PDA

View Full Version : CSU @ Elon - 6pm

NorthChuckSouth
September 11th, 2017, 03:26 PM
Honestly I have no idea how this game is going to go.. thought I'd know a little more to this point about our team but all I have to date is an incredibly poor performance against a FBS school and a week off to continue to ponder how our offense will truly perform. However, I'm going with CSU by two touchdowns. Maybe start off a little slow but get going once we get back into the swing of things.

Bucs2016
September 11th, 2017, 03:47 PM
Same here. Elon used to be really good. Apparently not as much lately.

I hate this SC State game got cancelled. 2nd year in a row a hurricane costed us a game, because i dont see how we're gonna reschedule this.

Mississippi State is a darkhorse in SEC West. I dont put much stock into that game.

ElonFirefighter
September 11th, 2017, 03:55 PM
I can't make a real prediction. With CSU only playing a FBS and Furmans close game to a Wofford Team that beat Mercer by 1, not giving me a good read on Elon. Our passing game came around against Furman, so I feel better about our Fr. QB, but our D had some holes. then again Furman was running the option. With Elon home and CSU missing last weeks game, I would place this game at Even right now. I agree I see CSU getting off to a slow start due to there unintended bye, it just depends how long it takes them to get the gears going and if Elon can take advantage.

cx500d
September 11th, 2017, 07:43 PM

We used to say that about Chuck South....Zip - seriously?

woffordgrad94
September 11th, 2017, 08:26 PM
I'll take Charleston Southern in this one by about 10-14.

phoenix3
September 12th, 2017, 06:53 AM
This is a hard pick for me. Both teams had lack luster showings against good FBS teams. Elon showed good rebound on offense against Furman, but also showed weakness against the option on defense. I think I'm correct when I say that Elon isn't the anemic team that was on the field last year. We had talent at certain positions last year, as we do this year, but suffered from a lack of leadership and ability at QB and boring, ineffective play calling. Elon defense lost the most from graduation and suspension, but we added some young talent too. The new defensive scheme has very slightly impaired us early on, simply because of the learning curve.

I think Elon benefited from the coaching change. I have no way of knowing, but I sense, at least right now, that CSU was hurt by the coaching exodus.

Recent history obviously favors CSU. Their conference championships and trips to the playoffs far outshine Elon's finishing at the bottom of the CAA.

I'm actually expecting a good competitive game. The forecast looks great, so I'm hoping also to see plenty of folks in the stands, hopefully from both schools.

I'm picking Elon pretty much as the homer pick because I really don't have much more to go on.

NorthChuckSouth
September 15th, 2017, 05:32 PM
This is a hard pick for me. Both teams had lack luster showings against good FBS teams. Elon showed good rebound on offense against Furman, but also showed weakness against the option on defense. I think I'm correct when I say that Elon isn't the anemic team that was on the field last year. We had talent at certain positions last year, as we do this year, but suffered from a lack of leadership and ability at QB and boring, ineffective play calling. Elon defense lost the most from graduation and suspension, but we added some young talent too. The new defensive scheme has very slightly impaired us early on, simply because of the learning curve.

I think Elon benefited from the coaching change. I have no way of knowing, but I sense, at least right now, that CSU was hurt by the coaching exodus.

Recent history obviously favors CSU. Their conference championships and trips to the playoffs far outshine Elon's finishing at the bottom of the CAA.

I'm actually expecting a good competitive game. The forecast looks great, so I'm hoping also to see plenty of folks in the stands, hopefully from both schools.

I'm picking Elon pretty much as the homer pick because I really don't have much more to go on.

Unfortunately I won't be able to make it but I know a few other people that are and the parents usually have a good showing

jsnow84
September 16th, 2017, 12:01 AM

I hate this SC State game got cancelled. 2nd year in a row a hurricane costed us a game, because i dont see how we're gonna reschedule this.

Mississippi State is a darkhorse in SEC West. I dont put much stock into that game.

"Costed us a game"? CSU English major? xcoolx

CID1990
September 16th, 2017, 01:34 AM

Cut him some slack. It's enough that he spelled it all correctly.

(I say this without looking first.)

UNHWildcat18
September 16th, 2017, 06:28 AM
Elon with two games to develop including a win over Furman at furman. CSU with a beyond embarrassing performance vs Mississippi state. 33 total yards, haven't played in two weeks. With everything that happened in the off season I wouldn't be surprised if Elon pulls out the W

Bucs2016
September 16th, 2017, 07:02 AM

No i wasnt an English major. Past tense of cost is costed. 2nd year in a row a....Hurricane "cost" us a game. Hurricane "costs" us a game. Hurricane "costed" us a game. Whatever it sounded right, "costed" is commonly used in business so excuse me for not be an English professor haha

Bucs2016
September 16th, 2017, 07:08 AM
Cut him some slack. It's enough that he spelled it all correctly.

(I say this without looking first.)

Yes we all can improve. We'll try to fix our grammar at CSU. Yall can work on stopping all the child molestation on campus. Oops!

phoenix3
September 16th, 2017, 09:20 AM
You know, I can appreciate proper grammar, but, this is a football discussion board. Poor grammar can occur due to time, lack of proof reading, small keys on the smart phone screen, etc. If you want to give someone grief for grammar, spelling and the like, please go to the proper grammar discussion board and let the rest of discuss football here.

NorthChuckSouth
September 16th, 2017, 09:24 AM
we dusn't care bout no praper gramer becuz ITZ GAMEDAY!!!!! ​Go Bucs!!

Reign of Terrier
September 16th, 2017, 01:13 PM
I think this game will be a lot closer than people think. CSU doesn't have their head coach or DC from years prior. It's too soon to say if they are back to mediocrity, but there are some flashing indicators that they aren't good this year.

Bucs2016
September 16th, 2017, 05:23 PM
I think this game will be a lot closer than people think. CSU doesn't have their head coach or DC from years prior. It's too soon to say if they are back to mediocrity, but there are some flashing indicators that they aren't good this year.

I didnt think it was gonna be much dropoff it any. Hard to judge off 1 game vs Miss State. MSU is a SEC darkhorse.

But who knows. There has been a huge staff transition

NorthChuckSouth
September 16th, 2017, 05:27 PM
Defense isn't looking like usual in this game so far... lots of yards per carry

Reign of Terrier
September 16th, 2017, 05:54 PM
I didnt think it was gonna be much dropoff it any. Hard to judge off 1 game vs Miss State. MSU is a SEC darkhorse.

But who knows. There has been a huge staff transition

laying an egg against an SEC team isn't a bad indicator. In statistical terms, FBS performances are often "noise" and not a signal. Having said that, the *extremely* poor performance, complemented by the coaching transition is why I'm not optimistic about CSU this year

Bucs2016
September 16th, 2017, 06:32 PM
laying an egg against an SEC team isn't a bad indicator. In statistical terms, FBS performances are often "noise" and not a signal. Having said that, the *extremely* poor performance, complemented by the coaching transition is why I'm not optimistic about CSU this year

Through the 1st half you might be right. Hope we're just rusty from hurricane crap and not playing last week. But so far...we are missing RBs Mike Holloway and Darrius Hammond...BADLY. Best 2 RBs in school history both gone. I may have been too optimistic about us replacing all that productivity.

Bucs2016
September 16th, 2017, 08:16 PM
Congrats Elon! Nice game. Yall are off to a good 2017 start.

We are officially in a rebuild. Losing all that offensive production at RB hurt us a lot more than I thought. Plus Elon just kicked our butts anyway. Oh well. Get better before conference play Bucs!

Reign of Terrier
September 16th, 2017, 08:32 PM
Too early to tell how good Elon is and too early to tell how average CSU is IMO

Bucs2016
September 16th, 2017, 09:05 PM
Too early to tell how good Elon is and too early to tell how average CSU is IMO

True. However....watching Mississippi State put an absolute beat down on LSU makes me feel less bad about how awful we looked down there!