PDA

View Full Version : Where would the FCS conferences rank in FBS rankings if they were an All-Star Team?

Pinnum
September 24th, 2017, 12:31 PM
If each FCS conference were able to put together a team of their best players from all member schools in the conference, how would each conference fair in the FBS ranks?

Would the MVFC or CAA be able to win an FBS National Championship if they combined all their best players?

Would the PFL All-Stars be a top-20 FBS team?

Obviously, individually FCS teams are able to compete with FBS teams but is there enough difference in the talent at each starting position that the top FBS teams would still be too much to overcome?

I am curious how they would stack up in people's opinions.

Milktruck74
September 24th, 2017, 12:42 PM
http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2016-04-28/nfl-draft-colleges-conferences-most-represented-last-10-years

This link has some numbers as to draft picks from each conference (2005-2015)....basically the FCS conferences have 10-30 picks, while the top 10 schools have 46-74 players. I think the FCS conference all stars would be competitive, but they still do not have the overall extent of talent that a top 5 (FBS Playoff) team does.

DFW HOYA
September 24th, 2017, 12:58 PM
Not very highly.

Even the best college players could not generally compete against an NFL team. From 1934 to 1976, this actually happened.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_College_All-Star_Game

TheKingpin28
September 24th, 2017, 01:06 PM
MVFC

LT: Spencer (YSU)
LG: Kuhnert (NDSU)
C: Volson (NDSU)
RG: Ziemer (NDSU)
RT: Ohensorge (SDSU)
WR: Wieneke (SDSU)
WR: Urzendowski (NDSU)
TE: Goedert (SDSU)
FB: Robbins (NDSU)
RB: Dunn (NDSU)
RB: McShane (WIU)
QB: Strevler (USeD)

DL: Menard [If Healthy] (NDSU)
DL: Morgan (NDSU)
DL: Tanguay (NDSU)
DL: Reth (UNI)
LB: DeLuca (NDSU)
LB: Rozeboom (SDSU)
LB: Taylor (WIU)
LB: Farley (UNI)
DB: Dempsey (NDSU)
DB: Grimsley (NDSU)
DB: Harris (ISUr)
DB: Washington (UNI)

KR: Anderson/Holliman (NDSU/Missery State)
P: Koonce (NDSU)
PK: Vinatieri (SDSU)

Honestly, if this team could gel, and Menard was healthy, this team does not lose 1 game, and I think would give up less than 10 a game, while putting up 40+ as well, regardless of who they play in the FCS. Strevler might be the best Pocket Passer in the league, and force teams to back out of the box, and then give the ball to McShane/Dunn and they run wild, otherwise, burn teams deep with RJ, or go for the reliable Wieneke or Goedert to keep moving the chains. Having Menard, Tanguay, Morgan, and Reth on the front 4 would require 6-7 blockers, and then send Farley and Rozeboom on the blitz and let DeLuca drop into coverage, and well, you would not run the ball at all on this team. That back 4 of Grimsley, Dempsey (can play CB or S), Harris, and Washington would prevent any pass as DeLuca would drop back and so could Farley, and well, your day would just be ruined.

JSUSoutherner
September 24th, 2017, 02:06 PM
Basically for the OVC, take JSU's defense, pepper in an extra corner or two and move Siran Neal back to nickel give Chris Collins a spot. Take TSU's Patrick Smith and plop him onto JSU's offense in place of Jamari Hester. Get a couple extra linemen for some depth. Krendrick Doss at QB. Roc Thomas and UTMs Ladarius Galloway in the backfield.

Bam.

Pinnum
September 24th, 2017, 04:26 PM
http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2016-04-28/nfl-draft-colleges-conferences-most-represented-last-10-years

This link has some numbers as to draft picks from each conference (2005-2015)....basically the FCS conferences have 10-30 picks, while the top 10 schools have 46-74 players. I think the FCS conference all stars would be competitive, but they still do not have the overall extent of talent that a top 5 (FBS Playoff) team does.

So while FCS teams can play with and beat top-20 teams, you think if these FCS teams cherrypicked the best players from their conference to make a team they still wouldn't make the FBS playoff because the top-4 teams are just that much better that there would still be a gap?

Pinnum
September 24th, 2017, 04:31 PM
While I appreciate the feedback.

I was more interested in getting people's opinions of where the FCS conference All-Stars would rank in the FBS team race.

Would the NEC All-Stars be good enough to make a bowl game? Would the PFL All-Stars be good enough to win P5 games? Would the Ivy League All-Stars be good enough to win the AAC?

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly, if this team could gel, and Menard was healthy, this team does not lose 1 game, and I think would give up less than 10 a game, while putting up 40+ as well, regardless of who they play in the FCS. Strevler might be the best Pocket Passer in the league, and force teams to back out of the box, and then give the ball to McShane/Dunn and they run wild, otherwise, burn teams deep with RJ, or go for the reliable Wieneke or Goedert to keep moving the chains. Having Menard, Tanguay, Morgan, and Reth on the front 4 would require 6-7 blockers, and then send Farley and Rozeboom on the blitz and let DeLuca drop into coverage, and well, you would not run the ball at all on this team. That back 4 of Grimsley, Dempsey (can play CB or S), Harris, and Washington would prevent any pass as DeLuca would drop back and so could Farley, and well, your day would just be ruined.

So you would have the MVFC in the FBS Playoff and winning it?

centennial
September 24th, 2017, 04:36 PM
So while FCS teams can play with and beat top-20 teams, you think if these FCS teams cherrypicked the best players from their conference to make a team they still wouldn't make the FBS playoff because the top-4 teams are just that much better that there would still be a gap?

I think NDSU needs to play Alabama to drive home the point between good FBS team, and elite FBS talent. Alabama has backups that would be all conference in the FCS. Their starters would make first, second team all FCS. Now would a best of all conference team perhaps be a top 5 team? It depends- there are teams with slightly less amount of talent that compete for being the best FBS team every now and then.

Take a look at the talent on Ohio State vs NDSU.

http://ohiostate.247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/Commits

http://ndsu.247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/Commits

And NDSU is way ahead of most of the FCS.

TheKingpin28
September 24th, 2017, 04:37 PM
While I appreciate the feedback.

I was more interested in getting people's opinions of where the FCS conference All-Stars would rank in the FBS team race.

Would the NEC All-Stars be good enough to make a bowl game? Would the PFL All-Stars be good enough to win P5 games? Would the Ivy League All-Stars be good enough to win the AAC?

- - - Updated - - -

So you would have the MVFC in the FBS Playoff and winning it?

Never said that, but this team would wreck in general. Think of the 2013 Bison on steroids. I truly believe that that team on Any Given Saturday could compete with anyone.

Pinnum
September 24th, 2017, 04:48 PM
Never said that, but this team would wreck in general. Think of the 2013 Bison on steroids. I truly believe that that team on Any Given Saturday could compete with anyone.

Sorry, I thought when you said 'this team does not lose 1 game' it would mean that they would not lose a game and then be selected to the playoff where they would not lose a game and win the title.

I don't know what 'wreck in general' means. Does that mean be competitive? And if so, what type of team in FBS would you compare it to?

TheKingpin28
September 24th, 2017, 05:16 PM
Sorry, I thought when you said 'this team does not lose 1 game' it would mean that they would not lose a game and then be selected to the playoff where they would not lose a game and win the title.

I don't know what 'wreck in general' means. Does that mean be competitive? And if so, what type of team in FBS would you compare it to?

I would say a New Years Six is not out of reach, but the odds of the FBS ever allowing a non-P5 team into their suck-fest, is extremely unlikely. I could see a Top 10 in the FBS, considering, NDSU statistically speaking, was #17 according to Sagarin in 2013, and this team, IMO, would blow on by them.

The Pud
September 24th, 2017, 07:19 PM
Basically for the OVC, take JSU's defense, pepper in an extra corner or two and move Siran Neal back to nickel give Chris Collins a spot. Take TSU's Patrick Smith and plop him onto JSU's offense in place of Jamari Hester. Get a couple extra linemen for some depth. Krendrick Doss at QB. Roc Thomas and UTMs Ladarius Galloway in the backfield.

Bam.

OVC is just a horrible conference; however, OVC could be dominate in D2 action.