PDA

View Full Version : Why is a kangaroo associated with VMI?

woffordgrad94
September 22nd, 2017, 06:03 PM
Aren’t they the Keydets? xconfusedx

Serpentor
September 22nd, 2017, 06:14 PM

Same reason why a kangaroo is associated with Akron, the Zips. They're a cool animal that's underused as a sports mascot. How many Lions, Tigers and Bears (oh my!) does the sports world need?

GodHelpTheBears
September 22nd, 2017, 06:20 PM
Same reason why a kangaroo is associated with Akron, the Zips. They're a cool animal that's underused as a sports mascot. How many Lions, Tigers and Bears (oh my!) does the sports world need?

Hey, there are Bears on our state flag!

On another not serious note, I think we should change our mascot to a pack of Sudafed.

FUBeAR
September 22nd, 2017, 06:20 PM

So, the Roo is an underrepresented minority and VMI is embracing & championing diversity by providing a platform for the Roo to engage on a level playing field with its more privileged peers?

Whampas
September 22nd, 2017, 06:22 PM
Because a mule, goat, falcon and bulldog were already used.

GodHelpTheBears
September 22nd, 2017, 06:23 PM
So, the Roo is an underrepresented minority and VMI is embracing & championing diversity by providing a platform for the Roo to engage on a level playing field with its more privileged peers?

You're saying it's a gender-fluid kangaroo? Does that mean it has like a little pocket over its tit?

FUBeAR
September 22nd, 2017, 06:25 PM
Because a mule, goat, falcon and bulldog were already used.

...along with a Bear & a Sea Eagle.

woffordgrad94
September 22nd, 2017, 06:46 PM
Makes sense.

DTSpider
September 22nd, 2017, 08:17 PM
Why not straight to the source:

http://www.vmikeydets.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205238471

Twentysix
September 23rd, 2017, 06:10 AM
UMKC (DI non-FCS) is also a kangaroo, however they are the roos.

cx500d
September 24th, 2017, 03:05 PM
UMKC (DI non-FCS) is also a kangaroo, however they are the roos.

Austin College is the Roos

The Pud
September 24th, 2017, 07:21 PM

as in Kanga??

kdinva
September 24th, 2017, 07:36 PM
Why not straight to the source:

http://www.vmikeydets.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205238471

Thanks, amazing (to the others) what "google" can do......

The Pud
September 24th, 2017, 09:48 PM
Thanks, amazing (to the others) what "google" can do......

Some of us old farts are too lazy to use Google like you young blokes

Winston
September 26th, 2017, 09:57 PM
I was struck by the phrase in the article "back in 1947, two cheerleaders..." That was 50 some years before VMI admitted women. That makes one wonder...

walliver
September 27th, 2017, 09:18 AM
I was struck by the phrase in the article "back in 1947, two cheerleaders..." That was 50 some years before VMI admitted women. That makes one wonder...

It was very common for all-male schools to have cheerleaders from nearby women's colleges.

Until the early 70's, Wofford's female cheerleaders were Converse College students.

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 27th, 2017, 05:57 PM
It was very common for all-male schools to have cheerleaders from nearby women's colleges.

Until the early 70's, Wofford's female cheerleaders were Converse College students.

Exactly.

Dwight Eisenhower, after an injury ended his football career at the Point, became a cheerleader.

citdog
September 27th, 2017, 06:01 PM

The Citadel had the hottest cheerleaders in the country before the meddling yankee government forced us to admit butch chicks. After a DARK, DARK, DARK, period where only female "Cadets" could be cheerleaders The Citadel has opened it back up to the "best of the best" from the South Carolina Lowcountry.

Catbooster
September 27th, 2017, 06:02 PM
EWU's field is the Roos

Maybe they need a kangaroo jumping around on it.

FUBeAR
September 27th, 2017, 07:42 PM
The Citadel had the hottest cheerleaders in the country before the meddling yankee government forced us to admit butch chicks. After a DARK, DARK, DARK, period where only female "Cadets" could be cheerleaders The Citadel has opened it back up to the "best of the best" from the South Carolina Lowcountry.
So, how DO you, 90, & CID look in those pleated skirts?

citdog
September 27th, 2017, 07:45 PM
So, how DO you, 90, & CID look in those pleated skirts?

My legs are kind of ashy..

cx500d
September 28th, 2017, 09:40 AM

as in Kanga??

This is their logo
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/16/AustinCollege-kangaroo-logo.png

http://www.austincollege.edu/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/fb_9.jpg