PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here watch only FCS games?

woffordgrad94
September 9th, 2017, 07:58 PM
And ignore FBS games? I graduated from an FCS school (though they weren't even D-1 when I was a student there) and I do keep up with their games and how their conference foes are doing, but I have to admit (confess?) that I am a bigger watcher of FBS: it is simply a better product and is considered more relevant by more people. I can have more conversations at my jobs on FBS. I can't talk about Wofford football- most people I come into contact with as I travel have never even heard of them. But that's just me- if you go hardcore FCS then more power to you! I'm just curious as to how many from this board actually only concentrate on FCS...I'm not going to judge anybody poorly for it...to each his own!

GodHelpTheBears
September 9th, 2017, 08:00 PM
And ignore FBS games? I graduated from an FCS school (though they weren't even D-1 when I was a student there) and I do keep up with their games and how their conference foes are doing, but I have to admit (confess?) that I am a bigger watcher of FBS: it is simply a better product and is considered more relevant by more people. I can have more conversations at my jobs on FBS. I can't talk about Wofford football- most people I come into contact with as I travel have never even heard of them. But that's just me- if you go hardcore FCS then more power to you! I'm just curious as to how many from this board actually only concentrate on FCS...I'm not going to judge anybody poorly for it...to each his own!

FBS games keep me sane. If I watched nothing but my alma mater's team I would not only hate the sport of football, I would probably hate life itself.

That being said, I have no rooting interests up there.

BisonFan02
September 9th, 2017, 08:05 PM
I RARELY watch FBS games....and really only when there isn't a good FCS matchup on. Especially with ESPN3 options. Participating in the AGS poll and playoff implications don't hurt either.

woffordgrad94
September 9th, 2017, 08:06 PM
Clemson is my FBS team. I rooted for them as a boy. Even though I actually ended up getting my Master's from South Carolina, I still hate their football fans so I don't root for that team and never will!

Reign of Terrier
September 9th, 2017, 08:07 PM
Eh I like Wofford, but in the years where wofford sucks it's hard for me to care about any kind of football (FCS or FBS). But when Wofford's good, I'll watch any football.

The same happens for me with basketball too.

BisonFan02
September 9th, 2017, 08:07 PM
Clemson is my FBS team. I rooted for them as a boy. Even though I actually ended up getting my Master's from South Carolina, I still hate their football fans so I don't root for that team and never will!

NDSU is the "FBS" team up here....even when they were DII. Its kinda different situations.

woffordgrad94
September 9th, 2017, 08:10 PM
NDSU is the "FBS" team up here....even when they were DII. Its kinda different situations.
Very true. Same as Montana and South Dakota...you guys have no FCS.

citdog
September 9th, 2017, 08:10 PM
I could care less about the fbs.

cx500d
September 9th, 2017, 08:11 PM
I watch some fbs

BisonFan02
September 9th, 2017, 08:12 PM
Very true. Same as Montana and South Dakota...you guys have no FCS.

Not true...we like the playoffs and the schools fit the profile.

GodHelpTheBears
September 9th, 2017, 08:12 PM

The Ozarks have been a mix, UM-C has never had a strong grip on this area.

Growing up, OU was the #1 team, now I see more Razorbacks stuff, albeit anecdotally. Missouri State fandom tends to be limited to basketball.

Sader87
September 9th, 2017, 08:17 PM

You could? How much less? :)

I probably watch an even amount of both FCS and FBS outside of watching/attending HC games. I have no rooting interest in any FBS program...just watch interesting matchups. I also like to see BC lose :)

JALMOND
September 9th, 2017, 08:18 PM

You can follow FBS without really trying. It takes effort to follow the FCS, although it is has become a bit easier due to all the websites that are dedicated to the FCS. At my work, I tell the Ducks and Beavers fans about Portland State, how they are doing and what happened in their games. Therefore, I just concentrate on the FCS. I get enough about the FBS and Pac-12 without trying.

bonarae
September 9th, 2017, 08:18 PM
I follow some FBS and even lower division teams (examples include Michigan, UCLA, Chicago, UMHB). But nothing beats the spirit and commitment FCS teams have on their football teams despite a garden variety of budgets, AD tastes and restrictions (e.g. the Ivies have a lot of restrictions surrounding football but they still send a number of players to the NFL each year.)

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

ElCid
September 9th, 2017, 08:22 PM
I will usually watch a big FBS game or the west coast FBS late when I can't get a Big Sky or late east/central FCS game. But only P5. I can't remember the last G5 I watched. Years?? Decades??? I probably watch 5-7 FCS games live (at least parts) and at least 1-3 FBS games. On Sunday I watch the FCS ESPN replays for the highlights of games of note. But the numbers go way down when I travel to see my Dogs.

BisonTru
September 9th, 2017, 08:23 PM

How much less could you care though?

--------------------------------------------------
On the OP, I'm going to follow whatever conference NDSU is in. I watched NDSU, then UNI, now I'm watching USD. If I can find a feed I'll also catch SDSU tonight. If I can't get a MVFC game I'm going to watch whatever FCS game I can find usually with 1 playoff possible team. Really most of my FBS watching is at the 11am hour when they whore their schedule out to get on ESPNocho. xrotatehx

I don't really care if FCS isn't the most popular. I think our playoffs beat the crap out of their 85 bowls. That and I follow the NFL pretty close so if I need to make small talk with another football fan that's a pretty safe topic.

JSUSoutherner
September 9th, 2017, 08:24 PM
Typing this comment as I flip back and forth between UA/ Clemson and OSU/ OU.

I flipped to the TTU/ KSU game, frowned, and flipped back.

woffordgrad94
September 9th, 2017, 08:31 PM
OT, but JSU, I like your location. Be sure to leave some room for those SoCon officials too!

CHIP72
September 9th, 2017, 08:34 PM
I personally focus more on the NFL and find all levels of college football (aka the NFL's minor league farm system) a pleasant Saturday diversion. I've really only gotten into college football in the last 10 years (though I followed it some, albeit only at the DI-A level, when I was growing up in the 1980s), whereas with the NFL I've followed it without any interruption since 1981.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

September 9th, 2017, 08:43 PM
Only time I watch any FBS team is when the are playing an FCS team. I do not think I have watched a bowl game in 30-40 years.

ST_Lawson
September 9th, 2017, 09:38 PM
I'll put on FBS games when they're going on, but don't really have one team that I root for. I'll usually root for the Big 10 in their non-conference games (unless they're playing an FCS team) and in the bowl games and their "playoff-type-thing", mostly just because of proximity and I have a good number of friends and family who have gone to quite a few of the B10 schools.

Usually, though, I can find a MVFC game going on that I can stream.

Catbooster
September 9th, 2017, 11:51 PM
For me it is virtually only FCS. I watch some FBS when I have a chance and here are no FCS games on. I hardly ever watch NFL.
So yes, I virtually watch only FCS games.

Katfan
September 9th, 2017, 11:56 PM
I watch fcs and root for any fcs team playing an FBS team. So for all my Aggie friends, you'd probably be the 4th best team in the SLC at this point of the season

CID1990
September 10th, 2017, 02:48 AM
Rarely.

And I'm living in my second overseas country where oil companies are present, so there are a bunch of Texas A&M fans around

I like to ask them, "Hey! Is that a Citadel ring?"

Twentysix
September 10th, 2017, 03:38 AM
I pretty much exclusively watch FCS games. Don't care for FBS. Occasionally I'll flip on a Nebraska/Iowa/Minnesota/Wyoming game. But its pretty unlikely.

dgtw
September 10th, 2017, 05:44 AM

As a Bama fan, I was really pulling for Clemson last night.

Outside of Jax State, I don't watch FCS games.

RabidRabbit
September 10th, 2017, 08:27 AM
Almost exclusively FCS, or if a close FBS/FCS match up. Sundays, if able to watch football (no 'Honey do's) then, ya, NFL, but looking for the former FCS stars (Go Dave Johnson, Zach Zenner, Etc)

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 10th, 2017, 08:36 AM
I prefer FCS games over FBS. I don't watch much FBS because I don't really have a team I follow but will watch it once in awhile.

CockyGeek
September 10th, 2017, 08:48 AM
I watch way more FBS games than FCS ones. I grew up a Georgia fan so I still watch their games most weekends if they don't interfere with JSU ones. My girlfriend is a UAB grad so I've started watching their games this year.

I'll watch Bama, Auburn, Tennessee, games etc. If they are highly ranked and playing a good game.

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 10th, 2017, 08:50 AM
No, that would be absolutely absurd. Why would I deprive myself of good football?

walliver
September 10th, 2017, 09:05 AM
I watch whichever games most interest me without regard to level. I generally avoid G5 games and the lower half of the P5, but I also avoid lower level FCS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Catbooster
September 10th, 2017, 12:06 PM
I watch whichever games most interest me without regard to level. I generally avoid G5 games and the lower half of the P5, but I also avoid lower level FCS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I think that's probably true for all of us. But for some of us, the game that interests us most is almost always an FCS game.

DoWe
September 10th, 2017, 12:19 PM
Whether anyone admits it or not, FCS fans keep an eye on FBS. That's why FCS fans have a much more thorough understanding of NCAA D1 football than the typical FBS fan. Those folks you talk college football with at work usually just don't know **** about FCS. They don't even really know that much about FBS, except maybe their own team's conference.

That's my experience and you can't talk me out of it.

JALMOND
September 10th, 2017, 12:44 PM
Whether anyone admits it or not, FCS fans keep an eye on FBS. That's why FCS fans have a much more thorough understanding of NCAA D1 football than the typical FBS fan. Those folks you talk college football with at work usually just don't know **** about FCS. They don't even really know that much about FBS, except maybe their own team's conference.

That's my experience and you can't talk me out of it.

Duck fans know everything there is to know about college football. That is how they know they are going to win the national championship every year.

polsongrizz
September 10th, 2017, 02:00 PM
FCS only, and that includes zero interest in nfl games...

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 10th, 2017, 02:34 PM
I watch FCS 90% of the time but late Saturday night I put in any game that is playing....because it's college football.

If I have to pick a favorite FBS team it's Arizona St but I would never watch one of their games over a good FCS game.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

FUBeAR
September 10th, 2017, 03:22 PM
I watch some NFL Feeder System (P5) games & don't care who wins, unless I personally know Players or Coaches on one team or another.

I would rather cut out my toenails from their base with a dull rusty butter knife than watch a ShamWannabe League (G5) game. Just awful Football!

Since Furman & the SoCon moved to Division I-AA in 1982, it's been the ONLY level of College Football that I've cared about, care to attend, and care to watch. My Family, Friends, and Work Associates know this (or they soon will) & I talk about my Team(s) just like they talk about their Semi-Pro or WannabePoser Teams. If they're ignorant, that's not my fault, but I do feel obligated to enlighten them.

cx500d
September 10th, 2017, 03:26 PM
I watch FCS 90% of the time but late Saturday night I put in any game that is playing....because it's college football.

If I have to pick a favorite FBS team it's Arizona St but I would never watch one of their games over a good FCS game.

Todd Graham is a douchebag of a coach...Can't stand him.

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 10th, 2017, 05:33 PM
He's a great guy to drink beer with

cx500d
September 10th, 2017, 07:09 PM
He's a great guy to drink beer with

He used to be a high school coach in the town next to me with the big ass stadium. They didn't have the stadium when graham was here. He was a douche at his previous two colleges also, but that's common knowledge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ElCid
September 10th, 2017, 08:04 PM
I think that's probably true for all of us. But for some of us, the game that interests us most is almost always an FCS game.

Yup.

caribbeanhen
September 10th, 2017, 08:29 PM
the only thing I'm watching is your avatar

citdog
September 10th, 2017, 08:31 PM
the only thing I'm watching is your avatar

That was 4 helmets ago....

sigh

NorthChuckSouth
September 10th, 2017, 08:32 PM
I grew up 15 minutes from Clemson.. my brother played there and basically everyone in my family is an alumni. My parents have been season ticket holders since the 70's and I grew up going to Clemson games. So I have a lot of roots to the school and if CSU is playing away i'll usually find my way up to tigertown but other than that i'll watch some fbs games here and there.

That being said I keep up with FCS now more than ever and try to help grow attention to FCS football around here but not a lot of people are that interested due to one school in the ACC and the other in the SEC it's tough to get a lot of attention to the FCS schools in the state because a lot of them don't bring the atmosphere like Clemson and SoCar. Growing up you were either Clemson or Carolina and if someone said "No I pull for Furman" then the most common answer was "oh that doesn't count." We played Wofford in the playoffs on the same day that Clemson and SoCar were playing and there was hardly anyone there due to that fact. A lot of my friends that are Wofford alums said they were going to be in Clemson and some people that were at the wofford game were planning on leaving right after. Unfortunately that's just the nature of the beast

citdog
September 10th, 2017, 08:34 PM
I grew up 15 minutes from Clemson.. my brother played there and basically everyone in my family is an alumni. My parents have been season ticket holders since the 70's and I grew up going to Clemson games. So I have a lot of roots to the school and if CSU is playing away i'll usually find my way up to tigertown but other than that i'll watch some fbs games here and there.

That being said I keep up with FCS now more than ever and try to help grow attention to FCS football around here but not a lot of people are that interested due to one school in the ACC and the other in the SEC it's tough to get a lot of attention to the FCS schools in the state because a lot of them don't bring the atmosphere like Clemson and SoCar. Growing up you were either Clemson or Carolina and if someone said "No I pull for Furman" then the most common answer was "oh that doesn't count." We played Wofford in the playoffs on the same day that Clemson and SoCar were playing and there was hardly anyone there due to that fact. A lot of my friends that are Wofford alums said they were going to be in Clemson and some people that were at the wofford game were planning on leaving right after. Unfortunately that's just the nature of the beast

Those people are called douchebags. Have some damn loyalty.

caribbeanhen
September 10th, 2017, 08:40 PM
That was 4 helmets ago....

sigh

I guess I was distracted, but for me, no NFL anymore, still watch some FBS but if I have to choose it's FCS all the way...

mamberso
September 11th, 2017, 05:17 PM
Depends. In the morning, I will typically chose a Patriot or NEC game over the Big 10. JSU usually plays in the afternoon, so I'm watching that game over the premier SEC game. If JSU isn't playing, I often watch NDSU. The evenings are where I often catch an FBS game. However, I have found myself watching SHSU a lot lately. WatchESPN is the best.

JSUSoutherner
September 11th, 2017, 05:56 PM
WatchESPN is the best.
On the rare occasion it actually works.

POD Knows
September 11th, 2017, 07:06 PM
I watch FBS, don't really have a dog in the fight but I like the emotion of the bigger, rivalry type games. I haven't watched a lame bowl game for a while but I watch all of the FBS Championship games.

cx500d
September 11th, 2017, 07:13 PM
Those people are called douchebags. Have some damn loyalty.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to citdog again.

September 11th, 2017, 07:20 PM
On the rare occasion it actually works.

Really? I have never had any problems with it.

mamberso
September 11th, 2017, 07:47 PM

Other than this weekend, I have rarely had issues with WatchESPN. I have become so spoiled, I get offended when I can't watch a game for which I have interest.

cx500d
September 11th, 2017, 07:53 PM
Other than this weekend, I have rarely had issues with WatchESPN. I have become so spoiled, I get offended when I can't watch a game for which I have interest.

Agreed, this was the first weekend I had issues with ESPN3/WatchESPN...Maybe residual sun spot activity?

ST_Lawson
September 12th, 2017, 10:01 AM

Same here. I remember following Leatherneck football and my only source during away games was the radio. The internet existed when I was an undergrad, but it wasn't beefy enough to handle any kind of video streaming.

Now, it blows my mind when I can't watch practically every FCS game live streaming over the internet. I was getting upset that it was looking like our game at CCU on the 23rd was only going to be available through their paid streaming service, but I just noticed that it's been added to ESPN3, thankfully. So, with ESPN3 doing all the MVFC games, Ohio Valley streaming their games, and PlutoTV handling Big Sky stuff...all of Western's games this season are/were streaming live online.

The quality of that can be suspect sometimes, like TTU's video stream in our first game, but it was at least somewhat available.

fmftballmgr
September 12th, 2017, 02:50 PM
I watch all types of college football. Being that my Racers are never on TV I have to go see them in person. So when I do go to Murray that takes up alot of my other football watching

catbob
September 12th, 2017, 05:45 PM
I mainly watch FCS, I legitimately care more about a top 10 FCS matchup than a top 10 FBS matchup.

JSUSoutherner
September 12th, 2017, 05:54 PM
I often have trouble getting things to even load. And when they do they are like 240p and garbage.

Its not my network because I've tried it multiple places. All of them with 100 Mb down/up speeds. I've also tried it on multiple devices. The ESPN app on Xbox One is the worst piece of software I've ever seen in my life.

It's also not just the little FCS games. I spent about 1.5 quarters of the Ohio State-Indiana game watching a loading/ buffering screen.

Thumper 76
September 12th, 2017, 08:34 PM
I grew up in Wisconsin a huge Badgers fan. Every game was either TV or if we had to split wood it was in the radio in the truck with the windows down. Now I haven't watched an entire FBS game in at least 4-5 years. Not purposely, just more interested in the FCS games and my fantasy football team. Those take up enough of my time.

cx500d
September 12th, 2017, 09:49 PM
I grew up in Wisconsin a huge Badgers fan. Every game was either TV or if we had to split wood it was in the radio in the truck with the windows down. Now I haven't watched an entire FBS game in at least 4-5 years. Not purposely, just more interested in the FCS games and my fantasy football team. Those take up enough of my time.

I knew there was something off about you.

Bisonoline
September 12th, 2017, 10:32 PM
I watch any football that is competitive.

Thumper 76
September 12th, 2017, 10:49 PM
I knew there was something off about you.

Some people have a hard time figuring out why I'm so awesome. Don't worry, you aren't alone.

TheKingpin28
September 13th, 2017, 05:55 AM
Some people have a hard time figuring out why I'm so awesome. Don't worry, you aren't alone.

You drink Miller, you are far from awesome.

milleniumkat
September 13th, 2017, 07:52 AM
i don't watch fbs but not enough top fcs teams have espn deals to allow enough games to be viewed.

UNIFanSince1983
September 13th, 2017, 07:58 AM
I watch way more FBS than FCS at this point. In fact so far this year have not had the opportunity to watch an FCS vs FCS match up at all.

Maybe living in Lincoln has started to poison my mind.

fmftballmgr
September 13th, 2017, 09:24 AM
I am a college football junkie watch both divisions, depending on the match up, But I go to Murray for their home games so my football watching time is cut into

Bison56
September 13th, 2017, 10:12 AM
I only watch FCS games that Jay Walker is not involved in. I will only watch FBS when FCS is not available.

POD Knows
September 13th, 2017, 10:15 AM
I only watch FCS games that Jay Walker is not involved in. I will only watch FBS when FCS is not available.You mean you missed the National Championship game last year in Atlanta when Grambling was crowned the king of D1 football.

Bison56
September 13th, 2017, 10:41 AM
You mean you missed the National Championship game last year in Atlanta when Grambling was crowned the king of D1 football.

Yep I missed the crowning of Grambling winning it's 14th national championship.xdrunkyx

Hammerhead
September 13th, 2017, 07:51 PM
I tend to watch more FCS games later when in the season if there are 2 playoff contenders.