are really like 20 MVFC voters? :Dxdrunkyx

Signed,
A Temple grad...

xlolx Based on the publicly shared Patriot/Ivy polls, I would beg to differ. :D

Thumper 76
September 26th, 2017, 12:40 AM

Excuse me, but I've been arguing against my team right now sir. :D

I definitely use some of the posts that bring up certain teams for me to make sure I keep an eye on the through ESPN3. The Sanford WCU game was a fun one to watch.

dgtw
September 26th, 2017, 07:20 AM

In a perfect world you'd have a perfect balance of fan bases represented. But the polling membership is limited to people who post here and volunteer to do it.

If anyone wants more voters from their school or conference, then get out there and recruit people to register here and start posting.

In the end, this is just a fan poll. The NCAA doesn't use it for picking teams or seeding, so I don't get bent out of shape if my team isn't ranked where I think they should be.

OhioHen
September 26th, 2017, 07:30 AM

I'm a CAA guy. That doesn't mean CAA teams get bumped up artificially.

6 of my top 14 this week are MVFC. There is no MVFC bias except the recognition that it's the top conference right now.

Additionally, I have 2 SoCon, 2 SLC, and 2 BSC teams (among others) ahead of my second CAA team.

walliver
September 26th, 2017, 08:32 AM
I received an invitation to vote 10 years ago or so. I tried filling out a ballot, but after picking the first 8-10 teams, I realized that I know little to nothing about most western teams, so I gave up and left the voting to people willing to give the time required to create a fair ballot.

At times, I feel like the AD's and SID's who do the actual voting in the coaches polls are in the same situation I was in.

Southern Bison
September 26th, 2017, 08:35 AM
Excuse me, but I've been arguing against my team right now sir. :D

I definitely use some of the posts that bring up certain teams for me to make sure I keep an eye on the through ESPN3. The Sanford WCU game was a fun one to watch.

The hospital has a football team?? ;)

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170926/2f520b4e8f35ac56810d7b1d5cb1e945.jpg
Touchdown celebrations are doctor poses.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ElonFirefighter
September 26th, 2017, 08:58 AM

They do have a Team
http://www.dvdizzy.com/images/q-s/scrubs5-19.jpg

ElCid
September 26th, 2017, 11:06 AM
In a perfect world you'd have a perfect balance of fan bases represented. But the polling membership is limited to people who post here and volunteer to do it.

If anyone wants more voters from their school or conference, then get out there and recruit people to register here and start posting.

In the end, this is just a fan poll. The NCAA doesn't use it for picking teams or seeding, so I don't get bent out of shape if my team isn't ranked where I think they should be.

Exactly. BUT, as a point of pride, and we would have to have Ursus check if he has kept track of it, we have been pretty spot the last few years predicting the correct playoff teams. The other polls have not been quite as good at doing that.

RabidRabbit
September 26th, 2017, 11:18 AM
I believe that 2016 AGS poll had all 24 teams pegged for the play-offs, though not all were in top 25 (Pioneer, NEC auto-bids, not), and had the seeds (although 7/8 were reversed) pegged.

dgtw
September 26th, 2017, 01:06 PM
I received an invitation to vote 10 years ago or so. I tried filling out a ballot, but after picking the first 8-10 teams, I realized that I know little to nothing about most western teams, so I gave up and left the voting to people willing to give the time required to create a fair ballot.

At times, I feel like the AD's and SID's who do the actual voting in the coaches polls are in the same situation I was in.

I don't vote because I don't follow the national scene that closely and honestly don't care much beyond my own team.

I think a lot of the big name pollsters just do this:

1. Looks at last week's poll
2. Moves winners up
3. Moves losers down
4. Make a couple changes so it isn't obvious I copied or to help out a buddy

Catbooster
September 26th, 2017, 01:20 PM
I don't vote because I don't follow the national scene that closely and honestly don't care much beyond my own team.

I think a lot of the big name pollsters just do this:

1. Looks at last week's poll
2. Moves winners up
3. Moves losers down
4. Make a couple changes so it isn't obvious I copied or to help out a buddy

I think you're largely right about this for the STATS or coaches' poll. I don't think it's that common on AGS.

Thumper 76
September 26th, 2017, 01:55 PM

Dammit xlolx ****ing autocorrect

WestCoastAggie
September 26th, 2017, 02:01 PM

Yes, the SID's vote for the Coaches in the polls. Many SID's also vote in the Stats FCS poll.

TBH, SID's have enough on their plates as the PR arms of the Athletic Departments. Many do fantastic jobs running the team's websites, collecting stats for the media outlets, and now gathering video of their teams for YouTube and social media.

Schism55
September 26th, 2017, 02:17 PM
They do have a Team
http://www.dvdizzy.com/images/q-s/scrubs5-19.jpg
By far the best ep of that show.
Mercy flush!!!

ursus arctos horribilis
September 26th, 2017, 04:05 PM
Exactly. BUT, as a point of pride, and we would have to have Ursus check if he has kept track of it, we have been pretty spot the last few years predicting the correct playoff teams. The other polls have not been quite as good at doing that.

The AGS Poll has been the most predictive poll of all of them for a decade I think it is now. I know the last 5 yrs. we've been very good including all 8 seeds last year being picked correctly. I started something about 5 yrs. ago to track them all but I can't even remember where I put the spreadsheet now...or what I named it. xlolx