2. Wofford (2-0): Much needed bye
3. Mercer (1-2): looks better in their 2 losses than Samford in their two wins
4. Samford (2-1): They haven't lost to UGA yet, but I'll take the risk here
5. Western (2-1): Defense is improved
6.Furman (0-3): They look better than Chatt
7. Chatt (0-3): looks absolutely terrible on offense
8. ETSU (1-2): Good showing against Citadel, but still aren't quite middle tier
9. VMI (0-3): they are really bad

Furman v. Colgate (Furman is better than their record shows and will be hungry for a win)
Wofford v. GW (Wofford's defense will likely control the LOS, I don't see GW running for 200 yards against us like they did against Western)
Chatt v. VMI (Chatt's offense is really really bad, but I think they're still better than VMI)
Mercer v. ETSU (Mercer is legit. This is their breakout year. ETSU has heart and steadily improving, but I don't see Mercer overlooking them as they are hungry for a W)
Samford v. Western(I think Western is "back" to the extent that last year was a down year by Spier's standards. This is something of an upset, but my pick for this is based on the assumption that Western's defense is good enough to get some stops and their offense is better than the other teams Samford has faced. It'll be a shoot out and the game of the week)

The Cats
September 16th, 2017, 08:42 PM
1. Citadel (3-0): Didn't look great but they have more wins than Wofford

Furman v. Colgate (Furman is better than their record shows and will be hungry for a win)
Wofford v. GW (Wofford's defense will likely control the LOS, I don't see GW running for 200 yards against us like they did against Western)
Chatt v. VMI (Chatt's offense is really really bad, but I think they're still better than VMI)
Mercer v. ETSU (Mercer is legit. This is their breakout year. ETSU has heart and steadily improving, but I don't see Mercer overlooking them as they are hungry for a W)
Samford v. Western(I think Western is "back" to the extent that last year was a down year by Spier's standards. This is something of an upset, but my pick for this is based on the assumption that Western's defense is good enough to get some stops and their offense is better than the other teams Samford has faced. It'll be a shoot out and the game of the week)

I agree.....

ElCid
September 16th, 2017, 08:48 PM

I agree.....

I think us at the top is a bit premature. We got some issues still. Seems like everyone does.

Reign of Terrier
September 16th, 2017, 08:56 PM
My thinking is Wofford and Citadel at the top simply because 1) they are undefeated and 2) they are the only ones with a conference win and 3) they are the only ones with more than one division one win.

No team meets any of those criteria

PaladinFan
September 16th, 2017, 08:58 PM
Incidentally, Elon upset Charleston Southern today.

I have no idea how good CSU is, but that makes me think that Elon isn't as bad as many folks may have assumed.

kdinva
September 16th, 2017, 09:01 PM
1. The Citadel
2. Wofford
3. Mercer
t3. Samford
5. WCU
6. Furman
7. UTC
8. ETSU
9. VMI

Furman 27; Colgate 23
Wofford 38; Gard-Webb 17
UTC 24; VMI 9
Mercer 31; ETSU 20
Samford 34; WCU 27

Reign of Terrier
September 16th, 2017, 09:06 PM
It's too early to say how good Elon or Furman or Charleston Southern is. It's possible that Elon sucks and they just got the best of a young Furman team early in the season.

I'd say the team we know the least about is Samford. We also don't have a good barometer of how good Furman or Western is.

Citadel, Wofford and Mercer are the clear top 3, followed by Western and Samford.

Blazrdog1
September 16th, 2017, 09:13 PM
NO way Western Cantrolina scores 27 on the Samford D!Western Cantrolina IS and ALWAYS will be the cellar dweller of the SoCon!

PaladinFan
September 16th, 2017, 09:13 PM
It's too early to say how good Elon or Furman or Charleston Southern is. It's possible that Elon sucks and they just got the best of a young Furman team early in the season.

I'd say the team we know the least about is Samford. We also don't have a good barometer of how good Furman or Western is.

Citadel, Wofford and Mercer are the clear top 3, followed by Western and Samford.

Elon wasn't a world beater, but they weren't awful either. I don't think they are playoff team, but I don't think they were a pushover either. Elon is a bit more veteran than Furman, but also played a lot of freshmen, so I can't play that card against them.

Samford, in my opinion, is the most dangerous team. Hodges is easily the best QB in the league. They have serious issues on defense, and are showing a huge flaw in defending the run. The SoCon will throw plenty of strong running games at them.

Colgate will be a good test for Furman. That would be a nice road win.

CID1990
September 16th, 2017, 09:38 PM
The Citadel will play flat and mistakey against BYE in the first half and will trail by a TD until they wear down BYE's defense and score two TDs in the 4th quarter, squeaking out a 4 point win. The stats will show a dominating performance by The Citadel.

ElCid
September 16th, 2017, 09:41 PM
NO way Western Cantrolina scores 27 on the Samford D!Western Cantrolina IS and ALWAYS will be the cellar dweller of the SoCon!

Samford's D?? What's that?

Reign of Terrier
September 16th, 2017, 09:42 PM

I would believe you if that squad of Samford players that takes the field when the opposition has the ball didn't give up ~35 points a game and Western's offense didn't average over 40 per game

woffordgrad94
September 16th, 2017, 09:43 PM
I'm going to be 100% blunt. Anyone who thinks Western Carolina is the cellar dweller right now instead of VMI is simply retarded and probably looks grotesque, deformed, and misshapen as a result of said retardation.

JSUSoutherner
September 16th, 2017, 09:49 PM
Samford's D?? What's that?
Isn't that the one that gave up 522 yards and 41 points to a D2 team?

tenNesseeCat
September 16th, 2017, 09:49 PM

I guess 1,700 yards of offense and 120+ points in 3 games isn't overly impressive. We don't really have any offensive weapons either. SU's D can probably go ahead and call in this coming week again.

ElCid
September 16th, 2017, 09:51 PM
I'm going to be 100% blunt. Anyone who thinks Western Carolina is the cellar dweller right now instead of VMI is simply retarded and probably looks grotesque, deformed, and misshapen as a result of said retardation.

Their defense is a little better as well. But WCU has issues with run defense. Oh, wait, Samford does run. I have to think about this game a bit.

PaladinFan
September 16th, 2017, 09:52 PM
I guess 1,700 yards of offense and 120+ points in 3 games isn't overly impressive. We don't really have any offensive weapons either. SU's D can probably go ahead and call in this coming week again.

If you like points, WCU and Samford is the game for you.

JSUSoutherner
September 16th, 2017, 09:53 PM
Their defense is a little better as well. But WCU has issues with run defense. Oh, wait, Samford does run. I have to think about this game a bit.
Samford averaged 2.9 YPC against KSU and West Alabama. WCU will be fine.

ElCid
September 16th, 2017, 10:04 PM
Samford averaged 2.9 YPC against KSU and West Alabama. WCU will be fine.

You obviously totally missed the sarcasm which was oozing from my keyboard. Their run game does not exist.

bonarae
September 16th, 2017, 10:05 PM
Furman
Wofford
Chattanooga
Mercer
WCU

Reign of Terrier
September 16th, 2017, 10:07 PM
I think Western will be able to establish a run game and win tbh

JSUSoutherner
September 16th, 2017, 10:07 PM
You obviously totally missed the sarcasm which was oozing from my keyboard. Their run game does not exist.
Yup. Guilty as charged.

Multitasking with alcohol isn't the easiest thing.... yet. :D

woffordgrad94
September 16th, 2017, 10:08 PM
I'm going to be 100% blunt once again. Right now the SoCon just doesn't look that strong. I was a bit disappointed in the Citadel's game at ETSU today. I guess you could interpret it as ETSU is getting better though. UTC lost one they should have won. VMI right now should stand for very much inept- they are terrible. One positive is that Mercer looked pretty good at Auburn for a while today. Furman and Samford got stomped as expected by Power 5 opponents.

1. Wofford (2-0 conference, 2-0 overall): They started out #1 so they stay #1 until they lose. Still best defense in conference
2. The Citadel (1-0, 3-0): Bulldogs came back on the road today to notch conference win.
3. Mercer (1-2, 0-1): Gave Auburn some problems today.
4. Samford (2-1, 0-0): That defense looks pretty weak. They might fall further if it isn't shored up.
5. WCU (1-2, 0-0): Got a win, but like Samford they have some problems stopping people.
6. Chattanooga (0-3, 0-0): Disappointing loss today...their main problems are on offense
7. Furman (0-3, 0-1): Played NC State close for much of first half, but still a ways to go
8. ETSU (1-2, 0-1): Lead The Citadel for a while today at home; program is making strides
9. VMI (0-3, 0-0): Likely destined for a winless season

Colgate 24, Furman 23: Another heartbreak for the Paladins
Wofford 38, Gardner-Webb 28: Terriers should blow GWU out but they won't
Chattanooga 45, VMI 7: Mocs have issues but VMI is awful
Mercer 24, ETSU 21: Bucs keep it close but Bears get the win
Samford 48, WCU 45: If you like offense this one is for you

Reign of Terrier
September 16th, 2017, 10:22 PM
Samford is averaging a whopping 71 yards rushing a game, through 3 games. They're averaging giving up 215 yards on the ground.

If I'm samford, what should be troubling 3 games in is that they only average about 260 yards through the air. That's not good enough. They need to have more than 300 yards. It only happened once and it was against the D2 team. They're completing about 67% of their passes, which isn't bad, but if Samford's strategy is to A) throw the ball a lot B) out-gain their opponents, they have yet to B three games in and A is only sporadically successful

phoenix3
September 16th, 2017, 10:23 PM
1 Citadel
2 Wofford
3 Furman
4 Mercer
5 Chattanooga
6 Samford
7 tie WCU
7 tie ETSU
9 VMI

Furman > Colgate
Wofford > Gardner Webb
Chattanooga > VMI
Mercer > ETSU (close)
Samford > WCU

tenNesseeCat
September 16th, 2017, 10:42 PM
Picks:
Colgate
Wofford
UTC
Mercer
WCU

Power:
Wofford
The Citadel
Mercer
WCU
Samford
Furman
ETSU
UTC
VMI

longtimemocfan
September 16th, 2017, 10:43 PM
Right now I'd put us 8th just ahead of VMI. We're good on defense just because we have so much talent on that side of the ball. The schemes the coaches are trying to implement do not match the players we have right now, especially on offense where the offensive line play is so poor. It's still a little early to panic, but I hope this isn't a coaching bust.

Smitty
September 16th, 2017, 11:41 PM

Does this mean we are worse than VMI?

SU DOG
September 17th, 2017, 01:42 AM
When conference action starts, I believe that the Samford defense will be better than most think. The running game? I dunno. Western will be a real test to really see what we have.

PaladinFan
September 17th, 2017, 06:30 AM
When conference action starts, I believe that the Samford defense will be better than most think. The running game? I dunno. Western will be a real test to really see what we have.

Just my observation, Samford's issues aren't really defensive scheme or talent, it is fundamentals - mostly tackling.

I think the Bulldogs have a fine shot to win the SoCon, and I think they are a talented bunch. Their defense really just needs to play well enough to not scuttle their offense.

I find that when you have an offense like Samford does, the primary goal of the defense should be to force turnovers and give the offense extra possessions. Tackling is not a strong suit, but I think a defense like theirs can play a little more fast and loose, bring extra pressure and take more chances trying to force turnovers. You may give up some untimely scores doing that, but if you can convert an extra possession or two per game for the offense, that probably makes up for it.

sudog03
September 17th, 2017, 06:52 AM
Samford has some real issues in back end of the defense which is causing a great number of big plays to be given up. We aren't quite as good on the interior of our DL has we have been the last few seasons. But as I watch every other team in the SoCon, I don't feel our flaws are any more pronounced than any other contender.

OL FU
September 17th, 2017, 07:26 AM
Wofford vs Gardner Webb - easy pick here.
Chatt vs VMI - looking like VMI might be Furman's one sure winxembarrassedx
Mercer vs ETSU - Still lots of question marks early in the season, but so far it looks like Mercer is certainly in the top half of the conference.
Samford vs WCU - shoot out at the Cullowhee corral.
Furman vs Colgate - Hard to tell. Colgate impressive against Cal Poly and Richmond. Furman impressive against Wofford and Elon isn't looking nearly as bad as people thought. Sagarin has us pretty even and while I think we are due, I don't think it is next weekend. Hope I'm wrong.

Mocs123
September 17th, 2017, 07:43 AM
I'm going to be 100% blunt once again. Right now the SoCon just doesn't look that strong. I was a bit disappointed in the Citadel's game at ETSU today. I guess you could interpret it as ETSU is getting better though. UTC lost one they should have won. VMI right now should stand for very much inept- they are terrible. One positive is that Mercer looked pretty good at Auburn for a while today. Furman and Samford got stomped as expected by Power 5 opponents.

1. Wofford (2-0 conference, 2-0 overall): They started out #1 so they stay #1 until they lose. Still best defense in conference
2. The Citadel (1-0, 3-0): Bulldogs came back on the road today to notch conference win.
3. Mercer (1-2, 0-1): Gave Auburn some problems today.
4. Samford (2-1, 0-0): That defense looks pretty weak. They might fall further if it isn't shored up.
5. WCU (1-2, 0-0): Got a win, but like Samford they have some problems stopping people.
6. Chattanooga (0-3, 0-0): Disappointing loss today...their main problems are on offense
7. Furman (0-3, 0-1): Played NC State close for much of first half, but still a ways to go
8. ETSU (1-2, 0-1): Lead The Citadel for a while today at home; program is making strides
9. VMI (0-3, 0-0): Likely destined for a winless season

Colgate 24, Furman 23: Another heartbreak for the Paladins
Wofford 38, Gardner-Webb 28: Terriers should blow GWU out but they won't
Chattanooga 45, VMI 7: Mocs have issues but VMI is awful
Mercer 24, ETSU 21: Bucs keep it close but Bears get the win
Samford 48, WCU 45: If you like offense this one is for you

Chattanooga should beat VMI but if we play anywhere close to the way we did last night we couldn't put 45 points up against a good high school team.

ElonFirefighter
September 17th, 2017, 08:13 AM
Incidentally, Elon upset Charleston Southern today.

I have no idea how good CSU is, but that makes me think that Elon isn't as bad as many folks may have assumed.From what I gather Elon has loads of potential and can only go up. With that said we have shown we are a young team and have made many major mistakes that almost cost us both games. Still to early to get a good read on CSU and Furman to get a read on Elon and while the home in me would love to say playoffs we are not an Auto team and I don't see the number of wins to make us an at large.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

PaladinFan
September 17th, 2017, 08:54 AM
Samford has some real issues in back end of the defense which is causing a great number of big plays to be given up. We aren't quite as good on the interior of our DL has we have been the last few seasons. But as I watch every other team in the SoCon, I don't feel our flaws are any more pronounced than any other contender.

I am 100% in agreement that every SoCon team has flaws. Even the most experienced and veteran team, Wofford, hasn't looked crisp.

I said it before, and will say it again, it wouldn't shock me to see a few teams share the title this season with two losses. I genuinely do not see anyone running the table.

PaladinFan
September 17th, 2017, 08:56 AM
From what I gather Elon has loads of potential and can only go up. With that said we have shown we are a young team and have made many major mistakes that almost cost us both games. Still to early to get a good read on CSU and Furman to get a read on Elon and while the home in me would love to say playoffs we are not an Auto team and I don't see the number of wins to make us an at large.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I was impressed with the Phoenix. They committed a ton of penalties and are not particularly good tacklers, but they got after us.

I still think that is a game Furman let get away. Hard to spot a team 3 touchdowns in the first quarter and expect a lot of good things.

Mocs123
September 17th, 2017, 09:11 AM
I am 100% in agreement that every SoCon team has flaws. Even the most experienced and veteran team, Wofford, hasn't looked crisp.

I said it before, and will say it again, it wouldn't shock me to see a few teams share the title this season with two losses. I genuinely do not see anyone running the table.

You may be right, but that would mean the SoCon would only get one (maybe two) team(s) in the playoffs.

The OOC schedule for the SoCon that was so good last year has been a dumpster fire. We hurt the SoCon last night losing to Martin for sure. It's not that they are a terrible team, they are not, but they are a team we should beat.

GreenGlasses
September 17th, 2017, 09:29 AM
[QUOTE=youngterrier;2528176]
[QUOTE]

Did Russ Huesman leave the cupboard that bare or is Tom Arth and his staff coming all the way from a nobody DIII team just that bad. When I first seen this hire it would have scared me if I was a Chatty fan. Clearly there had to be other candidates out there that was better qualified.

I haven't seen Chatty this bad since the Allison years, particularly the 2007 season when UTC went 2-9 with wins over GA Southern and Western Carolina.

SU DOG
September 17th, 2017, 09:54 AM
I'm not proclaiming Mercer to be the best team now, and I know they are 0-1 in conference play. I was shocked, however, at how good they looked yesterday. You can say that Auburn wasn't focused or whatever, but the way the Bears tackled in the open field, ran many plays that surprised the Tigers' defense, and had a young QB that showed great poise has to be considered impressive. I don't think any team in our conference could have represented the SoCon any better than Mercer did at Auburn yesterday.

Reign of Terrier
September 17th, 2017, 10:11 AM
As far as I'm concerned the Socon will get *at least* 2 teams in the playoffs. At least 2 more will make a push. I don't think the conference as a whole is worse, just Chattanooga and maybe Samford (too soon to tell). Having said that I think mercer, western and Furman are clearly improved. Though VMI is bad and ETSU isn't good, ETSU is still slightly better than last year already.

Similarly the Citadel is still good, as is Wofford. Offensively, Wofford is a little better than last year, and the defense is on par as well. We missed our all conference nose guard the first two games but he will be back against GWU. What's not been good for wofford has been kick coverage. Last year our special teams blocked a few kicks and set up some points for our offense. Two weeks in they seem to be lackluster, but our offense and defense have somewhat picked up the slack

FUBeAR
September 17th, 2017, 10:14 AM
I'm not proclaiming Mercer to be the best team now, and I know they are 0-1 in conference play. I was shocked, however, at how good they looked yesterday. You can say that Auburn wasn't focused or whatever, but the way the Bears tackled in the open field, ran many plays that surprised the Tigers' defense, and had a young QB that showed great poise has to be considered impressive. I don't think any team in our conference could have represented the SoCon any better than Mercer did at Auburn yesterday.

Dissenting opinion from PaladinFan in 3...2...1...

drpnut
September 17th, 2017, 12:28 PM
There was quite a few people giving Wofford a hard time for winning close hard fought games. So to be fair we need to give ELCid some grief for barely hanging on to win against a team that is no where near the caliber of Mercer. I did drop ElCid one spot in my poll. Fair is fair.

PaladinFan
September 17th, 2017, 12:47 PM
Dissenting opinion from PaladinFan in 3...2...1...

I thought Mercer looked good. President Underwood had a sly look on this face when I heard him speak Friday night, so I know he was pleased.

I said this in the pregame lead up, but Bobby Lamb schemes these games well. I thought Mercer did the things they needed to do to keep it competitive: get the ball out of Riley's hands quick, not give up big plays, and get a few bounces.

ElCid
September 17th, 2017, 01:05 PM
There was quite a few people giving Wofford a hard time for winning close hard fought games. So to be fair we need to give ELCid some grief for barely hanging on to win against a team that is no where near the caliber of Mercer. I did drop ElCid one spot in my poll. Fair is fair.

I'm certainly not giving you grief. We did the same over and over again last year. But in the end a win is a win. As a comparison we beat those same teams last year by 6 points total. You beat them by 2 points total. Not a big deal.

As far as hanging on goes for us this year, while watching the games I never got the feeling that we were hanging on. We dominated all three games so far, even if the scores did not reflect it. Yup the first and especially the last were closer than it should have been and we were down in the last one for quite a while, but what I really liked is they simply went about their business and did what they needed to without any panic. Same happened last year. That is something we have been missing for a long time until the last few years.

I am not sure why folks are putting us at the top. Not deserved yet. Wofford is in much better shape. I do like what I am seeing from the Dogs in regard to improving, but I need them to get by Samford before I think about moving them up. And even then it will be a fur ball of a four week run for us...Samford, Mercer, Wofford and UTC all in a row. Although UTC is suspect right now, when they get back their QB, they may be back in business, at least a little better. We could easily be 3-4 by the UTC game. I don't think we will, but splitting those games is a fairly reasonable prediction.

I know folks are a bit high on Mercer after their performance yesterday, and it was pretty good, but to be truthful, after getting handed the ball 5 times on turnovers, I would have expected a few more points. And Auburn still got 510 yards of offense. Again, don't get me wrong, I think they did exactly what they needed to and they should be commended, I think they forced all of those turnovers. But not sure they deserve a huge bump, yet. I need to see a bit more Ws first.

citdog
September 17th, 2017, 01:43 PM

A touchdown victory on the road vs a SoCon Opponent is nothing to hang heads over. I mean it isn't like we won by a point against a team that lost to Elon....

Reign of Terrier
September 17th, 2017, 01:45 PM
A touchdown victory on the road vs a SoCon Opponent is nothing to hang heads over. I mean it isn't like we won by a point against a team that lost to Elon....
Counterpoint:

17-3

Catamount87
September 17th, 2017, 01:47 PM
Predictions

Furman v. Colgate - Furman has yet to put together a complete game.
Wofford v. GW - GW is a bit like Furman, better than their record but still missing pieces of the puzzle
Chatt v. VMI - VMI is the solution to UTC’s goose egg
Mercer v. ETSU - ETSU is better than folks think but Mercer is a step ahead
Samford v. Western - It’ll be a shootout for sure, ala the 2015 game between these two. Cats have the better of the two defenses.

Power Poll

Wofford - Doing what it takes to continue to be top dog
Citadel - Undefeated but suspect
Mercer - Look better across the board than Samford
Samford - Playing the dangerous game of trying to outscore to overcome defensive shortcoming (SoCon Stats - #3 Scoring Offense, #5 Total Offense, #8 Rushing Offense, #2 Pass Offense VS #7 in Scoring Defense, #9 Total Defense, #6 Rushing Defense, #9 Pass Defense)
WCU - Potent offense and bend-don’t-break defense
UTC - Recent year’s success and reputation keeping them above Furman
ETSU - Look past them and pay the price
Furman - 2017’s SoCon Dr Jekyll/Mr. Hyde. They've gotten good at that part over the last 4 years.
VMI - There’s a dumpster fire starting to burn in Lexington

citdog
September 17th, 2017, 02:02 PM
Counterpoint:

17-3

Ancient history now. It's the current year Bro!

ElCid
September 17th, 2017, 02:31 PM
1. Wofford - Still on top with 2 SOCON Ws
2. The Citadel - lots of mental errors in first half, but still came through
3. Samford - Defense is soft, but Offense is potent
4. Mercer - Good showing against SEC, can move up with some Ws
5. WCU - Some energy coming out of Cullowhee
6. Furman - Wandering
7. UTC - Also wandering
8. ETSU - Still needs the ball to bounce their way
9. VMI - Totally lost

Furman at Colgate - Tough game on the road - 31-28
Gardner-Webb at Wofford - Terriers get it done pretty easily - 38-10
Chattanooga at VMI - Mocs finally get it together - 38-3
Mercer at ETSU - Mercer lets loose - 31-10
Samford at Western Carolina - Lots of scoring, Samford just a little bit better - 42-31

JSUSoutherner
September 17th, 2017, 02:32 PM
Does UTC get Bennifield and Warren back this week?

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 17th, 2017, 02:43 PM
I was 6-1 last weekend with Chattanooga coming up short against their brother in another conference. ETSU and Mercer had nothing to be ashamed of yesterday. Here's where I have it after this past weekend.

1) Wofford - Still have them here.
2) The Citadel - Should be thanking God over yesterday.
3) Western Carolina - Two straight wins against some of the weakest links in D1.
4) Samford - Could be in trouble soon enough.
5) Mercer - Had a hell of an effort against Auburn.
6) ETSU - Had they won, I would be talking all kinds of smack to citdog among others.
7) Chattanooga - Still the best winless team in the SoCon.
8) Furman - Saw their house get blown down by the Wolfpack.
9) VMI - Not a good scene.

Predictions
Furman @ Colgate - Paladins lose once again
Gardner-Webb @ Wofford - Terriers send the Bulldogs to 0-2 vs. the SoCon
Chattanooga @ VMI - Mocs better win this one or else.
Mercer @ ETSU (Game of the Week) - Third time will be the charm.
Samford @ Western Carolina (Game of the Week #2) - Catamounts expose Bulldogs for the team they are.

Milktruck74
September 17th, 2017, 02:51 PM
Does UTC get Bennifield and Warren back this week?

I have heard Warren this week and Benefield next.

JSUSoutherner
September 17th, 2017, 02:52 PM
Thanks

citdog
September 17th, 2017, 03:01 PM
I was 6-1 last weekend with Chattanooga coming up short against their brother in another conference. ETSU and Mercer had nothing to be ashamed of yesterday. Here's where I have it after this past weekend.

1) Wofford - Still have them here.
2) The Citadel - Should be thanking God over yesterday.
3) Western Carolina - Two straight wins against some of the weakest links in D1.
4) Samford - Could be in trouble soon enough.
5) Mercer - Had a hell of an effort against Auburn.
6) ETSU - Had they won, I would be talking all kinds of smack to citdog among others.
7) Chattanooga - Still the best winless team in the SoCon.
9) VMI - Not a good scene.

Predictions
Furman @ Colgate - Paladins lose once again
Gardner-Webb @ Wofford - Terriers send the Bulldogs to 0-2 vs. the SoCon
Chattanooga @ VMI - Mocs better win this one or else.
Mercer @ ETSU (Game of the Week) - Third time will be the charm.
Samford @ Western Carolina (Game of the Week #2) - Catamounts expose Bulldogs for the team they are.

Why should The Citadel be thanking G-D? A win on the road in this league is a win on the road. ETSU was better but The Citadel accomplished their goal. 3-0 heading into the bye week.

Total Yards

Pass Yards

Rushing Yards

Penalty Yards
5-60
2-10

1st Downs

3rd Downs
9-17
2-12

4th Downs
0-2
0-1

37:00
23:00

cx500d
September 17th, 2017, 03:03 PM
Colgate
Wofford
UTC
ETSU
Samford

ElCid
September 17th, 2017, 03:10 PM
Why should The Citadel be thanking G-D? A win on the road in this league is a win on the road. ETSU was better but The Citadel accomplished their goal. 3-0 heading into the bye week.

Total Yards

Pass Yards

Rushing Yards

Penalty Yards
5-60
2-10

1st Downs

3rd Downs
9-17
2-12

4th Downs
0-2
0-1

I was just about to post that, but I said, why bother. We dominated then, like we did the first two. The score didn't reflect it, and that is the ultimate stat, but I just knew they would get focused and crank out the yards to the goal each time.

Second half possessions by The Citadel? 5.....4 scores and a knee. Done.

Reign of Terrier
September 17th, 2017, 03:31 PM
Ancient history now. It's the current year Bro!

Ironic from a Citadel fan ;)

OpTimeGuy
September 17th, 2017, 03:40 PM
Forman v Colgate
G-W v Wofford
UTC v VMI
Mercer v ETSU--I expect the Bucs to sneak up on more than one team this year. However, as already pointed out, the Bucs were dominated by The Citadel in every facet of the game with the exception of the score. ETSU is still a couple of years away from being a force in the conference.
Samford v WCU

1. Wofford
2. The Citadel--It was obvious to me at ETSU that they were/are much better than the score indicates. Too many mental breakdowns were the reason for the score, not any huge improvement for the Bucs
3. Mercer
4. Chattanooga
5. Samford
6. Western Carolina
7. Furman
8. ETSU
9. VMI

ElCid
September 17th, 2017, 03:56 PM
Forman v Colgate
G-W v Wofford
UTC v VMI
Mercer v ETSU--I expect the Bucs to sneak up on more than one team this year. However, as already pointed out, the Bucs were dominated by The Citadel in every facet of the game with the exception of the score. ETSU is still a couple of years away from being a force in the conference.
Samford v WCU

1. Wofford
2. The Citadel--It was obvious to me at ETSU that they were/are much better than the score indicates. Too many mental breakdowns were the reason for the score, not any huge improvement for the Bucs
3. Mercer
4. Chattanooga
5. Samford
6. Western Carolina
7. Furman
8. ETSU
9. VMI

I am still trying to figure out how we had our long snapper hit one of our guys. It almost looks like he moved into the path of the snap a second before the snap. I have to watch it again. The one area that I liked in regard to ETSU was that you capitalized on our mistakes. Like that punt flub. Boom you scored. In many cases teams don't capitalize on errors like they should. Not sure what happened on the blocked FG either. It looked low, and your guys were there. I don't think they got through, but I have to watch that one again as well. Our kicker did fine later. Your QB is actually pretty good. One area we need improving on is in pass defense. It has gotten better over the three games, but he made some nice completions. Our D put some pretty good pressure on him as well. The bottom line is that nobody had better sleep on anyone in the conference. You taught Samford that already. Sorry I missed the game in person. Stadium looks nice. I will have to catch it in two years.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 17th, 2017, 05:10 PM

Total Yards

Pass Yards

Rushing Yards

Penalty Yards
5-60
2-10

1st Downs

3rd Downs
9-17
2-12

4th Downs
0-2
0-1

I was following the game as well. You were very reliant on your run game while we were reliant on our passing game. You guys wanted it more than we did.

walliver
September 17th, 2017, 05:12 PM
Power Rankings:
1) Wofford - didn't play
2) The Citadel - beat a team they were expected to beat handily, that doesn't move you up
3) Samford -my impression of Samford is tainted by frequent late season breakdowns, but they haven't lost yet this year to a FCS
4) WCU - my general impressions of WCU have been tainted by years of bad football - but they only have a G5 loss so far
5) Mercer - toss-up with WCU, could have just as easily ranked them #4
6) Furman - winless against an all D-1 schedule
7) Chattanooga - winless against an all D-1 schedule - losing almost all the coaching staff has hurt a lot. I suspect Arth will eventually be successful, but D3 to FCS is a big jump.
8) ETSU - A D2 victory (against a bad D2), but no good wins yet
9) intentionally left blank
10) VMI - this team would have trouble competing in the Pioneer. Was Cobb really a one-man team?

This week:
Wofford at Gardner Webb - T-dogs will win by more than 1, but fewer than most would expect. Hopefully our first year DC will realize that the pass should be defended against in all 4 quarters. T-Dogs 28-20.
Furman at Colgate - This is evolving into a must-win game for FU. The New Yorkers have successfully defended the option already this year and should be ready for the horsies and should be favorites, but purple pukes pull the upset and win 24-23
Chattanooga at VMI - Mocs have the talent to win by 49, and the scheme to win by 10. Mocs pull off a 20-0 victory.
Mercer at ETSU - The Mountain Pirates tried hard to win their new home conference opener. Mercer want give them enough handouts to make it competitive, and cubbies win 38-17
Samford at WCU - 2 teams I don't really have a good feel for, but both with score lots of points. Game will be decided by turnovers and Sammy pulls out a 102-99 victory ... probably more like 45-42

As far as playoffs, Chatty and FU have dug early season holes, and VMI is not in contention, but most other teams are doing well. I would go with 3 teams, with 4 a possibility. It is way too early to pick, but Wofford, the Citadel, Samford, Mercer, and WCU are all in contention for at-large bids. Chatty probably needs to win the conference, and FU or ETSU needs to run the table. VMI has not lost a conference game yet, but I don't see a miraculous comeback at this point.

sudog03
September 17th, 2017, 06:15 PM
(SoCon Stats - #3 Scoring Offense, #5 Total Offense, #8 Rushing Offense, #2 Pass Offense VS #7 in Scoring Defense, #9 Total Defense, #6 Rushing Defense, #9 Pass Defense)

I wonder what our stats would look like if our opponents average Massey rating was 313 like Citadel for instance, versus the 159 it is now. The d2 school we beat has a higher massey rating than any opponent Citadel has played to date.

Milktruck74
September 17th, 2017, 06:39 PM
1. Citadel
1. Wofford
3. Samford
4. Mercer
5. Western
6. Furman
7. Mocs
8. ETSU
9. VMI

Furman
Wofford
Mocs
ETSU- Why Not????
Western - While I'm picking the underdog!!!

citdog
September 17th, 2017, 07:21 PM
I wonder what our stats would look like if our opponents average Massey rating was 313 like Citadel for instance, versus the 159 it is now. The d2 school we beat has a higher massey rating than any opponent Citadel has played to date.

It's THE Citadel. You'll discover that AGAIN in two weeks.

ElCid
September 17th, 2017, 08:58 PM

Ha. Samford's D at least is not good, you must know that. Not saying you can't get better, but so far, it isn't good.

And as far as stats go....

Total D
The Citadel 237 yards a game
Samford 508.7 yards a game

Take out Georgia and it is actually higher at 533.5 yards per game!

More than double in either event, so......

and

Total O
The Citadel 476 yards per game
Samford 333 yards per game

Eh....

You got a big SOS bump with Georgia so far. We can look again at the end of the season since our SOS is forecast to be ranked 46th in FCS and Samford's to ranked 43rd in FCS per Massey. That could change a bit, but our schedules are about even for the year.

sudog03
September 17th, 2017, 09:52 PM
Ha. Samford's D at least is not good, you must know that. Not saying you can't get better, but so far, it isn't good.

And as far as stats go....

Total D
The Citadel 237 yards a game
Samford 508.7 yards a game

Take out Georgia and it is actually higher at 533.5 yards per game!

More than double in either event, so......

and

Total O
The Citadel 476 yards per game
Samford 333 yards per game

Eh....

You got a big SOS bump with Georgia so far. We can look again at the end of the season since our SOS is forecast to be ranked 46th in FCS and Samford's to ranked 43rd in FCS per Massey. That could change a bit, but our schedules are about even for the year.

Surely you know the fallacy in looking at total o/d versus yard per play right? Citadels number are better in that regard too, but the margins get much closer. I'm sure as the schedules even out, so will those margins. Looking forward to the game in a couple of weeks. Other than a couple of instances it's been a really close affair recently.

Catamount87
September 18th, 2017, 06:51 AM
Since y'all are going to play that stats game. You might as well toss in these too.

Scoring Offense vs Scoring Defense
Citadel - 36.7 ppg VS Samford - 35.3 ppg
Samford - 30.3 ppg VS Citadel - 15.3 ppg

Oh hell, let's go a bit further

Pass Offense vs Pass Defense
Citadel 96 ypg VS Samford 297 ypg
Samford 261.7 ypg VS Citadel 166.3 ypg

Rush Offense VS Rush Defense
Citadel 380 ypg VS Samford 211.7 ypg
Samford 71.3 ypg VS Citadel 70.7 ypg

Cat-in-GA
September 18th, 2017, 08:10 AM
Power Ranking. I did not do any previous rankings because I think it takes a few games to see how teams are shaping up. These rankings are based on what I see this year.
1) Wofford
2) The Citadel
3) Mercer
4) Western Carolina
5) Samford
6) ETSU
7) Chattanooga
8) Furman
9) VMI

Predictions
Furman @ Colgate - I don't know anything about Colgate, so I'm picking Furman.
Gardner-Webb @ Wofford - This will be a low scoring game, but Wofford wins 21-7.
Chattanooga @ VMI - VMI is just what the doctor ordered for Chatt's ills. Chatt by 18.
Mercer @ ETSU - ETSU is not a pushover, but Mercer wins by 17.
Samford @ Western Carolina - WCU's offense is even better than advertised, and their defense is fast. Samford had the preseason hype, but WCU is a more well rounded team. WCU by 10.

tenNesseeCat
September 18th, 2017, 08:16 AM
Wofford at Gardner Webb - T-dogs will win by more than 1, but fewer than most would expect. Hopefully our first year DC will realize that the pass should be defended against in all 4 quarters. T-Dogs 28-20.

Maxwell for GW is a pretty good athlete. He's big, fast, and will take a hit, but he's not the best passer. He's a Walter Payton award watch list guy, and big south offensive player of the year last year. If you can stop him, they don't have a whole lot else to gash you with. I think Wofford will be fine, they just have to slow down Maxwell.

ElonFirefighter
September 18th, 2017, 09:46 AM

Well it was already burnt to ashes by the Phoenix, so the wolf didnt have to huff and puff too hard

PaladinFan
September 18th, 2017, 10:06 AM
Well it was already burnt to ashes by the Phoenix, so the wolf didnt have to huff and puff too hard

Elon fans ETSU fans must sit around telling jokes and talk about their playoff appearance.

ElonFirefighter
September 18th, 2017, 11:24 AM
Elon fans ETSU fans must sit around telling jokes and talk about their playoff appearance.

x406xx406xoh i remember that year. It snowed and we had to walk 8 miles uphill both ways. But you need to remember we have sucked so bad we need to talk smack, otherwise the pain will be to much to stans

NorthChuckSouth
September 18th, 2017, 11:28 AM
Furman v. Colgate - I just don't see Furman winning this one
Wofford v. GWU - As much as i want to see GWU win this one I just don't think they have it in them
Chatt v. VMI - Chatt wins by two or three touchdowns
Mercer v. ETSU - ETSU's success last week was due to an over travelled Bulldog team
Samford v. Western - Samford wins by three touchdowns

citdog
September 18th, 2017, 11:30 AM
Wofford v. GWU - As much as i want to see GWU win this one I just don't think they have it in them
Mercer v. ETSU - ETSU's success last week was due to an over travelled Bulldog team

What success did ETSU have? They lost. GOOD teams win games on the road against conference opponents. Got Elon?

ElCid
September 18th, 2017, 11:38 AM

I think that definitely played a part even if we have an issue here and there as well. From what I gathered, they spent one entire day in Charleston. All the other days they were traveling at one point or another. Not sure folks understood that. Throw in a former teammates death (a former leader to the Jrs and Srs), and it made for some distractions. You never know how these young men will react to these distractions. I think they did fine regardless.

Smitty
September 18th, 2017, 12:02 PM

Still fully against western? We may lose but judging both defenses I highly doubt it is 3 scores, probably 45 - 34 or something high.

SU DOG
September 18th, 2017, 12:25 PM
Still fully against western? We may lose but judging both defenses I highly doubt it is 3 scores, probably 45 - 34 or something high.

Totally agree Smitty. Western really impressed me @ GWU. That Catamount offense can score on anybody. I'm wondering if this game will come down to being decided by mistakes. I'm picking Samford, not only for the homer reason, but because I'm thinking it is time for our defense to show what they are capable of. Last year we were able to hold WCU to 17 points, but this year's WCU offense looks way better. Sure is an interesting matchup.

BearDownMU
September 18th, 2017, 12:30 PM
Yeah, Sammy-Western has shootout written all over it. Which means it will probably end up 13-10 or something. lol

citdog
September 18th, 2017, 12:34 PM
Yeah, Sammy-Western has shootout written all over it. Which means it will probably end up 13-10 or something. lol

Who knows this year? It's pretty wide open. The only sure thing is that furman sucks.

SU DOG
September 18th, 2017, 12:57 PM
SoConJohn's thoughts:

https://medium.com/@SoConJohn22/southern-conference-recaps-and-power-rankings-for-week-3-f8745cc16f57

Catamount87
September 18th, 2017, 01:11 PM
Totally agree Smitty. Western really impressed me @ GWU. That Catamount offense can score on anybody. I'm wondering if this game will come down to being decided by mistakes. I'm picking Samford, not only for the homer reason, but because I'm thinking it is time for our defense to show what they are capable of. Last year we were able to hold WCU to 17 points, but this year's WCU offense looks way better. Sure is an interesting matchup.

Last year is starting to look like an anomaly year for Coach Speir. We had a new DC who screwed up a decent thing. (We weren't great the previous two year but held our own enough.) That defensive dumpster fire basically sold out the offense. Coach Speir fired the DC a week after the Samford game, which was the low point for us defensively. Once Coach Speir started to undo the damage everything started to improve.

I think the difference comes down to special teams and rushing. We both have high scoring offenses with ours a more balanced attack. Neither of us defend the run overly well but we run the ball substantially better.

FUBeAR
September 18th, 2017, 02:26 PM
Last year is starting to look like an anomaly year for Coach Speir. We had a new DC who screwed up a decent thing. (We weren't great the previous two year but held our own enough.) That defensive dumpster fire basically sold out the offense. Coach Speir fired the DC a week after the Samford game, which was the low point for us defensively. Once Coach Speir started to undo the damage everything started to improve.

I think the difference comes down to special teams and rushing. We both have high scoring offenses with ours a more balanced attack. Neither of us defend the run overly well but we run the ball substantially better.

I need to watch some more WCU video. All I have seen is the 1st quarter of the Davidson game and I was surprised that I was NOT at all impressed with the Defense. Davidson had WR's running free almost every time they passed (7 completions for 75 yds in Q1) and they were also able to stick the ball up into the Cats D for some solid gains on some running plays (9 for 38 yards | Total Yards = 113 in Q1...and this is Davidson, right?). And G-W had only scored 3 total points in 2 games before scoring 9x that amount against WCU. Looks like the Runnin' Bulldogs' Offense went for about double their Avg yards and 1st downs also.

Cats may be 'fixed' on D now...but I haven't / don't see it...yet.

PaladinFan
September 18th, 2017, 02:45 PM

I feel comfortable in saying this one one end up low scoring.

I did go back and look at the WCU/Samford game from last season. Really ugly game from WCU's defensive standpoint. I imagine they'll be better this go around.

tenNesseeCat
September 18th, 2017, 02:52 PM
I need to watch some more WCU video. All I have seen is the 1st quarter of the Davidson game and I was surprised that I was NOT at all impressed with the Defense. Davidson had WR's running free almost every time they passed (7 completions for 75 yds in Q1) and they were also able to stick the ball up into the Cats D for some solid gains on some running plays (9 for 38 yards | Total Yards = 113 in Q1...and this is Davidson, right?). And G-W had only scored 3 total points in 2 games before scoring 9x that amount against WCU. Looks like the Runnin' Bulldogs' Offense went for about double their Avg yards and 1st downs also.

Yes, we are still a little soft on D, but we are better than we were last year. I wouldn't say they are "fixed." They seem to have that bend but don't break thing. They held strong at Hawaii late in that game, and gave or O multiple opportunities to make it a 1 score game. 6 points came from a blocked FG they returned. I would have liked for us to shut down Davidson more than we did, but we did give them great field position on a muffed punt. They turned it into 7. GW has a heck of a guy at QB, especially on the run. They got a garbage TD on the reserves late, like 5 seconds left in the game. They also capitalized on the one INT Tyrie threw. Returned it to the 1, I believe. My point here being, yea we've given up some yards and points, but our O and special teams has put them in some bad situations. This weekend will be a good test to see where our D stands. We are soft on the run, but SU doesn't run very well. They pass well, and we have 5 picks on the year. We'll see I guess

Catamount87
September 18th, 2017, 03:37 PM

Oh we're far from fixed. Watch a few series from last year, that defense had issues. That's why I keep calling it a dumpster fire, it was beyond a mess. The schemes and plays were reportedly excessively complicated, often convoluted, the signals cryptic for even the folks that knew them, the game strategy mystifying and in-game adjustments were nonexistent because of all the confusion. In that scheme our players were often out of position because they were confused about where they were supposed to be, confused about what and where their teammates were supposed to be, confused about who was to do what...on and on.

We still don't contain the run at the line well, don't get good penetration and pressure, have too many holes in coverage, especially in zone coverage and we lack depth, especially on the line. What we do have is buy-in from the players on the system, the scheme and the coaches, generally a good understanding of where they are to be, what they are to do and the same about their teammates. We also have good speed and conditioning, as well as ,enthusiasm, heart, chemistry and team attitude.

gofurman
September 18th, 2017, 06:57 PM

The problem for Furman... Other than rebuilding, new coach, new O, new D (4-3 now 3-4) and a gazillion freshman - 6 of 10 OL are freshman! Only two defensive players of 22 D players are seniors. The problem is now we are injured too. Lost THREE starting linebackers. OL. And a starting DL. Losing al the LBs like that is hard in FBS. It can be decimating in FCS.

Not poor mouthing. Just facts. We are building for future and honestly I am excited. Wofford saw us at their place w all these new guys in new roles and new plays we are still learning. By next year and the next we will be back. But we need to develop depth.

I I would love a win at Colgate. But I'll take improvement- having only one penalty at NC State and hitting every FG was a good start. Had some good offense at times. I think over 300 yards vs SEVERAL NFL players? Our D is a totally new scheme and now w the injury bug ... Both Woff and Elon scored late in the game on us and now we are thinner

OL FU
September 18th, 2017, 07:16 PM
I think a Colgate win is possible. Not sure how practical it is. Just looking forward to once again shutting up citdog a couple of years from now

The Pud
September 18th, 2017, 07:18 PM

Excellent summary. I agree

citdog
September 18th, 2017, 08:28 PM
I think a Colgate win is possible. Not sure how practical it is. Just looking forward to once again shutting up citdog a couple of years from now

Gonna be a GREAT decade...

Go...gate
September 18th, 2017, 11:05 PM
The problem for Furman... Other than rebuilding, new coach, new O, new D (4-3 now 3-4) and a gazillion freshman - 6 of 10 OL are freshman! Only two defensive players of 22 D players are seniors. The problem is now we are injured too. Lost THREE starting linebackers. OL. And a starting DL. Losing al the LBs like that is hard in FBS. It can be decimating in FCS.

Not poor mouthing. Just facts. We are building for future and honestly I am excited. Wofford saw us at their place w all these new guys in new roles and new plays we are still learning. By next year and the next we will be back. But we need to develop depth.

I I would love a win at Colgate. But I'll take improvement- having only one penalty at NC State and hitting every FG was a good start. Had some good offense at times. I think over 300 yards vs SEVERAL NFL players? Our D is a totally new scheme and now w the injury bug ... Both Woff and Elon scored late in the game on us and now we are thinner

Colgate has a bunch of injuries and two young quarterbacks who have yet to get the passing game going.

CID1990
September 18th, 2017, 11:10 PM

A couple years from now Jordan Black will be seasoned vet, our 300+ lb senior linemen will be juniors, the name Webb will be on the mouths of everybody in the SoCon

we just reloaded this year

If you shut Citdog up in a couple years that'll be impressive...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaladinFan
September 19th, 2017, 05:03 AM
Colgate has a bunch of injuries and two young quarterbacks who have yet to get the passing game going.

Elon had two young QBs that did a lot of good work against our secondary.

The Pud
September 19th, 2017, 06:34 AM
Elon had two young QBs that did a lot of good work against our secondary.

Freshman QB??

OL FU
September 19th, 2017, 08:44 AM
A couple years from now Jordan Black will be seasoned vet, our 300+ lb senior linemen will be juniors, the name Webb will be on the mouths of everybody in the SoCon

we just reloaded this year

If you shut Citdog up in a couple years that'll be impressive...

Shutting citdog up was slightly hyperbolic, but if it happened I would win the popularity awardxnodx

PaladinFan
September 19th, 2017, 08:55 AM
Freshman QB??

I believe Elon rotated two true freshmen QBs. One is more of a passer, one more of runner.

gofurman
September 19th, 2017, 09:50 PM
I believe Elon rotated two true freshmen QBs. One is more of a passer, one more of runner.

Not that it matters a ton.. But Elon had one Freshman QB basically play us. The other guy didn't play much. The one they stuck with went 26/35 for 300 yards ..one TD and one pick. I.E., he KILLED us. A true freshman who sucked the prior week. LOL. We have a habit of making all opposing QBs look like frickin Joe Montana. We really do

colgate QB is probably drooling at the thought of playing us

gofurman
September 19th, 2017, 10:21 PM

Gate, What injuries do you have exactly? What positions did they play? Furman is missing three starting linebackers !

Thanks

citdog
September 19th, 2017, 11:35 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QByYxG53e4

xnodx

Colgate Raider Redux
September 20th, 2017, 04:11 PM
Gate, What injuries do you have exactly? What positions did they play? Furman is missing three starting linebackers !

Thanks

PLAYERS RETURNING:
Two D players are back for Furman: A starting LB and “FCS player of the week” from Cal Poly game at SS

PLAYERS STILL OUT FOR FURMAN
1. Pre-season All League CB.
2. #2 Strong safety

RWO GAME CHANGING PLAYERS UT FOR FURMAN
1. James Holland: The lead running back of a three player-pronged running attack. Injured in Buffalo game.
2. Pat Afriye: Pre-season All American DE has been out with an upper ankle injury incurred at the end of the Cal Poly game.

MISC.
Guys out since start of season are starting nickel at least (maybe SS) and starting OLB.

This is a TRANSITIONAL YEAR; Hard to assess how the fill-ins will do.
We have a frosh quarterback.
The defense is also young (with the injuries there wasn't a senior starter on D at Buffalo)The good news is that most of these guys should be back in a few weeks--and getting young guys experience will help

gofurman
September 20th, 2017, 05:40 PM
Similar to FU. Most injuries on D. Ours are 3 starting LBs And a DT

catamount man
September 20th, 2017, 05:48 PM
1) Wofford
2) The Citadel
3) Mercer
4-T) WCU/SAMFORD or SAMFORD/WCU (this week's game is HUGE)
6) ETSU
7) Chattanooga
8) Furman
9) VMI

Looking to be a good 2017 for everyone except VMI. No knock on the roos, but Robert Morris?

GO CATS!!!

longtimemocfan
September 20th, 2017, 07:17 PM

Hope your right, paper said 6 games for Warren.

FCSfan
September 21st, 2017, 09:08 AM
1 - Citadel/Wofford

2 - Mercer/WCU/Samford/UTC

3 - Furman/ETSU

4 - VMI

The Pud
September 21st, 2017, 09:13 AM
I think Wofford is tops at this point, closely followed by Citadel.

Spider from the North
September 21st, 2017, 10:39 AM
Furman Colgate
Wofford Gard-Webb
UTC VMI
Mercer ETSU
Samford WCU

Toby
September 21st, 2017, 02:07 PM
Current Massey FCS Composite (23 rankings) with national rank
1. Wofford - 11
2. Citadel - 15
3. Samford- 26
4. Mercer - 34
5. UTC - 45
6. WCU - 54
7. Furman - 63
8. ETSU - 83
9. VMI - 105

Other than Wofford and Citadel, the ranking are spread out.

gofurman
September 21st, 2017, 07:44 PM
1) Wofford
2) The Citadel
3) Mercer
4-T) WCU/SAMFORD or SAMFORD/WCU (this week's game is HUGE)
6) ETSU
7) Chattanooga
8) Furman
9) VMI

Looking to be a good 2017 for everyone except VMI. No knock on the roos, but Robert Morris?

GO CATS!!!

I am very objective about my Paladins. And if you think we are worse than ETSU I think you are crazy , :) Check back in two weeks. We play them next week.

ETSUfan1
September 21st, 2017, 10:07 PM
I am very objective about my Paladins. And if you think we are worse than ETSU I think you are crazy , :) Check back in two weeks. We play them next week.

We will see.

CID1990
September 22nd, 2017, 02:21 AM

ETSU will win big when they find some offensive consistency. It will happen this season. I'm glad we got them behind us early. Given Furman's play so far this season, I would only pick them by 3-4 points over ETSU as it is

Go...gate
September 22nd, 2017, 02:30 AM
PLAYERS RETURNING:
Two D players are back for Furman: A starting LB and “FCS player of the week” from Cal Poly game at SS

PLAYERS STILL OUT FOR FURMAN
1. Pre-season All League CB.
2. #2 Strong safety

RWO GAME CHANGING PLAYERS UT FOR FURMAN
1. James Holland: The lead running back of a three player-pronged running attack. Injured in Buffalo game.
2. Pat Afriye: Pre-season All American DE has been out with an upper ankle injury incurred at the end of the Cal Poly game.

MISC.
Guys out since start of season are starting nickel at least (maybe SS) and starting OLB.

This is a TRANSITIONAL YEAR; Hard to assess how the fill-ins will do.
We have a frosh quarterback.
The defense is also young (with the injuries there wasn't a senior starter on D at Buffalo)The good news is that most of these guys should be back in a few weeks--and getting young guys experience will help

Thanks, Raider Redux. I have been under water with work and had not had a chance to respond.

gofurman, my apologies.

Go...gate
September 22nd, 2017, 02:33 AM
Going to be a very interesting game in Hamilton, NY.

Weather forecast is good - sunny, high of 80, humidity 66%.

The Pud
September 22nd, 2017, 05:24 AM
Going to be a very interesting game in Hamilton, NY.

Weather forecast is good - sunny, high of 80, humidity 66%.

Perfect weather for football!

FUBeAR
September 22nd, 2017, 05:20 PM
* Furman at Colgate - 1:00 PM - Paladins go up North to get Coach Hendrix his 1st Head Coaching win 28-24
* Chattanooga at VMI - 1:30 PM - Nothing against the Mocs, but I would LOOOOVVVVEEEE to see VMI win this game. They won't. Snakes poison HaplessRoos 42-3
* Gardner-Webb at Wofford - 1:30 PM - The Runnin' Bulldogs feasted on WCU's still-suspect Defense. They'll find these doggies are a bit tougher than the the kitties. AnkleSnappers EAT 42-7
* Mercer at East Tennessee State - 3:30 PM - MountainPirates were game against the Bellhops last week & they gave a depleted Bears Team a game last year after walking the plank in a 52-0 loss in 2015. This year, the Bears are coming in FULL STRENGTH after taking a highly-ranked SEC Team down to under 5 minutes to play before the outcome was determined...and ETSU has been walloped by the Dukes and fell apart in the 2nd half vs. the BoysOfLuggage...and now have 2 key players suspended for this game...so I see the Bears taking a few liberties with the picnic baskets in ETSU's new stadium. Bears win 35-10
* Samford at Western Carolina - 3:30 PM - I love exceptional OL play and hard-nosed Defense. So, I'm elated that this game is on at the same time as the Mercer game, since neither one of those will be on display in TheWhee. Also, that means, unlike a car accident/train wreck/tidal wave/etc., I won't be watching it even though I imagine, like with those events, it will be almost impossible to avert your eyes. I jokingly projected this score as 223-222 on another site, but after watching Samantha at UGA in person last week & all of the WCU/G-W game on replay, I think I'm going to stick with that score. I wonder what the HomewoodHounds Defensive Players did with those autographs I saw them asking Nick Chubb for. I was actually surprised when they got close enough to him to ask. And, y'all can tell me that G-W and Davidson are GREAT Offenses, but I'm going to throw a flag on that BS. WCU's Defense only looks a bit more organized than last year; NOT better. I see many records being broken in this game and the last Team with the ball will undoubtedly be the winner. OK...I think Samantha just has some kind of 'mojo' on the Kitties. PUPS win...I'll dial it back I guess 56-49 (but take the over!)
* Bellhops working double shifts this weekend. Tips are down, but some of the Houskeeping personnel are having a party in the laundry. Maids win 69-0.

Power Ranking
1) Woffy - by a LittleDog's whisker
2) Mercer - D is real deal. Need to get O going some though
3) CIT - Schedule is very favorable to this crew. Weather...not so much.
4) Chatt - Not as bad as others are saying, but I think this Team is SERIOUSLY "AT-RISK" - If they struggle at VMI, I predict Player(s) vs. Coach(es) altercations on the sidelines
5) FU - Doing good things with a lot of really young players. Like what I see. Would like a WIN more...as I'm sure Coach Hendrix would as well
6) Samantha - I hate everything I see about the way this Team plays football. Just hate it. They may win some games with that ish...but I'll still HATE it
7) WCU - May be better because of their explosive offense. Gonna have to do more to show that their D is improved...Did NOT see that vs. Davidson or G-W
8) ETSU - I like what they are doing in JC. They may steal a few (more) SoCon games before this year is through. Just not this week, hopefully.
9) VMI - I think I heard them proposing "Peace with Honor" to Chatt this week? I'm feeling sorry for the Roos. Please, at least scare Chatt. I want to see those Coach/Player fights on Twitter!

woffordgrad94
September 22nd, 2017, 06:01 PM
* Furman at Colgate - 1:00 PM - Paladins go up North to get Coach Hendrix his 1st Head Coaching win 28-24
* Chattanooga at VMI - 1:30 PM - Nothing against the Mocs, but I would LOOOOVVVVEEEE to see VMI win this game. They won't. Snakes poison HaplessRoos 42-3
* Gardner-Webb at Wofford - 1:30 PM - The Runnin' Bulldogs feasted on WCU's still-suspect Defense. They'll find these doggies are a bit tougher than the the kitties. AnkleSnappers EAT 42-7
* Mercer at East Tennessee State - 3:30 PM - MountainPirates were game against the Bellhops last week & they gave a depleted Bears Team a game last year after walking the plank in a 52-0 loss in 2015. This year, the Bears are coming in FULL STRENGTH after taking a highly-ranked SEC Team down to under 5 minutes to play before the outcome was determined...and ETSU has been walloped by the Dukes and fell apart in the 2nd half vs. the BoysOfLuggage...and now have 2 key players suspended for this game...so I see the Bears taking a few liberties with the picnic baskets in ETSU's new stadium. Bears win 35-10
* Samford at Western Carolina - 3:30 PM - I love exceptional OL play and hard-nosed Defense. So, I'm elated that this game is on at the same time as the Mercer game, since neither one of those will be on display in TheWhee. Also, that means, unlike a car accident/train wreck/tidal wave/etc., I won't be watching it even though I imagine, like with those events, it will be almost impossible to avert your eyes. I jokingly projected this score as 223-222 on another site, but after watching Samantha at UGA in person last week & all of the WCU/G-W game on replay, I think I'm going to stick with that score. I wonder what the HomewoodHounds Defensive Players did with those autographs I saw them asking Nick Chubb for. I was actually surprised when they got close enough to him to ask. And, y'all can tell me that G-W and Davidson are GREAT Offenses, but I'm going to throw a flag on that BS. WCU's Defense only looks a bit more organized than last year; NOT better. I see many records being broken in this game and the last Team with the ball will undoubtedly be the winner. OK...I think Samantha just has some kind of 'mojo' on the Kitties. PUPS win...I'll dial it back I guess 56-49 (but take the over!)
* Bellhops working double shifts this weekend. Tips are down, but some of the Houskeeping personnel are having a party in the laundry. Maids win 69-0.

Power Ranking
1) Woffy - by a LittleDog's whisker
2) Mercer - D is real deal. Need to get O going some though
3) CIT - Schedule is very favorable to this crew. Weather...not so much.
4) Chatt - Not as bad as others are saying, but I think this Team is SERIOUSLY "AT-RISK" - If they struggle at VMI, I predict Player(s) vs. Coach(es) altercations on the sidelines
5) FU - Doing good things with a lot of really young players. Like what I see. Would like a WIN more...as I'm sure Coach Hendrix would as well
6) Samantha - I hate everything I see about the way this Team plays football. Just hate it. They may win some games with that ish...but I'll still HATE it
7) WCU - May be better because of their explosive offense. Gonna have to do more to show that their D is improved...Did NOT see that vs. Davidson or G-W
8) ETSU - I like what they are doing in JC. They may steal a few (more) SoCon games before this year is through. Just not this week, hopefully.
9) VMI - I think I heard them proposing "Peace with Honor" to Chatt this week? I'm feeling sorry for the Roos. Please, at least scare Chatt. I want to see those Coach/Player fights on Twitter!
Very entertaining read.

DoWe
September 22nd, 2017, 11:57 PM
This week's winners in SoCon action:

WCU
Colgate
UTC
Wofford
Mercer

My two misses so far this season are Furman/Elon & WC/GW. Western's getting some love this week. The young/new Furman squad obviously needs a win, but I don't see it coming this weekend. No comment needed on the other games.

longtimemocfan
September 23rd, 2017, 11:52 AM
The Citadel /!Wofford - tie.
Samford
Mercer
WCU
Furman
ETSU
Chattanooga
VMI

Colgate-20 Furman-17
Samford-35 WCU-31
Mercer-21 ETSU-17
Wofford-24 GWU-10
Chattanooga-17 VMI-3 We could be this bad. Until something is solved with the poor offensive line play it's going to be uphill all season. Regardless, their is no dissension among coaches and players that some are suggesting.

ElCid
September 23rd, 2017, 12:16 PM
Colgate and Furman Swapped punts to open. Wish I had a video.

Furman gets a fumble and Blazejowski goes deep for 61 yard pass TD.

Furman up 7-0

BearDownMU
September 23rd, 2017, 12:33 PM
Colgate and Furman Swapped punts to open. Wish I had a video.

Furman gets a fumble and Blazejowski goes deep for 61 yard pass TD.

Furman up 7-0

You don't have video?

https://watchstadium.com/live/furman-at-colgate/

ElCid
September 23rd, 2017, 12:34 PM
You don't have video?

https://watchstadium.com/live/furman-at-colgate/

Very cool. It would not load when I tried it, but your link worked.

Thanks!

longtimemocfan
September 23rd, 2017, 12:48 PM
Furman up 21-0 now. Good for them. Colgate nearly beat Richmond. Good showing by the Paladins.

citdog
September 23rd, 2017, 12:50 PM
Who does one root for when it's furman vs a bunch of damn yankees?

ElCid
September 23rd, 2017, 12:52 PM
Wow, Colgate goes for it on a 4-1 at their 34 and gets stuffed. Furman driving again.

ElCid
September 23rd, 2017, 12:55 PM
I seem to be having all sorts of video problems today. Is anyone else having issues with the UTC/VMI game?

gofurman
September 23rd, 2017, 12:55 PM
Wow, Colgate goes for it on a 4-1 at their 34 and gets stuffed. Furman driving again.

yeah, they are Yankees... but you can see us improving. And I see that NC State team we put 300+ yards of offense on is doing ok...

A year or two we will be scary.. maybe the time we play Citadel? Still young then though. For now lets have the SoCon beat some northern guys

citdog
September 23rd, 2017, 12:58 PM
I am hoping for a Second Manassas type ass whipping for our patsy league friends. I hate it for Go Gate though he is a good fella...

Mocs123
September 23rd, 2017, 01:04 PM
UTC letting out some frustration on VMI and up 21-0 in the 1st. qtr

OL FU
September 23rd, 2017, 01:18 PM
Please cheer for the Yankees

Mocs123
September 23rd, 2017, 01:20 PM
Colgate would be a good OOC win for Furman and the SoCon

citdog
September 23rd, 2017, 01:22 PM
Please cheer for the Yankees

"My hypocrisy only goes so far."

JSUSoutherner
September 23rd, 2017, 01:24 PM
I seem to be having all sorts of video problems today. Is anyone else having issues with the UTC/VMI game?
ESPN3 says it's about to begin. It's the second quarter

gofurman
September 23rd, 2017, 01:28 PM
Colgate would be a good OOC win for Furman and the SoCon

I think it just may happen. 38-7 or something near halftime. That's an a** whooping kind of OOC performance. And for a team some think is going to finish 7 or 8 in SoCon.

ElCid
September 23rd, 2017, 01:28 PM
ESPN3 says it's about to begin. It's the second quarter

OK, it not just me. Also I had the Furman game up and then it quit. Can't get it back. Just spins. Took me forever to get the Wofford game back, but at least I have that game.

JSUSoutherner
September 23rd, 2017, 01:29 PM
OK, it not just me. Also I had the Furman game up and then it quit. Can't get it back. Just spins. Took me forever to get the Wofford game back, but at least I have that game.
WatchESPN is a joke.

citdog
September 23rd, 2017, 01:31 PM
WatchESPN is a joke.

ESPN is too busy harboring racists and nuzzling kaperdouche's schmeckle to make sure that their **** actually WORKS.

ElCid
September 23rd, 2017, 01:32 PM
WatchESPN is a joke.

ESPN, in general, is a joke.

longtimemocfan
September 23rd, 2017, 01:52 PM
Mocs taking no prisoners today 42-0 2nd qtr.

Mocs123
September 23rd, 2017, 01:55 PM
I think it just may happen. 38-7 or something near halftime. That's an a** whooping kind of OOC performance. And for a team some think is going to finish 7 or 8 in SoCon.

Furman will not finish 8th. Furman is probably going to be 5-7 team this year, but you never know as we have not looked great on offense, and Samford's defense looks vulnerable .

ElCid
September 23rd, 2017, 01:58 PM
Furman will not finish 8th. Furman is probably going to be 5-7 team this year, but you never know as we have not looked great on offense, and Samford's defense looks venerable.

I would never venerate Samford's defense.

SU DOG
September 23rd, 2017, 01:58 PM
Furman will not finish 8th. Furman is probably going to be 5-7 team this year, but you never know as we have not looked great on offense, and Samford's defense looks venerable.

Thanks - best compliment yet for our defense.

Mocs123
September 23rd, 2017, 02:02 PM
*fixed

:)

ElCid
September 23rd, 2017, 02:17 PM
Wofford looked good on defense in the first half. Held G-W to 65 1st half yards. But a scoop and score by G-W has kept it close. Wofford's offense seems to be passing a bit more.

Mocs123
September 23rd, 2017, 02:20 PM
We (The SoCon) need Wofford to pull this one out.

PaladinFan
September 23rd, 2017, 02:21 PM
Wofford looked good on defense in the first half. Held G-W to 65 1st half yards. But a scoop and score by G-W has kept it close. Wofford's offense seems to be passing a bit more.

From our game with them, Goodson is as good a throwing QB has Wofford has had in years.

PaladinFan
September 23rd, 2017, 02:22 PM
Furman will not finish 8th. Furman is probably going to be 5-7 team this year, but you never know as we have not looked great on offense, and Samford's defense looks vulnerable .

Still a long way to go, but going on the road and beating a good FCS program like a drum is a nice way to get warmed up for the bulk of the SoCon season.

Mocs123
September 23rd, 2017, 02:27 PM
Still a long way to go, but going on the road and beating a good FCS program like a drum is a nice way to get warmed up for the bulk of the SoCon season.

I think Furman is heading in the right direction. How much they improve in the W-L department this year is yet to be seen, but in a couple of years they will be contenders again. I certainly hope they don't get better than Chattanooga, but I will say that a good Furman is good for the SoCon.

PaladinFan
September 23rd, 2017, 02:45 PM
I think Furman is heading in the right direction. How much they improve in the W-L department this year is yet to be seen, but in a couple of years they will be contenders again. I certainly hope they don't get better than Chattanooga, but I will say that a good Furman is good for the SoCon.

They are slowly improving. Our offense gets better every week and has as much quick-strike capability as any Furman team I've seen in a long time.

Defensively, we should be a work in progress all year, but there's talent coming. Today's two-deep against Colgate has zero seniors on defense (I think)

citdog
September 23rd, 2017, 02:48 PM
furman fans slapping each other on the back for a victory over a patsy league team

kind of SAD

PaladinFan
September 23rd, 2017, 02:57 PM
furman fans slapping each other on the back for a victory over a patsy league team

kind of SAD

We haven't had a lot of wins the last few years.

Colgate lost by 3 to a top 10 Ricmond team. They beat top 25 Cal Poly on the road.

I may be overlooking one, but this is probably the most impressive OOC win for a SoCon school this season.

Mocs123
September 23rd, 2017, 03:03 PM
Agree, I good win for the SoCon.

PaladinFan
September 23rd, 2017, 03:03 PM
Tyrie Adams is 5-5 for 78 yards with 6 minutes left in the 1st quarter. Oh boy.

PaladinFan
September 23rd, 2017, 03:05 PM
Furman 45 - Colgate 14 final

Mocs123
September 23rd, 2017, 03:06 PM
Adams is a poor man's Armanti Edwards.

WCU also has Newsome who is a beast.

PaladinFan
September 23rd, 2017, 03:11 PM
Probably a good candidate for SoCon DPOTW is Furman's MLB Reynard Ellis - 16 tackles, 8 solo, 1.5 TFL, 1 sack

Ellis was arguably the most impressive member of Furman's 2017 class. I expect we'll be hearing his name for a while.

ElCid
September 23rd, 2017, 03:12 PM
Wofford in serious danger of upset loss. G-W coming alive. 27-24 Wofford late in 4th.

ETSUfan1
September 23rd, 2017, 03:19 PM
ETSU 10
Mercer 0
10:40 2Q

Mocs123
September 23rd, 2017, 03:23 PM
Didn't see that from ETSU on the road.

The Bucs getting better every week.

ETSUfan1
September 23rd, 2017, 03:24 PM
Bucs at home btw

Mocs123
September 23rd, 2017, 03:25 PM
Chattanooga - 63
VMI - 7

Final

JSUSoutherner
September 23rd, 2017, 03:36 PM
WCU got themselves one heck of a punter.

Thatll come in handy as soon as they face a D than can stop the run.

ElCid
September 23rd, 2017, 03:36 PM
Wofford escapes late fumble and missed FG by G-W to win 27-24.

Wofford had less rushing yards than usual, but a lot more passing yards than usual.

kdinva
September 23rd, 2017, 03:38 PM

didn't see this result.......not with Colgate losing to UR by just 3.

kdinva
September 23rd, 2017, 03:40 PM
Chattanooga - 63
VMI - 7

Final
VMI officially a train wreck......Coach Wach still thinks VMI can run the ball with 4 wide outs, no lead blocker, with seven in the box....

VMI helped UTC today with poor execution. 5 of UTC's TD drives were 45 yards or less, a fumble return for a TD.....

ETSUfan1
September 23rd, 2017, 03:48 PM
Mercer 6
ETSU 10
Half

PaladinFan
September 23rd, 2017, 03:51 PM
Wofford escapes late fumble and missed FG by G-W to win 27-24.

Wofford had less rushing yards than usual, but a lot more passing yards than usual.

They certainly haven't looked strong, but Wofford doesn't exactly blow teams out as a general rule. 3-0 is still 3-0.

- - - Updated - - -

over 470 yards of combined offense for WCU and Samford with 6 minutes left in first half.

They'll probably easily eclipse 1,000 total yards.

Smitty
September 23rd, 2017, 03:54 PM
They certainly haven't looked strong, but Wofford doesn't exactly blow teams out as a general rule. 3-0 is still 3-0.

- - - Updated - - -

over 470 yards of combined offense for WCU and Samford with 6 minutes left in first half.

They'll probably easily eclipse 1,000 total yards.

Surprisingly it is still a low score for that much offense

BearDownMU
September 23rd, 2017, 04:08 PM
ETSU 10 - 7 Mercer at the half.

10-6. We are having a tough go on offense right now

PaladinFan
September 23rd, 2017, 04:10 PM
Tyrie Adams just took a nasty shot running into to the endzone

PaladinFan
September 23rd, 2017, 04:15 PM
Does Mercer rotate helmet colors with their jersey combos?

BearDownMU
September 23rd, 2017, 04:29 PM
Does Mercer rotate helmet colors with their jersey combos?

Yes. It's not fixed. They decide the combos the week before the game. Two different color helmets, 4 jerseys, 3 pants.

Mocs123
September 23rd, 2017, 04:31 PM
VMI officially a train wreck......Coach Wach still thinks VMI can run the ball with 4 wide outs, no lead blocker, with seven in the box....

VMI helped UTC today with poor execution. 5 of UTC's TD drives were 45 yards or less, a fumble return for a TD.....

VMI had improved quite a bit the last couple of years, but didn't look good today.

BearDownMU
September 23rd, 2017, 04:33 PM
Targeting? Seriously? Welp, there goes our best defender. Get replay in your building ETSU. Jesus.

ElCid
September 23rd, 2017, 04:35 PM
Targeting? Seriously? Welp, there goes our best defender. Get replay in your building ETSU. Jesus.

That a bit much from what I saw. But I only saw it twice in real time. Wish they had a better job replaying it.

BearDownMU
September 23rd, 2017, 04:37 PM
That a bit much from what I saw. But I only saw it twice in real time. Wish they had a better job replaying it.

The hit on our guy when he slid that was a personal foul was worse, and I don't think that was targeting either.

Smitty
September 23rd, 2017, 04:42 PM
WCU game is about to get out of hand as the defense is allowing Samford pass at any point. It seems if most of the receivers are wide open on each play...

longtimemocfan
September 23rd, 2017, 05:07 PM

The defense pretty much set the table for the offense with the turnovers and short fields it created. We're not as good as the score suggests and VMI isn't as bad.

ElCid
September 23rd, 2017, 05:22 PM
ESTU making it interesting against Mercer. Now 20 all. Late 4th.

ETSUfan1
September 23rd, 2017, 05:23 PM
Mercer 20
ETSU 20

4:41 4Q

citdog
September 23rd, 2017, 05:27 PM
ETSU is better. I tried to tell y'all that last week

ETSUfan1
September 23rd, 2017, 05:35 PM
Nah, were crap and we want everyone to think that.

ElCid
September 23rd, 2017, 05:41 PM
Wow, hard fought battle so far. Newsome appears out as well.

WCU 31
Samford 27

Looks like a WX delay. Some pop up Tstorm moving in to Cullowhee on the radar.

ElCid
September 23rd, 2017, 05:43 PM
Mercer hurting. No energy right now. Looks like they will settle for 3 in OT. ETSU is going to win this.

ETSU get a TD. Game. Unbelievable win by ETSU.

BearDownMU
September 23rd, 2017, 05:46 PM
Mercer hurting. No energy right now. Looks like they will settle for 3 in OT. ETSU is going to win this.

ETSU get a TD. Game. Unbelievable win by ETSU.

That stings. Well done Bucs.

ETSUfan1
September 23rd, 2017, 05:46 PM
HELL YES!

ETSUfan1
September 23rd, 2017, 05:47 PM
Can't wait to be 30 point dogs to Furman, cause we are awful.

OpTimeGuy
September 23rd, 2017, 05:47 PM
I really didn't think we would get this game....I think it is safe to say we won't sneak up on anyone for the remainder of the year.

chattownmocs
September 23rd, 2017, 05:54 PM
The Citadel and Wofford are taking care of their business right now, but there isn't a great team in the socon. The title is completely up for grabs for anyone not named VMI and now probably Mercer.

Smitty
September 23rd, 2017, 05:54 PM
Wow, hard fought battle so far. Newsome appears out as well.

WCU 31
Samford 27

Looks like a WX delay. Some pop up Tstorm moving in to Cullowhee on the radar.

Newsome scored the last touchdown so I'm not sure what his original injury was.

longtimemocfan
September 23rd, 2017, 05:56 PM
Congrats to ETSU winning 26-23 in ot.

PaladinFan
September 23rd, 2017, 06:01 PM
The Citadel and Wofford are taking care of their business right now, but there isn't a great team in the socon. The title is completely up for grabs for anyone not named VMI and now probably Mercer.

The way I've seen it, Mercer has to win out to make the post season (assuming they don't beat Alabama).

BearDownMU
September 23rd, 2017, 06:08 PM
I really didn't think we would get this game....I think it is safe to say we won't sneak up on anyone for the remainder of the year.

I don't think you snuck up on anyone today. lol

PaladinFan
September 23rd, 2017, 06:16 PM

Certainly not.

The game next week in Greenville should be a good one.

PaladinFan
September 23rd, 2017, 06:22 PM
CAA action, but Elon is leading #6 Richmond by two scores on the road late in the 2Q. That would be their second win over a ranked opponent in the last two weeks.

Truthfully, if Elon beats Richmond, and Furman just beat a Colgate team by 31 who lost to Richmond by 3, then it may be time to rethink Richmond.

Reign of Terrier
September 23rd, 2017, 06:26 PM
Before anyone gives Wofford too much of a bad time, anyone predicting us scoring more than 34 or 35 at any point is overselling us. That's not the game we play or want to play. This sounds like I'm not giving GWU enough credit, but the tension of the final minute or two and the final score didn't really do proper justice to how much control Wofford had. Turnovers kept this game close as did absolutely stupid playcalling with about 10 minutes left. We actually have a pass game now and that's a game changer.

Having said that, give GW credit, they played well and have a good QB. They always play Socon option teams tough (only lost by a TD last year). I'm not concerned for Wofford yet. Our defense had a typical outting, holding GW to 17, 270ish yards and got a stop when we needed it.

The socon is gonna be competitive this year. Every game, sans VMI games, have been close. Wofford's playing like a bubble team, but we need to start playing championship caliber. We're close and I'm not dissatisfied with this outting, but we have a ways to go.

PaladinFan
September 23rd, 2017, 06:29 PM
Before anyone gives Wofford too much of a bad time, anyone predicting us scoring more than 34 or 35 at any point is overselling us. That's not the game we play or want to play. This sounds like I'm not giving GWU enough credit, but the tension of the final minute or two and the final score didn't really do proper justice to how much control Wofford had. Turnovers kept this game close as did absolutely stupid playcalling with about 10 minutes left. We actually have a pass game now and that's a game changer.

Having said that, give GW credit, they played well and have a good QB. They always play Socon option teams tough (only lost by a TD last year). I'm not concerned for Wofford yet. Our defense had a typical outting, holding GW to 17, 270ish yards and got a stop when we needed it.

The socon is gonna be competitive this year. Every game, sans VMI games, have been close. Wofford's playing like a bubble team, but we need to start playing championship caliber. We're close and I'm not dissatisfied with this outting, but we have a ways to go.

Wofford isn't well known for blowing teams off the field. They win methodical and somewhat unspectacular football games.

That said, I don't think they've looked particularly like the presumptive conference favorite.

Smitty
September 23rd, 2017, 06:30 PM
Western game has resumed and it is a close one...

OL FU
September 23rd, 2017, 06:41 PM
CAA action, but Elon is leading #6 Richmond by two scores on the road late in the 2Q. That would be their second win over a ranked opponent in the last two weeks.

Truthfully, if Elon beats Richmond, and Furman just beat a Colgate team by 31 who lost to Richmond by 3, then it may be time to rethink Richmond.

And Elon

Smitty
September 23rd, 2017, 06:45 PM
Samford 34
WCU 38

Final

Oh boy, WCU stopped the ball 3 times as Samford had the ball on the 2 yard line.....

Reign of Terrier
September 23rd, 2017, 06:49 PM
western deserves a ranking

Smitty
September 23rd, 2017, 06:52 PM
western deserves a ranking

I would say it may happen after next week if we pull off a win. Although we haven't beaten UTC in what feels like decades...

PaladinFan
September 23rd, 2017, 06:58 PM
By my count, WCU and Samford accounted for 1,222 yards of offense and 72 points.

Milktruck74
September 23rd, 2017, 06:59 PM
I've got a vote for Western this week.

Smitty
September 23rd, 2017, 07:00 PM
By my count, WCU and Samford accounted for 1,222 yards of offense and 72 points.

And only 1 turnover...

Even the ESPN predictor had a hard time at the end of the game

https://i.imgur.com/VTOmvpW.png

PaladinFan
September 23rd, 2017, 07:03 PM
And oddly enough, the game came down to a defensive stand.

GreenGlasses
September 23rd, 2017, 07:05 PM
Come next year if Chatty doesn't fall of the face of the earth then the SoCon will be a blood bath for the most part. ETSU starting to put things together, Furman another year in Hendrix system and Western Carolina with Mark Speir putting it together in his 6th year.

I don't believe anyone knew how big of a rebuild that WCU was, not even Speir himself but he has done a good job so far. If WCU isn't ranked this week then they should be getting significant votes.

Come next year I think everyone except VMI will be in great shape to make the SoCon one of the stronger football conferences again.

Mocs123
September 23rd, 2017, 07:36 PM
Congrats to ETSU and Mercer on wins today. I didn't see either of those coming. Western's offense is as good as just about anyone in the country. Mercer isn't a bad team, they are just having some growing pains losing some good players last year (Thier QB John Ross? was under-rated).

And ETSU - What do I say - I didn't see them getting competitive this quickly. They were not very good a couple of years ago.

Reign of Terrier
September 23rd, 2017, 07:51 PM
I would imagine Bobby Lamb's seat is quite warm right now

Mocs123
September 23rd, 2017, 07:55 PM

Really? Though they haven't been able to get to the top of the SoCon, they have been a solid team. I think Lamb has done a good job building the program. I think he gets a few more years before the natives get restless.

Reign of Terrier
September 23rd, 2017, 07:58 PM
He can't win the close ones. He's probably lost a dozen games by 10 points or less

The Pud
September 23rd, 2017, 07:59 PM
I've got a vote for Western this week.

me too!

Mocs123
September 23rd, 2017, 08:04 PM
He can't win the close ones. He's probably lost a dozen games by 10 points or less

That was a complaint against Huesman for a long time, but he finally got over the hump and had 3 really good years before he bolted to Richmond.

Reign of Terrier
September 23rd, 2017, 08:07 PM
I think it's apples and oranges...and Chatt didn't lose as many close games.

Mocs123
September 23rd, 2017, 08:11 PM
We lost a lot of close games (even late in Huesman's tenure). We lost 3 games one year ~2011? by 1 point each.

When Arth was hired I went back and looked at Heusman's record and we hadnt lost a game by more than one possession in something like 4 years. Our worst lost in a long time was losing by 8 to Wofford last season.

The one positive was we didn't get blown out, other than a couple of games early in the Huesman years. He made us almost instantly competitive, but did have problems getting over the "hump".

I think, at least in our case, we had been so bad for so long, that it took time to get the culture changed.

BearDownMU
September 23rd, 2017, 08:15 PM

This is our first year fully scholarshipped. Today was no fun, but I think we're still a ways away from talking about coaching changes.

chattownmocs
September 23rd, 2017, 08:19 PM
I think it's apples and oranges...and Chatt didn't lose as many close games.

You are dead wrong on that one.

Reign of Terrier
September 23rd, 2017, 08:26 PM
it's also apples and oranges in that Chattanooga was the embodiment of football abomination before Huesman. The best analogy is what Cutcliffe did at Duke. Meanwhile, Mercer has jumped started their program and don't have such a negative point of reference

tenNesseeCat
September 23rd, 2017, 08:26 PM
Tyrie is great but we missed out on at least 10 points in that game do to poor decesions. He's great, but he should have thrown that int in the stands. He should have gone down before the fumble. We still had time and 2 time outs. I love his fight and confidence in his WR, but I felt both were kinda unforced errors. Don't get me wrong, it was a GREAT win, but I have twice as many gray hairs just from that last SU possesion. GO CATS!!!!!!!

Mocs123
September 23rd, 2017, 08:34 PM
it's also apples and oranges in that Chattanooga was the embodiment of football abomination before Huesman. The best analogy is what Cutcliffe did at Duke. Meanwhile, Mercer has jumped started their program and don't have such a negative point of reference

It's hard to argue that we weren't one of the worst FCS programs for the ~25 years prior to Huesman. I think the hardest part was making the players, students, faculty, alumni, and city, that Chattanooga could win. That took time.

I guess Mercer had lots of success their first couple of years with a program (since the 40's).

CID1990
September 23rd, 2017, 08:58 PM

Dude... we go through this ALL the time..

Wofford and The Citadel RARELY blow people out

Then the Sunday morning crowd starts in with all the transitive BS about how they only lost to Wofford or El Cid by 1 point

The bottom line is that if we play our best game, the score will not be high because the other team MIGHT possess the ball 5 times in the entire game

Reign of Terrier
September 23rd, 2017, 09:09 PM
In other news, I'll be concerned if we don't whip PC next week. I wasn't disappointed with our performance today...it wasn't that bad if you squint.

Having said that, PC is just terrible. They beat a D2 team tonight with a late score. They've only scored 20 points like 7 times since 2014. 4 or 5 those teams didn't have scholarships and the other two were losses. The D2 team tonight ran for 266 yards and had 2 runners rush for 100 yards +.

If we can't beat PC and beat them handily, we're in trouble.

Mocs123
September 23rd, 2017, 09:13 PM
In other news, I'll be concerned if we don't whip PC next week. I wasn't disappointed with our performance today...it wasn't that bad if you squint.

Having said that, PC is just terrible. They beat a D2 team tonight with a late score. They've only scored 20 points like 7 times since 2014. 4 or 5 those teams didn't have scholarships and the other two were losses. The D2 team tonight ran for 266 yards and had 2 runners rush for 100 yards +.

If we can't beat PC and beat them handily, we're in trouble.

Cumberland isn't D2 they are NAIA xsmhx

They were our lone win in Rodney Allison's last year (we were 1-11).

Reign of Terrier
September 23rd, 2017, 09:15 PM
I'll be fair to Cumberland...they are good for their level. Having said that, there's no excuse for such a close game with such a difference in talent

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 23rd, 2017, 09:38 PM
So Furman's games so far:
1. one-point loss to Wofford
2. loss to NC State team that just beat Florida State
3. Close loss to Elon team that beat Richmond and is 3-1
4. Blows out Colgate

IMO they might be a top-3 SoCon team.

Reign of Terrier
September 23rd, 2017, 09:39 PM
There's too much going on right now in the Socon. Mercer decided they would still be Mercer, Chatt looked like the Chatt of old, Furman is definitely better than their 1-3 record and ETSU has played solid the last 2 weeks

phoenix3
September 23rd, 2017, 09:43 PM
4. Blows out Colgate

HaHaHa, I told ya, see page 3 in this thread.

phoenix3
September 23rd, 2017, 09:53 PM

Actually, it may be time to rethink Furman and, (OMG... NOOOOOO...), Elon.

Mocs123
September 23rd, 2017, 09:54 PM
It's an interesting year for sure. Wofford is winning, but not as convincingly as I would have thought they would.
The Citadel is kind of the same
Samford is the same Hatch Attack you remember - video game passing numbers, but no run game or defense.
WCU has an electric offense, but no defense - so they can beat anyone on any given day - as we saw today.
Chattanooga has looked terrible on offense, then rolled today
Mercer played a great game against Auburn and then gets beat by ETSU
ETSU may not be there yet, but by looking at the Samford game last year and The Citadel and Mercer game this year, that they can play with anyone when they get a few things going their way.
Furman's record isn't good, but they may be alot better than most think.
VMI is the only team that doesn't look like they could contend for the top 4-5 spots in the conference.

Go...gate
September 23rd, 2017, 10:03 PM

Congratulations to Furman. You really beat the hell out of us.

ElCid
September 23rd, 2017, 11:38 PM
It's an interesting year for sure. Wofford is winning, but not as convincingly as I would have thought they would.
The Citadel is kind of the same
Samford is the same Hatch Attack you remember - video game passing numbers, but no run game or defense.
WCU has an electric offense, but no defense - so they can beat anyone on any given day - as we saw today.
Chattanooga has looked terrible on offense, then rolled today
Mercer played a great game against Auburn and then gets beat by ETSU
ETSU may not be there yet, but by looking at the Samford game last year and The Citadel and Mercer game this year, that they can play with anyone when they get a few things going their way.
Furman's record isn't good, but they may be alot better than most think.
VMI is the only team that doesn't look like they could contend for the top 4-5 spots in the conference.

A W is a W. 6 of our 10 wins last year were by one score and that was good enough to win the conference.

And the conference is getting even more competitive by the looks of things. It could be real ugly come tie breaker time.

PaladinFan
September 24th, 2017, 07:01 AM
Looking over the number this morning.

Surprisingly, four games into its new offensive system against some decent/good/very good competition, Furman's offense is keeping pace with Samford's in points per game (28.8 to 31.2) and total offense (374.8 to 404.8).

I really like Furman's offensive look. They throw a lot at you with personnel groupings, running, and passing. They really can strike at the endzone from anywhere on the field.

The Pud
September 24th, 2017, 07:03 AM
4. Blows out Colgate

They should have won that game against Wofford.

Mocs123
September 24th, 2017, 07:16 AM
A W is a W. 6 of our 10 wins last year were by one score and that was good enough to win the conference.

And the conference is getting even more competitive by the looks of things. It could be real ugly come tie breaker time.

I agree that a win is a win, but I am just saying that neither team looks unbeatable.

The Pud
September 24th, 2017, 07:18 AM
I agree that a win is a win, but I am just saying that neither team looks unbeatable.

+2

CID1990
September 24th, 2017, 06:04 PM

So basically no change from last year

We've got something we haven't had since I was in school - will, and the ability to find a way to win. I think we may drop as many as 3 conference games this year, but this team has all the intangibles

PaladinFan
September 24th, 2017, 06:18 PM
So basically no change from last year

We've got something we haven't had since I was in school - will, and the ability to find a way to win. I think we may drop as many as 3 conference games this year, but this team has all the intangibles

I'll buy that when the Citadel beats someone worth talking about.

Right now, their marquee win is over a team that was effectily the SoCon's version of batting practice last season.

citdog
September 24th, 2017, 07:40 PM
I'll buy that when the Citadel beats someone worth talking about.

Right now, their marquee win is over a team that was effectily the SoCon's version of batting practice last season.

And yours is over a patsy league team...

The Pud
September 24th, 2017, 10:00 PM
And yours is over a patsy league team...

as in CAA?