PDA

View Full Version : Its here! Call your teams destiny! Charleston Southern 2017...

Bucs2016
August 19th, 2017, 08:18 AM
Its here. 7 days away. Game week is here for some FCS teams. So lets Babe Ruth it and call your teams shot!!!

Mine...Charleston Southern 2017: 8-3, 3-peat as Big South Champions. Round 1 playoffs @ The Citadel, tossup

We return Coach Tucker, the secret weapon behind Chadwells great run here...BUT all other coaches are gone so thats gonna be a huge change. We lose 2 record setting RBs and 1 OL who is in the NFL now, plus a couple secondary veterans.

But...we return arguably one of the top 5 defensive front 7s in FCS. Some nice secondary replacements. A couple of very physically gifted WRs. A rock solid OL. AND...several QBs with starting experience including the 2016 starter who is on a few watch lists.

Schedule....
We likely lose opener to Mississippi State.
SC State and Elon on the road could be tricky.
Liberty, Monmouth and GWU will be scrappy tough games.
But we should win 4 of the above 6. Ill concede MSU. LU wont count since they're FBS transition but I have a feeling they're due to beat us this year. Aaaaaand....I'll throw in an upset loss to SCSU or Elon.

We'll play at Kennesaw State on Nov 11, win in OT to win the BSC for 3rd year in a row. KSU is gonna be very good. But they run triple option and our Front 7 is just lights out this year. We are a match up nightmare for them and in their first 2 years we've shut their offense down completely.

We'll get seeded lowish...20-24 range. Probably face The Citadel in 1st round in the typically brutal "South Carolina Bracket" although now they cant put Coastal in it anymore. This game will be a tossup. Their QB and primary RB are very good players. But we are excellent vs the option. However....I think their veteran group pulls it out and we finish 8-4.

Smitty
August 19th, 2017, 08:52 AM
That is ambitious considering the mass exodus that happened during the off season

GodHelpTheBears
August 19th, 2017, 09:28 AM
Missouri State - 3-8, 2-6 in the Missouri Valley

Peyton Huslig* will get the start at QB for the season opener at UM-C, in the vaunted Jefferson Pilot 11 am slot. Does anyone know if the three Daves are employed by the SEC Network? (He will not start all 11 games. Take that however you want.) This one's over by halftime, as UM-C boat races bad teams.

A trip to top 10 UND follows. The game is surprisingly quite close. McNeece Egbim makes at least 10 tackles and announces his All-American candidacy. This one becomes a defensive battle...but MSU's inexperience at QB makes the difference.

Home opener against Murray State ends with MSU's first win. It's one of those games where the winning team is visibly better, but does not pull too far away. Another home game with the Redbirds follows, and this is a potential "breakthrough" game coaching staffs mark on the calendar. ISUr is a sturdy program, consistently good but not impervious like NDSU is perceived to be. I'd like our chances in November. Unfortunately, this one is played on September 23.

I think we all know how the trip to Fargo will go. The more interesting trip is to Macomb, especially because our guys had them at homecoming last year. With an adequate secondary our team ends up 5-6 last year, brings back a large chunk of the roster and a few people on here would wonder if we had a shot at the playoffs. At this point I think the season begins to look like a 2013 TCU, knocking on the door almost every game but just not finding one they can bust through. Another close one goes to the opposition.

South Dakota State will literally decide what score they want. We are soft where they are ridiculously strong. Thank God Coach Stig has a heart.

Homecoming against Indiana State. Thank God. A win, but by less than last year. I think ISUb will be healthier. They were a better team than they looked against us last year, particularly in the second half.

I think I'm higher on SIU than most. They lost a lot of close games. I don't know if they're bringing many of their starters back, but if they are they trigger one of my biggest weaknesses in football prediction. I tend to send teams like this to the moon in my head. I felt the Bears gave up on Stec last November. Those last three games were appalling. SIU did not give up on Nick Hill, and for a first year coach that's saying something. I don't think they'll be NDSU/SDSU good, but I would not be shocked if they made the playoffs. To me this is not a very winnable game.

Death, taxes, and losing to UNI. This fundamental rule of life has not yet been broken.

I think Bo is a good coach, but he turns into a numbnuts when he is angry. YSU is expected to take a step back. I think our guys will be frustrated at this point, having lost 4 or 5 close ones. Maybe the Wolford swoon is embedded on my brain. Maybe YSU struggles early in Valley play and tunes the loudest coach in college football out. I don't know why I feel good about this one, but I do.

Note: I think our team will be better overall. The record will be worse because the schedule is tougher. It's also bad to be the only team in your conference breaking in a new starting QB. 2018 will be go time, however.

* - I just read that Anthony Monken, JUCO transfer and main competitor for starting QB with Huslig is ineligible this season due to academic issues. I still don't think Huslig starts all 11 games. I question our offensive line's ability to keep him from jarring hits. My guess is his replacement would be Rice transfer J.T. Granato.

KPSUL
August 19th, 2017, 10:17 AM
New Hampshire will win all 5 of its home games but be 6-4 entering the final game of the season @ Albany. UNH will win a close game and sneak into the playoffs with 7-4 record again for the 4th time in the last 5 seasons annoying all the cry-babies in the FCS community including Albany head coach Greg Gattuso who's team will also be 7-4, but not in the playoffs. UNH will beat a Patriot League team in the first round and lose to a conference opponent in game 2. In other words, same as usual.

Gangtackle11
August 19th, 2017, 10:30 AM
2017 Villanova Wildcats.

1st time since football returned in 1985 the head coach won't be Andy Talley. The change in the head coach is about as seamless as it gets with longtime associate head coach Mark Ferrante taking over.

Villanova lost DC Billy Crocker to UConn and that may be felt more than Talley retiring. Crocker put together the #1 defense in FCS last season & his aggressive style 3-3-5 defense may change a bit under new DC Joe Trainer.

Team will have to replace the CAA Defensive Player of the Year Tanoh Kpassagnon who is turning heads with the KC Chiefs, 3rd team all- CAA DE Brian Osei, 1st team All-CAA LB Austin Calitro (in 49ers camp), & OL starters Nico DeAngelo & Tennesse Titan draftee Brad Seaton.

RS Junior QB Zach Bednarczyk has to step up in the big games. Statistically he had a decent season, but those numbers shrunk in the 4 losses against Pitt, Richmond, JMU, & SDSU. Bednarczyk will continue to lead a run first offense that has several RB candidates going into the season led by junior Aaron Forbes (800+ yards) & senior Matt Gudzak (our Danny Woodhead). The OLine will need to find a new LT & LG, but they have 3 experienced players back led by JR. RT Ethan " Big E" Greenidge. He's 6'5" 330lbs with good feet who may be the next NFL bound Cat.

Wide Receivers & Slot positions have many to choose from here. Look for Sr. Taurus Phillips & Jr. Jarrett McClenton to give them excellent production from the slot. The Cats lack the big play receiver on the outside and look for Sr. Alex Padovani, Sophomores Brandon Chadbourn, Changa Hodge, & Zach Kerxton split time here.

Defensively it's unrealistic to think Villanova will lead the nation statistically, but they should continue to be a strong unit. Replacing Kpassagnon won't be easy, but sophomores Jafonta Johnson, Jeff Wiley, & Aaron Seigle need to step up or this will be a position of weakness on a other wise solid unit.

Returning 3rd team All-CAA senior LB Ed Shockley & junior MLB Jeff Steeb return after both tied for the team lead in tackles with 86 a piece. Look for sophomore Drew Wiley to take Calitro's spot. He flashed brilliance against Pitt & will give Nova one of the nation's better LB units. Sophomore LB Keeling Hunter could get time also.

The defensive backfield could be the best in CAA & maybe the nation. Pre-season All-American safety Rob Rolle leads a veteran group with seniors Malik Reeves, Trey Johnson, Rashawn Stewart, & sophomore Julian Williams.

The boomin' Aussie 1st team All-CAA punter John Hinchen is back for his senior season & junior Gerard Smith should improve or at least that's the hope.

Schedule has OOC games @ Lehigh, @Temple, Lafayette
CAA home games: Maine, Elon, Richmond, Delaware
CAA away games: Albany, Towson, JMU, Rhode Island.

Week 1:Lehigh is a challenge right off the bat, but I think Nova has the winning blue print to beat the Mountain Hawks. I expect the 'Csts to win the TOP & play keep away with their strong run game against a 4-2-5 defense with poor tacklers & unproven LBs. Cats 28-20

Week 2:Temple will be a tough game unless the Owls upset ND the week before and forget they have a game the following week vs. Nova. 31-7 Temple

Week 3: Lafayette will benefit from the annual FBS hangover that Nova has & keep it closer than it should be.
Nova will wake up in 2nd half & win 31-14.

Week 4: Albany is an upstart CAA team that Nova hasn't had as many problems playing in recent years like other CAA leaders. I do think they are better & this will be a slugfest. Nova escapes in NY's state capital 17-10

Week 5: Next up is Towson down just outside the Charm City. Towson won 2 years ago in Bednarczyk's frosh season with 2 pick 6s. Don't see that happening this game, but any CAA road game is a tough game. I see Nova having trouble here, but they are the better team on paper. Nove goes to 4-1 with a 28-21 win.

Week 6: Maine visits the Main Line in an early October tilt. The Black Bears will keep it close, but the 'Cats are the better team overall & at home. Nova goes to 5-1 with 21-7 win.

Week 7: The bully in the CAA playground is next as the Cats travel to JMU. It was Nova who stifled the JMU potent offense last season before turnovers gave JMU 10 easy 4th quarter points in the 20-7 win, but it would be a homer call by me to think Nova wins here. JMU gives Nova all they want and a beat down 35-14 to drop Villanova to 5-2 overall & 3-1 in CAA.

Week 8: Elon will improve quickly under new coach, but they catch Nova at the wrong time. Ticked from the JMU drubbing & with a bye week its too much for the improved Phoenix to overcome. Nova gets back to their winning ways with a 31-7 win.

Week 9: The Cats now have the most pivotal game of their season with the Richmond Spiders at home. The Spiders shutout the Cats last season 23-0 scoring a late TD instead of taking a knee. I think Nova coaches, players & loyal fans will have that on their mind, but they better be prepared for Lauletta & company.
A great CAA game goes to the wire with the Cats getting the small edge at home. Cats 28-24.

Week 10: Expect a let down here as Cats travel to Rhode Island. The Rams may be improved this season or face another coaching regime next season. The Cats struggle here, but not enough to lose. Cats 24-10.

Week 11: A Rocco coached Delaware team invades Nova with a possible playoff spot in the line. Nova has dominated this series winning 10 of last 11. Not bad for the basketball school in this rivalry. Delaware is physical & will be ready for Nova. I can't believe I'm going to write this, but I think Nova will stub their toe somewhere in their schedule & this is as good as spot as any. Delaware 17 Villanova 14

Nova loses a playoff bye with loss to Delaware to finish 8-3.

They still get a home home game and play NEC champ Duquesne. Duquesne gives them a scare, but in the end it's Nova 27-17.

Next up is a trip to UNH (doesn't every team that doesn't get a bye in the east go through UNH?) Another nail biter, but somehow Nova pulls it out 24-21. On to JMU.

JMU ends Villanova's season in the National semi- final. JMU is just a cut above. NDSU east at the least. Nova plays a much better game than its regular season showing, but drop a 34-24 contest.

All in all a good season for Nova. I have them 10-4 with 2 losses to JMU. We beat Delaware then it could be a 11-3 season.

citdog
August 19th, 2017, 11:25 AM
8-3. Share SoCon Title with either woffy, samford, or chatty.

JSUSoutherner
August 19th, 2017, 11:54 AM
Beat UTC. Make GT very uncomfortable. Run the rest of the table.

NDSU in Jacksonville in the Semis.

Grizalltheway
August 19th, 2017, 12:03 PM
8-3, losses to UW, UND and Weber.

Daytripper
August 19th, 2017, 12:10 PM
Finish 10-1 with the loss being to UCA, who goes undefeated in conference. Get at-large bid into playoffs.

Milktruck74
August 19th, 2017, 12:22 PM
Finish 10-1 with the loss being to UCA, who goes undefeated in conference. Get at-large bid into playoffs.

So are y'all not keeping score in the Richmond game? I was thinking 9-2....but if it is just an exhibition game, than only one loss makes sense. xeyebrowx

Milktruck74
August 19th, 2017, 12:29 PM
I'm saying anything over 7-4 is a good season for the Transitioning Mocs (I remember when we were elated with a 6 win WINNING SEASON), Rebuilding, Retooling, Reloading... I would love to be surprised (and it is feasible) to see 10-1....Hell, if we went 1-10, I'd be ok with it, as long as it was the first one!!!!! We match up well with everyone on the schedule....problem is they match up well against us too!!!

caribbeanhen
August 19th, 2017, 12:33 PM
2017 Villanova Wildcats.

1st time since football returned in 1985 the head coach won't be Andy Talley. The change in the head coach is about as seamless as it gets with longtime associate head coach Mark Ferrante taking over.

Villanova lost DC Billy Crocker to UConn and that may be felt more than Talley retiring. Crocker put together the #1 defense in FCS last season & his aggressive style 3-3-5 defense may change a bit under new DC Joe Trainer.

Team will have to replace the CAA Defensive Player of the Year Tanoh Kpassagnon who is turning heads with the KC Chiefs, 3rd team all- CAA DE Brian Osei, 1st team All-CAA LB Austin Calitro (in 49ers camp), & OL starters Nico DeAngelo & Tennesse Titan draftee Brad Seaton.

RS Junior QB Zach Bednarczyk has to step up in the big games. Statistically he had a decent season, but those numbers shrunk in the 4 losses against Pitt, Richmond, JMU, & SDSU. Bednarczyk will continue to lead a run first offense that has several RB candidates going into the season led by junior Aaron Forbes (800+ yards) & senior Matt Gudzak (our Danny Woodhead). The OLine will need to find a new LT & LG, but they have 3 experienced players back led by JR. RT Ethan " Big E" Greenidge. He's 6'5" 330lbs with good feet who may be the next NFL bound Cat.

Wide Receivers & Slot positions have many to choose from here. Look for Sr. Taurus Phillips & Jr. Jarrett McClenton to give them excellent production from the slot. The Cats lack the big play receiver on the outside and look for Sr. Alex Padovani, Sophomores Brandon Chadbourn, Changa Hodge, & Zach Kerxton split time here.

Defensively it's unrealistic to think Villanova will lead the nation statistically, but they should continue to be a strong unit. Replacing Kpassagnon won't be easy, but sophomores Jafonta Johnson, Jeff Wiley, & Aaron Seigle need to step up or this will be a position of weakness on a other wise solid unit.

Returning 3rd team All-CAA senior LB Ed Shockley & junior MLB Jeff Steeb return after both tied for the team lead in tackles with 86 a piece. Look for sophomore Drew Wiley to take Calitro's spot. He flashed brilliance against Pitt & will give Nova one of the nation's better LB units. Sophomore LB Keeling Hunter could get time also.

The defensive backfield could be the best in CAA & maybe the nation. Pre-season All-American safety Rob Rolle leads a veteran group with seniors Malik Reeves, Trey Johnson, Rashawn Stewart, & sophomore Julian Williams.

The boomin' Aussie 1st team All-CAA punter John Hinchen is back for his senior season & junior Gerard Smith should improve or at least that's the hope.

Week 1:Lehigh is a challenge right off the bat, but I think Nova has the winning blue print to beat the Mountain Hawks. I expect the 'Csts to win the TOP & play keep away with their strong run game against a 4-2-5 defense with poor tacklers & unproven LBs. Cats 28-20

Week 2:Temple will be a tough game unless the Owls upset ND the week before and forget they have a game the following week vs. Nova. 31-7 Temple

Week 3: Lafayette will benefit from the annual FBS hangover that Nova has & keep it closer than it should be.

Week 4: Albany is an upstart CAA team that Nova hasn't had as many problems playing in recent years like other CAA leaders. I do think they are better & this will be a slugfest. Nova escapes in NY's state capital 17-10

Week 5: Next up is Towson down just outside the Charm City. Towson won 2 years ago in Bednarczyk's frosh season with 2 pick 6s. Don't see that happening this game, but any CAA road game is a tough game. I see Nova having trouble here, but they are the better team on paper. Nove goes to 4-1 with a 28-21 win.

Week 6: Maine visits the Main Line in an early October tilt. The Black Bears will keep it close, but the 'Cats are the better team overall & at home. Nova goes to 5-1 with 21-7 win.

Week 7: The bully in the CAA playground is next as the Cats travel to JMU. It was Nova who stifled the JMU potent offense last season before turnovers gave JMU 10 easy 4th quarter points in the 20-7 win, but it would be a homer call by me to think Nova wins here. JMU gives Nova all they want and a beat down 35-14 to drop Villanova to 5-2 overall & 3-1 in CAA.

Week 8: Elon will improve quickly under new coach, but they catch Nova at the wrong time. Ticked from the JMU drubbing & with a bye week its too much for the improved Phoenix to overcome. Nova gets back to their winning ways with a 31-7 win.

Week 9: The Cats now have the most pivotal game of their season with the Richmond Spiders at home. The Spiders shutout the Cats last season 23-0 scoring a late TD instead of taking a knee. I think Nova coaches, players & loyal fans will have that on their mind, but they better be prepared for Lauletta & company.
A great CAA game goes to the wire with the Cats getting the small edge at home. Cats 28-24.

Week 10: Expect a let down here as Cats travel to Rhode Island. The Rams may be improved this season or face another coaching regime next season. The Cats struggle here, but not enough to lose. Cats 24-10.

Week 11: A Rocco coached Delaware team invades Nova with a possible playoff spot in the line. Nova has dominated this series winning 10 of last 11. Not bad for the basketball school in this rivalry. Delaware is physical & will be ready for Nova. I can't believe I'm going to write this, but I think Nova will stub their toe somewhere in their schedule & this is as good as spot as any. Delaware 17 Villanova 14

They still get a home home game and play NEC champ Duquesne. Duquesne gives them a scare, but in the end it's Nova 27-17.

Next up is a trip to UNH (doesn't every team that doesn't get a bye in the east go through UNH?) Another nail biter, but somehow Nova pulls it out 24-21. On to JMU.

JMU ends Villanova's season in the National semi- final. JMU is just a cut above. NDSU east at the least. Nova plays a much better game than its regular season showing, but drop a 34-24 contest.

All in all a good season for Nova. I have them 10-4 with 2 losses to JMU. We beat Delaware then it could be a 11-3 season.

this is a very informative write up gangtackle, better than anything you will find anywhere, thanks for doing it.

P.S. Yep, Delaware is due for a win against the basketball school but we'll see how you feel about that prediction in a few months..

JALMOND
August 19th, 2017, 02:02 PM
1 (definite loss) to 10 (definite win), Portland State's schedule,

BYU (2), Portland State bringing in a true freshman and many new faces. BYU also has a QB that didn't play much last year, but still seasoned, and a bunch of new players.
Oregon State (2), If the Beavers weren't playing Week 0, maybe a better chance, but they should be able to correct mistakes made against Colorado State to treat the Viks as a stepping stone.
UC-Davis (7), At home and the Aggies are rebuilding under Hawkins. PSU should get this one.
Montana (5), Griz travel well and moving the game out of Portland does not bode well for PSU attendance. Coin flip.
Montana State (4), Bobcats building on momentum from the end of last season. At Bozeman, always a tough place for the Viks to play.
Northern Arizona (4), Cookus, Butler. Need I say more. Viking secondary better be ready.
Idaho State (7), Bengals in disarray, should be a win for the Viks, but a road win in the conference is always tough.
North Dakota (3), Hawks probably the most complete team in the conference. Viks are at home, hoping the Hawks have some key injuries by then, in order to have a shot.
Cal Poly (3), Walsh loves sticking it to the Viks and he'll have another chance this year. Road game, late in the year, Viks may need some luck.
Weber State (5), Wildcats may be looking for a playoff berth at this time, but the game is in Portland and Viks should be up for it.
Eastern Washington (4), Eagles should also be looking for the playoffs, and the game is on the road, but the Viks seem to play the Eagles tough every year. Viks may need some help to get a win, however.

Schism55
August 19th, 2017, 02:03 PM
2017 Villanova Wildcats.

No, just ****ing no. Knock it off.

SU DOG
August 19th, 2017, 02:11 PM
For me, anything less than the Playoffs will be a big disappointment. I would like to say we can win the SoCon, but this league is far tougher than most folks across the land realize. The Wofford Terriers would have to be the pick right now, IMO, and we play them there. I think they probably should have been in the NC last year. Besides Wofford however, there are several others that could pull the upset and be the conference champ.

For those of us who have seen our fall camp and scrimmages, there is every reason to be optimistic. Our O-Line last season looked like Tarzan and played like Jane. Now, we admittedly have some young players who must gel. They do look quicker and better than those they replaced. This group does not include any true Fr. however, and still has good size with an average of 6-5, 291 pounds, and they can ALL move. Our pitiful running game has been a point of emphasis, and a true Fr. might just be a BIG help here. This player is a former track star and RB in Florida who has electrified us in fall camp. Hodges has looked in mid-season form, and anything you hear about WR concerns, take with a grain of salt. Yeah Hamilton is probably not replaceable now, but the receptions will be spread around to a group of VERY fast, experienced, and talented WRs.

Our most impressive group this spring and fall has been our defense. Kennesaw State will be a measuring stick for how well we can play the option. If we struggle there, it may be indicative of a long year. I don't think that will be the case, however. As always, and with any team, this is providing the injury bug doesn't bite hard.

GO DOGS!!!!!

Scrappy94
August 19th, 2017, 02:13 PM
Chattanooga will go 9-2 (7-1). Wins: JSU, UTM, VMI, WCU, Furman, Mercer, The Citadel, Samford, and ETSU. Losses: LSU and Wofford. Not enough people are giving Coach Arth respect or credit. I am very impressed with him. With what I've seen from him, and the number of letter-men we have returning (the most we've had from one season to the next in 20 years), I think we are poised for an outstanding season. Our defense will be just as good if not better than previous years. Having a former NFL quarterback as head coach should boost our offense.

SU DOG
August 19th, 2017, 02:18 PM
Chattanooga will go 9-2 (7-1). Wins: JSU, UTM, VMI, WCU, Furman, Mercer, The Citadel, Samford, and ETSU. Losses: LSU and Wofford. Not enough people are giving Coach Arth respect or credit. I am very impressed with him, and think he is going to have an outstanding season.

That's some mighty impressive wins. Sure you don't want to just throw LSU and Woffy in there too? xlolx

Scrappy94
August 19th, 2017, 02:22 PM
Loss to UTC. Make GT very uncomfortable. Run the rest of the table.

NDSU in Jacksonville in the Semis.

FIFY

JSUSoutherner
August 19th, 2017, 02:50 PM
FIFY

xrolleyesx

Milktruck74
August 19th, 2017, 02:56 PM
For me, anything less than the Playoffs will be a big disappointment. I would like to say we can win the SoCon, but this league is far tougher than most folks across the land realize. The Wofford Terriers would have to be the pick right now, IMO, and we play them there. I think they probably should have been in the NC last year. Besides Wofford however, there are several others that could pull the upset and be the conference champ.

For those of us who have seen our fall camp and scrimmages, there is every reason to be optimistic. Our O-Line last season looked like Tarzan and played like Jane. Now, we admittedly have some young players who must gel. They do look quicker and better than those they replaced. This group does not include any true Fr. however, and still has good size with an average of 6-5, 291 pounds, and they can ALL move. Our pitiful running game has been a point of emphasis, and a true Fr. might just be a BIG help here. This player is a former track star and RB in Florida who has electrified us in fall camp. Hodges has looked in mid-season form, and anything you hear about WR concerns, take with a grain of salt. Yeah Hamilton is probably not replaceable now, but the receptions will be spread around to a group of VERY fast, experienced, and talented WRs.

Our most impressive group this spring and fall has been our defense. Kennesaw State will be a measuring stick for how well we can play the option. If we struggle there, it may be indicative of a long year. I don't think that will be the case, however. As always, and with any team, this is providing the injury bug doesn't bite hard.

GO DOGS!!!!!

First, congrats on teaching that old dog (Hatch) new tricks....Defense. Second, ONLY Two teams in the SoCon run the option....so you based on this, you beat all the option teams (an no others), and you are 3-8??????? Hmmmmmm.

SU DOG
August 19th, 2017, 03:21 PM
First, congrats on teaching that old dog (Hatch) new tricks....Defense. Second, ONLY Two teams in the SoCon run the option....so you based on this, you beat all the option teams (an no others), and you are 3-8??????? Hmmmmmm.

Wow, I've heard of misquotes and reading something not there into a quote, but this is unbelievable. Not being able to stop the option in this first game would certainly show a weakness on the corners. I don't know of ANY team in the SoCon who doesn't try to get wide on sweeps, speed options, etc. at times. I didn't realize that such a simple statement could be so misconstrued.

Bucs2016
August 19th, 2017, 03:22 PM
That is ambitious considering the mass exodus that happened during the off season

Mass exodus of coaches, all moved up to higher profile jobs, so it wasnt a negative exodus. Mark Tucker stayed. Roster is stacked. Schedule favorable.

citdog
August 19th, 2017, 03:23 PM
Chattanooga will go 9-2 (7-1). Wins: JSU, UTM, VMI, WCU, Furman, Mercer, The Citadel, Samford, and ETSU. Losses: LSU and Wofford. Not enough people are giving Coach Arth respect or credit. I am very impressed with him. With what I've seen from him, and the number of letter-men we have returning (the most we've had from one season to the next in 20 years), I think we are poised for an outstanding season. Our defense will be just as good if not better than previous years. Having a former NFL quarterback as head coach should boost our offense.

Let us know when Arth begins shaving. He is going to find out there is a HUGE difference in the quality of coaching from where he came from.

Milktruck74
August 19th, 2017, 03:41 PM
Wow, I've heard of misquotes and reading something not there into a quote, but this is unbelievable. Not being able to stop the option in this first game would certainly show a weakness on the corners. I don't know of ANY team in the SoCon who doesn't try to get wide on sweeps, speed options, etc. at times. I didn't realize that such a simple statement could be so misconstrued.

Been watching any political speeches lately? words matter, choose them wisely!!! hahahah.

Lehigh'98
August 19th, 2017, 04:32 PM
2017 Villanova Wildcats.

A for effort on this post Gang. Wow. Didn't realize you lost your D.C. To UConn.

ST_Lawson
August 19th, 2017, 04:41 PM
@ Tennessee Tech - Win (1-0)
@ Northern Arizona - Close Win (2-0)
@ Coastal Carolina - Close Loss (2-1)
vs South Dakota (Homecoming) - Win (3-1)
@ Northern Iowa - Close Win (4-1)
vs Missouri State - Win (5-1)
@ North Dakota State - Loss (5-2)
vs South Dakota State - Loss (5-3)
@ Illinois State - Close Loss (5-4)
@ Indiana State - Win (6-4)
vs Southern Illinois - Close Win (7-4)

Final Record - 7-4, playing in the first round of the playoffs, probably against someone like Central Arkansas, North Dakota, or UT-Chattanooga.

Bonus Round - Steve McShane rushes for more than 100 yards per game (average) on the season, Brett Taylor is second in the FCS in total tackles (behind DeLuca), and while our DBs aren't stellar, they are much improved over last year.

NorthChuckSouth
August 19th, 2017, 07:20 PM
Its here. 7 days away. Game week is here for some FCS teams. So lets Babe Ruth it and call your teams shot!!!

Mine...Charleston Southern 2017: 8-3, 3-peat as Big South Champions. Round 1 playoffs @ The Citadel, tossup

We return Coach Tucker, the secret weapon behind Chadwells great run here...BUT all other coaches are gone so thats gonna be a huge change. We lose 2 record setting RBs and 1 OL who is in the NFL now, plus a couple secondary veterans.

But...we return arguably one of the top 5 defensive front 7s in FCS. Some nice secondary replacements. A couple of very physically gifted WRs. A rock solid OL. AND...several QBs with starting experience including the 2016 starter who is on a few watch lists.

Schedule....
We likely lose opener to Mississippi State.
SC State and Elon on the road could be tricky.
Liberty, Monmouth and GWU will be scrappy tough games.
But we should win 4 of the above 6. Ill concede MSU. LU wont count since they're FBS transition but I have a feeling they're due to beat us this year. Aaaaaand....I'll throw in an upset loss to SCSU or Elon.

We'll play at Kennesaw State on Nov 11, win in OT to win the BSC for 3rd year in a row. KSU is gonna be very good. But they run triple option and our Front 7 is just lights out this year. We are a match up nightmare for them and in their first 2 years we've shut their offense down completely.

We'll get seeded lowish...20-24 range. Probably face The Citadel in 1st round in the typically brutal "South Carolina Bracket" although now they cant put Coastal in it anymore. This game will be a tossup. Their QB and primary RB are very good players. But we are excellent vs the option. However....I think their veteran group pulls it out and we finish 8-4.

10-1 regular season - lose in quarters or semis

citdog
August 19th, 2017, 07:42 PM
10-1 regular season - lose in quarters or semis

Must be nice to play in a league with teams that make the patsy league look tough.

Grizalltheway
August 19th, 2017, 07:59 PM
Must be nice to play in a league with teams that make the patsy league look tough.
Funny how Citadel has only become relevant in the SoCon now that the two best programs are gone.xcoffeex

Redbird 4th & short
August 19th, 2017, 08:07 PM
Assigned probability win for each game .. 1.0 is 100% probability or confidence, while 0.5 is 50/50. My probability picks add up to 7.5, so I have us going 7-4 to 8-3. Two things working against us our just 5 home games and 4 of 5 new OL .. but our schedule is accidental genius with games being played in nearly perfect ascending order using Massey ranking. If OL develops like we believe, I can see 8 or 9 wins. If they do ok, I can see 7 wins, and even remote chance of 6 wins as worst case scenario.

My pick is 8-3 and we are peaking in times for playoffs. Most likely upset of us, MoST or SIU .. both on road. Massey has going 8-3 as well.

G
H/A
Opp - Lost Starters
off
def
tot
tckls
Win Prob - c0mment

H
Butler
45%
1.0 - easy win

A
Eastern Illinois
41%
0.8 - tough road win by 7 to 10

A
Missouri State
27%
0.8 - tough road win by 7 to 10

H
Indiana State
43%
0.9 - easy win by 3 TDs

A
Northern Arizona
50%
0.8 - tough road win by 7-10, high scoring

A
Southern Illinois
27%
0.7 - tough win by 3-7

H
South Dakota
40%
0.9 - somewhat easy win by 14

A
Youngstown State
59%
0.7 - tough road win by 7 to 10

H
Western Illinois
7%
0.8 - tough win by 7 to 10

A
South Dakota State
38%
0.2 - likely loss on road

H
North Dakota State
26%
0.4 - probable home loss

-
-
Northern Iowa
36%
not scheduled

-
-
Illinois State
32%
not playing ourselves

The off, def, tot, tckls are from keepers lost starters grid. Much unlike last years schedule, there are not a lot of strong defenses early in season.

Bisonwinagn
August 19th, 2017, 08:09 PM
NDSU will go 10-1 with one conference loss and end up with a top 2 seed. Expecting a typical year with an improved defense.

citdog
August 19th, 2017, 09:24 PM
Funny how Citadel has only become relevant in the SoCon now that the two best programs are gone.xcoffeex

Yet two years after their departure the SoCon put more teams in the playoffs than the Big Fluffy... Where was Montana?

cx500d
August 19th, 2017, 10:11 PM
Yet two years after their departure the SoCon put more teams in the playoffs than the Big Fluffy... Where was Montana?

Fending off reverse carpetbaggers...

citdog
August 19th, 2017, 10:32 PM
Fending off reverse carpetbaggers...

Very true. The Griz, however, were sitting home watching on ESPN3.

cx500d
August 19th, 2017, 10:42 PM
Very true. The Griz, however, were sitting home watching on ESPN3.

They needed their wounds licked by a Kitty.

UNHWildcat18
August 19th, 2017, 10:57 PM
New Hampshire will win all 5 of its home games but be 6-4 entering the final game of the season @ Albany. UNH will win a close game and sneak into the playoffs with 7-4 record again for the 4th time in the last 5 seasons annoying all the cry-babies in the FCS community including Albany head coach Greg Gattuso who's team will also be 7-4, but not in the playoffs. UNH will beat a Patriot League team in the first round and lose to a conference opponent in game 2. In other words, same as usual.

As hilarious as this is I disagree.
I see us winning Maine, URI, Holy Cross, Bryant, Towson, Elon, Stony Brook = 7
Most likely to lose= JMU,GSU
hardest games we need to win= Ualbany, W&M

I truly see us losing only one of the bottom to games so I see us at 8-3. People forget we had a very young defense that only got better along with our offense. The season will rely on QB play and OL play

Gangtackle11
August 20th, 2017, 07:04 AM
this is a very informative write up gangtackle, better than anything you will find anywhere, thanks for doing it.

P.S. Yep, Delaware is due for a win against the basketball school but we'll see how you feel about that prediction in a few months..

I always feel cautious when playing the "Dirty Birds". A lot depends on the state of both teams in November. You get any kind of decent QB play & it will be a bloody war & probable win you are in & lose go home game.

First Lehigh.

NorthChuckSouth
August 20th, 2017, 10:26 AM

Yeah forreal.. Western, ETSU, Mercer and VMI are real powerhouses, huh?

underdawg
August 20th, 2017, 11:21 AM
IF we stay healthy optimistic 6-5, 7-4n for SIU Salukis--QB Sam Straub (6-4, 235) is one of the better QBs in the MVFC but if he gets hurt???? Those record may not seem like much, but you have to learn to walk (win close games) before you run

citdog
August 20th, 2017, 11:27 AM
Yeah forreal.. Western, ETSU, Mercer and VMI are real powerhouses, huh?

I have no doubt that WCU and Mercer would be the 2nd and 3rd best team in your league and possibly challenge y'all for the league crown. ETSU is a work in progress and VMI is well VMI.

TheValleyRaider
August 20th, 2017, 11:56 AM
T-minus 6 days until the season begins xnodx

Biggest question mark to me is QB. Our offense relies heavily on the QB's decision-making, so we'll see who winds up replacing Melville. Plenty of options, though I haven't heard anything regarding one of the contenders taking the job. Guessing game notes/depth chart will be released Tuesday, so we'll have some answers then. Maddaluna will be tough to replace as the top WR, and while there are options, it'll be good for one of them to step forward as the reliable go-to option.

On defense, only 3 starters return from last year's finale against Georgetown. Lots of guys on the 2-deep, though, got some reps, including PL Defensive POY Afriyie and ROY Daramy. I suspect the defense will be similar to year's past, good enough to keep us in games, probably not stingy enough to win a game where the offense really struggles (at least against the better part of our schedule).

Looking at the schedule, some ratings 1 (no confidence) to 10 (will win)
at Cal Poly (4) Tough road trip against a playoff team with an unusual offense. Excited about opening the season and getting to watch a national broadcast, but with our ??? we'll see about winning.
Richmond (4) Want to believe, especially after a strong showing last year in Virginia, but the Spiders will be healthy, and are in the nation's top tier. A win would more good than a loss would be bad.
at Buffalo (3) I want to be confident about taking on the Bulls, and they're probably not as good as UR, but we'll see about those extra scholarships.
Furman (6) A traditional power that hasn't been good for a few years. They gave us a thumping a few years ago in a home-and-home, and I think it's time to return the favor. New staff in Greenville could be a wild card, but if we're any good, we should feel good about our chances in this one.
at Cornell (8) This would be a 9 if we hadn't blown last year's matchup. Time to start a new streak.
Lehigh (4) Love getting the Hawks at home, and while they are skilled and experienced, we have a shot to match them in Hamilton.
Fordham (5) Total toss-up in my mind, especially after 2 straight one-score games. Winner is with LU in the League race, though both could certainly ruin the Hawks' campaign.
at Holy Cross (6) The Crusaders usually play us tough in Worcester, and while Pujals has played well against us, they need more than a QB.
Bucknell (7) I expect a tough, close game, but as this is the final home game, the offense finds enough to get past a listless Bison attack.
at Lafayette (7) Facing a new coaching staff later in the year makes this a tough game to call so far out. Unless Garrett is a real miracle-worker, though, the Leopards are still behind us in talent.
at Georgetown (8) Again, this far out is hard to really guess, but without significant injuries on our end, hard to see us dropping one to the Hoyas.

This would say 7-4 (5-1) or 6-5 (4-2) depending on the Fordham toss-up. No playoffs unless we win a tiebreaker for the PL title (could happen, but too many weird permutations for this exercise). Definitely a big gap in difficulty between the first (3 2016 playoff teams, a FBS, 2 rivals) and second halves of the season. If a few pieces work out, some of these could flip as well, but that's my feeling as of today.

KPSUL
August 20th, 2017, 12:10 PM
T-minus 6 days until the season begins xnodx

Looking at the schedule, some ratings 1 (no confidence) to 10 (will win)
at Cal Poly (4) Tough road trip against a playoff team with an unusual offense. Excited about opening the season and getting to watch a national broadcast, but with our ??? we'll see about winning.
Richmond (4) Want to believe, especially after a strong showing last year in Virginia, but the Spiders will be healthy, and are in the nation's top tier. A win would more good than a loss would be bad.
at Buffalo (3) I want to be confident about taking on the Bulls, and they're probably not as good as UR, but we'll see about those extra scholarships.
Furman (6) A traditional power that hasn't been good for a few years. They gave us a thumping a few years ago in a home-and-home, and I think it's time to return the favor. New staff in Greenville could be a wild card, but if we're any good, we should feel good about our chances in this one.

Colgate plays a killer OOC schedule. Best of luck!

mtjack
August 20th, 2017, 12:30 PM
Another 5-6 or 6-5 season crushes my soul.

KPSUL
August 20th, 2017, 01:33 PM
As hilarious as this is I disagree.
I see us winning Maine, URI, Holy Cross, Bryant, Towson, Elon, Stony Brook = 7
Most likely to lose= JMU,GSU
hardest games we need to win= Ualbany, W&M

I truly see us losing only one of the bottom to games so I see us at 8-3. People forget we had a very young defense that only got better along with our offense. The season will rely on QB play and OL play

It's too elusive trying to guess exactly which games will be wins and which will be losses. There are usually surprises, both ways, each season.

I don't see Albany as distinctively better than Stony Brook and Maine - mainly because I don't think Ibitokun-Hanks will be an impact player for Albany in 2017. It's very rare to see a RB return to the highest level of play after reconstructive ACL surgery, and IB-Hanks started practicing only 8.5 months after his surgery. He's not currently practicing due to a "minor" re-injury to the same knee, but even if he plays most of the 2017, he'll be a half-step slower and plagued by thoughts of re-injury.

Like you, I have a lot of optimism about the defense this year and although we don't have a seasoned RB, the 4 on the roster could result in a very effective running game. We have all of our productive WRs back and if Trevor Knight can show more confidence and savvy after a year as a starter than I wouldn't be surprised to see UNH 7-1 and even 8-0 when they visit JMU on October 28.

Go...gate
August 20th, 2017, 08:54 PM
Colgate: 6-5, 4-2 Patriot League. Not in the playoffs this year but I believe we could pull an OOC upset.

F'N Hawks
August 20th, 2017, 10:41 PM
North Dakota: 8-3. Buy a first round playoff game and get their first win. Losses to Utah, Montana, and SUU (tough place to play). The swing game is at South Dakota. That will be a 3 point game either way but history says UND will win.

BisonTru
August 20th, 2017, 10:54 PM
9-2: Early loss to EWU, then the team stiffens up and plays lights out getting thru the Valley unscathed till a disappointing letdown @ISU at the end of the season.

Go on the road in the Semi's on the way to the start of a minimum 8 peat. xsmiley_wix

Mattymc727
August 21st, 2017, 07:09 AM
9-2. Trevor will surprise us this year.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
August 23rd, 2017, 02:29 PM
I have no doubt that WCU and Mercer would be the 2nd and 3rd best team in your league and possibly challenge y'all for the league crown. ETSU is a work in progress and VMI is well VMI.

That work in progress won five games last year (one of which was against Samford) and we bring just about everyone back.Don't be surprised if you see us improve from last season.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
August 23rd, 2017, 02:44 PM
ETSU 2017 season. I believe I will see improvement from last season.

Limestone W 1-0 - Win your first game in your new stadium? Yes
James Madison L 1-1 - Beat the defending national champions? No.
The Citadel L 0-1, 1-2 - Beat the defending SoCon champions? No.
Mercer W 1-1, 2-2 - Finally get our first win.
Furman W 2-1, 3-2 - This game will be much more competitive.
Robert Morris W 2-1, 4-2 - We win our Homecoming game.
Western Carolina W 3-1, 5-2 - Call us butter because we're on a roll.
Wofford L 3-2, 5-3 - Bucs comes crashing down to earth.
VMI W 4-2, 6-3 - But we rebound against VMI.
Samford L 4-3, 6-4 - Bulldogs avenge last year's loss
Chattanooga L 4-4, 6-5 - Mocs show us we're not there yet.

As stated from earlier, I believe ETSU can get to six wins with four conference wins.

ElCid
August 23rd, 2017, 02:59 PM
ETSU 2017 season. I believe I will see improvement from last season.

Limestone W 1-0 - Win your first game in your new stadium? Yes
James Madison L 1-1 - Beat the defending national champions? No.
The Citadel L 0-1, 1-2 - Beat the defending SoCon champions? No.
Mercer W 1-1, 2-2 - Finally get our first win.
Furman W 2-1, 3-2 - This game will be much more competitive.
Robert Morris W 2-1, 4-2 - We win our Homecoming game.
Western Carolina W 3-1, 5-2 - Call us butter because we're on a roll.
Wofford L 3-2, 5-3 - Bucs comes crashing down to earth.
VMI W 4-2, 6-3 - But we rebound against VMI.
Samford L 4-3, 6-4 - Bulldogs avenge last year's loss
Chattanooga L 4-4, 6-5 - Mocs show us we're not there yet.

As stated from earlier, I believe ETSU can get to six wins with four conference wins.

Could happen, but I think you only win one, maybe two from Furman, Mercer, WCU, and VMI not four. Another upset against Wofford, Samford, The Citadel, UTC is always possible as we have seen. I would say 2-9 at worst, to 4-7 at best. Getting everyone back is nice though.

walliver
August 24th, 2017, 09:45 AM
Wofford should go 9-2 (losses to South Carolina and one of Citadel/Chatty/Sammy), but somehow will lose an unexpected game and finish 8-3.
The NCAA will then abandon the South Carolina bracket and send us out west in the playoffs.

ElCid
August 24th, 2017, 10:08 AM
Wofford should go 9-2 (losses to South Carolina and one of Citadel/Chatty/Sammy), but somehow will lose an unexpected game and finish 8-3.
The NCAA will then abandon the South Carolina bracket and send us out west in the playoffs.

I will believe it when I see it.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 24th, 2017, 11:06 AM
Lehigh 10-1, win a first round playoff game

Villanova (W) - This Lehigh team is built to compete and beat the top teams in the FCS. First home win against a Top 25 CAA team since 2013 (UNH)
@ Monmouth (W) - payback for last year. Monmouth is in trouble...
Yale (W) - The Eli's first game of the year means they'll be a couple of steps behind.
Penn (W) - Lehigh has dominated Penn the last two years. This game figures to be closer but Lehigh wins by 10 at home
@ Wagner (W) - Decent NEC team but Lehigh wins by 3 TDs
@ Colgate (W) - Tough game against a fierce conference rival but the tundra isn't frozen yet. Lehigh fans might outnumber the 'Gate faithful..
Georgetown (W) - Lehigh has won 16 straight against the Hoyas. This will be ugly...
@ Fordham (L) - Rams get payback for last year's massacre at Goodman
@ Bucknell (W) - Bison usually play Lehigh tough but generally lose (2 wins against LU in 20 years) but you need an offense to beat the Mountain Hawks.
Holy Cross (W) - Lehigh has owned the Crusaders recently and that likely doesn't change..
Lafayette (W) - Lafayette plays a helluva a game but falls 6 points short, 30-24....

Matt
August 24th, 2017, 12:11 PM
Richmond- 9-2 (2 playoff wins)

@SHSU (L)- big-time shootout. Who can get the 1-2 stops they need. Gut says it won't be us. Similar to JMU game last year. (I might be intimidated by the gaudy numbers against bad teams)
@Colgate (W)- we had trouble with this team last year, but we also played pretty badly in that game, coming off a horrible performance against Stony Brook. Lauletta goes off in this one.
Howard- Richmond by ~40.
Elon (W)- man, poor Elon. They really need a conference switch.
Albany (W)- this team has given us trouble both of the last two years, but a lot of that has been due to turnover issues. Take care of the ball and this should be a comfortable win.
@Towson (W)- not sure what to say here. Towson is often feisty, but this isn't the Towson of a few years ago. Richmond is going to win this.
@Delaware (W)- this team is not losing to Danny Rocco. Also, Rocco will turn that UD program around, but it's not going to be in one year.
Stony Brook (W)- this will be a revenge game after getting humiliated last year. IIRC we had turnover issues in this game. This is a program on the rise, but assuming we are healthy, Richmond has too much talent all over the field.
@Villanova (W)- i am not very confident about this pick. Nova has historically given this program trouble, regardless of who is coaching. That's probably somewhat a coincidence, but we tend to struggle. Also, Nova will want revenge after getting shut out last year. This will be a close one.
@JMU (L)- I'm tempted to pick us for this one. I'm not gonna look it up but i think the away team has won like 9 of the last 13 or something crazy like that (in all the games ive seen against the dukes @ UR, i think ive seen 3 wins) , and only richmond and UD have winning records in conference against the dukes. For whatever that is worth. As usual, this should be a shoot out. JMU takes it late like last year.
W&M (W)- playing for a playoff ranking and bye, against a team we hate and have owned over the last decade. Yes, this is the exact same situation we were in last year--shut up. richmond wins big. Revenge for last year (and we are more talented assuming we don't have 36 players blow their legs off their bodies like last year)