PDA

View Full Version : Head Coaching Salaries in the FCS

GrizDen
February 5th, 2007, 12:28 PM
I was surprised to see the wide range of salaries for Head Coaches at some of the top FCS schools listed in an article in today’s Missoulian. Here is the link;
http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2007/02/05/sports/sports01.txt

Here is the summary of coaches listed in an article:
Georgia Southern; Chris Hatcher - $200,000
James Madison; Mickey Matthews - $178,000
Southern Illinois; Jerry Kill - $165,000
Portland State; Tim Walsh - $133,000
Montana; Bobby Hauck - $124,000 (offer on the table, up from $100,000xidiotx )

Does anyone know the Head Coaching salaries at the other elite schools? I’m especially interested in Delaware, UMASS, Apps State, Furman, Northern Iowa and YSU.

Grizzaholic
February 5th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Could this be a reason why we cannot keep a coach for more than a few years then they leave. Granted most of them left for bigger and better things but damn. I just want a coach to stay, build a family, and win a few games. Like our womens bball coach. Been here forever. Great coach.

SunCoastBlueHen
February 5th, 2007, 12:35 PM
K.C. Keeler is rumored to be one of the highest paid in FCS, though I've never seen a published salary figure. I believe that because Delaware is considered a quasi-private school that salary figures are not released to the public. Maybe one of the Hens fans more knowledgeable on the subject can shed some more light.

NE MT GRIZZ
February 5th, 2007, 12:38 PM
I do think it is crazy that Hauck is not the highest paid coach in the BSC, but he doesn't deserve a raise until the next title comes to Missoula!

$125,000 is a helluva salary in the state of Montana, he needs to sign the damn contract.

Green Cookie Monster
February 5th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Cost of living has to be taken into account. A coach at UMASS or Delaware will and should make more proportionally than a coach in NM, Idaho, South Carolina, etc.

Sac's new coach is being paid $120K.

Peems
February 5th, 2007, 12:39 PM
man hauck should jump ship and go coach somewhere else where the pressure is less and the pay is more!;)

GrizDen
February 5th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Could this be a reason why we cannot keep a coach for more than a few years then they leave. Granted most of them left for bigger and better things but damn. I just want a coach to stay, build a family, and win a few games. Like our womens bball coach. Been here forever. Great coach.

It has got to be one of the main contributors to that. I'm not the one writing the checks, but a salary of $150K at Montana doesn't seem that out of line, especially in comparison to some of the other schools/coaches listed.

On a side note for Coach Selvig - he's an institution at UM and can probably stay there as long as he wants. I just hope it's not so long that Shannon Cate bolts (she did throw her name in that hat for Boise State a few years back). To have the greatest woman's player from Montana get a shot at being the Head Coach would be great.:hurray:

henfan
February 5th, 2007, 12:45 PM
KC Keeler and several other FCS coaches have publicly claimed to be the top-paid coach in the division. We'll never really know, unless their complete financials are publicly disclosed (including salaries, bonuses, clinic revenues, apparel deals, etc.)

FTR, UDel does not announce the salaries of their employees and that info cannot be obtained from via a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) inquiry. UD is not subject to the State's FOIA. UD is quasi-public or quasi-private, depending on the month of the year. Every June when they solicit taxpayer dollars from the legisilature, they are very quasi-public. The rest of the time they consider themselves quasi-private.

Del State is not subject to FOIA either, however, they revealed the terms of the their contract extension with Al Lavan recently to be $200K per season through 2011. No vital State secrets were revealed by DSU in disclosing Lavan's salary, I'd reckon.
http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070123/SPORTS08/701230383/1029

With benies, Lavan is now the highest paid coach in the FCS.:smiley_wi xlolx

GrizDen
February 5th, 2007, 12:46 PM
I do think it is crazy that Hauck is not the highest paid coach in the BSC, but he doesn't deserve a raise until the next title comes to Missoula!

$125,000 is a helluva salary in the state of Montana, he needs to sign the damn contract.

If Hauck does bring another title to Missoula, he will get a raise. It will just be an FBS school paying him. :smiley_wi

I agree that $125K in Missoula is a lot of money.

andy7171
February 5th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Towson's HC Gordy Combs played at Towson(State), graduated(1976), became an assistant coach(1977), took the program over as head coach(1991) and has been here ever since. Lives four blocks away, his son was the ball boy, went to Maryland to play lacrosse and is back at Towson as the assistant HC of the lacrosse team.
There is alot of turnover in FCS football, and eventually the Combs era will end. It will be very strange when it does and someone not from within gets the reigns.
Towson football since 1968, only three head coaches.

Grizzaholic
February 5th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Agreed on the Cate thing. She was like Dave. So much heart to win. You don't see that very often in athletes.

And on Hauck; if he wins a title, That is a pretty big IF. It should be more like, IF, he stays next year. He keeps telling everybody that he loves The ZOO and he wants to stay here a long time but he throws his hat into every ring available. Smells fishy to me. Even Glennish.

bluehenbillk
February 5th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Henfan & some of the other posters got it that Delaware doesn't make salaries public, but from what I understand from some people in the know, K.C. Keeler's salary is over the $350K mark.

youwouldno
February 5th, 2007, 12:55 PM
I'm not exactly sure what Furman's Lamb makes, probably somewhere around Kill and Matthews.

CITFAN
February 5th, 2007, 12:56 PM
I was surprised to see the wide range of salaries for Head Coaches at some of the top FCS schools listed in an article in today’s Missoulian. Here is the link;
http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2007/02/05/sports/sports01.txt

Here is the summary of coaches listed in an article:
Georgia Southern; Chris Hatcher - $200,000
James Madison; Mickey Matthews - $178,000
Southern Illinois; Jerry Kill - $165,000
Portland State; Tim Walsh - $133,000
Montana; Bobby Hauck - $124,000 (offer on the table, up from $100,000xidiotx )

Does anyone know the Head Coaching salaries at the other elite schools? I’m especially interested in Delaware, UMASS, Apps State, Furman, Northern Iowa and YSU.

When you said elite schools, I also assumed you meant The Citadel xlolx where third year coach Kevin Higgins (who is doing a fabulous job BTW) makes 125,620. This does not include money from the summer football camps where he probably does pretty well. I am not sure if our booster club (Brigadier Club) pays him any extra. He does OK for FCS.

If interested, the link for all SC government salaries above 50K is
http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/news/special_packages/5121963.htm

As always, the highest paid people in government are the coaches, especially at Clemson and USC.

Peems
February 5th, 2007, 12:59 PM
i think some brought up a good point. the cost of living in missoula is not as much as in other states and we cant expect hauck's salary to sky rocket anytime soon. i would say making 125,000 in missoula coaching football is pretty good. Think about, walsh makes 133,000 and lives in PORTLAND. hauck has the better deal all around.

jstate83
February 5th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Jackson State .........................Comegy.................$1 57,000 plus.
Southern.................................Pete..... ................$200,000 plus

Alabama A@M, Gram...................Somewhere in the $140 to $160,000 range.

appfan2008
February 5th, 2007, 02:51 PM
i sure hope jerry moore makes 150 plus bc it takes one helluva lot of money to live in these mountains here in boone

FlyYtown
February 5th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Youngstown State
JON HEACOCK

$115,000 for each year.
Incentives for winning the Gateway Football Conference Championship
Winning the National Championship
Appearing in I-AA playoff games
Maintaining a solid Academic Progress Rate are also part of the package.

ChadWC
February 5th, 2007, 03:20 PM
You can look at the base salary and take it for what it is worth. The real money comes from the boosters and the coach meeting incentives. Hatch makes 200,000 but from what I have heard, he can rack up close to 400,000 if he meets all incentives(that is what I have heard so take it for what its worth). There aren't any of them going hungry you can bet that.

AshevilleApp
February 5th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Moore makes 100,000 according to the following article from Jan 2006

http://www.newsobserver.com/102/story/394065.html

bobcatfan06
February 5th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Coach Wright makes $150,000/year. That is what Coach Bailiff made as well.

CSU BUCS
February 5th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Pough at SC state makes 200k per year

The guy at Coastal makes 125k per year

And Bentley the new HC a PC makes 170k per year

jmuroller
February 5th, 2007, 04:37 PM
I've heard that Keeler makes 220,000K and Matthews makes 200,000k now. They are the 2 highest paid coaches in the A-10. These salaries don't include bonuses though, which can add up to 30k to both of their contracts.

Peems
February 5th, 2007, 04:39 PM

i bet he is making a little more now that he has back 2 back.

CITFAN
February 5th, 2007, 04:39 PM

200k is good scratch.

Wow, 170K for the PC head coach. The Dogs got a bargin for Higgins.:twocents:

CSU BUCS, what does your guy make?????

appfan2008
February 5th, 2007, 04:40 PM

HE DESERVES SO MUCH MORE!!!!!!!!!!

CITFAN
February 5th, 2007, 04:47 PM
HE DESERVES SO MUCH MORE!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I heard with an extra 10k or so he can put a bathroom in his house.xlolx

Of course, I am just kidding. It was a softball, I couldn't let it go. And who am I to make jokes, ASU ran us into the ground this year.

FargoBison
February 5th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Craig Bohl will make a base salary of 134,118 next year and will probably end up making somewhere around 160-170,000 after incentives and other income(camps, tv and radio shows) is added in.

TexasTerror
February 5th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Coach Wright makes $150,000/year. That is what Coach Bailiff made as well.

That ranks tops in the SLC...

SFA's last HC made just north of $100k...

I believe SHSU's Whitten makes just south of $100k...

appfan2008
February 5th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Of course, I am just kidding. It was a softball, I couldn't let it go. And who am I to make jokes, ASU ran us into the ground this year.

We run you into the ground EVERY year!

CITFAN
February 5th, 2007, 05:26 PM
We run you into the ground EVERY year!

A couple of years ago, we snuck one in on you. Next year, things might not be so easy for you. We'll see.

I cant believe they don't pay your guy more than 100k yearly. Is he ever gonna leave ASU? Seems someone would pick him up. Kinda the way Navy fished Paul Johnson out of GSU. And we know what happened there after Johnson left...

Mr. C
February 5th, 2007, 05:39 PM
i bet he is making a little more now that he has back 2 back.
No, he isn't. You can go to the App State library and look up the salaries of everyone on campus. But don't feel too sorry for Jerry. He made A LOT of money in real estate in between his time at Texas Tech and getting back into coaching at Arkansas and then App State.

True story: For years, Moore never even signed a contract at ASU. He could have walked away at any time. At this point, however, a coach that will soon be 68 years old isn't going anywhere else.

DTSpider
February 5th, 2007, 06:07 PM
I've heard that Keeler makes 220,000K and Matthews makes 200,000k now. They are the 2 highest paid coaches in the A-10. These salaries don't include bonuses though, which can add up to 30k to both of their contracts.

When you have two guys who have won NC's they should be the highest paid.

There was an article in the RTD about Clawson when he interviewed for the BC job. I think that he's in the $150k range, but apparently took less in order to get more money for his assistants. Either way, how many guys in their 30's make that much in Richmond (outside of the overpaid basketball coach : smh : )?

Ronbo
February 5th, 2007, 09:18 PM

There is a point there. $125,000 in Missoula is like getting $400,000 in San Luis Obispo for buying power. A $600,000 house in San Luis Obispo goes for $150,000 here. Two bedroom, 1 bath. You can rent a two bedroom apartment here for $500-$600. I'm sure many places on the East Coast are super high for living expenses too.

CSU BUCS
February 5th, 2007, 09:27 PM
200k is good scratch.

Wow, 170K for the PC head coach. The Dogs got a bargin for Higgins.:twocents:

CSU BUCS, what does your guy make?????

when they hired him in 2003 it was around 90k......... I have no Idea what he makes now.

rokamortis
February 5th, 2007, 10:24 PM

Actually Bennet's salary was $132K this past year and he has a built in $10K increase. So this year he was scheduled to pull in $142K. But .... they just announced that he has agreed to a new contract with extension. They haven't released any details. I guess he'll be in the $150K range this year with another $10K-$20K a year built in raise through 2015. This doesn't include his TV show which I have no clue how much he gets from that. One of the local news stations handles all of that.

Pough at SC State gets 175K base plus 25K for his TV show.

Eyes of Old Main
February 6th, 2007, 01:07 AM
I'm not sure how Coach Ayers is compensated. And I doubt anyone could get an exact answer considering how tight lipped Wofford is on things.

Safe to say it's competitive considering his long tenure, success, and add-ins.

GrizDen
February 6th, 2007, 01:17 PM
There is a point there. $125,000 in Missoula is like getting $400,000 in San Luis Obispo for buying power. A $600,000 house in San Luis Obispo goes for $150,000 here. Two bedroom, 1 bath. You can rent a two bedroom apartment here for $500-$600. I'm sure many places on the East Coast are super high for living expenses too.

I don't want to veer to far off the topic, but I haven't seen to many houses in Missoula for less than $225K that a family of 4 would be comfortable in. And for a Head Coach of the football team that will likely do some entertaining of Alumni, coaches and team members - they'll likely be looking at a home that cost $400K+ in Missoula. A 2 BR, 1 Bath home isn't going to cut it.

Here's a tool to compare the cost of living differences from most locations across the US:
http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costofliving/costofliving.html

By reviewing the responses above with salary numbers, I don't think a Head Coach at UM should be paid less than 15 or more other FCS Head Coaches. If anyone knows how much Hauck makes in addition to salary with the Nike agreement, tv/radio show etc....please enlighten.

Ronbo
February 6th, 2007, 01:28 PM
A 2 bedroom 1 bath home goes for $600,000 in some areas. We have them for $150,000. Our living expenses are better than some areas where coaches get paid about the same. San Luis Obispo is just one example, that's all. If Hauck wanted a 4 bedroom home in SLO he'd be looking at 1.5 to 2 million.

I've been looking in Missoula and I've seen some really nice 4-5 bedroom 3 bath homes for $325,000 recently. Here's one I looked at last week. http://virtualtourtv.com/Tours/RealEstate/TriWest/Missoula/BleykerHanna/607895/607895_plus.htm $319,000.

Have you watched those house hunting shows on HGTV? East Coast housing is really expensive and that's where most FCS teams are. 3-4 times the cost of Missoula.

Housing is the #1 determining factor to how expensive it is to live in an area of the Country. Imagine having a $4000 a month house payment instead of the $1200 a month you get in Missoula for the same house.

Here is the comparison between living in Missoula and San Francisco which is about the same as San Luis Obispo. Thanks for the link.

Groceries will cost: 19.415% more
Housing will cost: 237.695% more
Utilities will cost: 8.306% more
Transportation will cost: 24.573% more
Healthcare will cost: 18.294% more

Peems
February 6th, 2007, 02:59 PM
I don't want to veer to far off the topic, but I haven't seen to many houses in Missoula for less than $225K that a family of 4 would be comfortable in. And for a Head Coach of the football team that will likely do some entertaining of Alumni, coaches and team members - they'll likely be looking at a home that cost $400K+ in Missoula. A 2 BR, 1 Bath home isn't going to cut it.

Here's a tool to compare the cost of living differences from most locations across the US:

By reviewing the responses above with salary numbers, I don't think a Head Coach at UM should be paid less than 15 or more other FCS Head Coaches. If anyone knows how much Hauck makes in addition to salary with the Nike agreement, tv/radio show etc....please enlighten.

i understand what you are saying but most people dont have enough cash up front to buy their house, hence mortgages and payments etc. i would say our coach should have a salary around 150K seems reasonable and its not like BH has done anything to deserve a ridiculous amount yet.

JALMOND
February 6th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Walsh does have the benefit of coaching within the same university system as Bellotti (Oregon) and Riley (Oregon State). He also has stayed at Portland State for 14 years, guiding us through the transitional period from DII to the Big Sky. Looking at the figures, Walsh is not making a whole lot more than Hauck at Montana. Cost of living might play a role in it, but the cost of living in Portland is really not that much higher than in Montana (really, we are not talking about Seattle or the Bay Area here. A little higher, but not much.). Walsh does have incentives as well (conference championships, playoff wins, etc.), but no truth to the rumor about an incentive to beat Montana in Missoula. :smiley_wi

My guess is that $120,000-$130,000 is probably what most coaches in the Big Sky are getting. Anyone know what Montana State is paying Kramer?

Henwatcher
February 6th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Would you believe the $240,000-$245,000 range for Keeler to be REAL close?

89Hen
February 6th, 2007, 04:27 PM
IMO housing costs should have very little to do with it because of the relatively short term nature of HC positions. If you pay a guy based on your area's COL, when he leaves he may not be in such a great financial position. You may say, who cares what he does when he leaves, but that's not good business sense. :twocents:

Peems
February 6th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Walsh does have the benefit of coaching within the same university system as Bellotti (Oregon) and Riley (Oregon State). He also has stayed at Portland State for 14 years, guiding us through the transitional period from DII to the Big Sky. Looking at the figures, Walsh is not making a whole lot more than Hauck at Montana. Cost of living might play a role in it, but the cost of living in Portland is really not that much higher than in Montana (really, we are not talking about Seattle or the Bay Area here. A little higher, but not much.). Walsh does have incentives as well (conference championships, playoff wins, etc.), but no truth to the rumor about an incentive to beat Montana in Missoula. :smiley_wi

My guess is that $120,000-$130,000 is probably what most coaches in the Big Sky are getting. Anyone know what Montana State is paying Kramer?

not like it matters anyway:smiley_wi

crunifan
February 6th, 2007, 05:24 PM
UNI's Mark Farley has a base salary of $151,000 annually with extra money from the various incentives.

CSU BUCS
February 7th, 2007, 07:19 PM

According to that site I would need to make $2,300 more per year if I was to enjoy the same life style I now have in good ole' South Carolina. I thought it was cheap to live in the tundra.

ngineer
February 7th, 2007, 08:24 PM

Plausible at the University of DuPont...;) :D

EKU05
February 7th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Danny Hope's initial salry at EKU was $130,000. That's pretty good until you consider that second year basketball coach Jeff Neubauer gets $150,000.

igo4uni
February 7th, 2007, 10:34 PM
UNI's Mark Farley has a base salary of $151,000 annually with extra money from the various incentives.

He's underpaid, in my humble opinion.:twocents:

BigApp
February 8th, 2007, 11:30 PM
I read that NC Central is paying their new coach $130k guaranteed for 5 years.

Franks Tanks
February 9th, 2007, 06:52 AM
Towson's HC Gordy Combs played at Towson(State), graduated(1976), became an assistant coach(1977), took the program over as head coach(1991) and has been here ever since. Lives four blocks away, his son was the ball boy, went to Maryland to play lacrosse and is back at Towson as the assistant HC of the lacrosse team.
There is alot of turnover in FCS football, and eventually the Combs era will end. It will be very strange when it does and someone not from within gets the reigns.
Towson football since 1968, only three head coaches.

Gordy Combs is a great guy, I met him and spent quite a bit of time speaking to him on a recruiting vists to Towson. You are lucky to have him around.

Pauly LB
February 9th, 2007, 07:24 AM
CAL POLY's HEAD COACH RICH ELLERSON MAKES $132 K

Cal Poly head football coach Rich Ellerson has signed a three-year contract extension that will keep him with the Mustangs through the 2013 season.

Ellerson, who makes $131,844 annually, remains Cal Poly's second-highest paid coach behind men's basketball coach Kevin Bromley, according to contract figures released to The Tribune this week. Bromley makes about $134,000 annually on a contract that runs through March 2008.

Ellerson's deal, which includes a pay increase of about $20,000 a year, runs through December 2013 — 41/2 years longer than any other coaching contract at the university. Baseball coach Larry Lee and volleyball coach Jon Stevenson have contracts running through June 2009.

Long-term deals like Ellerson's are uncommon at Cal Poly, which typically extends contracts on a year-to-year basis. Of the 40 other head coaches and assistants on its current payroll, 32 have contracts scheduled to expire this year.

"This is where I want to be," said Ellerson, 52, whose previous contract was worth about $110,000 annually and ran through 2010. "I really appreciate it because this is what I've asked for all along, to stay here a while and keep doing this and doing it the right way with these people."

The two-time Great West Football Conference Coach of the Year completed his fifth year at Cal Poly last fall, the program's most successful season at the Division I-AA level.

The Mustangs went 9-4, won a share of a second straight Great West title and advanced to the quarterfinals in their first trip to the I-AA playoffs.

Cal Poly is 34-23 under Ellerson, enjoying three straight winning seasons for the first time since Joe Harper led them to 13 in a row from 1968-80.

If Ellerson remains at Cal Poly through 2013 he will have coached the Mustangs for 13 seasons. The longest stint by a Cal Poly football coach was 14 years by Harper from 1968 to 1981.

Ellerson's latest extension is on par with two recent deals inked by coaches from perennial playoff programs.

Youngstown State's Jon Heackock, 32-24 in his first five seasons, recently signed an extension through 2009 with a base salary of about $115,000.

Western Kentucky's David Elson (24-12 in three seasons) signed a contract worth approximately $130,000 annually, keeping him at the university through 2012.

Youngstown State has won four national championships. Western Kentucky won a national title in 2002.

Cal Poly, which had never been to the Division I-AA playoffs before Ellerson took over, has a better record than each of those two programs the past three years.

"I'm really excited for Rich and excited for what he has done for the program," Cal Poly athletic director Alison Cone said earlier this year. "Rich has done a great job developing his players and he's gone about building his program the right way."

Source: By Brian Milne, San Luis Obispo Tribune
http://www.sanluisobispo.com/mld/sanluisobispo/14267216.htm

catamount man
February 10th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Kent Briggs gets between $108,000-$130,000 a year.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

jmc_jackrabbit
February 10th, 2007, 08:03 AM
South Dakota State University Head Coach John Stiegelmeier makes $79,000 in base salary plus undisclosed additional income from things like camps, etc.

It's not nearly enough. Coach Stig is a great guy and an excellent coach. His players graduate at a rate 25 percent higher than the student body at large, and he managed to get his team into the final FCS rankings despite having only 51 scholarships (63 this year).

Cocky
February 10th, 2007, 08:40 AM
JSU's Jack Crowe make $150,000 plus bonuses, car, and radio/tv deals.

Sir William
February 10th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Kent Briggs gets between $108,000-$130,000 a year.

The question is: Is Western getting an equitable return on this investment?

BisBison
February 10th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Craig Bohl will make a base salary of 134,118 next year and will probably end up making somewhere around 160-170,000 after incentives and other income(camps, tv and radio shows) is added in.

Boy do we need to get THAT number up there. I'd like to see $200K or better. It's COLD up here, I'm sure his heat bills are staggering.

BisBison
February 10th, 2007, 10:43 AM
South Dakota State University Head Coach John Stiegelmeier makes $79,000 in base salary plus undisclosed additional income from things like camps, etc.

It's not nearly enough. Coach Stig is a great guy and an excellent coach. His players graduate at a rate 25 percent higher than the student body at large, and he managed to get his team into the final FCS rankings despite having only 51 scholarships (63 this year).

$79K:confused: :confused: are you serious?? You guys need to step it up big time. That's a D-II level salary.

catamount man
February 10th, 2007, 08:26 PM
The question is: Is Western getting an equitable return on this investment?

You could ask this for a number of FCS school as well, but since we tanked at 2-9 last season, I guess that makes us fair game. Fair enough. IMO, soon we will be, but then again when it comes to supporting Briggs, and I do, there are varying opinions. I'm ready for 2007.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

GoldandBlack
February 10th, 2007, 08:28 PM
You could ask this for a number of FCS school as well, but since we tanked at 2-9 last season, I guess that makes us fair game. Fair enough. IMO, soon we will be, but then again when it comes to supporting Briggs, and I do, there are varying opinions. I'm ready for 2007.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Have things settled down a little in Cullowhee going into Spring practice with a new recruiting class?

I hope so- last year was tough for you guys.

citdog
February 10th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Maybe things will improve in the Whee, as we go there this year to extend the streak!

Sir William
February 10th, 2007, 09:31 PM

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

I'm surprised that WCU hasn't had more consistent success over the last couple of decades. I think I speak for most of the rest of the SoCon when I say that we expect Western to eventually return to glory days much like the way it was for y'all during the Bob Waters era. :bow:

Good luck in '07...just not against us. :)

catamount man
February 11th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Have things settled down a little in Cullowhee going into Spring practice with a new recruiting class?

I hope so- last year was tough for you guys.

For the most part yes. All that talk of a massive exodus of players leaving because they hate Briggs was "all talk". Honestly, it was only a handful of kids, to my knowledge, from the last couple of years doing all the smack talk and they had their own personal agendas. Needless to say, most have completed their eligibility. We have lost a few due to academics, but Briggs and staff recruited 15 kids who can play the interior line plus the WNC player of the year in Zack Jaynes as well as 2 time AP NC player of the year, Thomasville RB Quan Warley.

While I don't see us contending for the SoCon in 2007, I expect A MUCH BETTER PERFORMANCE than 2-9. I think we'll come in around 4-7 to 6-5 and land another good class to get things going again in 2008.

We have retained our entire staff so far this offseason and that's huge. The previous 5 offseasons under Briggs saw 25 assts. bolt for other schools. This staff now seems to be grounded and that can only help for continuity's sake.

Hope this helps. GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Monarch Nation
February 11th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Bobby Wilder (recent hire at ODU) will get between $170,000 and $190,000 as a total package. I have no idea what his base salary at ODU will be.

Sources close to the hiring process say Wilder has a package that – including base salary, radio-television stipend, an annuity paid by ODU’s Intercollegiate Foundation and camp income – is valued between $170,000 and $190,000 a year.

Virginian Pilot story on Bobby Wilder (http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?story=119195&ran=213057)

GoldandBlack
February 11th, 2007, 01:55 PM
For the most part yes. All that talk of a massive exodus of players leaving because they hate Briggs was "all talk". Honestly, it was only a handful of kids, to my knowledge, from the last couple of years doing all the smack talk and they had their own personal agendas. Needless to say, most have completed their eligibility. We have lost a few due to academics, but Briggs and staff recruited 15 kids who can play the interior line plus the WNC player of the year in Zack Jaynes as well as 2 time AP NC player of the year, Thomasville RB Quan Warley.

While I don't see us contending for the SoCon in 2007, I expect A MUCH BETTER PERFORMANCE than 2-9. I think we'll come in around 4-7 to 6-5 and land another good class to get things going again in 2008.

We have retained our entire staff so far this offseason and that's huge. The previous 5 offseasons under Briggs saw 25 assts. bolt for other schools. This staff now seems to be grounded and that can only help for continuity's sake.

Hope this helps. GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Glad to hear it- the 'Whee is a great place to go to a game, and while I have no desire to be on the losing end to anyone in the SoCon, it would be nice to see the Catamounts back in the pack and competitive.

As Sir William so aptly put it- good luck in '07, just not against us.:)

GOKATS
February 11th, 2007, 06:14 PM

Kramer and Hauck are pretty much neck and neck pay wise.

catamount man
February 11th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Glad to hear it- the 'Whee is a great place to go to a game, and while I have no desire to be on the losing end to anyone in the SoCon, it would be nice to see the Catamounts back in the pack and competitive.

As Sir William so aptly put it- good luck in '07, just not against us.:)

Hoping October 27th brings another good game for your boys against mine. I would prefer a repeat of 2005 myself.:thumbsup:

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

GoldandBlack
February 11th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Hoping October 27th brings another good game for your boys against mine. I would prefer a repeat of 2005 myself.:thumbsup:

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Somehow, I knew '05 would come up in this conversation- one of the most painful games I've watched in quite a while. '06 went part of the way in assuaging the pain, but I need a win at your place to get that specter off my shoulder.

Obviously, I'm looking for that this year. The worst part is having to wait almost nine months for that road trip-:bawling:

catamount man
February 12th, 2007, 06:25 AM
It's weird like that isn't it? WCU has never won at Gibbs Stadium since you guys joined the SoCon. That's an 0-5 record against you guys in S'burg. You guys do defend your home turf well.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

bluehenbillk
February 12th, 2007, 07:37 AM

Too low, I know he's over the $300K mark for sure.

bcrawf
February 12th, 2007, 11:36 AM

I believe that he is going to get a raise in the next year. UNI had developed an "inner circle" of boosters to find a way to pay Greg McDermott, but when he decided to "take the money and run" to Ames. It was decided that that extra money would be split between Mark Farley, Bobbi Petersen (Volleyball) and Ben Jacobson (New Men's Basketball).

The way I understand it is that all three will get an additional $40,000 next year. That pushes Petersen into the $130,000 range. Jacboson into the $175,000 range. And Farley into the $200,000 range...

NE MT GRIZZ
February 12th, 2007, 12:47 PM
I believe that he is going to get a raise in the next year. UNI had developed an "inner circle" of boosters to find a way to pay Greg McDermott, but when he decided to "take the money and run" to Ames. It was decided that that extra money would be split between Mark Farley, Bobbi Petersen (Volleyball) and Ben Jacobson (New Men's Basketball).

The way I understand it is that all three will get an additional $40,000 next year. That pushes Petersen into the $130,000 range. Jacboson into the $175,000 range. And Farley into the $200,000 range...

$130,000 to coach Volleyball, you gotta be f@#$ing kidding me!:eek:

Unless all the recruits are really hot:thumbsup:

crunifan
February 12th, 2007, 01:26 PM
$130,000 to coach Volleyball, you gotta be f@#$ing kidding me!:eek:

Unless all the recruits are really hot:thumbsup:

Volleyball is HUGE at UNI.

Crowds over 2,000. And before the move to the McLeod Center earlier this year, UNI had only lost in the West Gym 11 times in the past 15 years or so.

Therefore, UNI pays enough to keep a very good coach!

citdog
February 12th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Kevin Higgins, the Head Coach of The Citadel Bulldogs makes 125,460 in base salary. He gets a house at Wild Dunes on the Isle of Palms and a car as well.

youwouldno
February 12th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Too low, I know he's over the $300K mark for sure.

Not exactly getting your money's worth of late...

redbirdtim
February 12th, 2007, 07:51 PM
For the raise we just gave Denver Johnson, he better produce because he's making a lot more than most of the top FCS coaches.

FlyYtown
June 5th, 2007, 09:32 PM
2007 Salary for YSU's Jon Heacock
$118,450

up $11,000 from 2006... See what making the playoffs and winning the Gateway can do for you!

danefan
June 5th, 2007, 09:35 PM
2006 Salary for UAlbany's Bob Ford
$122,000
But he's also been here for 37 years.

Seven Would Be Nice
June 5th, 2007, 10:58 PM
BVG was making $400,000 a year in FCS last year... and we all saw how that turned out...

xbawlingx

stuperman17
June 5th, 2007, 11:03 PM
2007 Salary for YSU's Jon Heacock
$118,450

up $11,000 from 2006... See what making the playoffs and winning the Gateway can do for you!

where do you find this stuff out?

CopperCat
June 5th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Kevin Higgins, the Head Coach of The Citadel Bulldogs makes 125,460 in base salary. He gets a house at Wild Dunes on the Isle of Palms and a car as well.

So you're basically saying that El Cid runs an all-inclusive football team?xlolx

thirdgendin
June 5th, 2007, 11:24 PM
From what I've heard, I believe Bobby Lamb is on the lower end of the scale here....maybe ~$125,000.

already123
June 6th, 2007, 12:12 AM
who is the highest paid coach in the FCS?

GannonFan
June 6th, 2007, 08:13 AM
who is the highest paid coach in the FCS?

I haven't seen anyone higher than Keeler at UD yet - just over $300k according to inside information (the state of Delaware does not make such information public as in some other areas). That would be a total package. Delaware is in the Northeast and cost of living affects that tremendously.

JoshUCA
June 6th, 2007, 08:15 AM
As of April 24, 2007:

Conque's contract extended

As the University of Central Arkansas moves up to NCAA Division I status and joins the Southland Athletic Conference, UCA executed a contract agreement with Head Football Coach Clint Conque to extend his tenure at least through the end of 2011.
Under the terms of his new contract, Conque's annual salary is $114,805, although it may be increased or supplemented with private contributions or from the proceeds of private contributions designated for that purpose.

The contract also includes performance incentives. If the football team has a winning season, Conque will receive a bonus equal to the team's winning percentage multiplied by the value of his salary for one month. And while the team may be ineligible to win a conference championship as it makes the transition to Division I, if it wins the "equivalent" of a conference championship under Conque (defined as finishing with the best win-loss record in the conference), Conque will receive an additional bonus equal to one-half of his monthly salary.

Ivytalk
June 6th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Harvard's Tim Murphy was recently given a contract extension through the 2011 season. Terms were not disclosed. Rumor has it that, when he interviewed for the Delaware job a few years back, money was a factor. I'm guessing that his salary is at least $200K, given the high cost of living in the Boston area.

Go Bison
June 6th, 2007, 03:03 PM

That does seem quite low. Maybe he makes a lot from his camps? He has his own website:

http://www.coachstig.com/jstig/

bisonguy
June 6th, 2007, 04:32 PM
That does seem quite low. Maybe he makes a lot from his camps? He has his own website:

http://www.coachstig.com/jstig/

The coaches can make a pretty good amount on camps, etc. Bohl made well over $30k additional in 2005 from camps and TV shows. He also has a privately funded annuity that was not disclosed.

seantaylor
June 6th, 2007, 06:11 PM
I'm pretty sure that Van Gorder was the highest paid coach last year. Hatcher doesn't make as much as Van Gorder, which for the life of me, I can't understand.

Hansel
June 6th, 2007, 07:05 PM
I'm pretty sure that Van Gorder was the highest paid coach last year. Hatcher doesn't make as much as Van Gorder, which for the life of me, I can't understand.
maybe GSU has no money left after paying BVD

Brad82
June 6th, 2007, 07:52 PM
I think Stowers is at $147k?

rokamortis
June 6th, 2007, 09:53 PM
This was posted in another thread but thought I would add here as well.

As of May 15 Bennett's compensation package is:

$160,000 Base salary with 8% increase per year
$20,000 TV Show
$1,000 Radio Show
??? - Profits from Summer Camp
$54,000 Bonus Potential

fuEMO
June 6th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Don't hold me to it but I believe Bobby Johnson made around 150K. 125K sounds too low for Lamb. Based on salaries for past and present basketball coaches I would expect a base salary between 175K and 200K. Lamb gets a big kick from long established individual and team camps.

Bobby is also a master at fundraising for the program.

ncbears
June 6th, 2007, 10:19 PM
I think Scott Downing is at about $100,000

seantaylor
June 6th, 2007, 11:38 PM
maybe GSU has no money left after paying BVD

That's not it because we didn't fire VG, and were planning on paying him his salary to coach this year.