PDA

View Full Version : Dear Chattanooga...

Skyhawk71
September 16th, 2017, 07:48 PM
You are about to be 0-2 in the OVC 😎

Mocs123
September 16th, 2017, 09:06 PM
Congrats to UT Martin. You guys played like you wanted it and we looked straight out of the Rodney Allison era. Can we have Jason Simpson?

Good Luck the rest of the season.

JSUSoutherner
September 16th, 2017, 09:11 PM
xlmaox

kymoc91
September 16th, 2017, 09:13 PM
My hats off to UT Martin. They were the better team. Reminded me of many of the games we won during the Huesman era.

Blazrdog1
September 16th, 2017, 09:22 PM
It's ALL good JSwhoSoutherner...Samford OWNS you in B-ball and Baseball...sooo bring your Hillbilly selves on over to Shades Valley!You caught Chattanooga in a down year.You WON'T catch us down when you show up against us IN the playoffs this YEAR!

JSUSoutherner
September 16th, 2017, 09:42 PM
It's ALL good JSwhoSoutherner...Samford OWNS you in B-ball and Baseball...sooo bring your Hillbilly selves on over to Shades Valley!You caught Chattanooga in a down year.You WON'T catch us down when you show up against us IN the playoffs this YEAR!
Interesting, I didn't know that 1-1 splits in baseball on a down year for us apparently count as "owning".

Also don't remember seeing Samford when I filled out my bracket for March Madness.

We have won how many straight against UTC? Were those all down years too?

Chattown, is that you? :D

BisonFan02
September 16th, 2017, 10:51 PM

You are not good at this.

CID1990
September 17th, 2017, 12:57 AM
This thread should have been titled "Dear Chattownmocs"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bisonoline
September 17th, 2017, 01:21 AM

xthumbsupx :D

Bisonoline
September 17th, 2017, 01:22 AM
You are not good at this.

xnodx

chattownmocs
September 17th, 2017, 05:51 AM
I still believe in Arth long term, but this offense is a dumpster fire. It's as bad as any of the terrible offenses in the SoCon over the last decade. The offensive line is an embarrassment to D1 football.

dgtw
September 17th, 2017, 05:54 AM

When he didn't start a thread saying they could beat the Patriots, I knew it would be a bad year for the Mocs.

chattownmocs
September 17th, 2017, 05:56 AM
The great thing about being 0-2 in the OVC, is that we are in the socon.

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 17th, 2017, 06:18 AM
Just wanted to check in from Richmond and offer some condolences.

Cocky
September 17th, 2017, 09:12 AM
Bigger question, how is Jason Simpson still at UTM? The guys wins with less than anyone.
Has been in Chattanooga before (or I think he has) and UTC passed?

JSUSoutherner
September 17th, 2017, 10:42 AM
Can't argue with that.

Mocs123
September 17th, 2017, 12:03 PM
Bigger question, how is Jason Simpson still at UTM? The guys wins with less than anyone.

I know he was a finalist along with Hugh Freeze when Huesman was hired. I think him being associated with Allison hurt him.....The Mocs needed new blood. If I remember he was interested this past winter but I don't think he was a finalist. Most Chattanooga fans wanted Chadwell as he worked miracles at CSU, but it is hard to argue with what Simpson has done with Martin.

On a side note, it looks like Healy is making some progress at Austin Peay.

Reign of Terrier
September 17th, 2017, 12:48 PM
I don't like giving teams grief, especially when they have potential and haven't played Wofford yet. Having said that, at this point it's not an exaggeration to say that Chatt's performance 3 games in is comparable to the Allison years, especially on offense.

Against FCS competition (admittedly it's only 2 games), they average 41 yards rushing and like 10 points. I know JSU is good and UTM is solid (comparable to any middle tier team in the Socon IMO), but this is still not the uninspired performance you want to see against FCS competition. If it continues to be a trend, UTC could be a 3-8 cluster****. I don't think that's a crazy claim at this point. 6 wins would be a blessing for this team.

Milktruck74
September 17th, 2017, 01:00 PM
This team could easily be 2-6 in the SoCon. But they are also currently undefeated in the SoCon too. The Conference schedule is about as best set up as it can be for a team that has no QB and a Coach trying to feel his growing pains. I think realistically we turn things around, but probably 5-3 in the conference, which would solidly put us in the playoffs at 7-4, but not 5-6. Only way we make the playoffs this year is to run the table in the SoCon....and that is a tough feat even with a dominant team....I'm not giving up, but this team needs to find some heart.

JSUSoutherner
September 17th, 2017, 01:03 PM
Personally I'm going to be rooting for UTC this season. I hope Bennifield can help get the offense on track.

Milktruck74
September 17th, 2017, 01:06 PM
Personally I'm going to be rooting for UTC this season. I hope Bennifield can help get the offense on track.

I honestly don't think he can make that much of a difference. He is a bit quicker, but the OL cant stop anyone.....You cant win when it is 11 on 1.

I think Tiano is a pretty good QB, but it is hard to find an open receiver when your RB has to stay in to try and block the 3 rushers that the OL can not contain on their own.....and the other 4 are trying to get open vs 8. All the while you have about 2.3 seconds to do it.

JSUSoutherner
September 17th, 2017, 01:09 PM
I honestly don't think he can make that much of a difference. He is a bit quicker, but the OL cant stop anyone.....You cant win when it is 11 on 1.
Is it the O line or is the the fact Defense are blitzing Tianos **** off because he's not a threat to burn them in any way, shape, or form?

The offensive line does have some issues, but I don't think they're as bad as some here think.

Reign of Terrier
September 17th, 2017, 01:09 PM
This team could easily be 2-6 in the SoCon. But they are also currently undefeated in the SoCon too. The Conference schedule is about as best set up as it can be for a team that has no QB and a Coach trying to feel his growing pains. I think realistically we turn things around, but probably 5-3 in the conference, which would solidly put us in the playoffs at 7-4, but not 5-6. Only way we make the playoffs this year is to run the table in the SoCon....and that is a tough feat even with a dominant team....I'm not giving up, but this team needs to find some heart.

5-3 in the Socon would translate to a record of 5-6

Milktruck74
September 17th, 2017, 02:34 PM
Is it the O line or is the the fact Defense are blitzing Tianos **** off because he's not a threat to burn them in any way, shape, or form?

The offensive line does have some issues, but I don't think they're as bad as some here think.

Read the second line. UTM never really brought more than 3 all night. That is not a blitz, that is just 3 beating 5 (and 6 when the RB tries to block). They were all over him, and it was mainly just 3. I think they need to go to the old HS pass blocking scheme where everybody turns right and blocks anybody that crosses their face. Hell, it couldn't be much worse.

JSUSoutherner
September 17th, 2017, 02:37 PM
Read the second line. UTM never really brought more than 3 all night. That is not a blitz, that is just 3 beating 5 (and 6 when the RB tries to block). They were all over him, and it was mainly just 3. I think they need to go to the old HS pass blocking scheme where everybody turns right and blocks anybody that crosses their face. Hell, it couldn't be much worse.

I watched pieces of the game last night and saw them bring guys a few times. I was flipping games a lot though. I know we blitzed a whole lot and that gave Tiano fits.

We will just have to see I guess.

Milktruck74
September 17th, 2017, 07:09 PM
5-3 in the Socon would translate to a record of 5-6

Yes, clarification....if we were 7-4 overall and 5-3 in the SoCon we would make the playoffs.....but 5-3 in conference at 5-6 will not. sorry it was confusing...I knew what I meant!!!

Milktruck74
September 17th, 2017, 07:11 PM
I watched pieces of the game last night and saw them bring guys a few times. I was flipping games a lot though. I know we blitzed a whole lot and that gave Tiano fits.

We will just have to see I guess.

He actually did much better with the blitz against the Cocks than he did with 3 rushers vs UTM. I think he made some decent quick reads finding the open guy against JSU...I saw glimmers of hope, but when there were 8 in coverage, he saw NOTHING.

JSUSoutherner
September 17th, 2017, 07:28 PM
He actually did much better with the blitz against the Cocks than he did with 3 rushers vs UTM. I think he made some decent quick reads finding the open guy against JSU...I saw glimmers of hope, but when there were 8 in coverage, he saw NOTHING.
He also sat in the pocket trying to find stuff. When you have 8 in coverage if nothing develops it's time to tuck it and get the hell out of Dodge. Benefield has wheels that Tiano doesn't. Could be a factor.

Milktruck74
September 17th, 2017, 07:30 PM
He also sat in the pocket trying to find stuff. When you have 8 in coverage if nothing develops it's time to tuck it and get the hell out of Dodge. Benefield has wheels that Tiano doesn't. Could be a factor.

God, I hope so!!!! But my optimism is being propped up by large quantities of a certain white oak aged corn based distilled beverage!!!!!

Mocs123
September 17th, 2017, 08:21 PM
Bennifields ability to tuck and run will help, but the real problem is our inability to run the ball and play calling.

Regarding our inability to run I know we don't have Derrick Craine back there, but Bridges ran for 1800 yards the past two years at PC and Bagley ran for 100+ yards in his each of his too starts last year, so we "should" be doing better than we are. Our O-Line has 3 new starters and one of the others has shifted to center (and hasn't looked comfortable to my untrained eye).

PaladinFan
September 17th, 2017, 10:13 PM
Bennifields ability to tuck and run will help, but the real problem is our inability to run the ball and play calling.

Regarding our inability to run I know we don't have Derrick Craine back there, but Bridges ran for 1800 yards the past two years at PC and Bagley ran for 100+ yards in his each of his too starts last year, so we "should" be doing better than we are. Our O-Line has 3 new starters and one of the others has shifted to center (and hasn't looked comfortable to my untrained eye).

Bagley's highest and best use really needs a battering ram banging the ball up the middle.

chattownmocs
September 18th, 2017, 01:09 AM

It's one thing to beat someone when you are mad they didn't hire you, it's another to, I don't know, make the playoffs after your first year.

chattownmocs
September 18th, 2017, 01:18 AM
It's gonna be a lot better when Bennifield gets back. I don't get why people are so attached to racial stereotypes when it comes to football but Bennifield is a much much better passer than Tiano. He's not a very good runner at all. Tiano is probably a better runner.

Cocky
September 18th, 2017, 06:48 AM
It's one thing to beat someone when you are mad they didn't hire you, it's another to, I don't know, make the playoffs after your first year.
This isnt his first year to do a good job. Martin is a tough place to win and he is doing it consistently.

Mocs123
September 18th, 2017, 07:49 AM
It's gonna be a lot better when Bennifield gets back. I don't get why people are so attached to racial stereotypes when it comes to football but Bennifield is a much much better passer than Tiano. He's not a very good runner at all. Tiano is probably a better runner.

No racial stereotyping here - and I am not saying Bennifield isn't the better passer. He has a beautiful deep ball, but no matter how good of a passer he is, it doesn't matter when he has 2 seconds to get rid of it before he is on his back. The one thing he has that Taino doesn't is a better ability to tuck and run. He can not run the ball 25 times a game like Huesman though, I don't think he could take that many hits.

PaladinFan
September 18th, 2017, 09:40 AM

Huesman > Bennefield > Tiano

Bennefield is a better passer and more "mobile" than Tiano. He can move himself around and help run guys open.

I still think the big loss is Craine. UTC's offense the last few years relied heavily on establishing the north/south game with Craine, letting Bagley stretch defenses east/west, and then taking the top off the defense downfield on the pass.

kymoc91
September 18th, 2017, 10:08 AM
I am in agreement that Craine was a beast, and helped to open up the passing game. When the D had to focus on him, it pulled more into the box. But the problem is also the O line. We have 2 seniors,1 junior, with majority freshman.

citdog
September 18th, 2017, 10:12 AM
I am in agreement that Craine was a beast, and helped to open up the passing game. When the D had to focus on him, it pulled more into the box. But the problem is also the O line. We have 2 seniors,1 junior, with majority freshman.

You chatty kathys are super bad at math. How many lineman do y'all play at one time?

kymoc91
September 18th, 2017, 10:24 AM
Right now, as many as we can get away with.. 🤣

PaladinFan
September 18th, 2017, 10:33 AM

I'm with you. I think Furman has already played over 20 freshmen this year, and something like 6 out of our 10 offensive line two deep.

Lot of really young teams out there this year.

bjtheflamesfan
September 18th, 2017, 10:43 AM

Well considering that you're now 0-3 and the SoCon is improving this year, I don't think that is much of a blessing because you're going to have to win out to get to 7 D1 wins, much less win your own conference and autobid

FUBeAR
September 18th, 2017, 10:58 AM
You chatty kathys are super bad at math. How many lineman do y'all play at one time? Coach Arth is a Stanford wannabe

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/7189679/BYkZYKoCIAEoN8H.0.jpg

SU DOG
September 18th, 2017, 11:09 AM
In case nobody has noticed - Part of Samford's early offensive inconsistency is because the starting OL consists of 2 Fr, 2 Soph. and one Jr. xcoffeex Now that has to be one of the youngest in the SoCon. They are talented and are getting better with each game, however.

citdog
September 18th, 2017, 11:11 AM
In case nobody has noticed - Part of Samford's early offensive inconsistency is because the starting OL consists of 2 Fr, 2 Soph. and one Jr. xcoffeex Now that has to be one of the youngest in the SoCon. They are talented and are getting better with each game, however.

Your defense, as usual with a Hatcher team, makes the French Army look formidable...

ElCid
September 18th, 2017, 11:27 AM

One of the youngest for sure, but we are in the same boat.

Ours starters are 2 Fr, 1 RSFr, 1 So, and 1 Jr. Our 2's are the same. 2 Fr, 2 So, and 1 Jr. Not one Sr. in the lot. I think I have seen some improvement, but you can tell we are struggling at times.

Professor Chaos
September 18th, 2017, 11:35 AM
Coach Arth is a Stanford wannabe

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/7189679/BYkZYKoCIAEoN8H.0.jpg
Geez! Four #98s on the field at the same time... and with no name plates even??? Talk about an announcer's nightmare....

GreenGlasses
September 18th, 2017, 11:40 AM
I still believe in Arth long term, but this offense is a dumpster fire. It's as bad as any of the terrible offenses in the SoCon over the last decade. The offensive line is an embarrassment to D1 football.

Can I get the number of the Tooth Fairy and Easter Bunny then, because you must have them on speed dial and believe they are real also. Tom Arth was never the right pick for UTCs new HC. What he was, is the cheap pick and pray he works/ed out. Arth's coaching experience is 3 years of asst coach at John Carroll and 3 years of HC experience at John Carroll. In other words 6 years experience at a very small DIII school in Cleveland OH (Sub Cleveland, University Heights). My guess is he didn't have any recruiting ties outside of NE Ohio, PA and Michigan maybe.

I would say just about everyone on UTCs short list was more qualified than Arth was, but then again your AD went the cheap route.

PaladinFan
September 18th, 2017, 11:40 AM
One of the youngest for sure, but we are in the same boat.

Ours starters are 2 Fr, 1 RSFr, 1 So, and 1 Jr. Our 2's are the same. 2 Fr, 2 So, and 1 Jr. Not one Sr. in the lot. I think I have seen some improvement, but you can tell we are struggling at times.

Furman OL two deep:

LT: Kroeber (r-FR), Godwin (r-So)*
LG: Bush (Sr), Wyatt (r-Fr)
C: Schmidt (Sr), Neely (Fr)
RG: Breedlove (r-So), Auer (r-Fr)**
RT: Layton (r-Fr)

*swing player that backs up both OT and OG
**moved to OL from TE late in preseason

SU DOG
September 18th, 2017, 11:42 AM
Your defense, as usual with a Hatcher team, makes the French Army look formidable...

Oh yeah, so bad last year that The Citadel at home, and Samford without the services of Shaheed Salmon our leading tackler, just rammed that pitiful defense for a huge lopsided 3 point OT win.

citdog
September 18th, 2017, 11:52 AM
Oh yeah, so bad last year that The Citadel at home, and Samford without the services of Shaheed Salmon our leading tackler, just rammed that pitiful defense for a huge lopsided 3 point OT win.

The year before at YOUR place we went through y'all like Lee went through Pope as 2nd Manassas. You had a ringer qb then who we knocked into Mississippi. Just think how good y'all could be if you tackled ANYBODY...

FUBeAR
September 18th, 2017, 12:09 PM

They may be young; but they are all the size of mastadons, with the athleticism of gazelles, have the hearts of lions beating in their chests, and are certain NFL 1st round draft choices.

Rushing
avg
td
avg/g

Total

YouCanBankIt!

SU DOG
September 18th, 2017, 12:09 PM
The year before at YOUR place we went through y'all like Lee went through Pope as 2nd Manassas. You had a ringer qb then who we knocked into Mississippi. Just think how good y'all could be if you tackled ANYBODY...

Much obliged for that QB deal. I know what the stats are, but I believe our defense will be better than most think. If not, then we will have a disappointing year.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 18th, 2017, 12:13 PM
Can I get the number of the Tooth Fairy and Easter Bunny then, because you must have them on speed dial and believe they are real also. Tom Arth was never the right pick for UTCs new HC. What he was, is the cheap pick and pray he works/ed out. Arth's coaching experience is 3 years of asst coach at John Carroll and 3 years of HC experience at John Carroll. In other words 6 years experience at a very small DIII school in Cleveland OH (Sub Cleveland, University Heights). My guess is he didn't have any recruiting ties outside of NE Ohio, PA and Michigan maybe.

I would say just about everyone on UTCs short list was more qualified than Arth was, but then again your AD went the cheap route.

David Blackburn was the AD who hired Arth a few months before he left.

JSUSoutherner
September 18th, 2017, 12:14 PM
Much obliged for that QB deal. I know what the stats are, but I believe our defense will be better than most think. If not, then we will have a disappointing year.

The stats are ass. You guys will have to start waffle stomping teams if you want anyone to take your defense seriously.

PaladinFan
September 18th, 2017, 12:14 PM
David Blackburn was the AD who hired Arth a few months before he left.

Still interested to know what was the issue with Jamey Chadwell. I'm not shocked Furman passed on him, but I'd have bet my last dollar either UTC or Furman would have picked him up.

Mocs123
September 18th, 2017, 12:23 PM
I don't think Arth was cheap. I know we are paying him more than Huesman. I was thinking 300k a year.

citdog
September 18th, 2017, 12:37 PM
I don't think Arth was cheap. I know we are paying him more than Huesman. I was thinking 300k a year.

For what he has produced so far he had better show up on payday with a mask and a piece because he is straight robbing y'all...

citdog
September 18th, 2017, 12:38 PM
They may be young; but they are all the size of mastadons, with the athleticism of gazelles, have the hearts of lions beating in their chests, and are certain NFL 1st round draft choices.

Rushing
avg
td
avg/g

Total

YouCanBankIt!

Bankit!

GreenGlasses
September 18th, 2017, 01:10 PM

By cheap I'm not even talking all monetary. He was the easy pick with the least experience. The man must be like the fat boy Charlie Weis, he must give 1 hell of a good interview.

Mocs123
September 18th, 2017, 01:33 PM
He gives a pretty polished press conference compared to Russ Huesman so I imagine he interviewed well.

I am not sure how his contract is set up but it was me going to D3 to get a high risk/high reward coach I would set it up where the base is low with lots of incentive $.

Mocs123
September 18th, 2017, 01:39 PM
Still interested to know what was the issue with Jamey Chadwell. I'm not shocked Furman passed on him, but I'd have bet my last dollar either UTC or Furman would have picked him up.

Me too. It was reported that everything was all but done in Chattanooga, then nothing. I'm not sure what the holdup was.

chattownmocs
September 18th, 2017, 08:35 PM
By cheap I'm not even talking all monetary. He was the easy pick with the least experience. The man must be like the fat boy Charlie Weis, he must give 1 hell of a good interview.

Or maybe people took notice that despite mediocrity in his first year at that stop, he would go on to take out 2 of the most dominant dynasties in all of college football. But hey 3 games make a career I guess.

chattownmocs
September 18th, 2017, 08:36 PM
Jamey Chadwell is a rube.

The Pud
September 19th, 2017, 06:36 AM
Relax, your team will be just fine. If you guys win out you make it to the playoffs. One game at a time.

PaladinFan
September 19th, 2017, 07:55 AM
Relax, your team will be just fine. If you guys win out you make it to the playoffs. One game at a time.

Every SoCon team still controls their destiny.

FUBeAR
September 19th, 2017, 08:06 AM
Every SoCon team still controls their destiny. Not exactly. If Woffy wins out, neither FU nor MU can win the SoCon. Of course, both could still make the Playoffs as At-Large Teams & 'control their destiny' from there...regardless of Woffy's SoCon record.

PaladinFan
September 19th, 2017, 08:07 AM
Not exactly. If Woffy wins out, neither FU nor MU can win the SoCon. Of course, both could still make the Playoffs as At-Large Teams & 'control their destiny' from there...regardless of Woffy's SoCon record.

Let me clarify. I meant for the postseason.

GreenGlasses
September 20th, 2017, 02:03 PM
He gives a pretty polished press conference compared to Russ Huesman so I imagine he interviewed well.

I am not sure how his contract is set up but it was me going to D3 to get a high risk/high reward coach I would set it up where the base is low with lots of incentive $.

Just looking at those who were speculated on or may have had interest in is crazy that Tom Arth actually is the one that came out on top:

Jeff Durden- UTC OC.... He is the one that was calling the plays for your O-

Marcus Satterfield- Tennessee Tech HC, sure he went 5-6 his 1st year but its better than what Watson Brown was doing.

Will Healy- Austin Peay HC, Austin Peay went winless last year but he has them playing much better this year. Before Haley AP had won a total of 6 games since 2010

Jamey Chadwell- Coastal Carolina IHC, I don't know what the hesitation on hiring Chadwell at 3-4 schools is, does he have lepersy or something.

Adam Fuller- Asst HC/LBs/Special Teams Co-Ord at Marshall University, Fuller spent 4 years at UTC as the LBs and DC at UTC, if I remember correctly UTC defense was ranked 6th in the nation in 2012 under Fuller

Bobby Hauck- Former Montana and UNLV HC, Hauck didn't do much at UNLV but how many people do. He had Montana ranked more than once at #1 and made it to the national championship game twice losing to Richmond and Nova.

Just looking over this list makes one scratch their heads on how Tom Arth was picked as the HC.

FUBeAR
September 20th, 2017, 05:42 PM
Just looking at those who were speculated on or may have had interest in is crazy that Tom Arth actually is the one that came out on top:

Marcus Satterfield- Tennessee Tech HC, sure he went 5-6 his 1st year but its better than what Watson Brown was doing.

Will Healy- Austin Peay HC, Austin Peay went winless last year but he has them playing much better this year. Before Haley AP had won a total of 6 games since 2010

Jamey Chadwell- Coastal Carolina IHC, I don't know what the hesitation on hiring Chadwell at 3-4 schools is, does he have lepersy or something.

Adam Fuller- Asst HC/LBs/Special Teams Co-Ord at Marshall University, Fuller spent 4 years at UTC as the LBs and DC at UTC, if I remember correctly UTC defense was ranked 6th in the nation in 2012 under Fuller

Bobby Hauck- Former Montana and UNLV HC, Hauck didn't do much at UNLV but how many people do. He had Montana ranked more than once at #1 and made it to the national championship game twice losing to Richmond and Nova.

Just looking over this list makes one scratch their heads on how Tom Arth was picked as the HC.

You're not following the money. ALWAYS follow the money!

It may help if you think of that money sitting on an Orange & White Checkerboard.

NorthChuckSouth
September 20th, 2017, 09:51 PM

He wasn't going to Furman

Milktruck74
September 21st, 2017, 04:06 AM
There are always growing pains with every new staff. After six games I fully expect Arth to be 3-3... (sans a D2 squad) after 6 games at Chattanooga Huesman was 3-3. ITs is early in the season. Granted we have played horribly, but we havn't lost to bad football teams. I didn't think this was a playoff team this year anyway and we have played horrible, but there are still 8 games left to right the ship. I've said before...this team could be 9-2 or 2-9.

PaladinFan
September 21st, 2017, 05:02 AM
There are always growing pains with every new staff. After six games I fully expect Arth to be 3-3... (sans a D2 squad) after 6 games at Chattanooga Huesman was 3-3. ITs is early in the season. Granted we have played horribly, but we havn't lost to bad football teams. I didn't think this was a playoff team this year anyway and we have played horrible, but there are still 8 games left to right the ship. I've said before...this team could be 9-2 or 2-9.

Of course, Arth inherited a play off team with talent. Huesman didn't.

- - - Updated - - -

He wasn't going to Furman

Clearly.

Milktruck74
September 21st, 2017, 05:53 AM
Of course, Arth inherited a play off team with talent. Huesman didn't.

I'd disagree a little (not much).... First, Huesman inherited Talent. UTC has always had talented players, just not a coaching staff that knew how to utilize it. Second, Huesman knew something was up...he didn't bolt to UR just for the money. It was pretty much a lateral move... Many think he foresaw the end of his run.

But yes, I think we are all a little disappointed with the play in the first 3 games, however.....we could have played great and still been 0-3...it is not like we lost to a D2 team....or worse, VMI.

FUBeAR
September 21st, 2017, 06:08 AM
I've said before...this team could be 9-2 or 2-9.9-2 seems highly unlikely at this point. So...

Milktruck74
September 21st, 2017, 06:54 AM
9-2 seems highly unlikely at this point. So...

LSU was a win...anytime you can walk away healthy and with a huge check....WIN!!!! ha. ask Conner MacGregor.

GreenGlasses
September 21st, 2017, 10:37 AM
I'd disagree a little (not much).... First, Huesman inherited Talent. UTC has always had talented players, just not a coaching staff that knew how to utilize it. Second, Huesman knew something was up...he didn't bolt to UR just for the money. It was pretty much a lateral move... Many think he foresaw the end of his run.

But yes, I think we are all a little disappointed with the play in the first 3 games, however.....we could have played great and still been 0-3...it is not like we lost to a D2 team....or worse, VMI.

You may have had a few talented players when Huesman got there. But your talent level over all was not good, you were a lower tier SoCon team for a reason. There was a reason you went 3-9, 2-9, 6-5, 3-8 and 1-11 under Allison and it wasn't all just bad coaching. Huesman at 6-5 over achieved in his 1st year.

Also I wouldn't be counting Furman as a win right now. Sure Furman is 0-3 just like you but with a break here and there they could have beat both Wofford and Elon and be 2-1 right now, if this was 2018 and they had the same schedule I might even venture to say they would be 2-1. They just have to learn to put everything together.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 21st, 2017, 04:48 PM

Maybe he was more interested in the ETSU role that will open up when Torbush retires.

longtimemocfan
September 21st, 2017, 05:17 PM

Besides Chadwell and Hauck who has any viable head coaching experience? Chadwell was my first pick. How would Hauck been able to recruit any better than Arth ? Who by the way had a very good class considering the short time he had to get one together. None of the other coaches would I have trusted to be a head coach. Adam fuller to me the best coordinator of the bunch, but still would you trust him to be a head coach ?

citdog
September 21st, 2017, 05:25 PM
Brent Thompson took over a playoff team and has gone 13-2 since taking over. Perhaps chatty kathys should have promoted Durden..

longtimemocfan
September 21st, 2017, 07:06 PM
Brent Thompson took over a playoff team and has gone 13-2 since taking over. Perhaps chatty kathys should have promoted Durden..

I really liked Jeff as a person and coach. He did have a few games, important games where he didn't make crucial asjustments that were right out in front of him. Thompson has done a good job, but he also had the luxury of keeping the same system as the prior coaching staff had in place.

GreenGlasses
September 21st, 2017, 07:23 PM
Besides Chadwell and Hauck who has any viable head coaching experience? Chadwell was my first pick. How would Hauck been able to recruit any better than Arth ? Who by the way had a very good class considering the short time he had to get one together. None of the other coaches would I have trusted to be a head coach. Adam fuller to me the best coordinator of the bunch, but still would you trust him to be a head coach ?

I believe I would have taken a chance on Adam Fuller long before Arth. Fuller already has 19 years of experience of college coaching and he is still relatively young in the coaching business at 38.

He has coached at:
Wanger College 98-04, LBs 98-03, Co-DC- 04
Assumption College 05 Head Coach
Richmond 06-07 LBs
UTC 08-12 LBs, 10-12 DC
Marshall 13-present LBs, 15-present Co-Ord Special Teams, 17-present Asst HC.

Sure would you have had a season of learning how to adapt of being a HC, yes. But I can almost bet that he has more knowledge, know-with-all and esp. recruiting contacts than Arth does.

My top 3 short list for Chatty if I was AD would have been:
Jamey Chadwell
Bobby Hauck
Adam Fuller

And then it would also come down to who would be the most willing to actually come.

CID1990
September 21st, 2017, 08:02 PM
I really liked Jeff as a person and coach. He did have a few games, important games where he didn't make crucial asjustments that were right out in front of him. Thompson has done a good job, but he also had the luxury of keeping the same system as the prior coaching staff had in place.

That's the point - hiring a protege of a successful coach from his existing staff

longtimemocfan
September 21st, 2017, 10:02 PM
Arth hasn't had any problems recruiting quality players. He has even gone into areas Huesman wouldn't venture into like Kentucky and Florida. Does it make him a good head coach ? Only time will tell.
I liked Chadwell from the get go, but he apparently had issues with the NCAA that scared the administration off. I could talk defense with Adam Fuller forever. Best overall coordinator Huesman had down here. Would he make a good head coach ? Again would be a gamble. Hauck may have been around the block too many times already not sure I'd have put him on my short list.

GreenGlasses
September 22nd, 2017, 10:19 AM
Hauck may have been around the block too many times already not sure I'd have put him on my short list.

You wouldn't put a coach on your short list that made it to #1 5 times at his time as HC at Montana and made 2 national championship games. Hauck is now 53, so age shouldn't have been an issue either

longtimemocfan
September 22nd, 2017, 08:21 PM
You wouldn't put a coach on your short list that made it to #1 5 times at his time as HC at Montana and made 2 national championship games. Hauck is now 53, so age shouldn't have been an issue either

You've heard of the old cliche "what have you done for me lately." Hauck had a good run at Montana, but that was 8 years ago. He was 15-48 at UNLV. That's not going to get a frontline job too many places.

NorthChuckSouth
September 22nd, 2017, 09:06 PM
Arth hasn't had any problems recruiting quality players. He has even gone into areas Huesman wouldn't venture into like Kentucky and Florida. Does it make him a good head coach ? Only time will tell.
I liked Chadwell from the get go, but he apparently had issues with the NCAA that scared the administration off. I could talk defense with Adam Fuller forever. Best overall coordinator Huesman had down here. Would he make a good head coach ? Again would be a gamble. Hauck may have been around the block too many times already not sure I'd have put him on my short list.

We got hit for the same thing the Florida players did except not selling the items.. There really isn't anything to hold against him except for that and a tweet he and the wide receiver coach sent to a recruit outside the designated period.

longtimemocfan
September 22nd, 2017, 09:25 PM
We got hit for the same thing the Florida players did except not selling the items.. There really isn't anything to hold against him except for that and a tweet he and the wide receiver coach sent to a recruit outside the designated period.

I was really excited about him ( Chadwell) and thought we were hours away from hiring him. I was really blown away with what change of events that came about.

NorthChuckSouth
September 22nd, 2017, 09:57 PM
I was really excited about him ( Chadwell) and thought we were hours away from hiring him. I was really blown away with what change of events that came about.

Trust me we thought he was 100% gone to Chatt

GodHelpTheBears
September 22nd, 2017, 10:59 PM
You've heard of the old cliche "what have you done for me lately." Hauck had a good run at Montana, but that was 8 years ago. He was 15-48 at UNLV. That's not going to get a frontline job too many places.

I'd be wary about bringing in a western guy, who has never coached east of the Rocky Mountains. The cultural differences and lack of regional contacts/reputation must be taken into consideration.

longtimemocfan
September 23rd, 2017, 11:31 AM
I'd be wary about bringing in a western guy, who has never coached east of the Rocky Mountains. The cultural differences and lack of regional contacts/reputation must be taken into consideration.

Absolutely !!

GreenGlasses
September 23rd, 2017, 12:30 PM

How many people have done anything at UNLV, hell they just lost to Howard as a 43 1/2 point favorite. Same could be said for Tulane, Temple, EMU, Kent State and Akron. Doesn't mean I wouldn't discount everyone that has coached at those programs.