PDA

View Full Version : Morgan State - Historically bad?

UIWWildthing
September 18th, 2017, 10:16 AM
I don't think I can recall a D-I team as bad as this year's Morgan State Bears, So far they are 0-3, and I've scored as many points as they have in these three games. I recall some of the Prairie View squads from the early/mid 90s that had their struggles but this team is just one of the worst. Giving up only 100~ yards to Towson, and losing. Then the blowouts to Alban and Rutgers.

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but this team might just be a candidate for worst ever at FCS level.

superman7515
September 18th, 2017, 11:24 AM
You're overthinking this. Morgan State isn't even remotely close to those Prairie View teams.

Prairie View A&M didn't win a D1 football game from October 28, 1989 to October 7, 2000.

11 years and their only 3 wins during that entire span was NAIA Langston in 1998, and D3 Howard Payne and D2 Oklahoma Panhandle in 1999.

During that time, the team was 3-20 against D2/D3/NAIA opponents and were shutout 25 times (including several by sub-D1 opponents).

BisonFan02
September 18th, 2017, 11:24 AM
You're overthinking it. They aren't even the worst FCS team this season.

WileECoyote06
September 18th, 2017, 11:28 AM
If they are that bad, why did Towson only win 10-0?

xeyebrowx

As long as MVSU and several PFL teams are in FCS, Morgan will have someone to look down on.

UIWWildthing
September 18th, 2017, 11:31 AM
If they are that bad, why did Towson only win 10-0?

xeyebrowx

We aren't much better.

CHIP72
September 18th, 2017, 12:24 PM
I don't think I can recall a D-I team as bad as this year's Morgan State Bears, So far they are 0-3, and I've scored as many points as they have in these three games. I recall some of the Prairie View squads from the early/mid 90s that had their struggles but this team is just one of the worst. Giving up only 100~ yards to Towson, and losing. Then the blowouts to Alban and Rutgers.

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but this team might just be a candidate for worst ever at FCS level.

I can't blame you for overthinking things because Buttgers, I mean Rutgers, which may be the worst FBS/DI-A "P5" team in all the land this season, just beat Morgan State 65-0.

Panther88
September 18th, 2017, 03:11 PM
You're overthinking this. Morgan State isn't even remotely close to those Prairie View teams.

Prairie View A&M didn't win a D1 football game from October 28, 1989 to October 7, 2000.

11 years and their only 3 wins during that entire span was NAIA Langston in 1998, and D3 Howard Payne and D2 Oklahoma Panhandle in 1999.

During that time, the team was 3-20 against D2/D3/NAIA opponents and were shutout 25 times (including several by sub-D1 opponents).

Truth ^^^^. I witnessed 54 of those 80 consecutive defeats from 1991- fall 1998. We were fielding teams comprised of students who would practice whenever they felt like it, since there was no accountability and we had to choice other than to allow them to be as non-serious as they desired. Former I-AA wasn't too kind to us as we attempted to compete w/ fully-funded scholarship programs. We came close to a few victories here or there but blowouts were imminent in most games. We will forever own the record as the worst ever @ this level, unless another school chooses to field a non-scholarship team and compete in D-I FCS. We are still rebuilding.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 18th, 2017, 03:18 PM
Truth ^^^^. I witnessed 54 of those 80 consecutive defeats from 1991- fall 1998. We were fielding teams comprised of students who would practice whenever they felt like it, since there was no accountability and we had to choice other than to allow them to be as non-serious as they desired. Former I-AA wasn't too kind to us as we attempted to compete w/ fully-funded scholarship programs. We came close to a few victories here or there but blowouts were imminent in most games. We will forever own the record as the worst ever @ this level, unless another school chooses to field a non-scholarship team and compete in D-I FCS. We are still rebuilding.

I watched that SHSU/PV game and PV is doing something right! Looks like they are heading in the right direction.

DFW HOYA
September 18th, 2017, 03:30 PM
We will forever own the record as the worst ever @ this level, unless another school chooses to field a non-scholarship team and compete in D-I FCS.

There are 20 such schools left, 19 of which compete in a non-scholarship conference.

GodHelpTheBears
September 18th, 2017, 04:14 PM
I can't blame you for overthinking things because Buttgers, I mean Rutgers, which may be the worst FBS/DI-A "P5" team in all the land this season, just beat Morgan State 65-0.

It's a three horse race between Rutgers, UM-C and Kansas. I thought Texas Tech would be right there, but I underestimated Kliff.

citdog
September 18th, 2017, 04:16 PM

See VMI. Yet they will play like the '85 Bears against The Citadel.

CHIP72
September 18th, 2017, 04:46 PM
It's a three horse race between Rutgers, UM-C and Kansas. I thought Texas Tech would be right there, but I underestimated Kliff.

You forgot about another group of Bears - the ones at Baylor. Matt Rhule didn't do so hot his first 1 1/2 years at Temple either but then turned things around.

GodHelpTheBears
September 18th, 2017, 04:54 PM
You forgot about another group of Bears - the ones at Baylor. Matt Rhule didn't do so hot his first 1 1/2 years at Temple either but then turned things around.

I do not pity those forced to watch Kansas-Baylor. At least Baylor has been competitive in their losses.

Panther88
September 18th, 2017, 05:57 PM
There are 20 such schools left, 19 of which compete in a non-scholarship conference.

I'm familiar. So, no financial grant in aid of any type to those football playing "student-athletes," correct? I'm sure they'd offer the same financial support to the 4'11" 112lb 8.0 40 guy as they would any of the guys who are "volunteering" on the football team, correct? smh

Panther88
September 18th, 2017, 06:06 PM
I watched that SHSU/PV game and PV is doing something right! Looks like they are heading in the right direction.

We have a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way to go, nw. Our current WRs coach actually coached WRs @ NDSU for 3/4 years (?). The model that we are chasing, ala NDSU, is what we are shooting for. No disrespect to other FCSers but NDSU is the model D-I FCS dominant program a lot of us are chasing. We have a loooooooooooooooooooooooong way to go before we can pretend to be @ that level.

WestCoastAggie
September 18th, 2017, 06:10 PM
A&T will respect the heck out of Morgan State this weekend. Their Secondary is ranked pretty highly and RB Herb Walker Jr. is a load to tackle.

cx500d
September 18th, 2017, 06:24 PM

And 80 straight losses

Lehigh'98
September 18th, 2017, 08:34 PM
They would still put up 56 on Lehigh

citdog
September 18th, 2017, 08:59 PM
They would still put up 56 on Lehigh

le high was "Top 10" though...

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 18th, 2017, 09:05 PM
We have a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way to go, nw. Our current WRs coach actually coached WRs @ NDSU for 3/4 years (?). The model that we are chasing, ala NDSU, is what we are shooting for. No disrespect to other FCSers but NDSU is the model D-I FCS dominant program a lot of us are chasing. We have a loooooooooooooooooooooooong way to go before we can pretend to be @ that level.

I don't follow PV that closely so you would know more than me but comparing the talent level between '12 when they came to the FD and watching them against SHSU, PV is vastly improved.

Lehigh'98
September 18th, 2017, 09:51 PM
le high was "Top 10" though...

Never came out of my mouth. I was just hoping the defense would improve, but it got worse.

The Pud
September 19th, 2017, 06:36 AM

Who is the worse? Asking for a friend.

Dane96
September 19th, 2017, 09:05 AM
Take your pick, whether worse or equally bad...but there are definitely teams on this list that are very well worse than Morgan State:

Lafayette
Stetson
Campbell
Georgetown
CCSU
Bryant
Wagner
Norfolk State
Savannah State
VMI
Alabama A&M (TBD...they've played 3 FBS, one of which is a start-up)
Miss Valley State
Alabama State
Texas Southern

Remember, Towson is likely the WORST team they've played...and Towson isn't even close to being near the "worst list". Albany's defense is outstanding, so laying an egg isn't awful...and Rutgers (while not a great FBS) is still a Big 10 school who held the prolific Washington offense to 30 points.

Morgan State, it turns out, is opening with 4 very difficult games in a row because NC AT&T is "for real" right now.

Professor
September 19th, 2017, 05:17 PM
Take your pick, whether worse or equally bad...but there are definitely teams on this list that are very well worse than Morgan State:

Lafayette
Stetson
Campbell
Georgetown
CCSU
Bryant
Wagner
Norfolk State
Savannah State
VMI
Miss Valley State
Alabama State
Texas Southern

Remember, Towson is likely the WORST team they've played...and Towson isn't even close to being near the "worst list". Albany's defense is outstanding, so laying an egg isn't awful...and Rutgers (while not a great FBS) is still a Big 10 school who held the prolific Washington offense to 30 points.

Morgan State, it turns out, is opening with 4 very difficult games in a row because NC AT&T is "for real" right now.

It's A&T. AT&T is a phone company

Dane96
September 19th, 2017, 06:52 PM
It's A&T. AT&T is a phone company

LOL...well, not really. Apologies. I do know that...but, and I kid you not, I was paying my cellular bill today (outrageously high)...to AT&T. Must have been on my mind.

Irrespective, you guys are having a great year so far. Good luck the rest of the way.

kdinva
September 19th, 2017, 07:07 PM
See VMI. Yet they will play like the '85 Bears against The Citadel.

....or the 1976 Bucs..... xoopsx

GreenGlasses
September 19th, 2017, 07:23 PM

Lafayette
Stetson
Campbell
Georgetown
CCSU
Bryant
Wagner
Norfolk State
Savannah State
VMI
Miss Valley State
Alabama State
Texas Southern

You forgot the Mighty Wildcats of Davidson...

GodHelpTheBears
September 19th, 2017, 07:31 PM
I honestly think our 2015 team was the worst full scholarship team in FCS. Beat a 5-6 D-II team by 8 at home and lost every other game by 4 touchdowns or more, and scored two touchdowns total in the last six games.

We're probably going 1-10 again this year but I'm confident we can keep at least one of our Valley foes within 20 points.

BisonTru
September 20th, 2017, 09:15 PM
This thread should be titled Morehead State. They aren't even the worst MSU. xlolx