PDA

View Full Version : Albany Football Stadium

Ruler 79
February 2nd, 2007, 03:00 PM
Athletic Director Pledges to Deliver Football Stadium for UAlbany

Athletic Program Success Also Highlighted as McElroy Receives Five-Year Extension

ALBANY, N.Y. (February 2, 2007) -- University at Albany Provost and Officer in Charge Susan Herbst announced that Lee A. McElroy, vice president for athletic administration and director of intercollegiate athletics, received a new five-year appointment running through 2011. McElroy, in his seventh year in charge of university athletics, provides leadership for UAlbany’s NCAA Division I 19-sport intercollegiate athletics program for men and women.

During McElroy’s tenure, UAlbany has won 18 conference championships and made NCAA appearances in men's basketball, men's lacrosse, women's volleyball, softball and men's and women's track and field. In 2004-05, the Great Danes were awarded the Commissioner's Cup as the America East Conference's top athletic program. In 2005-2006, UAlbany’s NCAA academic progress rate (APR) -- the formula NCAA member colleges and universities have adopted to improve academic success and graduation of student athletes -- was above the 90th percentile for the third consecutive year.

McElroy has also worked to renew the men's and women's basketball cross-town rivalry with Siena College, led the development of a master plan to upgrade UAlbany’s athletic and recreational complex, including plans to construct a new stadium for the university’s Division I-AA football team. Fund-raising efforts for the University’s top non-academic project, which will also benefit the Capital Region community, have been initiated.

McElroy was instrumental in securing a $2.75 million commitment from SEFCU to name the university's Recreation and Convocation Center for a 10-year period. The facility, known as the SEFCU Arena, is the home for UAlbany's men's and women's basketball teams.

“It is with great pleasure that I extend a new five-year appointment to Lee as the University at Albany’s vice president for athletic administration and director of intercollegiate athletics,” said Herbst, who also serves as UAlbany’s provost and executive vice president. “Dr. McElroy has been instrumental in overseeing the academic and on-field success of our students, and we are happy he will oversee the next phase of success for the UAlbany Great Danes.”

“The previous seven years have been successful due to the commitment and dedication of student athletes, coaches and staff who achieved academic and athletic excellence while maintaining the highest standards of integrity and public service,” said McElroy. “The future looks brighter due to the support of the faculty, the student body, alumni and the Capital Region community.”

“The continued success of University at Albany athletics has helped to heighten awareness about all this city and region have to offer,” said Hon. Gerald D. Jennings, mayor of Albany. “I congratulate Lee for seven years of excellence and look forward to him continuing to enrich our community as a leader and champion for UAlbany intercollegiate sports.”

“SEFCU’s partnership with UAlbany for SEFCU Arena has helped us create a unique collaboration, bringing together public and private entities to develop programs and events that will enrich the university community and the entire Capital Region.," said Michael J. Castellana, SEFCU's president and CEO. “I am thrilled that Dr. McElroy will continue to help us build our relationship with UAlbany in the coming years.”

McElroy, who is a member of the university's executive committee, spearheaded a successful search for a broad-based athletic conference when the University accepted an invitation to join the America East Conference in the 2001-02 academic year.

McElroy, who serves as president of the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics (NACDA) in 2006-07, was also a key figure as the University successfully completed the NCAA's second cycle of Division I athletics certification. He was honored with the 2004 General Robert R. Neyland Outstanding Athletic Director Award by the All-American Football Foundation.

McElroy, who played football at UCLA in the late 1960s, was previously American University’s director of athletics for four years. American, a Division I school in Washington, D.C., competed in the Colonial Athletic Association. In that period, the AU athletic department upgraded to 19 sports, expanded corporate partners by 400 percent, and planned capital projects for a fitness facility, intramural field and soccer stadium. McElroy founded the Eagle Club, the department’s fundraising arm, and developed a program rated as one of the top ten in the nation in its compliance with NCAA gender equity requirements.

McElroy served as president of the America East Conference Executive Committee in the 2003-04 academic year, and has gained national prominence for his roles with numerous professional organizations and NCAA committees. He served a three-year term on the NCAA Division I Management Council as one of four at-large representatives from I-AA or I-AAA conferences. McElroy previously worked on four prestigious NCAA Committees: Athletics Certification, Financial Aid, Degree Completion Program, and the NCAA Special Committee on Agents and Amateurism.

In 1998, McElroy was named to the NACDA Executive Committee for the University Division, and chair of the Sears Directors Cup Committee. The Sears Directors Cup is the only national award and academic scholarship program to recognize all NCAA and NAIA championship sports for women and men.

From 1989-96, McElroy was the director of athletics at California State University-Sacramento. He led the program’s transition from Division II to Division I and engineered a move to the Big Sky and Big West conferences. He also implemented a strategic plan that developed a corporate partners plan, created an effective fundraising and marketing program, redesigned academic support services, improved the athletic facilities complex, and provided for campus and community outreach programs.

McElroy also worked at the University of Houston from 1981 to 1988 as an assistant director of men’s and women’s sports and as an associate director of athletics, and for one year as the director of athletics at The University of the District of Columbia. Before joining the Houston staff, he taught in the public school systems of Santa Monica, California and Beaumont, Texas, and was a high school principal in Beaumont.

Along with his duties for the NCAA, McElroy has testified before congressional committees on issues in college athletics, such as gender equity, the welfare of the minority student-athlete, and the academic/athletic balance. McElroy serves on the boards of the National Consortium of Academics and Sports, Athletic Business magazine, and the National Minority Golf Association. He is also a fellow at the Institute of Ethics and Sportsmanship at the University of Rhode Island.

McElroy, who resides with his wife, Karen, in Slingerlands, earned his B.S. in political science and history from UCLA in 1970. He later received a M.Ed. from the University of Southern California, and an Ed.D. from the University of Houston.

The University at Albany's broad mission of excellence in undergraduate and graduate education, research and public service engages 17,000 diverse students in 10 schools and colleges, including the Honors College. For more information about this internationally ranked institution, visit www.albany.edu. For UAlbany's extensive roster of faculty experts, visit www.albany.edu/news/experts.htm.

# # #

henfan
February 2nd, 2007, 03:20 PM
Not to bust your stones, Ruler, but did you add that headline about the stadium? The press release appeared to be about McElroy's contract extension, not the stadium. There's really no new news about UA's stadium situation, as McElroy's always been on board with it.
http://www.albany.edu/sports/stories.htm#mcelroy_2007

In fact, I haven't read any news about the proposed stadium plan in nearly 5 months. Where is UA with fundraising? UA seemed to be looking at a 2007 groundbreaking, but had yet to even annouce a fundraising goal. Has the State pledged any support yet?

Green Cookie Monster
February 2nd, 2007, 03:41 PM
McElroy sucked when he was our AD. He gutted the booster club, did nothing to improve really anything and then bolted. Good luck with five more years of this clown.

danefan
February 2nd, 2007, 04:44 PM
Not to bust your stones, Ruler, but did you add that headline about the stadium? The press release appeared to be about McElroy's contract extension, not the stadium. There's really no new news about UA's stadium situation, as McElroy's always been on board with it.
http://www.albany.edu/sports/stories.htm#mcelroy_2007

In fact, I haven't read any news about the proposed stadium plan in nearly 5 months. Where is UA with fundraising? UA seemed to be looking at a 2007 groundbreaking, but had yet to even annouce a fundraising goal. Has the State pledged any support yet?

In defense of UAalumn, he probably just copy and pasted from bigpurplefans.com. The headline is the same on our board, and I thought the same thing after reading it...not much about the stadium in the press release.

However, during the hafltime show of the UA-UMBC Bball game on Wed. McElroy said that fund raising was going better then expected and is still looking to break gournd in 2007. From what I understand, the public funding from the City of Albany and State of NY will come once the private side has come along. We are all still in some sort of confusion as to why no "public" fundraising has been done. But I can attest that there is definitly a lot of private behind the scenes fundraising going on.

danefan
February 2nd, 2007, 04:45 PM
McElroy sucked when he was our AD. He gutted the booster club, did nothing to improve really anything and then bolted. Good luck with five more years of this clown.

Can't speak for Dr. McElroy's job at any other school, but he has done an unbelievable job at Albany.

UAalum72
February 2nd, 2007, 06:23 PM
In defense of UAalumn,

Hey, it wasn't me

The headline came from a release emailed by media relations to various boosters, and was pasted to the BPF forum from there.

danefan
February 2nd, 2007, 07:12 PM
Hey, it wasn't me

The headline came from a release emailed by media relations to various boosters, and was pasted to the BPF forum from there.

Thats what I meant. That you didn't change the headline.

danefan
February 3rd, 2007, 04:49 AM
Today's Times Union article on McElroy and the football stadium:

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=560010&category=SPORTS&newsdate=2/3/2007

The school plans to build a football stadium that is projected to seat 10,000 to 15,000 and cost between $40 million and $50 million.

McElroy said he hopes to break ground by the end of this year or the beginning of next year. He added the stadium could be completed by 2010 or sooner.

The school is still in the process of trying to raise between $5 million and $8 million in private contributions, according to McElroy, with the rest coming from the state and the State University of New York system.

"We still have to get support from the SUNY system and the state for (the stadium) to happen," McElroy said. "I'm ecstatic over the amount of support we're getting from the alumni and the community at this point in the private phase of the campaign."

UAlbany is conducting environmental impact and site analysis studies, expected to be completed by June, that will determine the stadium's location and capacity.

Looks like we won't here or see anything official until after the environmental impact study is done.:hurray:

henfan
February 5th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Sounds like the school is making some momentum towards the project, which is great news for FCS football in the East. The preliminary photo you showed me, Danefan, was very impressive. Seems like the next important step is to actually secure deep pocket donors and support from SUNY and the State.

Del State was in a similar situation two years ago, conducted studies, had impressive plans all drawn up, but couldn't secure funding from the State. That killed the deal.

Hopefully, NY is in a better position to offer support for the UA project than DE was for DSU. Best of luck.:thumbsup:

Fordham
February 5th, 2007, 08:59 AM
there's no way ny is in a better financial position but it really just comes down to whether or not a powerful enough legislator can make this his pet project and push it through ala the Bruno minor league baseball stadium or the Stony Brook field that carries the name of a Long Island rep I believe.

danefan
February 5th, 2007, 11:10 AM
The money from the state will be there. John Ryan - SUNY Chancellor and former Acting President of UAlbany, is behind the project 1000%. Its not only being sold as the Albany football stadium, but more of "the premier outdoor athletic facility in upstate NY". There is nothing of this size or caliber anywhere between New York City and the Canadian border. The Carrier Dome is the only real option, and is overused already. Thats why I think this stadium project will get rubber-stamped in the NYS Legislature. Granted your looking at a $30-40million expense for the state, but the city of Albany is also on board for some $$ which will help offset the state's cost.

We shall see soon enough hopefully.

MplsBison
February 5th, 2007, 11:17 AM
What are the main NY cities on 90? Buff, Roch, Syr, and Alb?

What kind of facilities does Roch have?

Fordham
February 5th, 2007, 11:22 AM
The money from the state will be there. John Ryan - SUNY Chancellor and former Acting President of UAlbany, is behind the project 1000%. Its not only being sold as the Albany football stadium, but more of "the premier outdoor athletic facility in upstate NY". There is nothing of this size or caliber anywhere between New York City and the Canadian border. The Carrier Dome is the only real option, and is overused already. Thats why I think this stadium project will get rubber-stamped in the NYS Legislature. Granted your looking at a $30-40million expense for the state, but the city of Albany is also on board for some $$ which will help offset the state's cost.

We shall see soon enough hopefully.

Dunno, dane. I think it may make Spitzer's arse hang out there a little too much to have this go through after the high profile cuts (e.g. - Medicaid) he's making. What's your expected timeline on this to get approved?

danefan
February 5th, 2007, 11:23 AM
http://www.redwingsbaseball.com/frontierfield/photogal1.html

Only thing I know of in Roch is the baseball stadium, Frontier field.
seats about 12,500 I think.

As far as I know, St John Fisher (DIII) is the largest football facility in the Roch area. The Bills have training camp there.
http://www.ballardsports.com/wall%20photos/Fisher%20Wall%20Photo.jpg

danefan
February 5th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Dunno, dane. I think it may make Spitzer's arse hang out there a little too much to have this go through after the high profile cuts (e.g. - Medicaid) he's making. What's your expected timeline on this to get approved?

From what I keep hearing, State funding will go for approval once the private $$ is secured. $5 to $8 million private funding. They keep saying that ground is going to be broken this year. Dr. McElroy said this Saturday at Albany's winter homecoming. The environmental impact study is in progress, scheduled for completion in June this year. The enviro study was rumored to cost $1mil itself. That money came from somewhere, but who knows where.

The enviro study will determine the site and final design. Something having to do with the water table level in the proposed site.

UAalum72
February 5th, 2007, 01:47 PM
More accurate would be 'between New York City and Montreal', the 300-mile-long I-87 Hudson River-Lake Champlain corridor. The only decent stadium within 75 miles east/west either way is Michie Stadium at West Point.

danefan
February 5th, 2007, 02:36 PM
More accurate would be 'between New York City and Montreal', the 300-mile-long I-87 Hudson River-Lake Champlain corridor. The only decent stadium within 75 miles east/west either way is Michie Stadium at West Point.

Very true. I forgot about Michie Stadium, which is very nice. But not very often used for outside events. I know some pop warner games are played there and the Governer's Bowl was there a few years ago, but no high school games or other events. I don't know if it has something to do with security, which is understandably fierce at West Point.

http://www.armyfootballclub.org/images2/pagepics/jpg/michiestadium.jpg

MplsBison
February 5th, 2007, 02:57 PM
If the CIS schools are ever let in the NCAA, McGill would be a nice addition to the upper NE schools (VT, ME, NH, Alb, etc.)

Of course, I'm sure QT likes the US a lot less than the rest of the provinces.

Dane96
February 5th, 2007, 07:21 PM
The reason there was no public discussion of the stadium was due to McElroy's contract. Once the deal was done, McElroy could openly discuss it (which he has now) and the fundraising efforts.

The deal with SEFCU (2.75mm over 10 years to name the 4600 seat hoop facility) has opened the eyes to MANY NEW DONORS in the corporate realm. Naming rights for the stadium will be secured because of that deal. Private donations are doing very well.

As for Sac State...right...he screwed you guys. Last I remember, you were DII before he got to Sac, then DI when you left. American...he also screwed them, securing new facilities and a move to the Patriot League, something everyone at American wanted. He also screwed Houston where he oversaw the development of Robertson Stadium (the revamp I believe).

This stadium is as good as done. Once the impact study comes...expect a quick announcement. My only hope is for 15K seats. I believe the area has potential for 25k (the design at least) and then some.

The fact that McElroy's press conference revolved around the stadium idea, the fact he discussed it at winter homecoming, the fact that I know of many ALUMNI GIVING LARGE STADIUM DONATIONS were in attendance at Winter Homecoming, the fact that the MAYOR was invited (and spoke) at the press conference....all point to this stadium getting done. I do know that the City is ready to toss in money as well.

henfan
February 6th, 2007, 08:57 AM
American...he also screwed them, securing new facilities and a move to the Patriot League, something everyone at American wanted.

McElroy doesn't deserve credit or blame for the Patriot move. It wasn't his call and didn't happen until after he left AU.

Besides, I'm not sure everyone at American was thrilled by the prospect of moving from a league it helped found (the CAA) to a less competitive Olympic sport league, particularly the coaches and athletes. It was plainly a move done for competitive reasons.

At the time, one athlete defined the move as a "step down for AU athletics." However, the move obviously had support among the admin at American, given the school's overall lack of success in the CAA.

February 7th, 2007, 03:50 AM
very interesting stuff that more people should read... inner workings

Green Cookie Monster
February 7th, 2007, 09:59 AM
McElroy had absolutely nothing to do with the move to DI for Sac State. He was a body while the transisition was taking place. Glad he has worked out for you though.

Dane96
February 7th, 2007, 10:18 AM
HE HAD EVERYTHING TO DO WITH THAT MOVE.

You show me nothing with this post. Personally, I am not a bang the drums McElroy guy simply because I have not met him for a long enough period to know the man.

However, knowing what goes into a move to DI I will say this: It's easier to VOTE for DI then make THE ACTUAL TRANSISTION.

The man guided Sac State through the transistion...PERIOD end of story. That requires lots of contacts, lots of scheduling, lots of securing of private funds, lots of hiring of coaches, etc, etc, etc.

IBUILDING THE FOUNDATION--T IS THE HARDEST PART OF MOVING DI

Green Cookie Monster
February 7th, 2007, 12:10 PM
HE HAD EVERYTHING TO DO WITH THAT MOVE.

You show me nothing with this post. Personally, I am not a bang the drums McElroy guy simply because I have not met him for a long enough period to know the man.

However, knowing what goes into a move to DI I will say this: It's easier to VOTE for DI then make THE ACTUAL TRANSISTION.

The man guided Sac State through the transistion...PERIOD end of story. That requires lots of contacts, lots of scheduling, lots of securing of private funds, lots of hiring of coaches, etc, etc, etc.

IBUILDING THE FOUNDATION--T IS THE HARDEST PART OF MOVING DI

And the foundation he built was made of paper mache. What did he build? What did he endow? Who did he hire? All failures and over 15 years later Sac State is finally making the transition to DI.

He took the Stinger Booster foundation and dis-banded it! He hired horrible basketball coaches and kept all facilities at the D2 level.

I worked with him and it was all about padding his resume.

Like I said, glad it is working out for you. I am not impressed with him.

danefan
February 8th, 2007, 09:46 AM
From the Fall Sports Newsletter just received.

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/4530/uastadiumah4.jpg

From McElroy:
"The Football Stadium Complex is progressing at a rapid rate. The Capital District and Metro New York Steering Committees are generating significant private support. The environmental impact and site analysis will begin later this spring. The large amount of enthusiasm and support from the public has been encouraging as we move forward. The University has identified the Football Stadium Complex as the #1 non-academic priority. I strongly encourage your support for this initiative."

February 8th, 2007, 09:57 AM
...15 years later Sac State is finally making the transition to DI...When did Sac State move to D-I? I know the Hornets started in the old I-AA in '93. Albany started in the old I-AA in '99. Sweeeeeeeeeeet looking stadium danefan!

footballman65
February 8th, 2007, 10:02 AM
From the Fall Sports Newsletter just received.

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/4530/uastadiumah4.jpg

From McElroy:
"The Football Stadium Complex is progressing at a rapid rate. The Capital District and Metro New York Steering Committees are generating significant private support. The environmental impact and site analysis will begin later this spring. The large amount of enthusiasm and support from the public has been encouraging as we move forward. The University has identified the Football Stadium Complex as the #1 non-academic priority. I strongly encourage your support for this initiative."

that is going to be one nice stadium

Dane96
February 8th, 2007, 10:06 AM
From what I understand, the thing is expandable to at least 25k, if not more. Location will define size. With the growth at UA in all sports, I would have to think this would be (with full schollys) the final piece in place to make UA attractive in any conference reorg.

aceinthehole
February 8th, 2007, 10:27 AM
UA fans,

That looks great! I am very impressed - it looks first rate. With the new arena at QU and now this, I'm kinda getting jealous of our conference peers. :) Good luck and hopefully CCSU will have some public concept plans in the near future too.

Any idea on when groundbreaking would begin and when completion is expected?

danefan
February 8th, 2007, 10:35 AM
UA fans,

That looks great! I am very impressed - it looks first rate. With the new arena at QU and now this, I'm kinda getting jealous of our conference peers. :) Good luck and hopefully CCSU will have some public concept plans in the near future too.

Any idea on when groundbreaking would begin and when completion is expected?

They are still saying groundbreaking is supposed to begin by the end of this year. But there is a lot that needs to get done before we know for sure. Once the break ground, the last estimate I heard was 12-18 months for completion. Once again though, construction time lines are shaky at best.

MplsBison
February 8th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Looks a lot like UC Davis.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
February 8th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Where on campus will it be located? Is that the RACC beyond that end zone?

Dane96
February 8th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Not sure. They are completing the environmental impact study. Orignal plans call for the RACC. We do have a large field area in two spots. We could also put it on the Harriman State Campus (state agencies), but unlikely.

Dane96
February 8th, 2007, 10:48 AM
The building you see is the new academic center, weight room, coaches offices, etc.

mainejeff
February 8th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Looks great.....and to think that many fans were laughing at me a few years ago when I said Albany and Stony Brook were going to be players on the I-AA scene..........

MplsBison
February 8th, 2007, 11:13 AM
I'd love to see Albany play Buffalo once you get up to 63!

Pard4Life
February 8th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Wow! That is an awesome design.. but looks bigger than 10-15k. In the back of their mind, Albany seems to be thinking about I-A. It also seems to match UMass in terms of size and scope.

Hey Pards, can you schedule UA? It'd be nice trip coming back from Vermont Labor Day weekend! :rotateh:

danefan
February 8th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Wow! That is an awesome design.. but looks bigger than 10-15k. In the back of their mind, Albany seems to be thinking about I-A. It also seems to match UMass in terms of size and scope.

Hey Pards, can you schedule UA? It'd be nice trip coming back from Vermont Labor Day weekend! :rotateh:

That design may be more than 15,000. It may start off with only one side having a second level. But I'm just purely speculating on that issue. I know they are saying that whatever gets built will be expandable to the 25,000 to 30,000 level if we need it.

letsgopards04
February 9th, 2007, 07:37 AM
I would love a UAlbany v Lafayette game as I am from the Albany area and I respect UAlbany for running a good program.

Dane96
February 9th, 2007, 11:54 PM
More news...and support from the CITY!!!! The second article gives some more dates. It looks like the big announcement will be in may...and the school, from what I hear, is getting great support from the business community.

Also, it is great to hear the naming could be after Bob Ford.

http://www.fox23news.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=d37cf3c8-e976-4ebf-835b-b8510e3b1b49

Two pages on this one:

http://media.www.albanystudentpress.org/media/storage/paper1019/news/2007/01/29/Sports/Update.Mcelroy.Inks.New.Deal-2694598.shtml?sourcedomain=www.albanystudentpress. org&MIIHost=media.collegepublisher.com