PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Week #2 Pick 'em

The Cats
September 3rd, 2017, 10:35 AM
Week 1 is in the books, now it's time to look at week #2. There is only one Thursday night game, and 7 are set for Saturday.

Make your picks, and give us your power rankings.....

Thursday, Sept. 7
West Alabama at Samford

Saturday, Sept. 9
Elon at Furman
Catawba at VMI
Wofford at Mercer
Davidson at Western Carolina
ETSU at James Madison
Presbyterian at The Citadel
Chattanooga at LSU

----------------------------------

my picks, winner in bold

Thursday, Sept. 7
West Alabama at Samford

Saturday, Sept. 9
Elon at Furman - At home, Furman take care of business
Catawba at VMI - Keydets romp
Wofford at Mercer - With the opener under their belt, the Terriers out to prove something
Davidson at Western Carolina - After a short week, the Cats regroup
ETSU at James Madison - too bad for the ETSU team
Presbyterian at The Citadel - The Bulldogs inflict pain
Chattanooga at LSU - The Mocs are 0-2, can you say beatdown?

Week 2 Power Ranking
1. Wofford - Till someone beats them
2. Samford - Like WCU, work on defense
3. Mercer - Moving up in the world
4. Furman - Making believers out of the SoCon
5. The Citadel - Wasn't impressive against D2 team
6. Chattanooga - my how the powerful fall
7. ETSU - Also wasn't impressive against a D2 team, but won
8. WCU - Special Teams and Defense need lots of work - Is Speir taking coaching advice from Hatcher?
9. VMI - Till you win

kdinva
September 3rd, 2017, 10:39 AM
Thursday, Sept. 7
West Alabama 13 at Samford 42

Saturday, Sept. 9
Elon 13 at Furman 35
Catawba 21 at VMI 34
Wofford 30 at Mercer 20
Davidson 14 at Western Carolina 38
ETSU 10 at James Madison 42
Presbyterian 12 at The Citadel 42
Chattanooga 13 at LSU 49

JSUSoutherner
September 3rd, 2017, 10:45 AM
Thursday, Sept. 7
West Alabama at Samford

Saturday, Sept. 9
Elon at Furman
Catawba at VMI
Wofford at Mercer
ETSU at James Madison
Chattanooga at LSU

youcanbankit
September 3rd, 2017, 11:09 AM
Projected Winner in BOLD

Thursday, Sept. 7
West Alabama at Samford

Saturday, Sept. 9
Elon at Furman
Catawba at VMI
Wofford at Mercer
ETSU at James Madison
Chattanooga at LSU

Reign of Terrier
September 3rd, 2017, 11:25 AM
Samford
Furman
VMI
wofford (close one, game of the week)
Western carolina
Jimmy Mad
The citadel
LSU

PaladinFan
September 3rd, 2017, 11:56 AM
Wofford draws the short stick with back to back conference games. Mercer also gets an extra two days of rest/practice having played on Thursday.

If Wofford knocks Mercer around, I may have to reconsider my expectations on Furman's season.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know much about Elon other than they run the ball more than they used to, have a new head coach, stunk last season, and got blown out by Toledo in Week 1.

Anyone seen them?

OL FU
September 3rd, 2017, 11:57 AM
Week 1 is in the books, now it's time to look at week #2. There is only one Thursday night game, and 7 are set for Saturday.

Make your picks, and give us your power rankings.....

Thursday, Sept. 7
West Alabama at Samford

Saturday, Sept. 9
Elon at Furman
Catawba at VMI
Wofford at Mercer
ETSU at James Madison
Chattanooga at LSU

----------------------------------

my picks, winner in bold

Thursday, Sept. 7
West Alabama at Samford

Saturday, Sept. 9
Elon at Furman
Catawba at VMI
Wofford at Mercer
ETSU at James Madison
Chattanooga at LSU

I'll save some typing and just say ditto.

ElCid
September 3rd, 2017, 12:03 PM
Wofford draws the short stick with back to back conference games. Mercer also gets an extra two days of rest/practice having played on Thursday.

If Wofford knocks Mercer around, I may have to reconsider my expectations on Furman's season.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know much about Elon other than they run the ball more than they used to, have a new head coach, stunk last season, and got blown out by Toledo in Week 1.

Anyone seen them?

Just reviewed their game with Toledo. You guys should bounce these SOCON rejects pretty easily. No defense and an anemic offense.

kymoc91
September 3rd, 2017, 12:50 PM
Here are my picks:
Samford
Furman
VMI
Merced
Western Carolina
James Madison
THE Citadel
LSU

Reign of Terrier
September 3rd, 2017, 01:10 PM
Furman fans should not shortchange their team. Though losing Woodruff sucks, they still have a stout defense. More importantly they run a unique offense that will be hard to prepare for. The mistakes Furman made on offense this past week had to do, in my opinion, with first game jitters (a couple drops) and offensive strategy (a couple balls thrown behind receivers because they were trying to offset our advantages up front by running rollouts--QB feet weren't set).

So Furman didn't play their best game offensively and they still almost pulled off the upset. Furman is a good team (even if wofford didn't play our best) and should beat Elon.

PaladinFan
September 3rd, 2017, 01:27 PM
Furman fans should not shortchange their team. Though losing Woodruff sucks, they still have a stout defense. More importantly they run a unique offense that will be hard to prepare for. The mistakes Furman made on offense this past week had to do, in my opinion, with first game jitters (a couple drops) and offensive strategy (a couple balls thrown behind receivers because they were trying to offset our advantages up front by running rollouts--QB feet weren't set).

So Furman didn't play their best game offensively and they still almost pulled off the upset. Furman is a good team (even if wofford didn't play our best) and should beat Elon.

I liked the offense. A lot of folks lumped Furman in with "option" offenses. While a lot of the formations are option formations, and Furman did run some option, the Paladins are going to throw it a whole lot more than most option teams (24 attempts yesterday). They'll probably end up running it more against less-stout run defenses than Wofford.

Furman's defense was about what I expected. Stingy, good tacklers, but not necessarily deep. Lot of the same guys rotated in there all game, and it started to show late. This will be a defense that should thrive, though, if Furman's offense can put up some points and they can just get after it.

Losing Woodruff is a tough blow. He's been a real team guy for a number of years. Furman does have some good looking freshmen at linebacker built in the old-Furman linebacker mold (big run stuffers). I guess those guys just got fasttracked.

I do think that Wofford is probably the best FCS defense we will see. Once the guys get comfortable with the system and the defenses get a little softer, I think the offense will look pretty good. At bottom, though, its encouraging for the future. One recruiting class, only 10 seniors (now 9), and the team looks significantly better after one game.

PaladinFan
September 3rd, 2017, 01:29 PM
Just reviewed their game with Toledo. You guys should bounce these SOCON rejects pretty easily. No defense and an anemic offense.

I know Toledo is supposed to be the best MAC team, but I don't know how good that is supposed to be.

kymoc91
September 3rd, 2017, 02:42 PM
Thursday, Sept. 7
Samford

Saturday, Sept. 9
Furman
VMI
Mercer
Western Carolina
James Madison
The Citadel
LSU

bonarae
September 3rd, 2017, 06:12 PM
Samford
Furman
VMI
Wofford
WCU
JMU
The Citadel
LSU

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

OrangeAndBlack
September 3rd, 2017, 07:46 PM
Thursday, Sept. 7
West Alabama at Samford

Saturday, Sept. 9
Elon at Furman
Catawba at VMI
Wofford at Mercer
ETSU at James Madison
Chattanooga at LSU

Going for the home teams sweep!The only 'game' on the list this week is Wofford/Mercer. The others seem lopsided.

Reign of Terrier
September 3rd, 2017, 07:57 PM
I liked the offense. A lot of folks lumped Furman in with "option" offenses. While a lot of the formations are option formations, and Furman did run some option, the Paladins are going to throw it a whole lot more than most option teams (24 attempts yesterday). They'll probably end up running it more against less-stout run defenses than Wofford.

Furman's defense was about what I expected. Stingy, good tacklers, but not necessarily deep. Lot of the same guys rotated in there all game, and it started to show late. This will be a defense that should thrive, though, if Furman's offense can put up some points and they can just get after it.

Losing Woodruff is a tough blow. He's been a real team guy for a number of years. Furman does have some good looking freshmen at linebacker built in the old-Furman linebacker mold (big run stuffers). I guess those guys just got fasttracked.

I do think that Wofford is probably the best FCS defense we will see. Once the guys get comfortable with the system and the defenses get a little softer, I think the offense will look pretty good. At bottom, though, its encouraging for the future. One recruiting class, only 10 seniors (now 9), and the team looks significantly better after one game.

Yeah it was apparent on the drive we fumbled that Furman was gassed. I wanna say we held the ball for 8 more minutes than Furman with most of that happening in the second half

BearDownMU
September 3rd, 2017, 08:05 PM
Reading these is about 100 times more interesting when people give some analysis with their picks.

PaladinFan
September 3rd, 2017, 09:20 PM
Yeah it was apparent on the drive we fumbled that Furman was gassed. I wanna say we held the ball for 8 more minutes than Furman with most of that happening in the second half

I don't disagree with that. The downside to running an uptempo offense against a team like Wofford is that you run the risk of not giving your defense enough time to take a break between drives.

I should also mention Furman committed only two penalties, and I could live with both. One was a very iffy holding call behind the runner on a touchdown run (even the Wofford announcers said it wasn't a hold). The other was a pass interference call on an underthrown ball.

Furman showing signs of discipline, execution and toughness. A lot of things that were missing under Bruce Fowler.

cx500d
September 3rd, 2017, 09:22 PM
Samford
Furman
VMI
Wofford
Western Carolina
James Madison
The Citadel
LSU

NorthChuckSouth
September 3rd, 2017, 10:30 PM
West Alabama at Samford
Elon at Furman
Catawba at VMI
Wofford at Mercer
ETSU at James Madison
Presbyterian at The Citadel xcoffeex
Chattanooga at LSU

CID1990
September 4th, 2017, 12:01 AM
Thursday, Sept. 7
West Alabama 13 at Samford 42

Saturday, Sept. 9
Elon 13 at Furman 35
Catawba 21 at VMI 34
Wofford 30 at Mercer 20
Davidson 14 at Western Carolina 38
ETSU 10 at James Madison 42
Presbyterian 12 at The Citadel 42
Chattanooga 13 at LSU 49

I didn't see anything in our game with Newberry to suggest that we are going to beat PC that badly

I'm guessing about a 10 point spread - and if they are within one score late in the game it could go either way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElCid
September 4th, 2017, 12:07 AM
Week 2 Power Ranking
1. Wofford - prevailed against an apparently revitalized Paladin team
2. Samford - Struggled a bit against a determined Kennesaw State team, but still a formidable presence
3. The Citadel - A little wonky at times in the execution, but new starters settled down
4. Furman - Might have found some magic, but time will tell
5. Chattanooga - Defense kept them close against JSU; they may have QB issues for a bit
6. Mercer - Had little issue against Jacksonville...but it was Jacksonville; we will know more after this coming week
7. WCU - I hate to use the term, "it was closer than the score indicated," but against Hawaii, it really was; they out gained them; if they had a kicker and/or better special teams overall...they could have won
8. ETSU - They got win #1 in their new stadium...but it was Limestone; I want to say we will know more after next week...but we probably won't...against JMU
9. VMI - Woe be to the poor Keydets; AF bombed them mercilessly

West Alabama at Samford - Shouldn't have much to worry about, but WA is a good team and they have a decent rush defensexlolx....still - 41-13
Elon at Furman - I got a feeling Furman is going to roll; they got to have some good vibes right now - 41-17
Catawba at VMI - The Keydets need a big win, but they are shell shocked - 27-10
Wofford at Mercer - I am sure the Mercer faithful think this may be their break through game; alas no, the Terriers are not Dolphins - 31-23
Davidson at Western Carolina - If the jet lag doesn't take a toll, or if they don't have to kick any FGs, WCU will put it together nicely - 49-10
ETSU at James Madison - Ouch; good game for the ETSU folks, but it may be brutal; hopefully Houston calls off the Dukes - 56-0
Presbyterian at The Citadel - PC hasn't beat the Dogs since Carter was President; not going to happen this week either, but how much the Dogs win by depends on how much better the O-line does than it did this past week - 34-9
Chattanooga at LSU​ - Last and only time these teams met, LSU eked out a 26-19 win...but Bill Hailey and the Comets and their "Shake, Rattle, and Roll" was in the Billboard top 40; Mocs got some rest after their early game against JSU so they might put up a good fight...for a quarter or two...and if their SEC transfer QB settles down a bit faster than he did against JSU; their defense is still pretty stout, but...it won't matter - 45-7

woffordgrad94
September 4th, 2017, 09:09 AM
1. Wofford- got some work to do on pass defense
2. The Citadel- a game vs. Newberry tells us little
3. Samford- Kennesaw State was a tougher opponent and more solid win than soome think
4. Chattanooga- look to be down a bit at the present time, but it's early
5. Furman- have seeds sown for good future
6. Mercer- beating Terriers would be elusive signature win for program
7. WCU- still much to prove
8. ETSU- a game vs. Limestone tells us little
9. VMI- a seemingly endless work in progress

Samford over West Alabama 45-17
Furman over Elon 35-14
VMI over Catawba 37-24
Wofford over Mercer 38-28
WCU over Davidson 49-7
JMU over ETSU 42-10
LSU over Chattanooga 45-14

JSUSoutherner
September 4th, 2017, 09:17 AM
Furman
VMI
Wofford
WCU
JMU
El Cid
LSU

1.) Wofford- Not sure whether they slid or Furman is good this year but I'll give Furman the benefit of the doubt.
2.) El Cid- Meh game against a JV High school team. Don't disappoint me this week.
3.) UTC- If they can make it until Bennifield is back, watch out.
4.) Samford- Learn. To. Play. Defense.
5.) Furman- Another good showing could boost them more.
6.) Mercer- Yup. They are in the SoCon.
7.) WCU- At least they got a good band.
8.) ETSU
9.) VMI

PaladinFan
September 4th, 2017, 09:44 AM
Furman
VMI
Wofford
WCU
JMU
El Cid
LSU

1.) Wofford- Not sure whether they slid or Furman is good this year but I'll give Furman the benefit of the doubt.
2.) El Cid- Meh game against a JV High school team. Don't disappoint me this week.
3.) UTC- If they can make it until Bennifield is back, watch out.
4.) Samford- Learn. To. Play. Defense.
5.) Furman- Another good showing could boost them more.
6.) Mercer- Yup. They are in the SoCon.
7.) WCU- At least they got a good band.
8.) ETSU
9.) VMI

I think Wofford is probably as advertised. They returned a bunch of players off a deep playoff team.

The defense is tough, but struggled a bit in pass coverage. I don't know how much to read into that because Wofford has struggled to defense PJ Blazejowski a few times before. He's a tough matchup for them. I do think they are going to have to sort out some of those issues against good passing teams.

Offensively, I think Goodson is probably the best throwing QB Wofford has had in a long time. He's got an arm and has good protection from his line. There are a couple receivers that can go get it.

In the backfield, I did not get the impression that anyone will mistake their two fullbacks (Nelson and Stoddard) for Britenstien or Long. They bully the ball up the middle but are not as creative as their predecessors. I will say that the "A" backs are as fast and shifty as I can remember in the Wofford backfield. There are a couple guys that can hit the hole and get downfield quickly.

FUBeAR
September 4th, 2017, 10:20 AM
Li'l help, please. I'm looking to understand what y'all mean by "signature win" & "breakthrough game" & similar phrases that I keep seeing applied to the Woffy @ Mercer game this week.

Mercer beat #3-Ranked Chattanooga in 2015 and was the only SoCon Team to beat the Mocs in a 2 year span.

Why would a win over Woffy this Saturday be any more signature-ish or breakthrough-ish than that win was?

I get that it's a big & important game (for both teams), but I just don't see how a single win in this game would validate or a single loss would delegitimize Mercer's Football program. Again, if that win over Chatt in 2015 didn't provide (this elusive) validation, why would a win in this game?

SU DOG
September 4th, 2017, 11:41 AM
Word of warning here about West AL. This is a very talented D-2 team, ranked in the top 20, with 19 starters returning. Just ask the SFA Lumberjacks, who managed only a 6 point win over these Tigers last year. They have several FBS xfers including some from the SEC. Like most in-state games they will be more than usually hyped up for this one. YES, we should beat a D2, even a good one, but predicting a huge point spread for Samford might not be wise.

SAMFORD - By 12 points, although I hope for much more.
Furman - Very impressive even in a loss loss last week.
VMI - Hopefully will look much better than they did at AFA.
Wofford - Looked like they missed Lorenzo Long last week, but will probably win a close one at Mercer.
WCU - I thought the Cats played pretty good at Hawaii, but shot themselves out of a chance to win.
JMU - ETSU not to that level yet.
The Citadel - Against Newberry, these Bulldogs didn't really seem to be the machine I saw last year. PC, however, is so bad that it won't be close.
LSU - We still won't know much about the Mocs after this laugher.

Reign of Terrier
September 4th, 2017, 01:27 PM
I think Wofford is probably as advertised. They returned a bunch of players off a deep playoff team.

The defense is tough, but struggled a bit in pass coverage. I don't know how much to read into that because Wofford has struggled to defense PJ Blazejowski a few times before. He's a tough matchup for them. I do think they are going to have to sort out some of those issues against good passing teams.

Offensively, I think Goodson is probably the best throwing QB Wofford has had in a long time. He's got an arm and has good protection from his line. There are a couple receivers that can go get it.

In the backfield, I did not get the impression that anyone will mistake their two fullbacks (Nelson and Stoddard) for Britenstien or Long. They bully the ball up the middle but are not as creative as their predecessors. I will say that the "A" backs are as fast and shifty as I can remember in the Wofford backfield. There are a couple guys that can hit the hole and get downfield quickly.

Furman ran a lot of play action rollout passes. Our pass defense is always weaker than our run defense, and when our pass defense is good, it's usually because of the applied pressure of the run defense. Notice that when Furman did drop-back passes, we were able to get pressure (notably on the last drive of the first half), but not-so-much when they did the rollouts. That's partly by design and partly because of EB's mobility (though I personally think he was cross the line on that one long pass play in the third quarter). As good as that strategy was by the Furman staff, it did have its drawbacks: EB threw a few balls behind his receivers and I think that's because his feet weren't set or he was throwing on the run.

I bring this up not to excuse our defense, but just to point out that I think you would see any defense struggle defending those plays (you can't get pressure and your defensive backs have to play a particularly tight coverage). It was a successful strategy, but it wasn't as perfectly executed as it could have been (and that may have been the difference).

So, yeah, that particular strategy I can definitely see working, but I don't see many Socon teams pulling it off. Samford doesn't run well enough (they'll get their pass yardage one way or another), Citadel doesn't pass it well enough and Chattanooga is a down-hill run team (I could see them going that route given their questions on OL).

Ironically, I think Mercer is the most likely team to try to reproduce this gameplan (I think they ran some roll outs last year). We'll see how they do this week.

PaladinNation
September 4th, 2017, 01:41 PM
I'll also throw in my POV that I think Wofford is the class of the SoCon. I think if you play straight up against their D line you're going to get some intense pressure on your QB. PJ IMO is the best dual threat QB in the SoCon, time will tell. Gordon was a difficult matchup for Wofford and will be for any team, same goes for Morehead out of the backfield.

I can't tell you guys how awesome it is to see an exciting Furman team that's actually fun to watch and not boring. At times Furman and Wofford looked similar, except Furman shows a lot more eye candy; all the o-lineman drop their hand at the QB's bark (love that) we will have some serious line play in the future when all these young hogs grow up, lots of motion from the wings, and the running backs, excellently executed fakes from the QB. The multiple offensive sets look good and appeared to be designed well to exploit matchups, Furman missed on some dropped passes and some thrown behind the receiver, when Furman gets all this stuff clicking, that's going to be a potent balanced offense.

The Dins have serious depth issues, but the starting 22 is going to be a tough out. I love the rotation of running backs.

Reign of Terrier
September 4th, 2017, 01:54 PM
Li'l help, please. I'm looking to understand what y'all mean by "signature win" & "breakthrough game" & similar phrases that I keep seeing applied to the Woffy @ Mercer game this week.

Mercer beat #3-Ranked Chattanooga in 2015 and was the only SoCon Team to beat the Mocs in a 2 year span.

Why would a win over Woffy this Saturday be any more signature-ish or breakthrough-ish than that win was?

I get that it's a big & important game (for both teams), but I just don't see how a single win in this game would validate or a single loss would delegitimize Mercer's Football program. Again, if that win over Chatt in 2015 didn't provide (this elusive) validation, why would a win in this game?

Flag on the play: selective sampling and deceptive framing. Half the distance to the goal.

A more accurate way of putting it is that Mercer was the only team to beat Chattanooga in 2015. That's an accomplishment enough; playing up the Moc's strength in this sense is superfluous though. Otherwise, you could say Wofford, the Citadel and Mercer were the only three teams to beat Chatt in three years, which is statistically irrelevant and perhaps overhyped. Saying anything about any team using one data point over the course of a short period (3 years isn't enough to say much IMO) Allows anyone to play up any bad or good feat they think useful for their narrative.

When it comes to legitimizing or delegitimizing a football program...that's not really done on a message board.

Quite Frankly: Mercer is a good team, one that can beat and will be competitive with any team they play (especially at home). They're like Furman in that I know my team can beat them, but I also know it can and will be close.

As for signature wins or breakout wins: it's too early in the season for that kind of talk on any front. What defines a breakthrough or signature win for a team isn't the individual win, but the win in the context of other program factors. Wofford beating Georgia Southern in 2003 (@ Paulson stadium, Wofford coming off a first-time in division one 9-3 year) in the early part of the year was a breakthrough game (we won the Socon that year, undefeated). There are probably instances in which Chattanooga, Samford or the Citadel had one of those games in the last few years (same with GSU when they brought back the option) as well.

But when it comes to Mercer, until they can put together a body of work outside of a few outlier games (2015 Chattanooga), every game they win against a forecast-to-be-better-team is an upset, not a breakthrough game. Mercer is 7-15 in Socon Play since joining the conference in 2014. They had a good year last year, breaking even at 4-4, but they've only won one game against a team with a winning record in conference play since joining the conference.

None of this has any bearing on whether or not Wofford or Mercer will win Saturday, but the difference between breakthrough games and upsets is the amount of W's you can put on your resume. Admittedly, teams like Furman, Samford, and Wofford will have more leniency in criticism because they have somewhat successful histories. But Mercer is still reviving their program and we have no point of reference for a program aggregate of performance, and probably won't have a reliable one until 5 or so years from now

PaladinFan
September 4th, 2017, 02:03 PM
Went back and watched Furman's two point play against Wofford. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99VNGCU18Rs&t=465s (8:13 mark).

I don't love the call, but I hate it a lot less after watching it.

When Blazejowski walks to the sideline, the entire Wofford defense relaxes. Tyler Vaughan is actually kneeling when the ball is snapped. Furman's freshman RT, from my view, blocked the wrong man. He blocked down, but ran past the DE. He probably would have buried Vaughan on that play (who was not even prepared for the snap).

If Furman gets Vaughan blocked, the OLB had vacated the zone, the CB slipped, and Rivera (who makes the pick) would not have been able to run parallel to the passer, but would have had to attack him. Not saying Furman would have converted the play, but the odds of doing so would have been much higher.

BearDownMU
September 4th, 2017, 02:12 PM
PJ IMO is the best dual threat QB in the SoCon, time will tell.

Tyrie Adams might take exception to this idea. lol

OpTimeGuy
September 4th, 2017, 02:28 PM
Thursday, Sept 7
West Alabama at Samford

Saturday, Sept. 9

Elon at Furman
Catawba at VMI
Wofford at Mercer
ETSU at James Madison
Chattanooga at LSU

I think most of these are pretty easy picks. As to ETSU....Limestone averaged 4.2 yards per rush and won the time of possession. I understand that a lot of that was in the second half. I just an not happy with what I saw from ETSU. We came out went straight down the field and scored, but after that our usual "we don't show up for the first quarter" then took over. Against an inferior ECU team, JMU averaged over 9 yards a carry. In our first season back we went up to Montana and lost like 63-7. I look for much the same result this weekend.

1) Wofford
2) The Citadel
3) Samford
4) Furman
5) UTC
6) Mercer
7) WCU
9) ETSU
9) VMI

ElCid
September 4th, 2017, 02:33 PM
Flag on the play: selective sampling and deceptive framing. Half the distance to the goal.....

Overall, I thought that that was a real good analysis, but I would view it slightly different. The 2015 game against Chatty was one that nobody really expected Mercer to win. Maybe in their own mind, but the Bears were still a bit young as a program and inexperienced. Plus, it was late in the season with Chatty obviously looking ahead to the next week. But low and behold they pulled the upset. Fast forward to this week. They are past that now. This game, against Wofford, is early the season. They are up against the expected conference leader. Mercer is a good team and they could very well expect to win a few even as the underdog. They need to start winning these types of games and not just surprise a good team every couple years. For these reasons, I consider this a breakout game for them. I realize these are shades of gray, but there is a difference. If they lose they are not delegitimized at all, but if they win,......they get their spurs for keeps.

FUBeAR
September 4th, 2017, 02:36 PM
Flag on the play: selective sampling and deceptive framing. Half the distance to the goal.

A more accurate way of putting it is that Mercer was the only team to beat Chattanooga in 2015. That's an accomplishment enough; playing up the Moc's strength in this sense is superfluous though. Otherwise, you could say Wofford, the Citadel and Mercer were the only three teams to beat Chatt in three years, which is statistically irrelevant and perhaps overhyped. Saying anything about any team using one data point over the course of a short period (3 years isn't enough to say much IMO) Allows anyone to play up any bad or good feat they think useful for their narrative.

When it comes to legitimizing or delegitimizing a football program...that's not really done on a message board.

Quite Frankly: Mercer is a good team, one that can beat and will be competitive with any team they play (especially at home). They're like Furman in that I know my team can beat them, but I also know it can and will be close.

As for signature wins or breakout wins: it's too early in the season for that kind of talk on any front. What defines a breakthrough or signature win for a team isn't the individual win, but the win in the context of other program factors. Wofford beating Georgia Southern in 2003 (@ Paulson stadium, Wofford coming off a first-time in division one 9-3 year) in the early part of the year was a breakthrough game (we won the Socon that year, undefeated). There are probably instances in which Chattanooga, Samford or the Citadel had one of those games in the last few years (same with GSU when they brought back the option) as well.

But when it comes to Mercer, until they can put together a body of work outside of a few outlier games (2015 Chattanooga), every game they win against a forecast-to-be-better-team is an upset, not a breakthrough game. Mercer is 7-15 in Socon Play since joining the conference in 2014. They had a good year last year, breaking even at 4-4, but they've only won one game against a team with a winning record in conference play since joining the conference.

None of this has any bearing on whether or not Wofford or Mercer will win Saturday, but the difference between breakthrough games and upsets is the amount of W's you can put on your resume. Admittedly, teams like Furman, Samford, and Wofford will have more leniency in criticism because they have somewhat successful histories. But Mercer is still reviving their program and we have no point of reference for a program aggregate of performance, and probably won't have a reliable one until 5 or so years from now

Not sure about the "penalty flag" because I was referencing a single game; just as my question referenced a single game. I don't see how the way you framed that win is right and how I framed it is wrong. If both statements are true, then either seems fine to me...but, anyway... not the point.

i think in the abundancy of your response I do see an answer to the question I asked:

"As for signature wins or breakout wins: it's too early in the season for that kind of talk on any front. What defines a breakthrough or signature win for a team isn't the individual win, but the win in the context of other program factors."

So...

1) as far as this season goes, no one, at this point, should be looking at ANY game as a game that 'defines' a Team yet.

2) a 'signature win' can only be accurately viewed as such from a future perspective within the context of prior & subsequent events. For example, let's say if Mercer had followed up that win over #3 ranked & SoCon dominating Chattanooga & the win over Furman the following week with a win over Samford to finish that season 6-5/3-4 and then won the SoCon in 2016, then people COULD point to that win over Chatt as a 'signature win.' Right?

IF that's what you are saying, then I'd say "Thanks for helping me understand what is meant by those terms. I agree with you. That makes perfect sense."

...and I would add that about all we'll really know next Saturday night is that the 2017 Mercer Team was able to beat the 2017 Wofford Team on 9/9/17...or vice versa. We can certainly draw some additional inferences about how the SoCon race will progress, the quality of each Team, and the trends of the Programs.

All that's cool, but a win or a loss for Mercer on Saturday, while important, is not monumentous beyond that.

SU DOG
September 4th, 2017, 03:31 PM
Tyrie Adams might take exception to this idea. lol

Tyrie Adams is head and shoulders above anyone else in this category. Bennifield is the only possible challenger, IMO, and we will have to wait and see.

Milktruck74
September 4th, 2017, 04:20 PM
Samford
Furman
VMI
Wofford
Western Carolina
James Madison
Citadel
LSU

Week 2 Power Ranking
1. Wofford
2. Citadel
3. Mocs
4. Furman
5. Samford
6. Mercer
7. WCU
8. ETSU
9. VMI

Reign of Terrier
September 4th, 2017, 04:53 PM
Not sure about the "penalty flag" because I was referencing a single game; just as my question referenced a single game. I don't see how the way you framed that win is right and how I framed it is wrong. If both statements are true, then either seems fine to me...but, anyway... not the point.

i think in the abundancy of your response I do see an answer to the question I asked:

"As for signature wins or breakout wins: it's too early in the season for that kind of talk on any front. What defines a breakthrough or signature win for a team isn't the individual win, but the win in the context of other program factors."

So...

1) as far as this season goes, no one, at this point, should be looking at ANY game as a game that 'defines' a Team yet.

2) a 'signature win' can only be accurately viewed as such from a future perspective within the context of prior & subsequent events. For example, let's say if Mercer had followed up that win over #3 ranked & SoCon dominating Chattanooga & the win over Furman the following week with a win over Samford to finish that season 6-5/3-4 and then won the SoCon in 2016, then people COULD point to that win over Chatt as a 'signature win.' Right?

IF that's what you are saying, then I'd say "Thanks for helping me understand what is meant by those terms. I agree with you. That makes perfect sense."

...and I would add that about all we'll really know next Saturday night is that the 2017 Mercer Team was able to beat the 2017 Wofford Team on 9/9/17...or vice versa. We can certainly draw some additional inferences about how the SoCon race will progress, the quality of each Team, and the trends of the Programs.

All that's cool, but a win or a loss for Mercer on Saturday, while important, is not monumentous beyond that.

My point is that a lot of times you see the media in FBS and FCS talk about a "break out" win (or however you want to call it) early in the season by a perennially average or slightly above average team, only to see that team (or the team they beat) flounder in the second half of the season.

I think there's a lot of inconsistency in the first month of the season (at all levels of the game) for there to be anything but upsets, but even then those upsets are tenuous and based upon iffy assumptions (preseason prognostication). A breakout season usually doesn't come out of the blue. Very rarely does a team go from mediocre to conference-championship-worthy in a season and then consistently at that level for like 3 years +

A lot of times the one hit wonders happen because a coach is good and gets snatched up. Teams like Mercer, Western, and even Furman (as well as soon-to-be-ETSU) occupy this weird space where, when you play them you know they can beat you, but if we're going to zoom out and forecast the entire season, we believe them to be middle tier.

The reason why they aren't afforded more respect beyond that is because the prognostication/evaluation/"hype" bit of the game is very "what have you done lately." For instance, there was no reason to think Wofford would be more than a bubble team last year (at best) but we came close to a conference title and made a big run in the playoffs. There was no one game that you can point at and say "this was the breakout game" because expectations were pretty moderate throughout.

If Mercer has a "breakout game" it'll be against the Citadel (assuming they beat Wofford). That game would prove that they not only have the capability of winning against big-name teams, but they can also do so consistently.

I have no doubt that Mercer will be competitive with Wofford on Saturday. I think they can beat us too. Having said that, they've only proven that they have been competitive thus far as a Socon member, but they haven't proven consistency.

What's disadvantageous for Mercer is that after this year, CBL better deliver as all of the variables of prognostication become pretty consistent. Furman, ETSU and Western get mulligans for various reasons concerning coaching staff and personnel among others. Mercer won't have those excuses after this year IMO

FUBeAR
September 4th, 2017, 05:28 PM
My point is that a lot of times you see the media in FBS and FCS talk about a "break out" win (or however you want to call it) early in the season by a perennially average or slightly above average team, only to see that team (or the team they beat) flounder in the second half of the season.

I think there's a lot of inconsistency in the first month of the season (at all levels of the game) for there to be anything but upsets, but even then those upsets are tenuous and based upon iffy assumptions (preseason prognostication). A breakout season usually doesn't come out of the blue. Very rarely does a team go from mediocre to conference-championship-worthy in a season and then consistently at that level for like 3 years +

A lot of times the one hit wonders happen because a coach is good and gets snatched up. Teams like Mercer, Western, and even Furman (as well as soon-to-be-ETSU) occupy this weird space where, when you play them you know they can beat you, but if we're going to zoom out and forecast the entire season, we believe them to be middle tier.

The reason why they aren't afforded more respect beyond that is because the prognostication/evaluation/"hype" bit of the game is very "what have you done lately." For instance, there was no reason to think Wofford would be more than a bubble team last year (at best) but we came close to a conference title and made a big run in the playoffs. There was no one game that you can point at and say "this was the breakout game" because expectations were pretty moderate throughout.

If Mercer has a "breakout game" it'll be against the Citadel (assuming they beat Wofford). That game would prove that they not only have the capability of winning against big-name teams, but they can also do so consistently.

I have no doubt that Mercer will be competitive with Wofford on Saturday. I think they can beat us too. Having said that, they've only proven that they have been competitive thus far as a Socon member, but they haven't proven consistency.

What's disadvantageous for Mercer is that after this year, CBL better deliver as all of the variables of prognostication become pretty consistent. Furman, ETSU and Western get mulligans for various reasons concerning coaching staff and personnel among others. Mercer won't have those excuses after this year IMO

Interesting thoughts & comments; many of which really sting my Purple-ness; rather than speaking to my Orange & Black side.

We have very different perspectives on our 'zoom lenses,' but that's understandable; just hard for an old-school Paladin to process & accept.

I do know a 'signature loss' in Furman's history though; a 1979 27-17 loss to an NAIA Wofford Team in Spartanburg. The physical beating administered by the Terriers was much worse than the score. It was FU's 5th consecutive loss to open the season 0-5. That Sunday night Coach Sheridan laid down the edict that FU would NEVER (under his watch) again be outphysical-ed by ANY Team & about 100 Players took that message to heart...leading to & being a key component of a run of SoCon Championships & clear success on a National level. From that game until when? (I don't know what year...2005 maybe??) NO ONE (even our Bellhop friends) would have considered daring to seriously call Furman a perennial SoCon Middle-Tier Team. But, you're right, with a shorter zoom, that's what you see.

Maybe that painful FU loss to Woffy in SparkleCity last Saturday will have the same effect as the 1979 loss there did...

Reign of Terrier
September 4th, 2017, 06:51 PM
Furman is only middle tier for maybe one or two more seasons. For all I know it may be one or two more weeks...

Scrappy94
September 4th, 2017, 07:32 PM
Power Ranking:

1. Wofford - The preseason favorite did not impress in 1 point win vs a team picked in the bottom half of the conference.
2. Chattanooga - Coulda, shoulda, woulda. Not surprised with the outcome considering it was a young offense vs one of the top defenses. New coaching staff, young team, and first game jitters. The team and coaches will settle in after another game or two. A young, inexperienced O-line vs one the the toughest D-lines in the nation did not give Tiano much time to make decisions. I'm impressed with what Tiano was able to do with the little amount of time the O-line gave him. UTC defense looks as good as usual and will cause problems for many teams. The young O-line now has game experience, and once they click, the offense will be fine. Gotta give them credit for being so inexperienced, yet not giving up a sack. Tiano is a good QB with a quick release. We will be fine with him once the O-line gives him more time to make good decisions. The offense will be even better when Bennefield returns.
3. The Citadel - Did not do as well as expected vs a non-D1 team.
4. Samford - Defense? What defense? Run game? What run game? Was outgained, but managed to win. Is Samford worse than expected, or is Kennesaw State better than expected? Probably a little of both.
5. Furman - Looked good vs the preseason favorite.
6. Mercer - Expected a blowout win vs non-scholarship team, and that's exactly what happened.
7. Western Carolina - Only WCU could find a way to lose by 23 while still gaining more yards than Hawaii.
8. VMI - Was expected to lose, but not by that much. Ouch!
9. ETSU - Underachieved vs a non-D1 team. Still won, but the score should not have been that close.

Predictions:

West Alabama @ Samford 41-21 - Will put up points against a non-D1 defense, but the weak Bulldog defesne will allow more points than expected.
Elon @ Furman 31-14 - Furman looks better than expected and should win at home vs a not so good team.
Catawba @ VMI 35-14 - Not sure about the offense yet, but if the defense plays like last week, Catawba might make it a game. Don't count on it though. Will be closer than expected.
Wofford @ Mercer 28-24 - Wofford struggled against Furman. Home game for Mercer. I'll take the upset. Mercer has proven in the past they can beat a top 25 team at home.
Davidson @ Western Carolina 42-7 - Should be an easy win vs a non-scholarship team if they can manage to actually put up points for the yards they gain, unlike last week.
ETSU @ James Madison 55-0 - Reigning national champs vs a bottom half SoCon team that did not do as well as expected the previous week vs a non-D1 team. This will get ugly fast.
Presbyterian @ The Citadel 28-10 - Easy win vs a not so good team.
Chattanooga @ LSU 35-3 - Mocs have had an extra week to prepare and fix all the mistakes. Offense will have improved, but it won't show in this game vs a defense much tougher than our previous game. Don't see our offense getting past the 50 yard line expect for maybe a few times. Our defense is just as good as usual, and held the #1 FBS team to just 31 points last year. Expect similar results this year defensivley.

citdog
September 4th, 2017, 11:12 PM
Power Ranking:

1. Wofford - The preseason favorite did not impress in 1 point win vs a team picked in the bottom half of the conference.
2. Chattanooga - Coulda, shoulda, woulda. Not surprised with the outcome considering it was a young offense vs one of the top defenses. New coaching staff, young team, and first game jitters. The team and coaches will settle in after another game or two. A young, inexperienced O-line vs one the the toughest D-lines in the nation did not give Tiano much time to make decisions. I'm impressed with what Tiano was able to do with the little amount of time the O-line gave him. UTC defense looks as good as usual and will cause problems for many teams. The young O-line now has game experience, and once they click, the offense will be fine. Gotta give them credit for being so inexperienced, yet not giving up a sack. Tiano is a good QB with a quick release. We will be fine with him once the O-line gives him more time to make good decisions. The offense will be even better when Bennefield returns.
3. The Citadel - Did not do as well as expected vs a non-D1 team.
4. Samford - Defense? What defense? Run game? What run game? Was outgained, but managed to win. Is Samford worse than expected, or is Kennesaw State better than expected? Probably a little of both.
5. Furman - Looked good vs the preseason favorite.
6. Mercer - Expected a blowout win vs non-scholarship team, and that's exactly what happened.
7. Western Carolina - Only WCU could find a way to lose by 23 while still gaining more yards than Hawaii.
8. VMI - Was expected to lose, but not by that much. Ouch!
9. ETSU - Underachieved vs a non-D1 team. Still won, but the score should not have been that close.

Predictions:

West Alabama @ Samford 41-21 - Will put up points against a non-D1 defense, but the weak Bulldog defesne will allow more points than expected.
Elon @ Furman 31-14 - Furman looks better than expected and should win at home vs a not so good team.
Catawba @ VMI 35-14 - Not sure about the offense yet, but if the defense plays like last week, Catawba might make it a game. Don't count on it though. Will be closer than expected.
Wofford @ Mercer 28-24 - Wofford struggled against Furman. Home game for Mercer. I'll take the upset. Mercer has proven in the past they can beat a top 25 team at home.
Davidson @ Western Carolina 42-7 - Should be an easy win vs a non-scholarship team if they can manage to actually put up points for the yards they gain, unlike last week.
ETSU @ James Madison 55-0 - Reigning national champs vs a bottom half SoCon team that did not do as well as expected the previous week vs a non-D1 team. This will get ugly fast.
Presbyterian @ The Citadel 28-10 - Easy win vs a not so good team.
Chattanooga @ LSU 35-3 - Mocs have had an extra week to prepare and fix all the mistakes. Offense will have improved, but it won't show in this game vs a defense much tougher than our previous game. Don't see our offense getting past the 50 yard line expect for maybe a few times. Our defense is just as good as usual, and held the #1 FBS team to just 31 points last year. Expect similar results this year defensivley.

Chatty Kathy's nowhere near the top right now. Will lose by 5td's this week and might start 0-4.

Catamount87
September 5th, 2017, 07:19 AM
Thursday, Sept. 7
West Alabama at Samford - Look for Samford to bounce back a bit defensively to make the faithful believe Hatcher has a stout defense

Saturday, Sept. 9
Elon at Furman - This will get ugly as Furman takes out their Wofford frustrations on Elon
Catawba at VMI - It'll be closer than expected
Wofford at Mercer - SoCon GoW, look for another close one with Wofford pulling it out in the end
Davidson at Western Carolina - It won't even be close. WCU lights up the scoreboard
ETSU at James Madison - JMU plays the marauder here
Presbyterian at The Citadel - Dogs make some corrections but this will be somewhat of a repeat of last week with a bit wider score
Chattanooga at LSU - It'll be close for a bit but LSU goes with the deep bench reserves in the 3rd with a comfortable lead

JayMYou
September 5th, 2017, 08:04 AM
If Wofford doesn't beat Elon by 50 points you all are a middling conference.

OL FU
September 5th, 2017, 08:16 AM
If Wofford doesn't beat Elon by 50 points you all are a middling conference.

Gonna be hard for Wofford to beat Elon.

Since they aren't playing them. xrolleyesx

JayMYou
September 5th, 2017, 08:18 AM
Gonna be hard for Wofford to beat Elon.

Since they aren't playing them. xrolleyesx

1,000 pardons! If Citadel doesn't beat Elon by 50 points you guys suck. xbowx

ElCid
September 5th, 2017, 08:26 AM
1,000 pardons! If Citadel doesn't beat Elon by 50 points you guys suck. xbowx

Nope. Try again. Going to be hard for my Dogs to beat Elon as well.

Since they don't play them either.

Keep going, you only have 7 teams to go.

Smitty
September 5th, 2017, 08:42 AM
I'll help speed up the process...

Teams left that do not play Elon
Chattanooga
ETSU
Mercer
Samford
VMI
WCU

Teams that play Elon
Furman

However Furman may not beat Elon by 50 points, but hopefully be in the 25-30 point range

JSUSoutherner
September 5th, 2017, 08:44 AM
ROFL.

ElCid
September 5th, 2017, 08:48 AM
I'll help speed up the process...

Teams left that do not play Elon
Chattanooga
ETSU
Mercer
Samford
VMI
WCU

Teams that play Elon
Furman

However Furman may not beat Elon by 50 points, but hopefully be in the 25-30 point range

xlolxxrotatehxxlolx

This is why you shouldn't drink before noon.

BearDownMU
September 5th, 2017, 08:51 AM
Just wanted to preemptively point out that we don't play Elon, either.

Reign of Terrier
September 5th, 2017, 08:56 AM
I needed this pick me up this morning xlolx

walliver
September 5th, 2017, 10:29 AM
No real surprises last week.

Predictions for this week:
West Alabama at Samford - The bullpups step down for a D2 game and score lots of points and win handily
Elon at Furman - The Phoenix have crashed and burned in the post-Riddle era and have not risen back yet. Clay Hendrix gets his first win 35-13
Catawba at VMI - VMI is writing the check but Catawba will come ready to play. VMI wins narrowly 24-20
Davidson at WCU - Davidson is considered D-I although they would probably go 0-8 in the D2 SAC. WCU wins by a bunch.
ETSU at James Madison - This game gets ugly fast in a JMU blow-out 56-10
Presbyterian at the Citadel - The Citadel has embraced the South Carolina playoff bracket, and now apparently refuses to play any out of state OOC games. Bellhops beat the men in skirts 35-10
Chattanooga at LSU - The Mocs will slow down the Tigers but may not score all day. LSU 31-3
Wofford at Mercer - the only SoCon game that matters this week. Terriers pull out a 28-27 win.

Power Rankings:

1-4 Nobody was particularly impressive so little change, top 4 can easily be substituted:
1) Wofford - best win of last week. Neither team brought it's A-game, but a win is a win
2) The Citadel - beat a D2, the jury is still out
3) Samford - beat a decent KSU team in wild weather. Wild weather games don't always tell you a whole lot
4) Chatty - lost to a good team, but they will miss starting QB for first half of season. May move up when Bennefield returns
5) Furman - heading in the right direction, but QB and WR at times out of sync. Should improve as the year progresses.
6) Mercer - could just have easily put them at 4 or 5 - but beating a weak PFL team doesn't earn many kudos
7) Western Carolina - lost to a G5, plays a joke of a D-I this week - too early to adequately assess this team
8) ETSU - beat a weak D2, but not impressively.
9) VMI - G5 loss, plays a D2 this week - see WCU

Cat-in-GA
September 5th, 2017, 10:30 AM

LOL! Us either

kdinva
September 5th, 2017, 10:32 AM

maybe Baylor should...... xrotatehx

Cat-in-GA
September 5th, 2017, 11:04 AM
West Alabama @ Samford Samford's offense will roll and they will win by 21+
Elon @ Furman Furman will win by 18+The first half is close, but they pull away in the 4th Q.
Catawba @ VMI VMI wins by 13+. Not dominating, but not challenged.
Wofford @ Mercer Mercer wins by -3. I really like Wofford, and think they win the conference this year, but I am going out on a limb and predict that Mercer wins this game at home in nailbiting fashion.
Davidson @ Western Carolina WCU wins by 28+. WCU scores TD's in this game, lots of TD's.
ETSU @ James Madison JMU wins by 35+. I kinda feel sorry for ETSU, not really.
Presbyterian @ The Citadel The Citadel wins by 18+. No challenge for the Bulldogs.
Chattanooga @ LSU LSU wins by 30+. UTC gets a spanking. This isn't one of the UTC teams of the past few years. I think they will improve as the season progresses, but right now they are maybe the 5th or 6th best team in the conference.

FUBeAR
September 5th, 2017, 12:03 PM
Mercer wins by -3.

Mercer has 'won' way too many SoCon games by -3, and -2, and -1 over the past 3 years. I hope you mean they win by 3...or +3....for extra clarity.

Regardless, I like the pick. I expect a ferocious battle.

Cat-in-GA
September 5th, 2017, 12:11 PM
I meant that they win by less than 3. I guess I should have typed <3.

Mercer has 'won' way too many SoCon games by -3, and -2, and -1 over the past 3 years. I hope you mean they win by 3...or +3....for extra clarity.

Regardless, I like the pick. I expect a ferocious battle.

JSUSoutherner
September 5th, 2017, 12:13 PM
I meant that they win by less than 3. I guess I should have typed <3.
<3

FUBeAR
September 5th, 2017, 12:18 PM
<3

I see what you did there, Southerner...I think.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 5th, 2017, 12:30 PM
I was 8-0 to lead off the season. Furman showed me something in defeat. Here's where I have it after Week 1:

1) Wofford - Still the alpha dogs until someone proves otherwise
2) Samford - Survived a great effort from Kennesaw State
3) Mercer - Manhandled their former conference foes
4) The Citadel - Fought off Newberry
5) ETSU - Won their first game in their new stadium
6) Chattanooga - Experienced growing pains in their loss to Jacksonville State
7) Furman - Had nothing to be ashamed of
8) Western Carolina - Gave a good effort in Hawaii
9) VMI - Received a beatdown from Air Force

Predictions
West Alabama @ Samford - Bulldogs take care of business
Elon @ Furman - Paladins roast the Phoenix
Catawba @ VMI - Keydets recover well against Catawba
Wofford @ Mercer (Game of the Week) - Terriers win in a close one
Davidson @ Western Carolina - Catamounts manhandle Wildcats
Presbyterian @ The Citadel - Bulldogs tear up the Blue Hose
ETSU @ James Madison (Beatdown of the Week) - Bucs become the nail while JMU is the hammer
Chattanooga @ LSU (Beatdown of the Week II) - Tigers uppercut the Mocs in convincingly fashion

Reign of Terrier
September 5th, 2017, 12:40 PM
If we're talking about close games...Wofford lost 2 games in OT last year, and the other one by two points. We also won 2 games by 8 points or less. That doesn't include two playoff games we won (one by one point, the other may well have been by one score if you omit the pick six with less than a minute left) All this coming off a 1 point victory last week.

Every game we played last year (sans ETSU, Ole Miss and Johnson C Smith) was in doubt going into the fourth quarter. Given our defense's shut-down ability and our offense's ability to make a play at any time (because it is an option after all), a low scoring, close game favors Wofford. Historically, we don't play well in shootouts because our offense is less likely to be consistent enough to keep up with that pace.

I think you can put a slight mulligan on our game against Furman, just because we didn't know who we were going against and their DC is really good against the option (came from CSU if I'm not mistaken). This week will be a test. If we win it close, you could look forward to Wofford winning (and losing) a few close games this year.

If we win going away (by two touchdowns or more--which I doubt we will), Wofford is "here." I would not be surprised by any margin from a 7 point loss to a two TD win. I factor in the possibility that Mercer is better this year (I consider it likely). It's very much possible we're in a <shrug emoji> situation come Sunday Morning with another close victory for the Terriers, but not much more information as to where we stand in the conference.

It's still early in the season dammit!

Toby
September 5th, 2017, 01:45 PM
Massey FCS Composite (so far this week):

1. Wofford (9th nationally)
2. UTC (13)
3. Citadel (14)
4. Samford (20)
5. Mercer (30)
6. Furman (47)
7. WCU (68)
8. VMI (84)
9. ETSU (86)

I think UTC and Samford are a bit too high based on performance in game 1 and Furman is too low on the national rankings. But it is early.

PaladinFan
September 5th, 2017, 01:56 PM
I think you can put a slight mulligan on our game against Furman, just because we didn't know who we were going against and their DC is really good against the option (came from CSU if I'm not mistaken). This week will be a test. If we win it close, you could look forward to Wofford winning (and losing) a few close games this year.

Yes and no. Wofford saw Furman's defensive coordinator in the post season last year, so no surprises there.

There was some secrecy behind Furman's offense, but Drew Cronic is the offensive coordinator, and he was the play caller last year at Reinhardt. Ayers even mentioned that they saw Furman's two point play on film, so if they saw that play, I think they would have seen others. I don't think they were as in the dark as you might assume they were.

PaladinFan
September 5th, 2017, 01:59 PM
This is a big game for Mercer, and it doesn't have anything to do with "statement" wins.

Mercer is playing Auburn and Alabama. Mercer fans will walk the company line about "any given Saturday," but they are going to get hammered in those two games. Those two defenses are terrifying.

So, Mercer goes into 2017 having to essentially win 7 of 9 remaining games to have a shot at the post season. They've beaten Jacksonville, so now they have to win 6 of 8.

An early season loss to Wofford will put them behind the 8 ball for any hope at the post season. To get to 7 wins (assuming losses to Alabama and Auburn), they will have to win 6 of their other 7 contests. That's a tall order with little margin for error.

Reign of Terrier
September 5th, 2017, 02:04 PM
Yes and no. Wofford saw Furman's defensive coordinator in the post season last year, so no surprises there.

There was some secrecy behind Furman's offense, but Drew Cronic is the offensive coordinator, and he was the play caller last year at Reinhardt. Ayers even mentioned that they saw Furman's two point play on film, so if they saw that play, I think they would have seen others. I don't think they were as in the dark as you might assume they were.

He saw it on film, but according to the Herald Journal this morning, he doesn't remember where. They didn't really prepare for it. in the inside wofford football released yesterday he said he could have prepared better had he had any way of seeing what *Furman* would do. There was a clear information disadvantage for Wofford.

Reign of Terrier
September 5th, 2017, 02:06 PM
This is a big game for Mercer, and it doesn't have anything to do with "statement" wins.

Mercer is playing Auburn and Alabama. Mercer fans will walk the company line about "any given Saturday," but they are going to get hammered in those two games. Those two defenses are terrifying.

So, Mercer goes into 2017 having to essentially win 7 of 9 remaining games to have a shot at the post season. They've beaten Jacksonville, so now they have to win 6 of 8.

An early season loss to Wofford will put them behind the 8 ball for any hope at the post season. To get to 7 wins (assuming losses to Alabama and Auburn), they will have to win 6 of their other 7 contests. That's a tall order with little margin for error.

On the flip side, Wofford plays a full D1 schedule. In the context of this game, that could mean at worst complacency and at best a relief of pressure. (With respect to PC and Gardner Webb, on paper they don't seem to be as threatening as the majority of Socon opponents this year)

Toby
September 5th, 2017, 02:21 PM
Ayers even mentioned that they saw Furman's two point play on film

Sorry, but it was a horrible call and it looked like Furman never ran it in practice the way they executed it. Why do a trick play at all in this situation?

ASU33
September 5th, 2017, 02:25 PM
Thursday, Sept. 7
West Alabama at Samford

Saturday, Sept. 9
Elon at Furman
Catawba at VMI
Wofford at Mercer
ETSU at James Madison
Chattanooga at LSU

PaladinFan
September 5th, 2017, 02:56 PM
Sorry, but it was a horrible call and it looked like Furman never ran it in practice the way they executed it. Why do a trick play at all in this situation?

I posted this earlier, but if you go back and watch the film, the play should have worked.

When Blazejowski moves away from the line, the entire Wofford defense relaxed. The defensive linemen committed the mortal sin of going down on one knee while the center's hands are on the ball. On the snap, Furman's RT simply didn't get the DE blocked. Tyler Vaughan was literally on one knee when the ball was snapped.

Vaughan disrupted the entire play. I don't love the call, but if our RT buries him (as he well would have given his starting position), I think Furman converts the play, or at least has a much better chance to do so.

PaladinFan
September 5th, 2017, 03:03 PM
He saw it on film, but according to the Herald Journal this morning, he doesn't remember where. They didn't really prepare for it. in the inside wofford football released yesterday he said he could have prepared better had he had any way of seeing what *Furman* would do. There was a clear information disadvantage for Wofford.

There's no question there was an information disadvantage. I mean, after half time though I expect their coaches were pretty well convinced that Furman was effectively running a faster paced version of Wofford's offense with more passing.

I do disagree with some of the Wofford posters who suggest that Furman played Wofford tight last year and was likely to do so again. Furman lost probably close to 30 players off last year's team, has 49 freshmen, 1 senior on defense (now), and freshmen all over the two deep. They gave an admirable account of themselves.

I said this on our forum, but this coming Elon game is a game we probably lose under Bruce Fowler. Seemed like every time Furman would sort of "figure it out," we'd take two steps backwards. If Furman comes out and puts it on Elon, I will feel very encouraged about the future.

Toby
September 5th, 2017, 03:13 PM
I posted this earlier, but if you go back and watch the film, the play should have worked.

When Blazejowski moves away from the line, the entire Wofford defense relaxed. The defensive linemen committed the mortal sin of going down on one knee while the center's hands are on the ball. On the snap, Furman's RT simply didn't get the DE blocked. Tyler Vaughan was literally on one knee when the ball was snapped.

Vaughan disrupted the entire play. I don't love the call, but if our RT buries him (as he well would have given his starting position), I think Furman converts the play, or at least has a much better chance to do so.

Thank you for making my point for me. The play was not executed properly. Most likely because they hadn't practiced it enough. Thus it was a horrible call.

PaladinFan
September 5th, 2017, 03:36 PM
Thank you for making my point for me. The play was not executed properly. Most likely because they hadn't practiced it enough. Thus it was a horrible call.

That's asinine. There are plenty of poorly executed non-horrible calls. If a guy runs a wrong route, but is open, is it a horrible call or they lacked practice? What if one guy makes a mistake and ten don't?

From my view, Wofford actually had more guys screw up on that play than Furman did. Tyler Vaughn (DE) was on his knees when the ball was snapped. The OLB clearly has outside contain on the play and completely vacated his responsibility. He was halfway to the wrong sideline before he realized it was a reverse. The Wofford CB even fell down changing direction. Horrible defensive call? More practice?

Furman (in my opinion) missed a block. We are loaded with freshmen and are going to have effort mistakes. If Vaughan is blocked, DeLuca runs paralell to the line of scrimmage and either throws to Blazejowski or beats Rivera in a foot race to the pylon.

Again, those things didn't happen. I just reject the idea that Furman wasn't ready for that call. Unfortunately, if they were going to miss a block, it would have been better to have not missed Vaughan.

Reign of Terrier
September 5th, 2017, 03:36 PM
There's no question there was an information disadvantage. I mean, after half time though I expect their coaches were pretty well convinced that Furman was effectively running a faster paced version of Wofford's offense with more passing.

I do disagree with some of the Wofford posters who suggest that Furman played Wofford tight last year and was likely to do so again. Furman lost probably close to 30 players off last year's team, has 49 freshmen, 1 senior on defense (now), and freshmen all over the two deep. They gave an admirable account of themselves.

I said this on our forum, but this coming Elon game is a game we probably lose under Bruce Fowler. Seemed like every time Furman would sort of "figure it out," we'd take two steps backwards. If Furman comes out and puts it on Elon, I will feel very encouraged about the future.

Furman lost all those players on a 3-8 team. Sometimes experience isn't a great thing. Also, football isn't so much a transitive property thing. It's true we bring back more this year than y'all did, but we still played close last year (with both teams making many many many mistakes). Not to mention, if you look back, Wofford hasn't really blown out Furman in at least 7 years. Furman has always been our kryptonite, and when you combine all of this with the fact that both teams run a gameplan subprime for running up the score (AND a full summer to prep), it's a recipe for a lower scoring game, which by definition will be more likely to be closer

PaladinFan
September 5th, 2017, 03:43 PM
Furman lost all those players on a 3-8 team. Sometimes experience isn't a great thing. Also, football isn't so much a transitive property thing. It's true we bring back more this year than y'all did, but we still played close last year (with both teams making many many many mistakes). Not to mention, if you look back, Wofford hasn't really blown out Furman in at least 7 years. Furman has always been our kryptonite, and when you combine all of this with the fact that both teams run a gameplan subprime for running up the score (AND a full summer to prep), it's a recipe for a lower scoring game, which by definition will be more likely to be closer

Lack of experience probably matters a lot less when you change coaching staffs. Even the veteran guys have to learn everything new.

I'd love to redshirt a lot more players this year, but I just don't think that's going to happen.

FUBeAR
September 5th, 2017, 04:03 PM

http://assets0.ordienetworks.com/images/user_photos/1243254/8b809dd7685142ef5ea18342c06c833d_fullsize.jpeghttp ://www.decaldepot.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/aint-skeered-d3184-alt.gif

BTW - Auburn's starting D vs. GaSou avg'd 6-1/234. Wofford's starting D against Furman avg'd 6-0/233. You ain't skeered of an inch and a pound, are you?

Toby
September 5th, 2017, 04:37 PM
That's asinine. There are plenty of poorly executed non-horrible calls. If a guy runs a wrong route, but is open, is it a horrible call or they lacked practice? What if one guy makes a mistake and ten don't?

From my view, Wofford actually had more guys screw up on that play than Furman did. Tyler Vaughn (DE) was on his knees when the ball was snapped. The OLB clearly has outside contain on the play and completely vacated his responsibility. He was halfway to the wrong sideline before he realized it was a reverse. The Wofford CB even fell down changing direction. Horrible defensive call? More practice?

Furman (in my opinion) missed a block. We are loaded with freshmen and are going to have effort mistakes. If Vaughan is blocked, DeLuca runs paralell to the line of scrimmage and either throws to Blazejowski or beats Rivera in a foot race to the pylon.

Again, those things didn't happen. I just reject the idea that Furman wasn't ready for that call. Unfortunately, if they were going to miss a block, it would have been better to have not missed Vaughan.

Sure....just a genius call....I am beginning to worry about that Furman education.

Total breakdown on the play. Three Wofford players could have intercepted that pass. If your planning on more genius calls like this, I'm thinking Furman might just go winless, except some of the teams they play are even more incompetent.

Calling a trick play here shows a total lack of respect for your offense. This play will get into the minds of the players. They will wonder why their coach had so little confidence in them and in what they had accomplish during the game. They will walk away from the game knowing they should have won, but their coach made a HUGE mistake.

FUBeAR
September 5th, 2017, 04:56 PM
Sure....just a genius call....I am beginning to worry about that Furman education.

Total breakdown on the play. Three Wofford players could have intercepted that pass. If your planning on more genius calls like this, I'm thinking Furman might just go winless, except some of the teams they play are even more incompetent.

Calling a trick play here shows a total lack of respect for your offense. This play will get into the minds of the players. They will wonder why their coach had so little confidence in them and in what they had accomplish during the game. They will walk away from the game knowing they should have won, but their coach made a HUGE mistake.

Nah.

Toby
September 5th, 2017, 05:03 PM
Nah.
Come on FUBeAR, use that Furman Education. A win here for Furman is blockbuster! Everyone starts to notice. Hey, it's a new team with confidence that just beat the Conference Leader. A "breakout game" to put it into others' words on this site. But no, had to call a trick play. No confidence in your offense to execute. It was a call made in fear. Trick plays rarely work. That is why they are "trick plays". Surely, the coach had a 2 yard play in his playbook that he had confidence in!

FUBeAR
September 5th, 2017, 05:08 PM
Come on FUBeAR, use that Furman Education. A win here for Furman is blockbuster! Everyone starts to notice. Hey, it's a new team with confidence that just beat the Conference Leader. A "breakout game" to put it into others' words on this site. But no, had to call a trick play. No confidence in your offense to execute.

Document that you have previously criticized this 'trick play' call by Boise State in 2007 & then I'll think about discussing the Furman/Wofford situation with you. Otherwise...nah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6Wfg0n2EE8

citdog
September 5th, 2017, 05:10 PM

Would Bobby Lamb have "gone for two"??????????

xlolx

ElCid
September 5th, 2017, 11:24 PM
All that the decision that Furman made, to go for 2, told me, was that they really did not want to get into an OT situation on the road. Understandable, generally standard. I am sure they did not want to test whether Wofford could pound out 25 yards in OT. They knew they probably could and the Paladins D had been on the field a lot in the second half. And they also knew they probably could not score very easily. Furman scored on their first and last possessions of the second half, but also had 4 bad drives in the second half. To go for 2 was probably a good call. The play they used was probably not a good call, especially if they didn't have the execution down perfect. The shenanigans they tried utterly failed. Never good to rely on that, especially against a well coached team like Wofford. Eh. New coach, so understandable. Heat of the moment decision for that play? Don't know. Most likely they had it ready in their play book for just such a situation. But now they blew their opportunity. Nobody else should fall for it.

PaladinNation
September 6th, 2017, 06:07 AM
All that the decision that Furman made, to go for 2, told me, was that they really did not want to get into an OT situation on the road. Understandable, generally standard. I am sure they did not want to test whether Wofford could pound out 25 yards in OT. They knew they probably could and the Paladins D had been on the field a lot in the second half. And they also knew they probably could not score very easily. Furman scored on their first and last possessions of the second half, but also had 4 bad drives in the second half. To go for 2 was probably a good call. The play they used was probably not a good call, especially if they didn't have the execution down perfect. The shenanigans they tried utterly failed. Never good to rely on that, especially against a well coached team like Wofford. Eh. New coach, so understandable. Heat of the moment decision for that play? Don't know. Most likely they had it ready in their play book for just such a situation. But now they blew their opportunity. Nobody else should fall for it.

Spot on… on the post game interview CCH said they had practiced that play and felt good about it, he regretted calling a timeout and should have gone straight on the field and ran the play (Clay's commit was something like Wofford was on their heels after the Luke touchdown). Clay was questioned by Marcus McMorris (former FU player) about that call and if Furman executed correctly? Clay said yes, and said he thought Wofford was actually not in the best position to defend it but as Jackal said a part of the play wasn't executed correctly a missed assignment. Clay also said they felt they would score and the plan was to go for two, defense was gassed.

What's not being talked about is that jet sweep for a touchdown. It's been a long time since Furman got that kinda effort. Maybe the Ingle Martin years, Furman laid out Wofford players, the tightend blocks a Terrier to the sideline, and Schmidt the center takes out another 20 yards down the field. Luke who scored on the play is quick but he's the slowest of the tailbacks. That one play broke a terrible Furman rushing trend, last season Furman had zero rushes over 20 yards.

I'm going to take a wild whiff here, Furman's new offense and the players they are recruiting (2018 commits; Hall/Flanker, Dykes/Tailback) could cause some changes from other SoCon schools. This new Furman offense is a mix of Wofford and Air Force and Reinhardt. The Wofford announcers even said it looked at times like two Wofford's are playing. When GSU came into the SoCon most of the other schools weren't prepared to defend their bone. As Furman builds up the players that can run this offense, it will be interesting to see how other SoCon schools adjust to defend it.

FUBeAR
September 6th, 2017, 06:30 AM
Clay said yes, and said he thought Wofford was actually not in the best position to defend it but as Jackal said a part of the play wasn't executed correctly a missed assignment.

Coach Hendrix cited a message board poster as a 'corroborating witness' during a post-game interview?

PaladinFan
September 6th, 2017, 08:46 AM
Coach Hendrix cited a message board poster as a 'corroborating witness' during a post-game interview?

I have that kind of influence.

walliver
September 6th, 2017, 08:56 AM
Furman's decision to go for 2 was fairly simple. In fact, I was surprised when they sent the kicking team out. FU's defense was gassed. Wofford's penultimate drive was stopped on a fumble deep in Furman territory (in almost the same spot where a fumble in OT cost us a SoCon championship last year). Our offense was moving well. FU's was more hit-or-miss. The odds favored us in OT.

I actually thought they would call a roll-out pass with the option of a QB keeper. Fortunately Ayers had shown this play to coaches and players before, and a few recognized it. (It wasn't FU film, but a play he found interesting, and had actually thought about installing in our offense).

PaladinFan
September 6th, 2017, 08:57 AM
Spot on… on the post game interview CCH said they had practiced that play and felt good about it, he regretted calling a timeout and should have gone straight on the field and ran the play (Clay's commit was something like Wofford was on their heels after the Luke touchdown). Clay was questioned by Marcus McMorris (former FU player) about that call and if Furman executed correctly? Clay said yes, and said he thought Wofford was actually not in the best position to defend it but as Jackal said a part of the play wasn't executed correctly a missed assignment. Clay also said they felt they would score and the plan was to go for two, defense was gassed.

What's not being talked about is that jet sweep for a touchdown. It's been a long time since Furman got that kinda effort. Maybe the Ingle Martin years, Furman laid out Wofford players, the tightend blocks a Terrier to the sideline, and Schmidt the center takes out another 20 yards down the field. Luke who scored on the play is quick but he's the slowest of the tailbacks. That one play broke a terrible Furman rushing trend, last season Furman had zero rushes over 20 yards.

I'm going to take a wild whiff here, Furman's new offense and the players they are recruiting (2018 commits; Hall/Flanker, Dykes/Tailback) could cause some changes from other SoCon schools. This new Furman offense is a mix of Wofford and Air Force and Reinhardt. The Wofford announcers even said it looked at times like two Wofford's are playing. When GSU came into the SoCon most of the other schools weren't prepared to defend their bone. As Furman builds up the players that can run this offense, it will be interesting to see how other SoCon schools adjust to defend it.

I also expect that we will continue to see Furman add elements to the offense. I didn't see any "full house" or inverted wishbone alignments, which is part and parcel to that type of offense.

What makes Furman unique, I think, is that they will throw out of these formations. Most pure option teams don't have a QB that can hit the broad side of a red barn. Furman is recruiting guys that can run and throw. They may be undersized a bit, but that just creates a market inefficiency.

The Luke touchdown run was fun to watch (7:45 mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99VNGCU18Rs). Furman had 10 guys packed into the short side of the field, one man split well to the wide side. Luke got to the edge, and just turned the corner. New TE Andy Shumpert did a marvelous job blowing his assignment straight off the field. Alex DeLuca probably gets away with a hold, but hard to tell.

What I love is that Furman's C, Matt Schmidt, cuts down Wofford's safety 20 yards downfield. Much was discussed in the preseason about Furman's increased fitness and athleticism. There's an example right there. A 290 pound offensive linemen, late in the fourth quarter, is throwing blocks 20 yards downfield.

walliver
September 6th, 2017, 08:29 PM
Due to Irma, the Citadel will travel to Clinton to play PC. It won't change the outcome, however. It will apparently be the first game in "Clinnon" since 1948. All 20 PC fans will be there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ElCid
September 6th, 2017, 09:02 PM
Due to Irma, the Citadel will travel to Clinton to play PC. It won't change the outcome, however. It will apparently be the first game in "Clinnon" since 1948. All 20 PC fans will be there.

Just saw this. A little out front on this but probably the right call since cadets and a bunch of folks will begin leaving lowcountry Friday. Dont need cops tied up with ball game when folks trying to leave. Hate that we get an extra away game for two years in a row. Luckily it is close.

citdog
September 6th, 2017, 09:06 PM
Just saw this. A little out front on this but probably the right call since cadets and a bunch of folks will begin leaving lowcountry Friday. Dont need cops tied up with ball game when folks trying to leave. Hate that we get an extra away game for two years in a row. Luckily it is close.

The Uniform of the Day is CARRY RAINCOAT. Why are we evacuating when the storm will not come within 600 miles of Charleston? Probably because the President of The Citadel is a US Chair Force Lt. Gen...

sudog03
September 6th, 2017, 09:13 PM
Thursday, Sept. 7
West Alabama at Samford

Saturday, Sept. 9
Elon at Furman
Catawba at VMI
Wofford at Mercer
ETSU at James Madison
Chattanooga at LSU

ElCid
September 6th, 2017, 09:15 PM
The Uniform of the Day is CARRY RAINCOAT. Why are we evacuating when the storm will not come within 600 miles of Charleston? Probably because the President of The Citadel is a US Chair Force Lt. Gen...

600 miles? Worst case track has it hitting lowcountry after skirting Florida. Got to go with worse case right now. If it was cat 1 maybe overkill, but this one is bad. I am the first to say don't over react, but I think a little paranoia is ok at this point. Hate that it affects the game, but it is just a game.

I get what you are saying in regard to game time, but they are ordering evacs beginning Friday or Saturday. The Gov'nor speaks tomorrow.

cx500d
September 6th, 2017, 09:41 PM

He must be using the abbreviated ATO Cycle

citdog
September 6th, 2017, 10:46 PM
Would this guy have moved the game to Clinton? I think NOT...

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/find-a-grave-prod/photos/2002/323/6813350_1037829728.jpg

cx500d
September 6th, 2017, 10:46 PM
He didn't use a 96 hour targeting cycle.

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/find-a-grave-prod/photos/2002/323/6813350_1037829728.jpg

ElCid
September 6th, 2017, 11:22 PM

He was pretty much a badass.

woffordgrad94
September 7th, 2017, 06:13 AM

20? There's that many of them?! Their fanbase must've doubled since we last played them! Seriously, give us a break folks. PC is one of the very few FCS schools that we at Wofford College can actually feel superior to when it comes to fan numbers!

Smitty
September 7th, 2017, 06:44 AM

Could be due to the talks of reversing 26 starting Saturday. Hard to get people in to watch the game when most roads are leading out

chattownmocs
September 7th, 2017, 08:59 AM
600 miles? Worst case track has it hitting lowcountry after skirting Florida. Got to go with worse case right now. If it was cat 1 maybe overkill, but this one is bad. I am the first to say don't over react, but I think a little paranoia is ok at this point. Hate that it affects the game, but it is just a game.

I get what you are saying in regard to game time, but they are ordering evacs beginning Friday or Saturday. The Gov'nor speaks tomorrow.

It will be a category 1 that won't hit until Monday. I don't get the hysteria for people in the carolinas.

JSUSoutherner
September 7th, 2017, 09:06 AM
It will be a category 1 that won't hit until Monday. I don't get the hysteria for people in the carolinas.
People in the south don't understand how weather works. They saw Harvey in the news and think all hurricanes are exactly like that.

FUBeAR
September 7th, 2017, 09:20 AM
People in the south don't understand how whether works.

your write. sum of them cain't even spell it.

walliver
September 7th, 2017, 09:20 AM

People in the Carolinas remember Hugo.

Hurricanes are also very unpredictable. Some models have the storm cruising along the eastern seaboard. If the eye stays over warm water it will not downgrade and could still be a formidable storm. Also, South Carolina was hit by a "hundred year flood" a year ago which produced extensive damage around Columbia and extensive flooding in the lowcountry which closed I-95 for several days. And Charleston floods every high tide.

OL FU
September 7th, 2017, 09:31 AM

Hurricanes are also very unpredictable. Some models have the storm cruising along the eastern seaboard. If the eye stays over warm water it will not downgrade and could still be a formidable storm. Also, South Carolina was hit by a "hundred year flood" a year ago which produced extensive damage around Columbia and extensive flooding in the lowcountry which closed I-95 for several days. And Charleston floods every high tide.

No kidding. I remember Hugo was supposed to head right up I-26 and hit Greenville with 90-100 miles an hour winds. Turned up I-77 and bashed Charlotte. Went there a couple of weeks afterwards and it was still a mess with down trees, etc. Went to Charleston for a football game a month or two afterwards and the Holy City was Holy ****.

JSUSoutherner
September 7th, 2017, 09:36 AM
your write. sum of them cain't even spell it.
Touché. Spelling while half asleep is dangerous.

Wait until I've had my morning covfefe.

ElCid
September 7th, 2017, 09:53 AM

That's a good guess, but as I said, a little paranoia is ok at this point. I am not convinced it will be that weak yet. If it hugs the coast and doesn't hit Florida at all might be a Cat 2-4. Not hysteria, just caution. Lots of folks remember Hugo and the low country has doubled in population since then. Evac could really be an issue if necessary.

ElCid
September 7th, 2017, 09:55 AM

Yup. Heck the quads at The Citadel used to flood at high tide when we had a heavy rain at the same time. The Market downtown is like 3 feet under sea level.

ElCid
September 7th, 2017, 09:59 AM
People in the south don't understand how weather works. They saw Harvey in the news and think all hurricanes are exactly like that.

Naw, they have been hit a bunch of times and know exactly what to expect.

Now, maybe the Yankee scum who have relocated South don't understand..... Thought I would get it in before Citdog did.

PaladinFan
September 7th, 2017, 09:59 AM
That's a good guess, but as I said, a little paranoia is ok at this point. I am not convinced it will be that weak yet. If it hugs the coast and doesn't hit Florida at all might be a Cat 2-4. Not hysteria, just caution. Lots of folks remember Hugo and the low country has doubled in population since then. Evac could really be an issue if necessary.

It has less to do with hysteria, and more, in my opinion, to do with access. There are just only so many ways you can get out of a coastal area. You can drive inland, but so is everyone else.

ElCid
September 7th, 2017, 10:02 AM
It has less to do with hysteria, and more, in my opinion, to do with access. There are just only so many ways you can get out of a coastal area. You can drive inland, but so is everyone else.

Yup. There ain't a whole lotta ways to get outta Charleston and a few other places along the coast. Glad my wife is on I 26 right now. But she was coming home any way. Just moved it up a day.

JSUSoutherner
September 7th, 2017, 10:09 AM
Yup. There ain't a whole lotta ways to get outta Charleston and a few other places along the coast. Glad my wife is on I 26 right now. But she was coming home any way. Just moved it up a day.
I'm salty that I'm going to have to battle half of Florida when I drive to GT this Saturday.

ElCid
September 7th, 2017, 10:11 AM
What really ticks me off is the timing. We will have three away games in a row now. Albeit with a bye week between the second and third away week. I think back to 1989 and we started 4-0 with wins against Wofford, App St, Navy, and SC St. But I think the toll that hurricane Hugo had on the team eventually led to our tumble that year. School was trashed, Charleston was trashed and everyone was obviously distracted. We went 1-5-1 over the next 7 games. Sure hope history doesn't repeat. Irma needs to just go away.

Catamount87
September 7th, 2017, 12:59 PM

Say what?!?!?

Let's see what storms we can remember.

Hugo - '89, Cat 4 landfall Charleston, SC
Andrew - '92, Cat 5 land fall Homestead, FL
Bertha - '96, Cat 2, land fall Topsail Island, NC (This storm flooded huge sections of eastern NC)
Fran - '96, Cat 3 land fall Cape Fear area, NC (2 months after Bertha)
Floyd - '99, Cat 2 landfall Cape Fear area, NC
Charley, ''04 Cat 4 land fall Port Charlotte, FL (later making another land fall just south of Wilmington, NC as a Cat 1)
Arthur, '14 Cat 2 land fall Wilmington, NC on July 4th no less
Matthew '16 Cat 2, land fall Myrtle Beach, SC and later Cape Hatteras, NC (It too flooded large sections of eastern NC)

So, no we don't remember any major hurricanes and are clearly freaking out because of Harvey.

ElCid
September 7th, 2017, 01:12 PM
Say what?!?!?

Let's see what storms we can remember.

Hugo - '89, Cat 4 landfall Charleston, SC
Andrew - '92, Cat 5 land fall Homestead, FL
Bertha - '96, Cat 2, land fall Topsail Island, NC (This storm flooded huge sections of eastern NC)
Fran - '96, Cat 3 land fall Cape Fear area, NC (2 months after Bertha)
Floyd - '99, Cat 2 landfall Cape Fear area, NC
Charley, ''04 Cat 4 land fall Port Charlotte, FL (later making another land fall just south of Wilmington, NC as a Cat 1)
Arthur, '14 Cat 2 land fall Wilmington, NC on July 4th no less
Matthew '16 Cat 2, land fall Myrtle Beach, SC and later Cape Hatteras, NC (It too flooded large sections of eastern NC)

So, no we don't remember any major hurricanes and are clearly freaking out because of Harvey.

You forgot Alberto - '94. Basically gave Georgia its worst flood in history. Came in from the gulf heading NE and stalled over Georgia for days. Parts of SW Georgia got over 20 inches of rain. Parts off central and north Georgia got 10-15 inches. I was there back then and it was bad. And it was a just a TS.

walliver
September 7th, 2017, 01:15 PM
You forgot Alberto - '94. Basically gave Georgia its worst flood in history. Came in from the gulf heading NE and stalled over Georgia for days. Parts of SW Georgia got over 20 inches of rain. Parts off central and north Georgia got 10-15 inches. I was there back then and it was bad. And it was a just a TS.

Was that the one when all the caskets floated out of the ground and started going downstream?
I know that shortly after that, funeral homes began placing identifying information on the outside of the vaults. After the flood, they had to open the vaults to look for the information on the actual caskets to make sure grandpa got put back in the right place.

ElCid
September 7th, 2017, 01:16 PM
I wonder if The Citadel/PC game will still have ESPN3 coverage now that it is in Clinton. I suspect that it will be cancelled by ESPN. I guess I will have to party like it is 2005 and listen to it on the internet radio.xbawlingx

walliver
September 7th, 2017, 01:21 PM
I wonder if The Citadel/PC game will still have ESPN3 coverage now that it is in Clinton. I suspect that it will be cancelled by ESPN. I guess I will have to party like it is 2005 and listen to it on the internet radio.xbawlingx

The "ESPN3" productions in the SoCon are actually produced by the schools. The exit fees of ASU, GSU, Davidson, CofC, and Elon were used to buy equipment.

This game should be on the Big South network: http://www.bigsouthsports.com/watch/?Live=1156

ElCid
September 7th, 2017, 01:24 PM
Was that the one when all the caskets floated out of the ground and started going downstream?
I know that shortly after that, funeral homes began placing identifying information on the outside of the vaults. After the flood, they had to open the vaults to look for the information on the actual caskets to make sure grandpa got put back in the right place.

Might have been. I know there were some areas that had never flooded before and folks were not ready. Some 100+ year old covered bridges were washed away. One guy famously built a 15 foot high wall around his house to stop flooding. That one made the national news. He didn't have flood insurance. He did succeed but it was scary. We had neighborhoods near us which flooded simply because the drainage systems could not handle the water...poor design and some were blocked with refuse. They were no where near water. Lots of law suits there. Our flight line at Warner Robins flooded and we had to move the jets to high ground. The Ocmulgee River was more than a mile wide in places when it is usually only a hundred feet or so feet wide.

ElCid
September 7th, 2017, 01:25 PM
The "ESPN3" productions in the SoCon are actually produced by the schools. The exit fees of ASU, GSU, Davidson, CofC, and Elon were used to buy equipment.

This game should be on the Big South network: http://www.bigsouthsports.com/watch/?Live=1156

OK, cool. That makes sense.

PaladinFan
September 7th, 2017, 01:38 PM
Might have been. I know there were some areas that had never flooded before and folks were not ready. Some 100+ year old covered bridges were washed away. One guy famously built a 15 foot high wall around his house to stop flooding. That one made the national news. He didn't have flood insurance. He did succeed but it was scary. We had neighborhoods near us which flooded simply because the drainage systems could not handle the water...poor design and some were blocked with refuse. They were no where near water. Lots of law suits there. Our flight line at Warner Robins flooded and we had to move the jets to high ground. The Ocmulgee River was more than a mile wide in places when it is usually only a hundred feet or so feet wide.

My understanding is that the Ocmulgee flooded largely because of a debris problem. Debris (logs, tree branches, etc.) floated downstream and got lodged in the bridges and backed the river up into downtown Macon. I want to say the "floating caskets" were in Americus or Albany, but cannot be sure.

I owned a house just up from the river on the high ground. They told me that area didn't flood then (1994?), so I took the risk and assumed it probably would never.

My inlaws live right behind the Addicks Reservoir in Houston. Their house was 5 feet under water. Luckily, they are one of those in Houston with flood insurance.

Catamount87
September 7th, 2017, 01:42 PM

Well Alberto was just a 'lowly' tropical storm. We can't remember all of those buggers. xsmiley_wix

Toby
September 7th, 2017, 03:56 PM
Document that you have previously criticized this 'trick play' call by Boise State in 2007 & then I'll think about discussing the Furman/Wofford situation with you. Otherwise...nah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6Wfg0n2EE8

You had to dig deep into the 10 year old archives to find this one. Good on ya!

Toby
September 7th, 2017, 04:05 PM
Would Bobby Lamb have "gone for two"??????????

xlolx

Yep Probably. :)

It is not going for two that gives me heartburn. On the road, it is probably the right call.

But with my 20-20 hindsight, I think as head coach you should be prepared if you score late in the game. No timeout. Immediately while the defense is gassed, send in your best 2 yard play that gives you multiple options. Either multiple running options or multiple receivers or a combination of both. No trick play. Have confidence in your offense that has put you in this position. Give them a chance. This trick play had only one option, a pass to the QB who was covered up and had two other DBs in the area. If my choice is only these two options: go for one or try a trick play while going for two, I'd just go for one and hope I can come out on top of an OT fest. But then again, no ones beating my door down offering me a lucrative coaching job. :)

walliver
September 7th, 2017, 07:29 PM

It is not going for two that gives me heartburn. On the road, it is probably the right call.

But with my 20-20 hindsight, I think as head coach you should be prepared if you score late in the game. No timeout. Immediately while the defense is gassed, send in your best 2 yard play that gives you multiple options. Either multiple running options or multiple receivers or a combination of both. No trick play. Have confidence in your offense that has put you in this position. Give them a chance. This trick play had only one option, a pass to the QB who was covered up and had two other DBs in the area. If my choice is only these two options: go for one or try a trick play while going for two, I'd just go for one and hope I can come out on top of an OT fest. But then again, no ones beating my door down offering me a lucrative coaching job. :)

Don't forget that on Saturdays, a two yard play will leave you one yard short.:D
And if you don't send out the kicker, the defense will just call a timeout.

longtimemocfan
September 7th, 2017, 07:53 PM
Thursday, Sept. 7
Samford-35 West Georgia-24 Both teams can score. The defenses could be taking the night off.

Saturday, Sept. 9

Furman-27 Elon-14 Paladins should cruise through this match up.
VMI-21 Catawba-17 I think this game could be closer than you think.
Wofford-24 Mercer-17 Hard to read Mercer at this point. Have a lot of young talent. This was supposedly a rebuilding year for BL. Will see if the game against Jacksonville had any merit to it after this game.
Western Carolina-48 Davidson-7 May not be this close.
James Madison-49 ETSU-10 JMU could be even better than they were last year.
The Citadel-38 Presbyterian-7 Presbyterian gets hosed in this one.
LSU-41 Chattanooga-6 We can hold the Tigers up some, but won't move the ball well at all against that stout defense.

Wofford- Until they lose.
The Citadel- At least for now.
Samford- Have to show up on the defensive side.
Furman- 2 point conversion away from being near the top.
Chattanooga- Not sure we even belong here. May be until Bennifield comes back before we know.
Mercer Could- rise considerably after this week.
Western Car- Played good last week, but must eliminate mistakes.
ETSU- How much will they improve this year.
VMI- Chance for a win this week.

Sandlapper Spike
September 7th, 2017, 07:57 PM

Well, he was the president of The Citadel the last time the Bulldogs played Presbyterian in Clinton, in 1937 -- so I'm guessing that he would have, particularly with the evacuations now in order.

PaladinFan
September 7th, 2017, 08:42 PM

I believe Hendrix said he wished he had not called a time out. First game as a head coach, and I give him a pass.

Many folks think that anything that isn't a standard everyday play is a "trick" play. Football is largely based on deception. The only "trick" aspect of the play was the QB moving away from the line. When he did that, the entire Wofford defense relaxed, took knees, stood up, etc. That is, the "trick" aspect of the play did exactly what it was intended to do. The rest of the play isn't a trick play anymore than a reverse or a halfback pass is.

I imagine the play was a run/pass option. We don't know that because the DE didn't get blocked, so he was in the backfield and disrupted everything. I imagine the play was designed to force Wofford's linebacker to decide between covering the QB or attacking the WR. He didn't have to, and simply scraped down the goal line and took away any passing lane.

Playing for OT wasn't a great option. Furman's got a talented defense, but they aren't deep. Wofford was exposing that depth late in the game. I think the odds of scoring from 3 yards out against a Terrier defense that just gave up several big plays is more likely than trying to square off with a rested and regrouped Wofford team in OT.

ElCid
September 7th, 2017, 09:10 PM
Wow, Samford has got some serious issues, on both sides of the ball at times. Inconsistency on O and some breakdowns on D. They will be lucky to survive West Alabama. 49-35 now after a Bulldog pick 6. Not sure if they are playing down, lack of motivation, or what. Sure WA is a pretty good team, but that does not explain the unforced errors.

ElCid
September 7th, 2017, 09:34 PM
First game complete. Samford survives 49-41. Got out gained 522-439. Samford had a couple pick 6s and WA had a punt return for TD, not to mention a couple long balls. They also gave up a 35-7 half time lead. Almost reminds me of the their game last year against Central Arkansas. How do you give up a 28 point lead at half? I am going to point the finger at the coaches. Interesting.

citdog
September 7th, 2017, 09:43 PM
Chris Hatcher gonna Chris Hatcher. How that guy has fooled multiple colleges into thinking he is a DI Head Coach is ASTOUNDING.

JSUSoutherner
September 7th, 2017, 09:43 PM
First game complete. Samford survives 49-41. Got out gained 522-439. Samford had a couple pick 6s and WA had a punt return for TD, not to mention a couple long balls. They also gave up a 35-7 half time lead. Almost reminds me of the their game last year against Central Arkansas. How do you give up a 28 point lead at half? I am going to point the finger at the coaches. Interesting.
Doing their best to move down in my poll.

ElCid
September 7th, 2017, 09:46 PM
Doing their best to move down in my poll.

I have been propping them up. Now I wonder why. They got talent. Their QB is real good, but they are seriously missing something. Or, maybe they are trying to lure Georgia into a false sense of security.

SU DOG
September 7th, 2017, 10:33 PM
Wow, Samford has got some serious issues, on both sides of the ball at times. Inconsistency on O and some breakdowns on D. They will be lucky to survive West Alabama. 49-35 now after a Bulldog pick 6. Not sure if they are playing down, lack of motivation, or what. Sure WA is a pretty good team, but that does not explain the unforced errors.

There are a lot of things that can't be explained right now. Samford does not look like a top tier SoCon team. I hope things change quickly.

Scrappy94
September 7th, 2017, 11:16 PM
Samford is not a team that has the ability to win the SoCon right now. You have to have a defense to win in the SoCon. Gave up 522 total yards, 464 passing yards, and 41 points to a non-D1 team. Got out-gained by 83 yards. Out-gained by a non-D1 team. I'm not even sure I can believe that happened. Unless they show a massive improvement defensively, they are not title contenders. The Bulldogs did manage 122 yards rushing, but it took 31 carries to do so. Not all that impressive. I'm starting to think this Samford team is not even Top 25 worthy. Samford may be 2-0, but so many weaknesses have been exposed in those 2 close wins that shouldn't have been close. I'm sorry Samford, but it appears it is not your year.

citdog
September 7th, 2017, 11:24 PM
Samford is not a team that has the ability to win the SoCon right now. You have to have a defense to win in the SoCon. Gave up 522 total yards, 464 passing yards, and 41 points to a non-D1 team. Got out-gained by 83 yards. Out-gained by a non-D1 team. I'm not even sure I can believe that happened. Unless they show a massive improvement defensively, they are not title contenders. The Bulldogs did manage 122 yards rushing, but it took 31 carries to do so. Not all that impressive. I'm starting to think this Samford team is not even Top 25 worthy. Samford may be 2-0, but so many weaknesses have been exposed in those 2 close wins that shouldn't have been close. I'm sorry Samford, but it appears it is not your year.

youcanbankit...

DoWe
September 7th, 2017, 11:47 PM
Chris Hatcher gonna Chris Hatcher. How that guy has fooled multiple colleges into thinking he is a DI Head Coach is ASTOUNDING.
This^

PaladinFan
September 8th, 2017, 03:54 AM
A win's a win, but has to be concerning for the Bulldog fans. Defense is surrendering over 530 yards per game.

Again, this is Chris Hatcher's MO. He wants an up and back style with a lot of points. That's going to expose the defense, and even in games where Samford puts up a lot of points, they'll leave a bunch of time on the clock.

It might not get prettier for the Bulldog D, either. Next week they'll see a talented Georgia team. After that, they hit the road against arguably the most dynamic offense in the SoCon at Western Carolina.

If you like defensive football, Samford at WCU might not be one to watch.

FUBeAR
September 8th, 2017, 06:06 AM
A win's a win, but has to be concerning for the Bulldog fans. Defense is surrendering over 530 yards per game.

* Samford has been totally focused on improving their Defense & their Running Game this season
* Samford has played a Team that has NEVER won a game over a full-scholarship FCS Team with a winning record & a D2 Team, both at Home.
* Samford's Defense, as noted, has given up over 530 ypg to these 2 Teams
* Samford, with an O-Line made up of Leviathan Behemoths & SEC-Quality RB's (we were told), has rushed for <100 ypg & <3 ypa vs these 2 Teams

#BeatGeorgia

(FUBeAR will be in attendance in Athens & cheering for the Bulldogs...the SoCon variety)

Milktruck74
September 8th, 2017, 06:46 AM
youcanbankit...

I think he must have fallen into the same hole that the "I'm Baaaaaaaccccccccckkkkkk" guy has been living in for the past year.

Catamount87
September 8th, 2017, 07:21 AM
WTF Samford?!?!? Oh right, Chris Hatcher is the head coach.

Toby
September 8th, 2017, 07:53 AM
Don't forget that on Saturdays, a two yard play will leave you one yard short.:D
And if you don't send out the kicker, the defense will just call a timeout.

What's a yard among friends? Of course you are correct! And getting the defense to burn a timeout is a small win in this situation. Odds are the defensive team is just as likely to save their timeout for their last minute offense because all they will need is a field goal. But if they burn one, so much the better.

ElCid
September 8th, 2017, 08:51 AM
There are a lot of things that can't be explained right now. Samford does not look like a top tier SoCon team. I hope things change quickly.

With the talent and experience you have, you should be cruising the last two games. Like I said, it points to something else. If something does not change then it will be just another underperforming 7-4, maybe a playoff spot, for the Bulldogs of Alabama.

SU DOG
September 8th, 2017, 08:58 AM
* Samford has been totally focused on improving their Defense & their Running Game this season
* Samford has played a Team that has NEVER won a game over a full-scholarship FCS Team with a winning record & a D2 Team, both at Home.
* Samford's Defense, as noted, has given up over 530 ypg to these 2 Teams
* Samford, with an O-Line made up of Leviathan Behemoths & SEC-Quality RB's (we were told), has rushed for <100 ypg & <3 ypa vs these 2 Teams

#BeatGeorgia

(FUBeAR will be in attendance in Athens & cheering for the Bulldogs...the SoCon variety)

You are right on those first 3 points FUB. You purposely exaggerate the fourth, but even there you do touch on some truth. The running game and defense were to be greatly improved, and we fans bought into that. It just hasn't happened. We have kids from winning programs - kids that other programs wanted. For the most part, these are good kids from good families, and again they ARE talented players. What I'm currently seeing is that the kids don't seem to have a clue. The O-Line stands up to seemingly pass block every time, and the RB has nowhere to find an open hole. Coach keeps saying the O-Line are so young, but there is not a true Fr. that starts on this unit. It is so discouraging to see so much talent being wasted like it currently is. I want to have the high hopes of a turnaround, and see players playing up to their potential, but it definitely is NOT happening right now. We never want to be negative about our own team, especially if they are 2-0, but facts are facts.

SU DOG
September 8th, 2017, 09:06 AM
With the talent and experience you have, you should be cruising the last two games. Like I said, it points to something else. If something does not change then it will be just another underperforming 7-4, maybe a playoff spot, for the Bulldogs of Alabama.

I'm so discouraged right now that a 7-4 season and Playoff spot seems like a pipedream. We do actually have that level of talent, but kinetic energy and not potential gets things done.

Milktruck74
September 8th, 2017, 09:21 AM
Ironic how Samford is 2-0 and the fans are nervous and my Mocs will be 0-2 and our fans (the realistic ones) think we are in decent shape. Albeit, not gonna run the table, but still in decent shape, contending.

The Pud
September 8th, 2017, 09:21 AM
I'm so discouraged right now that a 7-4 season and Playoff spot seems like a pipedream. We do actually have that level of talent, but kinetic energy and not potential gets things done.

I think you guys will be fine this season and will make it to the playoffs.

Milktruck74
September 8th, 2017, 09:25 AM
I think you guys will be fine this season and will make it to the playoffs.

I'm not so sure. You have to be able to Run the ball in the SoCon to contend. There are too many teams that eat the clock and if you try to play catch up without being able to pick up yards on the ground, you will run out of time. You also have to be able to stop someone, ocasionaly.

Milktruck74
September 8th, 2017, 09:27 AM
Running the ball also keeps the Offenses on the field and gives the D a blow....this is a downward spiral, and is how games get out of hand in a hurry.

blackbeard
September 8th, 2017, 09:47 AM
Ugly win last night for the Dogs over an average D-2. No idea how you can blow that big of a haltime lead.

If Samford doesn't find some defense they aren't going to win many more. They give up 545 yards last week and Hatcher praises his team's great defensive performance. Heck I guess he will be nominating them for conference POW this week for only giving up 522 to a D-2.

kdinva
September 8th, 2017, 10:17 AM
WTF Samford?!?!? Oh right, Chris Hatcher is the head coach.

sammy took the opening kickoff, and had to burn a time out before one play from scrimmage.

Take away Sammy's three non-offensive touchdowns, they lose....

drpnut
September 8th, 2017, 12:28 PM
I already have decided I will drop Samford in my poll regardless of what the rest of the field does. If they had one a squeeker against a bad FCS school I might not drop them. But to hang on to win versus a DII school is not good. I drop them 2 slots.

JSUSoutherner
September 8th, 2017, 12:46 PM
Ironic how Samford is 2-0 and the fans are nervous and my Mocs will be 0-2 and our fans (the realistic ones) think we are in decent shape. Albeit, not gonna run the table, but still in decent shape, contending.

At this rate, you guys are almost my pick to win the SoCon. Have to see what El Cid and Wofford do this weekend.

FUBeAR
September 8th, 2017, 02:23 PM
OK...Time to pick...

* West Alabama @ Samford - I think Samford will start OK, but struggle late. Defense will be poor and they won't be able to run the ball, but the HomewoodHounds eke out a 'victory' over a D2 program, 49-41.

* Wofford at Mercer - Bears O uses multiple weapons to score, Bears D makes 1 fewer mistakes than Woffy's O, Special Teams are a draw. Bears MAUL 'EM - 31-17.

* Elon at Furman - CAA Contending Birds-or-Something wish they were still Christian as they face a top-tier SoCon Team, but fail to put up much Fightin'. Paladins roll in the Home Debut for Coach Hendrix 49-10.

* Catawba at VMI - The Catawba Indians (and they still are called Indians) play good ball, but VMI struggles less with this D2 opponent than Samford did with theirs. KeyRoos take it 31-14.

* Presbyterian at CIT at Presbyterian - Well, continuing with a theme, now that the Bellhops have struggled and squeaked by their D2 opponent, they face an opponent that should be D3...or D4. LuggageSchleppers 35-0

* ETSU at James Madison - Someone say theme? Welp, another SoCon team struggling with a D2 opponent last week, but winning...as all of them have, the Bucs get drawn & quartered in Harrisonburg. Dukes 63-7.

* Davidson at WCU - Dang you Catamounts - Shoulda scalped those RainbowWarriors...ended up KICKING your own A$$. Won't happen this week. Davidson belongs in D5. PurpleKitties GO BIG 77-0.

* UTC at LSU - At least the Mocs are playing some real Football Teams. They looked anemic against the Cocks and I do not like the 'vibe' I'm getting from their program right now. That said...nah...BayouBengals ROAR 51-14.

OK...Time to PowerRank

Based on the 1st week or so and my picks above...I see things quite a bit different than the 'chalk' I see most of you posting. Doesn't make me right...just makes me unique...unless....we'll see...

1) Mercer - that's right, after they knock off the AnkleSnappers this week, they move to the top of the heap
2) Furman - yep - they almost took down the ProjectedChamp...while they were still learning how their Coaches would act on game day. Dins gonna make a DIN in the SoCon this year!
3) Wofford - Hey, I didn't say they weren't good.
4) A D2 Team that some SoCon Team hasn't struggled with...yet...the NewWest AlaStoneBerry NotPoliticallyCorrects...maybe
5) Reinhardt
6) WCU - hopefully, they held a joint job fair with Georgia Tech and fixed their Kicking situation...I like their Offense and I THINK their D is going to be better
7) Chatt - they may come together...or they may unravel fastly and furiously and spend ANOTHER 40 years wandering in the wilderness
8) CIT - Playing 63 FR vs. D2 and should be D3 Teams ain't showing us much. Banished to here until they play someone
9) EDIT - Add - Samford - I almost forgot to include them since they've adopted their All Thursday High School JV Schedule....looking bad BullPups. DE-FENSE / RUN THE DANG BALL!!!!
10) ETSU - Just hang-on...I see the Bucs upsetting some folks, but later...
11) VMI - Reminded me of the Republican Guard on the Highway of Death in their trip to Colorado Springs. Do. Better. Roos.

ElCid
September 8th, 2017, 03:22 PM
OK...Time to pick...

* West Alabama @ Samford - I think Samford will start OK, but struggle late. Defense will be poor and they won't be able to run the ball, but the HomewoodHounds eke out a 'victory' over a D2 program, 49-41.

Due, you are out to lunch. There is no way this happens.

Milktruck74
September 8th, 2017, 07:15 PM
At this rate, you guys are almost my pick to win the SoCon. Have to see what El Cid and Wofford do this weekend.

We won't know much about this Mocs team until probably October.....and not just because AB is out for 3 more weeks, but more so who we play....

JSUSoutherner
September 8th, 2017, 10:21 PM
We won't know much about this Mocs team until probably October.....and not just because AB is out for 3 more weeks, but more so who we play....

I think the Martin game will tell a lot about you guys. If you can win that game you'll be set. Martin manages to give our defense fits most of the time but we just outrun them. If you guys can shut them down when AB gets back you guys will roll. I don't think a 9-2 season is off the table yet.

youcanbankit
September 9th, 2017, 02:47 PM
youcanbankit...

I guess this is my cue.....I have to say everyone on the forum is right. I will take full responsibility for Samford's first two losses this year......... Oh Wait, they are 2-0 not 0-2. I guess the acknowledgement will have to wait. You guys keep believing the fake news the Hillary Voters on the forum keep spewing. "Look at the stats they say"...."Look at the yards Samfords defense gave up" they say, "Its a D2 team" they say. These are the same folks that say you cant believe the stats when Samford out gains them week after week. Next you guys will be saying a video caused the Benghazi attack. Give me a break. Haters gonna hate.

UWA has 13 D1 transfers starting for them. Including 3 - 5 star prospects and 6 - 3-4 star prospects. Samford had 440 yards of offense and easily could have had 600. Georgia had 368 yards of offense in their win against App state. Wheres the hate for them? Give me a break. Samford is 2-0. They will move up again in the polls as they head in between the hedges next weekend to play Georgia. Samford is definitely not playing at the level capable yet. Even some of the haters in our fan base are actively disparaging the team and the coaches on Samfords own forum. I have watched the film on the first two games multiple times, Samford left over 50 easy points on the table in their first two games due to small mistakes that will be fixed as the season progresses. If the score from Samford's game 2 was 70-27, which it easily could have been, the haters (& canines) on this forum would still be barking like chihuahua's that the defense gave up 27 to a d-2 team. Fake news. Samford is a rising program. Still predicting 7 wins in the conference...not pretty wins, just wins. Too young to be pretty yet.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26030&stc=1 http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26031&stc=1

Reign of Terrier
September 9th, 2017, 02:50 PM
It kind of invalidates your point when you say Samford "outgains them week after week" ...when they didn't outgain said team

youcanbankit
September 9th, 2017, 02:57 PM
It kind of invalidates your point when you say Samford "outgains them week after week" ...when they didn't outgain said team

You missed the point of the post, but that's another discussion. But since you brought it up, It kind of invalidates your point when you failed to say Samford beat Wofford last year.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26032&stc=1

Reign of Terrier
September 9th, 2017, 03:03 PM
You missed the point of the post, but that's another discussion. But since you brought it up, It kind of invalidates your point when you failed to say Samford beat Wofford last year.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26032&stc=1

No, it actually doesn't. but hey if you want to meme on someone with non-sequiturs feel free my man.

Wofford's never let a D2 team score 40 on us soooooo

youcanbankit
September 9th, 2017, 03:27 PM
No, it actually doesn't. but hey if you want to meme on someone with non-sequiturs feel free my man.

Wofford's never let a D2 team score 40 on us soooooo

Okay first of all I had to look up "non-sequiturs"..... because it was a statement that didn't logically follow the previous statement or argument. I found its a word used by those who feel their intellect is superior and above others on the forum. Interesting. So let me break it down for you....My site name is youcanbankit, so the meme was laughing "all the way to the bank". Anyway we can work on it later youngterrior.

Oh...I almost forgot....Here's another stat for you, Wofford has lost to Samford 4 of the past 5 years. Can you draw the proper conclusion from this inference? xnodx

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26033&stc=1LOL....Just joshing....

Reign of Terrier
September 9th, 2017, 03:30 PM
If the subject of discussion is how good Samford is doing in 2017, Wofford's performance against them is irrelevant

Smitty
September 9th, 2017, 03:43 PM
Well it looks like the Socon's rough week is continuing.

Furman embarrassingly lost to Elon 34-31
VMI lost to Catawba 27-20

Currently Wofford is losing to Mercer 14-0 with 2:26 in the 1st.

The Citadel crushed Presbyterian at least

Scrappy94
September 9th, 2017, 03:45 PM
Outside of The Citadel game, the SoCon is looking weak today.

whoanellie
September 9th, 2017, 04:06 PM
Outside of The Citadel game, the SoCon is looking weak today.
to quote Yogi Berra "It's Deja-Vu all over again" Elon tops Furman on late FG 34-31 A lot like the 2009 game.
A Big "W" for a total rebuilding job.

citdog
September 9th, 2017, 04:10 PM
furman sucks

vmi sucks

samford sucks out loud

The Citadel handles our business.

longtimemocfan
September 9th, 2017, 04:11 PM
Wofford starting to wake up a little bit now. I knew Catawba would play VMI close and possibly win. Furman did the same thing last year against non conference opponents. Played poorly against Kennesaw St. and Costal Carolina.

Reign of Terrier
September 9th, 2017, 04:17 PM
Wofford playcalling is mindnumbingly stupid

Reign of Terrier
September 9th, 2017, 04:31 PM
I'm not surprised Mercer is playing this well and beating us right now (21-7)...I'm surprised how stupid our play-calling is.

We're passing on first down, and at least once or twice we've gotten a holding call. There are possessions in which we haven't run a fullback dive play. Option team fans joke about how dumb a dive play is when overused, but we understand it's place.

At this point our coaches have to decide if we are an option team or if we're a spread team. Option teams run game management and pass sparingly. Spread teams pass like a normal team. We're calling plays like we're a spread team with the efficiency of an option team. That's not Goodson's fault (he played GREAT last week, when playcalling was more option-like), it's the fault of the coaches calling plays.

Mercer's good, and it could be the case that we lose this game and are still a good team, but from the looks of things we're suffering from the same anemic offense that we've run in the last 4 years or so. Yes, we made the playoffs last year, but our offense couldn't be trusted to score 30 by itself in my opinion. Defense is what's gotten us to the playoffs for the last decade, not offense. It sucks, because we clearly have talent on that side of the ball, but we continuously call bad games

Reign of Terrier
September 9th, 2017, 04:41 PM
To put things in perspective, both of our fullbacks (Stoddard and Nelson) have about 61 yards on 6 carries.

When was the last time we limited our fullbacks to only 6 carries in a half? Especially when it works?

Similarly, Goodson is 1/4 passing. Put another way, we've only ran the dive 2 times more than we passed the ball. Considering we ran three consecutive dives (on the drive we scored), it kind of goes to show that we're passing more than we're diving (this doesn't count pass plays we got penalties) and that passing is what we're going to first.

My hypothesis is that Wofford is a good team with a great defense. We can win the socon with the triple option. But for the last 4 years or so, we have had terrible playcalling and it's especially bad today. I don't believe as some wofford fans do that we need to run the option to win as a program, but the point is we can. What I've been concerned about, for a long time, is that as great as coach Ayers is as a coach, the playcalling holds us back more than anything else.

OrangeAndBlack
September 9th, 2017, 04:44 PM
Similarly, Goodson is 1/4 passing. Put another way, we've only ran the dive 2 times more than we passed the ball. Considering we ran three consecutive dives (on the drive we scored), it kind of goes to show that we're passing more than we're diving (this doesn't count pass plays we got penalties) and that passing is what we're going to first.

I would assume your Coach thought it was a good idea to test the Mercer pass D. The run D has been solid since the football reboot, while we've given up some big plays thru the air much more often.

citdog
September 9th, 2017, 04:46 PM
We'd love it woffy would quit running the ball. EVERY play they pass block is a play off for the defense.

Reign of Terrier
September 9th, 2017, 04:46 PM
I would assume your Coach thought it was a good idea to test the Mercer pass D. The run D has been solid since the football reboot, while we've given up some big plays thru the air much more often.

maybe on the first drive that's true, but looking at the overall strategy is appears we're trying to pass more even when we have no business doing so

longtimemocfan
September 9th, 2017, 04:59 PM
Wofford just runs for 57 yards and a td to pull with in 21-14.

Reign of Terrier
September 9th, 2017, 05:01 PM
Wofford just runs for 57 yards and a td to pull with in 21-14.
Amazing how that works.

And it's fourth down for Mercer

Reign of Terrier
September 9th, 2017, 05:03 PM
Wofford with the ball back at our own 29 yard line

Reign of Terrier
September 9th, 2017, 05:44 PM
kudos to Mercer. Y'all will win this one. Maybe this is a breakout game. It's too early to say. Wofford has a lot of question marks.

I was nervous when they picked us #1 for preseason. We played well down the stretch last year, catching fire. I think we're a playoff team at the least (it's going to be easier to win 7 D1 games than in years prior), but we have a lot of question marks on offense to answer.

I think attempts to brand us the favorite were premeditated. We could very well win the socon and make the playoffs (it's only week 2), but I think there are some systemic problems with Wofford's offensive play-calling. We couldn't get one yard on a fourth and goal.

I've talked a lot about long-term trends here, and quite frankly last year could just as easily be an statistical anomaly as it was the fact that Wofford is "back"

I'm not taking away how good Mercer is...quite frankly I'm not sure how good they are. But this effort reminded me more of the Wofford team that played 2013-2015 than 2016

citdog
September 9th, 2017, 05:51 PM
Nice job Mercer. You made our job a little easier!

longtimemocfan
September 9th, 2017, 06:09 PM
kudos to Mercer. Y'all will win this one. Maybe this is a breakout game. It's too early to say. Wofford has a lot of question marks.

I was nervous when they picked us #1 for preseason. We played well down the stretch last year, catching fire. I think we're a playoff team at the least (it's going to be easier to win 7 D1 games than in years prior), but we have a lot of question marks on offense to answer.

I think attempts to brand us the favorite were premeditated. We could very well win the socon and make the playoffs (it's only week 2), but I think there are some systemic problems with Wofford's offensive play-calling. We couldn't get one yard on a fourth and goal.

I've talked a lot about long-term trends here, and quite frankly last year could just as easily be an statistical anomaly as it was the fact that Wofford is "back"

I'm not taking away how good Mercer is...quite frankly I'm not sure how good they are. But this effort reminded me more of the Wofford team that played 2013-2015 than 2016

You spoke too soon. Wofford-28 Mercer-27 and Wofford just picked off a pass with just over a minute to go.

Reign of Terrier
September 9th, 2017, 06:16 PM
You spoke too soon. Wofford-28 Mercer-27 and Wofford just picked off a pass with just over a minute to go.

Superstituously, when I logged off the windows involving the game, my dad (Dungeonjoe) texted me updates (call it ESPN DadCast) and after we got a pick or two I decided it was better if I just not watched.

Our players have heart. Mercer is still a good team. Wow.

I put our playoff chances at 80% because we play the FCS powerhouses of ETSU, VMI, PC and Gardner Webb. We only need to win one more conference game on top of those to have 7 D1 wins, which in a field so big should give us a spot in the playoffs.

kdinva
September 9th, 2017, 06:22 PM
Well it looks like the Socon's rough week is continuing.

Furman embarrassingly lost to Elon 34-31
VMI lost to Catawba 27-20

VMI's running game again a no-show.....Coach Is trying to run up the middle without a FB.........ain't working. VMI had a 4th and 1 from the Catawba 9.......run got no gain. FG kicker missed a 40-yarder, and twice VMI had to settle for FG's.......add that up, and that is 18 points never scored.

dungeonjoe
September 9th, 2017, 06:25 PM
Nice job Mercer. You made our job a little easier!

The War was not won at Chancellorsville either... xsmiley_wix

MUfan
September 9th, 2017, 06:27 PM
Damn!

citdog
September 9th, 2017, 06:27 PM
The War was not won at Chancellorsville either... xsmiley_wix

He's YOUR Son... I'm in Stevensville, MT when notsoyounganymoreterrier says it's over I belive him...

longtimemocfan
September 9th, 2017, 06:29 PM
Superstituously, when I logged off the windows involving the game, my dad (Dungeonjoe) texted me updates (call it ESPN DadCast) and after we got a pick or two I decided it was better if I just not watched.

I put our playoff chances at 80% because we play the FCS powerhouses of ETSU, VMI, PC and Gardner Webb. We only need to win one more conference game on top of those to have 7 D1 wins, which in a field so big should give us a spot in the playoffs.

A wins a win. These types of games just make you stronger for the long haul of the season.

OrangeAndBlack
September 9th, 2017, 06:31 PM
4 turnovers vs. 0 turnovers. That's the only stat you need to know in the Mercer/Wofford game.

Reign of Terrier
September 9th, 2017, 06:32 PM
4 turnovers vs. 0 turnovers. That's the only stat you need to know in the Mercer/Wofford game.

Mercer is still gonna cause trouble this year.

- - - Updated - - -

He's YOUR Son... I'm in Stevensville, MT when notsoyounganymoreterrier says it's over I belive him...

I'm trying to figure out what I should change my name to...youngterrier isn't so young 9 years later

dungeonjoe
September 9th, 2017, 06:33 PM
yeah, his middle name is not Patience. and yours is not Temperance.:)

citdog
September 9th, 2017, 06:42 PM
yeah, his middle name is not Patience. and yours is not Temperance.:)

Temperance is a wasted virtue. The BEST Saints did not practice it...

dungeonjoe
September 9th, 2017, 06:45 PM
Temperance is a wasted virtue. The BEST Saints did not practice it...
can't give you any rep...xthumbsupx

woffordgrad94
September 9th, 2017, 07:15 PM
I was travelling all day so I missed the game. It seems like it was interesting. The only stat that truly matters is the final score. A win is a win is a win...

citdog
September 9th, 2017, 07:20 PM
I was travelling all day so I missed the game. It seems like it was interesting. The only stat that truly matters is the final score. A win is a win is a win...

You can **** right off and need to loosen your bowtie. There are MANY ways to follow your team these days...

PaladinFan
September 9th, 2017, 07:22 PM
Furman lost a winnable game against a beatable team.

Elon got after us early, put up 21 in the first quarter. Furman took over the middle of the game and the lead. Just like in the Wofford game, Furman's defense started to wear down late and couldn't hold 'em off.

Furman has some talent, but they lack a ton of depth, especially on defense. I don't see us winning many slug fests late in the fourth quarter - we just don't have the horses. To win, Furman needs to get their offense going earlier, put some points on the board, and let the defense use its athleticism to make some plays and force turnovers.

Ugly loss, but the team showed fight. Several crippling penalties cost us dearly late in the fourth quarter and likely cost us the win. I'm still encouraged about the future. Team is playing hard and look really strong at times. It may take a recruiting class or two.

woffordgrad94
September 9th, 2017, 07:22 PM

I wouldn't guarantee a win over ANY team at this point. I know I just said a win is a win is a win but I still think it deserves to be said that the Wofford Terriers have had some good fortune in getting to 2-0...we could EASILY be 0-2 right now. Don't get me wrong, I think we are a playoff team too. I don't think we've played nearly our best football yet. But I can't help but have a bit of apprehension creep in after these pair of 1 point games.

woffordgrad94
September 9th, 2017, 07:27 PM
You can **** right off and need to loosen your bowtie. There are MANY ways to follow your team these days...
Well I did receive score updates on my IPhone so I kind of followed the game. And FWIW I am dressed in athletic shorts and a Twilight Zone T-shirt here in my motel room near Lexington VA (I'm on my way to Three Mile Island for a job).

citdog
September 9th, 2017, 07:31 PM
Well I did receive score updates on my IPhone so I kind of followed the game. And FWIW I am dressed in athletic shorts and a Twilight Zone T-shirt here in my motel room near Lexington VA (I'm on my way to Three Mile Island for a job).

You should go over to VMI and stand in the middle of the parade ground and yell "kangaroo ****ers"at the top of your lungs.

ElCid
September 9th, 2017, 07:34 PM

I am just up the road near Staunton. Listened to my Dogs as I went up I81 today. My dad was fascinated by my phone playing the game and listening via blue tooth on the car radio. Tuned into actual radio near Lexington just in time to hear the Keydets blow it. Watching JMU take it to ETSU on local cable. I love the modern world.

woffordgrad94
September 9th, 2017, 07:38 PM
I am just up the road near Staunton. Listened to my Dogs as I went up I81 today. My dad was fascinated by my phone playing the game and listening via blue tooth on the car radio. Tuned into actual radio near Lexington just in time to hear the Keydets blow it. Watching JMU take it to ETSU on local cable. I love the modern world.
I listened to college football on SiriusXM, flipping from game to game. But they don't air all-FCS games there. I could've took the trouble and hooked my phone up to the aux jack in my car and played the Wofford game on Tunein Radio, but I didn't want to start cussing, screaming, and getting all pissed off on I-81. And I sometimes watch The Citadel on my computer, but truthfully I've never really been big on games involving VMI or ESTU unless they're playing Wofford. I am at the Relax Inn off I-81 in Natural Bridge, VA to be exact...place is a dump and I can't wait to leave it. Hotels.com can be misleading...

ElCid
September 9th, 2017, 07:57 PM
UTC keeping it respectable at LSU 21-3 late in 2nd. If not for pick that gave LSU short field, it would be even closer.

woffordgrad94
September 9th, 2017, 08:01 PM
I think LSU will have 40+ before it is all said and done...Not saying UTC is a bad FCS team and they might very well whip Wofford, but tonight I don't think they are going to stay with their SEC opponent.

citdog
September 9th, 2017, 08:04 PM
I listened to college football on SiriusXM, flipping from game to game. But they don't air all-FCS games there. I could've took the trouble and hooked my phone up to the aux jack in my car and played the Wofford game on Tunein Radio, but I didn't want to start cussing, screaming, and getting all pissed off on I-81. And I sometimes watch The Citadel on my computer, but truthfully I've never really been big on games involving VMI or ESTU unless they're playing Wofford. I am at the Relax Inn off I-81 in Natural Bridge, VA to be exact...place is a dump and I can't wait to leave it. Hotels.com can be misleading...

Is the Natural Bridge Resort no longer open?

ElCid
September 9th, 2017, 08:06 PM
Is the Natural Bridge Resort no longer open?

I believe the state took it over?

Reign of Terrier
September 9th, 2017, 08:09 PM
Western Carolina rushing for over 450 yards against Davidson. Davidson didn't know you could advance a ball that far without dribbling at least once.

Smitty
September 9th, 2017, 08:17 PM
Western Carolina rushing for over 450 yards against Davidson. Davidson didn't know you could advance a ball that far without dribbling at least once.

I'm just glad we made all of our extra points.

woffordgrad94
September 9th, 2017, 08:25 PM
xlolxxlolxxlolx very good. Seriously, Davidson should just drop that joke they call a football program. They've got to be the worst D-1 team in the country...it's an outright crime for them to even call themselves D-1. There probably aren't any D-2's out there they could beat.

walliver
September 9th, 2017, 08:54 PM
xlolxxlolxxlolx very good. Seriously, Davidson should just drop that joke they call a football program. They've got to be the worst D-1 team in the country...it's an outright crime for them to even call themselves D-1. There probably aren't any D-2's out there they could beat.Or D3's.
Too bad College of Faith isn't still around.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

youcanbankit
September 9th, 2017, 09:54 PM
If the subject of discussion is how good Samford is doing in 2017, Wofford's performance against them is irrelevant

2 wins and no losses. Samford is doing fine. Wofford however appears to be much weaker this year. Make it 5 out of 6 years.

woffordgrad94
September 9th, 2017, 09:55 PM
I just checked Davidson's schedule. The actually beat Brevard College 30-7 a week ago. I think Brevard is D-2. In any event Brevard needs to fold their program as well. Next up for Davidson, mighty Guilford College, a D-3 opponent. Their last chance at a win before getting into gruelling Pioneer League schedule. I wish Wofford could play these guys just once, just so we could see how far we could run up the score on them- payback for how these assholes acted in the stands at basketball games in the past!

woffordgrad94
September 9th, 2017, 10:03 PM
2 wins and no losses. Samford is doing fine. Wofford however appears to be much weaker this year. Make it 5 out of 6 years.
I fail to understand your logic. Wofford is 2-0 as well. And we are 2-0 in conference to boot. And Furman/Mercer >>>>>> Kennesaw State/West Alabama. I realize the Wofford /Samford game could easily go Samford's way, but Samford, like Wofford, ain't exactly been setting the world on fire so far despite being 2-0. It's far from a done deal. Of course I could just be wasting my time with a trollolololol. Are you also known as Blazrdog1 by any chance? Yep, I figured your ass out, didn't I?

ElCid
September 9th, 2017, 10:09 PM

Wofford weaker? No.

woffordgrad94
September 9th, 2017, 10:16 PM
Things could change, but right now that Samford defense looks pretty soft.

ElCid
September 9th, 2017, 10:23 PM
Meanwhile...I was very pleased with my Dogs today. Yes PC is weak lately...but the well oiled Bulldog machine is starting to firm up a bit. Got to love 13/16 on 3rd down conversions. Got to love 6/6 in the red zone. Got to love 4/4 passing for 104 yards and 3 TDs! Got to love 40+ minutes of possession. Got to love 435 yards rushing. On D the Dogs held PC to 229 yards with 76 coming on one play (oops). Got to love 2 interceptions. Got to love no turnovers and just three penalties.

Yup, I will sleep well tonight. Bring on ETSU.

woffordgrad94
September 9th, 2017, 10:23 PM
Wofford weaker? No.
Yeah, I don't think we're weaker. We just haven't put a whole game together yet. We need to come ready to play from the start. I think the team came into its first two games believing its own hype. You do that, you end up playing to the level of your opponent. I'm not trying to dis Furman or Mercer. It's just that Wofford was SUPPOSED to be better but our play didn't necessarily reflect that. I think we get it together. We have a couple of non-conference games against Gardner-Webb and PC to iron things out before jumping back into SoCon play so hopefully that helps. Time will tell.

CID1990
September 9th, 2017, 10:24 PM
I'm not ready to say the preseason polls and picks are wrong yet - with possibly the exception of Samford might have been picked a little high

I'm also not yet convinced about our own OL yet.... PC is no test. But I have a suspicion Jordan Black will get some starts this season and when he does it is going to be a long day for the opponent.... no more stacking the box on us

ElCid
September 9th, 2017, 10:24 PM
Things could change, but right now that Samford defense looks pretty soft.

Pillow soft. Right now they are simply hoping to score more than the opposition.

ElCid
September 9th, 2017, 10:28 PM
I'm not ready to say the preseason polls and picks are wrong yet - with possibly the exception of Samford might have been picked a little high

I'm also not yet convinced about our own OL yet.... PC is no test. But I have a suspicion Jordan Black will get some starts this season and when he does it is going to be a long day for the opponent.... no more stacking the box on us

Samford has been high in mine....until this week. I got to adjust on them a bit.

youcanbankit
September 9th, 2017, 10:30 PM
I fail to understand your logic. Wofford is 2-0 as well. And we are 2-0 in conference to boot. And Furman/Mercer >>>>>> Kennesaw State/West Alabama. I realize the Wofford /Samford game could easily go Samford's way, but Samford, like Wofford, ain't exactly been setting the world on fire so far despite being 2-0. It's far from a done deal. Of course I could just be wasting my time with a trollolololol. Are you also known as Blazrdog1 by any chance? Yep, I figured your ass out, didn't I?

Your probably right. You beat two good teams. No comment on Blazrdog 1.

Reign of Terrier
September 9th, 2017, 10:31 PM
Let me spell it out for you, I imagine the baptists don't teach logic class up there at Samford:

The fact (call it F) that Samford beat Wofford last year has no bearing has nothing to do with the proposition that Samford may be not as good this (call it ~G). The fact that Samford beat Wofford 4 of 5 (call it W) has nothing to do with ~G.

Mr. Bankit (I imagine his account his overdrawn) considers it good smack to bring up W or F when everyone else is assessing ~G. I imagine this passes for valid assessment at Birmingham Baptist U just as dancing passes as provocative entertainment or like how arriving to chapel 5 minutes late passes for rebellion against the Almighty.

Nevertheless, it seems to be his only defense. Seasoned with circa 2012 memes, he views his smack to be cutting edge, like a filmmaker recycling cliches for their own sake. He thinks he's producing The Godfather, when really he's producing Transformers 5.

youcanbankit
September 9th, 2017, 10:32 PM
Samford has been high in mine....until this week. I got to adjust on them a bit.

You definitely should move them down in your rankings. They are not good at all. Nothing to worry about for The Citadel when you travel to Birmingham on the 30th.

ElCid
September 9th, 2017, 10:41 PM
You definitely should move them down in your rankings. They are not good at all. Nothing to worry about for The Citadel when you travel to Birmingham on the 30th.

Well I expected them to do a bit better considering their talent returning. But a lousy rushing game and questionable D requires a reevaluation. I had them a bit higher than the poll had them. Above my Bulldogs. I picked them to win the SOCON. Gave them the benefit of the doubt after the first game. Not so much this week. After the 30th, they will be done.

youcanbankit
September 9th, 2017, 10:43 PM
Let me spell it out for you, I imagine the baptists don't teach logic class up there at Samford:

The fact (call it F) that Samford beat Wofford last year has no bearing has nothing to do with the proposition that Samford may be not as good this (call it ~G). The fact that Samford beat Wofford 4 of 5 (call it W) has nothing to do with ~G.

Mr. Bankit (I imagine his account his overdrawn) considers it good smack to bring up W or F when everyone else is assessing ~G. I imagine this passes for valid assessment at Birmingham Baptist U just as dancing passes as provocative entertainment or like how arriving to chapel 5 minutes late passes for rebellion against the Almighty.

Nevertheless, it seems to be his only defense. Seasoned with circa 2012 memes, he views his smack to be cutting edge, like a filmmaker recycling cliches for their own sake. He thinks he's producing The Godfather, when really he's producing Transformers 5.

Well said....You've convinced me about the errors of my ways. Samford has no chance this year when we play Wofford. I dont know why we will even play the game on October 21st? Beating Wofford 4 out the past 5 years is no indication on understanding Wofford's approach. I will see if I can talk them out of such a senseless trip and losing cause. Maybe I can find an old meme about throwing in the towel? Ill check....

youcanbankit
September 9th, 2017, 10:47 PM
Well I expected them to do a bit better considering their talent returning. But a lousy rushing game and questionable D requires a reevaluation. I had them a bit higher than the poll had them. Above my Bulldogs. I picked them to win the SOCON. Gave them the benefit of the doubt after the first game. Not so much this week. After the 30th, they will be done.

I'm sure your right. All the polls have them wrong too. Coaches poll, stats poll, Southern Pigskin, etc. Be nice to put them out of there misery on the 30th. Stop all this nonsense. ESPN had them on top plays last night. What a bunch of idiots.

Reign of Terrier
September 9th, 2017, 10:49 PM
Well said....You've convinced me about the errors of my ways. Samford has no chance this year when we play Wofford. I dont know why we will even play the game on October 21st? Beating Wofford 4 out the past 5 years is no indication on understanding Wofford's approach. I will see if I can talk them out of such a senseless trip and losing cause. Maybe I can find a meme about throwing in the towel? Ill check....

Ah yes, the boring sarcastic hyperbole of "well, I've been criticized or there's valid reason to think I'm wrong so everyone else is overconfident"

Put aside the fact that no one said anything about whether or not Wofford/Citadel/anyone would beat Samford (again, we're talking ~G) ...the smack is WEAK over here. I've barely posted over the last few years, where did all the originality go???

ElCid
September 9th, 2017, 10:54 PM
I'm sure your right. All the polls have them wrong too. Coaches poll, stats poll, Southern Pigskin, etc. Be nice to put them out of there misery on the 30th. Stop all this nonsense. ESPN had them on top plays last night. What a bunch of idiots.

You did get one thing correct.

That I'm right. But that was a given.

Reign of Terrier
September 9th, 2017, 10:58 PM
Sidenote: It's true Samford beat us 4 out of the last 5, but 3 of those Wofford teams were terrible. The other two made the playoffs and Samford beat them, but they were both close and in Birmingham. More bluntly: the renaissance of Samford football seems to be a perennial 7-4 program alongside a recession in Wofford football (over the course of 3 years we won <20 games, ~15 D1 games) is the only time you can consistently beat us, and even then every game is within a score or so.

So as much as Samford has had our number, it doesn't feel like they "own us" like App State or GSU had back in the day. If we're a playoff team, and at home, we'll likely win. If not, we won't.

Samford is a lot like Mercer in that beating them doesn't tell you enough about your team because of their inconsistency, while losing to them tells you a lot.

CID1990
September 10th, 2017, 02:47 AM

Maybe, maybe not

But two games into the season, Samford has struggled with two teams that last year's Samford would have destroyed.

You can rest assured that our team will go in to Birmingham assuming that Samford is everything you say they are and more

sudog03
September 10th, 2017, 06:45 AM
Yeah, I don't think we're weaker. We just haven't put a whole game together yet.

I feel the same way about Samford, and if you look around the SoCon, I think alot of teams can say that. I think it's due to the fact that there is a lot of youth in the league this season, which is leading to inconsistent play, especially early.

PaladinFan
September 10th, 2017, 07:21 AM
I feel the same way about Samford, and if you look around the SoCon, I think alot of teams can say that. I think it's due to the fact that there is a lot of youth in the league this season, which is leading to inconsistent play, especially early.

Right, but two of the teams that aren't exactly young or breaking in new coaching staffs (or both) are Wofford and Samford.

PaladinFan
September 10th, 2017, 07:25 AM
Silver lining - Georgia Southern lost by double digits to New Hampshire.

Stop me if you've heard this before, the fans want to fire the head coach.

sudog03
September 10th, 2017, 07:37 AM
Right, but two of the teams that aren't exactly young or breaking in new coaching staffs (or both) are Wofford and Samford.

Can't speak very much for Wofford, but Samford has 5 of our 11 starters on offense who made their first college starts this season.

youcanbankit
September 10th, 2017, 07:58 AM
Ah yes, the boring sarcastic hyperbole of "well, I've been criticized or there's valid reason to think I'm wrong so everyone else is overconfident"

Put aside the fact that no one said anything about whether or not Wofford/Citadel/anyone would beat Samford (again, we're talking ~G) ...the smack is WEAK over here. I've barely posted over the last few years, where did all the originality go???

Lets keep it simple for the rest of us on the forum. We will see you on October 21st, let's let the score do the talking. A 2012 Meme just for you....

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26035&stc=1

youcanbankit
September 10th, 2017, 08:00 AM
You did get one thing correct.

That I'm right. But that was a given.

Yeah, you thought you were wrong once, but you were mistaken.:)

walliver
September 10th, 2017, 09:16 AM
I just checked Davidson's schedule. The actually beat Brevard College 30-7 a week ago. I think Brevard is D-2. In any event Brevard needs to fold their program as well. Next up for Davidson, mighty Guilford College, a D-3 opponent. Their last chance at a win before getting into gruelling Pioneer League schedule. I wish Wofford could play these guys just once, just so we could see how far we could run up the score on them- payback for how these assholes acted in the stands at basketball games in the past!

Brevard dropped down to D3 this year.

samfordcircle
September 10th, 2017, 10:33 AM
Silver lining - Georgia Southern lost by double digits to New Hampshire.

Stop me if you've heard this before, the fans want to fire the head coach.

Hilarious! lol

citdog
September 10th, 2017, 10:35 AM
Think PIgs Ass would be happy with Mike Sewak right about now???