Nicholls State
RV
2-1

Northern Iowa
1-2

Holy Cross
NR
2-1

Others receiving votes: Southern Utah (44), Chattanooga (35), Charleston Southern (35), UT Martin (20), William & Mary (20), Montana (20), Towson (13), Kennesaw State (11), McNeese State (10), Mercer (9), Idaho State (6), Yale (4), Stony Brook (3), Saint Francis (3), Albany (2), Howard (2), Montana State (2), Princeton (1).

Professor Chaos
September 18th, 2017, 11:49 AM
Seeing USD ranked below EWU makes my head hurt.

BEAR
September 18th, 2017, 11:53 AM
Eastern Washington
1-2

The only time I got to see EWU was last year in the playoffs second round. I thought they lost a bit in the offseason. Is an #11 ranking legit? Tough sched with TT and NDSU...very confusing for this team IMO. But it is early and they are talented for sure.

Thumper 76
September 18th, 2017, 11:54 AM

And UNI ranked xsmhx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daytripper
September 18th, 2017, 11:56 AM

Head-scratcher for sure...

SU DOG
September 18th, 2017, 11:57 AM
Good to see NCA&T move up. I'm not sure they won't go undefeated this year in regular season. They have obviously impressed me.

JSUSoutherner
September 18th, 2017, 12:01 PM
Lol @ UTC getting more votes than Martin

ElCid
September 18th, 2017, 12:07 PM
Lol @ UTC getting more votes than Martin

Yeah that one is a little bit of a head scratcher. But UTC is in a funny situation. With their QB still out, for I think one more game, it could be that voters are still thinking that UTC can have a decent season and they are better overall. I am thinking that they will still have problems even when he comes back. Time will tell.

Wildcat1997
September 18th, 2017, 12:11 PM
Man who would've guessed a couple of years ago Nicholls would be ranked. I'm glad to see them up there though, I'm rooting for them.

Daytripper
September 18th, 2017, 12:13 PM
Man who would've guessed a couple of years ago Nicholls would be ranked. I'm glad to see them up there though, I'm rooting for them.

Agree. The Southland as a whole is getting better. It's a good thing.

It also has to be bugging the s*** out of SFA and Lamar that newcomers like HBU and ACU are blowing right past them...

nevadagriz
September 18th, 2017, 12:13 PM
Big Sky apologist and all but damn EWU at 11???? They have played a brutal schedule however they still lost and should not be getting SOS votes or what the hell ever is going on.

Catatonic
September 18th, 2017, 12:41 PM
And UNI ranked xsmhx

UNI is 1-2 with a loss to 2-1 Southern Utah, which isn't ranked. By what logic does this happen?

Professor
September 18th, 2017, 12:42 PM
Good to see NCA&T move up. I'm not sure they won't go undefeated this year in regular season. They have obviously impressed me.

Thanks. Hopefully we will but we have a some tough rivals in conference with SCSU and NCCU. But we shall see. 15 shows we are getting respect

JSUSoutherner
September 18th, 2017, 12:42 PM
UNI is 1-2 with a loss to 2-1 Southern Utah, which isn't ranked. By what logic does this happen?

It doesn't.

Schism55
September 18th, 2017, 12:48 PM
Nicholls....might be... good??

Daytripper
September 18th, 2017, 12:49 PM

Southern Utah should be ranked...

JSUSoutherner
September 18th, 2017, 12:51 PM

They are the first ones outside for me.

WestCoastAggie
September 18th, 2017, 12:55 PM

I agree, but I can't think of who to take out.

Daytripper
September 18th, 2017, 12:55 PM
They are the first ones outside for me.

I had difficulty deciding my 18-25....There are about 15-20 teams that have a reasonable argument for placement in the bottom of the poll.

JSUSoutherner
September 18th, 2017, 12:57 PM
I had difficulty deciding my 18-25....There are about 15-20 teams that have a reasonable argument for placement in the bottom of the poll.

I feel I may have over ranked a couple of teams but I'm 100% sure that every team on my poll does deserve to be ranked currently.

Professor Chaos
September 18th, 2017, 01:01 PM
I feel I may have over ranked a couple of teams but I'm 100% sure that every team on my poll does deserve to be ranked currently.
If anyone would say the opposite they are they're either supremely stubborn or just ignorant. There's a lot of personal bias that is still in these early season polls so you can't be 100% confident. Which is why I hate how the STATS and Coach's polls seem to always stick to the "only move up if teams in front of you lose" mantra as the season goes on because that early season bias then stays in the poll throughout the whole season.

It is somewhat shocking to me that USD jumped NC A&T in this poll when they both won (and A&T had a pretty significant win to boot). That's pretty rare for the Coach's (and STATS) poll.

Serpentor
September 18th, 2017, 01:07 PM

Early polls aren't fair. Any team that has improved from the previous season has to fight their way to respectability. Teams that have regressed are given the benefit of the doubt at first.

I don't bother taking any polls in the first half of the season seriously, they're all based on hyperbole and speculation.

ASU33
September 18th, 2017, 01:29 PM

Look out next week with a trip to O-Burg to meet the Bulldogs of SC State. That's always a tough outing.

milleniumkat
September 18th, 2017, 01:39 PM
Good poll. Sound results.

Go Green
September 19th, 2017, 06:49 AM
Would be curious to hear a defense of UNH at 16 and Holy Cross at 25.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/pujals-fires-5-tds-holy-cross-thrashes-new-hampshire-51-26-091617

The Pud
September 19th, 2017, 07:37 AM
Still do not see why JMU is ranked so high since they have a very soft schedule

Go Green
September 19th, 2017, 07:39 AM

It's not like they beat those "soft" teams in overtime. They kicked the #### out of them.

The Pud
September 19th, 2017, 07:42 AM
It's not like they beat those "soft" teams in overtime. They kicked the #### out of them.

a win is a win, even by 1 pt. Strength of schedule means a lot to playoff seeding. So I guess it is ok to have soft schedule

Redbird 4th & short
September 19th, 2017, 07:43 AM
RANK
TEAM
RECORD

James Madison (25)
3-0

North Dakota State (1)
2-0

Sam Houston State
2-0

South Dakota State
3-0

Youngstown State
2-1

Richmond
T-6
2-1

Jacksonville State
T-6
1-1

Villanova
2-1

Wofford
2-0

The Citadel
3-0

Eastern Washington
1-2

Illinois State
2-0

Central Arkansas
2-1

South Dakota
3-0

North Carolina A&T
3-0

New Hampshire
2-1

Samford
2-1

Weber State
2-1

North Dakota
1-2

Tennessee State
3-0

Western Illinois
2-0

Grambling State
2-1

Nicholls State
RV
2-1

Northern Iowa
1-2

Holy Cross
NR
2-1

Others receiving votes: Southern Utah (44), Chattanooga (35), Charleston Southern (35), UT Martin (20), William & Mary (20), Montana (20), Towson (13), Kennesaw State (11), McNeese State (10), Mercer (9), Idaho State (6), Yale (4), Stony Brook (3), Saint Francis (3), Albany (2), Howard (2), Montana State (2), Princeton (1).

Still think YSU is a little high, but understand their ranking. Top 9 seem to be very reasonable at this point. But I think 10-25 is very spotty.

Thinking following are definitely 5-10 spots too high: Citadel (all weak wins), NC A&T (sagarin and massey around 30th, Weber St (sagarin & massey around 27th), Grambling State (sagarin & massey around 50th), Tenn St (very weak wins, massey #51), Nicholls St, Holy Cross ... as for latter 2 ... since when do teams that were below .500 and no where near top 25 consideration a year ago (against weak SOS) get top 25 ranking for one nice win ???

WIU should be be 5 spots higher, everyone should slide straight up over the teams I mentioned above.

3 words to pollsters .... STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE !!!

The Pud
September 19th, 2017, 07:44 AM
Still think YSU is a little high, but understand their ranking. Top 9 seem to be very reasonable at this point. But I think 10-25 is very spotty.

Thinking following are definitely 5-10 spots too high: Citadel (all weak wins), NC A&T (sagarin and massey around 30th, Weber St (sagarin & massey around 27th), Grambling State (sagarin & massey around 50th), Tenn St (very weak wins, massey #51), Nicholls St, Holy Cross ... as for latter 2 ... since when do teams that were below .500 and no where near top 25 consideration a year ago (against weak SOS) get top 25 ranking for one nice win ???

WIU should be be 5 spots higher, everyone should slide straight up over the teams I mentioned above.

3 words to pollsters .... STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE !!!

JMU has very soft strength of schedule but is still ranked this high?

dewey
September 19th, 2017, 07:46 AM

I will bite on this even though this is just a trolling attempt I would guess.
1. They went to ECU (not a good FBS team I understand) and thoroughly beat them 34-14.
2. They return a lot of players on both sides of the ball and appear to be have a good stable of running backs to replace last year's stud (Abdullah? - spelling?).
3. They have hammered the two FCS teams that they should have.
4. The returning starters have the experience from winning the title last year and playoff experience helps.

I am not a James Madison fan, obviously, but they are a top 2 or 3 team. Now if they start losing CAA games then they will drop down the rankings accordingly.

Dewey

milleniumkat
September 19th, 2017, 08:12 AM

That was our argument for being #1 all year. and i agree with it. Jmu should be #1 so long as they dominate.

milleniumkat
September 19th, 2017, 08:16 AM
1. They went to ECU (not a good FBS team I understand) and thoroughly beat them 34-14.
2. They return a lot of players on both sides of the ball and appear to be have a good stable of running backs to replace last year's stud (Abdullah? - spelling?).
4. The returning starters have the experience from winning the title last year and playoff experience helps.

I am not a James Madison fan, obviously, but they are a top 2 or 3 team. Now if they start losing CAA games then they will drop down the rankings accordingly.

Dewey

Agreed.

Daytripper
September 19th, 2017, 09:10 AM

Dewey

pod is just trolling with the JMU soft schedule posts.

ST_Lawson
September 19th, 2017, 09:52 AM

We never seem to get any love from the Coaches Poll, so it doesn't really surprise me. We beat CCU and they'll start to take us a bit more seriously.

The Pud
September 19th, 2017, 05:20 PM

Dewey

A very fair assessment that I can appreciate. However, I am still not 100% convince given their cupcake schedule. Let's see how they fair in league play.

Redbird 4th & short
September 19th, 2017, 10:59 PM
JMU has very soft strength of schedule but is still ranked this high?
But they are destroying those teams, and the ranking systems also take into account prior year results, especially earlier in season when there is less body of work. As more games fill the database for current year, then prior years results are given less weight.

Ranking systems/formulas take into account many many things, including quality wins and losses versus weak wins and losses, and everywhere in between. This is why Tenn St is ranked 51 by Massey .. they are barely beating weak teams. JMU is blowing out mostly weak teams, plus easily beat an FBS team that is ranked 125 in D-I ... and iJMU going off a dominating natty year. Same approach but different formula of Sagarin, Noeither perfect but 100% objective, and does far better job than the FCP Coaches Poll .. far better.

NC A&T barely beat a bad FBS team ranked 165 in D-I .. then won by just 2 over a team ranked 300+ in all of college football ... beat a very bad team by just 2. And they get bumped from 20 to 15 by FCP because they won .. that 2 point win over 300+ ranked team should have kicked them out of top 25 for good .. there are only 250 D-I teams.

Massey and Sagarin make the all 100% objective .. worked exactly the same when Colonial dominated 2010 & prior. Took all the subjective polls until 2014 to figure out MVFC has been top conference since 2011. Massey and Sagarin system figured it out in 2011 ... 100% objective .. quantifying quality wins and losses versus weak wins and losses. FCP coaches are largely clueless/lazy about strength of schedule .. ironic considering they should appreciate it more than anyone else.

milleniumkat
September 20th, 2017, 01:52 AM
But they are destroying those teams, and the ranking systems also take into account prior year results, especially earlier in season when there is less body of work. As more games fill the database for current year, then prior years results are given less weight.

Ranking systems/formulas take into account many many things, including quality wins and losses versus weak wins and losses, and everywhere in between. This is why Tenn St is ranked 51 by Massey .. they are barely beating weak teams. JMU is blowing out mostly weak teams, plus easily beat an FBS team that is ranked 125 in D-I ... and iJMU going off a dominating natty year. Same approach but different formula of Sagarin, Noeither perfect but 100% objective, and does far better job than the FCP Coaches Poll .. far better.

NC A&T barely beat a bad FBS team ranked 165 in D-I .. then won by just 2 over a team ranked 300+ in all of college football ... beat a very bad team by just 2. And they get bumped from 20 to 15 by FCP because they won .. that 2 point win over 300+ ranked team should have kicked them out of top 25 for good .. there are only 250 D-I teams.

Massey and Sagarin make the all 100% objective .. worked exactly the same when Colonial dominated 2010 & prior. Took all the subjective polls until 2014 to figure out MVFC has been top conference since 2011. Massey and Sagarin system figured it out in 2011 ... 100% objective .. quantifying quality wins and losses versus weak wins and losses. FCP coaches are largely clueless/lazy about strength of schedule .. ironic considering they should appreciate it more than anyone else.

We made that same exact argument last year. We were not winning close games. Can't have it both ways. The fact that JMU won the title in 2016 is irrelevant. No credit this year for last years schedule and wins. Otherwise we need to all go to FBS

The Pud
September 20th, 2017, 05:45 AM
We made that same exact argument last year. We were not winning close games. Can't have it both ways. The fact that JMU won the title in 2016 is irrelevant. No credit this year for last years schedule and wins. Otherwise we need to all go to FBS

Bingo!! Exactly!!!!

dewey
September 20th, 2017, 06:52 AM

I partially disagree that last years National Title is irrelevant. If a team lost a substantial amount of players or a bulk of their coaches from last years team then perhaps. However JMU brings back a lot of experience from the title run in terms of coaches and players. That helps a LOT. Never mind that they have the confidence of being able to make another title run. After a championship run I think the team begins to feel as if they will win every game instead of "hoping" every game.

Dewey

milleniumkat
September 20th, 2017, 06:54 AM
I partially disagree that last years National Title is irrelevant. If a team lost a substantial amount of players from last years team then perhaps. However JMU brings back a lot of experience from the title run in terms of coaches and players. That helps a LOT. Never mind that they have the confidence of being able to make another title run. After a championship run I think the team begins to feel as if they will win every game instead of "hoping" every game.

Dewey

If the past matters that much, fine. But it matters across the board. Can't claim it one day then dismiss it the next. Not saying you, but some folks want to walk on both sides of the street but that Viking ain't Blonde.

Professor Chaos
September 20th, 2017, 07:21 AM
Last year still matters in polls this early in the season. There just haven't been enough games played this year to discount last year. Add that to the fact that JMU's prime competition for #1, NDSU and SDSU, have also played underwhelming schedules so far it makes JMU pretty safe in that #1 spot. Say NDSU ran through last year's OOC schedule (CSU, EWU, and Iowa) this year undefeated I think JMU's grip on #1 would be very tenuous if not lost already.

DirtyDukes
September 20th, 2017, 08:19 AM
pod is just trolling with the JMU soft schedule posts.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2013/06/you-dont-say.gif

Or at least he's trying to. He's not very good at it.

Hammerhead
September 20th, 2017, 08:26 AM
I think last year's championship is relevant and any playoff experience is also relevant. Playoffs = extra weeks of practice and more game experience with an (usually) quality opponent which helps younger players develop.

Redbird 4th & short
September 20th, 2017, 08:28 AM
Last year still matters in polls this early in the season. There just haven't been enough games played this year to discount last year. Add that to the fact that JMU's prime competition for #1, NDSU and SDSU, have also played underwhelming schedules so far it makes JMU pretty safe in that #1 spot. Say NDSU ran through last year's OOC schedule (CSU, EWU, and Iowa) this year undefeated I think JMU's grip on #1 would be very tenuous if not lost already.

100% agreed

BNATION
September 20th, 2017, 08:58 AM
Lesbiahonest, SDST squeaked by a very, maybe extremely mediocre Mont St team. I do not see them being much of a factor and think the MVC is slightly down this year. North Dakota is not much, Ill St down, Youngstown down, and NDSt looking strong as usual.

kalm
September 20th, 2017, 09:03 AM
Lesbiahonest, SDST squeaked by a very, maybe extremely mediocre Mont St team. I do not see them being much of a factor and think the MVC is slightly down this year. North Dakota is not much, Ill St down, Youngstown down, and NDSt looking strong as usual.

MSU was on the road and they are one of many teams we don't know much about yet unless you're completely going off last year.

ISUr and YSU both appear to be good. WIU is strong. USD looks really good.

BNATION
September 20th, 2017, 09:09 AM
IMO Illinois state is not looking great. They haven't played anyone either so we will see. YSU is ranked for sticking with a FBS team...Pitt is dog****. Nicholls looked much more impressive than YSU in their FBS performance and has a much better FCS win over a Mcnease team that will win alot of games.

MSU was on the road and they are one of many teams we don't know much about yet unless you're completely going off last year.

ISUr and YSU both appear to be good. WIU is strong. USD looks really good.

Sycamore62
September 20th, 2017, 09:19 AM
I think we are getting into the "ohhhh I see how X Team did that against Y Team" part of the season.

kalm
September 20th, 2017, 09:42 AM
IMO Illinois state is not looking great. They haven't played anyone either so we will see. YSU is ranked for sticking with a FBS team...Pitt is dog****. Nicholls looked much more impressive than YSU in their FBS performance and has a much better FCS win over a Mcnease team that will win alot of games.

I didn't say ISUr was "great".

* a lot

BNATION
September 20th, 2017, 10:07 AM
Don't be the guy who corrects grammar on a message board. It's a tell tale sign of being a loser. Its a message board not a thesis. DBAP.

I didn't say ISUr was "great".

* a lot

kalm
September 20th, 2017, 10:20 AM
Don't be the guy who corrects grammar on a message board. It's a tell tale sign of being a loser. Its a message board not a thesis. DBAP.

What does DBAP mean?

BEAR
September 20th, 2017, 10:38 AM
Don't
Be
A
Patriot
fan
xlolx

Serpentor
September 20th, 2017, 10:39 AM
Don't
Be
A
Patriot
fan
xlolx

Words to live by.

BNATION
September 20th, 2017, 10:55 AM
Dont Be A Pussy

What does DBAP mean?

kalm
September 20th, 2017, 10:56 AM
Dont Be A Pussy

Said the guy who didnt type out the word pussy.

Professor
September 20th, 2017, 10:59 AM

What team did we beat by 2 again?

NCA&T vs Gardner Webb 45-3
NCA&T vs Mars Hill 56-0
NCA&T vs UNCC 35-31

Bison56
September 20th, 2017, 11:25 AM
What does DBAP mean?

Dairy Business Analysis Project

Redbird 4th & short
September 20th, 2017, 02:00 PM
What team did we beat by 2 again?

NCA&T vs Gardner Webb 45-3
NCA&T vs Mars Hill 56-0
NCA&T vs UNCC 35-31

Shoot .. my bad. Got my own wires crossed after couple posts on this topic .. mixed up Tenn st and NC A&T. Sorry for misinformation .. though stand by my original point before I got those 2 teams mixed up.

milleniumkat
September 20th, 2017, 02:42 PM

I understand. There's no other way to start a new years poll. But once teams start actually playing, SOS THIS year should count. I have a hard time keeping USD out of the Top 5 imho.

JSUSoutherner
September 20th, 2017, 02:45 PM
What does DBAP mean?
Deranged Bison Are Plentiful. :D

milleniumkat
September 20th, 2017, 02:46 PM

Can i ask, without a blowout argument, why sdsu is considered a lock for a top 3? Historically have they gotten above .500 in the playoffs vs Big Sky yet? It seems messed up to me that we give credit to teams that actually did impress last year, as well as teams that ultimately did not. Yes. They beat ndsu at home. ...during the regular season. Other teams have done that. But they got beat by four scores in the playoffs by the worst NDSU team in an FCS playoff since 2010. Please note that i respect SDSU and would put them ahead of shsu at this point. I just want to hear the explanation. So how do you know that SDSU is the team that beat NDSU at home or the one that got stomped? Isn't it the most recent performance that should carry the most weight? Or do we pick and choose which game to base our opinion?

Cuz if that's the game then i choose to believe that shsu is the team that stomped a mud hole in UCA who have EWU a tough game and won a playoff gave vs a MVFC and not the one that got beat down by JMU.

The Pud
September 20th, 2017, 02:51 PM
Can i ask, without a blowout argument, why sdsu is considered a lock for a top 3? Historically have they gotten above .500 in the playoffs vs Big Sky yet? It seems messed up to me that we give credit to teams that actually did impress last year, as well as teams that ultimately did not. Yes. They beat ndsu at home. ...during the regular season. Other teams have done that. But they got beat by four scores in the playoffs by the worst NDSU team in an FCS playoff since 2010. Please note that i respect SDSU and would put them ahead of shsu at this point. I just want to hear the explanation. So how do you know that SDSU is the team that beat NDSU at home or the one that got stomped? Isn't it the most recent performance that should carry the most weight? Or do we pick and choose which game to base our opinion?

Cuz if that's the game then i choose to believe that shsu is the team that stomped a mud hole in UCA who have EWU a tough game and won a playoff gave vs a MVFC and not the one that got beat down by JMU.

well said sir!

Professor Chaos
September 20th, 2017, 02:52 PM
I would say 3 first team All-Americans on offense is a big reason (and that doesn't include their QB and FB who have been mentioned on presason AA teams I believe). I don't think they're a lock for the top 3 but they're #3 in my book.

I guess the reason why I included them is because I think either they or NDSU are the most likely teams to pass JMU for #1 (if anyone will) this year given how many currently ranked MVFC teams each has to face. That Montana St performance definitely knocks them down a peg from where JMU and NDSU are at right now in my book.

EDIT: And SHSU is getting credit from last year for more than just their playoff loss to JMU. If they didn't they would've started the season ranked below pretty much every CAA team JMU played last year (since they lost to them by less than SHSU did).

Thumper 76
September 20th, 2017, 03:48 PM

As an SDSU fan I'll throw my two cents in. I've posted my ballot, I don't have SDSU as a top 3 team. However, it's not too terribly hard of an argument to make.

First things first UCA barely beat a 6-5 MVFC team at home. So don't forget to put that in there. I personally don't base everything off of one game either. You'll notice I'm not holding the JMU game against SHSU this year in my poll either. If you want to look solely at the two NDSU matchups then fine. It was last year, but ok let's use that. I was at both of them. The first one SDSU dominated the game as much as NDSU dominated the second one, they just didn't score when they were in the red zone. That games wasn't a fluke like many of the NDSU losses against a USeD or a ISUb where they had a ton of turnovers. SDSU won time of possession and TC rushed for over 100yds by himself. Both of the games were IN Fargo (again-we've played 2/3rds of our games there in 6 years). The second game SDSU started hot but then weren't able to get their offense on the field. The defense got beat on third and long it seemed like every other play until they got worn down. Then the traditional NDSU game plan set in. Run the ball for big yards. SDSU was one of two losses for the bison last year, so to poo poo that is kind of stupid IMO. Reality is bison fans pick the playoff game as the real barometer while SDSU fans look at it more optimistically. I look at it as SDSU went .500 in Fargo, which isn't bad by any stretch.

The other reason SDSU is so high for many people is their offense has three guys that were top 10 in Peyton Award voting, an AA center, and almost the entirety of their offense from last year that was pretty damn potent in general. So those are some reasons. The biggest issue for them is how will the defense step up.

DirtyDukes
September 20th, 2017, 03:54 PM
well said sir!

Somebody run an IP check on the Pod and MK, all The Pod does is follow MK around agreeing with him and getting handsy

The Pud
September 20th, 2017, 04:02 PM
Somebody run an IP check on the Pod and MK, all The Pod does is follow MK around agreeing with him and getting handsy

stop your whining. you sound like a little girl.

Sycamore62
September 20th, 2017, 04:06 PM
As an SDSU fan I'll throw my two cents in. I've posted my ballot, I don't have SDSU as a top 3 team. However, it's not too terribly hard of an argument to make.

First things first UCA barely beat a 6-5 MVFC team at home. So don't forget to put that in there. I personally don't base everything off of one game either. You'll notice I'm not holding the JMU game against SHSU this year in my poll either. If you want to look solely at the two NDSU matchups then fine. It was last year, but ok let's use that. I was at both of them. The first one SDSU dominated the game as much as NDSU dominated the second one, they just didn't score when they were in the red zone. That games wasn't a fluke like many of the NDSU losses against a USeD or a ISUb where they had a ton of turnovers. SDSU won time of possession and TC rushed for over 100yds by himself. Both of the games were IN Fargo (again-we've played 2/3rds of our games there in 6 years). The second game SDSU started hot but then weren't able to get their offense on the field. The defense got beat on third and long it seemed like every other play until they got worn down. Then the traditional NDSU game plan set in. Run the ball for big yards. SDSU was one of two losses for the bison last year, so to poo poo that is kind of stupid IMO. Reality is bison fans pick the playoff game as the real barometer while SDSU fans look at it more optimistically. I look at it as SDSU went .500 in Fargo, which isn't bad by any stretch.

The other reason SDSU is so high for many people is their offense has three guys that were top 10 in Peyton Award voting, an AA center, and almost the entirety of their offense from last year that was pretty damn potent in general. So those are some reasons. The biggest issue for them is how will the defense step up.

they weren't flukes. Its just hard to go undefeated.

The Pud
September 20th, 2017, 04:13 PM
they weren't flukes. Its just hard to go undefeated.

+17

very true statement here folks

kalm
September 20th, 2017, 04:20 PM

This + Rozeboom. No reason to move them down yet. If USD or another MVFC starts boat racing everyone while the Jacks struggle on D and have some close wins they will be supplanted.

milleniumkat
September 20th, 2017, 04:45 PM
I would say 3 first team All-Americans on offense is a big reason (and that doesn't include their QB and FB who have been mentioned on presason AA teams I believe). I don't think they're a lock for the top 3 but they're #3 in my book.

I guess the reason why I included them is because I think either they or NDSU are the most likely teams to pass JMU for #1 (if anyone will) this year given how many currently ranked MVFC teams each has to face. That Montana St performance definitely knocks them down a peg from where JMU and NDSU are at right now in my book.

EDIT: And SHSU is getting credit from last year for more than just their playoff loss to JMU. If they didn't they would've started the season ranked below pretty much every CAA team JMU played last year (since they lost to them by less than SHSU did).

We have All Americans as well. And one was voted the best Player in FCS.

But that is a good response. thank you. Not joking.

milleniumkat
September 20th, 2017, 04:46 PM

We learned it from you and that rooterpooter guy

milleniumkat
September 20th, 2017, 04:50 PM

This is also a great response. I thank you as well. see? We can discuss things like adults without insults. lol.

But go ahead and get me one good one just because i deserve it for old time sake. hahah.