PDA

View Full Version : Albany vs. Elon

BestDaneSinceHamlet
September 25th, 2017, 11:33 AM
Don't know too much about Elon other than they seem to be scoring pretty much at will. Any Elon-ites, please break it down.

This summer it looked like this game was never going to happen, and now whoever wins steps into the upper echelon of the CAA. Crazy conference.

And for those of you trolls who think their ascendency is a sign of the weakening of the CAA, it's more of a paradigm shift. Albany has a legit defense that except for a few plays shut down an FBS squad. They wouldn't have let these teams in if they didn't think the programs could grow and compete.

KPSUL
September 26th, 2017, 02:46 PM
Don't know too much about Elon other than they seem to be scoring pretty much at will. Any Elon-ites, please break it down.

This summer it looked like this game was never going to happen, and now whoever wins steps into the upper echelon of the CAA. Crazy conference.

And for those of you trolls who think their ascendency is a sign of the weakening of the CAA, it's more of a paradigm shift. Albany has a legit defense that except for a few plays shut down an FBS squad. They wouldn't have let these teams in if they didn't think the programs could grow and compete.

Unless they were mostly defensive points I've never heard anyone describe a defense giving up 31 points as "except for a few plays, shutting down" an opponent.

PaladinFan
September 26th, 2017, 02:55 PM
Elon's a good team.

Offensively, I was impressed with their agressiveness. They will get after you downfield. They have previously used a two QB system, but have sort of just been leaning on the better passer in recent games.

Defensively, they run a bit of a unique defensive in a 3-3-5. They are not particularly good tacklers. One noticeable deficiency (at least early on) was in special teams coverage. They seem to give up a good bit of yardage on kick returns. In my opinion, a product of not being a particularly good tackling team.

Not the best Elon team I had seen. Not the worst Elon team I had seen.

BNATION
September 26th, 2017, 03:29 PM
I'll take Albany bringing the Elonians, Elonites, whatever, back down to earth after their upset victory against the Spiders. Albany stiffens up and wins a nail biter 33-31

Schism55
September 26th, 2017, 03:34 PM
Elon's a good team.

Offensively, I was impressed with their agressiveness. They will get after you downfield. They have previously used a two QB system, but have sort of just been leaning on the better passer in recent games.

Defensively, they run a bit of a unique defensive in a 3-3-5. They are not particularly good tacklers. One noticeable deficiency (at least early on) was in special teams coverage. They seem to give up a good bit of yardage on kick returns. In my opinion, a product of not being a particularly good tackling team.

Not the best Elon team I had seen. Not the worst Elon team I had seen.
That never ends well.

phoenix3
September 26th, 2017, 04:20 PM
Elon has been a surprise to most of us Elonites this year. We weren't without solid players at many positions, but we had a gaping hole at QB and play calling had been questionable and untimely throughout the past 6 seasons. So that's a mini capsule of what we were.

It seems like I have said this every year for the past 6 years, but we are young. we have a number of true freshmen starting at key positions. of all the squads on our team, the offensive line is the most experienced, and has been improving with each game we have played. Interestingly, when we played Furman, we were pass heavy. Our freshman QB threw for 301 yards and a couple of TDs. Since then we have been run heavy. Malcom Summers, originally 3rd on the RB depth chart, has run for 178 yards against Charleston Southern and 297 yards against Richmond. So at least right now, I would say we are a spread offense with emphasis on the run, but we also have a passing attack when it is needed.

I had expected our defense to perform a little less effectively because of graduation and the new scheme, 3-3-5. The D is still a bit soft with regard to both passing and rushing yards given up, however, they have been really effective in the red zone, which has kept us in a couple of games. They have really risen to the occasion when needed as well. We may have been less than superlative in tackling, but that has improved greatly over the past couple of weeks.

We are pretty much middle of the pack in the CAA on special teams.

I'm really looking forward to playing U Albany. I think you all match up well with us. I think this will be the toughest test we've had so far. really looking forward to the game.

Gangtackle11
September 26th, 2017, 05:52 PM
That never ends well.

Statiscally the #1 defense in the FCS last season ran a 30 stack (3-3-5) in Villanova. Held JMU to 20 & SDSU to 10. Just didn't have a top echelon offense to go with it.

Elon's DC was a defensive assistant @ Nova last season.

NorthChuckSouth
September 26th, 2017, 08:49 PM
Elon's qb isn't too bad and their rb is a workhorse.. this should be a really good game

Daytripper
September 26th, 2017, 10:54 PM
The winner is the school whose name begins with a vowel.

Elon1985
September 27th, 2017, 07:26 AM
From what I've noticed in each of the last three games, Elon jumps to a decent lead, then hangs on to get the win. Furman is an example; 21-0 at the end of the first quarter, hang on to win. CSU, same thing. Richmond, up 19-7, fall behind, come back to win.

For what ever reason, Elon has started faster, managed to maintain composure and win. Lots of young players, but just the eye-ball test tells me this staff has done a better job recruiting and preparing these kids.

Albany will be a real test for Elon...ought to be a fun game. Only reason I give Elon an edge in this game is (well, yes, I'm a homer) is that it's a home game...

sarge965
September 27th, 2017, 09:36 AM
Albany's defense will keep it close. It will be up to the offense to score better than they did against Villanova. Should be fun watching punt returns, McDonald has been worth the cost of admission the last 2 weeks.

RedFlash
September 27th, 2017, 11:26 AM
Albany's run defense should be the difference in this one.

phoenix3
September 30th, 2017, 08:23 PM
It was a physical defensive battle. 4 FCS wins, all in a different manner. Albany's defense was VERY tough. Best we've seen so far this year, including Toledo. Best of luck to the Danes the rest of the way.